Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 3-Series Sport Wagons

Comments

• cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    I assume you mean,"not buy" in your message.. It's safe to say that there will be things that will need to be replaced or repaired after 3 to 4 years. This would be the case in any car. I do agree that BMW may cost you a little more but this is the price you pay for driving this car. As would be the case with any European car. It's not a Toyota, although I don't think they are cheap to repair either. The decision to buy or lease will come down to your personal preference and financial situation. I won't go into the pros and cons because you have probably done your homework on this already.
    The other issue you mention is the new model in 05. As we all know,this is par for the course and no matter when or what you buy,it will always be replaced with something bigger,better,faster,etc.
    Will the new model be better? Technically,yes. Will it be a better car? Maybe.. time will tell.
    The thing with BMW and Mercedes as well is that even after 10 years,they still look good. The design is timeless with a very classic design.
    I personally chose to lease my 325 wagon for financial reasons.
    Good luck!
  • djw7djw7 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 323 wagon. Other than minor problems, it has been trouble free except for the windows. The passenger and driver side window regulators have been replaced twice each and the rears once. Living in Florida, the windows are not put down that much, so it's not overuse. The Dealership admits to a manufacturing problem, and BMW has no fix other than replacing with the same part that continues to fail. I've not seen this problem on this message board, and am wondering if I'm the only one with this problem.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    djw7- I believe I saw one other window problem mentioned here a while back. Try putting the word "window" into the "Search This discussion" box on the lower/right side. Also, you may want check in the Problems & Solutions discussion in our BMW 3-Series Owner's Club.

Since you mention you in Florida, I'm wondering if the problem may be related to the amount of humidity there. Just speculating. Others here may have more to add.... Good luck, and please keep us posted on your situation.

Revka
    Host of Hatchbacks & Wagons
  • rgnmstrrgnmstr Member Posts: 226
    Greetings, I'm about to take an early retirement deal and give up a company car. I'm looking for a used car based 4WD. I don't want to drive a truck. Because of the amount I want to spend I'm considering a 2002 325XI wagon, a 2001 Lexus RX300 or a Toyota Highlander. I just want a dependable quality ride to get back and forth from the boatyard. Tee hee. So far the Lexus dealer has pissed me off by acting like they would be doing me a favor by putting me on the waiting list for full MSRP, the BMW dealer salesman had the car wash kid show me a car and all the Toyota guy wanted was some cash today. Any opinions from a 325 AWD wagon owner? Thank you.
  • rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    We have a '02 325xiT and love it. It handles every bit as a Bimmer should. Other than it doesn't come with the 330 engine, we have no complaint. It does use a bit more gas than the sedans we have due to the AWD and the slight weight gain from that set-up. During this 12,000 miles period, it has been solid and reliable. We have not had one trip to the dealer for any adjustment on the car other than the oil change.
  • vstarlingvstarling Member Posts: 1
    Does somebody know where I can mount alarm
    inclination sensor on station wagon?
  • newienewie Member Posts: 15
    Hello, i am about to buy my first BMW and i need a wagon. i cannot decide if i should get the 3 wagon or wait until the new 5 is out??? does anyone know the main differences; is the 5 that much bigger? will it have a lot of problems being a new design? is gas that much worse? does anyone feel like the 3 wagon is too small, after the honeymoon period of purchase?
    Thank you!
  • imadroneimadrone Member Posts: 33
    Just put another 187 magnificent miles on our 2004 325iT today and find it utterly perfect for our needs. 3 Adults and a dog, primarily mountain roads, 26.53 MPG with sport package and 5-speed manual. Mother-in-law in passenger seat, and no complaints in even the tightest curves. Great road hugger. Just wishing for a 3.0 litre.
    Hi Newie. I went through this last summer. Although I wanted the 5 series wagon it was just a little more that I wanted to spend at the time.
    The one big plus for me getting the 3 series was that I was able to get the all-wheel drive and living in Toronto this winter,It has handled most impressively.Definitely a good decesion.
    Now,the question of size..
    I have 2 teenage kids and they never complain back there however,if you need to carry 3 passengers in the back more than ccasionally,then this is not the car for you.
    Since the cabin is quite narrow,and the transmission hump is quite large,it makes for a rather awkward position for the middle passenger.
    I have seen pictures of the new 5 series wagon and it is absolutely stunning and to my eyes better looking than the sedan. I have no doubt that it will be quite spacious inside however,it may still be a while before it's introduced to North America and most likely will not have AWD if that's important to you.
    If cost is not a factor and you can wait a while,I would suggest going for the 5 series unless you can try to get the older model. Some say it's the best BMW ever produced.However,you will not be dissapointed with the 3 series wagon. Go and test drive and you will see what I mean.
    By the way,it's been 8 months since I picked it up and the honeymoon is still not over.
    Good luck!
  • newienewie Member Posts: 15
    Thank you for your input. i think i will try to wait, but the catch for me is, i dont have passengers! just myself, the occasional friend and two mini aussies that go everywhere, to mountains and beach. that is why the 3 wagon is prob the best, however i wonder if i will feel like im the tiniest car on the road. the new 5 sounds dreamy. on internet searches, most are saying it will be here early fall, and my BMW dealers have told me it will only be AWD, which i really dont need. The mystery game seems a little silly, but i understand thats the way it goes. my biggest fear after having Toyotas up to now, is mechanical probs. The 3 wagon seems to have a great record, and i wonder how many new probs the new wagon will have. does BMW work out the kinks on the vehicles not yet out, for instance, the 5 thats new and out with current probs, would those be corrected this year before introduction of its wagon?
    Thank you
    If size is an issue,then definitley go for the 5 series. The 3 series is not huge nor imposing however,I've never felt that it was small when driving it. It's a very confident car and and is all about handing,balance and finesse..
    These are definitely not Toyotas or Hondas but they fair no worse than most European cars. In fact,BMW probably has the best reliability record of any European manufacturer except perhaps Porsche. As far as buying a car the first model year,I don't really put much credibility into this myth.
    The engine and transmission is the same one they are using in the old 5 series and they simply don't break. The electronics is probably the biggest issue with these cars but again,that would be the case in any modern day car.
    Good luck!
  • tel5tel5 Member Posts: 13
    I've narrowed down my choices for a new vehicle to these two. However, being a previous owner of Honda's and Toyota's (the tops in reliability), I'm somewhat concerned that after shelling out some decent bucks for either of these cars I'll keep shelling out the bucks for repairs and maintenance.

