Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    the scoop is distinctive! Don't get rid of it! A couple of days, and you won't even notice it is there when you are driving.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    linsavy2linsavy2 Member Posts: 3
    You are not helping me here.
  • Options
    bluesubiebluesubie Member Posts: 3,497
  • Options
    '04 OBS running around the streets every once in a while...looks like the only thing they changed visually was the front end? I really like the new look. Was that and the standard rear discs the limit of the '04 revisions?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Plus an in-glass antennae. I think the radio looks a bit different too.

-juice
  • Options
    tkevinblanctkevinblanc Member Posts: 356
    I was looking at an OBS the other day that I really liked better than the TS wagon (better equipment).

but I hated the "Outback Sport" decal on the lower rear quarterpanel.

Has anyone removed that decal?
  • Options
    that was sideswiped in his OBS - when he had the body shop fix and repaint the dented panel, they didn't put the decal back on, so he only had it on one side after that! I am sure it can be done - probably very easy to do.

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    the Outbacks Sport is marketed as the Impreza RV. It's exactly like our OBS, with the following exceptions: 2.0 engine, RHD—and no rear door decal. It looks much better, I agree.

http://subaru.com.au/explore/impreza/exterior.asp?item=11590

You can probably remove the decal using a hair dryer, and carefully peal the decal.

Bob
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hairdryer + fishing line.

Heat it up and then use the fishing line to peel it away. Should work well.

-mike
  • Options
    hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Heat the decal not the fishing line ;-)

-Dave
  • Options
    To-may-to, To-mah-to, but a heat gun and dental floss works too.

-juice
  • Options
    And I didn't even take any grief for wanting it off...
  • Options
    since the disappearance of the hood scoop, OBS has become relatively conservative-looking, and the "sport!" stickers no longer fit the overall image as well as they used to.

• Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    You don't need a hair dryer, dental floss, etc. On a warm (70 degrees) day I carefully picked at the end with my fingernail and slooowly pulled it off. Key word, sloooooow.

On an unrelated note, do you guys know about the AAA charge card? 5% off automatically every time you pay for gas at the pump, any brand. I just got our first statement and we saved $7. The rebate shows on your statement, not the receipt so you can actually make a little cash on your mileage expenses! Key word, little.
  • Options
    Leave it up to a female to put us in our place! LOL

-juice
  • Options
    Tools are fun, and I don't have fingernails to speak of... sounds like an excuse to buy an expensive, specialized scraper and a variable speed, variable power heat gun...
  • Options
    Where the heck have you been???

I have a Subaru Mastercard to get free Subaru toys. :-)

-Dennis
  • Options
    damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    For those who have followed my saga, I'll be putting the paperwork together with my dealer this Thursday for a 2004 Outback Sport. I've decided to lease for three years, and possibly finance after the lease is done if I still like the Soobie. I'm finding that lease numbers aren't terrific, but not too bad. Money factor of .0020 and residual of 57%. With tax, and nothing down, it should be around $335 or so. It works out better than a leftover 2003, because of the better residual. I really stewed over debating the OBS and the Forester...picking OBS for the fun factor. It's just more enjoyable to drive, IMHO. Looking forward to joining the Subaru Owners Club in a few days. Thanks for the help I've received here in making this decision.
  • Options
    Good for you, always go with fun. Congrats.

-juice
  • Options
    syborsybor Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone,

I am on the verge of buying a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. From the reviews in edmunds, it seems that people had mixed experiences with it. At the dealer, when the vehicle was started, water started spewing out of the exhaust outlet. The dealer claimed that the many days of rain last couple of days in Massachusetts accumulated water in the exhaust and the spewing action was normal. I am wondering what you guys think...is this a normal behaviour? Just asking as I would like to make sure I am not buying a "bad" vehicle. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone,

I am on the verge of buying a 2000 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport. From the reviews in edmunds, it seems that people had mixed experiences with it. At the dealer, when the vehicle was started, water started spewing out of the exhaust outlet. The dealer claimed that the many days of rain last couple of days in Massachusetts accumulated water in the exhaust and the spewing action was normal. I am wondering what you guys think...is this a normal behaviour? Just asking as I would like to make sure I am not buying a "bad" vehicle. Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    It does sound normal. There's probably condensation in the exhaust from sitting as well.

But, most of all, water vapor is a normal part of a vehicle exhaust. See here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/catalytic-converter1.htm

-Brian
  • Options
    If it were unburned gasoline, you would have a check-engine light to go with it. I think the dealer was being honest.

Want a nice check list?

