Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Saab 9-5 Wagon

Comments

• bcoolbcool Member Posts: 59
    I just went through the same deal with my '92 9000. After 100M, it had alot of expensive repairs - most justifiable, some not. I was able to justify the $$ because I didn't have any car payments. The car was practical, and a lot of fun to drive. Some things were very reliable, like the AC, M-transmission, brakes and wheel allignment. Other things were not. The previous owner only changed the oil every 10,000 miles, if that. This may have caused the timing chain the break at 140M. In retrospect, I learned that it was to expensive to maintain at the dealer. The mechanics at the dealer also seemed to do rush jobs, and if they fixed one problem, they seemed to cause another. Sometimes their diagnosis was wrong and they unnecessarily replaced expensive parts. If you have a good affordable, independent SAAB mechanic, you might want to keep it. Get some grills for the fog lights. SAABnet.com (http://saabnet.com/tsn/faq/miles/) has a list of people with high and ultra-high mileage SAABs. I suppose all cars are expensive to maintain after +100M these days, even BMW's. I finally got rid of the '92 at 181M, and bought a new one.
  • nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    I had a 2002 Arc with the v-6. Engine and performance wise, I loved this car. And having driven a 4-cyl Saab a couple of times, I preferred the v-6's ride myself. Plus, the fit and finish of my Saab was spot on -- everything was solid as a rock. Best build quality and materials of any car I've ever owned. And yet, I just traded mine in, at only 45k miles, for of all things a 06 Jeep Grand Cherokee. Why? While I loved the performance and overall reliability of my Saab, the rumbly and somewhat noisy ride got on my nerves, and the lack of decent-sized cubbies and cupholders was annoying. I hated having to lay my cell phone and all the accompanying gadgets either on the passenger seat or on the floor. Stupid stuff like that. Plus, my service experiences in the last year weren't very good. (Only 2 dealerships in Orange County, CA.) However, I will say, the back half of the Saab, the rear seats and armrest plus the cargo area were far superior to my new jeep. However, in the front of the cabin, the jeep has all the cubbies and space I need for all my crap. Plus it's quiet and smooth. Now, will it be reliable? Well, let's just say I bought the extended warranty. While I had sort of a love-hate relationship with my Saab, I appreciated it for the quality build and performance. I've heard mixed things about the v-6, I just never had any issues with it.
    You're right. Why doesn't SAAB get with it and put 2 cup holders up front. At the same time, a little more storage for the cell phone, sun block, a large bottle of water, sun glasses, etc. How about an ipod/mp3 port too. The older SAAB's had bigger glove boxes, with multiple compartments, too. I had a '03 Grand Cherokee before this, now my wife has it. It's a different ride.
  • q_manq_man Member Posts: 1
    2006 Saab 9-5; dealership asking 34,851 net of all incentives - what do you think - should I purchase?
    I'm not sure which model you're asking about, but it seems like they may be a little more juice to squeeze from that orange. Look to get between 20 and 30 percent off MSRP for an '06 this late in the year.
  • saablcpsaablcp Member Posts: 195
    Get real Dude!Where do you come up with 30% off M.S.R.P.???????? LOL! Saab 9-3 Aero Conv.,M.S.R.P.@$45,000 (app.)buy in Sept '06 for what....$31,500???? RIGHT..put me down for two!!!!!
  • smu1976smu1976 Member Posts: 110
    The car is a year old already, if not more? Euro delivery gets you 20% off MSRP and 2K for traveling? With a MSRP of 45,500 for a 9-3, I think I would want close to 20 plus percent off or go get a 3 series BMW, which will hold its value way more than this Saab and outperform it. Depends where you live and the market. Converts hurt your negotiation, Aero's ain't what they used to be. If your in a big city with a high volume Saab dealer, your not going to get much off. Shop across the U.S., try dealers in Kansas City, Oklahoma City and they will deal and ship you the car.
    You,of course,are entitled to your opinion.However this is not a matter of opinion.First point:Saab European delivery saves you approximately 9% off M.S.R.P.,for example '07 9-5 Sport-Combi base M.S.R.P.(U.S.A.)@$35,370.00,base M.S.R.P.(I.D.S.)@32,170.00.Second point,regardless of your opinion of the products performance or resale value,you are not going to find ANY MODEL FROM ANY MANUFACTURER that is going to have a LEGITIMATE 20% discount off of sticker....and we are not including current year corporate demos,which would have miles on them and might even have already been titled.You are expressing an opinion based on what you think you should expect,I am speaking facts.
