Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• aitkenheadaitkenhead Member Posts: 12
    If you have all wheel drive, no, a full size wheel will not fit in the spare stowage underneath.
  • nthompson1nthompson1 Member Posts: 13
    Thanks so much for the quick response. I am saving and printing all Internet postings re this problem before I take it to a repairman.
    Message #1229 and #1230 also refer to a faulty intake manifold gasket.
    See www.oldsmobileforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8233 posting by 442much. This gives details of class action lawsuit against GM in Canada after CTV Whistleblower report that reveals in detail this same problem in millions of GM vehicles.
    My mechanic in Iuka MS told me to check the underneath of oil cap; if it has yellow gel, that means the intake may have a leak. I checked this before I bought the Trans Sport; and, it does not have that.
    I am in SW MI.
    The engine oil is not overfull; but 1/2 gallon extra may not be enough to change the visible level on the stick,
    The actual mileage is 180,145. It would seem that someone would have had to have changed the OM gasket before now. Maybe it went bad again.
    The plastic engine coolant reservoir does not have a full hot marker, only a full cold. There are 2 small holes drilled in the top; one has a black plug in it. The other hole is open.
    I deeply appreciate all replies. If this ends up to be an inexpensive repair(under $100), I will be a happy camper.
  • shanesmomshanesmom Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 Pontiac Montana overheats when slowing down or is at an idle. We have changed the water pump, thermostat, radiator, intake manifold gasket and it still over heats. And bleed it until I was bleeding. Any suggestions?
  • spike99spike99 Member Posts: 239
    Could be bad "head gasket" - which is different then intake gasket. One of my previous vehicles was a Chev Sunbird. Loved its engine power but it loved eating head gaskets even more. After its 2nd head gasket (due to over heating when idling in traffic), it had to go. With cold rad, remove its main rad cap and start its engine. Let idle for more then 10 minutes - or when it heats up too much. If you look down with a flashlight and see bubles floating upward inside the main rad, this its head gasket it gone as well. That's how I confirmed both head gaskets were gone on my previous vehicle. re: Bubbles = trouble. LOL!!!!

Hope this helps...

Did you ever get a diagnosis on this? Did it prove to be the hub assembly like guehouse suggested? If so which wheel? I have the same symptom of a sound from the front end like an airplane prop slowing down when decelerating. 2003 Montana AWD w 80K miles.
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    Bad heater core?
  • bikeralbikeral Member Posts: 6
    i had the same problem and it turned out to be a leak into one of my cylinder from a bad head gasket. good luck
  • frymanfryman Member Posts: 19
    Not yet but based on guehouse diagnosis and the shop manual, probably is the wheel bearing. Think it is the passenger side.
    I had the same problem and it turned out to be a blown head gasket.

Replaced the head gaskets and remanufactured heads and have gotten another 25000 miles of it and still going strong (172K to date). Rear side of the engine is a bear to work on though but I was able to complete the job (first engine top end rebuild). The shop manual is almost required if you are going to do it yourself.

Good luck
    Well, I just spent all day changing the front left wheel hub-bearing assembly, and yep, that's what the airplane prop noise was. The worn assembly was so bad that, after removal, it could not be turned by hand, and the ABS sensor housing (integrated with it) was all cooked and distorted.
    Just spent most of the day replacing the front passenger hub assembly and I am happy to say I could let the stewardesses go. The hub came apart and had rusty water in it. Gueman, thanks for advice, that solved the problem.
  • gvanzant1gvanzant1 Member Posts: 2
    Last week, while on a trip, my wife and I noticed a strong gas odor coming from our 2005 Pontiac Montana. The odor is inconsistent: sometimes we notice it when the van is running; other times there is no odor at all when running. Then, we may notice it when the van is parked (not running), but again at other times, there is no odor while parked. So I took it to a mechanic who had it for several hours and couldn't find any leak nor noticed any odor. He started and restarted the van and even drove it a couple times. Nothing. There was no odor for 2-3 days, but then today, it was back and stronger than ever. If we notice it while driving, we simply pull over, turn the van off and then back on, and it usually disappears. What do we tell the mechanic to look for?
    For now, a mechanic came to my house, changed oil, filters, thermostat, etc..
    The obvious overheating culprit is a hole in the plastic end of the upper right side of radiator(gets air filter wet).
    Radiator and labor costs about $450.
    IS THERE ANY AVAILABLE SUBSTANCE THAT I CAN ADHERE TO THE OUTSIDE OF THE RADIATOR AT THE LEAK? ITS WORTH A TRY.
    After spending $1450 for vehicle, $450 for title, plate, and insurance, and $100 for mechanic, I am trying any possible, cheap solution first.
    If I have to have the radiator changed, should I have a universal coolant and reinforced metal gaskets put in, or keep as is(Dex Cool)?
    Lets hope the intake manifold gasket and head gasket are okay.
    Thanks a lot.
    Not too sure of any glue or paste that will fix a leaky rad. JB Weld Epoxy might work but not too sure if I'd truse it on a vibrating / high heat rad. For a visual, surf: http://store.heavenlyhobbies.com/29-002-8265s.html

