Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    The Forester, Outback, and Outback Sport are all pre-wired, so the harness for the tow hitch plugs right in. IMO this is a huge bonus if you plan to tow and will install the hitch yourself (like I did). Do you really want to splice wires and risk screwing up the electricals? Not me.

I'm not saying you can't tow with a WRX, but I'd leave the hitch installation to a pro.

What's amazing is the flexibility of this vehicle. You have people comparing the OBS to RAV4s, while WRX wagons are test driven after Audi S4 Avants. What other car has that kind of reach in terms of competition?

-juice
  • Options
    celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    thanks for posting that link. I had no idea it had gone to that many pages! Do you see many 2002 Imprezas in Ireland? Where I live I'm probably the only 2002 OBS in all of Central Florida, however almost every day a see a WRX sedan. There are alot of those out there. People complain about the two tone, but except for the WRX wagon in blue, I think the two tone really adds something to the wagon that seems to lack in just one color on the WRX wagon.
  • Options
    barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    I don't live in Ireland, I just changed the city name in my profile so that I could get an Irish flag by my name to reflect the majority of my heritage. I actually live in Seattle where I see a ton o'Soobies everyday. :-) I actually post a lot in the i-club NW chapter. Here's a two-week old pic of my car:

I also like the 2-tone on the current OBS. It's well done and not too garish. The secondary color is a lot more pleasing to the eye than the greyish color that was used prior.

Stephen
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Hi Folks - Interesting Town Hall Subaru chat, this evening (18 April), for both Subaru Owners and non-Subaru owners. Rick Rhoades, Subaru of America Technical Service Instructor, and Pete Eike, Subaru National Fixed Operations Training Manager will discuss all aspects of maintaining your vehicle, including which areas need attention prior to making those long trips.

If you are around at 6-7 pm Pacific Time or 9-10 ET please join us. And don't forget to fill out the interesting survey in the Chat area as well. Here's the link: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/subarumaintenancechat041802.html

Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Station Wagons Boards
  • Options
    Nice car. If you lived in Florida you'd have to get those windows tinted dark like mine!! Silver looks pretty cool with dark tint too!!! Some get that reflective tint on the silver wagon, which looks even better IMO.

Here's a little I-Club member showing off how the exhaust sounds on his dad's WRX wagon:

• Options
    Yeah, tinting is on my list. Of course, living in Seattle as opposed to Florida kept the tinting a little lower on my list, LOL!

Stephen
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    yet, in the two weeks I was in FL I saw 3 2002 OBSes, including yours!

BTW did you get your goodies installed yet?
  • Options
    Stephen: Did you see the pic of that little guy I inserted?

Caroline: No I didn't order the sway bar yet. Soon, though.

However I did switch to synthetic motor oil yesterday, Mobil 1. The engine just seems to run even quiter and smoother. It will be interesting to see if the gas mileage goes up a little, too!

Oh yes, I did get the mudflaps yesterday and they are on now. Really look soooo nice and molded on!
  • Options
    Great pic! We get em' into Subarus early, don't we? :-)

Here's a pic of my latest (and I might add, most important) mod!
    Say hello to Mr.Mahoney. He loves bellying up to the bar...Cusco strut bar, that is.

Stephen :-)
  • Options
    99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    How do you like the strut? Jack
  • Options
    There's one for sale at the Yahoo Outback Sport Club, a nice lookin' white 98, really sweet, nice wheels, around $12,000. San Francisco area. Pass it on if there's anyone you know interested.

Stephen, that monkey looks like he's in shock. I think you scared the poor little critter with some wild driving!

This white Legacy is my older son's car. You can see his feet in the sandals, younger son is in the Subie shirt. He just put on a Weapon-R intake, full Borla exhaust with headers and everything, and an underdrive pulley. Also just put on new tires. I got to drive it yesterday--yeeehaw! Shifted up thru the gears hard and had it up over 60 in no time at all, son!! Really fast but feels smooth and refined... (my car is just barely in the picture to the left)

I took off the Outback Sport stickers on the side today and was relatively easy, the goopy stuff was aggravating to get off but it's all done and shined up now!
  • Options
    Bob - you looking for a car for your daughter? Or were you going to buy new.

