Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• dresselwerksdresselwerks Member Posts: 2
    I own a '97 Impreza OBS and I have just installed a draw-tite hitch (fantastic alternative to OEM hitch). However I am having trouble with wiring. Can I please get some advice on the following:

(1) Where is the exact location for the factory plug-n-play adapter for the trailer wiring? I have looked in the spare tire area and cannot find it there. Anyone know?

(2) Is there a cheaper alternative than the $90+ subaru plug-n-play harness? If so, could you offer what to do in detail? I have a draw-tite brand harness and I've wired it in but cannot tell if it is working properly. I feel I've hooked it up correctly, but am unsure if the draw will be too heavy on the electrical system.

I've searched the forum but cannot find the answers to these questions. I'm moving to Denver from San Diego on Friday and I'm planning to tow a small 4'X8' Uhaul with my couch in it (load will be less than 1000 lbs) and I'm worried about getting the wiring sorted out. I will drop $90 for the subaru wiring, but I'm worried I'll have trouble finding the place to plug the wiring into, and also worried that the part won't arrive in time for my move. I fell ill for 2 weeks and wasn't able to get to all of this until recently! Any advise would be greatly appreciated, thanks!
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    On my Forester, it was in the spare tire well, towards the back wall near the bumper. IIRC towards the passenger side.

-juice
  • jbolkajbolka Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2004 OBS and am about to move from the West Coast to the East Coast, transporting everything I own in my car. I recently purchased a Yakima Rocket box (wt. 45 lbs) and will be transporting my bike (25 lbs) on my roof rack as well. The stock Subaru roof rack is rated at 100lbs (which would inhibit me from transporting many items in my cargo box given that 70 lbs. are already accounted for, thus making it's purchase almost worthless). My question: has anyone successfully transported more than 100 lbs. on their stock Subaru roof rack a long distance w/o problems? Thanks for any input.
  • dresselwerksdresselwerks Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your answer juice. As I feared I still did not find the plug (my car was rear-ended and perhaps the shop didn't replace this part?). Anyway, I installed the draw-tite trailer harness and I hope that works with the system okay.

Has anyone heard of using a non-subaru trailer wiring setup?

To lessen the draw, what if I removed the bulbs from my tail lights while my trailer was attached?

Thanks for any further advice!
  • blangeblange Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking about purchasing a 2000 Impreza Outback for my son to take to college. It has 140000 miles on it. Is there anything in particular look out for as I am not familiar with this car. Thanks in advance for any help.
  • ericf1ericf1 Member Posts: 54
    So no safety updates for sure for 2006? It seems a shame if true- I don't think I can wait for 2007 and I really don't think I'll purchase a car that doesn't pass side impact tests this time around.
    At that mileage make sure they have receipts for the schedule maintenance. The timing belt should have been done at 105k, and by now basically every single thing that is scheduled to be replaced should already have been done.

'00 so check the head gaskets for oil seepage, block should be oil-stain-free. It was covered for 100k miles but not 140k, no way. Also inspect both rear wheel bearings, listen for noise. Brakes should be smooth, no pulsating.

With age and high miles it's all about how it was taken care of.

-juice
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    I just purchased a 2005 OBS, Aqua Blue Met/Crystal Gray Met trim. It is a very nice looking car. Actually I got it for my wife but I will be the one taking care of it. It has the Special Edition Package with the rear spoiler, armrest extension, 260 watt audio system and auto dimming mirror with compass. My wife liked how it drove (reminded her of her 1990 Maxima). We had to make sure our dogs (Retired Racing Greyhounds) would fit and two of then do just fine. Seems solid and rides well. But then again it only has 104 miles on it. I was surprised by the oil change interval. It says 7,500 in the book but I do Mobil One and a new filter every 5k on my other cars and will keep that up with this one but will get rid of the original oil at 1k along with the filter.
  • damish003damish003 Member Posts: 303
    Congrads on the purchase there, Paul, and welcome to the Subaru side of the forum. I got my wife an 05 RS, and drive an 04 OBS myself. I'm sure you and your wife will really enjoy the car.

Depending on how you drive, you're probably safe with oil change every 3000-3500 miles. 5k seems a bit too long.

How do you like the upgraded stereo? Worth the extra $ ?

-Dan-
    Under the "extreme" driving schedule, which most people qualify for.

-juice
    Dan, thanks for the note. My wife thinks the stereo is really great. I made a few CDs for her and so far so good.