If this is your daily ride (and needs to be reliable), I'd make lots of phone calls and price a new rad replacement. And buy a new rad cap as well. Call around, then drive to the store to buy it. I'd then install the new rad and new hoses myself. If you aren't "good with a wrench", invite a few wrench monkeys (LOL!) over and give them beer AFTER they installed and tested your van's new rad.

For main RAD cooling fluid, I'd install what the owner's manual calls for. For example, university antifreeze or DEX-Cool stuff. Sometimes, the rad's overflow container will state on the outside what to use as well. If you do switch to other fluid, you'll need to flush the system multiple times. I hear one cannot mix both fluids - or lumps will form.

Also... I hear today's Dex-Cool formula is much better then pre-2003 formula. Today's version is friendlier on gaskets and water pumps. Still, I'd change Dex-Cool fluid every 4 years (same replacement schedule as normal universal anti-freeze).

Hope this helps...

Is it normal for level to be 3-4" below top of radiator fill opening(while cool)? If I fill it, coolant drains over to the reservoir.

With a new thermostat installed, the visual water gauge shortly swings over to hot, and then back to normal for the rest of the ride. Also, the air filter doesnt get wet now.

I had ordered a new radiator(crack in plastic cap end) but it never came (out of stock).

Thanks a lot.
    I want to install an auxiliary transmission oil cooler in my 03 Montana. I do not understand how to disconnect the existing rigid cooler line at the radiator. Hayden/Imperial, manufacturer of my new cooler, had me order their fit kit number 397 which is just a flared brass tube, a compromise coupling. I am supposed to release the existing rigid tube at its quick-disconnect union at the radiator and substitute their coupling. I've tried several quick disconnect tools from the auto parts store, either split nylon collets or scissors-like tools that are supposed to encircle the rigid tube and slip into the union to spread the spring clip in there. These don't work for me (admittedly, they don't claim to work on transmission cooler lines). Any DIYers out there solve this one, or is there a professional who can give me a hint?
    I found my own answer. The quick disconnect solution for the transmission cooler lines comes from a company called Jiffy Tite and their website has a wealth of information on how to deal with it.
    Reply to quehouse reply.
    Have had a new radiator/radiator cap installed. Overheating probem is sooner, worse. The mechanuc who installed the radiator in 2 hours, gunned the engine for about 45 minutes(on and off, mostly on). This frightened me. After I left and went to Walmart, it overheated 30 mintues later. I took the Trans Sport back to mechanic. He released the pressure with a tool, and spent about 5 minutes on vehicle. He said all it needed is to be burped to get air bubble out. Driving home, it still overheated. I stopped at another service station and asked him to burp it. Mechanic there said head gasket is blown.
    I have tried all kinds of ways to burp the radiator(cap on and off, adding coolant, etc.) in the driveway.
    After first mechanic replaced cracked end radiator, vehicle now sends out white smoke, and oil is showing higher on dipstick.
    How do I know if the problem is intake manifold gasket or had gasket?
    Please help me.
  • boga228boga228 Member Posts: 50
    No matter what the problem is they still would to pull the intake out to check the gaskets. They also can do a cylinder leakage test or a compression test on the cylinders. Try and find a good mechanic if not see the dealer to find the real problem hope that helps.
  • quehousequehouse Member Posts: 7
    I am almost sure that what you describe is a intake manifold gasket problem. What kind of mechanic installed your rad and did not notice that your engine oil was way over filled?? I would be looking for a new mechanic if I was you.
    Sometimes, an engine can have a head and/or intake gasket leak and NOT show any external signs. For example, the "leakage" is being sucked into the cylinder very slowly and its very hard to detect. Even from inspecting its spark plug color and tail pipe color. If the RAD system constantly needs burping, then air is getting into its system. Most likely from blown head gasket.

After engine is cool (sitting 24+ hours), remove its rad cap, let engine idle and "warm up" on its own (say 10-15 minutes), then look down its rad cap opening. If you see a bubble of air floating to the top, then its most likely a blown head gasket. That's how they detected blow head gasket on my previous vehicle.

