Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• grackgrack Member Posts: 3
    Oh, I commute a lot to work...it'd be much more than an extra $3/week. If it was about $3....heck, there'd be no issue. :)

If I actually only got 22mpg with the subaru...driving about 75 miles a day (ugh!) and currently spending about $2.40/gallon (gotta love living in the San Francisco bay area) ..actuall I paid $2.48 the other day.....

Doing a quick calculation... I figure I'd save around $456/year with the Mazda3i (at around 28-29mpg) than the Subaru if I was only getting 22mpg. That's $456 I'd rather spend on something else. ;-)

Thanks Dan for your quote. 25 is sounding a little better...and up to 27 in the summer...that's sounding much nicer. Any other OBS owners?
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    AWD AWD AWD!!!!! I would go for the RS Sport over the Mazda3 5-Door even with the slightly lower gas milage. By the time you equivalently equip it (add ABS) it's the same price anyways and you still don't get AWD.

Hey, but then again, the low-end Legacy is very close in price to an automatic RS Sport too. Anyone sat in the Legacy? I would guess it has nicer seats. Too bad I can't afford the Legacy hatchback. :(
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    That would put you in the low 20s, you can get an OBS for mid teens and RS Sport for high teens.

-juice
    Where can you can an OBS in the mid teens? Seems priced equivalently with the RS Sport here in the Boston area.
    From fitzmall.com, lowest price for:

OBS Special: $17,794
    RS: $16,972
    RS Pro: None in stock
    Legacy: $19,177

A little lower than I expected, but once you add some options I was pretty close.

-juice
    OK, you get one of those for me in automatic, out the door for $17k I'll buy one.;)
    No chance of getting those kind of discounts here in New England area.

I want to wait and see what they do with the side-impact test stuff first, if my current car can hold out that long.
    Yeah, even prices are higher from Subaru of New England, it's crazy. They some how manage to operate along with SoA and of course add their margins. :mad:

-juice
  • eric2003eric2003 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 97 outback sport with only 35k miles. owner's manual stated that the belt should be replace at 60k or 60 months. what is everyone's experience? i would think the wear has more to do with mileage than time.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    The rubber breaks down over time, so the time does have an effect on it.

-mik
    New Englanders love their Subarus. It is so hard to find a deal on a used one it doesn't even pay to buy anything but new.

If I end up buying I will try and hold out as long as I can so the thing will pass the side-impact tests, if not hopefully they'll offer that $1k incentive again. That was the biggest incentive I've ever seen Subaru NE offer on the Impreza.
    My Miata's belts are squeeky as a pack of mice. I have just 56k miles but it's a 93 so the belts are probably 13 years old or so. Time to change 'em. :sick:

-juice
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    My '04 is a 5-speed. I think it's great on gas for an AWD vehicle. Around town in the summer I see 26-27 mpg and average around 30-31 mpg on the highway, although I've seen better than 33 mpg a couple of times when I wasn't in a hurry to get somewhere. With our cold temps and winter-formulated gas, it drops 4-5 mpg in the off-season.

I'd have to say every time I see someone saying they can't do better than 22 mpg with their Impreza, they're talking about the WRX, whereas I've seen other owners of the 165-hp version say they've broken 30 mpg, so I'm not alone there. My longest range between fills so far was 425 miles, and I only got 29 mpg on that tank.

Obviously, this doesn't necessarily mean you'll be able to get the same kind of numbers, but it's definitely possible.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Oooooo I just so happened to squeeze 25.88 mpg out of my WRX wagon [AT] today - mainly highway and moderately heavy on the foot. :D

-Dave
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    Hey Brent, are you converting your mileage to US gallons? Just wondering, for the sake of comparison.
    Owen
    Yes, I calculate US mpg as well as L/100 km. I know Imperial mpg still has its fans, but I find I don't really have any use for it. US magazines and web sites refer to US mpg, and in Canada L/100 km is pretty much the rule now.
  • aaykayaaykay Member Posts: 539
    I get around 16-18mpg in my OBS Auto. But that seems to be some kind of an aberration, since other owners get into the 20s.

My low mileage could be due to:
    a) Aggressive driving.
    b) Ultra High Perf AS tires - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S in the standard 205-55/16 size, with the air pressure at 38psi all around.

With tires having less rolling resistance, the mileage should improve, I guess. I have no other modifications.
    Except that lead in your foot. ;)

My mileage has ranged from 17.3 mpg to 30.4 mpg. '98 Forester L, 5 speed.

-juice
  • tuckerdog1tuckerdog1 Member Posts: 37
    '02 OBS AT. Initially 25-26 MPG. Removed roof rack crossbars & went to a fairly consistent 27 MPG. 60% hwy 40% city.
    It's finally time to replace the Bridgestone Potenza RE92s that came on my OBS. And am I happy. I hate these tires. Now, what to replace them with? I'm leaning toward the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread ( I'm becoming an old fart, and like a smooth quiet ride ). But these seem to get pretty good reviews in almost all other areas as well ( wet traction, dry traction, etc ).
    Has anyone put these on their Impreza? How do you like them?