    Put me down for two!! I guess that they can see you coming from a mile away. WC Fields has a great saying... TASBED. These numbers are just from experience. I got 31% of my last SAAB (not a convertible). Negotiated 21% off an '06 VOLVO, for my wife, last July. Dude, car prices drop so quickly these days, it doesn't make sense to buy used. Don't walk in waving $$ and your good old credit around. Squeeze 'em. BTW, I think that SAABS are the best cars around.
    Yes, of course!!! SAABS are very beautiful cars. You will enjoy it for many years.
    I recently traded my 02 Arc wagon (V6) for a Jeep Grand Cherokee, and not a month into it, I'm regretting it like heck. Sure the Saab had shortcomings, but what car doesn't??? Only now in hindsight can I say how great the car was overall. So I'm getting out of the Jeep pretty quick and probably coming back to a wagon. (main issue with jeep is comfort -- my back is killing me since i got this car.) Anyway, my problem, apart from what GM seems to be doing to the look and quality of the newer Saabs, is will a 4 cylinder even with 260 hp suffice on grades, mountain roads, etc.??? I haven't had a 4-cyl in years but the 9-5 no longer offers a v6 option. Any input would be appreciated.
    Well, I had some time to kill this morning, so I went and drove an 06 9-5 wagon, and was pleasantly surprised. Good power, and it's actually smoother and quieter than my 02 Arc v6. Acceleration is not as smooth as the v6, the pedal feel is different, but once it gets going, quite nice. I'm actually thinking of going back to saab. May drive a couple other wagons for comparison, but I like it. Except the sentronic thing, with the manual paddles on the steering wheel. Thats's just stupid and awkward, but I wouldn't use it much I guess. Oh, and they've definitely worked in some cheaper, harder plastic around the dash and doors. That's GM's touch I'm sure.
    OK, another questions: How are the non-ventilated leather seats when it 's hot? Do they get yucky and sweaty? It's such top grade leather, wondering if I have to have the ventilation, even though I know it's fabulous. (Had one previously.)
    Obviously I'm going to have to get very specific in order to show you the error of your ways.First though I need to let you know one important thing ...I sell Saabs for a living so please don't presume to know more than I about what is and is not realistically achievable in regard to savings.For example let's use a 2006 9-3 Sport-Combi and let's utilize every possible savings available.M.S.R.P. @$33,165.00.If you are eligible for GM Employee pricing the price drops to $30,117.00.If the car is a former service loaner car you have an additional $1,000.00 rebate and through 09/30/06 you have dealer cash totalling $3,500.00.this brings your final price down to $25,617.00 for a total savings of $7,548.00.This calculates to a discount of 22.76%.I don't recall you ever mentioning being eligible for GM Employee pricing or that you were interested in a retired service loaner car,both of which are necessary to achieve this level of discount.Have I adequately made my case?NOW do you get it?????
    With the automatic climate control, you might be able to do without ventilated seats. The ACC system keeps the cabin very comfortable. Also the seats are very comfortable in and of them selves - even on very hot days. My wife has the Jeep, and there is definitely a difference between the Jeep seats and the SAAB's. The SAAB's are much more refined. Regarding your question about the "4" cylinder vs the "6", I have the "4", and it's really nice. Plenty of power, torque and everything else. I can understand why SAAB stuck with it for so long. On uphill grades the turbo kicks in real well and the car will blow by almost anything else. I love taking it on a camping or long road trip. I share your comments about the sensitronic paddle shifters. Guess I should have gone the the SAAB AERO School to learn more about how to use them. If you want extra performance, sport mode does the trick. However, the paddle shifters are a nice feature in heavy stop and go traffic. Keep it in one gear and let the engine do the breaking. It saves the tranny from shifting up and down too much and also saves the brakes.
    Did I get the GM employee discount? yes. Note, this was before it was made available to the general public. A service loaner? no. SAAB loyalty $750 discount? yes. Some other discounts, dealer cash, etc. we also available. You're right, in general 30% is shooting a little too high.