* check if the wheel bearing are quiet (turn off radio)
    * search the engine block closely for oil leaks (gaskets, seals)
    * make sure the check-engine light bulb works when you insert the key, but it's not on when you operate
    * sample shifting, auto or manual, for smoothness
    * drive in a figure 8 pattern to see if differentials are noisy

If it passes all these tests, you should be good to go.

-juice
  • Options
    HI Everyone,

thanks for the advice...I have driven a figure of 8 and differential sounds fine, I have checked the engine block from the bottom and top in detail and there are no leaks....I have not checked the rest though...however, during my test drive, I notice the engine or muffler is really noisy...I guess that is the normal "problem" with all subarus?

I will be checking the other components tonight...I will let you know what I find.

thanks again!!
  • Options
    Boxers do have a unique sound, sort of a growl to them. It may be normal.

Maybe sample a different Subaru, see if there is a big difference.

An exhaust leak would cause a loud droning at highway speeds, so make sure you get out on the highway during your test drive.

-juice
  • Options
    HI Juice and Brian,

I have test drived the vehicle and checked the things you have mentioned and the impreza outback sport is fine. Now, the salesgirl has advised me to purchase the extended warranty for this vehicle. I was rather surprised by the cost of this extended warranty and I wondering, do we really need the extended warranty? What major components of the Subaru Impreza Outback break down most of the time? And how expensive are they if they are purchased from the neighbourhood mechanic?
  • Options
    HI Juice and Brian,

I have test drived the vehicle and checked the things you have mentioned and the impreza outback sport is fine. Now, the salesgirl has advised me to purchase the extended warranty for this vehicle. I was rather surprised by the cost of this extended warranty and I wondering, do we really need the extended warranty? What major components of the Subaru Impreza Outback break down most of the time? And how expensive are they if they are purchased from the neighbourhood mechanic?
  • Options
    There is a website you can shop for quotes, for Subaru OE warranties. You do not have to buy from the dealer, even for an OE warranty. Wish I knew the URL - anyone?

They cost more with used cars.

A lot of the stuff that fails - well, it would have failed by now. If it passed all those tests, your odds are good (there is always a chance).

-juice
  • Options
    A quick report on passing the 1000 mile mark with my new OBS. I put around 900 miles on it over the past few days on a road trip to NY. Didn't use cruise very much because of the break-in and the loads of highway traffic this holiday, but cruise works OK. Wanted to downshift when accelerating via the cruise shifter, but I found that tapping it up instead of holding it took care of that problem. I must say, though, that the seats are miserable for a long drive. Shorter stuff, no problem, but not 3-4 hours at a time. Ouch! My herniated disc acted up on me after 6 hours, and stayed sore for two days. I'm going to try a lumbar pillow to see how that works, but man, those seats don't do well for long drives at all.

On a positive note, the car handled and behaved perfectly for the trip. Some cabin intrusion from road seams, but not bad considering the cars size. Good road manners, decent acceleration, comfortable steering...all good things. The OBS really is made for the twisties, though, of which the NYS Thruway has none. Long, boring drive. Surprisingly, the car doesn't get blown around too much being passed by semi's. Really handled well, so I'm pleased. I think I'll do a full review after a couple months, once I've put more mileage on it.

-Dan-
  • Options
    What kind of mileage are you getting? Have you had a chance to let 'er rip now that she's broken in? :-)

-juice
  • Options
    Juice-

On the highway portion, which was over 400 miles straight, average of 72 mph (varied, due to break-in concerns), I averaged 34.3 mpg. Most excellent, especially coming from that Jeep GC. For around town stuff, lots of stops and starts, not really gunning it, I averaged 25.2 mpg. It's clearly over the average for this car. Just putting regular 87 octane gas in it, keeping away from hard braking and accelerating. Right now, total miles are a bit over 1300. And no, I really haven't let'er rip yet :( Now that it's safe, I'll see what she's made of over the next week or so and let you know.

-Dan-
  • Options
    HUH? Yowsah. Are those Imperial Gallons? LOL

Sweet mileage. You'll be happy to know mileage improves with age. Mine kept improving until about 15k, then stabilized.

-juice
  • Options
    Are you sure the decimal is in the right place. :-)
    The best I got with my '97 (2.2L) was 30. I guess 34 is possible with a lighter foot. ;-) Driving through NC you have to stay in the right lane if you're going 72.

I thought the seats in the '97 were very comfortable. I preferred taking the OBS over my wife's OB Ltd. on our trips from NJ to SC.

