Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• porknbeansporknbeans Member Posts: 465
    My opinion would be that general handling would go to the Passat because of the lower center of gravity, passenger tires and more "performance" orientation. Handling in more hazerdous terrain (trails, snow, etc.) I would give the edge to the Volvo. As far as reliability, I think you will be pretty much on even par with both. The difference may be that the dealer experience will be better with Volvo than with VW (from what I've heard).
    Porknbeans

Grand High Poobah
    The Fraternal Order of Procrastinators
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    3rd seats can be installed on older V70's thru the dealer.
    They aren't cheap.
    There were V70's built w/ the seat from the factory but they were never very numerous.
    Volvo has longer better warranty, and free loaner for service.
    Safety is no contest, Volvo.
    Price prob favors passat
    Quality of materials,Volvo
    Dealer treatment Volvo
    Versatility Volvo
    If you have the time you could order you XC70 thru the overseas delivery program, right now they will direct ship you the car so you don't even have to go over to europe to pick it up.
  • lulu2002lulu2002 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info re: the overseas delivery program. Can you tell me more?
    Basically you spec out your car, save 8-10% off US MSRP, fly over pick it up, sightsee drop it off at the port and they ship it back to you.

Drawbacks, time. It takes @ 2-3mos to get your car built and 1-3 months to get it shipped back to the US.
    Volvo will offer a direct ship option if you buy now.
    Or you can recieve 2 free roundtrip tickets to europe.
    Check w/ your local dealer. Not all dealers embrace the program.
    If you can't get more info from them feel free to email me
  • lulu2002lulu2002 Member Posts: 3
    Do you know when the V50 is going to be available in 2003? And will it have an AWD option? That way I can do a comparison before purchasing in 03.
    V50 will not be available till 2005.
    There will be an XC50, although no date for its release has been given.
    The current S/V 40 will be back for the 2004 model yr
  • peterswedenpetersweden Member Posts: 3
    Hi, (i´m swedish, excuse my poor english)I´m from Stockholm and just found this site. It´s interesting to read all thoughts about importing your Volvo to the states. I´m trying to do the otherway around, trying to find a used 01 or 02 Yukon xl/Suburban to import to Sweden. But it´s very expensive with our high VAT here in Sweden.
    I have a 2002 cross country with all packages and options there is, such as TV/Navigation and so on...
    I´m very happy with the car, but beeing 6 foot 5 i find it not beeing roomy enough. Before the Volvo XC i drove A Lincoln Navigator and was very pleased with that. But girlfriend did not like it. But now i talked her in to a Sub/Yuk.
    Do you guys know of any serous dealer in the US that holds a large stock of used (01, 02) Sub/Yuk and that are excperienced with exporting to europe and are reasoable with prices ?
    Thanks in forhand and i´m glad to read that those of you that went to sweden to buy your car, liked our country.

Best regards
    Peter Stockholm
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for your message. Regarding the Yukon or Suburban: You should try asking your question in our ongoing GMC Yukon XL/Chevy Suburban discussion. Good luck, and happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

Try www.autotrader.com
  • velomonkeyvelomonkey Member Posts: 1
    Hey everyone. My wife and I just picked up our 2002 XC w/ premium, cold weather, touring packages, and 3d row seat for $34,500. Just like Windy too we had initially planned to buy baseline V70 for $29,500. We got this car with no compromises, even in the color we wanted (black with Tan interior).

We have had the car for three weeks and have taken it on two 250 mile trips. We love it and could not be happier. We had a SAAB, but rented a SUV while the SAAB was in the shop for repairs from someone backing into it. My wife and I don't like SUVs, but we did like the space (though the saab does well there, too). Anyway we went and looked at Volvo and was very happy with the prices and the service. I was fine with a V70, but did not really dig the 168hp engine. My wife seemed happy as well. Once we found the deal on the XC, though, we knew we were sold. The 3rd row seat and the integrated booster seats are a God send to people with small children.

The 197hp turbo engine is perfect for a station wagon, though it could be a tad stronger. The interior is very classy, though we would have liked a in-dash CD changer. The height is perfect and tall people will very much appreciate this feature. All in all this is a great concept for a car and I find myself loving to drive to this car.

