Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    to see if there was a speed limiter, but I had a friend whose ('95, '96?) Celica GT I used to borrow quite a bit, and this car was definitely style over substance, like many of the Celicas between the mid-80s and the Y2K model.

"Also are they a true dedicated sport coupe? can they hold there own in the world of bigger faster more powerfull cars?"
    They are coupes certainly. Their performance envelope is roughly the equivalent of the present-day Corolla, with 20% better handling when the car was new, but probably about equal now given the 100K miles on the Celica. Corollas can hold their own certainly, and the Celica will be OK too. The mid-90s Celica was one of the porkiest ones ever. On the plus side. the GTs mostly had ABS, which is a good thing.

"What kind of problems cn he expect to run into with this car, estemating around 100,000 miles."
    Check those CV boots! Also, that model still had a timing belt due for replacement at 90-105K, so check it has been done or factor it into the cost of the car. That gen of Calica was a fairly low-sales one, so there aren't enough of them out there for them to get a "rep" for systemic problem areas.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Yes, the Celica loses a huge percentage of value.
    Zinger, someone proposed to me that once the Celicas are no longer available, the used prices will go up significantly. What do you guys think?

I think it is hard to pawn off a car whose standard tire is a summer tire that lasts 15k miles.

My car has 45,000 miles. The hatch doesn't stay up, never did. When new, they replaced one shock. I came back, they replaced the other. As soon as the weather got cold, the hatch would fall down. I went to the dealer, let them know that I think the parts are faulty, that they never worked. The service manager is going to pay for 2 new shocks. Wouldn't be a big deal, except the parts are $110 a piece!

I just found a TSB on this, so it was a known problem, although the dealer didn't know of this bulletin. (Makes me wonder!) I'll give a copy to the dealer, to help them get paid for the repair (?).

Anyone know if a scratched moonroof can be repaired?

No permanent snow yet. Winter tires still in a pile!
  • zingerzinger Member Posts: 61
    I was referring to the Pontiac GTO taking a huge depreciation hit after I drive it off the lot buying it new. I was going to trade my 2000 GTS 6SP but have decided to probably just keep it. It just handles too damn good to give up.

But my hatch is rattling over bumps and that is very annoying - I am going to take it in to the dealer to see if they can fix. They quoted me $100 per hour to fix.

The Celica is basically a go kart and just as much fun.
    Didn't you write this? "Problem is my GTS will probably get $10K-12K on trade. I am having a hard time doing it - even if it was straight up price wise I would still having second thoughts. My 2000 is mint and looks new."===absolutely! Don't worry about the GTO, because values on the Celicas are lousy too!

I was window shopping recently...the dealer started by offering me $9,000 for my GTS with 40K.They brought the offer up...but sheesh!

Is it your hatch rattling? When I inflated my tires just a little more, it began sounding like the swiveling cargo cover began jumping on bumps. You would think the hatch would sandwich it tight enough where it couldn't move up and down. Anyway, that's what I suspect my sound is, but not sure.
    is putting it mildly. There is nothing anywhere close to the Celica's price range that has such sharp, perfect handling (Mini comes closest, but Celica is the king). Now if only they had made the powerband with the valve lift a little wider than 6200-7800 rpm. And maybe reduced the sticker JUST a tidge...

It will be weird when the Celica is gone and the Matrix and Corolla XRS with (almost) the same powertrain are still around.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Yup - you dont realize how good it is until you get into something else. I tested the GTO for 24 hours which all the mags say has good handling. It feels like a school bus compared to GTS. GM is now offering $5K rebate on the GTO! Id buy it if I didnt have the GTS. If I did more highway driving the GTO would be the way to go but for whipping around town the Celica is more fun.

