Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• cheezeweezlecheezeweezle Member Posts: 3
    Sounds good!...I have the tweeter kit in mine..doesn't make a big difference in sound but I think it is noticeable. The 19.5k includes the leather seats and side panels too?....If so go for it!
  • csvipersahcsvipersah Member Posts: 15
    Does the outback sport have side airbags?
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    No, only in the WRX sedan and wagon.

Stephen
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    You know, I lost my subscription a while back, maybe Ramon did too? Anyone have his e-mail to ask him?

-juice
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I finally test drove the Mazda P5 and Subaru OBS, both auto. I now drive a 2.5 auto LeBaron covertible and a Saturn SL2. Both cars have good pickup. The 91 Saturn has very strong pickup.

I was somewhat disappointed with the P5. Apparently it's mostly show and no go. Not enough passing power on the highway. The steering wheel was too small for my liking. The steering was too tight for me as well. Nice otherwise.

Next stop, Pontiac in Wantagh, NY. "You need an appointment for a test drive with the Vibe" Guess where they can go jump into. I guess it doesn't matter anyway because the engine is probably too weak, the steering wheel is too close to the dash (I am not going to drive with my arms stretched out) and last but not least, the mirrors do not fold (I'm tired of bumping into my mirrors in the garage or having them broken off). And I could do without the hoaky dash. Otherwise I really like the Vibe with it's great plastic covered cargo area and it's unpainted bumpers that will not scratch.

Last stop.. Subaru in Hicksville. OBS, auto. This car has a real engine. There is a little lull in acceleration, but better than the Mazda. The car "feels" sturdier as well. The steering wheel was the right size, and steering felt right and the car rode nicely. The seat material which I previously thought ugly maybe not so bad after all. I like this car the most even though I wish MPG was better and no side airbags.

I will wait till June to see if they will offer side airbags and to see the new Forester as well. I also noticed on the Japan website that the Impreza has a sunroof (maybe in 2003?)!

Also, why don't they offer reasonable financing for this car... don't they want me to buy it?
    "Also, why don't they offer reasonable financing for this car... don't they want me to buy it?"

How about trying your own bank or credit union??
    Just a curious thought... :-)

Stephen
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    I wouldn't say the Protege5 has no power. It has very good power from 0 to 30 or 40 m.p.h. There's no question it runs out of fire after that, but it seemed to be workable for highway situations when I test drove mine along bustling I-75.

I''m weighing the P5 and Outback Sport also. My bottom line: I like the performance of the Subaru and the interior of the Mazda.

I'm leaning toward P5 because for me, the interior of the Outback Sport is pretty awful. Not the seats or materials, but the cupholder situation is ridiculous, the steering wheel has a rail-thin and hard feel to it (it's also too big) and to top it all off the stock stereo is absolutely awful. I know you can replace as soon as you buy, but if I get the Mazda I won't even have to.

One bonus of Outback though: For most insurers they have lower rates, even though the engine is more powerful.
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I agree the Impreza steering wheel is too big, but for $35 you can add a nice leather steering wheel cover which'll make it feel softer and thicker. I'm sure there are workarounds for the cupholders as well. No way would I sacrifice the AWD for that stuff.
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    so.... a bank or credit union is going to offer reasonable new car loan rates? They're usually at least 8%. Subaru is offering low financing on all cars but Impreza.

And if a car runs out of fire after 40 mph... what good are the low profile tires, ground effects... etc? Why should I spend $18,000 on a car that lacks power when I already have a paid- for car (SL2) that gets 35 mpg and has better pick-up? I want something as good as or better than what I have.
    7%. I've seen many new car deals at 6.9, 5.9, 4.9 and 3.9%. Banks don't normally go that low. Search and ye shall find. :-) Besides, if you already have financing before you go to the dealer then your in a much stronger bargaining position.

Stephen
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Try a different dealer. Most dealers offer tons of financing.