We look forward to joining the XC community. BTW, we worked with Martens in DC and would highly recommend them.
    And thanks for the detailed notes. We look forward to hearing more about your 2002 XC experience.... Happy motoring!

Revka

Hatchbacks & Wagons Host

• dbugbeedbugbee Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2002 XC. When locking the car with a particular FOB, the car is supposed to remember the position of the side view mirror and, when unlocked with the same FOB, put the side view mirror back to its original position, i.e., the position that it was in when the car was locked. This can come in handy when two different drivers, each with their own FOB, are using the car.
    I've noticed on many occasions that after I've locked the car and gone shopping for a while, when I return and unlock the car, the car "readjusts" the mirror when I open the driver's door, as if it gets confused about what position my side view mirror was left in when I locked it just a few minutes ago with my FOB.
    Has anyone else noticed this behavior? I think Volvo has a slight SW problem here. I can usually reproduce this problem quite readily, except of course when I tried to demonstrate it to my Volvo retailer.
    Also, I read a review recently on the S60, and the author stated, "Why do I seem to have to readjust the side view mirror so often?" I think he was experiencing the same problem I'm seeing.
    The fob only remembers the initial programming.
    If yu change the mirror position you have to reprogram the fob as well. It will remember the old position only.
  • dbugbeedbugbee Member Posts: 18
    The fob itself doesn't remember anything, except of course the right frequency to lock/unlock the particular car it goes to. As long as that doesn't get messed up, and there's no good reason it should, it should never have to be reprogrammed. It's the car itself that remembers what position the mirror was in when the car was locked with a particular fob. When it detects the car is being unlocked with that same fob, it is supposed to put the mirror back as it remembered it to be. The problem that I am seeing is that it is not remembering correctly.
    Question, do you have a P2 V70XC?
    Is it a 2002?
    In the 2002 the fob will activate the seat and mirror memory function.
    If you don't the fob shouldn't have anything to do w/ the mirror.
  • andrek2andrek2 Member Posts: 2
    IF ANYONE ON THE MARKET FOR 1999 AWD WAGON IN "R" TRIM - SEND ME AN E:MAIL. SILVER/BLACK, 36,000 MILES.

ANDRE.
  • ykrashykrash Member Posts: 1
    Help! Ever since I purchased my 2001 XC last November, I have been searching for two items..."front" mud flaps & a bug guard (not interested in a hood bra due to potential paint damage) Has anyone been successful in locating these two accessories??? PS - I love this automobile. 12,000+ miles and not one problem.
  • batstarbatstar Member Posts: 4
    Volvo does not currently stock front mudflaps for 2001 + XC's...yet, so I've been told. Stay tuned and keep pestering your dealer for more details on this elusive item.

As far as bug guards are concerned, I had my dealer install a protective urethane film on the headlamps, foglights and front hood of my '01 XC. It prevents paint chipping, bug splatter and more importantly stone impact. I've had it on for almost two years and shows no signs of yellowing.

http://www.xpel.com/products.html

Also, check out http://www.v70xc.com/ for a great site exclusively dedicated to the XC. :~)

• ozcar1ozcar1 Member Posts: 8
    The latest Consumer Reports study confirms the results of JDPowers and others studies that indicate Volvo is in the top tier of quality.

Consumer Reports today revealed that the Volvo S60, Volvo S70 and Volvo V70 XC Cross Country are all on the recommended list. All of these vehicles are on the same platform as the XC90.

From CR "...Volvo unit continue to post solid gains in reliability, while the quality of recently redesigned models such as the 2002 Toyota Camry and Nissan Altima has fallen, an influential buying guide said Thursday."

No Mercedes-Benz vehicle scored high enough to be recommended.

The Consumer Reports study confirms the results of JD Powers which reported that Volvo is the highest ranked European car in quality and in the top 5 of all manufacturers.
  • 36tudor36tudor Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any information on Model year changes and expected dates? PAUL
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    I'm not sure about 2004 but 2003 are out now and the two biggest changes that I am aware of are increased hp to 208 as well as torque being up to 236 lb. The AWD system is now Haldex which is superior to previous version.
    I believe both of these upgrades are identical to the specs found in the lower end XC90 model.
    I have read that the engine in the X90 is quite adequate to move this beast around so I assume that in the xc70, it will really fly.
    There may be some monor interior mods as well.
  • kagenskikagenski Member Posts: 4
    (I posted this to the V70 group before noticing
    the XC group, so sorry about the repost)

I was looking at an '03 XC70 today and was
    reasonably impressed.