It is unfortunate Toyota didnt put some advertising behind the Celica. But it is really a small market I guess. Im 39 with 3 kids and I am the only one in it 99% of the time. Winter beater is a 94 Cutlass and we also have a Town and Country Minivan for the family. Life is too short not to drive a car that makes things interesting. I do think though that the GTO would be more fitting for someone of my age group however because at times I feel like grandpa in the GTS.
    over in the Civic SI thread someone who is 35 was saying something similar. Both cars look very young. That fact contributed to my selling mine after such a short stay with me. I had owned a number of used Celicas but never a new one, so I bought one "on instinct" when the 0% 5-year financing was available briefly around Christmas '01. But in the months I had it I got many many comments from co-workers, friends, and others about how I was "trying to regain my youth" and all this other stuff (I am 35 also), and eventually the good-natured ribbing just got a bit tiresome!
    :-)

So now I picked an RSX, the "grown-up's version" of the Civic SI and a really nice car, but one that definitely has inferior handling to that Celica. It's OK though, it has other characteristics (besides looks) that give it the edge. And now I don't get those comments any more...

I bought mine used in Jan 02 for 16700. Leather loaded 6 SP 22K miles perfect condition. I tested the RSX a year ago just to compare it with the Celica because it was rated overall higher. I decided to stick with mine. I have gotten some comments too. I dislike more the plastic interior and plastic wheel wells. The stereo does crank pretty good and I think I am going deaf from it. The car definitely draws alot of attention which I can do without. The guy from Pontiac keeps calling!
    your personality of course. Some people want to stand out and get peoples' attention, and there is nothing wrong with that. Me, I am a blend into the woodwork kind of person! :-)

The Celica had too much interior plastic for me too. Hard, kinda cheap plastic. The RSX doesn't have that, but I wouldn't mind if my car had the auto-open and cloe moonroof that the Celica has. And ohhhhh, that Celica's handling!

• celica20celica20 Member Posts: 3
    i'm trying to find an 05 celica gts. dealers tell me (1)it was discontinued in 04 to make room for scion (2)they will try to find one but not shipped to northeast this year (3) nobody wants it so they won't look for it.

Toyota consumer svc (got number from a dealer) told me (1)yes it is in production (2)it isn't being shipped to northeast but dealers can ask for a 'preference' with a dealer who has it elsewhere and get it shipped (3)they're sorry, it's being eliminated for the scion which is selling "so so".

If i don't get a celica (i love that car), what is comparable in anyone's experience. i'm considering a mitsubishi eclipse but haven't test driven it yet...oh...i'm also getting similar stories about that car,though one dealer in my area has 5 on his lot. i heard the eclipse is being discontinued next year also, and another dealer told me the 06 eclipse is in production and supposed to come out in April-June instead of September, they pushed up production. Is anyone telling the truth? i need a new car in March or so. i'm not fond of Ford's though i hear the new Mustang is good. help.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    They are making 2005 Celicas but I'm sure the number is small so they will be hard to find. A dealer should be willing to do a dealer trade to get one if they want to sell you a car. Go to another dealer if that one won't work with you. If you really want a Toyota, you might want to look into the Scion TC, which is more or less the new Celica. It may only have 160 hp, but the larger 2.4 liter engine provides much better torque and is within a few tenths of a second of the performance of the GTS.

The Eclipse is about to be redesigned. It's not being discontinued. An all new car with a supposed 260 hp 3.8 V6 will be introduced at the Detroit auto show tomorrow and should be available on the lots around April or May. You could get an excelllent deal on leftover 04 or 05 Eclipses, but the new 06 should be a much better car. But with the V6, this car is a totally different flavor from the Celica and TC.

