Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    Wayne,

Try www.saabnet.com if you haven't already looked there.

George
  • jonw2jonw2 Member Posts: 49
    Joe,
    Congratulations! I'm sure the long wait will be worth it. Let us know how it goes.
    Jon W.
  • bmwjoebmwjoe Member Posts: 136
    Jon,

I cruised over the the dealer yesterday to have a peek at the car. My virtual car (ordered via CarOrder.com) was a reality. I checked the sticker and it had the one option I wanted, heated seats. It was sitting there with all the white plastic on it and the covers all over the interior so it was hard to get hopped up about the looks.

They will perform the dealer preperation today and I will pick it tonight. Yes I am very excited!

Drive Safe,

Joe

Here'e a picture of me with my new Saab. (The
    anti-minivan) Thanks to Car Order for facilitating
    the purchase and saving me significant money.
    Also, thanks to Edmunds and all you guys/gals on
    this BB for sharing your experiences with the 9-5 wagon. It helped me make my decision.

I love the way this car drives (when my wife lets me drive it.) I will be putting on the 7-spoke wheels from the Saab catalog along with the front and rear spoilers this week.

Drive Safe,

Joe
    See all my toys
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Congrats on your purchase, Joe!

Glad to hear this forum and Edmund's was helpful.

KarenS
    Wagons host
  • ginadacarbyrginadacarbyr Member Posts: 1
    Hi all. I think I'm set to buy a Saab 9-5 wagon, but I must say, I loved my test-drive of the BMW 528i. It is more expensive, of course. My biggest concern about the Saab is that after driving the BMW, the Saab felt so stiff. Maybe I just read too much about it before driving it though, so it stuck in my mind. Any advice?

Also, I would prefer to buy instead of lease, since I tend to hold onto cars forever. But, my dealer keeps calling and going on about this sweet lease deal. I read that you all think there may be a financing deal soon? Any mystics here who can predict when?

Thanks,

Gina
    Gina,

As a general rule of thumb, no matter how "sweet" a lease deal is, if you plan to hold on to you car for a long time, it is better to finance. If you would like to work out the numbers some more, try out this Lease Calculator. It allows you to get an idea as to how much you will spend overall with various financing options.

BTW, either one of your choices are excellent.

George
    Hi,

I have a 2000 9-5 wagon and I purchased the CD changer. I am 1/2 way through the installation and I can't find the cable to hook it up. I removed all of the panels per the instructions and searched the existing cable back and forth and I can't find the connector. The instructions are in 6 languages, but the pictures are inadequate. I have checked down to the Can someone tell me where it is?

Thanks,

Joe
    Joe,
    I've been away for a couple weeks, so this was the first I've seen you in the photo with your new 9-5 wagon. I would say it looks well worth waiting several months for delivery. BTW, would you still order manual shift? I was wondering if you still prefer manual since having a chance to drive the manual.
    This wagon board has been a little slow of late. We need to get a sloshing fuel tank controversy going, or "things that go bump in the night." Just kidding, of course.
    Anyway, thanks for the feedback on your new
    9-5. Congratulations,and keep us posted on how it's going. Best of luck.
    Jon W.
    Jonw2,

We only have 500 miles on the car, but love it more every day. The manual transmission is still our choice. The clutch is very light and it shifts like buttah. Since it is new I am keeping my foot out of it and the revs below 4.5k. Can't wait to get to know mr. Turbo.

I installed the front and rear spoilers, 7-spoke mags and black pearl grill. It looks even more racy than before. Someone came up to my wife and complimented her on the car. (No one ever says "Hey, nice minivan.")

BTW, I located the CD cable. It is in Trollhatten. It seems Saab left the cable out of cars with VINS greater than 3400. Mine is 3600. Saab Warrantees this and I get a new cable free. After dissasembleing the trim panels to install the CD changer and spoilers, I am very impressed with the build quality. I think SAAB is Swedish for "soundproofing".

