Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Audi A6 Wagons

Comments

• porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    Regarding the hands free cell phone, I would suggest that you stay away from the corporate install shops. I've seen my share of bad installs from the corporate stores. Just recently I saw a bad one on a friends Lexus and my boss' Suburban. The Audi's interior is too nice to leave to some installer who doesn't have their head in it. I'm sure there are plenty of reputable, custom install shops in Michigan that could do a high quality job. I certainly don't know of any, but I'm sure it wouldn't take more than a few questions to friends/co-workers or post a message here at Edmunds.

By the way, what color interior/exterior? Options? Sorry if I sound nosy, I'm actually just envious and jealous. Someday...
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • jscatenajscatena Member Posts: 61
    The car is light silver metallic with ebony leather. The headliner in ebony Alcantra, almost suede like. Very rich. Not many options available in the S6 cuz it's loaded but I got the navigation system and the parktronic. Where do you live?
  • peeetepeeete Member Posts: 136
    I am looking at the purchase of a 2000 A6 Avant, with 15,000 miles. Is this generally considered to be reliable, I know Audis have their share of problems. Is there anything from that model year that I should look for problem wise? thanks
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    "Is there anything from that model year that I should look for problem wise?"

You can use Edmunds' Maintenance Guide to check for TSB's (Technical Service Bulletins) and Recalls on your 2000 A6 Avant. Good luck, and please keep us posted on your purchase.

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • adamprattadampratt Member Posts: 6
    I've been wanting to buy a Volvo XC wagon for a while but then this offer came to me today from a friend who works in a bank's leasing department. I'm very interested in buying this car coming off a lease but want to get opinions and a price check from the experts here:

99 A6 Avant Quattro
    black exterior/gray leather
    24,000 miles and supposedly in great condition
    cold weather package
    convenience package
    third row seat
    Tires need replaced later this year
    few small nicks in hood and scratch on rear bumper

Price is $20,425

Thoughts?
  • porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    If it runs and looks clean.....BUY, BUY, BUY!!!

I would suggest 2 things though first:

1. Post your question in the "Real world trade in value" thread in the Smart Shopper section. Give all of the information listed above with your location and rroyce will answer your post with a very knowledgeable and timely answer.

2. Run a carfax on the car to find out about the provious owner and history on the car. I'm assuming it's a repo if you got the tip from a banking friend. If it's your friends car that's a different story, but it still may be money well spent to run a vehicle history on it.

Good luck and let us know what happens. Otherwise, give my number to your banker friend. :)
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • lextaxlextax Member Posts: 3
    I'd love feedback on this possible purchase. 1995 A6 Wagon with 72k miles for $10,000. Has CD changer, sunroof, Bose soundsystem, third row seat.

Thoughts?
  • mts6mts6 Member Posts: 1
    Re: message #187.
    The drives thru Europe that you mentioned were the reason I purchased my A6 Avant a year ago. I was extremely impressed with the performance and ride of a friends S6 Avant and couldn't get into one fast enough. The S6 Avant @ 340bhp and 0-60 in 5.7 seconds plus Quattro will definitely be worth the wait here in the US. I agree with your opinion on the lack of any really exciting power with the A6 Avant 2.8 engine they offer. Spoke with an Audi rep while in Germany last week and he said that Audi IS bringing the S6 Avant to the US this Fall (2001). This is also mentioned on the 'audiworld.com' & 's-cars.org' websites. (News archive Jan 2001 and Main page respectively. Both are great sites and have quite a bit of info.)
    Spoke with my local Audi sales manager in Texas though and he says that it is most likely going to be next fall (2002), as they have not heard anything or received any literature or training from AUDI US. So there you are...keep your fingers crossed and let's hope for next fall!
    PS For an S6 video clip check www.rs4.org under 'movies' for a Tiff Needell test drive done for Top Gear that is pretty amazing.
    Hope this helps,

