Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    You're right in that weight increases traction which compensates for the greater weight you have to accelerate. So a heavier car can generate the same cornering loads that a lighter car can. And you're right, AWD is a great feature if you're trying to lay down 400+ hp without lighting the tires up all the time.

Cars like the M5 and 911 Turbo are incredible machines with great handling - I guess my point is that they offer their performance in a way that has little relevence to most drivers and that smaller, less powerful, lighter weight cars have more "approachable" performance that is relevent to the sport driving most drivers do.

If you read the tests of cars like the Z06, 911 Turbo, and M5, you see that they were tested on the race track because that was the only way to get close to their limits. So while they are wonderful machines when driven between 80-150 mph on smooth fast roads with no traffic or cops, I don't get to the track very often and I don't think many people do. These are great cars for car journalists, race drivers, and super enthusiasts who don't mind going through $1000 in tires in a weekend. And great cars for the few who are really skilled and are willing to risk their life and license more than I care to.

Finally, I don't have much need for a car that is constantly yawning back at me and saying "Is this best you can do?" To me, driving a 150-hp car is a little like fishing for 5-lb trout with a 2-lb test line - much more fun than winching them in on 20-lb test.

- Mark
  • brightnessbrightness Member Posts: 40
    M5's are no great auto-crossers. 911 turbo is somewhat better, thanks to its lighter weight (only a six cylinder, relying on turbo charging to get the 400bhp), and shorter wheel base. But a turbo-charged Miata probably can beat them both at auto-crossing, which is probably the physical test that best correlates with the feel of "nimbleness." The feel of nimbleness relates to fast transient response. You have to have light weight and short wheel base to get that. However, so long as the underlying propulsion system is the same (ie. IC engine burning conventional gasoline), you have to have the bulk to generate the 400 bhp necessary for straight line performance in super cars. For a 1.8L four cynlinder to put out that kind of horse power, you will have to have someting like 20+psi mega turbo and/or 12k rpms, like the Honda Civic of the 1980's that dusted all the other competitors at the CART races and eventually got banned because of it; the engine had to burn tulene mixture, not conventional gasoline that you get at the pump.

In real life driving, short wheel base makes for bumpy ride, and 2400lbs light weight among 3500lbs fleet average makes you a prime candidate for road kill.
  • willygleewillyglee Member Posts: 8
    My dealer says the conti tires included with the 17" wheels in the 3 series wagon are quiet soft. Does anybody know how much mileage I should expect from a set? My concern is the actual cost of a lease that I am currently thinking about.
    I'll take a shot at a few of your questions:

1. Auto transmissions are separate options on all the 3-series cars. I think the BMW web site also confirms that the premium pkg and steptronic are separate options.

2. I think you'll find the BMW and VW similar in reliability. Once out of warranty, the BMW will likely be more expensive to repair, simply because it is a more expensive car that caters to a more upscale market. The BMW's longer warranty and free maintenance might offset this, especially if you don't anticipate keeping the car for a long period.

3. You can't get AWD on any US BMW wagon, so if you want an AWD wagon, your choices are the VW, Audi, and Volvos. Mechanically the BMW's AWD option on the sedans is similar in function to the VW system although mfg by a different supplier. The systems on the Audis and VWs are the same as both companies are associated.

It sounds to me like you want AWD, like the VW wagon, and can't tell any functional difference between the VW and BMW. In this case, I'd save some money and get the VW. It is also a larger car than the 325iT, almost as big as the Audi A6.

Finally, don't compare prices by what the salesman "offer" while you are strolling around on the lot. Way, way too many variables to tell if you are getting a deal or not. The proper approach is to test drive a number of cars you are interested in and then go home and use web sites like edmunds.com (or the mfgs) to price out exactly the car you want - from this, target one or two cars you are interested in and get all the data on MSRP and dealer cost. Then do your haggling over price, which BTW, can be done via fax, phone, or email without every having to step foot on a lot.

I purchased my 325iT at a good discount without ever stepping foot on the lot.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • genakhoogenakhoo Member Posts: 4
    I went through the same dilemma a few months ago. I chose the BMW wagon because of three things:

1. I liked its handling better (I drove the 323, not the AWD). The Passat had a touch more body roll through hard corners and didn't seem quite as crisp.
    2. I read a lot on both bimmer and VW enthusiast web sites. It seemed (through anecdotal evidence only) that bimmer complaints were limited mainly to minor squeaks, etc., but that the Passat had left people stranded. So it appeared that while overall reliability is comparable, I was worried that if something went wrong with the Passat, it was more likely to be catastrophic.
    3. Finally, I think I just loved the BMW wagon more on an aesthetic/gut level.