Taking a road trip with the car this weekend. can't wait.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • dyannedyanne Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I've enjoyed reading this site for a number of weeks. (Your red wagon is beautiful bmwjoe)I've been yearning for the Saab 9-5 wagon, but would like to know if $35,049 is a fair price to pay. (Automatic trans & leather package.)
    This is a really big investment for me, and I have a few last minute jitters -- hoping I'm not buying something that may prove unreliable. (And that it's a wise place to put so much money.)
    Thanks!
  • wagonbyrwagonbyr Member Posts: 26
    Dyanne,
    I have to agree with Jon. $35k seems a bit high. I picked up a 9-5 Wagon last week for $33k (prem pkg, std trans, metalic paint)That was $600 below invoice. I think the deals will only get better as dealers try to make way for the 2001 models. By the way, we LOVE our new Saab. The only issue I have is I'm still trying to figure out how to program the audio system.

Also, I was told this car has 36,000 miles of free scheduled maintenance. The dealer told me I'd be getting maintenance vouchers from Saab USA in the mail. Have not gotten anything yet. Can someone confirm this is the way the free maintenance program works?

Jim
  • dyannedyanne Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice guys! I live near Hilton Head, SC. Dealership in Charleston wanted $35,800. Hiton Head started at $35,500. Then offered $35,049 which inclued taxes and tags @$329. Now, I just need to contemplate getting the guts for bartering!!
    This dealership also offers 3years maintence but I don't know the details.
    Diane
  • ajpdavisajpdavis Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a wagon with a 3rd seat. Can I get it with the Saab?
    I am looking for a wagon with a 3rd seat. Can I get it with the Saab?

Nope, only the Mercedes E-Class wagons, Audi A6 Avant, Volvo V70 series, and Ford Taurus are the current models that offer such a convenience. However, these 3rd row seats do have weight limits. Thus, if you plan on using the seats often or need it for older kids, then you may want to consider a minivan or SUV with 3rd row seating.

George
    Many people maintain that automatic transmissions are nearly as reliable as manual. That may be true, but that's only part of the story, especially if, like myself, one keeps the car for many years. I just had the experience of accompanying my wife's cousin to a national transmission repair chain, where she was told that overhaul of her ailing '92 Toyota Corrola would cost $2200, at a minimum. Installation of a remanufactured transmission was quoted at $3300!
    Curious, I asked what it would cost for rebuilding a Saab automatic and was told it would be well over $3000. The question that comes to mind is why an option that costs approximately $1200 new becomes a $3000 repair job later. Obviously, it must be in the labor costs to remove and rebuild the old transmission. Any thoughts on this?
    jon w.
  • dave201dave201 Member Posts: 1
    How much are people paying for a 9-5 4 cyl, auto, with premium package? Are there any deals on line. I tried the buysaabonline site and it doesn't seem to be working.
    How is the car done on road test reports?
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    Jon,

Perhaps a more fair comparison would add in the
    'cost' of the manual transmission. I think that
    the 1200ish is the delta to have the automatic.
    Vanalder,
    Your point is well taken. I'm sure the cost of the manual transmission is factored into the final price of the car.
    Incidently, I mentioned in my earlier note that my wife's cousin consulted a national transmission chain about her Toyota Corolla. It seems that she was nearly taken by flim-flam artists. I saw their prelininary report that stated that the transmission fluid level was full. Despite their urging that she leave it for them to rebuild the transmission, she drove it home, about two miles away.
    Her brother, who is an excellent mechanic, checked it later and couldn't get a reading on the stick. He said a part had loosened which allowed fluid to escape, something that an honest, qualified technician wouldn't have missed. He corrected the problem and restored the fluid level and the car runs fine.
    As it turns out, I guess this story is more about repair shop honesty than about automatic vs. manual. It reinforces the need to get a couple opinions, if possible, when the diagnosis indicates major repair work.
    jon w.
  • mtyakermtyaker Member Posts: 3
    I have just ordered a 9-5 wagon, my first Saab though I have always been a Saab fan. (the lease deals were just to good!) I am a kayaker and I was disappointed to discover that the wagon has no roof rails. Saab catalog offers two different systems, the "sport" and the "multi system". Dose anyone have any experience with these systems? I am concerned about wind noise and easy of removal and installation.
    I got the Mult-Purpose Roof Rail Bars from the Saab catalog. I have not put them on yet, but they look like they will fit the rails just fine. They go across the existing rails and look quite sturdy. Stop in your Saab dealer and look at the catalog.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • gdbmgdbm Member Posts: 1
    As much as I love Saab, it seems to me that there are some major problems with the 9-5 line that MUST be dealt with in the next redesign. I post this not to arouse anger, but as constructive criticism – I want to see Saab rise to a position of great respect among auto enthusiasts. I'm also interested as to whether anyone else shares my opinions.