Michael
  • eddieonlineeddieonline Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have experience using oversize tires on the stock wheels? I have a 99 Avant with 205/55/16 tires on it now and would like to increase to perhaps a 225/50/16, but don't know if the wheels can handle the width.
    Thanks.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    This size should work - I know that many A4 owners have done this without rubbing problems, and have raved about the better handling and good looks the wider appearance gives. This is on wheels that are 7 inches in width, which is is a good size for a 225 tire. But especially if ordering mail order or online that you do not drive on them until you're certain that there will be no fitment or rubbing problems, or you can have a local dealer test them for you. Some local tire stores, however, will not sell/mount any tire that is not the manufacturer's recommended (stock) tire size for your particular model - I ran into this last year when trying to have a local tire store mount winter tires & wheels on our A4.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    I'm looking for a wagon, too. I'd like a 528i, or an A6. The 528i I've found has 67km on it, leather, cd, moonroof, but I don't think it has sport pkg. The rear qrt panel had fender bender and BMW fixed it. The guy has had it for a month and really wants to move it. He wants 33,900 (Canadian).
    There is also a '99 A6 wagon tiptronic, 2.8. I think the km are about the same, for $25. I'm concerned with both about costs. I can get 528 CPO for 36,900. Do you think either of these wagons are worth it, or is it better to go and pay the extra for the CPO car? I'd like a wagon, but don't want to end up paying lots on repairs because they're out of warranty. Have the Audis improved so that they are a liability the minute they're out of warranty? For 38 I couldn get a new A4...I'm stuck on which way to go. For that matter for 36 I could get a loaded Subaru Legacy special edition...
    I'd value some feedback
    cdndriver
    Thanks.
  • ng5186ng5186 Member Posts: 3
    I have just purchased a 1999 Audi A6 Avant with 37K miles. Its an "Audi Assured" vehicle which gives me a 2 year warranty. I feel like I got a great deal at $19,750.00 (sunroof, cold weather package & leather)

Any owners have problems/quirks with this model I should be on the watch for? Thanks
    and congrats on your A6 Avant! Looks like you got a great deal to me. Have you had a chance to check out Edmunds' Maintenance Guide for information on your vehicle? Others here may have more to add.

Good luck, and please keep us posted on your ownership experience. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    It would be nice to see some vehicle reports here. Anyone care to share some details about their Audi A6 wagon? For those interested, you can list your:

1. Model Year & Total miles to date.
    2. MPG & Driving habits. Any differences in mpg since you first purchase?
    3. Any additional accessories & mods?
    4. Maintenance issues to date.
    5. Any interesting trips or cargo experiences?
    6. Overall impressions pro/cons of your vehicle since you first purchased....

Share as much (or as little) information as you'd like. I'm sure other A6 owners/shoppers passing through here, would find the information quite interesting, if not helpful. Who's game?

Also, you can report back every 3-5k to update again. Thanks for your participation! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • problemcarproblemcar Member Posts: 1
    Audi 2002 A6 Avant reliability is a serious question mark. In the first year of ownership and 21,000 miles here’s a list of repairs I’ve encountered.

Engine – front main oil seal leak in first month
    Transmission – torque converter hunts in and out between 25 and 35 mph making rush hour commuting interesting.
    Headlights – replaced entire left head light assembly to solve wobble and bob
    Power Steering – had to replace entire power steering pump at 6 months
    Front brake rotors – replaced at 7 months along with new front brakes
    Ignition System – replaced 1 set of coils. Audi would not replace remaining 5 until I had second failure. Two months later second set failed so Audi finally replaced remaining 5.
    Catalytic Converter – check engine light goes on – code says catalytic converter is contaminated. Audi says don’t change it until light goes on a 2nd time. Two months later light goes on, Audi agrees to replace right side converter.
    Air Conditioning System – condenses on front windshield
    Bose C/D System – has jammed twice. Had to remove fuse to reset system each time.
    Windshield wipers – replaced due to screeching noise.

Engine, transmission, power steering, brakes, ignition, exhaust, A/C – is there any system left to work on and I’ve only had the car for 1 year. Audi feels this car can still be fixed. The question is what’s left and how frequently do I have to stop back.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    Has the car been off the road enough days to invoke the lemon law in your state?
  • jodarjodar Member Posts: 53
    I just bought a '01 Avant that was loaded (Sunroof, head airbags, CD Bose, Xenon lights, leather and memory seating) and had only 22K and thanks to Edmunds, I bargained my purchase price to $25K! The sticker was $31K with a 'sale' price of $29500! So my advice to anyone buying a car, check Edmunds, find the lowest price and start from there and hang in there! I did walk away from the 'final' offer and was stopped by the Salesman on the way out. Later I discovered that the car was traded in for $25.5K! Timing is everything shoppers!