    i don't recall if you've owned saab before, but if you have, what's your take on the new center stack console controls and instrumentation? i.e., stereo tuner, a/c, readout. what colors are the readouts at night? my old saab was amber and green. also, they put in some harder plastic around the tops of the doors and the top of the dash. I guess that shouldn't make that much of a diff. I drove two other wagons yesterday, the volvo v70 and the passat (both engines.) the only disadvantage i see to the saab is the lack of cubby space up front, the sentronic and xm instead of sirius satellite radio. the volvo would have been perfect but their seats don't quite fit me and the back seat is tight. the vw is a first year release and loaded with an insane amount of electronics which might make me nervous. plus their v6 was noisy as heck. almost liked the 2.0 turbo better, because oddly enough, it reminded me of saab. both have better storage cubbies. (can you tell that's one of my issues?????) ;)
    Well!Thank you for clarifying the details regarding your purchase.....lets keep in mind the GMS price,while fairly liberal in its requirements,does only apply to a small pct.of buyers and prices the car at 5% below invoice.Also the $750.00 loyalty bonus was a one month promotion and hasn't been offered in over a year and a half!So there are significant aspects of your advice to that person which are not applicable to the general public and/or no longer available.
    I think that they axed the sales rep's commission too.
    Good point. Looks like they redesigned center console for the optional Nav. system. I don't see the amber readouts like they have on my '04. Overall the dash still looks similar to the old design. I'll bet it works well in day and night driving, because SAAB is very consciencous about driver friendliness - especially in difficult conditions. But I'd still thoroughly check it out. You never know. I've driven the XC70, and I believe that the SAAB has better performance - acceleration, braking, smoother, etc.. ESC should still be standard. The XC70 also didn't have sport mode for the transmission. It's probably a better car than the VW, since SAABs have pretty much always been that way.
  • zoozeekzoozeek Member Posts: 32
    I have a 2005 9-5 Arc Wagon. I just picked it up from the dealership for the fourth time (in one year) for a recurring problem: there's a "clicking" or "popping" when steering, both felt through the wheel and heard... each time the dealership fixes it, but it comes back... they've changed or re-aligned the steering column, and changed something with the wheels... now, the manager is telling me that other 9-5s have the same problem and there's nothing he can do about it... any advice? has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • katmando90katmando90 Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I test drove a 2004 9-5 Aero 2.3T Wagon. The car only has 22k miles on it, and the drive was great. Carmax is asking just under $25k for it which makes me think it is a steal. Any thoughts? The salesman was unsure if the car had side airbags in back. Does it? Any other thoughts?
  • georgekgeorgek Member Posts: 50
    My 2006 wagon does not have this problem.
  • daliesquedaliesque Member Posts: 3
    I bought a '99 9-5 recently and the "service theft alarm" warning has me a little concerned. This notice has appeared the whole week I've owned the vehicle and I've been ignoring the situation by hitting the CLEAR button. However, as of today a new message appeared on the SID. "weak battery" or "replace alarm battery" something along those lines...Is this problem as easily fixed as simply replacing the alarm/unlock keychain remote battery? Or is this message refering to a different battery? Are my only repercusions if I don't fix this a non effective car alarm?? Please help!
    Neither does my 2004 Aero wagon.
    I don't think that there are any rear seat air bags, but I'll check the owners manual one more time later today. Good luck with it, if you buy it. It's a good decision and she'll be very happy. :) The ARC was probably the best package, as opposed to the Linear and Aero. I've been test driving some other cars, and it's hard to find a vehicle as well designed for every day use as the SAAB 9-5 ARC.
  • kingciekingcie Member Posts: 8
    I had a few questions for anyone out there...my wife and I are considering an '06 Sportcombi wagon, or possibly something else such as a Lexus RX330 ('04) as we need a larger vehicle (have 2 Camry's now). Considered the XC90 ('04), but not too keen on what I saw and heard about transmission problems...Anyway, we have 2 german shepherds, and will likely be starting a family sometime soon as well. I have not driven the Lexus yet, but really like the 9-5 wagon. My wife has concern that the dogs would be in the back, and if we were involved in an accident, there could be a problem, thus her thought about an SUV being better because it would be a little higher...