-9-5 exterior design must look its part as an executive sedan . . . currently, the dark protection strips around the car give the car a cheap, unsubstantial, even amateurish look . . . the available front lip spoiler should be standard; without it, the 9-5 looks "gangly" and empty in the front
    -9-5 interior built quality must be improved . . . compare it against a VW and you might wonder where the extra 20,000 spent on the Saab disappeared to . . . the front seats desperately need lateral support; driving through hilly roads you feel as though the only thing keeping you in place is your grip on the steering wheel
    -9-5 handling . . . I drive a '99 V6 and when I try to drive in even a mildly spirited manner, let alone with some energy, the suspension seems to give out, the sixteen inch wheels and tires can hardly maintain a solid connection to the pavement, and the car, admittedly heavy, leans dangerously . . . the overall feeling is discouraging.

Having said that, there is certainly no other model on the market today that I'd rather be driving, though an Aero wagon might be in order in year or two. :-)

Hope everybody continues to enjoy their 9-5 . . .

-gb
    I have to agree on some points. We bought a 2000 9-5 wagon 2 weeks ago. It's my wifes car and she has let me drive it twice - and not out of town. First let me say my wife tells me she loves it more and more every day. But I have a few issues which I reluctant to share with her.
    First is the seat, I agree additional lateral support would be welcome. I'm 40 something and seat comfort becomes more important with age.
    Second, turbo lag. Granted this is the first turbo I've owned and the lag is insignificant compared to the 2001 Volvo I drove, I guess I'm just not used to the milisecond delay before it roars to life.
    Third, torque curve is a bit high. I like to shift at the low 3000's. But torque doesn't kick in until 3500 or higher. (At 3500 it really is impressive)
    The trip computer and sterio need to be simplified. Do not try to figure it out while driving.
    And last is steering response. I benchmark against our 1991 Saab 9000 with 215,000 mile on it. On our old Saab, you just jiggle the wheel and the car responds. The new Saab has just a slight amount of play in steering before it starts to respond. I prefer the tighter steering.