How about some comments that will help me choose. I'm sick of Toyota's and Honda's and want to try something different for a change.
    Does anyone know the ground clearance on a 325xi Sports Wagon? I cannot find anything in the BMW literature, on the BMW website, or via an internet search. Is the ground clearance a secret because it's so low?
    Being a BMW owner of a few 3 series with the '02
    325xiT, I can tell you I haven't been shelling out maintenance and repair bills as you had feared. the Sport wagon visited the dealer only once for oil change with another regular service dure in March. I am surprise dyou are considering between the 325xiT and the Volvo wagon. The latter is larger in size with quite different handling dynamics, in my opinion.
    Being a owner of a few 3 series in the family including a '02 325xiT, I can tell you I haven't been shelling out maintenance and repair bills as you had feared. the Sport wagon visited the dealer only once for oil change with another scheduled regular service due in March. I am surprised you are considering between the 325xiT and the Volvo wagon. The latter is larger in size with quite different handling dynamics, in my opinion. If interior space is your top priority, you should go with the Volvo with a question. At the time we were considering a wagon, we compared the 325 with the Audi A4. There are more similarities between these two. The BMW won out actually because of its more superior reliability, among other driving characteristics. It is ironic that reliability is your concern for the BMW.
    Thanks for your input.

I agree, comparing the XC70 and the 325xi does seem kind of strange. However, my spouse has a bad back and of the few SUV's and Wagons with full power passenger's seats, these two are the ones she finds most comfortable and adjustable to her needs "on-the fly".

Re: reliability, based on a combination of personal experience and research Honda/Acura and Toyota/Lexus seem to have consistently the highest dependability and reliability. Volvo and BMW both appear to be in the next tier and the relative reliability of these two brands was just one of the many selection criteria I'm attempting to assess.
    Now I see your point. I have sat on my friend's volvo before and I considered the volvo probably has the best and most comfortable standard seats in the business. If that is an important consideration, Volvo may be the choice. I really don't think the stadard seat on our 325 is that comfortable. For the SP, the seat is substantially better.
    Good luck with your wagon hunting.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    If you have to ask....

It can't be much. I doubt it is more than 5 or 6 inches.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Well, short answer is "same as the RWD". Interestingly, the additional 230 lbs of drivetrain improves the weight distribution and, likely, the handling!