My first question has to do with safety issues in the back of the car, and how much it would "crumple." The salesman at the Saab dealer obviously says that the car is very safe... but I didn't know if anyone had some other information for me.

Second, wanted to get a couple of opinions on price. There's a local dealer here who is offering '06 wagons at $6500 off list, which would bring it down to about $31, 200. There's another local dealer that has an "executive" car with about 15,000 miles on it, and will sell that, "certified" for about $29,200 (actually $27,660 + certify cost which the salesman told me was around $1500.) I'm really trying not to spend more than $30k or so for a vehicle, and the salesman with the new ones said that he maight be able to do a little better... The reason we're considering the Lexus is because of reliability (Toyota product), and it is bigger than our Camry's (don't like the Highlander because of the seats that are in it), and we don't want to have a ride of a truck (like the 4runner).

Any information on the safety on the Saab would be great, as well as opinions on prices I've found so far on the '06's. Thought on comparing the 2 (Saab wagon vs. Lexus SUV) is also very appreciated, as well as other vehicles to possibly consider. Thanks.
    I've heard more than one story about a Saab saving someone's life, though I have not experienced it myself, and hope I never have to. My bigger concern is you have 2 shepherds and you want to start a family. Roomwise, you're going to have issues with either the RX or the Saab. Babies come with a lot of paraphenalia, and if you're planning on driving with baby and doggies in tow, you'll run out of room quickly. I have one 40 lb. shepherd mix and she used to fit fine in the back of my 02 arc wagon. We could throw a suitcase in back with her, put the baby stuff in the back seat with the baby and use the roof rack for the other big suitcase. But it was tight! Don't think you'll get much more space with the RX, and in fact, I think the back cargo area is smaller than saab. If you won't be traveling with babies and dogs together, then you should be fine. For a lower cost SUV, you might see if you can get a year end deal on a Pilot LX. Tons of room for everybody! If you want a car like ride out of a SUV, can't beat the new Jeeps. Beautiful ride in the Grand Cherokee, I currently drive an 06 and bought it because of the smooth and quiet ride. But again, with 2 shepherds and kids???? You'd have to see. Very safe, affordable, but check out the leather seats...I don't find them very comfortable. Personally, I'm not a fan of Toyota, maybe Lexus is better quality wise, but Toyota (the parent company) is having quality control issues these days so there's no guarantees. I drove an RX last year and didn't like the ride, but comfort wise it was lovely. Best of luck to you. -- Oh and price wise, if you can get a new Saab for around $31K, you're getting a great deal!!!!!!
    Appreciate the info. on size of vehicles. I've looked at, not even driven, the RX330 and could see that the Saab has more room. I have not checked out the Pilot yet, but do need something with good gas mileage, which the Saab has, since my job has me traveling around RI, MA, and CT...