-Dennis
  • Options
    Yes, the mileage is real. I couldn't believe it myself. Started with full tank (no topping), drove 379 miles, fill-up took 11.02 gallons. My calculator shows an average of 34.392 mpg. Must have been a tailwind that I didn't notice :) The trip back got 31.1 mpg. If the mileage actually gets better as it gets older, I'll really be stunned. I'll let you know if it changes significantly.

-Dan-
  • Options
    woodwanusawoodwanusa Member Posts: 5
    I have recently purchased a new (2003) Outback wagon. Can someone tell me how I can turn off the daytime running lights. I believe the daytime lights just use the low beams, not their own lighting system. I don't want to be having to change headlights prematurely.
    Thx
  • Options
    brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I was wondering what the heck happened to Subymamma!

Damish - what is with that mileage? Your city MPG is beating my highway MPG. I've never broken 28 MPG.
  • Options
    The mileage hasn't changed much. As I posted, the CITY mileage was around 25, HIGHWAY was around 34. Since then, highway dropped some to 30, city still 24-25. I must be one lucky SOB to get this mileage, at least based on other peoples posts. I should track this for Subaru posterity, you know, "Best mileage possible in a Subaru", that sort of thing :)

-Dan-
  • Options
    Best I've ever heard of on a Forester was 33.x, something like that. That is phenomenal. Don't do any modifications, that thing's been blueprinted or something.

-juice
  • Options
    Juice-

You asked a bit ago if I've started pushing the engine, now that I'm past the break-in point. Not yet, except for a couple times. I think I'll start to, though. Will see what happens to the mileage then, when it starts plummeting south. And no, no modifications...I'm leasing this thing, after all. After the lease, and if I keep it, that's a different story :)

-Dan-
  • Options
    hal9001hal9001 Member Posts: 28
    Getting accurate gas mileage readings can be tricky. Several times when I got readings that were "too good", I realized that the gas station was not flat, and that my car was pointed uphill.
    This created a 1-2 gallon air pocket in the gas tank. So, for that particular tank of gas it appeared that I got great mileage because I put in 1-2 gallons less than I could have if the car had been level. This will also make the reading for the next tankfull off in the "real bad" direction because you will start off with a "full" tank which is not really full.
  • Options
    Hal9001,

A gas station with a slope? Can't say as I considered that possibility, but who knows? I'm quite sure that the stations I've been to are flat, but I'll keep it in mind. Of course, there haven't really been enough fill-ups to get a very accurate picture of the true mileage, as I'm sure you'll agree. I likely won't know enough for at least another 2-3 months. Actually, I need to fill-up again tonight or tomorrow, so I'll see how things are then. It's been mixed driving since the last fill-up, but mostly highway, so we'll see what we get. Thanks for the post.

-Dan-
  • Options
    Keep that in mind if you fill up in SF! :-)

-juice (in the mostly flat Mid Atlantic area)
  • Options
    Well, that WOULD give me an excuse for a cross-country road trip, now wouldn't it? San Fran, here we come!

-Dan-
  • Options
    OK, filled it up again last night. Have been driving a mix of highway and city, and driving somewhat more aggressively. Mileage of 30.11. I think I'll stop posting about this now, unless someone is interested. Must be a mutant Subaru :)

-Dan-
  • Options
    the mileage I used to get on my '97, and that had the smaller 2.2L! Good stuff.

• Options
    Man, they must have pulled that off the assembly line and blue-printed it or something.

She's a keeper!

-juice
  • Options
    Does anyone know who at Edmunds I can let know that the specifications shown for the 2004 OBS aren't quite right? Using the comparison link that let's you compare up to five vehicles at one time, there is a tab for specs. I've noticed a couple of discrepancies, now that I own one. Specifically, the 2004 OBS does NOT have the rear spoiler standard, but DOES have front reading lights. This is the opposite of what Edmunds shows. I'd like to see it corrected. Juice, anyone?

-Dan-
  • Options
    Ask Moderator_Bob at the chat tonight. He'll know who makes those corrections.

Hmm, usually there is the e-mail of the host that acts as moderator for these topics, but I don't see one on this page.

-juice
  • Options
    Kinda stuck then, as I don't do chat. I am on these boards from work, and don't have internet at home, when the chat runs. If you don't mind, Juice, would you have Bob drop me a note, and I'll ask him? Or do you have an email for Bob now?

-Dan-
  • Options
    Try Karen, one of the hosts, just add @edmunds.com to her name.

Bob works on the chats, I don't think he does updates. She may now who does.

-juice
This discussion has been closed.