Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Impreza Outback Sport & TS

Comments

• beanboybeanboy Member Posts: 442
    Anybody wish they made the digital compass standard? With the outside digital temp gauge standard, figured they would have tossed in the digital compass along with the other active lifestyle options they made standard with the OBS.

-Beanboy
  • celeste2celeste2 Member Posts: 362
    I'll have a look at that later today. If you come down and take it off for me, I'll take you to Kennedy Space Center!
  • ramonramon Member Posts: 825
    Kennedy Space Centre!!!! Man o Man!!! do u have special pass or can anyone just go? What so special to go with you?! hahahahah....
    No, I don't have a security pass. My hubbie has some kind of pass for labor relations that I think allows him in certain areas, but yeah, anyone can go, it's cool....

I don't think my rack is like yours, it looks like a phillips screwdriver will remove the crossbars, but then I'm not sure about the runners or whatever you call them, that the crossbars are attached to. Did you just take off your crossbars or also the runners they're attached to?
    what are those? are u refering the rubber/plastic strips that runs parallel with the car? if so nope. I too out the cross bars and that triangle thingy with the OBS words on it. Keep the strips. It covers up the screws and holes.
    Just washed my car yesterday. Arrived at a traffic light which leads up to a curvy hill. Here's what ensued..
    I was sitting waiting for the light to turn green when a red car pulled next to me. I wasn't bothered. But when i glance to the right there was this middle age man with a daughter. The man kept gesturing me to roll down my passenger side window. So I did with some hesitation...
    father : Sweet car you got there!
    Me : Err...thanks.
    father : is that 2001!!!
    Me : Yeah. (I thought how can he tell! I can;t even tell a 2000 and a 2001 RS apart!)
    father : must be fast. Pretty good 0-60 times too.
    me : I guess. (7.7 seconds fast? I don't think so...)
    father : how long did you wait for it?
    me : not long.
    father : very nice. Functional hood scoo too.
    Then i realised he thought my car was a WRX. hahahah.... however before I could say no, the light turned green and
    father : Let's see her go!!! Go! Let's Go! Come on!!!
    And father and daugther there hauled [non-permissible content removed] with their Legacy L.
    Caught up to them at the other side of the traffic and proceeded to blew past them at the uphill curve. Gave them a wave and a honk and proceeded on my ways.
    Well looks like the aging RS still gets attention. hahahaha.... It made my evening pleasant. she still got it!
    We don't have too many Subies down here, so my stories always have to do with Honda types trying to be obnoxious. One night I was following my husband home from church because we go the short way thru a kinda rough part of town--a honda kept playing around, switching lanes, I'm not sure what he thought, I guess he couldn't figure out why my hubby would change lanes and I'd seem to follow, a game or something. Then he cut me off at a red light. So the next red light, my husband swerved in front of him to cut him off, then back into his own lane. That guy was so ticked, rolled down his window, one finger peace sign, etc., and said "What'd you do that for? I didn't do anything to you!" My husband says, "That was my wife you cut off back there!" It was pretty funny.....

I don't have anything like triangle thingys and they don't say OBS sport in any place you can see, so I don't think we have the same rack. yea, I'm leaving on the strips, unless I decide at some point to get the holes filled, primed, and the roof painted...not now, tho'. On mine, it looks like you just remove the crossbars and leave what the crossbars are mounted to on the car...
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    is on now! (6-7pm Pacific/9-10 pm Eastern). Hope to see you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html
  • gotenks243gotenks243 Member Posts: 116
    "Anybody wish they made the digital compass standard? With the outside digital temp gauge standard, figured they would have tossed in the digital compass along with the other active lifestyle options they made standard with the OBS."

Well the compass is on the auto-dimming mirror right? They really can't make it standard without making the auto-dimming mirror standard, and that'd jack up the price a bit. I can see why they didn't do it.