The car rides like a dream. Much better than the Chrysler 300M I used to drive. The transmission shifts are seamless and virtually unnoticeable. The manumatic or Tiptronic, whatever its called, works much better than the Chrysler Autostick.

So far, I'm averaging 20.9 mpg in mostly highway driving. It is slowly creeping up but I was hoping to get closer to the 24 or so that I thought it could get. Anyone with this model have any ideas on how to get better mpg? Anyone use the manual shift mode in the car? Does it help with the mpg?

Since the car was on the dealer lot for awhile, I was tempted to change the oil myself and use Mobil 1 synthetic oil with a Fram graphite filter. Anyone have any comments? Is it easy/hard to change the oil on this car? Yes, I know that the car has the free maintenence for the first 4 yrs/50K but they don't put synthetic oil in the car.

I just came from the dealer, who replaced the rear brakes. All of which were covered under warranty. I assume that the braking problem arose out of the fact that the car sat idly on the dealer lot from unuse.

The only item I'm not too happy with is the radio. I was used to the in-dash multi CD changer in my Chrysler. I know that current A6s have a 6-disc in-dash changer but does anyone know if you can put one in an '01 model? The dealer says you can't, which I don't believe. Or are there aftermarket alternatives to the stock Audi radio that will work with the model? I don't want the rear mounted changer since it works off an FM modulator.

and thanks for sharing the details. We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    i will follow with interest. my local dealer has an identical car that they just couldnt sell. now it has less than 3k milage, all of it test drives by potential buyers, and they are advertising $36.9 K but would let it go for less than 31, i think. they cant sell it as new anymore, which is a shame because the sticker is still on the front seat and warranty coverage is a necessary thing with an audi. I have an '99A6 quattro sedan and its repairs and sevice have been minor but frequent enough to be aggrevating...but the real issue is the cost of out-of warranty repairs....yikes! i am negotiating an extended warranty as we speak.
      the brakes on audis are legendary maintenance problems...you'll get used to replacing rotors.
      the mpg you report is pretty standard. you may get a bit better on a long highway trip, youll get worse with the ac running in the summer.
      the 6 disc changer in the rear is annoying but works well.
      the last issue is tires...quattro and that much weight is hellacious on tires....rotate every 5K and expect to get 20K on premium high performance rubber...i have found the yokahama db 2 to be the best balance of performance, rainy weather traction ,quiet ride and value ....$500 per set.
     good luck!

mark
    Speaking of brakes, I just took my Avant to the dealer because they seemed to be a bit slow. The mechanic discovered that the rear brakes were bad and had to replace them. The front ones were 'cleaned' whatever that means. I suppose the brakes went bad from sitting on the lot for awhile. I'm wondering why you say the rotors are known to go bad. Is this inherent to the design of them or just drivers who are brake pedal heavy? I've owned/driven different foreign and domestic makes in my time and haven't experienced a lot of 'trouble spots' since I strive to maintain and drive my cars with care.

Having read the information on the ignition coil problem, I had asked the service advisor to check and repair for TSBs or recalls. He indicated there were none. I took him at his word that there aren't any. Was I wrong to assume such?
  • roxrepsroxreps Member Posts: 35
    Someone out there please help me...

I'm betwix and between leasing an allroad and an avant (A6). Does anyone out there have a reccomendation? When I do the numbers, the allroad is such a better lease deal it's hard to pass up. I've read enough post to understand that there is something 'off'' with the allroad. Can anyone out there clarify the difference between the two?

JB
    I notice that there is wind buffeting when my sunroof is open and I'm travelling around 40mph. This problem goes away if I increase or decrease the speed, or lessens, to some extent, if the windows are rolled down. Is this just a design problem with the car? Or something else?
  • dpedersen1dpedersen1 Member Posts: 33
    I have found this to be a problem with almost car I have ever had with a sunroof (including my A6). So I just crack one window to give the air somewhere to go. I am curious if anyone has a better solution??
    Does anyone know if there's a way to change the shift patterns on the Tiptronic? In reading the manual and the Audi website info, I discovered that there some 12 or so different shift patterns for the transmission. I would prefer a more performance oriented shift pattern (if one can get such on an Avant ;).