-mike
  • limpyboylimpyboy Member Posts: 26
    I locked in last week on a 48-month loan at 5.5 percent with my credit union!!

I joined about seven months ago because my big bank was eating me alive with fees and I never got the feeling they care about my account like I do with the CU.

But still, the 2.9 and 3.9 offers by some companies is great if you can qualify.

BTW, grrrrrrrr. Now y'all have me rethinking my Protege5 decision.
    All show, no go. I like the looks of it, but:

1) Wrong Wheel Drive
    2) Needs more OOOmph.

-mike
  • krgoldmankrgoldman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2001 Outback Limited Wagon. Ever since I got the car (about 10 months), I have felt that it has unacceptably high wind noise from the driver's side window (in the vicinity of the sideview mirror). The dealer has tried to work on it (3 times), but the noise either was not fixed, or came back after a short time. We don't notice this on the passenger side at all. Has anyone else had this problem? Been able to correct it. I will be meeting with the Subaru rep on Wednesday, so any input would be appreciated.
    Folding the mirror in? A lot of cars suffer from drivers side wind noise from the mirror due to it being at a different angle than the passenger one.

-mike
    I put a nice leather covering on my Forester's steering wheel. It's thick and looks great. I got it at a Toyota dealer, of all places, when I bought my last car, in 1991. Still looks brand new!

My Credit Union offers 6.9% up to 5 years. Check yours out.

I like the P5 and the OBS. The P5 is styled nicely and is fun, but I wished for more power (MP3 has 140hp, P5 has just 130hp) and AWD. At least there isn't much torque steer.

-juice
    of course it's a hard decision! But I see the OBS has an advantage over every other car in its class: either its AWD (p5), or its HP/Torque (Matrix), or its handling (mini-SUVs). Of course there are disadvantages, the exterior/interior is uninspiring and the p5 is prettier and has 4 discs, but the OBS best met what I wanted. Also remember everyone on this board is biased. I doubt anyone on the P5 board would have bought an OBS.

The test drive was a waste of time for me. When I brought my car home it took me a while to get used to it because it felt so different from everything else I had driven (old cars). Now it's such a pleasure.
    Actually, some P5 buyers cross-shopped the OBS, too. Usually it's close and they are almost looking for a tie-breaking reason to get one or the other.

Subaru's warranty is longer and it has AWD and more power. The P5 is cuter and has rear disc brakes. Pick your preference.

-juice
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I had the same difficult decision 5 weeks ago but got the Subie for the AWD, the power/torque and the handling. The P5 is arguably prettier. I felt the P5 felt "lighter" at speeds over 100 kms (62 mph)and not as connected to the road surface. P5 slightly cheaper also but Subie won and I am very pleased with it so far. If your area has difficult weather (snow, ice, sleet, etc), the Subie AWD is a no-brainer. Good luck!
    doesn't AWD help in the rain, too?
    Rain is included in the "etc" - didn't you know that?
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    When I looked at one a the mall it seemed smaller inside than the OBS and the interior seemed kinda cheap to me. So did the body.
    AWD helps all the time, even in the dry it reduces the amount of understeer, and eliminates torque steer completely. It also puts less of a burden on the driving wheels, since the job is being divided by four, not two.

Note that in the BTCC AWD was banned for being an unfair advantage - on dry pavement!

-juice
  • mod7mod7 Member Posts: 13
    I have my 2002 OBS for 6 months and have run into my first technical problem.
    A few nights ago I was driving along and the Gas Gauge suddenly read empty and the low gas warning light went on even though I know that I had plenty of gas.

After a little while the gas gauge corrected itself and read 3/4 full. This morning I turned on the car and once again the gas gauge reads empty and the warning light was on but this time the
    CHECK ENGINE light was on also. Once again I know I have gas in the car.

I called my dealer and he said he has heard others customers talking about this same problem and that something is too sensitive on my car.

I always make sure my gas cap is on tight--I even make sure it clicks twice when I close it.

