Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, get a car fax report and call 800-SUBARU3 for a free VIN history if you go the used car route.

-juice
  • Options
    bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    So my d.o. mom took delivery of her 2003 2.5 TS (red, MT) today, and called me to give the good news. It actually came in last week, but she had them put an aftermarket sunroof in.

Many thanks to those of you who helped out selecting a Chicago-area dealer for her (I'm in Denver).

Although they gave her a bit of a run-around on the auto-dimming mirror (first it was a factory-installed option for $119, then it was a dealer-installed option for $350 - she told them "no thanks"), mom still feels she got a very good deal and was treated very well.

Only difference from the '02 is the addition of standard cruise control (not available last year, even as an option).

Now we just have to talk her into a cross-country trip to the Rockies, so that we can introduce our Forester to her TS wagon !

cheers,

-brianV
  • Options
    shreddedshoeshreddedshoe Member Posts: 34
    So a sunroof isn't available on the Outback Sport. It has to be installed aftermarket? bsvoller: What kind of warranty did the dealer give your mom on the sunroof?
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Here is a link to a sunroof that won't take away from the structural ridgitity of the new imprezas. Its very similar to the ones installed in the JDM imprezas. See how it is real wide but short front to rear? http://forums.i-club.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=228746

-mike

• Options
    Not sure of the warranty details on my Mom's sunroof. I'll ask her and get back to you.

She did mention that it's both (power) tilt and retract, which she likes. I wish our Forester's moonroof would tilt (although I prefer the size to the tilt option, and I suspect the size makes tilting problematic).
  • Options
    No tilt on my Trooper one which is slightly larger than the forester one. I like it cause my glass is actually larger than the hole so that when it seals it seals nice and tight.

-mike
  • Options
    shreddedshoeshreddedshoe Member Posts: 34
    Thanks. I'd like to get a moon/sunroof in my next vehicle (still undecided as to what that actually is going to be), but I see that the OBS doesn't offer it as an option. Don't really need it...but it would be nice.
  • Options
    Cool, so even the TS now has cruise standard? Tell her congrats from the Crew.

That pop-up moonroof was cheap, $218?

It does not look like 17", though, more like 14". My wife's is 15" and it's bigger than that, in fact that one may be 13".

Still, looks pretty good, and that price is hard to believe.

-juice
  • Options
    And the JDM one fits between the A and B Pillar braces, like the one in the above link of the guy in LI who had his installed.

-mike
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I asked this in a WRX thread, should have asked here...does anyone have tips for consistently smooth shifting? I try to keep my movements deliberate, no clutch drops. I don't give it any gas until the clutch is completely let out (once I'm moving)...should I be?
  • Options
    I answered over there 'cause I saw it there first. But take a close look at the throttle pedal and see how the top portion is hinged - it helps to press the throttle at the bottom.

-juice
  • Options
    but should I give it gas before the clutch is completely engaged? I'm talking about shifting into 2nd, 3rd, etc. not a launch. I've gotten into the habit of not giving any throttle until the clutch is completely let up, but should I be blipping it at the end of the clutch travel?
  • Options
    On any clutch, the smoothest engagement will happen when you match revs. It's an art form, though, and takes lots of practice to get right.

I match revs on upshifts, but not downshifts. When you're going from 3rd to 4th, say, it's not like the clutch is absorbing much torque anyway.

But try easing onto the throttle as you disengage the clutch, to match the revs. If you get good, really good, your passengers will find it so smooth, they'll think you're driving an automatic.

-juice
  • Options
    In my dreams! But I'll try giving a little throttle as I'm easing up on the clutch. Oops, I thought engaging the clutch meant letting it up.

I don't know what it is, sometimes my car is ornery. I blame me! When I first learned stick I drove in a state of perpetual terror. Thank goodness I made it through that!
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
    Caroline,

There are some great Subaru shifting tips here:

http://www.spdusa.com/shifting.htm

-Dennis

• Options
    I have that one bookmarked, and I'd forgotten he did say no gas until clutch is released...
  • Options
    Shreddedshoe - The warranty on my mom's 3rd party moonroof is 3/36, just like the standard OEM bumper to bumper warranty.
  • Options
    My ASC roof is lifetime, though to the original owner only.

-juice
  • Options
    bongo5bongo5 Member Posts: 1
    i have my sights set on an OBS. i'd love to buy a new one but the finances won't allow it, so i'm looking for a good used alternative.

i found a '99 OBS, 14,400 mi, listed at $12K direct from the owner. white. clean record, great shape. The TMV is $11,172... just wondered if anyone had an opinion or practical experience buying something similar. i figured $11K is a fair price. any thoughts? it seems like a good price for something with such low mileage.
  • Options
    The miles are super-low. Did you include the mileage credit in the TMV calculation?