On the oil change, the eternal discussion. I use Mobile One on all my vehicles and the 5K with filter seems to be fine. My wife had a Probe GT and she gave it to her dad with 85K on it and it is now up to 135K and does just fine. It is personal preference. Will just have to see how it goes.

I am disapointed that Subaru still uses timing belts and not chains. I have a 2003 Suzuki XL-7 and it has a self adjusting chain. The probe had a belt so that is $300 or so every 60K. Oh well, such is life. As they say: If Mama's not happy, no one is happy". She is happy so we move on.
    Well, the first tank of gas was good for 23.9 MPG. That is a nice change from the 19 to 20 that the Nissan got or my XL-7, although the XL-7 gets about 20. I guess as it breaks in it will get a little better. This was about 50/50 with the AC on for a good while.
  • paddykpaddyk Member Posts: 23
    28mpg. Most driving was on a long country road drive. Less than 50 mph with very few stops. Last week got 26.8mpg with a mix of city/freeway.
    I have been very easy on the engine during the first 1000 miles. Less than 3000rpm and light on the accelerator. Next week I will hit 1000 miles and will start to drive more normal. Want to see how the car feels running the rpm's up close to redline a few times.
    Bought the OBS to save a few bucks on gas and car price. Hope I'm not too disappointed in performance since I have a direct comparison in the car collection (the wife has a Forester XT). So far the OBS handles great. I wonder if there is much of a difference in handling between the OBS and the RS Sport wagon.
    Some time this summer I will have to try the OBS and the FXT in an autocross to see how they do. I normally run a Miata.

paddy
    Paddy,

Since you're wondering if there's a handling difference between the OBS and the RS wagon, since I own both I'd say that the RS is a bit tighter than the OBS. If you drive primarily on highways and two land roads, the RS is a bit more fun. However, try taking a RS off-road, like forest trails and such. Not much fun there...the OBS is much better I find.

Your OBS will never compare performance-wise with your wife's XT. It's reasonably peppy, but the XT will blow the doors off the OBS. Of course, your gas mileage will be much better.

If you actually take the OBS in an autocross, please post here about what it's like. Sounds like a blast!

-Dan-
  • skiliftskilift Member Posts: 6
    I don't know about handling in an autocross, but my observations up and down mountain roads are that the OBS has slight (not excessive) body roll moving around tight curves and that it tracks very well at speed around curves if you are accelerating through the curve. It feels a little uncomfortable coasting around curves.

As to gas mileage, I've had my OBS for a little over a year now, with just under 20K miles, and I usually get between 29 and 31 mpg with 30 mile commute (average 60 mph) each way to work, running a/c on the drive home, and typically going up and down mountain roads (paved) on the weekends. With the ski racks on (no a/c ;) ), the mpg drops to about 25 or 26.
    Reports sound good to me, hope the numbers stay high like that.

-juice
  • 10ch10ch Member Posts: 5
    After years of salivating over nearly every Subaru in the product line, but most consistently and frequently the Outback Sport, I have signed, sealed and (impatiently expecting) delivered on one of my very own.

So my first question. Premium fuel in the OBS?

Is it a must? A highly recommended suggestion? Or not necessary?

If it's not a must, but highly recommended, please tell me the benefits so's I can smile with satisfaction as I pay for very expensive fuel.

Thanks,
    Beck
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Regular ol' unleaded will suffice in your OBS. Congrats on your new Subie!

-Brian
    I just bought my wife an OBS last week and one of the criteria was that it NOT require or recommend high test. We had a Probe GT that ran high test and we both said never again. Regular is just fine and I do not even think high test is mentioned in the owners manual. She only has 350 or so miles on her's but she really likes it. Sunroof will go in next year. I have a hard time trying to figure out why it is not an option on the OBS but is on the others. Oh well. I guess you can tell I am from the 50s, we call it High Test, today it is Premium
    I saw a picture of the 2006 with the "Alfa" front end. Ugly. I am very glade I purchased a 2005 for the wife. PHF
    I think Regular is even recommended. No reason to use premium on the 2.5l.

-juice
  • skiliftskilift Member Posts: 6
    When I first got my OBS, I tried them all: the first 3k on 87, the second 3k on 89, and the third 3k on 91. I didn't notice any difference in fuel efficiency, power, or engine sound. So, now I stick to the less expensive (relatively speaking) 87 octane. I do notice a difference between Shell and the rest, though. For some reason my OBS gets better mileage and seems to run better on Shell gas. This is compared even to Chevron. So, if I was to recommend anything about fuel, it would be go with a good name brand gasoline and skip the cheap stuff.
    Thanks so much for all the advice - your experiences have saved me some significant clams.