Nice fleet, celeste.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    is just a wee bit too far away...

Bob
  • Options
    gotwrxgotwrx Member Posts: 52
    I've heard they really help with cornering.

Celeste: Glad my wife didn't know you could do that or she might not have let me get the WRX. Sorry If I annoyed you with the comment about he two tone paint a few post back. Actually it was red two tone outback sport that first caught my eye impreza wise. Think I prefered the previous full lower body look than the new "wheel well spats" look but they look cool whatever imo.

tim
  • Options
    Glad my wife didn't know you could do that or she might not have let me get the WRX :-)

Sorry If I annoyed you with the comment about he two tone paint a few post back. Actually it was red two tone outback sport that first caught my eye impreza wise. Think I prefered the previous "full lower body" look than the new "wheel well spats" look but they are cool any way imo.

tim
  • Options
  • Options
    You mean about removing the stickers?

I have entertained thoughts about removing those wheel well "spats" but I think they are more than just stickers and would take some body work, it seems the black paint is on top of them so I won't mess with that now. But who knows, maybe in the future?????
  • Options
    "Spats" are paint I think. Wouldn't try to remove them unless you know a good paint shop.

Tim
  • Options
    rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    I got my Midnight Black Pearl 5 spd. TS on March 8 and now have about 3300 kms on it. It is feeling better every day and has loosened up nicely. It is going tomorrow for a change of oil/filter to remove the "break-in" oil (not required by warranty, but dealer & I think it's a good idea). I enjoy the car a lot and am pleased to be shifting again after the auto. in the 4Runner. Did a quick down and back to Vancouver on last Saturday (780 kms or about 475 mi round trip); the TS was comfortable, easy to drive and strong over the two mountain passes enroute. Initially, I thought the '02 Impreza looks a bit "odd", but have really found the styling grows on you. No problems (touch wood) and love the car.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Glad you're happy with your TS!

Just an FYI, Subaru's don't use break-in oil. No, it can't hurt to change it though.

-Dennis
  • Options
    ..it's not "break-in" oil; I just meant I changed the oil/filter at just over 3000 kms as a precaution. I know it's just regular oil. The whole thing may be over-cautious but I feel like oil changes are never a bad idea (within reason - I'm not on an oil co's payroll!!). Incidently, averaged 32 MPG (Canadian gals) or about 25.6 MPG on U.S. gals on my Vancouver trip with 3 people on board and stuff.

Rick
  • Options
    IIRC Darlene had told us it was basic Havoline oil from the factory.

-juice
  • Options
    the other day I saw a yellowjacket squeeze in between my door panels. I figured it would soon die in the heat of a locked up car. Yesterday I did a bee check and there was the live bee and her? nest in my door jamb. Ewwwww. I found another nest in my hatch jamb. (Haven't been driving much!)
  • Options
    Holy Cow! Time for a car wash.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    Lucky you're not in Florida. Honeybees are protected here and you cannot exterminate them. However, if they're yellowjackets it's a different subject.

Have some empathy for the poor little suckers. They know they only have about 5 more months to do their thing and you gotta give em' credit for trying!

Instead of a trunk monkey, I guess you'll have some trunk honey????
  • Options
    I've heard of rats loving the taste of our spark plug wires, but this is news to me!

I guess Subarus have a special animal magnetism.

-juice
  • Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    had underhood wires on his Mazda 929 eaten by mice.

Bob
  • Options
    Same supplier? ;-)

-juice
  • Options
    I knew I could count on juice for a bad pun ;)
  • Options
    Animal magnetism... you got dat right brutha!
  • Options
    airbusguyairbusguy Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Just joined this group...if TS owners could enlighten me what sort of real life gas mil. you're getting on a full tank. How much is your full tank in Canadian dollars? And what's the average maximum km you get on a full tank?