Yes, I know about shifting in manual mode but its not as smooth as if the computer/transmission did it by itself. I am quite impressed (and pleased) with the smoothness of its operation!
  • subewannabesubewannabe Member Posts: 403
    before there were allroads and the S6, nobody complained about the A6 not having enough performance..it does. The A6 Avant is a really nice wagon...it has a very quiet, luxurious ride that is in keeping with its design . It doesnt handle like a WRX or a Porsche because its not supposed to. The allroad has some great features for buyers who need a wagon that will spend meaningful time off the pavement or in deep snow, esp the height adjustable suspension. The 2.7 turbo gives the allroad better performance numbers, but who needs all that perfomance to haul kids, dogs and groceries? But image sells cars, and image keeps the allroad resale value up higher than a A6 Avant, thus the leasing advantage for the allroad. The added leasing advantage is the audi warranty which essentially eliminates all maintenance and repair costs for the lessee. For a purchaser who is going to hold the car, however, I would be wary of the allroad's turbo engine; it has had much more problematic history than the NA V6.
        The wind buffetting is especially pronounced in the Audis due to their roof contour/ roof window location. Open a rear window a crack until you get above 40 mph and then you should be fine with the windows closed. I find that turning on the fresh air ventilation ( the "economy" button on the climate controls) minimizes this problem in traffic, where you're slowing and accelerating above and below 40 mph.
    mark
  • rubber2rubber2 Member Posts: 1
    any suggestions for after market warranties. have a 2000 A6 avant just out of warranty. thanks
  • audipaytonaudipayton Member Posts: 4
    Just signed a contract with a private seller in my area for a fully loaded 1997 A6 Avant Quattro for $7,500. Car has 101K miles, was well maintained by the dealer exclusively, had ALL the recommended services, including the new timing chain, serpentine belt, tensioner, thermostat, H2O pump, etc., new tires, new struts/shocks, new brakes and regular oil changes [he used dealer supplied non-syn oil]. No other major service was needed while he owned. He was the original owner. The condition is very good, not quite excellent due to a 5" crack of the front bumper cover his wife did this winter during massive snow [she hit an ice floe next to their garage door in a very narrow alley pulling into her garage!]. He rec'd an estimate of $890.00 to repair [ha!] and I priced the bumper cover @ $231.00 [new OEM part] and can get it painted for under $200.00. The cream leather interior needs some saddle soap and the carpet is very good; paint is glossy and nice but has some parking spot related scratches and some scuffs on the rear bumper. They garaged it full time and are older adults, so it wasn't driven hard. Overall, I loved it.

Did I get a good deal? I've seen considerably nastier looking 1996-98 A6Q wagons recently in my area from private parties go for $8500-17K, so I think I might have done all right. I'm hoping to keep this one for a year or 18 months, then turn over for a newer model.

Having done a huge amount of reading here and elsewhere on Audi fan sites, I think I did okay, though my husband is concerned about high miles. Haven't ever purchased a car with this high mileage, so I'm crossing my fingers. Overall, the suspension seemed tight, pick-up good [he's going to have the compression checked] for the engine, and handling/braking acceptably firm/luxurious.

But I'm wondering if I should have held out for an SUV? Two other buyers were headed over to see this car, and the day before, a guy showed up while I was looking at another of the same model/year but I passed due to the extreme abuse obvious. Yet this other guy ponied up the full asking price for that one!
    and congrats on your A6 Avant Quattro! According to Edmunds' TMV numbers, you got a great deal. Please keep us posted on your Audi A6 Avant Quattro experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • audipaytonaudipayton Member Posts: 4
    because prior to finalizing the "deal", I had to get the car inspected per the State of MD. Thank goodness too.

Car went to a state inspection station [these are licensed and regulated by the State and few are willing to do shoddy inspections due to the liability and stiff laws/fines].

The seller agreed to pay to fix anything that needed to pass inspection. The seller is a lawyer.

The inspection is intended to locate all safety and driveability problems, so typically the engine and cooling systems aren't looked at - so we paid a bit more to have that done too. My husband, who knows FAR more than the average consumer [he's an engineer and very mechanically inclined] was present and witnessed the inspection, and was asked to observe the findings to confirm them.

Inspection FAILED due to:

1) Right outer tie-rods bad.

2) Rear tires worn to the inner belts on the INSIDE of the wheels - this is clearly visible to the naked eye when car on the lift.

3) Alignment bad - after replacing 2 tires, realign all FOUR wheels and balance

4) All brake lines are very bad - dangerously bad in fact, and must be replaced.

