Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• jelhz43njelhz43n Member Posts: 44
    My sienna 2001 was showing the same symptoms. I found the solution in Sequoia forum where Wwest has suggested to just top off your brake fluid.
    In my case the brake fluid was below minimum. I filled it up and there is no more parking brake light, Traction off and VSC off lights !
    Check your brake fluid.
    John
  • 2001montana2001montana Member Posts: 1
    I am not too critical with secondary functions on any any car but engine & transmission are integral. My 2001 Montana's automatic transmission started failing at 30,000KM(18,641 miles) It was driving sluggishly in the lower gears and made whirling sounds when idling. The whirling sound was more prevalent when the van was idling on an incline. Dealer found substantial filings when transmission case was opened up. They said "they do about 15 tranys a week and it will get fixed right". I was fortunate to have extended warranty. Reading on the Internet about my problem I found my situation is not isolated. The Montana has been the only domestic car I have bought in the last 20 years. I will be trading it away after the repair and look forward to buying a maintenance free Japanese vehicle again.
  • cobrantycobranty Member Posts: 1
    i dont have an answer for you. i was seeing if you found the problem. i have a 1999 pontaic montana and it has abs light tcs light on too and my low traction light comes on a lot also sometimes when i step on the brake it is hard as a rock 1 minute and fine the next. any help would be appreciated.
  • vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    "look forward to buying a maintenance free Japanese vehicle again".

I hate to kick you when you are down but there is no such thing.

As for your transmission, GM makes about the best in the biz. Did your transmission get replaced or was it just fixed? Filings in the case are normal, but they are unusual in high numbers on lower mileage.
  • atrentatrent Member Posts: 4
    I had this problem and apparently it is fairly common. In my case the problem was in the connector for the right rear tail light assembly. The connector was cooked. The cause was the ground wire connection which is common to a lot of circuits and it was getting hot resulting in the connector body actually melting.
    my check engine light is on and I get a code 171 "lean left bank". I have been told this is caused by the O2 sensor. If that is so why don't I aso get a code for the sensor?
  • montana1montana1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm south of you in U.S. and yes my washer solvent freezes ,even the so called winter mix (orange kind) so I put in either rubbing alcohol or prestone additive and it hasn't been that cold this year. Ran fine in the snow heater doesn't put out to well, I flushed my system in fall and van doesn't run very warm anymore not even on hot days.Pot holes ripping apart my front end of course it's just a bonniville suspension in a van so I guess it's to be expected
    I had this problem and it turned out to be a connector in the right tail light. There is a ground common on one of the pins that is common to a lot of circuits and it was cooked. Replaced the connector and no more problem
    alex
  • tuesnitevballtuesnitevball Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2003 Montana that was purchased new a year ago,it's got 14,000 miles on it. Recently there's been a whistling noise coming from it sounds like the windshield supports. It sounds like wind noise. Anybody else heard this in their van?? Any help would be appreciated.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    This morning while driving - hit a bump in road and the ABS light on dash comes on - it is not
    flashing but steadily on ... brakes are working fine. Except for light - no noticable symptoms.

Any ideas what might be the cause ?

Thanks in advance!
  • thomasbthomasb Member Posts: 2
    Wish me luck! Here in Canada and heading to the dealer tomorrow morning, just noticed oil in the dex cool on my 2001 Montana on Friday, only have 66,000 Kms. Looks like I've gotten bitten by the famous "plastic intake manifold gasket". Hope the info I have read on the web about GM Canada covering almost all the charges for the repair here in Canada are true !
  • ehve8rehve8r Member Posts: 1
    I will be interested in how you make out with GM. last week my montana overheated and I took it to Can Tire. $1200.00 later, here I am searching for info about this problem. until I foind this forum, I did not know the 3.4 engine had this history. up to now the van has been trouble free except the seat heaters have been replaced twice.
    thanks for any info you can pass on.
  • thomasbthomasb Member Posts: 2
    How this, replying to my own message.