Another good option is the Tiburon GT-V6. The days of the unreliable Hyundai are long gone. The Tib's fit and finish is excellent and other then early 03 models, reliability has been very good. I used to own an 03 V6 and it was a great car. It never saw the dealer for any repairs in the year and half I owned it. It also retains pretty good resale.
  • zombozombo Member Posts: 89
    I recently sat in a TC at the local Toyota dealer,when my Matrix was in for service.Interior fit and finish is very nice,but it's truly a midget mobile designed for the Japanese home market!At 6"3"the top of my head actually stuck partially through the sunroof!That,combined with the extra weight it carries around,giving it so-so gas mileage, make it a very poor replacement for the Celica!
  • tundradudetundradude Member Posts: 588
    I am 6'0 and could not fit or get comfortable in it. I can get comfortable in the 05 Celica though.
    month's MT for a quick run-down of what they think of the tC as a replacement of the Celica. It loses out in a field of five - the only one they seem to like less is the Focus ST sedan (no surprise there!). Basically they call the tC a jack of all trades, master of none. The Celica was a focused sporty coupe. *tear in my eye*

I have to change my answer. I finally did drive the tC and I did adjust the seat all the way down. Now I could not only fit but I was comfortable as well.

I wonder how comfortable those 00-05 Celicas are on a long trip.

Coming from a 91 Celica GT, I have already noticed that neither car isn't quite to the same standards (just comparing the drivers seat). With 191,000 on the odometer, the durablilty of the interior is just amazing. Looks like it came off the showroom floor.

However, the Celica is being sold in a couple days. I hope I can find a newer one to my liking.
    if you want a new one, you had better go get it before June, which is when the last of the new ones will head to dealers.

There was a Celica in the parking lot at the drug store today that was completely TRD'ed out, and had these ENORMOUS rims on it, they were painted white and had to be 18s or maybe 19s. As sharp as the handling already is on this car, I just can't imagine spending a ton of money on much bigger rims. It would be better spent on stuff to make it accelerate faster.

True!
    Yea, (2000 GTS) I agree. Just my opinion, but I think those huge tires are just going to exaggerate the effects of front wheel drive and 60/40 weight ratios of these types of cars. The car does hairpin turns with the 16" tires. Add a few pounds of air to stiffen them up, and, well, I feel I have a roadcourse-worthy car.

Fit and finish-something I saw on a friend's 1990's Celica, the "Fish-nose" model, whatever years those were, and am seeing on my 2000 - one of the 2 hinges on the gas tank door has rusted profoundly, and the door sticks, squeaks, doesn't seem to be aligned properly. I don't see it-but I would think this would be an NHTSA issue, having to do with the emissions, and should be fixed for free.

Tundradude-This is a tough car to ride in, period. It is so low, it is difficult to get in and out of. The seats do not provide lateral stability. Low back support is putrid. Some days I feel great physically, take a 15 minute ride, and get out feeling like a hospital stay is needed.

Aside from the quirks, I LOVE this car. Any DRIVER should.

Someday I gotta put in a radio that can interface directly with Sirius, and also play mp3's. Doesn't need FM, haha, never use that anymore.
  • dd123dd123 Member Posts: 53
    Hi Guys,

I am thinking of buying this Celica.

It is 91 model/135k miles/ red in color.

Paint seems to be faded but otherwise car looks in pretty good condition.

It is manual with 5 gears.

The manual shifts very smooth and with short throws.

I think it is turbo with 2.2L engine and Power SunRoof.

The asking price is $1600 with new tyres and new cd player.

Is it a good deal?

I have heard that one should not buy turbo engines as they dont last long and give lots of trouble.

I really like the car but scared to make a deal as I dont really have much time for repairs.

Are Celicas usually quite reliable

PLz reply asap

Thanks

DD
    are usually enormously reliable, with perhaps the exception of the Turbo All-Tracs. However, I would question whether you are really talking about one of those, which are quite rare and sought after and would likely cost a lot more than $1600 (unless it is totally trashed, which doesn't sound like it is the case). Not to mention, the turbos were 2.0L, whereas the GTs and GTSs were 2.2L.

So my guess is you are talking about a (non-turbo) GTS, in which case I would say jump in without a care, assuming it drives fine with no funny noises or smells. They are very reliable and fun to boot, and at $1600 you can't really take a dunking if you've done the usual used car checks and not come up with anything.