If you can get it for $11k, I'd go for it. That thing is hardly used.

-juice
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    then that would make my Mom's 5k '99 OBS "just left the Dealer's lot" ;-)

Clean record, great shape for $12k, it a good price I would say. :)

-Dave
  • Options
    Try "not broken in yet"!

My Forester got better mileage at 20k miles than it did new. I seriously think her engine is still green, i.e. not yet achieving peak fuel efficiency.

-juice
  • Options
    Hypov it now has the equivilent of 15K miles, cause I drove it at auto-x yesterday! :)

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    tag another 7k to it....
    cuz I drove it too :D

Me: "Mom, can I borrow your car."
    Mom: "What's wrong with your car."
    Me: "Nothing, nothing is wrong with it."
    Mom: "Where're you going?"
    Me: [grinning] "Going to a BBQ that I-club is having."
    Mom: "OK"
    Me: [grinning]

This morning Dad asked, "So, how did the car handled?" [with a smirk]...
    Me: [grinning] "Oh, I'm late to work gotta go." :D

-Dave
  • Options
    Don't show them the pics :)

-mike
  • Options
    brianlbaileybrianlbailey Member Posts: 22
    I have a 1996 Subaru Outback Impreza.
    My entire center brake light is out (no bulbs work). Does this work like the old Christmas tree lights.... One bad bulb and none will cut
    on.

The bulbs "appear" to be good in that the filaments are in tact.
    Also, my rr and rl brake lights function properly.

Any ideas / suggestions, or should I just buy five new bulbs and see
    what happens?
    Thanks,
    blb
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    if you just leave the third brake light burned out? Can you get a ticket for that one the way you can for regular brake lights?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    My thought is that you have a wiring problem. The chance of 3 bulbs going out at the same time in highly unlikely.

-mike
  • Options
    I agree with Mike, the odds of three bulbs going without visible damage are pretty long. You probably have a bad ground or corrosion on the supply line, a bad socket connection, etc.

It's rare, but I have seen apparently intact bulbs fail. Put them on an ohmmeter to be sure. Once you know the bulbs are OK, look for an open in that part of the circuit. You already know that the brake pedal switch works, and that you have power as far as the other brake lights. Should be pretty easy to track down.

hth,

-brianV
  • Options
    lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    Looked around at past posts but couldn't find anything. Our '99 OBS wagon just had it's cruise go out for the second time in 39K. Strange, especially since it's the only problem we've had since we drove off the lot.
    Any info?--dealer did not seem to know of any systemic problems.
  • Options
    What are the indications?
    Does the cruise light come on?
    MT or AT?
    Could be electrical, loose vacuum hose or clutch cruise switch stopper.

On my '97 OBS, my cruise went out once. It turned out to be this little plastic stopper thingy on the clutch pedal arm. It comes in contact with the cruise disengage switch and mine was broken. It's about halfway up the clutch pedal.

Bought a new one for $1.49 and never had another problem. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    The cruise on my '98 Forester has always worked well. In fact it's much better at maintaining consistent speeds than our 2002 Legacy.

Bulbs are cheap, so I say replace all 3. They only last so much time anyway, and with Murphy's Law they'd burn out as soon as you fixed the connection issue.

-juice
  • Options
    My mom reports she got 25+ mpg tooling around the Chicago area, and 31.4 mpg on a recent trip to Springfield. Not bad on a green engine - she's at 1400 miles now.

To be fair, she's been extremely careful during the break-in period, shifting at 3000 rpm, and keeping her highway speed varied, but below 70-75 mph.

Nevertheless, she's very pleased with the new car's mileage performance, as am I. Her old Golf never did much better, and it didn't have all the extra drivetrain losses (FWD) or the displacement (2.0l).

-brianV
  • Options
    That's great, because mileage tends to improve with age. My Forester improved by about 2mpg after 20k miles or so.

Our Legacy is still new (4k miles), but it's already averaging 25mpg and hit 29+mpg on our last trip. The TS is lighter, so no surprise.

-juice
  • Options
    you gonna get almost 30 mpg on a regular basis from an AWD vehicle?? Nowhere that I know of! Great...

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Yeah, I regularly get 28 mpg with our Forester tooling around Denver, and I don't shift at 3000 or below all the time... :-).