I pick up my new OBS tonight!
    Congrats on your new OBS. My wife has had her's for a week now and really likes it. I am happy I purchased her a 2005. I do not like the front of the 2006.
    What color did you wife get? Did she get the SE?

And where can you see the new look of the '06 model?
    It was the SE. She ended up with the Aqua Blue Metallic with the Crystal Grey Metallic trim. I went to several dealers to see what kind of deal I could find and was told by several of them that this was a new color for 05 and to get it if i could find it ;and that it was hard to find. I have not seen the color on any other OBS. The current issue of Autoweek has a picture of the 06. You can also go to www.cars101.com and look up Subaru information on it and there is a picture. Hope you enjoy it, my wife does. This is our first Subaru and everyone we know that has one thinks they are great so we took the plunge.
    Ha! Well there will be another one on the road 'round these parts. That's the same color/trim I got as well. :) I think it looks especially nice w/the interior and orange in the headlights, but I do admit that I am obsessing.

Doesn't hurt that I'm Tar Heel born and bred either, but that's another post altogether.

Thanks for the link.
    Beck
  • lumbarlumbar Member Posts: 421
    OK, here's a good one. One of the plastic things that's on either side of our OBS rear cargo cover--it fits into the small grooves at the far back of the vehicle and holds the cover fully stretched-- fell off when the screw holding it came loose. Needless to say, it immediately disappeared. I've been unable to find one at a junk yard since, as we all know, Subies rarely end up in junk yards. According to the dealer, the part is not available separately and I have to buy an entirely new cargo cover for mucho dinero, which seems foolish since I already have 99.9 % of one. I've tried a few unsuccessful workarounds but am now considering trying to cut a piece of wood to fit the slot and the cover, which seems like a big hassle for a small part. Suggestions?
    Good luck. My wife's OBS did not come with the smokers package and I went to get the lighter but it is not sold separately. I have to buy the insert and lighter. I had a Ford windstar and wanted to install the overhead console for sunglasses, garage door opener, etc. It is sold in pieces and costs a bundle. That is just the way they do it. Find a junk yard that will take a "standing order" for the cargo cover and wait till one comes in. Best of luck.
    From what I found out you got lucky. The Subaru dealer in Tysons' Corner VA had to go to Pennsylvania to get the color for a customer. It is funny about the OBS. I went to several local subaru dealer web sites and most only had a few OBS/special edition. The great majority were the WRX sedan or TSi sedan. Very few wagons and I for one think the wagon is the best looking and most practical. When we took it for a test drive we drove it home and made sure the dogs would fit in it. Two fit really well and that is what we wanted to make sure of. We have a van when we need to take all five. I am looking at getting an L.L. Bean at the end of the year. The B9 is nice but not really practical for what we need.
    Yeah I've had to wait an entire week for the delivery of the aqua blue. But I suspect it'll be worth it. The dealership I went to only had 3 OBS's and a TON of other WRX wagons. Every color, lots of options... sheesh! I totally agree w/you, the OBS wins for me, especially since the WRX wagons I saw weren't equipped w/higher horsepower.

I can understand that some are not into the two-tone, but for those of us who are more sold by 'rugged' than 'sporty'... well it was right up my alley.
    Both my wife and I like the two tone. Our van is like the OBS. It is a light blue over silver. It just looks nice. Enjoy.
    Anyone do the extended warranty on the OBS or the Impreza in general? I have talked to several people who bought them and no one really thought that it was needed. One person had a Legacy Outback and all that ever had to be replaced was the beverage holder. Also, what prices were paid if you did get one. My wife keeps her cars forever so if we got one it would be for as long as possible for the most miles. Thanks, 5G.
    We have one on the Legacy, and even though we have not made a claim we have used the roadside assistance portion that comes with it. The dealer really rolls out the red carpet, too.

-juice
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Extended warranties are designed to make lots of money to the salesman and dealership, plus the insurance provider. So by definition, most people do not recover their investment.
    An SoA rep told me the dealer makes money but Subaru actually takes a small loss from warranty sales. It's more about establishing good will and repeat customers than it is about profits.