But, I did forget to look at one item and can't
    find an answer in the brochure or online, What
    is the Cup Holder setup in the rear-seat area?

thanx
  • vascdudevascdude Member Posts: 11
    Just wanted to update on what Volvomax mentioned. I purchased a 2003 XC with the Premium Pkg, Touring Pkg and Met paint for $31,945. Currently, Volvo is throwing in the Premium pkg for FREE! My car has already been built and will be here in a few weeks.

This varies slighty from the Overseas tourist program listed on the Volvo website. Normally you need to order your car and travel to Sweden as previously mentioned. However, they now have a certain number of vehicles built to US specs and available for purchase. These cars come packaged as the one mentioned above (Prem and Tour. pkg) Your colors are limited and time is of the essence. The discount will be applied for a limited time ( maybe year's end) There is no advertisement of this on the website and some dealers I spoke with just plain didn't know about it! I heard about the program from a dealer far from me and eventually worked it out with someone much closer. Not all dealers will be willing to participate, probably due to a minimal fee they receive. Either way I encourage anyone looking to buy a new or, late model used volvo, to check this out quickly.

Hope it helps someone.
  • jmhillrph1jmhillrph1 Member Posts: 7
    I'd gotten this same tip off of a Fatwallet forum-contacted several dealers in B'ham, AL and Atlanta and none seem to be aware of this. I've been advised to speak to an individual at corporate to get the scoop-- whereabouts did you have success in working with a dealer? Also, is it just these prebuilt models that are available w/free premium and are they all optioned precisely as you ordered? What colors were available to you and which did you choose? Thanks for the info and hope you'll be very happy with your purchase.
    I found success in the Baltimore/DC area. I believe that if the dealers really want to find out, then they can make a call. I hate to see them pass the buck. In my experience I had to mention it to the dealer and he looked into to it to confirm the special deal. I am not certain if the free premium pkg is available on orders. Yes, the prebuilt cars all come with the same equipment: Prem & tour pkgs. We were told we had to choose between Naut. Blue, Gold (sorry if wrong name), silver and one other color I can't recall. It was easy for us since we wanted the blue. Now we're just waiting for the car to sail on over.
  • cjo87cjo87 Member Posts: 35
    Does anyone have experience with the rear-facing 3rd row in volvos? I never gave it a thought before, but then read several comments on the XC90 thread regarding 3rd-row safety in a rear-end collision and it made me wonder how safe the 3rd row is in a XC or V70.
  • bman10bman10 Member Posts: 1
    Maybe Volvomax knows the answer to this question. Is the overseas buying program that jmhillrph1 is talking about cheaper than "A" plan? Also, is there any similar overseas plan with U.S. delivery for the XC90? I have a deposit on an XC90 but am balking at the price and new model concerns. I would be interested in thoughts you have about one vehicle vs other? Thanks.
    Generally speaking, Overseas Delivery is less than A-Plan.
    The only time A-Plan is comparable is if there is an incentive on top of the A-Plan price.

Currently there is no Overseas Delivery available for the XC90.
    After the first of January Volvo will start taking orders for May delivery of a 2004 XC90.
    There will be no price break on the car, indeed we may see an increase.
    Volvo does list Overseas pricing for the 03, its the same as the US price, except that you get free airfare to Europe.