I like to compare on my current 4 banger protege '97 which incidently I just filled up at 69.9 cents/litre for 368.5 km for $27/- for around 38 litres (almost empty to full). Thus I'm getting approx 9.8 L/100 km. in mix driving. If I really push it, at max I get almost 375 - 380 km mix. Pure HWY I can push it to around 515 km on a full tank. Thanks for any info...

San-
  • Options
    I have a new TS with about 3600 kms on it now. Just got in March '02. I did a quick down/back Kelowna/Vancouver recently with 3 persons on board and averaged 32 MPG (old method using Imperial gals). I was not totally empty when I refilled but had about 485 km on the trip odo. I assume could get 550 kms or so on tank on hiway easy. Around town and mixed use, obviously less. I recall about 26 MPG for all in-town on one other check I did. The Subie 2.5 engine probably going to cost you more than the '97 Protege (I had a '94 Protege so am familiar with its mileage, but then I only had 102 hp and less weight). Gas here for regular is 72.9 and I only use reg. in the TS. Hope this helps you.
  • Options
    The new one is a 2.5l and weighs a little more. You'll probably give up 1-2 mpg is my guess.

Given you're asking about the mpg, I'd recommend the OBS. A WRX will tempt you to push it, and in those cases some people can't even break 20mpg, and yes premium is required.

Also check out the new Forester, in dealers now, and the Legacy GT.

-juice
  • Options
  • Options
    mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
  • Options
    heatherbeanheatherbean Member Posts: 82
    He said no. A big NO! No OBS in my furture. Whaa!
    I will remember the one I had for 5 years and loved today.
    Heather
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Heather-
    That big 'NO!' could go his way too.
    ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    heatherbeanheatherbean Member Posts: 82
    I drove a WRX for the 4th time. Still no thrill. I drove the Aspen White 2002 OBS and LOVE it! My huband loves it too. It is perfect and only $17,800. The problem is we just bought the L.L. Bean 6 weeks ago and the Outback 1 year ago! We can get a good trade-in value for the Outback manual, to make the payments the same for 3 years. But we'd loose the room and the depreciation value is much better with the Legacy's then Impreza's. He does agrees it has a MUCH BETTER road feel and a fun-factor that the Legacy's Outbacks will never have. He really likes it and that surprised me. I'd have to trade-in his car he only had for 12 months since we owe more on the Bean the we can get for it for sure. What to do?! That 2.5 engine is perfect for that 3,050 pound car. It is a bit too small for the 3,500 pound Outback though.
    Time will tell. Wish me luck.
    Heather
  • Options
    Boo on him. :-(

Maybe the OBS is the adorable Terrier you attach to right away, while the LL Bean is the wise Afghan Hound that is an acquired taste.

I still say the LL Bean is fantabulous. Give it time and you'll fall in love with it, too.

-juice
  • Options
    ..on this and other Subaru threads. Try not to worry too much about what you are going through at present, as I am sure most of the rest of us "car-lovers" have had similar stories. If it will cheer you up any, I can relate one such story from 1972 when I had a really neat 1970 BMW 2002 in Euro. spec. I added a Stebro exhaust system and promptly got a "noise" ticket. So, instead of just choking back the BMW exhaust system, I traded the 2002 on a new 1972 Volvo 142E (because a neighbor had one). I had the Volvo for about 4 weeks and hated it. It was standard shift but felt like a tank after my very-nailed-to-the-ground BMW. So, at the 5 week mark, I traded again, this time for a BMW Bavaria. Right car - wrong tranny - automatic!! Needless to say, within about 3 months, I was shopping again and this time got it right. Traded the Bavaria on a new BMW 2002 4 speed. Soooo - back where I started but 4 cars in one year and many dollars lost in the process!! Later, in the 70's I ended up with a 1977 Olds Cutlass, 1976 BMW 530i, 1963 Corvette Stingray roadster, and a 1977 Corvette - all at the same time!! My friends told me I had too much money and too few brains. I certainly solved the money problem; now I have too little of both! We understand your feelings and your desire to get back to the Impreza OBS. Good luck!! It's a great car.

