Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Celica (Hatchbacks / All Years)

Comments

• griffinggriffing Member Posts: 21
    I'm thinking it's probably between 7.5-8.2 seconds, depending if you use the sportshifter. If you just plain floor the throttle, it will automatically shift at around 7500rpm. You have to use the auto-shifter to get the maximum power with the automatic. If you go to the website www.newcelica.org, they show listings of peoples' records. From what I see, the 6 speed is about 0.7 - 1.5 seconds faster than the auto, depending if the auto has any mods.
  • boomn29boomn29 Member Posts: 189
    Is anyone using synthetic motor oil in their Celica?? I just had my first change on my 2001 GTS, and they asked if I wanted synthetic. I said no. Hadn't really thought about it, and don't want to jump the gun.
    I've heard it helps the engine to warm up and start in cold weather, and it's better for hard racing?? What is the story?
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    My opinion on the most important issues:

1) Weather below 35 degrees or so, synthetic flows better. I've demonstrated this by paying close attention to the rpm and vibration on startup of my previous Integra with dino, then with synthetic oil.

2) As rpms increase, friction increases exponentially. On a high revving engine, I think dino oil will break down before synthetic

There are other factors. I would consider length of ownership. A 4 year lease might constitute using regular oil. Even on my leases, I have changed the oil at 6,000 miles with synthetic. I thought the less frequent changes were still satisfactory to keep the engine clean with the better oil.

Agree with your points! Haven't had mine changed yet, but plan on synthetic. I'll probably stick in 4 Bosch platinum plugs. Can't believe I didn't do that yet.
  • marktestmarktest Member Posts: 43
    Guitarzan - did you notice the warning that says "Use Iridium Tip Spark Plugs Only - Do Not GAP"? I don't know what the hell an Iridium tip plug is, but I have always found the NGK plugs in my Toyotas to be better than any other aftermarket plug.

It will be interesting to find out how expensive an Iridium tip plug is.
    I have a GTS auto and the 0-60 time is about 10 sec. I have had the car checked by the dealer and asked the mechanic - they indicate that the car is performing within spec and is the same as others they have driven. That time is dead stop, floor the throttle, -shift at 8200 rpm, no air-conditioned.

I have always been disappointed in the performance and don't particularly see the point of Toyota paying all the development expense of a different 1.8 liter for such poor performance.

Top speed, unknown - I have been up to 120 mph.
    I would like to know your speed to 60 mph.
    No I didn't notice! Sounds like they want us to use their proprietary plug. Bummer. Bosch plugs gave me an instant 1-2 mpg increase in both the Integra and the CL.

Marktest, I wish I could time myself. At my cousin's grad party a month ago, I took him and 2 other friends out...I swear I got to 60 in about 7 senconds. I could not believe how this car hauled even with the load. The Integra used to feel like a SLUG with even 1 adult passenger...
  • sergeissergeis Member Posts: 134
    I have said it before - my GT auto does it in ~8.5 seconds. Yor GTS is obviously out of alignment, it should do ~8 secs (10 secs is something you get from 100hp engine). Since it is still 4-speed and power at <6000 rpm is pretty much the same for GT and GTS the difference is not so big for extra $4K. Going manual with 6 spd would get most of the torque out of the engine. I wish they would make auto with 5 and 6 speeds, it would do perhaps faster than an average stick driver can do.
    Toyota has played it safely - specs always have some average value and then, in fine print, the range which includes numbers so low that there is no way to get them unless something is absolutely wrong. Like interstate mpg - I believe they give the lowest limit 29 for GT interstate, though I now get almost 40.
    If you get 120 mph it seems that you get the power out of the engine. It is supposed to go ~130 mph max, and it should take ~30-35 secs to get to 120. Time 0-40, it should be ~4secs and it should be still in the 1st gear, may be you loose at low end only, or maybe switching gears is slow...
  • wscc1wscc1 Member Posts: 21
    I notice that you have been claiming a noisy sunroof problem with your GTS. I thought I had a similar problem (since the squeak got noticeably louder with the roof open). I tried everything,
    including "greasing" the gasket. No change, if any thing the squeak got worse. Then, while washing the car, I discovered
    the rear spoiler was rocking on its pylon mounts. After removing the inner trim panel I discovered that the nuts on both front pylon studs had fallen completely off. I put them back on (using lock tight) and the car, at 24K miles, is as quite as new. (I never wanted the spoiler but was forced to get it.)