As for the 03 vs 04 debate, I don't have any special feeling either way.
    People who place deposits/orders now will probably get an 04, and probably pay more for it.
    I haven't heard of any significant upgrades or equipment differences to sway me to the 04 over the 03.
    The V8 if its available, won't be available right away and is supposed to be part of a super-luxury version anyway.
    Bottom line, Overseas Delivery is fun if you want to go to Europe, and can deal with the time issues.
  • cabbatan1cabbatan1 Member Posts: 40
    Has anyone had the opportunity to test drive the 03 XC70 with the more powerful engine? I am in the process of researching wagons and I would appreciate any feedback on the additional power as well as the new Haldex AWD system.
    Volvo sure is not saying much about it.. They slipped it in without so much as a mention of this other than some small print in there spec sheets. I guess they don't want to steel the XC90's thunder considering it's exactly the same drive train as the lower end XC90.
    I have driven the 03 xc70 twice and have found mild improvement over the 2002 model. The greatest difference you should feel is the increased "jump" due to significantly higher torque. The horsepower is only mildly elvated, but the torque is what really makes it a different driving experience.

Not much info on a Haldex experience yet.

Ifyou have the time check into the overseas deal I have previously posted. You may not even have to travel to get such a great deal.
  • barrysharpbarrysharp Member Posts: 10
    vascdude:

I've just come back from my Volvo dealer who gave me the scoop on the Overseas program. It must be done by Dec 31 and Volvo is throwing in FREE SAS air tickets for two to Copenhagen round trip to be taken by 4/15/2003. You can pay addtional $295 and have three nights in London hotel for two as well :-)

My dealer made no mention of the FREE Premium Package :-( However, I will approach him tomorrow about this.

Where did you get this deal from? Can you give me the dealer tel number/name so that my sales person can get confirmation etc ?

My only problem at this time is that I want Brown interior seats and there aren't any on the list -- sales person will start the hunt for Brown tomorrow.

I'm impressed with the XC70/2003 and will be upgrading from a 86' 745 GLE Turbo Diesel wagon that has some 235,000 miles on it. The plastics on this car are beginning to shatter and close to impossible to repair without spending lots -- plus the diesel exhaust is blowing black at times as iI climb hills and causes the cyclists around my neigbourhood to choke ;-)

Thanks and regards... Barry Sharp
    vascdude:

My sales person quoted

Base: $30,800
    Premium: $2,595
    Touring: $795
    Met Paint: $350

Total: $34,540

If I subtract out the Premium package of $2,595 I get to your $31,945.

Soooo, if Premium is FREE then I believe that makes the XC70/2003 a good deal -- plus especially when the free air tickets and 3-days in London are considered as well.

Regards... Barry Sharp
    After not having a lot of success going through my local dealer, I was able to hook up with a non-local dealer and get in on the deal which vascdude has written about. Yes, my price was $31,945 for vehicle w/premium, touring, and met. paint. My order was placed through Volvo's direct shipment program in which car is delivered here to the US without my needing to pick it up overseas-- normally I would jump at the chance for free European airfare but we've just had a baby so this will work much better for us (by the way, even w/the direct shipment I believe you are still entitled to airfare vouchers). The bad news is that this direct shipment option has just ended. It's not clear to me if the free premium incentive has also ended, my advice is to communicate with a salesperson familiar with all the ins and outs of the OSD program.
    Well your math is correct :) I have actually discussed this deal with 2 dealers. Bill Kidds in Baltimore and the one in Dulles,VA (I'm blanking on the name right now. Boyers or Beyers I think)

If you're talking London, then you must be out west. The deal they're offering on travel is GREAT! I was in Stockholm last year and had a blast.

Make sure to push your salesperson on the free premium pkg. It is for real. Tell him to call the international volvo people or the dealerships I mentioned above. It's a great deal. It sounds like you could use the upgrade and boy, have things changed since 1986.

Good luck.
    Congrats on the car and baby! I'm happy to hear you made it under the wire. We too have just recently had a baby and can't travel at this time.

Also nice timing on the messages above!

Congrats again! I'll post when our car is delivered. I'm sure we will all be quite pleased once they arrive.
    and congrats on yours, too. Plus, I appreciate your info from a week ago-- I might have given up on the deal except for the encouragement of you and a couple of others.
    vascdude & jmhillrph1:

First, jmhillrph1 CONGRATS on the baby (girl or boy?).

About the FREE air tickets -- I enquired extensively about this bonus offer and it appears that the tickets are completly transferable. This means that if you personally can't make use of them you can assign them to anyone of your choosing. This might make for a fine gift to a family member, friend or close associate etc.