We're at 30k now, I burn 91 octane, and keep the tires at 32 psi all around. I think the biggest mileage factor is that it's really not stop and go city driving, more like sedate highway driving with occasional stops.

Out on the interstate going 80 mph, our mileage actually declines a bit, but we're still in the mid-to-high 20's.

I once got 22 mpg towing our camper to the Black Hills at 75 mph. Try that in a full-size SUV !
  • Options
    In the fuel mileage topic one H2 owner was reporing 10-13 mpg, and hoping for 15!

-juice
  • Options
    A guy with an Excursion reported getting 6-8 mpg in town. Ouch.

Fill-up can run $50-60. Double ouch.
  • Options
    Why-oh-why would you even bother with one of those in town? They're impossible to manuever, can't fit in 90% of the parking spots, guzzle gas, and aren't used to capacity in those situations.

Keep 'em on horse farms, where they belong. Not even in the 'burbs.

-juice
  • Options
    I don't get it either...

I think many people let Madison Ave do their thinking for them. They need 7 passenger seating + cargo, but won't be caught dead in a mini-van, since the ad boys declared them "square", so they buy a tank at twice the price instead.

Let's face it. Big SUV's are just as ugly as any mini-van. I don't care how big the tires are, they look like big butt buses.

I loved the Subaru commercial with Paul Hogan and the "world's largest SUV" - a converted school bus with big mag tires, a row of giant driving lights on top and massive bumpers. It was hilarious. ("...seats 84...")

Didn't go over well in truckville, though - they pulled it again after a couple of weeks...
  • Options
    Subie would make the OBS in a two-door version - sound weird? As a person who takes a lot of trips in it with just one or two people, I would not mind it being a little smaller, shorter, and consequently LIGHTER, for more pep and handling. It is supposed to be the small version of the outback, right?

I also think Subie could make a lot of money for itself if it had an extended wheelbase version of the Forester, with more back seat room and more cargo room too. And they need to put the flat 6 in it!

• Options
    They had to pull the bunny ad, too, the one for the Forester.

I'd like to see some kind of coupe, too, though I was thinking more in terms of a new SVX based on the WRX, instead.

And definitely, work on some weight loss. The Forester lost 80 lbs with its redesign, while the Imprezas gained some 200 lbs or so. Get those Forester designers in on the Impreza replacement!

-juice
  • Options
    lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    I believe our problem *is* the "little plastic stopper thingie." Would you mind being more specific about where you got the replacement (subaru parts?) and what you did with it. The dealer replaced the first one under warranty so I did not pay much attention at the time. It's round and white and about 1/2 in. in diameter, correct?
  • Options
    That's it!

I just went to a dealer and started describing the piece. Before I even told the guy what kind of car I had he asked, "Impreza?".

About halfway up the clutch pedal arm is where the stopper goes. My old one was there, but it was smashed up. I just pulled the old one out and pushed the new one in.

-Dennis
  • Options
    aajoslinaajoslin Member Posts: 15
    Just saw an add for the new Baja... can't wait for my wifes car to die now... it would go well with my 2002 OBS... plus the exact same engine... that makes it easier to maintain both. Considering putting my wifes cavalier into a tree somewhere... Or I could drive it to N'orleans and park it down town for Isadore to flood... better get on the road ;)
  • Options
    Let CarMax take it off your hands for a few bucks.

-juice
  • Options
    aajoslinaajoslin Member Posts: 15
    If only it were that simple... Convincing my wife we need a second new car in as many years would be a lot easier if the car was totalled... beyond that, I'm gonna have to wait for that inevitable massive malfunction (It IS an american car *wink*)!
  • Options
    moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    anyone know if the 2003 Imps get side airbags?I know the WRXs do....I see the Foresters have 'em.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    I test drove a 2002 Outback Sport in May and noticed a hesitation or "dead spot" when hitting the gas around a corner.
    Yesterday I test drove another 2002 OBS (this one used). Same thing... if I hit the gas hard going straight or around a corner.. it would hesitate before accelerating. The owner said he put in 87 and if he put in 89 it probably wouldn't do that.
    Is this true? It felt like a car that needed a tune up.
    Otherwise, it handles great and the seat may to be hard for me though. Shame about the seat and acceleration... I like the car.

Also... I saw a 2003 OBS at a dealer... no side airbags yet, even as option. I guess they want you to move up the line. That's foolish marketing though, because you might not move up to the Forester... you may buy a different brand instead.
This discussion has been closed.