It's a road car, so if the idea is to power through accumulated snowfall, it'll snowboard just like any other sport sedan or wagon in a big dump.
  • dmbeckerdmbecker Member Posts: 2
    I can shed some light on this for you. I own a 2001 XC. My wife drives a 2003 325xi wagon. As another message says, these cars are night and day. No doubt that the XC has some of the most comfortable seats in the industry. My wife's xi has the Sports Package with the Recaro-type seats, which I would highly recommend, since the stock seats are disappointing. Make sure you sit in them, though. The BMW sport seats are much more firm than the Volvo's, and although they give you great hip and thigh support, they're a bit tricky to get in and out of due to the high seat bolster. Also, they take some fiddling with to get the adjustment just right for you. The good news is a 3 way memory that lets you set your personal settings different from 2 other drivers. If you have long thighs, the standard seats are especially uncomfortable. Of course, the XC is much larger inside, so if hauling lots of people and stuff is an issue, get the XC. Acceleration-wise, my XC with automatic trans is on a par with the xi auto trans. Now to the crux of it -- if driving and handling are important to you, get the BMW! The Volvo is a soccer mom car and it will consistently disappoint you with its inability to nimbly handle back roads. Also, Volvo service has been annoyingly frequent and expensive. Volvo recommends oil service every 3,500 miles! My car has 58,000 miles on it and I've spent $800+ this year on service -- and only one of those services was an out-of-warranty service. I think new Volvos carry free scheduled maintenance now, but it's certainly something to look at. In contrast, our xi is just going back to the dealer for its first scheduled service this week - 13 months after purchase. By the way, my personal bottom line is that I've got a new 325xi wagon on order! Good luck.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I don't see a dedicated message board.
    How does the C240 wagon compare to the BMW 325 wagon as far as features, performance and price on 2WD and AWD models?
    I know the C has at least a couple more years its body style, whereas the 2005 BMW will be the last year before redesign or replacement by the SUV model.
    I may go to Europe next year for a month with 2 friends and a wagon would be nice to have for everyone's luggage if we decide not to use trains.
    Does either have a better navigation system? I checked a couple years ago and they were still using CDs instead of DVDs, so you couldn't play a music CD and use the navigation system at the same time. Very archaic.
    When the car gets shipped back to the US, I assume I would be able to carry two mountain bikes inside by laying them on top of each other on their sides (with a blanket between them to prevent scratches)instead of using a rooftop carrier. Is this possible with the rear seats folded down?
    Thanks for your input. You insight is particularly valuable since you have a daily side-by-side opportunity to make comparisons.
  • garydoyle1garydoyle1 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a 2002 325IT wagon. I've always had cars with all-season tires on them, so forgive the ignorance, but my question is: I have snows on the car now. Can anybody recommend a tire to put on for the warmer months? Should I just put all-season tires on there to save myself the trouble of switching twice a year? Would it be bad in the snow with all-seasons? Do I need new rims or wheels for different tires?

I have 17" wheels, by the way.

Any advice would be appreciated.
  • nedzelnedzel Member Posts: 787
    for winter. They are much, much better than all-season tires in snow. All season tires are fair when new. But after 15,000 miles or so, their traction in snow gets significantly worse (at least, that's been my experience).
    I'm about two weeks into ownership of my wagon, love the way it drives, but one annoyance is the doors automatically lock when the car is in motion, meaning I have to unlock the doors so everybody can get out, or pull the handle twice to unlock the doors. Apparently I have to go to the dealer and pay them $104 to 'deactivate' this.

Also the rear defrost automatically turns on when the heat is on, meaning again I have to turn it off each time I drive. Again, annoying.

Is there a way to do these adjustments myself? I hate to have to go to a dealer and pay that kind of money for something so silly. Technological overkill in the extreme, yes?
  • dan4dan4 Member Posts: 12
    I am in the final steps of car shopping. I dont like the sticker ( and have to give up starbucks to afford it) but I love the 325xi. Over dinner last night my asked me to look at the outback vs a 325 wagon. I was not considering a 325 wagon but trying to keep the peace. I need all of your help with a true insight. I cant see how I will beat the outback? I have not driven one yet but will do that today? any insight. Tomorrow is last day for the lease program on the bmw....thank you
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    I believe your dealer can program your wagon to not lock when the car is in motion. Not sure why your defroster turns on everytime. Mine don't.
  • mschukarmschukar Member Posts: 351
    I cant see how I will beat the outback? I have not driven one yet but will do that today?

If driving the 325 doesn't demonstrate to you how it "will beat the outback", then the BMW probably isn't for you.