Thanks,
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    I've got the SP5000s on the '99 OBS with ~6k miles on them,...
    and my 60+ Mom [her daily driver] hasn't a complained.

-Dave
  • 63corvette63corvette Member Posts: 51
    "Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tread "
    No, No, No..........Goodyewar Assurance TRIPLETRED!!!!
    Thanks for the feedback guys. The TRIPLETRED are tempting. Cost about the same as the COMFORT, and look a LOT better. I'll have to give them a serious look before I decide. The SP5000's also look to rate very high. But from most reviews I'm reading on them, they seem t be aimed more at winter conditions ( snow ). I'm in Texas, and don't have much of a snow issue. Plus, they cost a bit more.

Thanks
  • nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    and what's going on here? I couldn't find a thread at Edmunds for the next-gen Impreza, which by my watch should be hitting the streets in six months or so. Isn't there going to be an all-new Impreza for '06? Is there a 2006 Impreza thread and I am just unable to find it?

Or is there just no news at all yet on the new model? I can't recall seeing anything myself. Personally, I would love to see a new Outback Sport a bit more separated from the rest of the Impreza line on the "Outback" side of the equation: a bit more aggressive tire (maybe a small A/T tire?), a significantly higher suspension than the regular cars (say, with ground clearance to match the larger Outback), maybe even one or two optional "trucky" goodies like a limited slip diff?

Lately, I find myself missing my old '97, what with the gas prices making me keep the 4Runner (with which I replaced my old OBS) VERY close to home.

edit...OK, I did a little web footwork, and it appears that much to my dismay the new model does not arrive until MY 2007? With a possible name change? That is a shame, and I hope it doesn't mean that they will quit making Outback versions. There are some funny-looking photoshop interpretations of what Impreza's new face will look like with the new corporate "schnozz" from the Tribeca. A couple even purport to be official photos coming from Japan for their home market model, which arrives for them sooner than it arrives for us here.

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

Subaru is very good at avoiding the spies. My guess is we'll start seeing spy pics out of Japan starting this summer.

-juice
  • kc2iqfkc2iqf Member Posts: 1
    Sorry, I can not give you direct answer, but here is some suggestion at least!
    I've just put new tires on my OBS '98 (after very long research and consideration of different types) and my final selection was between BFG Traction T/A and Bridgestone Potenza RE 950. I consider them equal, but since I used to have Traction T/A on another car in the past - my choice was driven more by curiosity and now I am on Potenzas!!!
    They are great, beefy (but not heavy!!!) tires and I push them hard on cornering with great confidence! Besides they are pretty quiet!!!
    I did not have opportunity yet to drive in heavy rain, but on dry they are incredible! I wonder, why Subaru put RE 92's on Imprezas instead???
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I've found these to be the least expensive all around best tires for the subies. At around $65 on Tirerack how can you go wrong?

-mike
    is there no thread for the Impreza sedan?

I am playing with the idea of getting back in to a Subie after three years absent from the flock, with this cheap lease they have right now - $189/Month for an RS stick without the sport package.

I had only driven the big Outback with this engine, and was surprised at how much it charges the road in this smaller package.

So what's the downside? I've never leased. Apparently it is $0 down too - they assured me at the dealership that I could get out of there with nothing paid except the first month's payment.

Are there any outstanding negatives to the current base Impreza? It has that "loose yet stuck to the ground" feel from AWD that I remember so clearly. The shifter is WAY better than the one in my '97 was. Is there anything that any owners here really dislike about their cars after living with them for a while?

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• subaruobs_usersubaruobs_user Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody ! Glad to meet ! Well , I became in a new subaru OBS user a few days ago , I bought a OBS for my wife , and now I am driving it. Well it´s a cool car , has only 1800 Km or 1100 Miles. My problem is the driver seat, specially , when I change it position longitudlly , sometimes , it not stay firm , and goes forward or back when i am driving , The seats adjustmente bad ? o I dont know how to adjust it ? Thank you very much !
  • jennycjennyc Member Posts: 1
    :D I'm new to this message board. Have been comparing Outback Sport Wagon and the Impreza Sport wagon. It seems like the "bottom line" difference is the "heavy duty suspension" of the OBS, with quite a difference in price.

Does anyone know what this means? How does the OBS ride differently than the Impreza? Is it basically that the OBS would be less bouncy on a road that is not paved??

And a general question, anyone out there with 04 or 05 of these Subaru wagons have any comments about them...kudos or complaints??! Looking for one in Vancouver, BC.