5) Calipers on brakes are rusty and need to be replaced

6) Replace 3 brake lights - bulbs out

7) Serpentine belt NOT new and has visible age cracks and must be replaced.

In addition to that important stuff, two VERY big problems are present and would need immediate attention:

1) Main seals on engine leaking - as many know, this would involve dropping the transmission and other parts, then replacing the seals. Currently oil is dripping on the differential and can be easily observed when car on the lift. Commented that there must be oil in their driveway or in the garage, something the Seller either knows or should have known.

2) Fluid leaking from transmission and car has a slip from 1st gear to 2nd gear. Possible repairs difficult to include "minor" service and replacing trans pan/gasket OR more major service.

I phoned the Seller, who became irate and assailed the inspector's character, saying that the inspector wants to sell him two new tires. I suggested he take the car to the inspection station and ask to have car put on the lift, so he can observe his own tires and their wear problem. I didn't get a chance to go through the list, as he was foaming at the mouth and wants to take it to "his" dealer [same dealer who missed all the above!].

I'm going to walk away and get my $ back. I already dropped $80.00 on the inspection, and I'm sure the inspector wasn't lying or fabricating these problems. The dealer in question has a long history of being sued and having the MD State Attorney General's office filing suits against them for fraud. My guess is, the Seller is not car savvy, was cheap and wants to believe that all expensive cars are bullet-proof, not requiring more than routine maintenance. He did tell me he only did oil changes every 7K, which to me is an indication of his being cheap, meaning he also skimped on other stuff.

I still need to get my check back and hopefully my $80.00 for the inspection, which I'll fax to the Seller and the "dealer" whom he thinks is so great. As a legal professional, he then won't be able to sell the car to someone else and claim he didn't know of the safety issues and other serious problems. My guess is, he'll end up keeping it, driving it until it breaks down completely and then he'll be one of these jerks who blames someone - usually a mechanic - for the "problems" he knew nothing about at all. ha!

Oh well, I'm going to consider a used Suburban or Tahoe instead and maybe let my dream of an Audi bite the dust. I'm not willing to buy someone's problem child car for any amount of money. Also, the fact that the price was $1K lower than the same car from a different seller in my area indicates that this Seller knew something was up with the car, but maybe was playing dumb.

Sheesh.
  • kccambridgekccambridge Member Posts: 4
    m looking at buying a certified pre owned 2001 A6 Avant with 33K miles, premium sound, and xenon headlights for $26,800 from a reputable dealer. Any thougts?
  • blockislandguyblockislandguy Member Posts: 336
    Forget the price. The first question is "Who is going to warranty this thing for the next three years?" The silence will be awesome.

For what it is worth, for 5K less than the above figure you can pick up a Volvo Certified 2001 XC with a warranty out to 100K. Hello?
  • skennyskenny Member Posts: 2
    kccambridge...
    The A6 may cause you more heartache than you care for
    Make sure the dealership has a reputable service dept
    very important. This is our first and last Audi...even there customer service (Audi USA) is a joke, a pure disgrace for what you pay for the vehicle. We had are A6 in the shop 12 times in the first year...the transmission even went YES the transmission. Ok we were unlucky perhaps but as far as I am concerned I have nothing good to say about Audi. Look at the Volvo XC with the warranty.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    I'm curious as to whether you took the plunge, because I'm considering a similar one. I would hope that the CPO warranty you mentioned would cover most problems.
    I recently had the 50K service done at my local Audi dealership (at 49.8k). There were two issues: the battery and excessive road tire/wheel noise. The battery had drained down and thought the alternator was going bad. Prior to the battery going bad, I noticed the volt meter reading had went from the middle reading (12?) to 14. The dealership changed the battery and supposedly conducted tests on the other systems and did not discover any abnormalities.

The wheels were of concern as when I had the usual 5K rotation service performed at Goodyear. The tech stated that the rear two tires had worn to the point where it had to be replaced. I questioned the fact that there was uneven wear to the point where, at 50K, on the original tires, they had to be replaced and within the last 5K! He stated that it may be because of bad brakes, alignment and/or wheel (tire, rim) issues. I bought 4 new tires, had a road force test done, rebalanced the tires twice, had a four wheel alignment done and determined that there isn't a problem with the tires, rims or suspension components. Audi replaced the front brakes, even though the source of the road noise was from the rear.