The bimmer wagon is smaller than the Passat though, and more expensive as well. I think you'd be happy with either car. You could consider cargo/price versus handling/luxury/upscale name.

More than 3,000 troublefree and glorious miles!
    Gena
  • mikahakmikahak Member Posts: 5
    I had a 2001 Passat GLX 4motion Wagon on order and I cancelled because of the B to B warranty, only 2 years is kinda scary. The fact that VW has an iron engine block instead of aluminum turned me off. My 7 year old Mazda MX6 has an aluminum block, I don't know why VW is so far behind in that respect. Also I decided that I had to have Xenon HID headlights, my Mazda's lights are pathetic so I wanted great lights on my next car.

I have now ordered a 325iT. The VW does offer many goodies for the price, if I equipped the BMW similarly it would have topped $42k (MSRP). I had to give up the AWD and auto with tiptronic(steptronic) to keep the price down on the 325iT. I wouldn't put an auto in a BMW anyway, especially one with only 184 hp. This was not an easy decision, giving up all the luxury features in the VW all for $31k was painful.

The BMW AWD system is supposed to always have a higher % of power to the rear wheels than to the front. This is supposed to maintain the sporty handling characteristics that BMW is famous for. The VW will proportion more 60% power to the front if that's where the best grip is.
  • MorganConradMorganConrad Member Posts: 21
    As I understand, the BMW AWD system is fixed at 67% rear, 33% front. If, for example, the rear wheels start slipping, it still sends 67% of the torque to those useless wheels. For the record, this trikes me as quite silly. In the VW/Audi (and most Subarus), the torque distribution starts at 50%/50%, but adjusts depending on which wheels have traction.
  • bvkempenbvkempen Member Posts: 1
    I'm planning to buy a 325 sportwagon. I'm living in NC. Is the AWD worth the extra $1750?
    BTW Does someone know a dealer in this region that wants to accept about $1500 over invoice?
    Thanks.
    Whether AWD is worth the cost is a personal decision. I used to live in the RDU area and I recall the snow was pretty limited. So, for me personally, I'd skip it. The AWD version is considerably heavier and handling will also be less crisp. You've got the added mechanical complexity as well. But if it gives you peace of mind, perhaps you want it anyway.

If you do go AWD, you might want to consider the stick. If you burden the 2.5L with both AWD and step, it will become a bit lethargic. In fact, with a step and AWD, I'd probably vote that the Passat is a better car for this mission.

Don't know about your local market, but I got about $1500 over invoice on my deal. If you fax around your request, I'd bet someone will take you up on it.

Good luck,

- Mark
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    Have you ever noticed that most of the vehicles in the ditches on a snowy highway are SUV's? Maybe it's just my imagination, but the problem with AWD is you can go like a bat out of hell, but you can't stop or maneuver better than anyone else (perhaps worse because of the increased weight & height). People get over confident when they don't feel their tires slipping and drive too fast for the conditions.

I've been driving to work for 13 winters in Iowa and Wisconsin with 2WD and never missed a day of work because of weather. I don't think you need to lug around $1700 of dead weight 360 days a year just for the occasional snow that the plows can't take care of.

On the other hand, if snow in NC is worse than I think, save $1200 and buy a set of snow tires and rims from Tire Rack. Not only will you be able to go like a bat out of hell, but your car will handle and stop (read, avoid accidents and ditches) much better than with AWD. Also, if you happen to hit a curb on a slippery curve, you'll trash a $50 steel rim instead of a $200 polished aluminum rim.

We bought a set of Blizzaks (sp?) for our Volvo V70 wagon last year and are very happy with the performance.

Just my $.02 worth.

-Murray
    I look at it this way. As an average, most of us have maybe ten situations a year where we have to deal with significant snow. Seven of the ten, a RWD car like the 325i with any decent tires will get through fine. Two of ten, a RWD car with good snows will get through fine. One out of ten, you need AWD to get through. But that is the day that I really don't want to be out on the roads AT ALL.

If I do have to be out that day, I'd rather have some steel wheels, good snow tires on all four wheels, and a set of chains in the trunk rather than AWD. Then you have a good chance of stopping as well as you are going.