-murray
  • dan4dan4 Member Posts: 12
    Murray:
    Guess your not married. Either way I drove the outback and I amgoing to buy the 325xi. Now, for a 325xi wagon, leatherette, heated seats, metallic paint, powered seats & moon roof. What should I be paying. dealer is giving me a 470/month 15k lease with taxes included. out of pocket is 1st pymt, security pymt, bank fee 525, mv 224, cap cost reduction 500. any help out there lease rate dies tomorrow. What if I wait?
  • sapessapes Member Posts: 3
    I am considering upgrading my Subaru to a 325i wagon and am struggling with whether I need AWD or not. We live in northern CA but don't do the snow thing too much (1-2x per year), and the weather is mostly rainy in the winter months (very rainy!). I do like camping and in the past have found myself on fairly rutted, winding dirt roads for miles heading towards a trail head or stream access. I've always used a Subaru AWD and 4WD for these purposes and found it sure and reliable, but was it really necessary? Invariable I'd arrive somewhere feeling like an accomplished off roader only to find several sedans (Camery's, Honda's, etc.) already there. Can a 325i wagon with good tires handle this type of activity, and the occasional snow trip, or should I get the xi package? The A4 or a Saab is the other consideration.
  • bo_chungbo_chung Member Posts: 61
    I would recommend the 325iT. If you don't do much snow driving, it's not worth getting the AWD. AWD slows down the wagon significantly. I drove both versions before getting the AWD. RWD feels significantly lighter. You'll get better mileage as well. Sounds like a good all season tires is all you need. I felt the need to get AWD since we've been getting around 30 inches of snow a year in the northeast.
    Bob,I certainly hope you mean the 3.0 engine and not the 1.8t... That engine is fine in the Jetta and the Beetle but hardly appropriate in a $45k car(Canadian$).
    From the Department of Anal-Rententive Car Guys: after I wash my white car, I spray on that foam on the tires that makes them shiny. But then when I drive it, black specks (a lot) end up behind the wheels on the surface of the car, both behind the front and back wheels. It looks bad.

Does anybody have a solution for this? Try a new product? Let it dry overnight?
  • veevee Member Posts: 6
  • daedae Member Posts: 143
    Get xiT for sure - but with a stick shift.

I live in north CA, and find that BMW's AWT to be far superior in handling to Subaru and Audi, and especially Volvo and Mercedes - forward balanced ones. It is not as good off road, but it still handles deep snow Tahoe trips better then many SUVs.

AWD helps not only in snow and rain. Yeah, yourdrag racing time will take a slight hit - but in a curve it is far more stable and easy to handle for hard driving then RWD and FWD.
  • bmbwbmbw Member Posts: 1
    Well, I had the same issue on my 2000 323 wagon. I am sure it is a manufacturing fault.
  • whibywhiby Member Posts: 2
    I fuully Agree Cabbatans Comparison between the 5series vagon and the 3 series, i purchased the 325xit Wagon and after 10 months Canadian Summer And Winter driving i Apsolutley love the car.It Handles great In Snow and ice.I looked at the Avant and the mb vagons and drove them all the 3 series is by far the better road car.My gand son plays goal in hockey and i have no problem getting his gear and sticks into the vaggon.I have regretted Buying many a car but this car i will keep with pleasure.
  • jamanjaman Member Posts: 3
    I've been looking at either an Avant or 325xit wagon. My concern with either is the amount of stuff they can actually carry. My wife and I are expecting our first child in the spring so we need to carry a stroller, etc. I don't want to wait for the redesign and would welcome your comments as to just how useful this car truly is for carrying cargo.
  • whibywhiby Member Posts: 2
    The load carrying capacity with the rear seats up is quite good.A folding type stroller would be no problem but if you wish to carry additional other large containers your stacking will have to be well thought out.With the rear seat down i carried a six foot step ladder quite easily with the hatch closed.The carrying capacity of the 325xit is probally the least effective selling point but the rest of the vehicle is a 10.My own observatios suggest that Both the Avant And the VW Have slightly Larger Storage capabilities But are not as much fun to drive.
  • truenorth1681truenorth1681 Member Posts: 4
    as i step on my brakes i can hear a thumping sound on my rear wheels is this a typical problem on wagons? sometimes i can feel a slight jerk.....anyone has the same problem? thank you.
  • mikeodmikeod Member Posts: 5
    I need new wagon immediately. Had stick. Want to stay with stick. Had snows on the 5. Should I go with the Xit or it?
  • augustwestaugustwest Member Posts: 1
    I am 6'4 and a half. I'm in the market for an AWD wagon -- either a BMW, Audi, VW, or MB.

I have yet to test drive a 3-series BMW, but I am told they are tight on leg room. Any hope of a lengthened "L" version?

Is the 5-series any better? I might hold out for the new AWD 5-series if it is substantially roomier than the 3-series.

Any other feedback on the other makes I'm consdidering would be welcome.