Bottom line...my wife would shoot me if I ever suggested replacing it with another vehicle. If we could do it all over we would still buy the 9-5 wagon, 2.3t, 5 speed. But I agree, Saab engineers could do a bit of tweaking.
  • mrjmrj Member Posts: 21
    We have had our 99 2.3T Wagon for about 7 months and 8K miles. My wife is the primary driver and hauls around two kids most of the time; I mess around with it on weekends. First of all, I generally like the look of the car - even better than the 9-5 sedan. "Gangly" or "empty" in front and amateurish in appearance are not my impressions at all. I'd save the disparaging descriptors for cars like the PT cruiser or anything from Pontiac. Yeah, the seats don't have the best lateral support, it leans a bit when you toss it, but this car is still a lot of fun for 95% of the driving we do - which is around town and on local byways and highways. The overall ride and feel is tight, yet compliant. I think it is pretty well tweaked for daily maneuvering, by my standards. It is clearly not a high end sport sedan, but it blows away the SUV/minivan alternatives that we had to choose from. We also got ours for under 30K last year, so I also felt it was a better value than the Passat Wagon, which I tested extensively (I do agree the Passat is a sweet car, but the 1.8T with auto was sluggish around town compared to the Saab, and there were other factors and quirks that pushed me to the Swedes (phenomonal safety design, great 4 banger, cool cupholder, cargo area, etc.) So......I'd buy it all over again. My wife, who drives the car very hard, concurs. And me, I'll be saving my pennies to buy an Audi S4 Avant when it comes out (in a few months) to scratch my secret itch for a stealth bomber.
    I live in Montana, a very rural state of 700,000 people, even though it's the fourth largest by land mass. We only have one Saab dealer in the state, some 210 miles from where I live. Based on lots of soul searching and internet research I decide to lease a 9-5 wagon with out seeing or driving one. I know a large leap of faith but a great move. I told the dealer I wanted a red I4 with auto, heated seats, and cloth interior (I am a kayaker and water would ruin the leather). He told me he found one just off the boat in Portland and it would be three weeks to deliver.
    Well 5 days later he called and told me the car was in. Now the fun begins. The plan was to fly to the dealer (210 miles) to get the car and drive it home. Remember I am in Montana, the plane is so small you have to bend over to walk down the isle and it only seats 16 people. I worked a half day, drove to the local airport in the rain and snow and boarded the little plane only to be told we would have to get off and wait out the snow storm. (this is May 31)
    Three hours later the storm let up enough for us to fly. It was the most frightening flight of my life. The plane bobbed and twisted in the wind like a toy for most of the 50 minute flight. I arrived at the dealership at almost 5 P.M. and yet the sales person spent 45 minutes reviewing the car and introducing be to the staff. I still had to drive the 210 miles of strictly 2 lane highway home. It was the most enjoyable drive I have experienced. The weather broke and the beautiful Montana sky opened up and the scenery wonderful. The car exceeded all my hopes. The stereo was great, the ride very tight, but comfortable (my other car is a 99 Miata). Plenty of power from the 4 cylinder, love the sports setting on the tranny. The cloth seat solve the lateral support problem, they grip like velcro.
    When I could see home I was disappointed my drive was over, I enjoyed the car so much.

Clint
    Clint,
    Thanks for the interesting story. We have driven through some of Montana and have friends who live near Glasgow. A beautiful state! Your airplane flight sounded like a real white-knuckle flight, but glad you enjoyed your drive back home. Good luck with your new wagon.
    jon w.
    Clint,
    This is a followup to my previous note. I was wondering if you do any kayaking in British Columbia. My wife and I have traveled through much of southern BC on several trips, and we think it is one of the most beautiful places we have ever been. I'm sure there are many kayaking opportunities there. We live about a two-hour drive from some of the best kayaking in the east on the Youghiogheny in western Maryland and not much farther from West Virginia's famed Cheat River etc.

About 35 years ago, I became interested in kayaking and assembled a 17-1/2 foot Folbot, which you may be familiar with. It was of a wood frame construction covered by a naugahyde-like material. Pretty crude by today's standards, but it provided much entertainment for our family and lasted several years. Later we bought a 16-foot, two-seat polyethelene touring kayak made by Perception in South Carolina, which we still have and occasionally use. We have only kayaked fairly easy gradients, except for one trip down the Big Pine in N. Pennsylvania during high water. A tale too long to tell here.

I mention this because I think kayaking is one of the greatest family pastimes. I was never into racing or competition, and as you might surmise, a little long in the tooth to even think about it now. Your new 9-5 wagon should be just the ticket for carrying your kayaks to the great waterways of the west. BTW, I don't know if you happened to read William Least Heat Moon's great book, "River-Horse," about traversing the continent by water, but it pretty much follows and details the course taken by Lewis and Clark through Montana.