They said I could continue to drive the car with the CHECK ENGINE light on ( I need the car for work). They said I should bring it in on Tuesday and they will check it out.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? Thanks MOD7
  • bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    My Subaru dealer was selling a P5. I asked them what the heck a Mazda was doing out there (other than the used Miata's that my dealer sells every spring/summer).
    They said that a Mazda dealer traded it in for a demo WRX to sell as a used car. :-)

-Dennis
    As long as the CEL is not blinking, keep driving it until you can make an appointment that fits your schedule. It's probably a bad sender or something near the fuel tank (which is under the rear seat, IIRC).

Meanwhile, I suggest you use the trip odometer to measure miles between fill ups. You can probably go 300 miles without running out of gas.

Keep us posted.

-juice
  • eliebe98eliebe98 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying these cars. I love the 5 speed WRX but my wife can only drive an automatic. Is the WRX in automatic worth the extra money, or should I just get the Outback Sport?
    and decide. The WRX is all about the drive regardless of the transmission choice. I personally feel the WRX is worth the extra over the OBS. Nothing against the OBS and more about the WRX...it's all that and a bag of chips! :-)

Stephen
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Yes, the WRX is about the "drive," but the OBS is about "value and utility."

If you're not a performance nut, IMO, the OBS is the better choice. It's much cheaper (to buy and insure), and you get more "functional" items as standard (roof rack cross rails, rear bumper step pad, rear cargo tray, ambient temp gauge). Also, the OBS engine is more "load-friendly" because of its more linear powerband. Finally, it also runs on regular gas.

Bob
    IMO the torquey, flexible 2.5l engine is better suited to an automatic. If you said manual I would reverse my preference.

-juice
    The OBS has a softer suspension than the WRX but it is still fun to drive. You're probably spoiled by the 5sp WRX tho. Is your wife that against learning a manual? I learned on an '87 Honda less than 2 years ago and in my limited experience, today's manuals are so much easier to drive.
  • gotwrxgotwrx Member Posts: 52
    a little late but here's a couple of threads from i-club that might be of interest to you

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=118475&highlight=mirror+windnoise

http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=42965&highlight=mirror+windnoise

A suggested solution:
    "Fold the mirror in and put some weather stripping along the fold.

Once you unfold it, the stripping should disrupt the wind flow and windnoise. Making it all better."

Nice pics of the new OBS and old in the "Calling All Wagons" thread over on i-club! I thought I recognized the pic of the black beauty. :-) It's nice to see something other than a WRX.

Stephen
    I take exception to the WRX only being about "drive". The WRX wagon is just as much about value and utility as the OBS. Value and utility is why I bought the WRX.

The real difference the OBS brings is slightly more off road capability, more resilient paint on the lower body (at the cost of having two tone), the words "Outback Sport" on the side (a serious non selling point according to my wife) and the outside thermometer thingy. Its a "Fun Outdoor Lifestyle" car which is fine. We all need a bit of that.

The WRX adds a turbo, better brakes, better handling, better AWD system, better audio system, side air bags, better seats, better interior appointments, (no two tone paint or embarassing words) and remote locking is standard. These are all useful when driving. In wagon form it has the same utility as the OBS minus the rear floor mat and cross rails (~$200).

I like the OBS alot and, but for the WRX, I would have bought one. The reason I chose (rationalized) the WRX is that I spend 98% of my time on reasonable roads and I can enjoy the Turbo anytime I drive. I love the idea of the extra off road capbility of the OBS but it would only be valuable to me 2% or less of the time I drive and then it would only be marginally better than the WRX.

Now is the turbo alone really worth the extra? Of course not! No one needs to go 0 to 60 in < 6 seconds or buy premium gas but that's not the point. It's a blast!

On the performance nut thing, I definately wasn't one before I bought the WRX (17 years driving a Honda civic - the same one! - now there's value) but the WRX is rotting my brain. So be warned! If you get one you might become slightly crazed too! That alone might be the best reason to stick with the OBS!