-juice
    I guess a lot depends on how comfortable you with the vehicle. I have a 2003 Suzuki XL-7 Limited with the normal 3/36 but also a 7 year/100k powertrain warranty. I had an 01 and loved it so I picked up a 03. I trust the quality and with the powertrain covered I would be talking power excesorries, stereo, etc and they have proven to be reliable. The OBS is the normal 3/36 with a 5 year/60 k on the powertrain. My wife keeps her cars forever so if I were to get one it would be for the longest time and most miles. This is my first Subaru but I have heard nothing but good things so I a sort of stuck but I do have 3 years to decide.

Has anyone seen the Subaru extended warranty on sale some place? I have seen Ford and several others on sale from various dealers.
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    Perhaps, but I know for a fact that the combined profit for the dealer and salesman is at least 50% of the cost of the warranty. I know from personal experience.
    That is about what I understand. I may make them an offer and see what happens.
    Note I did say the dealer makes money. I think these get marked up something like 40% by dealer, i.e. margins are high. Ask to see their cost book and offer $100 over what they pay.

-juice
    I have two other vehicles along with my wifes OBS: FWD Ford Windstar and a 4WD Suzuki XL-7. On the WS, as with most FWD cars I keep the tire pressure as high as the sidewall allows so the tire does not "Roll Over" on the outside of the tread and thus even out the wear. I can usually get 80 to 90K out of a good set of tires (with proper rotation). On the XL-7 the board here has discussed it may times and it is the consensus that keeping the pressure high will extend the life of the tires since they are not the best quality. However, I have 13k on mine now and all seems well. Rotated and balanced at 7.5 so all seems well. This is my first AWD so I was wondering if there was any special trick with air pressure on the OBS or just stay with the factory settings and rotate and balance.

I would think it would be different with the Hot Rods (WRX, etc) but any thoughts would be appreciated.
  • subaruqueensubaruqueen Member Posts: 6
    10ch

I work and live in your area. We have three aqua blue metallic outback sport special editions in my dealership...one of which I intend to purchase later this month, but you are welcome to one of the others. I work at Southern States Imports in Raleigh. Check the website if you'd like to see that the one you like is there. Call and ask for Melissa if you have further questions. I'd love to see one go to somebody as excited about that car as I am. :-)
  • subaruqueensubaruqueen Member Posts: 6
    salespeople don't normally make anything from extended warranty sales, that's a product sold by the Finance Manager
    On both of my Impreza's, I maintain the factory recommended settings, which are 29 rear and 31 front. Maybe 32 up front, I'm not positive at the moment. I've tried driving my OBS at higher PSI, but find the ride is just too hard. I rotate the tires every 5k or so, making sure not to overtighten the lug nuts. Works just fine for me.

-Dan-
  • cbmortoncbmorton Member Posts: 252
    I'm running 35/32 on my '04 OBS. This is 3 psi higher than Subaru recommends. I usually find that for my tastes going 3-4 psi above manufacturer's specs improves handling (probably a small boost to fuel economy & tire life as well) without a significant ride penalty. So far (almost 2 years) I've been satisfied with this setup, but it pays to experiment. You might find, as damish003 did, that going with a higher pressure doesn't work for you.
  • deskdesk Member Posts: 20
    Other than height, is there any significant difference between the Outback Sport and the Impreza RS Wagon? I've been hooked on my '98 Forester forever, but am considering letting my husband drive it around town and getting a new smaller vehicle for my daily highway commute.

I'd commented elsewhere that I want AWD to give me some confidence when driving in rain, but after reading some threads, maybe I'm making wrong assumptions. Will hydroplaning be more a function of tires than of front, or rear, or all wheel drive?? Plenty of other people drive two wheel drive vehicles, and they don't seem to be bothered by rain!

Any suggestions on the OBS vs the Imp. RS Wagon? Mileage is my main concern after safety.
    Thanks,
    Desk
    If you like the two-tone and want roof rack cross bars, the OBS is a bargain. Coming from a Forester it would also feel more familiar. In your case I'd suggest that model.

-juice
    We addressed this exact issue a couple months ago for someone else. Take a look at page 140 and read from there.

The decision is a bit subjective, but both vehicles are just great. Ride-wise, either one should be an improvement from your '98 Forester.

Average mileage is anywhere from 24-29, depending on time of year and how it's driven.

-Dan-
    Thanks for the comments. My wife seems to like it the way it is so we will leave it be for now. I do not mind a firm ride but since she is the primary driver it is up to her.
    We are off for out little trip in August and I will be taking lots of pictures of cars we can not get here. I may stop at a Subaru dealer or parts store and see if anyone makes the window vents for the OBS. Since they are frame less windows none of the aftermarket places make any nor does Subaru. I will post a few pics upon my return.
This discussion has been closed.