AWD is a little like an insurance policy for something you probably won't encounter. If it makes you sleep better, and you don't mind the significant handling, expense, acceleration, and service tradeoffs, go for it. It is a little like an extended service policy - it doesn't make economic sense, but if it gives you more peace of mind and the expense isn't significant to you, why not?

- Mark
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    As the owner of both a fwd V70 and 4wd Rodeo in Canada, I agree with the above posts. I equate the need for awd to be the same as buying a pickup for the 2 times a year you need a sheet of plywood from Home Depot. In fact, I prefer to drive my V70 with snow tires than my Rodeo in the winter.

Steve
  • rleerlee Member Posts: 8
    I picked a stick AWD because I go where snow is. I was stuck once in Stowe, VT with my RWD truck in a parking lot, don't want to it again...
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
  • glxwagon4moglxwagon4mo Member Posts: 121
    The only other wagon with AWD AND manual would be the Audi allroad -- it has a 250 hp biturbo V6 with a 6-sp manual transmission as std. Unfortunately, the base stickers at about $42, but it is seen as a direct competitor to the Volvo XC. The unique feature of the Audi is its variable height suspension.

George
  • nancyznancyz Member Posts: 4
    Any suggestions for getting a good price on a 325ix wagon in the NYC metro area? My local dealer is willing to take $600 off retail price, but with a $4K markup over invoice that isn't much. Edmunds TMV is equal to retail and greenlight.com is over list.
    Also, does anyone know if the 6 disc DC changer is the same for a new 325ix as for a '98 528ia? I am selling the 528 and know that I won't get much more for the car with the CDX in... If no, are there comparable or better aftermarket changers available that work with this car? $200 for the 1 CD in dash and $600 for the changer doesn't seem like a great deal.
    Any suggestions for other cars that I should look at before committing to the 325? I want AWD and manual shift. The Subarus seem a bit tinny. I looked at the A4 but need to special order and wait 4 months to get manual and the dealer said that they were going to stop making the A4 Avant in the summer. I don't really want the last off the production line. Loved my Volvo wagon but the XC doesn't come in manual. Thoughts?
  • larssunlarssun Member Posts: 14
    No idea about price, I live in Vermont.
    The CD player will not work in the 325. My wife had a 98 528 with 6 changer. I wish I would have
    bought a manual would have added to the already
    fun car to drive. I test drove them all and the only car that I would have bought would have been
    the BMW X5 with the sport package which is the best of all worlds.
    LARS
    Lars, Do you have snow tires on yours or are the stock all weathers good enough for VT? I drive north every weekend in the winter to ski and have to negotiate a fairly steep driveway. The SUVs have no problem but all others are challenged by this hill.
  • larssunlarssun Member Posts: 14
    I am trying the all season(stock tires) for this winter. So far I haven't had any problems but
    I haven't had to climb any icy mountain roads and in Vermont ALL the roads going to ski areas are the cleanest in the state(we need the money).
    My wife bought a 330ci convertible and we orders
    winter tires for it and I might next year.
    These cars are remarkable you just can't get them to spin out they just take over a straighten things out and return control back to you.
    Lars
  • bulldogmanbulldogman Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a staion wagon or mid size SUV. Am looking at a number of cars including BMW 3 series wagon, Nissan Pathfinder, Saab 9-5 Wagon, and reluntly Ford Explorer. Own a Volvo that has been one problem after the next, and also have a Nissan with 218,000 miles on it and still going strong. I really like the little BMW wagon but am concerned about their reliabilty issues. Can some of you out there offer feedback and your experiences? I really don't want to buy an Explorer, and the Pathfinder's rear seat is small and I'm afraid to buy another swedish product. Thanks,
    I've been looking over the options list on the 325i SportWagon and I can't determine if auto climate control is standard or if I have to buy the $3500 premium package to get it.

After owning a Volvo with auto climate control, I now consider it almost a must have option. It's so nice to get in the car, have it warm up quickly, but not too warm, without fiddling with the heat control two or three times. Unfortunately, my wife drives the Volvo most of the time.

To those 3 series owners with or without auto climate control, does the heat system work well? Is it worth having auto climate control or does the manual control work better than most? I don't really need a moon roof or motorized seats, although I would like cruise control and the trip computer.

On the other hand, what's a couple more thousand for a dream machine?

-Murray
    Auto climate control will be standard on 3 Series wagons starting with March 1, 2001 production cars. So will fog lights, heated mirrors and washer jets, and cruise control w/ multifunction steering wheel. Good deal.
    It sounds like they're adding options...is the base price going up? Is there someplace on the web to view the new options packages?