Got the intake gasket fixed yesterday, at first my local pontiac dealer told me, "your not the original owner, GM won't touch the repair". Had an aftermarket warranty from a company called Lubrico the other seller gave me with the van, they covered the full cost, thank god almost $800 CAN, just had to pay $100 deduct and oil change.

Get this though, the other night I had called GM Canada and told them what I thought the problem was, he took my name and number and said bring it in and get a diagnosis. He called me back yesterday an hour after bringing the van home and said GM said they would cover the repair, told him thanks for the call, already done, had the aftermarket warranty, thanked him for the courteous reply and the return call.

I guess the deal, at least her in Canada, call GM, don't believe the local dealer and what they say. GM Canada was going to cover it for me.

Thomas
    What year is your Montana?

2004, 2005 and I believe 2003's have 5 year power train warranty's in Canada. That said, it's mostly the earlier models that have the problems.

Great news though.
  • 2point542point54 Member Posts: 4
    Had this problem last year on our 99 Montana ext ... both your symptoms and others listed in these messages. Other symptoms included the sound of the ABS system activating when backing up and turning sharply (like leaving a parking spot).

A tire dealer said the wire leading to the wheel speed sensor was damaged, but an attempt to repair it didn't solve the problem. It turned out that the wheel speed sensor in one of the front hubs was faulty.

Not a cheap repair, unfortunately, as the moving part of the hub assembly must be replaced. But it worked and it was a good investment to get the ABS system back.
  • goldacgoldac Member Posts: 1
    I love this forum for all the information from those helpful and enthusiastic folks.

My Montana 2001 of 55000km was found leading coolant and oil traces appearing in the coolant reservoir.

The dealership agreed to cover the cost of replacing the intake manifold gasket (they believe it worth CAD1400), while telling me that 2 of the cylinder heads need to be replaced for CAD400.

They believe that the cylinder head replacement is not a consequential damage of the coolant leak. ANY IDEAS?

Many thanks
  • mygrayvanmygrayvan Member Posts: 4
    Hi I am going thru the same kind of thing. On Dec.15, I brought my Montana in because the "check engine soon" light came on and the temp gauge was going from past 210 to 100 and back up. In addition I told him I was loosing antifreeze and I could smell it and taste it as I parked the van. The GM Authorized Dealer told me is was due to the intake manifold gaskets leaking and a clogged injector. After spending 1180. and getting the van back,i drove it home less than 2 miles and found antifreeze leaking out and it had the same problems that I took it in for. I took it back the next day(because they were closed at this time)and he said it looks like the water pump went now. After another $80 for a water pump,I still cud taste and smell antifreeze. I went back and told them this and they said it was because the water pump went and splashed antifreeze over the engine. I wasn't happy with that answer but that was it from them. Now it happened again and 1st Goodyear told me and now the same dealer is telling me that the Head Gasket is gone and even that I have been complaining about it all along and involved GM in it from December the Dealer is saying it has nothing to do with the work they did and said it will cost 2200. then more to see why the light is on. I spoke with GM and they are going to call me on Monday because the Manager at the dealer is n/a until Monday. So as for one not being related to the other,I feel it was always there and they failed to diagnose it correctly. I never got rid of the smell and did have to add coolant to the overflow after the time it was "fixed". Any thoughts?
  • bige21bige21 Member Posts: 1
    I have a '98 Trans Sport with 124k miles. With my check engine light on, my temp gauge pegged out, then dropped back. It did this in a cycle just this past Saturday. I took it in today - and recevied the bad news that it was the head gasket.....$1450-1600 range. The tests they ran (multiple to confirm) indicated that the coolant and oil were mixing indicating an internal leak - nothing external. Ugh! I'm sure the van isn't worth more that $2000 to anyone but me - but It's got to be fixed. This was all done at a dealership, one I respect and have worked on my van for a couple of years now. Prior to this news I have had no engine problems with the van.
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    I recently purchased an 03 Montana that started it's life out in Quebec. I've heard various mentions of an extended powertrain warranty on this board. Does anyone know when GM started doing this?? Was it free? Did it carry over to used buyers? What are the terms?