• dd123dd123 Member Posts: 53
    Hi
    I checked the engine and it says 2.2 litre so I guess it is non turbo according to you.
    No visible leakage, new tires, new cd player.
    The guy is selling bcaz he is moving to la from dallas so he is in kinda of urgency to just get rid of it.
    The car runs very good with no funny noise and got a clean carfax history.
    I really love the way manual was shifting.
    Let me see
    Thanks for your prompt reply.
    I just sold my 91 Celica GT HB for $2500 with 191K. So a 2.2 Celica for 1600 with 135k sounds like a great deal if the car wasn't beat to death. Those Celicas will last a long time. However, all cars no matter what they are will eventually need some repairs and maintenance.

My car had power everything, sunroof, 6-speaker radio, cruise control, fog lights, rear window wiper, and AC. This were the options on the car.

I ended up replacing my car with a xB. I haven't got it yet. I have been driving my Mom's 90 GT-S.
  • 03celica0303celica03 Member Posts: 36
    As in previous chats with Nippononly, I want the 350Z but is it worth 30k$. Should I just get an 05 Celica GTS with the TRD supercharger as this type of boost wont affect my warranty? I would be getting automatic, how much boost would the supercharger give me hp wise /torque wise? The Celica has everything good except it could use just a little more torque. But the good thing about the Celica is when you dont feel like driving hard, it will hibernate like a corolla and give you a smooth ride and 26 mpg. Pretty good for a sporty car that gives that level of performance. Now the Z which still as of 05 models has a suspension problem that eats tires anywhere from 3-8 K miles,which some owners get warrantied and some dont is my other choice. Not to mention that in my opinion the celica has better fit and finish, might be more reliable, and will surely get better mpg's when just cruising.I need to get automatic because of my traffic situation or I would consider the RX-8 but with 197hp/165lbs trq, and 3000lbs I didn't feel the auto Rx getting up and running off the line or any other time like the Z does.
    I have a 2000 GTS 6 speed. I like it but have always been a little disappointed with the lack of torque. On the highway it is very apparent. I have been comparing the 350Z and GTO and have been thinking of trading.

I have noticed very few Red 6 SP GTS's for sale.

It does seem as though the 350Z would be the perfect car -plenty of torque with the V6 and great handling. I have read about the tire, shifter, paint, problems and they are concerning.

The paint on my Celica chips just as easily.
    The Celica has plenty of hp and torque for its weight and it packs punch due to its light weight. I dont really feel any slumps in performance except when running againt a v-8 and even then when I do catch them they have to slow down due to the average cars handling and steering limitations.This is something I will miss if i get another car as I have not experienced another car with this kind of handling since my 94 RX-7 R2 Twin Turbo. 255hp and 2750 lbs of weight.That is what most cars have problems with they might have enough liters in engine size and maybe the right amount of cylinders but they are always too heavy and never have the right handling to drive the car the way the engine was made to run. What good is a high performance engine when as soon as you start pushing it you have to step on the brake because the frame of the car feels like it is 2 car lengths behind in the wrong direction.You know toyota has the right idea when the Lotus Elise is using a GTS engine with 190 hps.Weighs less than 2000lbs, heard one time it weighs 1777lbs but not sure,supercar performance with a Celica engine.Never mind waiting on a supra, just tune the Celica engine maybe to 2.0,2.2,2.4 liters get 250 hps and price it around 27,500 and that would fix everything. People will spend that money as they spend more with the Z and if 250 hps is sitting in a 2700lb celica I think it will beat the rx-8 and the Z
    thought they didn't sell the GTS with an automatic any more? So if you are going to get an '05, it won't be auto. But you likely meant getting a GT with the S/C to net out at 200 hp or so? As light as this car is, that would be a ROCKET. I think you are onto something there. My only question would be: have you checked whether there are any durability issues related to putting the TRD engine in front of the automatic without upgrading the auto? And do the TRD engines get reflashed ECUs?

zinger - have you sat in a 350Z and driven it? Not only does it feel huge and heavy to drive, but it is claustrophobic as all heck. The windows are at cheek level and there is barely space for two people in the front seats.