As I have family in London and nearby Cambridge the addition of a stay in London is an additional bonus. The airfare deal does not imply a ride to Gothenburg -- in fact that's not part of the offer as in the official OSD program.

My sales person said it will take 6 weeks for XC70/2003 to arrive after Volvo receives full payment. The only downside to this is one has to pay in full upfront and then wait the 6 weeks. IMO this is well worth it especially so if I can convince my sales person to give me the FREE Premium package. I'm going to press him very very hard today on this.

Questions: Why has Volvo offered this program? Is it because they have over produced XC70/2003 cars? Is it because the full MSRP for XC70/2003 encrouches on the low end of the XC90? Is it because cars in general just aren't selling today? Are there any problems with the new XC70/2003 early models maybe? Is it because Volvo needs "floor space" for the popular XC90 which appears to be selling very well in my area (Pacific Northwest -- Seattle area)?

No matter, I'm convinced the XC70/2003 is the car for my wife and me to replace our aging 86' 745 wagon. My wife has the S80 T6 2000 model which replaced her S90. The S90 (last of the rear wheel drives) was at the end of its development cycle and was an excellent vehicle. My wife misses the very tight turning circle of the S90 as the S80 needs some 3 to 4 more feet (an artifact of FWD) and makes the U-turn into the garage a hit-and-miss situation at times (no hits yet!!!).

I'm interested in any advice on worthy accessories for the XC70/2003. My wish list so far is

1. Rear skid plate (useful and looks cool as well)
    2. Square hitch
    3. Splash guards (are these really necessary I wonder?). I've read these are hard to find!
    4. Hand free phone components -- I suspect this option is expensive based on the various pics I've seen -- special headrest with speaker and mic, plus central dash mods!
    5. I'd like to get a wide-angle driver-side rear view mirror but haven't located one yet. I'll try Borton in MN as I get various S80 service parts from them at a good price.
    6. Rain sensor wiper blades -- I thought these were standard but see that they're not :-( I rented a MB in England earlier this year and it had these type wipers and I found them extremely useful and made driving safer as I travelled thru frequent drizzle off and on while steaming north on the mortor ways.
    7. Rear divider as I have two Wire Hair Fox Terriers that love to sit up front. These dogs are quite narrow (for crawling into Fox holes I suppose). I've tested these dividers in Volvo wagons in the past and my dogs squeeze past the divider thru the gap between divider and side rear window. Just how narrow is this gap on the XC70/2003 setup I wonder?
    8. I'm curious about the worth/addition of the DTSC feature on top of the 4-wheel drive system. Is this option worth the (approx)$1200 ? I know many people that speak very highly about DTSC on their S80s, but this is a front wheel drive vehicle vs. 4WD on XC70/2003.
    9. The 10-disc CD system -- does the CD holder cabinet locate in the rear cubby holes somewhere -- maybe one of the rear side compartments maybe?
    10. Does front of car need any further protection from flying stones/gravel/bugs etc. The car does seem to be very well protected already! The low fog lights would appear to need some protection.
    11. Oh, and where does the DVD portion of the Nav system reside?
    12. Does XC70/2003 have memory rear view side mirrors -- can't seem to find this feature mentioned in the brochure but have read postings indicating the feature is present.

Well as you can see and imagine, I'm quite excited about this Volvo XC70/2003 car and any advice or purcahse insights you care to post will be most welcomed.

Thanks and regards... Barry Sharp
    and thanks for sharing all the details. We look forward to hearing more.... Happy motoring!

Revka

Host

Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards

vascdude:

You are the man -- I pressed my sales person this morning and he immediately called his Volvo contact and found that the FREE Premium package is for REAL. Oh my god -- how can I ignore this I thought.

A short while later my sales person called me back with BAD news. Volvo Overseas had just informed him that this OSD by Dec 31st without having to travel to factory had been abandoned/dropped as of last week sometime. The only way to now proceed was to travel to Gothenburg factory and point to the XC70/2003 of choice in the factory lot and then return or take car for a spin around Europe if one had the time etc and then have car shipped home. The FREE Premium package was still available with this offer. However, what's not clear to me or my sales person at this time is whether or not the FREE Premium package is restricted to the "list" of XC70/2003s that Volvo had with their program that was so quickly/quietly abandoned last week. If I'm to travel to Gothenburg I'd like very much to get my Brown leather interior but if I have to fork out for the Premium package in order to get "Brown" I may just have to opt for Taupe interior. Either way this deal is still very attractive.