Now, Costco, the place where I purchased the tires, said I should give the tires a chance to 'break-in.' I'd think 1100 miles is enough! And there is that annoying groan that is pronounced between 50-60mph. After 60 mph, the sound blends in with the other normal noises that isn't singularly discernible, but adds to the noise in the car.

Three weeks and 1100 miles later, I could not start the car and had the car towed back. To make a long story short, they had to replace the alternator and, now, the starter! Fortunately, or unfortunately, my extended (Easy Care) warranty covered the starter and all but $500 of the alternator. As for the alternator, the warranty company won't pay for a pulley that had to be removed to get at the alternator because it was not a failed part.

As far as the road noise, the last time I went to Goodyear to get the four wheel alignment (and the final factor being supposedly eliminated), the tech stated that it may be a wheel bearing problem.

As of this writing, the car is at the dealer (5th day) awaiting the diagnosis of this problem.

I went back and forth with the dealer to state that they did not properly diagnose the battery and road noise problem but the advisor states they ran diagnostics after the battery install. My question is to the board and any knowledgeable folks out there is how is it all these components would fail just after the 50K service! I don't know if its worth calling Audi Customer Service as the car is out of the normal warranty.
  • rhunterrhunter Member Posts: 1
    I bought my '99 A6 Avant last year with a little over 40k miles on it. I bought it from the local Audi dealer. It now has 67k miles on it and has had the following done to it.

- Prop Shaft seal
    - Crankshaft seal
    - Front CV Boots
    - New Front Rotors
    - New Tires all around
    - Broken Cup Holder(s)
    - Broken Side Mirror Control
    - New Rear Brake Pads
    - Broken Hazard Sign Storage Bin clip

Most of this was handled under the Extended Warranty I bought from the dealer, not a bad deal buying the one the dealer offered- that way the dealer can fight with their Warranty Company, not mine.

I paid about $2400 for the warranty, and they paid out over $3000 in repairs.

I am NOT looking forward to the Timing Belt change, which is coming up soon- I figure will be financing the Dealer's Service Manager's child's college tuition this trip...

Do I like this car? I have a love/hate relationship with my car. I LOVE this car, I just HATE taking it in for repairs. As soon as my warranty runs out, I am trading it in- probably for another used A6 Avant...
    To update my previous post(s) about a phantom wheel/car shake, I took my car in for a Hunter Road Force test and it was determined that my rear tire had bad wheel bearings. So, for those who have experienced an intermittent shudder from one or more of your wheels that wheel balancing and alignments don't fix, consider the Hunter Road Force test.

Fortunately, my extended warranty paid for the service and 4 wheel alignment. My car runs like a charm now. It is very quiet and I am finally enjoying the smooth ride that my recently purchased tires can provide.

As far as the Audi dealership misdiagnosing the problem during the 50K service is a mystery. I'm beginning to lose faith in this particular dealership based on my experiences of late. Not sure if I have any recourse with Audi about recouping the $500 repair costs now. Any comments from readers/members?
    I was driving on the highway and the cover that is fastened to the bottom of the engine came loose and fell off onto the highway. Does this piece really serve a vital function other than to keep the bottom part of the engine relatively free from road grime and dirt? If not, I'm just going to drive the car without it. If there is an aerodynamic purpose, I don't hear any additional road noise with it gone.
  • elliotroseelliotrose Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased an 2000 A6 wagon. i'm really enjoying driving it and just sitting in it. I was wondering if anyone knows which phone and/or service will work best with the wireless/speaker system. I think I have that option(?). Unfortunately, the car came without a manual. I have one on order, but until then, I would like to get a phone that will work.
    If you check out the Audi.com website and check under accessories, for your model, I believe its the Motorola V60 phone that works with the phone prewiring for your car. You should also check other posts on this website, that discuss it and how good or bad it is with their Audis.
  • helen123helen123 Member Posts: 1
    hi trish,

i also had the misfortune of dealing with Hoffman Audi. i just purchased a brand new a4 from hoffman. when i picked up the car, i noticed a dent on the sunroof, of course, the sales guy said that it could be removed using the paintless removal process. needless to say, it was not and they had to do bodywork on it. so now, i have a brand new 32k car that has bondo in it and the paint job they did on it is horrible. in addition, i found many scratches and another dent on the car. they refuse to remove the windshields and paint the roof properly (would cost them too much money) and they will not take the car back and give me a full refund. can i ask what the outcome of your case was? and what attorney did you use. any help from you would be great. this is a horrible dealership.

helen
  • mrejmrej Member Posts: 2
    Hi!