-Murray
    Base price is not going up. Just increasing the value of the car to be even more competitive by adding options to the base. Talk to your dealer as this info is not yet on BMW USA web site.
  • mikahakmikahak Member Posts: 5
    The computer on my 325iT indicates 22.5 mpg, this is cumulative, I now have 3000 miles on the odo. and have not reset since about 100 mi. I have the manual tran. and frequently rev to 6K rpm. I have not done the math to check the computer's accuracy, has anyone else? And what has your mileage been? Many thanks...
  • ahuiahui Member Posts: 15
    I have read on the 325 sedan posts that owners have had a lot of difficulty using baby seats in them. Does anyone know how well the wagon accommodates them?
  • lmarcheselmarchese Member Posts: 2
    I have decided on the 325 wagon with white paint/premium package/upgraded stereo and in dash cd. The MSRP is $34,420. I have talked with the dealer and it looks as though they want to get more of these out on the road in San Diego and will discount that. I am trying to find out what people have ben paying over invoice?

Leane
  • RCPackardRCPackard Member Posts: 7
    Leane, I priced a 325it out of Chapman in Scottsdale,AZ at $2250 over invoice. This was only intial offer so imagine there is some negotiating room on the down side. However, you may want to check eurobuyers.com, they are advertising 500.00 over invoice (you have to add their fee of $200-500) which would at worst be 1000.00 over invoice which is the best deal I have heard of. We decided the 325it was too small for our needs (2 kids) and are loking at the 525iT.
    Good luck, Randy

P.S. I am in San Diego, which dealer have you been working with?
  • ping14ping14 Member Posts: 1
    Leane,
    I live on the east coast and just purchased the 325it. I visited 3 dealers and two were 1500 under MSRP, while the third was 1500 over dealer invoice. Based on some of the earlier posts I felt the 1500 over invoice was as good as it was going to get, so I bought it.
    Good luck,
    Patrick

PS.. Randy, if you are looking at the 525it, you may want to consider the X5. My salesman said that it was less expensive and felt it offered more features.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    To get a good, quantitative review of the whole: RWD vs. FWD vs. AWD vs. "the heck with it, I'm buying a set of winter tires" question go to:

www.caranddriver.com

and do a search for "winter-traction test"

Basically, in the situations where you are on snow or ice and can get into real trouble (shoot, I can't stear, I can't stop in time...) you're better off spending LESS money on high-end winter tires than an AWD system. That reflects my experience to date - I live in Brockville, Ontario, Canada and drive between here and Ottawa, Montreal or North Bay and I am really amazed at how much better my Michelin Arctic Alpins handle than my previous all-seasons. From what I've seen/heard of AWD drivers, that's confirmed.

Even from a dead-stop they offer superior traction, and at speed it's very much like driving in the warmer months (what Canadians call "summer" ;-)
    I’ll second the recommendation for winter tires. I put the cheapest winter tires and a set of used rims on my Miata one winter and it literally changed the car from one of the worst cars in snow I’ve driven to one of the best.

Think of it this way: AWD helps you GO, winter tires help you GO, STOP, MANUEVER and basically stay out of trouble. Winter tires and rims cost about $500 while AWD costs about $1700.

It amazes me that anyone would buy AWD for snow and NOT buy winter tires.

-Murray
  • lmarcheselmarchese Member Posts: 2
    RCPackard - thanks for the tip - Eurobyers is a cool site and I look forward to seeing what he comes back with. I am working with San Diego BMW although as I get closer to purchase I am widening my net - A gent by the name of Paul - nice and easy going. It seems like a good time to deal on these cars. Still thought about a 2000 for a better deal but you can't beat the extra ooomph of the 325-------

L
  • mattshobemattshobe Member Posts: 2
    hey 3 waggoners,

i test drove a 325xi with the steptronic earlier this year and while i was generally impressed with the car as a whole, I felt the engine + powertrain combination was starved for power. By the time those 184 horses get through the slushbox and the 64-36 power distribution, there's just not enough serious *go* left!

so i'm curious: are there any plans to bring the 325's wagon+awd+steptronic configuration to the 330 platform for 2002?
  • mr_belvederemr_belvedere Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I recently ordered a 2000 325xiT with an automatic transmission (I was in a pretty horrible motorcycle accident a year ago and can no longer drive a manual). I am now a handicapped driver and can't test drive cars because I need to mount specialized hand controls. However, I went ahead and ordered my 325xiT -- given my research and experience, it seems like the right car for me.