I would LOVE to see Toyota continue this model, using a reprogrammed and beefed up version of the Camry's engine. Heck, Honda gets 200 hp out of their 2.4L Accord engine in the TSX, why couldn't Toyota one-up them and pull 225, 240 hp out of its own? Of course, it would probably require lengthening the Celica's hood, so it would get bigger and we don't want it to get too big. But I think they could hold any increase in size to a minimum.

I think if you arder them you will be able to get an automatic GTS. Dont know about the reflashing of the ecu but i would assume that kind of adjustment would be done by the tech at the time of install.Also the TRD charger is warrantied with the bumper to bumper so i would not worry about durability.For sure a new Supra is coming but I dont think until Sept 2007 at the earliest. At that point,maybe a year afer the bugs are worked out i will change the Z for it.That saying I end up in the Nissan. There is a new eclipse GT with 260hp/260trq coming out this year that is suppose to be close to the Z but it will weigh to much and just be a little too low in power to catch the Z. The only thing that will make the big difference in these two cars is the transmission gearing. But anyway I dont like the way mitsu looks or drives and the fit and finish is bad. The old eclipse gt had 200 hp but was too heavy so you would hit the gas and the frame would drad behind, did have cool exhuast note.
    the new Eclipse will be as big as a two-door Galant and weigh a whopping 3500 pounds!!!

I have driven it. To me the windows are at the same height as the Celica. Of course the windshield is much better in the Celica. Honestly it didnt seem any more claustrophobic. The clutch is more forgiving and you dont have to shift as much to avoid driveline shutter.

It will still be very difficult to give up my GTS if I ever do.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    I had a 1982 Celica with "22R engine" and 5 spd manual that I enjoyed very much. I've never driven a Celica with the 6 spd manual. Is it better than the 5 spd manual? Someone posted on this form that they have the 6 spd but wish they had the 5 spd -- is there a problem with the 6 spd or is it just tricky to find the right gear? does the 6 spd get better mileage than the 5 spd?
    The six speed takes a little while to get used to. Once used to it, the feel is very smooth, very cool.

In my GTS I get about 30 mpg, no matter how I drive.

The six speed requires a little too much shifting. I do minimize my shifting greatly (which I've done with all manuals I've driven), by going from first to fifth when going down hills, skipping gears when coasting on level roads, etc. But the six itself would be much more useful with a high-torque engine (aka the Legend inline 6) then a "puny" 4. Lastly, it does feels kind of cool to have a model that I rarely see on the road.
    I had an '83 for many years with a 5 speed - that shifter is like a truck shifter compared to the super-close ratios and gates of the current model's 6-speed.

Someone around here recently posted that Toyota has just shipped its last Celicas to the land of the free and the brave. Bye bye Celica...

I had my GTS 6SP out over the weekend. It has been awhile because I dont drive it in the winter. Man, that car is a blast to whip around in.
    I remember when I test drove the GTS, and the salesman was in the passenger seat. When we would do street corner turns, he would be jumping up and down in his seat and yelling at me to step on the gas as I entered the turn. I did, going through 90 degree turns at HIGHLY excessive speeds, and the Celica was completely unflappable.

I know you should never say never, but I honestly think the '00-05 Celica GTS may represent the zenith of handling for all Toyota vehicles ever, in the past and future. After all, Toyota USA has come right out this week and said its future is in trucks, especially large trucks. Sporty Toyotas will become icons of the distant past, and these Celicas will not be topped...

Trucks are where the profit is now. One new environmental regulation, and *POOF*, back to tiny little sportsmobiles. They'll be back!