thanks
    The 2004/2005 Canadian models definitely had a 5 year powertrain warranty. I'm not sure about the 2003 but there should be a warranty card with your owner's manual. If not, call GM Canada. Numbers are on their site.
  • terrryterrry Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Montana. The other day when backing up the ABS and TCS lights came on when the left turn signal was on. When I signal to turn left the signal flasher flashes quicker than it should, but only when brake is applied. When checking by pushing hazard button the flashing goes back to normal which is what I have been told means that the signal switch is bad. I have been told that this part is $400.00!!!! Vehicle runs fine and lights are not on all the time. When they do come on they are not on the next time vehicle is stopped, then started.
    Has anyone else ever had this problem? Will it eventually affect normal operation of the vehicle? Thanks :confuse: :mad:
    Sounds high. I would get another opinion. May be able to get a used one from a wrecker also.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    You might also want to post your question in the Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy discussion. Someone there may have had the same problem you're experiencing.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• terrryterrry Member Posts: 3
    Thanks to those who responded. Just thought I'd let you know I got my problem taken care of and it cost me $4.00 and not $400!!!! The left hand turn signal on the front of the van - the bulb and the connecter were loose, so I replaced the bulb and that fixed it. :):D;) :surprise: :shades:
  • harriharri Member Posts: 1
    i had same problem on 2000 grand am...it was bearing gone on front pass. side. I could also hear a distant humming sound. Gets louder as it gets worse. There are sensors on these bearings. They can be expensive. Both of mine were replaced for 400.00.
    Good news. I remember I went into one shop with my old Cavalier a number of years ago and they quoted me $800 to fix my brakes and I went to another and they said all I needed was new front pads.

Typical rip off attempt.
  • wheelchairguywheelchairguy Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon.
    I saw your post on TRACTION SYSTEM light.
    I'm having this problem also on a 2000
    Montana. ONLY 45,000 MILES ON THIS CAR.

I'm quadriplegic in wheelchair from multiple sclerosis. I just want to make sure.
    The car won't give me any problems on a small vacation.
    Please write back.
    Daniel
  • montana2000montana2000 Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem, my ABS dashboard light goes on from time to time it stays on for a while then disapears, i made an appointment with my garage today to see what was the problem but it went off before I even got there, they told me to bring my car to the garage anytime it goes on again, so that they can immediately plug in the diagnostic tool to get the exact error message to fix this problem, the ABS warning light must be on when they plugin the diagnostic tool...I will keep you posted, keep me posted if you get any news on your end.

Thanks...
  • kmenkekmenke Member Posts: 2
    :lemon: The air conditioning is not working. Took it to a certified mechanic and he says I need the compressor replaced new rubber washer seal kit. He says I got a really bad freon leak. Says Pontiacs are known for this? Anyone else experience this? He says around $1,000 for the fix! :cry: Holy cow! I mean I am frustrated because we only have 56,224 miles on the van and only used the air conditioning 4 years in the summer. But of course the warranty has expired! I have Geo Prism with 280,000 miles that the A/C is still ice cold. Really not liking GM built vehicles right now.
  • doyuhvanhonestdoyuhvanhonest Member Posts: 1
    Our a/c went out last year and I suffered without it.
    Yestery I got a can of refrigerent at walmart and found a big leak at right lower front on the battery side. It left a big puddle of greasy greenish oil on the drive.

Too hard to see exactly what I might be able to repair myself, but looks like a simple thing - I bet the dealer would say it is the whole compressor or some other scamming lie.