Mike
    I get a little suspicious when a company tries to put too many "Standard" options on a car that is a decent price. Pretty soon they want to charge so much for the car that it's in luxury class. I don't really need a compass or a temp. gauge for that matter, and would rather instead see improvements made to the paint quality, interior carpet, etc. that make the car overall more sound. Just my opinion.
    you have in a car the more chances it iwll break...the more you end up paying when the warranty's over.
    And not to mention adds to the weight of the car! =)
    I've heard how frustrating it is when doodads malfunction in a car and frivolous it all seems. Hey Ramon, you never did say what kind of flag that is. Doesn't look Canadian--is it Ontario?
    IF you don't want doodads, get the TS! That's what the base level is there for. The same thing can be said for the upgraded wheels and tires on the OBS. Heck, same can be said for power windows/locks and in dash CD player! OBS is being marketed as an active lifestyle vehicle, and costs about a grand more than the TS. Only real thing they have to market is the silly outdoor temp guage and the "heavy duty raised suspension" which really isn't all that impressive, as well as its looks. Figured a small ~$1xx piece of optional equipment that fits that image would work.

Heck, they should even make the rear diffy protector standard on it, =)

-Beanboy
    Saw a silver 02 OBS. Looks really nice. At first I thought it's a WRX wagon from the rear. Then I saw the OBS emblem. Maybe it's the light, but the lower tutone is hardly noticeable with the silver.
    celeste : the flag belongs to Swaziland. It's a tiny African country IIRC.
    Actually Subarus in general are sparce in terms of doodads compared to other car mfgs.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    does look nice. I've seen several. The color interaction between the silver and the color of the bumpers is unusual, and it flat out works.

Bob
    I thought that flag looked familiar, but couldn't remember where I saw it. I think it looks cooler than Canada's, no offense. Did you ever see the Indian Ocean there? Gee, what a change of climate, now you poor boy, you're freezin' all the time. Well spring is close. Did ya take off your snow tires yet?

Beanboy: OBS instead of TS because I love cruise control and they won't offer it on the TS. I've also spent almost 30 years in cars with manual windows and they are a pain when dealing with toll booths and parking garage slips. I'll take my power windows, thank you very much, and the same goes for power outside mirrors, my manual mirrors on my other cars just didn't get adjusted if it was raining hard, and how can you reach across to adjust an outside mirror on the passenger side with stopping and getting out?

However, I probably could do without alot of the other stuff but like the two tone paint on my car and since that's the way it comes with what's in it it's fine with me. The tape player is OK but I'm always having to make my own tapes off my CD's and tapes take up alot of space, so at some point I'll probably add a CD player to mine. However, again, the thought of having someone cut holes in my dash and monkey around with things doesn't thrill me because as of now I have absolutely no dash rattles, and don't care to have any, either.......
    Good to hear from yet another person about the silver being a good combo. That green was a real turnoff from the pictures I've seen. The stupid dealer near me doesn't even have any WRX's yet, not to mention any new RS's or OBS's. All he cares about are Outbacks and Foresters, unless he's hiding his WRX's out back and I wouldn't put that past him. Probably doesn't want people asking to drive them. What a jerk.
    hey celeste, i'm not from swaziland. i just use different flags for fun. Before that I was using an Afghanistan flag. =) I might change again.
    u mentioned that u didn't want holes to be drilled on your dash fr the cd player. well don't fret. there's no holes needed. if u can change a computer's harddrive, u can do this too. all u need is a special wiring harness that connects the audio wires from your OBS to the desired CD deck. very simple. I switched mine already. I really hate the RS' sound system. the Cd sucked too.
    I thought the TS had power everything and has a single disc in-dash CD player. The only thing lacking was cruise control. OBS adds the temp. guage bigger wheels/tires, raised heavy-duty suspension and a few interior and exterior enhancements.
    Ramon: I guess you're saying the tape deck pops out of the dash, huh? and you weren't left with any rattles? That drives me mad. Well, you'd better be careful using middle eastern flags, you don't want a car bomb or anything. Yikes! Did you already replace your speakers? What CD player did you get?