Being a 12+ year old van, I'd seriously think about trading in or selling for parts. Replacing head and intake gasket (do both at the same time) can cost from $2K to $3K. Especially if heads need to be plained down (to remove warp) as well. If wondering, I had to "dump" a previous GM vehicle that had a head gasket leak. It wasn't worth fixing either.

Hope this helps....
  • glessenglessen Member Posts: 2
    I am working on a 2001 Pontiac Montana. I am replacing the A/C sompressor. This van has dual air. And I am looking for some kind of manual on how to replace this. I need to know where the rear air accumulator is? Any help would be greatful.

Thank you
    Gordon
  • luvmyvan2luvmyvan2 Member Posts: 2
    hello all i own a 2002 montana and last night had the scare of my life. it was raining and i had my youngest and my 4 month old grand daughter with me.

i wasn't too far from home thankfully, when the heat gauge went way up and the temp light came on, i had no power in the motor ( barely made it up the hill ). pulled over to the side of the road and threw on my hazards. (dangerous spot to have to stop but had no choice).

lots of coolant in the resevour, let it cool down for about an hour, drove it back home and parked it. this morning i started it back up to see if i could find a problem now my oil light is on and the oil life says it is at 0. just had the oil changed last month at the dealer.

has anyone else had this sort of problem and could you please tell how to fix it? this is my only vehicle and i use it daily as i am moving.

thank you for reading my post :sick:
  • quakergilquakergil Member Posts: 1
    I need to replace the back door or have it fixed. My ? is,What previous years have the same body parts. So, will a hatch door off of a 99', 00'or 01'models be the same hatch door as the 2004 model. Or even the Transports models, might they fit? :confuse:
    Immediate engine over heating could be from a variety of different reasons. Anything from "stuck / broken" inner engine oil pump, to too low of engine oil, to plugged oil filter (assuming the previous engine oil replacement folks did change the oil filter), to plugged up main radiator, to stuck main rad `thermostate`, to electric main rad fans NOT turning on when they should, to even engine head gasket leakage. Variety of different reasons that a certified auto mechanic must investigate. As a suggestion, call a few local auto mechanics in your area and ask them to investigate. Can you drive your van to your local mechanic or get them to Tow Truck it to their shop? Hard call on this decision. Hopefully, its a simple stuck thermotate or perhaps a broken wire on their main rad's electric fans. Hopefully, its something this simple (and low cost) to fix.

Good luck.
  • luvmyvan2luvmyvan2 Member Posts: 2
    since the over heating of my van i have driven it and for 5 days had no probs, now it is acting up again. temp gauge goes to the red and the dummy light comes on. since i reset the oil meter hasn't told me to check the oil. i plan on calling my garage to have them look at it i also hope it is a cheap fix. i had the thermostat changed 2 years ago.

thank you for responding :sick:
    I think it could also be a blocked heater core, but this problem exceeds my modest abilities to analyze.
  • srg200159srg200159 Member Posts: 1
    asb,check engine light and 1 other light stays on. the gas gauge stays on full. what could this be?
  • lostinmyhead1lostinmyhead1 Member Posts: 1
    It is amazing. I was told by a dealer that it was going to cost $798 (to start) to fix the same problem on my 2001 Montana. I had already cleaned the van out and was going to sell it as is until I saw you post. For $66 I bought 2 circuit board replacements and the van passed inspection w/ no ABS or Trac lights on. Thanks you save our van or probably $1500 in repairs figuring that the $800 wouldn't have fixed it and they would have kept charging us for useless repairs
  • jayinmi1978jayinmi1978 Member Posts: 1
    Is there any other Pontiac model that has a radio that is interchangeable with a 98 Montana?
    I was RIPPED OFF on a 1997 Pontiac Montana Trans Sport - overheated big time right away. I paid $1450, spent another $1000 on new radiator, thermostat, air filter, oil change, new antifreeze, insurance. Radiator repairman put water in, after charging me for 2 antifreeze gallons. Now, the water/antifreeze, oil are intermixed. The radiator tests to low of 20 Deg F, not enough for MI winters. I have been told to drain radiator and put new antifreeze in; also, to drain some of the engine oil(oil floats on top of water, so water should come out first). Is this the best idea?
    If this is done, should I start the engine in the driveway or leave well enough alone.
    I am willing to sell the minivan for $1800.
    Pleasae help!
  • quehousequehouse Member Posts: 7
    In your subject line of your message you state "blown head gasket" ??? Is this fixed?
    No, it is not fixed. But for sure that is the main problem.

I dont have a mechanic I can trust so I am having it at least winterised in the driveway.