My question is: can 325xiT owners please tell me if the BMW's 184 horsepower is adequate to pull the extra weight of the wagon and the all-wheel drive machinery given the power-sapping nature of the automatic transmission? By "adequate" I mean: is the car comfortable merging in heavy traffic, passing on the highway, etc.

Thanks very much in advance, and I'd love to hear from any other handicapped BMW drivers out there in Edmunds-land.
  • jbwcfpjbwcfp Member Posts: 86
    I saw on speedvision last night a road test of a awd 330 wagon. Anyone have any idea when we will see a 330 wagon in the us?
    Jim W
  • uge123uge123 Member Posts: 100
    I'm trying to order a 325iT with manual because there are about 10 of them in the US. I can't seem to find ANYBODY in the Chicago area who will come down more than $700 or so off an MRSP of $34000. Has anybody had any better luck than me?

Also...has anybody run into any kind of serious limitations secondary to the small trunk on the wagon?

How about leather v. leatherette? Too hot in the summer? The one we tried with leatheretter didn't seem too bad yesterday in the hot sun. Thanks!
    oh... by the way...

Edmunds calculates the TV of this car at just about $200-$400 off MRSP. How accurate are they?
    Try www.eurobuyers.com. Steve handles purchases of BMW for clients who pay a fee (I think it is between 200-500 dollars depending on car). He is currently advertising that he can get a 325iT at no more than 500 over invoice. Even if you add his fee that is still a pretty good deal. Let me know how things work out.
    Rand
    To add amplifying info to last post. I just checked Steve's site and the 500 over invoice was for purchases by the end of February (a bit dated). You may still want to give him a call and see if he can work out a deal.
    Randy
    I spoke to Steve at eurobuyers today.

I would consider going with him if not for the fact that I'm on a tight schedule with specific desires on the car. I need the car by late June at latest, and there just aren't any manual sport wagons with the sport package in existence in the entire country!

Steve said that he could also arrainge an order for about $1000 above invoice, depending on packages ordered...but once again...we're closing out changes to the week 22 production and that's the latest production I can tolerate. Well..guess I'm stuck.

The best deal I could get in the Chicago area for the 3 wagon was $800 off MSRP..which is about a 7.5% markup from invoice. It's not great but tolerable...especially after overhearing so many other customers in the dealerships signing for MSRP.
  • sbronsbron Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know when information on the 2002 wagon will start to become available?
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Here's a direct link to Edmund's Spin Around Town with the 2001 BMW 325xi, by Karl Brauer. What do you think?

Thanks for your comments. ;-)

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Boards

• bmwagonmasterbmwagonmaster Member Posts: 150
    I think you better read the very accurate Edmunds review of the 2000 323 wagon. I own one, so I'm obviously biased about BMWs. I didn't need AWD, but have test driven the new xi. There's a couple of things to consider-- and you CAN compare a BMW to a Subaru. First, if Edmunds (or anybody) really paid full MSRP for the 325xi wagon, then they shouldn't be allowed to buy a car. And if Edmunds (or anybody)can really find a WRX wagon for less than MSRP plus $$, then they can buy my next car for me! Second, if I want to put my family in a rally car (hey, it's Subaru's own advertising and nearly every review I read said the WRX feels like one-- which I'm not sure is a compliment ...)then I'd have to hire Richard Burns as our driver. And that would be an even more expensive option than an in-dash CD in the BMW (;->
    From Edmunds own review of WRX:
    "..a setup that foregoes comfort in it's quest for unmatched performance. If you're looking for a great day-to-day driver that provides a little fun on the weekends, look elsewhere; this isn't the car for you."
    I did look elsewhere, and found a great day-to-day driver that's ALOT of fun EVERYDAY!

Sorry to be so long-winded, but you asked...
  • pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    Appreciate hearing your point of view.... We look forward to hearing more about your BMW 323 wagon experience. Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks/Station Wagons Message Boards
  • barresa62barresa62 Member Posts: 1,379
    Have you ever driven a WRX wagon? They are very easy to drive at docile speeds as well as break-neck rally speeds. They also possess some of the most comfortable front seats I've ever had the pleasure to sit in. And, yes, you can buy the WRX under MSRP. Go over to the Subaru Crew and read of some of the deals or i-club. I think that you have a fine car but please check your facts about the WRX before you post. Edmunds makes some good points about the feature content of the 3-series vs price in their review. I've driven both the 3-series wagon (2wd, not AWD) and the WRX wagon. The WRX is much more "fun" to drive. Additionally, Subaru's maintenance costs are significantly less over the course of ownership than BMW's.