Beanboy: I thought the TS was the base model and thought that's what I've heard, which seemed logical that they would force you into the next pricier model up just to get things alot of us would like to consider standard. Alot has been said on the Outback Sport club at Yahoo and that's what I believe I heard there.
    well this is how I did it.
    - open up your arm rest compartment.
    - u will see 2 plastic buttons
    - pry them open and unscrew the 2 screws.
    - now lift the "premium" plastic console that resides on your handbrake and power mirro switches. There is an adapter underneath it. Unplug it. It is for the power mirrors
    - next pry and lift up the wonderful subaru plastic console that is on your shifter.
    - u can unscrew the shiftknob and boot to take the entire console out. It's up to u.
    - now the tricky part. use a flathead protected with tissue or someting and pry the plastic frame that goes around your tape dack and climate control.
    - don't worry, it won't break. As flimsy as they look, they are quite hardy! i've abused mine quite a bit and it's still fine.
    - so before you would be the bare metal casing that holds everything together (tapedeck, climate control, empty cubby hole....) only unscrew the the 4 screws that holds your cubby hole and tape deck.
    - take the entire casing out.
    - unscrew the screws that hold the tape deck to the metal case.
    - rip out the wire connectors.
    - replace the connectors with the wiring harness from the audio store.
    - put on your new CD deck
    - reverse all the steps mentioned. and voila! done. but do test it first before putting everything back.
    - it's really quite simple.

all the best.
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Just a quick note to say that I am transitioning out of the hosting gig...Pocahontas will be my new and more than able replacement, so be sure to welcome her with outstretched cyber-arms. I will be remaining in the Town Hall department here at Edmunds, but my responsibilities will shift from the boards. I'll try to stop by from time to time. Thanks for being such a great board, for a first time host!!

Tara
    insert title here
    has in terms of comfort and convience items like air, power locks/windows/CD player. Only thing lacking is cruise, which is very silly.
    Ramon: Thanks for those magnificent and embellished directions. When my kid was vacuuming the car he was taking some of that stuff, like the console over the shifter, apart, so I'll have him do the install. What brand CD player do you have?

Beanboy: Well from Subaru's standpoint it's not silly at all because if you really want the cruise control, which alot think of as standard, you are forced into the higher price range. Just a marketing ploy.
    I got a Clarion ProAudio DRXsomething.... go to crutchfield.com. I think u can find it there. Got it over a year ago for my old car. The Clarion fits perfectly without jutting out like so many aftermarket decks. I love it. Sounds great. Most important thing after u got a new CD deck is to go get a wiring harness for the deck and your car's audio cables!
    is also lacking roof rack cross bars, rubber rear cargo mat, protective rear bumper skid mat, 16" tires, and an ambient temperature gauge. All worthwhile features, IMHO.

Granted, everything but the 16" wheels (I suppose you can add those too) are options on the TS.

Bob
    So, you have your tape deck and your CD player both, eh? Where do you get that wiring harness, at Radio Shack?
    not radio shack. =) Go to a reputable car audio place. They should have one. Mine costs a few bux. No biggie. If they are nice, they would even do the crimps for you. They should tho. It's out of their good heart to do so. If u're buying your CD deck from a custom audio place, they should provide u the wiring harness too.
    No the tape deck is sitting around somewhere in the house. The stock CD player is being sold to a guy this weekend. =)
    If I picture this correctly, the new CD player will go where the tape deck is presently, and the tape deck is history, right? Wouldn't I be able to get that harness from Crutchfield if I get the CD player there?
    i dunno about getting the wiring harness from crutchfield.
    yes the tape deck would go bye bye. Unless u want to get another adapter to hook the tape deck or yoru CD up as a secondary player in the 2nd DIN slot. that's how my stock tape/CD player works. The tape deck acts as the primary player, the CD player is daisy chained to the tape deck for controls and power.
    Just get the new CD deck celeste.
    The new Cd player goes in the little cubbie below the present tape deck, and the old tape deck receptacle is there as a dummy?
    it fits on where the old tape deck was. That is if you want to replace the tape deck. Actually u can put the CD player wherever. above the cubby hole or below. It's like a tray really. Think of it as an oven trays. There are 2 layers right? U can either put it on the top or below. It's a matter of placememnt.