Will post back as I learn more, and thanks for the heads up on this very attractive purchase option.

My sales person is working very hard on this for me and has several other customers who were in the process of making good on the Volvo program that has been dropped. Volvo apparently hasn't done a good job in informing it's country-wide Sales/Dealerships of their recent decision to abandon the OSD-type program that had been advertised to all to be good thru Dec 31st. In fact there are going to be several disappointed customers who were in the process of buying at my local Volvo dealership per what my Sales person has told me.

Regards... Barry Sharp
    ...my saga continued

My local Volvo dealership did wonders on the telephone with their West Coast Overseas delivery person and have secured me a promise of obtaining the Premium Package for me for free if I purchase my XC70/2003 and pick it up in Goteborg by Mar 30th 2003. This was a special deal they developed for me as I had missed out on the program they had 'quietly' cancelled last week plus me being a "loyal" Volvo customer etc.

This will allow me to order my Brown interior and not be restricted to the special list of cars associated with the program that Volvo cancelled last week.

This is a huge savings of around $6,632 compared to list price of Base+Premium+Touring+Met Paint.

Now I have to decide where my wife and I are going to travel from Goteborg and what drop off location to pick on. I just hope my aging 86' 745 GLE wagon will pull me through while waiting for this XC70 to arrive home.

Sooo, it's $2000 deposit (non refundable) up front to order thru OSD and remaining balance due no later than 30 days prior to pickup in Goteborg. Local sales tax is due when picking up car when it finally arrives at my local Volvo dealership. I'll have 30 days to obtain/install local license plates while driving around locally with European plates :-)

Big question -- should I pocket the $6,632 savings or splurge out for those extra accessories that always beckon to a new car buyer. Given that those splash guards for the XC70 are so hard to get I believe they will make a splendid 'extras' choice as the factory will equipped the car the way you specify down to the last detail.

If others who have OSD experience are willing to post back any advice I would welcome them.

BTW I did test drive an XC70/2003 model today and it drove very well and has surprisingly good pickup from 20mph while accelerating up to freeway speed. The ride was comfortable and I checked out the rain sensor wipers here in the Northwest and the memory feature of the rear view side mirrors. Both worked as advertised per the owner's manual. I especially like the nylon divider that not only installs behind the rear seats but also behind the front seats when the rear seats are folded down -- a very convenient and well thought out feature/addition IMO (I have two dogs that like to travel in the car). I found that the XC70 tires transmit little noise into the cabin and the XC70 seats do well in supporting my legs just behind the knees. On the V70 models I found this wasn't the case and lacked this much need support for me when driving long trips. I liked the look of the combination of Ash Gold and the Umber plastic bumper protection surrounding all/most of the lower levels of the body work. I left the dealership with a very positive XC70/2003 experience.

Thanks in advance and regards... Barry Sharp
    it's a boy and I hope I've got him settled in for a good long nap now. Very glad to hear that you will have a chance to get in on this excellent deal. I am usually quite slow in making decisions but when I discovered this one and after a very satisfying test drive, I had to jump on it. And glad to hear that you liked the Ash Gold-- that's what I ordered for my wife with the brown interior.

Since you mentioned splash guards, I thought I'd reference this discussion which I was reading earlier from another board http://xc70.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=3dec32810650ffff;act=ST;f=1;t=572

Also, if you've not read it here's one buyers recount of his OSD experience http://www.virtualtourist.com/m/tt/29cfb/

I was interested to read that you'd been told that the air tickets may be transfereable-- I was told otherwise-- so I guess I'll need to research that a little further. Will look forward to hearing how everything works out for you.

Congrats! A great deal that was well earned on your part. Actually , I'm still waiting on a VIN # so I can put through the financing. It's been 2 weeks and Volvo is dragging their feet.

I don't have many answers to your post, but I have spoken to a few people who said that the AWD worked fine w/o the DTSC.