Stephen
    4079 miles in my 02'WRX wagon (master) :-)
    Although I'm not quite sure why a Subaru owner would be reading/posting on a BMW board, I'm glad you like your wagon. Those sedan owners don't know what they're missing, do they? I drove 'em both too, and made my choice for the reasons noted above. I'm not really interested in checking out the Subaru boards because I don't own one. But let me leave you with a few more Internet WRX review quotes from various sources which I agree with from test-driving:

"Although I'd question Subaru's assertion that it's competitive with a 3-series BMW, it surely tries."

"..it's a hassle in traffic...the WRX is too intense for a commuter"

"(the suspension) makes for a stiff ride on backroads and a hard ride on the highway.."

"A factory rally car, for drivers on a budget"

Hey, maybe you answered because you liked my comment about Richard Burns--he's Irish, right?
    Hell of a driver. I actually like to watch WRC races on Speedvision and root for Richard. I just don't need a car to drive in my neighborhood like him, especially at your "break-neck" speed. Too many small kids and grandmas in the way, you know...
    "Although I'm not quite sure why a Subaru owner would be reading/posting on a BMW board"

I'm first and foremost an auto enthusiast hence buying the WRX made by "Subaru". I want a lot of performance for my $. I like reading about a lot of cars, test driving, etc. I used to sell cars as well. I was actually curious as to how this topic would respond after reading Edmunds' review of the 325ix wagon.

Regarding your reviewer quotes:

"..it's a hassle in traffic...the WRX is too intense for a commuter"

Absolutely false! One of the great attractions of the WRX for me and other owners is it's dual personality. It's a docile commuter that can be easily turned into a lion above 3000 rpms. The AWD also adds a extra measure of safety and confidence, especially in traffic.

"(the suspension) makes for a stiff ride on backroads and a hard ride on the highway.."

Again, don't know what the reviewer was smokin' or what cars he is used to but the ride on the WRX is solid (read "firm) but well-damped and has excellent recovery over bad roadways.

Instead of quoting a reviewer, you should risk a little revelation and visit the Subaru Crew or the i-club. You would read what potential buyers and actual owners are experiencing both about the car and the buying experience. Heck, you could do this w/o revealing anything to your BMW brethren. :-)

BTW, regarding your first comment, it sounds a little like the awful Bimmer arrogance rearing its kidney-shaped head. I hope not. You've made a good choice in automobiles just different from mine.

Take care,
    Stephen
    My apology--no insult or arrogance intended! My opening line was just a reaction to a number of posting "trollers" over in the 3-Series Sedan Board. They seem to want to post about how great THEIR non-BMW car is on a BMW Board. I honestly don't understand why, but that's the freedom of the Internet. And I just meant I don't read the Subaru Board because I'm not shopping. I only have a limited time to play, and I'd rather keep up on the 3 series news and chat that improve my ownership experience. The rest of playtime is spent watching Speedvision...
    You seem like a nice guy and since I'm an "auto-enthusiast" too, I'll consider us friends who are having a little fun bragging about their respective cars. And my head does resemble my
    BMW--it's smooth and shiny! Now what about that Richard Burns--is he Irish, or is that Colin McRae?
    Thanks for the great reply. You are absolutely right about the trolls on the internet. I know that BMW forums and those that own them have had to put up w/a lot of "mine's better than yours" BS from the like. There's no denying that BMWs have been and still are the overall target for most performance vehicles. I guess this sort of behavior comes w/the territory. :-)

I'm actually seeing this a lot w/the others posting "mine's better than yours" regarding the WRX. I guess, I too need to get a bit thicker skin. Maybe I can learn a thing or two from the Bimmer gang (?) :-)

Thanks for the compliment. Now, about the rally drivers, I'm not sure about Richard Burns but pretty sure that Colin McRae is Irish (or Scottish). Oh man, I'm beginning to feel like the "ugly American" who doesn't know his geography or nationalities. BTW, I'm only of Irish heritage. The flag by my name is a result of my wanting to show this heritage. I just changed the city & country over in my profile to Dublin, Ireland.

Take care. I'll try and visit here to see if you're posting.
    ( like the smooth head description, LOL)

Stephen
This discussion has been closed.