We just purchased a used 2000 A6 Wagon (baby #2 on the way...perfect car!).

Very happy with the car, but unfortunately it came with only one key and no user manual.

Does anyone have any recommendations to get a new programmed key and a user manual?

Thanks!
    EJ...
    You can buy the Audi Key FOB off of Ebay for much less than the dealer would charge. I believe I paid about $10, for use with my Avant, and received the programming instructions as well. Make sure the FOB is for your model as there are some different ones out there. It's not hard to program and you can do it yourself and forgo the dealer charge.

As far as a duplicate key, you will probably have to go to the dealer or some other Audi specialist, who can laser cut the key. It is expensive. I think the quote I received was either $100 or $200 for the key, so I just have the additional FOB and the valet keys.

Another manual? Have you tried contacting Audi USA?
  • dmallikdmallik Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    I just bought a 2004 A6 wagon with 12,000 miles. Now have 15,000. MPG (mostly Atlanta I-285) is about 20.5. Question; at 70 mph, the engine rpm is 2700. I asked the Audi service rep what it should be and he said "2000 to 2200 rpm". He said he would have to check the torque converter activation while driving at 70 mph to see if there is a problem. Has anybody encountered this? What should the rpm be at 70 mph?
    Don
  • rfvhjrrfvhjr Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 A6 Avant (wagon). I bought it with 24K in November 2004 and now have 35K (August 2005). Around town I average 18.5-20 miles per gallon. On the open road, at 70 miles per hour, I get 21-23 miles per gallon. And yes, even though the car has a 5 speed automatic, I run somewhere around 2600 rpm at 70 miles per hour.
  • jacktehjackteh Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I also just brought a 1997 Audi A6 Quattro at $6600. But it have 136000 miles on it.All equipment is working fine, but need your professional advices on some issues......
    1) Is the A6 running on timing belt or chains?
    2) Where can I replace the transmission fluid?
    3) I brought an uncut key from E-bay, where to get the key duplicated?
    4) my RPM read 3500rpm at 65MPH, is it normal?

Thanks!!!
  • victor77victor77 Member Posts: 1
    There is no way to check the transmission fluid on these cars without putting them up on a lift. Most shops CANNOT handle the transmission fluid change, due to the unusual way the trans cooling is set up. I once had my 1996 A6's transmission destroyed due to underfilling of the fluid by an incompetent shop. Be sure to find a shop with extensive Audi experience, or it might even be worth going to a dealer. Far better to just leave it alone than to take it to any old place for a fluid change. 3500 rpm @ 65 is normal. I have had four Audis & have driven them very hard for hundreds of thousands of miles. They are good value for the money. Good luck with yours.
  • blissfulblissful Member Posts: 84
    Looking for input on selling price (private party) for my 2000 A6 wagon. Here's the list of options:
    Navigation
    Heated seats/leather interior
    Parktronic
    Xenons
    Cd changer/Bose stereo
    Sunroof
    Rear 3rd seat
    Front/side airbags
    Exterior has a couple minor scratches, interior is in very nice condition.
    Has 52K miles
    Lightly used (single owner, not family car), mix of city and longer road trips
    Oregon car.

Thoughts??
    Thanks!
    (I've ordered another car already from a dealer out of the area) :confuse:
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    You might want to try this link:
    Edmunds TMV Used Car Appraiser

That should give you a good idea of what the vehicle is selling for in your area.
  • plwlrfnplwlrfn Member Posts: 1
    Any ideas as to how to replace the "third eye" brake light? Do you access this from the outside or inside? Any tips?

Thanks
  • marleybarrmarleybarr Member Posts: 334
    Victor77 is absolutely right. There is no dipstick on the Audi transmission. Audi claims the fluid is "lifetime" and doesn't need to be changed. My experienced independent Audi shop says change every 50,000 miles.Also, be sure to .use the special "petrosin" transmission fluid, about $12/qt., you'll need 6 quarts, and a new Audi transmission gasket kit, about $27.00 from some of the internet Audi parts places. Bringing this car, for any reason, even a simple oil change, to a non-Audi experienced shop could mean real disaster for you and your pocketbook.
This discussion has been closed.