Appreciate any info that helps me make a decision! Thanks! :D
    Has two-tone paint and cross bars for the roof rails with built-in tie downs. Not much else changes. I'm not convinced that the suspension is significantly different, maybe a little more travel but that's about it.

obs_user: loose bolt in the seat track? Have your dealer inspect that soon, it's a safety issue.

nippon - not familiar with leasing at all, sorry.

-juice
  • damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    I own both of these cars, so I'll share my thoughts. Simply put, if you intend to drive your car off-road at all, such as forest roads or unpaved roads, spend the money for the OBS. The OBS is not intended for serious off-roading as it doesn't have a low range, but will do just fine for casual dirt and such. On the other hand, my RS wagon handles a bit better for highway and normal driving.

Take note of a couple things the RS wagon doesn't have that the OBS does. Besides the roof rack that Juice mentioned, the RS wagon doesn't have an outside temperature gauge, nor does it have courtesy map lights. I've gotten used to having them in my OBS, and my wifes RS wagon seems naked without them.

Just so you know, my OBS is a 2004 and the RS wagon is a 2005. Both cars are just great, so pick your poison based on how you plan to drive. Good luck!

-Dan-
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    Canadian RS Wagons do have roof rails.
    Owen
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    FWIW, Consumer Report says the non OBS models have a smoother ride and more stable handling than the OBS. Not everyone here gives CR a lot of credence but their cars are tested by professionals. It may be primarily a function of increased height as someone earlier said they did not think there was a whole lot of difference between the suspensions.
    No complaints about my '04 OBS. Had it since Oct '03. Never had a problem, it's fun to drive, has lots of room and great on gas. I've also driven a non-OBS wagon and although I didn't notice any difference in the ride, it did seem a little flatter through the corners. That's about the only thing I noticed.

Personally I think the OBS in Canada is overpriced, so I'd recommend paying more attention to the RS wagon, particularly the RS wagon Special Edition (the one with a sunroof) if you can still find one. There are a lot fewer differences between the RS and OBS for 2005 than there were for 2004, but for some reason they made the price gap larger for 2005 instead of smaller.

The OBS gives you heated seats, fog lights, the outside temperature display, and a few extra accessories, but it's not even close to 4000 bucks worth. Save your money and go with the RS or RS SE.
  • billmchalebillmchale Member Posts: 107
    How come you get the sunroof in the Impreza Wagon and we don't in the USA. It just aint fair :(. About the only thing that is keeping the Impreza from being at the top of my list for my next car is that you can't get an Impreza Wagon (Or OBS or WRX either) with a sun roof. I know its silly, but I have become quite fond of having one and use my current one all the time.

--
    Bill
  • damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    We also don't get heated seats for the OBS or the RS wagon, unlike you lucky Canadians. On the flip side, you have Subaru of Canada. From what I've heard, you can keep it. Now if we could share Subaru of America and get sunroofs in our Impreza's in return...well, that would be OK, right? Heh,heh.

-Dan-
    Yeah, you guys get all the cool stuff. Like heated seats on plenty of models, and unique special edition models. Then again your prices are higher and service is not as good.

SoC did not match SoA's 8/100 warranty for the head gaskets, and that's a biggie.

-juice
    Yes, Subaru in Canada has made some interesting decisions on pricing, marketing and service.

As far as the sunroof goes the OBS is the only wagon that you can't get with a sunroof here, so also being a sunroof fanatic I had to have an aftermarket one installed. Works great and I use it all the time. But if I was shopping now I'd pick up the RS SE wagon, with the sport interior, factory sunroof, spoiler, 6-disc CD, etc. That's an attractive package.

I recall there being an OBS SE in the US that we didn't get, but there wasn't a sunroof in that one either. Guess SoA figures Americans don't want them.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Yes we do have a discussion on the Impreza sedan but it was archived. I reopened it and you are welcome to get it revived! Here's the link: Subaru Impreza.

Have fun!
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you haven't stopped in to meet the Subaru Crew at one of our weekly chats, well, tonight's the night to give it a try!

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • pl67pl67 Member Posts: 1
    Hey,
    Quick question. My front bumper piece of my 2004 impreza was hit, but the rest of the car is totally fine. Does anyone know the approximate cost of replacing the front bumper on the impreza? any help would be greatly appreciated :"> :sick:
  • enjoienjoi Member Posts: 1
    Hey there, i have been an avid reader of this forum for about 6 months and now i actually have something important to post!

Anyways, i have a 2005 OBS SE which i absolutely love. The best car i have ever driven and there is only one think i dont like about it. I have never been a spoiler kind of guy, but the only way to get an SE was with a spoiler. Every other option in the package was an incredible deal, but i just cant stand the way the spoiler looks on this car. It is just not for me. Not to mention the fact that it really gets in the way when i have my skis on the roof rack. I always have to watch out and make sure i dont hit the spoiler on my skis and ding up the back, it is quite the pain.