However if you want to retain the tapedeck, u would need to get a CD player capable of piggybacking with the stock tape deck. which means it needs some kinda cable to connect with the tape deck and a smaller wiring harness to draw power from the tape deck. Why would u want to keep the tape deck anyways?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Just a reminder of the Subaru crew chat tonight at 6-7pm Pacific/9-10pm Eastern. Yours truly will be hosting once again. Looking forward to it, and I hope to see some of you there!

http://www.edmunds.com/chat/subaruchat.html

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I wouldn't keep the tape deck because I can burn my own CD's at home, but was trying to get a mental picture of exactly what space it would fit into. Hope you're enjoying some spring weather now, it should be starting to warm up a little!
    spring is here. and it's so warm! it's only 11C!!! I'm gonna go blading after work! wahoooo!!! I don't know why, but I am so happy whenever spring comes. I grew up in a sunny country but summer time in Canada is always so joyous for me. I should be so used to the sun by now right?!
    Since we have a '96 Impreza Outback and a '01 Forester S Premium, I was curious as to how the new OBS compared with either of our current Subarus.

In short, I liked it a lot. The power seemed more than adequate. It's certainly no WRX (I've driven two of those), but it's no slug by any means. I absolutely blew away a CRV at an impromptu stoplight grand pix.

The car handles better than either of our current Subarus. I really wish the All-Weather-Package that our Forester has, was available, however.

BTW, the dealer I visited had a yellow WRX there with WR blue super graphics plastered all over the vehicle. It was the same graphics used on the factory rally racers. It looked hideous. I've always said there is no such thing as a bad color, only bad color combinations and/or usage. This car perfectly illustrated that point perfectly. It was Aztec-ugly.

Bob
    Did it shift any differently/smoother than your other vehicles? After almost a year, mine's getting a little easier to get into reverse, it used to be a little difficult. (2000 OBS)
    are automatics. However, I've driven many a 5-speed Subaru, and the new Imprezas are the best shifting I've ever driven. Not at all "rubbery" like earlier models. The shifts are precise and direct—Honda-like, if you will.

Bob
  • momgraymomgray Member Posts: 18
    Hi - and let me be upfront with my THANKS for any help/suggestions for this.

I have been eyeing an 1998 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport here in the Windy City (actually, just north of it), and if the test drive shows no problems, I think I have some good numbers for negotiating ... except one:

It looks like it has an aftermarket ('cause I don't see it listed as an option here at Edmunds when checking the TMV) power sunroof. Does anyone know how much value that adds (roughly, I know it can be a regional thing)?

Other details:
    White exterior, gray interior
    36.2K miles
    Auto (okay, not preferred, but as I don't know how to drive a stick ....)
    airbags, power windows, powerlocks, cruise, A/C, CD/Cassette player, tilt steering, cruise, luggage rack, ABS, fog lights, tinted privacy glass (does this also affect price?) and the power sunroof.

The dealer (a subaru dealership) is asking 13995
    I was thinking of shooting for 12500 ... Edmunds estimates the "Dealer Retail" as 12045 (without the sunroof) and that's what I'm basing the 12500 on. Now, if I could get it for closer to the 9600 (+ sunroof value) trade in value that would be great.

I really appreciate any comments and suggestions - and hope to relatively soon be a proud owner of an Outback Sport :-)

Julia
    The sunroof is definitely an aftermarket item. Subaru never has offered a sunroof on that model.

I can't speak to the price, as I have not shopped that model per say. We have a '96 Impreza Outback automatic; and it's been a great, trouble-free car.

It's a shame you can't afford (or don't want) a new '02 Outback Sport. That would be my choice hands down.

Bob
    Be sure to really check that sunroof to see if there are any signs of it leaking. Or, ask to take it for a test drive and run it thru a car wash. I just have never heard of an Outback Sport having a sunroof. You're sure that's not a fullsize Outback wagon? Even if it is, I'd sure as heck want to check the water tightness on a sunroof of a used car! What if that's why they got rid of it? It seems to have pretty low miles.