Sorry for digressing from the topic of Saab wagons, but I also get caught up in the subject of kayaking. However, I will say that I think you picked the right wagon for the job.
    jon w
    I wrote about picking up my new wagon in Montana yesturday. With only 250 miles and less that 24 hours of ownership, the engine malfunction light came on last night. The car also smells of sulfur (catalytic converter?). I am 210 miles from the nearest daeler. Shoud be interesting to see how Saab handle this. The check has not even cleared yet. I will let you know if they so the right thing or not. Hope I don't have to put a "stop" on that check.

Clint

Jon W, thanks for the responce, I am to upset to write now, but will folllow up later.
    Clint,
    Sorry you are having problems. However, I doubt if this is a serious problem. The Engine Check lights can come on for a number of reasons. The downside, in your case, is the long distance to your dealer. I hope you are able to resolve it without making a return trip to the dealer. I wonder if the dealer overlooked a preliminary check or activation of something in the emissions system? In any event, the dealer should be able to advise you, or even send someone out to check it out. Good luck.
    jon w.
  • kn7kn7 Member Posts: 2
    Did you forget to tighten the gascap ?
    I called the dealer on scheduling our 1000 mile check up and again asked how this free maintenance program works. This time I was told that the program in computerized and works off your VIN. We'll see. Does anyone have first hand experience with this program?

BTW...Clint, our hearts go out to you. Hope your check engine problem is a simple fix - something the dealer can have fixed without driving 200+ miles to have checked out (gas cap?). Let us know what happens.

Jim
    Paul,
    Thanks for the good report. However, I had a question about using premium gas. If it's not the V6, I was wondering if premium gas is really necessary. I've heard it recommended to use Chevron, which contains a chemical (forgot the name) to prevent carbon buildup. Presumably, it's in the regular grade gas as well. Also, I was wondering if 10,000 miles is the recommended interval for oil changes for a turbo, even with an excellent synthetic like Mobil 1. It seems that I've read that 5000 miles is a suggested interval with turbo, and a higher mileage for non-turbo. Excuse all my questions; I've never owned a turbo, but I would like to learn more about it. Thanks. jon w.
  • pshiaopshiao Member Posts: 2
    Jon,

I am no expert when it comes to cars. My brother-in-law is studying to be a mechanic. He told me that in general regular gasoline does not contain detergent that you get in a premium. Over a period of time, there will be carbon build up inside the engine cylinder and on the engine valves. And this carbon build up can cause the gasoline to pre-ignite and cause the engine to knock and ping. And if the knocking and pinging persists over a long period of time, it may cause engine damage.

But I don't know much about the Saab technology. Maybe the computer in Saab cars can sense the pre-ignition and make the engine adjustments to prevent pre-combustion. If this is the case, then I may be wasting my money on premium gasoline.

As to engine oil, I try to go with the best because the turbo causes the engine to run at high temperature. Engine oil viscosity breaks down at high temperature which can cause metal to metal wear and tear. I use synthetic oil because it has a higher temperature tolerance. If you want to know more, go to this website: http://www.redlineoil.com

I hope this helps.

Paul
  • vanaldervanalder Member Posts: 29
    Am in the final throes of making a decision to get
    a 9-5 wagon. Plan on getting the 5-speed manual. Have driven (briefly) an SE, but the dealer does not order 5-speed wagons. Can probably try a sedan, but am not sure the test will tell me much
    about passing ability.
    The reason for this feeling is that Edmunds shows
    the 0-60 times for the sedan vs wagon as 8.3 vs
    10.7 seconds. The weights are 3280 vs 3640 pounds. The delta of 2.4 seconds for 360 lbs seems high.
    Assuming the cars were tested with a driver, then
    adding only two 'standard' size adults in the back
    will give this difference.
    I could care less about 'jack-rabbit' starts, but
    I do want to be able to pull out and pass with
    a fair amount of acceleration. I believe the
    Aero version is too expensive for what you get.

Has anyone driven a 2.3t manual with four people and some reasonably large amount of luggage?

Comments/experiences/etc.?