I've gotten a couple of updated prices on '06 Sportcombi wagon, seem to be base model (no extra packages except for auto transmission). Both cars had prices of about $37,700 or so... For the exec. demo car with 15k miles, the dealer is still at $27660 + 1495 to certify it, and 199 doc fees. The other dealer with the new '06 has it now at $30470 with $204 for doc fees. Since I do alot of driving for work, my question to anyone out there is in relation to the warranty, and really which would be better. The "certified" car would have the full warranty until 100k miles/6 years, and new for the '06 is the 4 yr/50k. Is it worth the extra money to get the new one with less warranty, or just go with the certified exec. car...I do about 20-22,000 miles per year, and will surpass the 50k in about 2 years. I'm thinking that the exec car is the one to go with (85k left on warranty), but would still like to hear from anyone who wants to share their 2 cents worth. Thanks.
    Check out the SAAB pet products at http://www.stateofnine.com/page/stateofnine/CTGY/P
    It seems like you should at least go with the 9-5 SportCombi, if you're planning on scooting the wife, kids and dogs around in the car. Don't know much about certified vehicles, but I don't think that I'd pay $1,495 to cert. a car. Either it's certified or not. The dealer should have the records. Another thing about SAABs is that they only service the car every 15K miles. That means that the demo has probably only had the engine oil changed once or maybe twice. They are supposed to change it at an initial 30 day service too. I'd go for a new one - the 9-5 Sport Combi Wagon. If you want functionality, fuel economy, great performance, easy maintenance and reliability - it's the way to go. ;)
    Yeah, I'd go with the new one. Bcool is right, either they're certified or not before they put them up for sale. If it's not already certified, I'd wonder why??? You're only paying roughly $2000 more for the brand new one and getting 15,000 more miles out of it. Warranty or not, once a car gets up around 80K miles, it starts needing lots of things, more time in the shop, etc. I doubt the extended warranty will cover everything. Go new and good luck!
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Go with the new. Not enough differential in price not to. I have bought a number of demos in the past and usually expect and get 4-8k less in price - minimum depending on how close to year end and how many miles.
    I appreciate the information everyone has shared. I'm leaning toward the new one as well, ... Will be making a decision very soon, and seeing if the dealer will go any lower, the $30470 seems like a very good price, but we'll see.
    O.K...Where to begin.First off,the new car has 4 yrs./50K. bumper to bumper.The Executive car has either the balance of the original 4yr./50k. OR if you choose to have it certified it has a TOTAL coverage of 6yrs./100k.from original warranty date.The comment regarding costs,warranty or not at 80k.,are wrong ...thats what the 6yr./80k. warranty is covering!As to Bcool's comment on oil changes....No,Saab's maintenance schedule is once every 12 mos.or 10,000 miles ,whichever comes first.Mobil One full synthetic is used in all Saabs,there is no 30 day oil change needed or part of the schedule.
    As to which car is the better choice,based on how fast you rack up mileage I think the Executive car w/certification is the better way to go.
    Well, after leaving saab and going the suv route just 3 months ago, I'm back in a new 06 9-5 wagon and pretty darn happy about it. I so missed those comfy seats, even if this one doesn't have the ventilated ones, and my HK stereo. Hopefully it will be relatively trouble-free. This one is smoke beige with the visability pkg. (like Saabs need better visability, but it's just what came on this one.) Didn't have roof rails on this one, so I'm ordering the alternative roof rack for sportcombi's w/out the rails -- don't know how that will work, but we'll see. Plus I'm getting the back windows tinted this time -- my son will like that. Got $5000 off invoice at Santa Ana Saab in California. Hopefully my sale will help prop Saab up a fraction of a second longer ; )
    Congratulations. Good luck with it. I got the windows on my Aero Wagon tinted also. Santa Ana SAAB had a company come in to do it. Got the rear ones medium and the front ones a lighter tint. It was only a little extra for the fronts. Well the car stay's nice and cool, and looks a lot better.
    Did you go for the new Saab yet? Having just traded my Jeep for a new 9-5 wagon (06), I can tell you I didn't get it for $31 K even with $5000 off invoice. You're getting a screaming deal if you take it! Let us know what you choose.
  • sidvsidv Member Posts: 64
    Considering an '07 9-5 SportCombi to replace my '04 9-3 Arc sedan and was just curious if there's much in the way of road/tire noise from the 9-5 SportCombi-I've read some criticism about the 9-5 generally in this area and frequently wagons are worse here than their sedan counterparts. Just wondering what people think about this.