Here's another source of information: go to Yahoo and search under clubs for "Outback Sport". There you can ask members who have several different year models of Outback Sport, and they are probably more knowledgeable than I am since I've only owned one for a year.

However that power sunroof has me baffled....
    I know of a few OBS owners who went aftermarket with the sunroof. IMHO, I rather have the mfg do the sunroof as they would keep to specifications and bending rigidity of hte car. aftermarket ppl.... it's really iffy.
    rsholland : the new OBS is more expensive now. Still a good buy tho for those who can afford it. Otherwise the previous gen OBS are still a great piece of machinery.
  • momgraymomgray Member Posts: 18
    I will certainly take it to a car wash - excellent idea to test how it does with water.

I know it's certainly an outback sport edition, so the power sunroof is probably (unless someone from the dealership had enough pull) aftermarket.

I appreciate the feedback - while I would like to buy a newer model, there are budget constraints, as well as my own personal opinion that it's hard to justify spending $$ for new car smell when the value will go down tremendously as soon as you drive it off the lot. Of course, if Subaru ever offered something like 0.9 for 60 months with no down, I might get over that :-)

Thanks again.
    I agree. But in a "perfect world," I'd rather have the new OBS.

Bob
    I'd get a 911 Turbo Carrera 4 and say buh buy! ;-)

hey the new STi might be out as soon as 2003!!! whoohooo!!! gotta start saving money again.
  • brekkebrekke Member Posts: 304
    I'm also debating to go WRX vs. OBS. I know I don't 'need' a WRX, and I don't really want a turbo. I'm just looking for a less noisy (than my current car) ride that handles well and has plenty of pep. According to Bob the OBS is a fun ride but WRX owners seem to be having a blast. I don't want to spend all that money on a new car and regret not having enough power for passing, merging or whatever.

I usually drive 65-70mph(assuming 55mph speed limits), I don't race and I don't know if I would do any mods. Plus the extra $5000 and assuming extra insurance costs would be a stretch for me. I guess I'm just looking for assurances that with the OBS I'll be able to keep up with traffic/execute emergency manuevers,etc. in other areas where posted speed limits reach 75mph.

-Caroline
    sure u will be able to keep with traffic with your the new OBS. even the 2.2l OBS with a manual is pretty peppy. I would actually go with a manual 2.2l OBS than an auto 2.5l OBS.
    How're you finding your 2.5 at highway speeds? Much different than the 2.2? You going to add on a turbo? They are expensive, that's for sure.

The new Car & Driver has an article on the 2002 Porsche 911 GT2 (456 hp). That's kind of a perfect world, except I'd hate to have to worry about scratches on something like that!!
    By the way, if you do run that car thru the car wash thought I'd warn you that some water will get in the front windows just a little near the front. I always hand wash mine but water restrictions forced me to use a car wash a few months back and a little water squirted in. I heard from some other OBS owners this can happen with high pressure water against frameless windows, so just have a paper towel ready.

In the real world of driving you will not have water squirting in your windows that hard, and it never leaks when we hand wash with a hose. Of course, the sunroof may only leak under high pressure, too. It would be nice if you could check that sunroof with a regular hose first, just running water over it.

Just thought I'd warn you so you don't get put off by it.
    it's a perfect world, my 911 turbo C4 would auto fix itself from scratches and talks to me in a seductive voice. =)
    my RS is just fine. Installed that ganzflow intake on and put back my 18mm rear sway bar on. Just in time for the weekend's autoX. Needless to say, it kicked rear [non-permissible content removed]. came out second in my class out of 5 cars. Also bea ta whole bunch of FWD cars mod or stock. And I'm still using my crappy RE92s. Can't wait to pu ton some serious rubber! =) the ganzflow rocked 110%!!! For the money, I can't ask for more! Installation is simple.
    Turbo will come in time. But as always, that comes later after I get my priorities straightened out.
This discussion has been closed.