Rick
  • Options
    no thrill w/a WRX, do you even have a heartbeat? Just kidding but you are one of few that haven't gotten a thrill out of driving a WRX. Doesn't mean it should be bought, just that I'm surprised. I like the OBS too. If I wasn't "thrilled" by my WRX wagon (5spd) then I would be driving a 5spd OBS for sure. :-)

Stephen
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    I have the old generation OBS, which handles pretty darn good I would say, altho there is noticeable body roll when you are cornering fast. Question to all of you WRX drivers who also drove the new OBS: is there a substantial handling difference between the two if you leave the WRX (hatch) stock and have the rims which are common to both?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    I had the 2000 OBS and traded up to the 2002 OBS. I checked into how to tweak the 2002 OBS by checking with Mike Shields (he works for SPD Tuning Service in Redondo Beach, California). He mentioned that the US specification cars are always shipped with a smaller rear sway bar to induce gross understeer, which is the major difference between US setup and world setups. Just for average street driving he recommended me moving up from my 13 mm. bar to a 17 mm. bar which will give improved steering response, flatter cornering, and reduced understeer.

The stock suspension of the OBS he recommended replacing with an STI kit for the 5-door car which would give flatter cornering with much improved handling balance while keeping the excellent ride quality.

However better tires would also be needed with improved suspension. He recommends Toyo Proxes T1's.

So it's 1. rear bar 2. improved tires 3. suspension kit if you wish a firmer more controlled ride quality than you get with just the bar and better tires.

I'll be getting the sway bar soon, and next year upgrading the tires. Then we'll see whether the suspension is needed.

Don't know if this answers your question but may give a little insight to what a pro recommends.
  • Options
    Rick: you should have shared that great story a couple of months ago! ;-)

I test drove a new OBS and it felt a lot like the WRX sedan I drove a little later, just not as quick. You get the same tires and chassis, just small differences in tuning few people will notice.

-juice
  • Options
    This is the order in which I upgraded my WRX wagon; 20mm OEM WRX sedan rear swaybar to replace 17mm, front Whiteline 22mm swaybar, 17"Toyo T1-S (great tires, BTW)and wheels, rear Cusco strut bar, front STi strut bar. It's good to do the tire/wheel/suspension upgrades in stages so that you can see what feels the best for your needs.

Stephen
  • Options
    does anyone have the Subaru roof cargo basket? Does it come with some sort of base, or is your stuff resting on the roof?

Any comments on the trailer hitch bike rack?

I have a Subaru coupon that is trying to mail itself to the parts department as we speak.
  • Options
    I have the OE hitch and the bike carrier. The hitch can carry a tongue weight of 200 lbs total, but the rack only has space for 2 bikes. I've carried a 3rd by strapping it to another bike, though.

The OE hitch is sturdy, bolted down by 7 17mm bolts. The fit is excellent, and it does not hurt your angle of departure (it's even with the exhaust pipe cover).

I use a soft carrier on the roof so I wanted a bike rack that fit somewhere else.

-juice
  • Options
    linsavylinsavy Member Posts: 13
    I have one for my Impreza wagon. You must have a roof rack to use it and it sits about 4" off of the roof. It comes with a tie down net that works very well. I think the mounts for it to the rack are sold separately. You will also need a bag to keep your stuff from getting wet.
    It works OK, but a cargo box would be much better.
  • Options
    I'm on a tight budget, and the hard carrier is 3x as much. Juice, what kind of soft roof carrier do you have?
This discussion has been closed.