Until I can afford/want to spend more money, this is how it has to be.
    After spending $2500 on a used Trans Sport, I finally found a mechanic that I can trust. Before spending another $1000 on a head gasket, I am going to store it in the driveway this winder(SW MI). He is coming over Sun. to drain the water/antifreeze, and fix the oil/water/antifreeze mixture.
    The snow will get plenty deep all around the minivan; will this hurt anything else?
    Thanks to everyone for their suggestions.
    After head gasket blew(at least), the fluid has been drained from the radiator, and minivan stored inside.
    Do I need to have the oil/water/coolant mixture drained from the motor? The stick shows reddish liquid above the full line.
    This is in Michigan.
    Red-handled dipstick (very long): Transmission fluid. It sounds like this is what you were looking at. It is normal for it to appear above the fill line with the engine stopped and cold. Magenta is the normal color. I wouldn't drain it for storage.

Yellow-handled dipstick (short): Engine oil. If dark brown, I'd change the oil before storage although perhaps not necessary. It should be between the low and high marks when off and cold. If it is a soft grey color or has milky streaks, it is still contaminated with water-coolant mixture from the blown head gasket and definitely should be changed.
  • witch_kingwitch_king Member Posts: 3
    I just replaced my MAF and for about 4 days all was good, today the SEL comes back on and its throwing a code 102 or MAF sensor circut low imput.???? a little help please
    My wife hit something with the RH power mirror, knocked/broke it off the door. I've reattached it to the door, need a new mirror. Got a question: there are two wires on the backside of the mirror that attach to it like wires on a window defogger....any idea what they are for? I suppose they could heat the mirror, but don't know.
    Never mind...I was going to fix the mirror, but just got a whole new mirror assembly on ebay for $55 delivered. Turns out the mirrors are heated....I never knew.
    Ok the plot thickens on my car, yesterday the power door locks started cycling on thier own to the point if ii left the engine running and got out to open my gate i could get locked out of the van!! I am looking through the repair manual now, it was really late last night but is it me or is there no fuse to pul for the power locks?? still having MAF sensor problem too
    OK, this thing with the locks throwing by themselves happened to my wife and daughter while they were away on a road trip, far from home. My wife phoned me in a panic saying it was as if the car was haunted, locks throwing by themselves and the horn honking too. I thought about it and advised my daughter to remove the button battery from her key fob, which she had only just started carrying with her. That did it, the key fob was flaky.

Also, I feel that sometimes the body electronics will act up if the battery goes completetly dead and/or is removed, as when buying a new battery.
    thank you for the reply thought about the key fob its old and worn, I will try it meanwhile i am carrying a spare key.
    I had this problem years ago on my Firebird, it was moisture related: opening the door in the rain would sometimes let water into the door-mounted switches, and they'd act up until they dried out.
  • brennanpersonabrennanpersona Member Posts: 2
    Right front noise. At any speed and not affected by bumps or turns. This is a straight ahead noise from the right front. I do not feel it in the streeing wheel so I dont think it is a flat spot or a seperated belt on the tire. The smoother the road the more I can hear it from low speed to high speed it is there and it matches the speed or the car in terms of how fast the thump is occuring. Any ideas?
    I know it's been a month, but did you ever get resolution? I went through something like this. My symptoms were scoring on the brake disk even though brake pads were not excessively worn, and a once-per-revolution bump similar to a tire problem. Some loss in handling but not severe enough to suggest broken ball joint or steering linkage. It turned out to be the hub-bearing assembly.The bearing was not seizing (I've had that too in another failure), instead it was loose and falling apart. You can tell right away if you lift the wheel off the ground. If the steering knuckle feels tight but the road wheel has some play (and furthermore the knuckle doesn't move while you are making the road wheel jiggle) you have a broken bearing. The hub and bearing are a sealed, modular assembly. DIY cost to replace, about $160. Difficulty about 3.5 on a 1 to 5 scale. Requiries specialty tools loaned from your auto parts store.
  • wsmith32wsmith32 Member Posts: 1
    any luck on resolving this issue? I've the same situation but have not tried turning off and back on.
  • cjt72cjt72 Member Posts: 3
    the brake lights on the main 4 bulb assembly do not work,The light on the gate works when the brakes are applied.The parking lights and turn signals work.I've changed the bulbs but to no avail.Please help.
    I think I had this problem, I had to replace the plastic assembly that the lights plug into...seems like the assembly can melt and short out at a socket where you can't tell unless you look closely, and it messes up the whole thing.
  • cjt72cjt72 Member Posts: 3
    thanks for the info.i will definately look into it tomorrow as it is dark out.again thanx, i will keep u posted on wat i find out tomorrow.