I am wondering a couple of things. I know the panel on the top of the tailgate comes off, so i am wondering if there is anyone out there who can tell me where i might be able to find a woodland green pearl tailgate panel without a spoiler. i would be willing to trade with someone if they are interested. But if anyone knows where i can find one i would love to know.

next, i have spoken to a couple auto repair shops and all of them tell me it would cost me about 300 dollars to take the spoiler off, weld up the holes and re paint the panel. one of them said that it is a very invasive procedure and he wouldnt reccommend it because of future corrosion possibilities. The other told me it would be a problem.

I would just like to know what anyone thinks about this, and if anyone has any other suggestions. Who wants to help me out and tell me what they think i should do? do i have any options? Hope to hear from someone soon! feel free to e-amil me, mmatson@uvm.edu

Regards,
    Matson
    Maybe you'll find a wrecked one here with the hatch intact:

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

That's a junk yard that specializes in Subies.

Same color? Odds are slim. To repaint would cost a couple hundred, so it may not be worth it.

pl67: use the same place to find a front bumper. Should be $150 or less.

-juice
  • skiliftskilift Member Posts: 6
    Anyone have any idea how involved replacing the front bumper cover on an '04 OBS is? I have been trying to decide whether to make an attempt myself, or just take it to a body shop. Also, for anyone who is interested: I have found my OBS to be bulletproof when driven in a reasonable manner no matter the conditions (including up steep roads with 1+ feet of fresh snow over a layer of packed snow/ice). However, I would not recommend repeatedly and intentionally putting it sideways on a narrow, snow-covered road (don't worry, the road was deserted) to see if you are able to pull it out of the slide. After two successful corrections, I missed the third. Luckily, all I hit was a snow bank. Unluckily, I tore the narrow strip of the front bumper cover that runs under the license plate. Lesson learned.
  • tjump42tjump42 Member Posts: 3
    I'll mostly second your statement damish ... I just "put down" on a RS wagon yesteday, hopefully taking delivery today, and since I mountainbike quite a bit poor-surface roads are de-rigeur for me.

I drove the wrx, rs, and obs models of the impreza and pretty much liked them all, and ended up deciding the rs was best for me.

I didn't, in the end, want as much power as the wrx has, nor the fuel bill, and probably not the insurance.

I found that while the obs would have been exceptional on the poor roads, I did not like the body motion that I got when, er, manouvering the vehicle somewhat, compared to the stiffer more road-oriented rs.

I know that I'll pay with some more vibration and bounce, and needing some more attentive driving on some of the crap roads, but seeing as I never had much problems with my old honda civic years ago I figure I'm still way ahead of the game there, and since most of my driving will in fact be paved I'm going to be happier with the RS.

But like you said ... which are you going to spend more time on ... dirt or pavement.

I'm probably also going to miss the extra power outlet that's in the obs, but not enough for the xtra $$$ of the vehicle. :^)
  • wonswons Member Posts: 10
    I have to sell my car, so I put an ad in the local paper, but have gotten very few calls. What is important to include in an ad? I have an OBS, but I wondered if people get confused seeing Impreza and OB together. Not Subie fans, of course, but the general population. I'm in lower MI, several Subies around. Maybe the used car market just isn't very good right now.

I love my car, I'm selling only because of a back injury which makes it difficult to sit in a bucket seat or drive a stick shift.
    Is definitely a buyer's market, not a seller's. Discounts on new cars are so heavy that most people just buy new.

When I look in an ad, is MUST include the following info or I won't even bother calling: asking price (most important) and whether that's OBO or Firm, miles, tranny type, color, condition, year, and important options. If you have service receipts mention that. If state inspection is required before the sale and you've done it definitely mention that as well.

Put a For Sale sign on the car itself. Also consider an ad on one of the web shopping sites like Cars.com or Craigslist.

-juice
    I must add that you should DEFINITELY call it an Outback Sport in your ad, NOT an Impreza Outback. Nobody has heard of Impreza - I learned that quickly when talking to people by phone when I sold mine three years ago. Plus, lots of people know what an Outback is - when they call you just have to make sure they know your car is the "smaller, faster version" of the Outback.

Also, it can't hurt to include that it is AWD in the ad. Yes, Subarus are all AWD, but it is a selling point and the buying public is notoriously ignorant on things ike that.

Timing - sell it in October or November, when the first snow forecast comes...

-juice
  • wonswons Member Posts: 10
    for all the good info! I had a feeling that Impreza would just confuse folks. I did put all the important stuff in there, except mpg and maintenance records. And, I wish I had the luxury of time to sell this car, but I haven't driven in 4 1/2 months...and now that I'm feeling better, I can't wait to get on the road. Just a shame that I can't drive my favorite car!

Now to change the ad. Thanks again, everyone!
This discussion has been closed.