Try running a can of stuff in yours to see where the leak is.
    I wonder if it is in the same place.
  • kmenkekmenke Member Posts: 2
    The mechanic said that the leaking was at the compressor level. So I ordered a new compressor and going to swap myself. My uncle is a auto mechanic so I can borrow the tools needs to recharge the system. i will let you know how it goes. Thanks for th reply
  • cartoccartoc Member Posts: 2
    The warning lights for the TCS and ABS systems would flash on and off without any sort of reason. After a while the lights stayed on. When I had the service guy check the codes he said it had 8 codes and could probably take days to find out out exactly whats wrong. If it is the computer it would be very expensive. I want to find out if I can shut the warning lights off. I know I have brakes, I just don't want the annoying warning lights on anymore. Does anybody know how to shut them off?
  • sonssons Member Posts: 1
    This a problem pretty much described in posts 855 and 860. I do have some additional information. I accidently stumbled onto when the vehicle was up on jacks. Not all the time but a couple of times when the transmission was selected to any gear, the front brakes would intermittently stop the wheels from spinning and then release.When the engine was accelerated in this condition the van would shake and the front wheels only turned very slowly. Then when what ever it was quit malfunctioning everything functioned normal. I am thinking it's something to do with the TCS system, ABS system or brakes. That leaves a lot of parts to eliminate. Is there anyone out there that has experienced this problem and could help me correct problem or narrow down my search.
  • cupmancupman Member Posts: 1
    My 2000 Montana appears to have some sort of malfunction in it's electrical system or computer. The "idiot lights" keep coming on and going off. Only one of them seem to have any effect on how it runs. That would be the "check engine" light. Is this electrical as in relays or is it computer? I am really getting fed up with the electrical problems that this Van has. Please email reply to me. Thanks.
  • dalrddalrd Member Posts: 1
    The passenger's side power window only open/closes with the driver's side switch. The passenger's switch does not open the window but will close it once open.
    Would this be a passenger's side switch problem?
    What is the process to change a power window switch
    Thanks
    dalerd
  • cartoccartoc Member Posts: 2
    I had similar problem with my 99 montana. After pursuing it with the dealer and GM canada they admitted that there is a service bulletin for the manifold gasket problem. They paid half of the $900 bill because it was passed my warranty.
    I did a lot of internet surfing about this antifreeze leaking into the engine because of the dexcool rotting the gasket. It is a serious problem that many owners are complaining about. I guess I was lucky my bill wasn't as big as some others , but I am having problems with sensors on ABS, TCS, and airbags, as well as premature wearing of brake rotors, etc...
  • evelyn14evelyn14 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I own a Montana 2000, about two to three months ago while driving in the highway it shut down by itself, we had to push it to the side, it started again five to ten minutes later. Then about a month ago it shut itself again and now it won't start, whe changed the gas pump and gas filter, checked the sparks, everything seems to be good. We are pretty sure that it's an electric problem, we took it to the dealer and the dealer did not find the problem.
    PLEASE SOMEBODY HELP ANY INFO WILL BE APPRECIATED
    THANKS
    EVELYN (from canada)
  • drifter3drifter3 Member Posts: 7
    Hi I Had a similar problem with a 94 chev lumina van.. It was the pick-up coil under the dist cap. My van would shut off and not start.wait a while an d then it would start... took it to the dealer and when the trbl was on they would hook it up to
    the computer and would start every time.. to it to a small garage and they found the pick-up coil... Hope this helps. Alvin (New Brunswick) :)
  • synkrowesynkrowe Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2002, The front Heater / AC fan output is not pumping out any air with any amount of force. I can turn the speed control up, I hear the fan speed increase but the output does not. This is the case with both (all) settings of the heater and the A/C. The odd part is also that there really is no heat either being produced in the air that is coming out. ??? I checked all of the fuses (O.K.), maybe a faulty relay?
    Thought about the heater core, but why the diminished air flow output, when I can clearly hear the fans working. Anyone else with this issue? Solutions???
    Thanks for any response. :sick:
    I have a 2001 montana and the clutch on the compessor is not engaging. Check all
    fuses for a/c and even the diode in the fuse box by the relay for a/c...thanks for any help
  • pnut1pnut1 Member Posts: 1
    I had the problem very close to this. The problem is an overheat problem in the tail lamp assembly. If you pull the connecter off you will probably see heat damage in the female plug assy and pulling out the brake bulb may be heat damage there. You can replace the "card" in the taillight assy which is really the sockets and bus assy. It was about $50.00 I recall. I changed it myself. A friend of mine has a 2000 Montana and had to do the same thing. The male terminals on the card were all aluminum on the old one but the brakelight and another one on the new one were copper(coated maybe) so this might be a fix for better conduction and less heat there. When you light are blinking real fast with the brake pushed all the lights back there are doing really weird stuff, nothing is right. Hope this helps