Personally I wouldn't buy either car with an automatic but then I'm biased. Best thing to do is get someone to teach your wife to drive a manual assuming that is her only objection. Say you'd like her to learn as your bithday present. My wife learned when we got the Civic and loved it.

Assuming that is not an option, I haven't read a bad word from any WRX owners that bought the auto. They all seem to love it. So I would base my decision on maximizing the fun/utility you are going to get from the car rather than the transmission alone.

Other factors are that the turbo will wear out sooner and be more expensive to fix that the OBS which makes the OBS a far more sensible choice.

Tim
    Also the OBS can tow better, and has more low-end grunt than the WRX does.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Even though the WRX is listed at a 2000 pound tow limit, and unlike other Imprezas, SOA does NOT offer a tow kit for this car. So that must tell you something about SOA's confidence in its ability to tow.

Again, if performance is not at the top of your *wants* list, the OBS is in many ways a better choice, IMO&#151;especially for the money.

Bob
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    I was doing a search to see if I could remember that "Calling All Wagons" thread you mentioned but the search function was down. Did I put a picture of both OBS's I've owned? I know I did yesterday in the Tire/Wheel forum about some Enkei's someone was mentioning.

Here's one thought I have regarding WRX vs. OBS: you can do with the OBS what some old school Rally Sport owners have been doing with their 2.5 liter engines: add a turbo with the money you save on the difference between the two cars. The beauty in this is that you have both low end and high end power.

I'm toying with doing this at some point, especially if there's a way to do it without a hood scoop, just in order to make it look completely stock.

You can take off the sticky letters on the side, which I will do as soon as I can coax up a free afternoon.

The rear bumper step guard is nice to have. I talked to a WRX owner at a club meet the other day who is getting one for her WRX wagon to protect it since her dogs get in and out of the back end.

It's also nice to just buy regular gas especially now when gas prices are going way up again.

However I did ride in a WRX and they are undoubtedly a little rocket!
    from what I read they didn't make it an explicit option since they didn't think there would be much demand. The OE Impresa tow bar fits the WRX. The only issue is that the car is not pre-wired for it. The tow bar has a 1.25 inch reciever btw.

I agree the OBS would probably tow better, especially with the auto gear box, but neither is exactly the ideal car for towing, especially long distances. If you tow alot I'd look elsewhere. If you need to occasionally tow something small across town or to a local lake I'm sure either car will do it fine. I am considering getting a tow bar for mine since I have a small sailing dingy. It would just be more sensible to put it on our Camry station wagon....but I want to drive the WRX....sickness.

Tim
    PS: Performance doesn't have to "top of your list" you just have to like the idea enough to pay extra. Rationalise the cost because of the side air bags. Very sensible.
    ..shift in post 1683 above reminded me that my wife drove my month-old 5 spd. TS on Friday for the first time, and her comment was "I like it lots but I seem to be over the speed limit in it always". I think that that was a real positive statement!! Not that the auto would be any different; the stick is just more fun IMO.

Rick
    Ode to Subymomma:

Page 16, posted 4/11
    http://www.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=136817

Stephen :-)
  • twrxtwrx Member Posts: 647
    I think the difference is blurry. As to "offroad" capability, the OBS has 6.5" ground clearance vs. 6.1 for the WRX. Don't think either would be too good on jeep roads in Colorado without low range. As to the "drive", although the WRX way out acelerates the OBS, this years OBS now rides on the same wheel and tire combo as the WRX so it too should be a blast in the curves. Having owned a Forester with the 2.5 engine and now owning a WRX with the turbo here are some observations: the WRX's perfornmance is breathtaking, stunning, outrageous. The rush from this thing is not like anything I have ever owned before in my life. Don't worry I am sure that the OBS is fast too. When my Forester hit the streets in '98 the rave from the reviewers was how much better the acceleration performance was than any of the other small sport utes. So the OBS has the same weight vs HP that my Forester had. My Forester was a blast to drive fast. Freeway merging, lane changing, and passing were great in that car.