Also, I am using synthetic oil (Amsoil) and it seems to work just fine. I switched from Valvoline 10-30 to the Amsoil 10-30 more for extending change intervals (use to do changes about 2 to 2.5K
    now 6 to 7K, so cost is about the same) and getting the superior performance of the synthetic.
  • jrieder_2000jrieder_2000 Member Posts: 19
    I'm not sure about my 0-60 time. I haven't really timed it...yet. Yes, the performance isn't the greatest compared to other muscle cars, but I do really love the car because it rides great.

As far as top speed, I have only gone up to about 90, but I'm sure sometime in the near future I'll push it further.

What color is your car?

Also, if you have a sunroof, what do you use to clean it?

I'm getting about 28-29mpg...driving a mix of highway and local.
    Anybody every had an experience with Meguiars Poly sealant or Carbuna Wax?
    Yea, I've had a can of Meguiars Carnauba (spelling?) Wax for YEARS. This stuff never dries out. It spreads so thin, it also goes a long long way. I don't feel it lasts a long time though. A couple months, and it is cooked off the car.

I'd like to go the Zaino system someday. Don't know if I can get rid of enough of my laziness in order to treat my car that well, but I'd really like to.
  • alex18talex18t Member Posts: 117
    my 5spd has a squeak when i shift into any gear. i dont mean like a belt or pedal. i mean there is a squeak just by putting the shifter in any gear. i hear it both when im at a stop and when i drive with the window open and shift. it sounds like a metal on metal squeak from the transmission what can it be? im scheduling a service this week at a toyota dealership. also... my suspension has gotten a little squeaky and occasionally will thunk very loudly on what seems like very small breaks in the pavement. sounds like the squeak is coming from a bushing on the right side and the thunk is coming from the strut tower but im not sure. will the dealership do a check on the suspension for me just based on my suspitions? toyota dealerships are so busy it seems they only want to do work on cars that are very obviously in need of repair.

what do you think? thanks...

P.S. when your friend pulls up in his brand new M3 do you ask what kind of mileage it gets? sorry, i had to poke a little fun =)
  • oneibtoneibt Member Posts: 12
    I am currently using Mobil 1 in my 01 GT. I first started using it in a Sunbird I had 10 years ago. At about 210,000 miles the Sunny blew a timing belt and chipped a valve. I did a top end job on it and when I got the head off I was pleasantly surprised. The liners didn't have even a shadow of a ridge. When I sold the car at 220,000 miles, it still ran great and didn't burn a drop of oil. Since then I won't use anything else.
    Two reasons to buy Toyota over BMW: 1) mileage 2) reliability.

I can take a joke :) But your Bimmer owner dreams of eliminating his 6 month $$$ visits to the dealer.
  • sleazyridersleazyrider Member Posts: 9
    we use it on our newest car and it provides spectactular results!!

C'mon, with a compact car like the celica, it can't be that much work!! :):)

Agree with you about toyota reliability over bmw...

take care,

:dave and krystyna
    I think that BMW's are very nice cars, but why do people constantly try to compare bimmers with celicas? They are in two totally different price ranges. Anyone who drives a celica (gt or gts) knows that for the money, a celica is a really good buy. If someone wants to spend $5,000-$15,000 more to get a BMW, more power to them. I hope to own a new BMW some day, but when I do, I certainly won't be comparing a luxurious refined car with a sporty toyota.
    Sleazyrider, you obviously don't know, I'm a lazy, LAZY man. But you have a point. I remember trying to keep a coat of wax or 2 on my Delta 88. The thing has the square footage of a small house! Everything since then has been pretty easy. But you know, I just used a clay bar on the GTS. Had tons of tar on it, and that took a long time to rub out. So that's fresh in my mind, and I don't wanna think of more work!
  • jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    auto GT-S is probably about as fast as a manual GT, it is ironic that the cheapest celica is faster then the most expensive celica.
    What's more ironic is that I have raced a gt 5 speed with my auto gts and the gts is a lot faster. The gt 5 speed is only fast compared to the gts at very low speeds, since it has more torque at lower rpm's. I was many car lengths ahead by 65 mph.
    I don't understand how that is ironic. 180 hp should be faster than 140 hp in the same car no matter what the transmission is. A 5-speed will not make up for a lack of 40 horses.
  • lelandclelandc Member Posts: 26
    Was wondering if some folks were willing to share how much a GT with 5spd is going for? Are you happy with the performance from this set-up?

Leland
    Actually, I was poking fun at the previous comment saying that the gt was faster than the gts. The gt is fast, but not faster.
    It's kind of funny when people talk about speed, comparing one car to another. When I look at a watch one second does not seem like that much time. Especially, to pay alot of $$$ for. Even though I have a gts, I bought it for a number of reasons, not just b/c of the faster time.