Pnut :)
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    synkrowe and drifter3, you might also want to get input from the folks in the Climate Control Problems: All Cars Forum. Try posting your questions there as well.

ClaireS, Host
    Coupes & Convertibles | Vans & Minivans

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• synkrowesynkrowe Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the tip.
  • mlovsemlovse Member Posts: 7
    I had this exact same problem last week. I did the same things you did, checking all the fuses and the diodes. But everything looked good, so I took it to my mechanic.

The mechanic says the clutch does not engage because the refrigerant mixed with the oil. If the clutch would engage without oil, it would destroy itself. You have no refrigerant mix in your system, so the clutch will not engage.

They did an a/c service. Removing all of the air from the system, recharging it, and adding a UV die, so they can see any leaks if the a/c stops working again. Expect to pay $130 - $150.

The a/c stopped working 5 days later. So I have a big leak somewhere and have to take it in again. BTW it's 90 degrees and very humid today.

My van is a 2001 Montana with 62,000 miles.

Keep me posted on what's wrong with yours and we'll compare notes!

-Mike
    Thanks for the info. Have yet to decide on if I will fix it or not...
  • duphamdupham Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Montana and the A/C stopped working about 2 weeks ago. I took it into a local mechanic and he recharged it and added a UV dye to check for leaks. It worked immediatley but stopped working the next day. I took it back to the mechanic yesterday and he said the dye comfirmed that I have a bad compressor and need it replaced to the tune of $510.00....Would this be covered under my warranty? I bought it from the local Pontiac in 2002 with the balance of the facotry warranty....It currently has 61,000 miles on it and everyone I talked too can't believe the compressor is shot already. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks
  • btaylorbtaylor Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Montana and the carpeting is wet on the passenger side any idea what it might be. Only happens in the summer when the A/C is running. I think it might be the condensation tube is stopped up. where might it be located. Thanks for any help you can give me
  • mlovsemlovse Member Posts: 7
    That truly sucks that your compressor is bad. I would expect it to go at 100,000 miles. My 2001 Montana (63,000 miles) got the UV dye and stopped working 5 days later. I have yet to take it in to determine the problem.

Unless you purchased an extended warranty from that local dealer, the factory GM warranty is done at 3 years or 36,000 miles.

If $510.00 includes the labor, it's actually a good price. Normally it would cost around $630.
  • bengineer1bengineer1 Member Posts: 5
    The brake lights on my 98 Trans Sport quit working. The upper light in the middle of the rear window still works, but the two associated with the 4 bulb assemblies (one on each side) don't work. The bulbs illuminate when the headlights are on, however, when the brakes are applied the lights don't change, i.e. get brighter. Is there an easy fix for this? Thanks for your help.
  • bengineer1bengineer1 Member Posts: 5
    The cruise control on my 98 Trans Sport just quit working. The van has no reaction when you turn the switch for the cruise control "on" or when you try to engage it by pressing the "set" button. The guy at the shop wants $600 to fix. Is this a rip-off or will he really need to take the steering column apart, etc? Again, I'm guessing there is no "easy fix". Thanks.