Hairpin turns are unbelievable. Yes, yes, yes.
    If you are a regular reader of this board you will note I have been considering trading my GTS for either the GTO or 350Z. While the Celica will not blow anybody away - do you really get the opportunity to really light em up that often anyway? You can always have fun taking turns at 35 mph without even touching the brake. The Z would probably be great too but they do seem to be having some qualty issues. So for now I am keeping it.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Yeah, I've been following some of your discussions in the GTO thread. As the fellow owner of a GTS 6-speed, I can certainly understand the allure of the available torque in that thing.

But, from everything I understand about the GTO, it drives 'big'; exactly the opposite of the Celica. When it comes time to finally sell my '00 GTS (hey, it's only got 130k miles on it, it's just starting to break-in!), I'll probably upgrade to a RX-8. I think this would be the closest in feel to my Celica (high rpm fun, razor sharp steering/brake response, and room for 4 real human!).

On a side note, I test drove a new Scion tC. This is supposed to be the replacement for the Celica? Ummmmmm, no. Not in my book.
    Wow - I have 42K miles on mine. I am not quite sure what I am saving it for. I guess I just hate driving it in the winter in the salt and snow.

Any thoughts on the 350Z?
    Zinger, it all depends on my mood. If I feel like having fun, I'll nail it getting on the freeway every single time. Those complete turn-arounds at the entrances and exits are just perfect for pushing this car. I'll be in that mood as soon as I put the sports tires back on the car. With enough pressure, I fear I could compress and blow one of these snow tires in a tight turn :)

There is a spectacular roadway out here in the park with three hairpin turns, all kinds of twisties and hills. I swear it is right out of a car commercial. Call me a nut, but when it is sunny and warm out on a Saturday, sometimes I just go there to drive it back and forth 2 or three times.

Use your car to the extent that you want. If you're happy hanging out at McDonalds on Friday night eating fries, playing Deep Purple on the radio, then being happy while still is just as powerful as racing around.

I feel people should buy what makes their heart happy. You don't need the best performer. You DO need a COOL car. Any of these will do that :)
  • gambit293gambit293 Member Posts: 406
    Hey, how good are you guys working the 6-spd?

To be honest, after four years, I still don't shift completely smoothly unless I concentrate on it. Is it even possible to shift smoothly when attempting to go WOT? Maybe I'm just a sucky shifter (I learned on the GT-S).

Seems like 1 and 2 are so far apart that you pretty much have to let the car coast for about .5-1 second to nail a smooth shift.
  • rorrrorr Member Posts: 3,630
    Honestly, the 6-spd does require a bit more attention/concentration. I'm not really sure if this is due to the nature of the powerband, the shifter, or the transmission itself. For me, the clutch takeup is nearly perfect but I've heard others say the clutch is too grabby.

I do know that my 4th gear synchros are about shot; I don't think a hard day at Texas World Speedway did them any good. I can do the 3-4 upshift great, but the 5-4 downshift grounches EVERY time. But the 5-3 downshift is great!

zinger/guitarzan - snow....snow....oh, yeah, that's that funny white stuff you guys up north have to deal with during.....what was it called again.....winter?
    After 3 years of driving this car I think I have finally got the hang of it. From a stop it always seems to be a problem of how much gas to give. Too little it bogs - too much and you over rev it. So that part has always been a problem. Try to rev it up and then pop the clutch and get that nice chirp sound which doesnt happen often enough.
    Winters in Chicago kinda suck but where else is better to live when you have a family?
    I'm with you guys-I am echoing your comments in my head. It is a combination of extra physical motion to shift this thing, and mental concentration. Yes, on full-throttle shifts, I can feel sometimes like I'm drop kicking this thing.

Maybe it is the nature of the powerband. You have to throttle it after shifting to get it back up to speed.

Thirty more lbs of torque and a change of ratios would eliminate this.

Or a supercharger, and the skipping of 1st and 3rd gears. Ha!

Rorr's post reminded me of something-if any upshifts grind or are awkward, have the shifter checked out for adjustment. If it does operate smoothly from 1 to 2, 3-4, it is just this particular tranny.