Well, here's to everyone enjoying their new XC's once they arrive. Congrats again and happy/safe driving.
    Thanks guys for all your info/refs and encouragement. My wife and I are taking next few days to sort thru all the options and will give dealer the 2 grand this weekend to seal the deal :-)

This IMO is an extraordinary opportunity for any Volvo enthusiast.

Regards... Barry

P.S. jmhillrph1 -- my first was a boy and he got undivided attention for 5 years and then his sister and a year later another sister joined him. At 5 years old my son had absolutely no jealous traits with the new arrivals. All three have long memories travelling on long trips in our 86' 745 wagon -- the best one was the trip across Death Valley ;-) when I had to turn off the A/C unit to avoid overheating. It was years later when the kids fully realised why I did this as at the time they were really mad with me.
  • marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone have the step by step instructions for doing this myself and a good supplier? Thanks.
  • marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    Art, you are most helpful and informed and I appreciate it greatly(also your message #617 on service reminder reset in v70 Wagon Experience board was great)...noticed that Volvo does not have any recommendations about automatic tranmission flushing schedule for regular driving for v70 in the manual. Do you have any thoughts on this?
    Thanks, Art
  • maximxmaximx Member Posts: 9
    Hi Dave,

Volvo Canada recommends changing/flushing the ATF every 96,000km/60,000 miles under normal driving conditions. Older transmissions need changing much sooner, but many of the newer FWD trannys are a lot gentler on fluids. My recommendation is if you don't feel comfortable with this arrangement you could always change the fluid sooner. Transmission fluid should last forever, but driving conditions and time have shown that things don’t always turn out in real life like they do on paper. The newer transmissions with lock up in the lower gears as well as some transmissions even go into neutral at a stop should make the fluid last longer, keep your eye on the fluid condition and change it when needed. (your mileage may vary)
  • purush1purush1 Member Posts: 1
    Folks

I have signed on for a XC70 and will take delivery of it in Gotenborg around end of Feb. I was not planning on driving the car anywhere but having it shipped immediately. My questions are --
    (a) has anyone tried this before? Will the US customs be leary of such low milage cars?
    (b) how long does it take for the car to arrive in the US? My local dealer, in Raleigh, tells me that it will take 25 days but the official webpage talks about 50 to 60 days.

Would appreciate any pointers that you may provide.

thanks
  • automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    I did the OSD program back in 2001 when I got my V70 T5. I did the exact same thing that you are going to do....Pick it up, drive it around the track and then ship it home on the first boat. Volvo takes care of Customs and is responsible for anything that they do to the car if they need to search it for whatever reason. But they didn't touch mine, just FYI.

After I gave the car back and went home, it still sat in Sweden waiting for the next boat to come back from the states. It sat for about a week or so in Sweden even after I left so it took a little longer. From the time I got home to the time I got the car it was about 4-5 weeks because the shipping company had some delays at the port where the car came in (baltimore).

Hope this helps.

AS
  • millingtonmillington Member Posts: 1
    I'll be uplifting my new and first Volvo in a couple of weeks. In the last 5 years I have much enjoyed my '96 Subaru wagon (family) and '95 900 series Saab (personal). With 3 children now the Subaru is too small and lacking in safety when stacked up alongside the XC70. Saab is one of my favourite vehicles but without the AWD option Volvo got my affirmative vote. In a strange way the XC70 is a concoction of the two.

So my metallic silver XC with charcoal leather interior and mesh alluminium trim inlays with enough room for almost half a rugby team arrives in time for travelling up to the beach and farm this summer. I expect my kids are going to love the booster seats and extra ground clearance which combine to give an elevated view shaft to roadside activity. No way did I ever contemplate an urban tractor (SUV).

Something I am considering having fitted prior to uplift, is an integrated spoiler. It is similar to that which comes with the XC90 but not normally available with the XC70, at least not in my lattitude on the globe. I am interested in comment you can offer re the spoiler. I like it primarily for aesthetic reasons and note it is on the XC90. Does anybody have anything to add? Drag, resale value, look, pitch in I would love to hear your opinion.

All the best - Mills
This discussion has been closed.