Also, if anyone else has moved from a current generation 9-3 to a current 9-5 I'd love to hear what they liked or didn't like about the switch.
    Just take it on the freeway and judge for yourself. My old arc wagon had a lot of road noise. My new one doesn't seem as noisy. This one has the 17 " wheels, my old had 16", don't know if that helps or hinders. Also, my old wagon had roof rails, my new one doesn't. Saabs aren't generally known for their quietness, but you need to the judge -- just get it out on the open road, tell the salesman to shut up and drive. Also, drive with the windows/sunroof closed, open, etc. (except the rear windows will do the "wooba wooba" thing, but most cars do.) I drove one that had a horrible squeal coming off the front windows when they were open at cruising speed, so I went with a different one and it's fine. Good luck.
    Have not done it yet. The dealer sold the one I had my eye on, but has another one (Blue) with Sport package. MSRP is a little higher, $38815 I believe, and is the last '06 they have. They're offering $9k off sticker, so I'm waiting to see what the internet salesperson will offer me for my car in trade...
    My God, where do you live that they are offering $9K off sticker? I got a measly $5k off invoice. Good but not great, but then I don't have energy or the patience to haggle. There aren't many 06's left on the planet, good luck to you! :) ">
  • rs9904rs9904 Member Posts: 15
    One day with my new 9-5 sportcombi. Parchment Silver, auto, roof rails. Also have a 04 9-3 and traded in my 99 9-3 with 99,500 reliable fun miles.

New car is large inside but not real big on the outside. Very smooth ride. Good fuel economy on the computer with only 55 miles on the SID. Power is excellent. More luggage capacity, fuel economy and power than it's competitors. I am happy.

anthony
    Congrats Anthony. I test drove a 9-5 2.3T SportCombi this evening and am leaning toward it vs a 9-3 Aero SportCombi but it's a tough call. I have an 04 9-3 now as well so I like to hear someone with experience with both cars happy with the 9-5.
    Thanks for the advice. I test drove one tonight without the roof rails and it wasn't noisy but then the freeway wasn't close enough to get to from that dealer. The car seemed fairly quiet, certainly engine noise isn't a problem. Forgot to open the windows though, I'll need to get another test in before committing I guess.
    Don't know where everyone went but I guess I'll talk to myself. Took delivery of a new 9-5 2.3T SC a little over a month ago and overall am quite happy with it but have already had a couple of issues. Remote key fob had to be replaced but still the keyless entry system gets confused and inoperative for short periods. Not bad enough to bother going to the dealer for yet another time. Much worse, the check engine light went on the first week and car began driving poorly. This was fairly quickly rectified and so far the dealer has been very good.

Other than that, I like the car itself quite a bit, the engine at cold idle could be smoother considering what it costs and the stereo is just so-so, but those are really my only complaints. The brake pedal has taken some getting used to-more effort required than other cars I've recently had but it's become second nature by now.

I've found it to be a very comfortable, roomy, practical yet fun car with a great balance between utility and sport. Very little turbo lag, especially compared to my previous 9-3 2.0T. It is an excellent highway car for comfortable longer trips and has unique looks which I happen to really like.
  • rs9904rs9904 Member Posts: 15
    I check here often but it seems that most Saab owners are on more specific Saab only sites rather than Edmunds. I am not a fan of these very specific forums that Edmunds has created. I liked the larger more inclusive format better.

My car has been very reliable so far (only 1700 miles.) I agree cold idle is a bit rough. Brake pedal I have gotten used to as well (Had 99 9-3 wife has 04 Linear.)I think that the stereo is fantastic with very good sound and easy use.

Gas is great on highway 30+ and city 20+. Tranny is smooth, seats comfy so far, and is easy to load when using hatch area. Just got windows tinted on my 06 Sportcombi (Parchment Silver) and it looks great as well. Wheels are very nice with much reduced brake dust. Overall I am pleased so far and planto keep well over 10 years.

Anthony
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, we've got the "larger, more inclusive formats" right here in this 9-5 group... :confuse:
    I think maybe what he means is that there are 7 sub-forums under the 9-5 alone and no single 9-5 forum that encompasses all 9-5 related subjects.
    Took delivery of my '06 9-5 sedan in late March of 2006.Had cold start,rough idle problem initially.My service manager gave me a can of some sort of injector cleaner and that was the last of the problem!Coming up on 9,000 miles of zero problems otherwise.
  • uzumakiuzumaki Member Posts: 1
    I also have '06 9-5 sedan. Purchased as a demo, now have 8,000 + miles. Very slight rough idle at cold start, but it's gone in 30 seconds. IMO, the 2.3T has more "roughness" to it than many V6's with the same power - but I really like the character of it. I had a loaner Acura TL and the engine was as smooth as butter - and about exciting as a stick of butter too! I was bored by the end of the day.

For the record, I also have zero problems to report for the 9-5!