Even though I payed a couple extra for my car it will always be worth more and I'll get it back when I sell it.
    I agree with you jrieder, BUT at the same time, it is nice to get the premium model, and actually have a good performance edge over the other models. Toyota and Honda tend to blur model functionality together, and its enough to irk me bad sometimes, ya know what I mean?
    I just remembered...it didn't bother me when I (got a deal, and) paid 12,700 for a '93 Integra, and got the same performance, maybe better due to weight, than someone who would buy a loaded model for $18000 (ballpark, I don't remember the LS prices.) Sometimes it works in your favor, sometimes against!

Regarding 40hp difference: It really is all about how quickly the engine reaches its peak horsepower, not the HP itself. And it certainly is cool that these modern slushboxes transfer the power so efficiently.
  • coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    check the used car book value web sites, NADA.com, blueboook.com, and you be pleasantly pissed off that your GT-S is not priced anywhere near 4K more than GT. Get's even worse as they age.

My bud's 98 grand prix GTP was a measly $450 markup over the standard grand prix when he traded 6 months ago. It's was 8K more new. go figure.
    Bluebook and all that the numbers are guides. If a car is in good condition it will sell and possibly higher than the blue book. As I recently found out when I sold my 92 celica for more than the book price. I didn't pay 4k for the gts model. I know I will get the money back when I sell it.
    Both are good points. One: accessories rarely bring their value back at sale time. That is why when leasing, the accessories are completely residualized (paid for) over the lease. They don't have value after 4-5 years. I think this is especially true with non-functional pieces, like the spoiler.

Also, Jrieder has a good point: The GTS is a pretty exclusive car, and probably over a period up to 10 years, it'll still command the book's retail price, not wholesale. Besides, you keep any Toyota in great shape (don't know what your personal habits are guys!) and you can sell it well above wholesale. These cars sell themselves used, due to their reputation.
    uhh, numerous tests proved that the manual GT is about as fast as an auto GT-S. If you guys don't belive me, go to www.newcelica.org. A lot of the celica owners can tell you the same thing I am telling you.
    If you think about it, celica has a high peak engine, and auto GT-S has "4" gears. Everytime the car shifts, you are dropping out of the powerband on the 2nd cam. Not to mention the automatic robs a whole bunch of power just because it is an automatic. It is true that the manual GT will gain at first and the auto gts will probably catch up around 40 mph or so.. but that is still a close number from 0-60mph. Besides, 0-60 is not everything. Cornering, braking is also very important.
    "Numerous tests" Where are they located? I could only find discussions with nothing but speculation. Of course, I have trouble navigating those mazes too!

You don't drop out of the powerband when racing. You shift at redline, either manually, or hopefully pedal to the floor in the GTS auto results in redline shifts, but I wouldn't know.

The GTS has variable lift, lower profile wheels, a larger bore and shorter stroke, 40 more horses...the answers are too complicated to guess, we need a race!
  • antharrisantharris Member Posts: 1
    I bought the Celica GT-S a week before my 50th birthday which is now a year ago.
    I was going to buy a station wagon but my wife said go buy something you can have some fun in - and besides it's cheaper than a girlfriend!
    I like the feel and the looks of the car, and I wanted the "legendary" reliability of a Toyota.
    Well, it seems all of that legendary stuff has gone to Toyota's heads and they have become arrogant and unresponsive; it will be their downfall.
    The car is kind of cheap inside; I've had the moonroof sliders replaced a couple of times only because one of the panels seems to get dirty on it's front edge.
    But my serious gripe - and this has to do as much with safety as with expectations - is the fact that until the temp. gauge moves to first notch there is a noticeable hesitation. It feels like it's about to stall. It can really be unnerving pulling out from an intersection.
    Toyota says that "this is within normal parameters"
    You can imagine what I say!
    I've never had a vehicle that didn't respond when cold - the computer's supposed to take care of these things - right????
    I would think a change in the computer codes would fix the problem; but what does Toyota say about it?
    They're working on it.
    I hope they find the problem soon - I now have 2 of the 3 years warranty left!
    Anyone else having similar problems?
  • garrick70garrick70 Member Posts: 5
    I have not had any hesitation problems in my GT-S when the engine is cold; However, you are not the first person I have heard mention it.
    You can almost tell which model of celica a person drives just by their posted messages. All the GT owners think that their cars are nice and the GT'S is noth much better. All the GT'S owners are constantly trying to prove why their car is better. I think it's funny because I know someone who bought a 40 year old mustang for the same price as a new celica. In my mind, that would be a complete waste for me, but for the person who bought it, it is their dream car. To tell you the truth, the reason why I bought a GT'S was because I wanted leather, and you can't get that on a GT (I bought mine used, and you can't find a used GT with leather, or a new GT for that matter).