Yep SNOW-the worst 4-letter word I know. Lived here for a long time, and still hate it. If anyone cares, adding Blizzeks 15", slightly off-size, to this car, felt like I added 4-wheel drive. Literally amazing grip right through snow and ice. The soft material is GONE up front though. But I'll have some ice-sticking power next year after putting the rear tires up front. These tires reduced my stress 5 bazillion percent (no exaggeration) this winter.
    Zinger - One problem I've had along these lines with these newer cars in general-the mushy gas pedals. It's not that I don't know how much gas to give. But, if I wear a certain shoe, my driving is stellar, as I can feel the gas pedal. If I wear a dress shoe with a rock-hard sole, I have no idea what the pedal position is. If the radio is blaring, I can't hear the engine. Mental-note: Must use tach. A better pedal feel would make driving better all around though.

One might practice in neutral, revving it to 2500, release, again, release, until a moderate gas pedal position becomes second nature.
    as drive-by-wire becomes more pervasive in the years to come, this problem will only get worse. :-(

Dumb engineers. How hard would it be to simulate a mechanical throttle feel? Some springs, padding material, blah, blah.

BTW, my background is engineering, so it's a little self-deprecating. But it is also pointing out myopic thinking when I see it.
  • sandydebsandydeb Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2003 gts 6sp and it is a blast.. i LOVE this car.. revving the engine to the redline even while getting away from traffic stops and the go-kart like steering are simply awesome and highly addictive :) the best streches i like are the 25mph exits from the freeway.. i can rapidly approach and tailgate the guy in front (definitely sccaring him) and then downshift and zip ahead the moment we are out of the exit... another favorite routine of mine is on the 2 lane exit that we have on my way to work.. i typically have these suvs and trucks zipping by me on the straights at 85mph+ (i try not to overspeed too much).. but the moment they hit the exit they have to slow down and i LOVE to weave in and out past them at speeds at which they would go tumbling out of the road :D

I have this minor issue tho.. i do not even know whether this is a problem or not.. if i shift up to the 5th or 6th gear and leave the engine at low rpm (~2.5 k) and then step on the gas, there is this slight rattling kind of sound from the engine.. the pickup is smooth and all but there is this additional rattle.. the same also happen if i use compression braking at low revs (that is accelerate and then leave the gas alone but not step on the clutch).. does this happen with other people too or do i need to get this checkd.. my car has only 16k miles on it...

the only major gripe i have with this car is the touchy clutch.. i have had no probs with the shifter.. i have driven worse manual for 8 years now and this one feels perfect.. however, the clutch engagement is very sudden.. i typically have some trouble getting away smoothly from a stop lights.. too little gas and the car stalls.. too much and there is tirespin.. tho that is fun sometimes, i do not like to do tht everyday as it will grate my tires in no time.. any mods that i can make?? Thanks!
    in my '02 GT I used to break the front tires loose all the time starting away from stoplights. It must be worse in a GTS, with the shorter clutch.

It sounds like maybe the "rattling sound" you are hearing from the engine when trying to accelerate at low speeds in high gears is pinging, which is a natural result of lugging the engine a bit. I bet you will find this never happens again if you just go a gear or two lower. And you will also find this doesn't happen in low gears like second, even if you step on the gas in the same hearty fashion at the same rpm.

HOWEVER, that does not explain the "rattling" when you are coasting in gear. Maybe it is just a harmonic frequency buzz of something in the cabin at certain engine speeds?

• sandydebsandydeb Member Posts: 19
    Thanks 'nippononly'. I guess it must be the pinging thing (never heard of this before, so will do some research on the net!) coz the sound does go away when I downshift.
    Don't forget this is an engine designed to rev and rev, and does not have a lot of power at low speeds. So in high gears like 4, 5, 6, stomping the gas at 2000-2500 rpm could easily be expected to cause this problem.