Daan
    We have a 2.3t 5 speed Wagon. I think acceleration is fine as long as you are in the 3500-4500 RPM range. Haven't timed it but accelereates well for typical highway merging & passing. Just get those R's up.
    Daan,

I got 1200 miles on my 2.3t wagon manual. Plenty of grunt for normal driving. Just finished a 400 mile road trip with the family. The car was loaded almost to the gills. Four people & Dog, toatl about 485 lbs of people/pets and all of our stuff. Absolutly no problem with power. Downshift and punch it.

The Saab has an unusual engine with a perfectly flat torque curve. Once you get on the turbo at about 3000 rpm it just keeps on pulling. There is no "top-end", gust meaty torque in the middle. The trick is to downshift to get the revs up a little. I got 28 mpg on the trip with 32 mpg for the pure highway section. I had over 400 miles on the tank and the reserve light was not on. IMO, power is not a problem.

My wife and I also get lots of compliments on the car. Mini-vans don't get compliments.

Needless to say we love it.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • lieberson1lieberson1 Member Posts: 32
    Remember me? I'm the glider pilot with the 9.5 SE wag. V6. This may be a dumb question so please don't laugh....where the heck is the air filter/breather box?!? I can't find the #@*% thing! BTW, Concrats on getting your rig. It looks great! After 8.5K I'm still loving mine more and more each day.

I'm trying to "drive safe"! Rick
    Rick,

I assume you are asking about the cabin air filter, not the engine air filter. Here is the routine:

- Remove Glove Box.

- Remove the cover to the heating and ventilation unit, taking care not to damage the lead connected to the antifrost thermostat.

- Change the filter element. The particle filter should be placed right at the front, against the engine bay.

- When fitting, make sure that the cover closestightly to prevent condensate leakage.

Hope this helps.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • 228228 Member Posts: 1
    What you may, or may not, be hearing is the turbo
    whimpering - just kidding, kinda. No matter how often you change the oil with a turbo, the healthiest ritual to get into is letting the engine sit, and the turbo cool, for a minute or two before shutting down.

I don't a Saab, yet, but do have a turbo engine.
    I have grown VERY accustom to dealers for various cars saying "I've never heard that sound," and now tend not to take any advice too seriously at first. Hope this helps.

P.S. I have very much enjoyed this group in consideration of a Saab - probably an Aero wagon.
    Thx, but I did mean the engine air filter! Where is it on the v6? The manual has no info on it! Rick
    It looks like the air filter is in front of the right front wheel in a round-ish housing. The cover has 4 screws. Here are the instructions:

1- Raise Car

2- Remove the air cleaner cover

3- Lower cover and remove element

I bet you were looking under the hood. How un-Saab.

Good luck changing your filter.

Joe
    Opps! This is my first Saab! I did not think to look under the car! Unless I missed it in the manual there is no mention of your instructions! Thanks for the info. You da man! Take care and have a great weekend.

fly safe,
    Rick
  • slaabslaab Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to pick up a 9.5 wagon that my company is providing me. I might have to get a model with charcoal leather seats, will that be a problem in the sun (I live in Florida) or should I press for the lighter color (sand)? Anybody have any advice or am I needlessly obsessing over an insignificant detail?!
    We just got a 9-5 wagon with the Charcoal cloth interior. It is not too bad. The 9-5 has special glass that reduces the heating of the car in the sun. The AC works very well too.

Can you get the ventilated seats? I hear people love them.

We live in Pennsylvania where it is hot and humid, but the sun is not as bad a Florida.

Drive Safe,

Joe
  • sherndonsherndon Member Posts: 8
    I have the charcoal leather non-ventilated in my 2000 9-5 and live in California. We have had temps in the 100's a couple of times this season so far, and the seats are not extraordinarily hot. Of course, I keep a screen in the windshield when parked, and most times I leave the sunroof popped up to vent the heat.