Everyone has their own preferance. I myself know that there are at least 10 different reasons why the gts is better than the gt, regardless of if it is auto or manual. But rather than look down on someone next to me in a GT, I give a thumbs up, because any new celica is a nice celica!!!!
  • hbarkhbark Member Posts: 26
    who says that any Celica is a nice one.

I had to order my 2001 GT from the factory, all because I didn't want a spoiler! And they also don't come through with ABS, at least around here. So I ordered it just like I wanted it, waited 4 months (!), but it was worth it now.

As they say, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla....
    I believe there is some sort of limiter at about 7000 rpm's whenever the engine is cold. Is this what you are referring to? It's almost like the engine shuts off. I've hit it a couple times pulling out on the highway for work in the morning.
    As for any other signs of a hesitation, I haven't experienced any. Just the normal higher revs of a cold engine as with any vehicle.
    Today went to dealer. Was getting brake pulsation. Looks like they cut all 4 rotors. Don't know 'cause they were backed up so bad they offered to mail the paperwork, fine. Kind of a bummer when they only have 3000 miles. But if it happens again, I'll ask them to put 4 new rotors on.

Also ordered new shocks for hatch. Below 30 degrees F it falls on my head as I put my guitar in back. It is warm now, but they said the shocks feel weak, so they'll put new ones on.
    40 year old mustang? a GT500? now that is a dream car.
    " The GTS has variable lift, lower profile wheels, a larger bore and shorter stroke, 40 more horses...the answers are too complicated to guess, we need a race! "

So you are telling me that a 200hp truck will out run a celica GT-S? I think not. Weight to power ratio, gear ratios, and automatic/manual plays an important part on the overall car performance. Hp is one part of the formula, not everything.
    Auto GT-S has "FOUR" gears, close gear ratio is VERY important on high rev cars like acura Rsx, Integra and s2000.. especially Celica. Think about it, you are engaging the 2nd cam very close to the redline. The only way to STAY within the redline is to have close gear ratios, since auto GT-S only have "FOUR" gears, everytime you shift you drop out of the power band. The gears on the auto GT-s are too long to extract the best performance out of that engine. Btw, you do know that manual GT-S have 6 gears right.. there are 6 gears for a reason.
    Torque converter on a auto transmission doesn't help either. Like I said before, go to newcelica.org and people will tell you the same thing. GT-S or GT owners alike.
    By the way, I don't own a celica. I was going to buy a 6spd manual but toyota decided to stop production on the 6spd for this year. I was going to buy a auto celica but found out that it can be slower then the GT manual. I can race you in my wrx if you want... hehe.
    I don't need a race to know the GT 5-speed is quicker than my GTS-auto (about .8 sec). I drove a GT 5-speed and own the GTS-auto. I'm sure the GTS is faster, but the GT got to 60 mph more quickly. It all becomes a mute point when you consider that these are not sports cars, rather sporty economy cars. I base that on a personal opinion that a sports car doesn't take more than 9 sec to get to 60. The 6-speed GTS is marginal assuming auto mag tests of 7.0 - 7.5 sec to 60 mph are accurate.

If I had it to do over, I'd have gone to the GT, but I'm happy with the car - just wish I didn't have to pay for premium gas for mediocre performance. As a comparison - my wife's 4-cyl Solara is as quick as my Celica GTS. Solara's a nice car, but no sports car.
    JK111, my point was merely the same as yours, that there are too many differences to know which is faster, GTS auto or GT manual. That's the point I was making in listing those differences.

Yes, I know the GTS has 6-gears as that is the car that I have. I also think that the gearbox is more to offer a unique package, rather than performance. Yes, it can be helpful in an all-out drag race. However, ALL THE TIME, like cruising through the park at 35-45, I find there is no perfect gear to be in. The lower gear will drag too much, and the higher gear won't have enough torque. And I believe Acura is copying Toyota for the uniqueness factor only. I used to push my Integra 5-speed to the limit all the time. Comparing the 2, I say with the proper footwork, there would be very little difference in performance from 5 to 6 gears. And like I said, road course driveability suffers with the 6.