So why did I get a WRX? I wanted to own the most outrageous car on the road and I still needed a wagon. Also I like my tunes on the road so the disc changer was a selling point. So were the side airbags, rear discs, momo wheel, sport seats and lsd. I optioned on the rear bumper pad and cargo tray for less than $100. I don't miss roof crossbars, never used them on my Forester. The thing I miss the most from a Forester/OBS is the rear power outlet. My ideal WRX wagon would have that and a sunroof added.

Oh yes, did I mention how cool the hood scoop for the intercooler looks? hehe

I think that the major point is money though. There is a $5k difference. The OBS with the larger engine and larger wheels compared to last generation should be a major improvment from the last generation. For $18k where can you get a wagon with that kind of acceleration and handling? If you don't have $24K for a WRX and cost of gas, insurance and licensing is a problem then don't pass the OBS for another brand of wagon.

TWRX
    The increased low end torque should make the OBS be better mannered offroad or on bad roads than the WRX. I don't think the very noticable turbo power curve would be too helpful in those situations.

In theory, the "heavy duty suspension" vs the "sport tuned suspension" also contibutes though it hard to judge the difference from afar.

The thicker lower body paint is another factor as is the more practical interior fabric. The WRX fabric seems a bit high maintenance being embroidered and a lint trap. There's a lot of lint off road I hear:)

The OBS is definatly not a true offroad vehicle but it is definately a bit more rugged than the WRX imo. Maybe I'm just suckered by the marketing.

Tim
    Yes...you are, but that's ok, most of us are to some degree or marketing wouldn't be so necessary. :-)

To those concerned:
    BTW, crossbars are available for the WRX wagon at the dealer or any place that sells Yahama products since this is who makes them for Subaru. I ended up getting a much better locking set of crossbars from Yahama for almost the same price as the dealer was asking. :-)
    But those round ones don't look as cool as the OE ones and I think you can only get those from an authorized Subaru dealer.

A lot of the after market stuff fits the OE rails but the round ones (or square if you get Thule) are definitely more versatile.

Tim
    PS: Us WRX folks should probably sneak off to our own thread now you've let the cat out of the bag about the marketing thing:)
  • lark6lark6 Member Posts: 2,565
    Yakima round bars are more versatile than the OEM ones but they're noisier. Fortunately you can buy plastic clip-on airfoils that reduce the wind noise.

Ed
    but watch out. The problem I have is that while the WRX is nominally my car my wife keeps wanting to borrow it! Oh well maybe next year i can buy a STI so she can drive he WRX all she wants....Well I can dream can't I.

One speculation about the automatic. I hear its "adaptive" which seems like a problem if you have two drivers with differnt styles. I'm a bit dubious about the whole thing. The WRX auto drivers here seem fairly rabid that its great but then WRX drivers seem to be in love with their cars. Any OBS/TS drivers care to comment?
    Think Stephen is a bit of an audiophile so I'm sure he got the Yamaha :)

Tim
    Bev is a pretty good 5 spd driver - her very 1st car was a Mini Cooper (std. of course) and I mean the original Mini - not the new one! She just prefers the auto (Solara coupe) now - phew!!

Open question to any one who can help. My TS (in Canada) comes without the roof rails. I am considering getting them added (not the cross-bars - just the rails). I seem to recall some talk of wind noise from the rails? or cross-bars? Can anyone clarify for me please, before I go do it. Thanks.

Rick
    yeah, I meant Yakima...must have been a Freudian slip.. :-)

Stephen
    I learned to drive in a mini. My mum had one of the early ones - a 1959 I think. Not a Cooper tho. Great little cars.

I haven't noticed any wind noise from my rails and OE cross rails on my WRX so I think you'll be ok.

I've only heard of the problems like that with the yakima/thule cross bars and it is, apparently, fixable.

Tim
This discussion has been closed.