The AC works very well, and I would have to say it really has not been an issue with dark seats. We thought they looked great with the Sun Green exterior. Sand wouldn't quite have worked as well, i think.
    A couple weeks ago, our oft-plagued '93 Ford Taurus showed signs of transmission slippage at 95K miles. Knowing they are notorious for failure, I seriously started looking for a good deal on a Saab. I thought I had the answer when I received a note from our credit union that they had a special program by which they could lease any car with no state sales tax. (I understand credit unions have a special waiver on sales tax for leases in some states.) By coincidence, I had just read an advertisement in the Washington Post for a special Saab lease program for $399 per month. Eureka! It sounded great.

I called our credit union and told them that I would be interested in leasing a Saab 9-5, explaining that I would like a base model with only heated seats and the more expensive paint and the option of 15K miles per year. The credit union representative said I would probably have to take an automatic, which I reluctantly accepted. Later that day I received a call from our credit union representative and she explained that they couldn't match my preference, and I would have to take a fully loaded Saab with the premium package. She said it would be $651 per month! I'm a little hard of hearing, so I asked if she would repeat the figure. Again, she repeated -- $651 a month! I respectfully, declined and thanked her for her effort.

Now I'm beginning to wonder if I missed something in the advertisement. Certainly, the extra 3K miles per year and the added options would add to the cost -- but $250 a month more? Maybe someone can explain what I don't understand about Saab's leasing program. I would have been willing to go as high as $450 per month. However, at $651 per month the cost for three years would have been $23,436, and if we decided to purchase, we would have still owed a residual of well over $20,000 at the end of three years!

We immediately went car shopping, and I guess you can understand why there is a newly purchased 2000 Subaru Legacy wagon in our garage instead of a new Saab 9-5. However, we still have our old reliable Saab 900S.
    jon w.
  • sumisrasumisra Member Posts: 2
    The lease deals you see advertised are being offered through Saab Credit. They have nothing to do with what your credit union/bank/grandma will offer you for financing.

Had you walked into a Saab dealer and spent 10 minutes filling out a form, you'd be driving a loaded Saab 9-5 for $399/mo. Of course, you'd still have paid sales tax but even that would've brought you in under your $450 limit.

We have a loaded 9-5 SE that's running us $406/mo.: Financed directly through Saab Credit because our credit union couldn't even come close to matching that figure (DUH!)

Enjoy that Subaru.
    Sumisra,

Thanks for your note. It sounds like you got a very good lease. The ironic thing is that I've discussed leases with two local Saab dealers in the past two weeks, and I didn't get the opinion that they were unusually generous. In fact, one dealer discouraged me from thinking lease. He had only one 9-5, a sedan, in stock because he said there wasn't that much demand for them in our area. (They sell several makes of cars.) When I saw the credit union offer, I thought it might be a special offer between the credit union and the auto dealers.

I'm a little disappointed, but I have have no great regrets. The Legacy is a fine car and rates very well on reliability. My wife loves it. At my age, I'm not looking for a rocket and the 165 hp Boxer engine should be very adequate. Perhaps it was for the best. I'll own the Legacy outright and maybe save 15 or 20 grand in the process.
    Regards,
    jon w.
  • sadvsadv Member Posts: 1
    Sumisra,
    I noticed that you got a loaded 9-5 SE for a monthly lease payment of $406/mo. Could you provide me some details on that? When did you get this lease - was it recently? What options did you get on your 9-5 SE ? I am very close to a decision on leasing a 9-5 and would appreciate your input.
    Thanks and best regards.
  • sumisrasumisra Member Posts: 2
    Here's how it worked for me:

1) Saab Credit is currently offering 2.9% leases on 9-5s (36 mo./57% residual).

2) Greenlight.com is selling loaded SEs for ~$37.5K (Mine has heated/ventilated seats and metallic paint).

I ordered the car through Greenlight, then financed it through Saab credit before I took delivery.

Do the math: 12K/year, $2500 down gets you a $406 monthly payment.