That being said, I still love the 6-speed. I appreciate the uniqueness factor in drive-feel. Every new thing I drive teaches me new things. This is like buying a new computer, or router. I get to play a lot with it, and figure out new things.

"I'm sure the GTS is faster, but the GT got to 60 mph more quickly"=====What do you mean by this marktest?

You make a good point about sports economy cars.
    I agreee, the 6 speed gearbox has a lot to do with a marketing ploy. But as far as not being able to select the right gear to go down the street in??? I don't understand that. Owning one myself, I don't get what you're saying. Pick a gear and drive.
    The extra gear makes downshifting power increase (more options) and helps out with gas mileage I think. Of course, the 91+ octane does get old!
    "However, ALL THE TIME, like cruising through the park at 35-45, I find there is no perfect gear to be in. The lower gear will drag too much, and the higher gear won't have enough torque"

I actually experience the same thing in my wrx. The 3rd gear is very short, and the 4th is way too long (up to 120mph.) If I want more power, I will have to stay in the short 3rd and waste more gas.. I think every car is like that, around 40mph is the moot point for fuel economy. You want more power because the speed limit is usually 50, but you don't want to shift because 4th is way too long and doesn't hqve any power..
    the only thing i would change about my 5sp GT is that it has no ABS and no overdrive gear for the highway, those are realy the only differences a driving enthusiast should gripe about. other than that i think it is a great fun fast car and im very happy i chose it.

anyway... I need help. Does anyone know how i could get my hands on a shop manual for the 2k Celica? much appreciated.
    ALEX18T: Check your owners manual. The shop manual can be ordered through Toyota (and
    only Toyota).
    Guitarzan - by my training, faster would relate to speed and quicker would relate to acceleration. What I meant by the GTS auto is faster but the GT manual is quicker to 60 mph - the GTS has a higher top speed but the GT accelerates to 60 mph in less time.

Obviously there is some point the GTS auto will overtake the GT manual, but that isn't within the first 60 mph (by my experience).
    OK, and I agree with that.

Top end is kind of moot to me. However, I DO wish I had the opportunity to do periodic high speed driving.
    I know the GTS 6 speed gets to 60 in 7.2 seconds. I here that the GT 5 speed is 1.5 seconds slower than the GTS 6 speed, which would mean it would reach 60 in 8.7 seconds. Ive also heard that the Auto GTS is 0.8 seconds slower than the GT 5 speed, which would mean it would take it 9.2 to 9.5 seconds to get to 60?!?!?! And if the GT auto is 0.5 to 1 second slower than the GTS Auto, that would mean it would get to 60 in over 10 seconds?
    6 spd GTS------------------ 7.2 seconds (0-60)
    5 spd GT--------------------- 8.7 seconds (0-60)
    4 spd auto GTS-----------9.5 seconds (0-60)
    4 spd GT-------------------(10-10.5 seconds) (0-60)
    These are all speeds that I have gotten from everyones' posts. They certainly don't match up.
    I have a 4 spd GTS, and it reaches 60 faster than 9.5 seconds. It seems that no one here really knows the speeds of these cars, and everyone is merely guessing. I have test driven all 4, and not one is slower than 9 seconds, even the GT Auto. The only speed we know for certain is that the GTS 6 speed reaches 60 in 7.2 seconds. Gutiarzan seems pretty confident that his GT Auto gets to 60 in 8.5 seconds, nut judging by all the posts, it seems we all beg to differ.

From what I have experienced---- The GTS 6 speed really DOES get to 60 in just over 7 seconds. The GT 5 speed and the GTS Auto are about the same (I have beaten a GT 5 speed in my GTS AUTO). The GT Auto is about a second slower than the GTS Auto. No need to argue with what I am saying, cause it may not be true. But I know that out of all the celicas, none are over 9 seconds, which pretty much beats almost all of the older generation celicas anyways.
  • garrick70garrick70 Member Posts: 5
    I've noticed many people quote the 7.2 0-60 time for the 6 speed GT-S posted by Car and Driver. Lets not forget that that was a prototype and the engine was brand new. Since then Motortrend was able to reach a 0-60 time of 6.6 and Road and Track published a 0-60 time of 6.8. However, these times are achieved by revving the engine up and dropping the clutch. I do not think that anyone should use personal experience racing from a stop light as gospel. There are too many variables in that situation, and a lot of it depends on the driver.
    I think that mabye the GTS could reach it a little quicker than 7.2, but I doubt anything under 7 unless you ruin the car. Even the automatics can reach it much quciker if they apply torque breaking, which again, would ruin their car (the brakes at least).