Thanks
  • mmmmishammmmisha Member Posts: 1
    Like Sapes at "To AWD or not", I'm in Nor California and considering buying a 2002 iT vs. xiT. Don't do much snow driving but like the idea of safety in wet conditions (especially for the wife and kids), but honestly found the xiT slightly underpowered -- though frighteningly good on the curves. A friend says the rear wheel drive bimmers have a real tendency to skid in rain. Any thoughts? Is there a noticeable difference in (a) handling, (b) acceleration between the iT and the xiT. (Incidentally, I've been looking for a month and have almost never seen manuals in either configuration.) Any suggestions would be most welcome!
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    All that is just wrong...

I don't have a wagon, but I do have a RWD 325i with sport package.. and, just today, I drove a 330xi as a service loaner.. in the rain..

All newer 3-series BMWs have stability control.. Getting them to skid in the rain takes some real work.. The AWD models don't seem to have any advantage in wet-weather handling over the RWD. In fact, the extra weight from the AWD, and the higher ride height make the AWD handle a little worse...

And, add about 0.5 seconds on your 0-60 run for AWD... plus there is a gas mileage penalty..

Unless you need AWD for winter weather, stick with the RWD models... The manuals are noticeably quicker, but probably hard to find in a wagon..

regards,
    kyfdx

P.S.: I live in the midwest.. I have winter tires on my car... My wife drives it to work every day.... snow and all... No AWD needed..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• squirtdadsquirtdad Member Posts: 22
    I'm in northern Cal also, and have been sort of watching the used market for a stick xiT.....they are very rare, a stick xiT is something the dealers just don't seem to order. I'm still going back and forth between an xit and subaru legacy gt.
  • cargal2cargal2 Member Posts: 36
    From my understanding, the xit wagons are not as plentifully made in general. I guess there's more of a preference for the new x3, and automatics in general. Sticks are usually a rarer creature in general.

Keep in mind, if you buy a new(er) BMW, all maintenance will be included, and can be extended up to 100,000 miles. You'll just be responsible for the tires/rims and inbetween oil changes. Subaru sometimes offers maintenance coupons, but the rest is really up to you...

Kyfdx, just curious. You said that you have a rwd bimmer, live in the midwest, and with snows haven't had any problems??? I've heard (which is why I went with the xit) that bmws are notoriously bad in the snow. During one of the blizzards, I had a loaner rwd wagon with a sports pkg. I got stuck. Well, what few cars didn't?

I had a blast driving the rwd wagon when the snow cleared, though. It was much lighter, and I could really feel the zoom-zoom from the rear.

On the other hand, the greatest pleasure I've had driving my own car is in really bad snow, and ice. It was a totally joy to drive it back from Philly, and watch everyone else struggle as the snow outbeat the ploughs through the Turnpike. It was like glue to the road, not one skid!!! On another night I even snuck out in the middle of real nasty ice to test it. No prob., either....

Otherwise, it's not as fun these days, and most certainly, the gas mileage on this car has been pretty similar to that of a thirsty suv.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    The key.. winter tires..

I also have the sport package... I wouldn't venture out in a dusting of snow with the stock tires...

But, with the winter tires, it does great... Not as good as AWD, of course, but better than most FWD with all-season tires...

The most limiting variable is ground clearance... When the snow gets up to the front spoiler or sidesills in parking lots, you are in trouble..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• mkonstmkonst Member Posts: 2
    Unless you're in a snowy climate I don't see a necessity to pay for AWD, but they're both great choices.. I just went through my first winther in Chicago with a 325iT on stock tires (not sport package of course) without any problems beyound an expected bit of fishtailing in turns on snow.. In rain RWD has been just fine. I actually felt better in it than I did in my FWD Acura CL-S
  • texbluestexblues Member Posts: 1
    2004 325 wagon and love it, has enough power for the wife who is primary driver, but I could use a little more..........

I'm looking for a way to tie down a pair of touring kayaks, these are sitting on a Thule rack with standard straps around the belly of the kayak which works great for local trips below 35mph........

I don't see a way to tie down the front and rear of the kayaks so we can take these on the freeway. I know I should have checked this out before purchasing this car.........

Come on BMW this is a Sport Wagon, not a shopping cart, put some way to tie stuff down, why even have the roof rack.........

Any ideas would be great, before I start hacking.
  • 73scout73scout Member Posts: 1
    brechbiel,
    I'm considering a 2001 or 2002 325xiT, but haven't driven one yet. Do you know if the accelerator pedal location problem (too far left) was fixed for '01 and/or '02 in the 325xiT? I have an on-again off-again sciatic nerve problem that acts up if I drive a car with a poor ergonomic arrangement like you described. I appreciate you bringing that problem to our attention.
This discussion has been closed.