Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo V70 / XC70

Comments

• Options
    codeyfcodeyf Member Posts: 4
    I was rear-ended last weekend, so we're looking for a new vehicle. Here's what we're looking for:

1. Something roomy, if not somewhat luxurious.
    2. Leather w/heated seats.
    3. Wagon > SUV > Van in that order.
    4. Decent mileage, would hope to avg 20+ mpg.
    5. Reliability is a absolute must.

With this in mind, we are considering a 2001 Volvo V70 non-turbo. Here is the info on the one we're looking at:

2001 V70
    44,844 Miles
    Navy exterior, dark gray interior
    $16,395 Sticker price

It is NOT Volvo certified, or for sale by a Volvo dealer. It is being sold by Toyota of Seattle. The free "AutoCheck History Report" by Experian Automotive shows it to have a clean title. Also looks like it was originally purchased here in Seattle, however unlike Carfax, I can't tell how many owners it has had, or what the odo read at each renewal or emission check.

My overall findings are that the make/model/year is good. Majority of things I've read were positive. However, the few bad things I've read were pretty severe.

My questions are:

What can I expect on reliability?
    What can I expect for regular maintenance in the coming months/intervals?
    At the given mileage, should any particular service(s) already been performed?

There seems to be a wealth of Volvo knowledge in the posters here, so hopefully you all will be able to help us out!

Thanks! :confuse:
  • Options
    volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Well, the 45k service is due. Its a minor one, oil change, tire rotation, replace pollen filter.
    Next major service is 60k. Spark plug replacement.
    If the car has been properly serviced reliability shouldn't be an issue.
  • Options
    Thanks. As it turns out, I went and looked at it today. It's a no go. It may have been sound mechanically, but it had flaws all over the interior and exterior. Large scuffs on the black trim on the driver side, driver side mirror was cracked and had a chunk missing, interior was pretty dirty, with evidence of pets being inside (hair, very slight smell).

But, there is hope for my wife who is absolutely in love with the S70...perhaps you could shed some light on this:

2001 V70 N/A
    43032 miles
    Silver w/Black leather
    Sandberg Northwest Volvo (doesn't specify if it's Volvo Certified)
    Sticker price of $17995

Here's the kicker, and if any of you have Carfax, I encourage you to look up VIN YV1SW61R412111139.

1 New York owner. Wherever they serviced it, they reported the mileage every time. It averages close to every 5 months / 5-6k miles. Here's how it reads:

1,501 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    8,299 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced - Miscellaneous service performed
    10,208 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    14,505 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    19,762 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced - Miscellaneous service performed
    21,202 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    24,292 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    29,236 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    31,151 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    33,978 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced
    37,120 Service Facility - Vehicle serviced

Obviously, lots of oil changes. But, I REALLY like that it's been serviced regularly. Although I am taking in to consideration, that for all I know, it may have just gotten air in the tires.

But anyway, we're gonna go look tomorrow. If everything looks good, we may put an offer on it. They're asking $18k. We have already been approved thru our credit union for $17k. We're thinking of offering $16500 cash out the door and see what they say.

Thoughts?
  • Options
    I should add, I have reservations for a couple reasons. What I've read with Vovlos in regards to reliability goes from one extreme to the other. I've read statements of people who swear by them, and vehicles that have been plagued with problems.

Also, i've referenced various web sites (CarPoint, Consumer Reports, etc) that don't give the V70's the best reliability ratings (mediocre at best).

So, that's where I'm coming from. Thanks again for the input.
  • Options
    mrlizzzardmrlizzzard Member Posts: 31
    I'm an owner love it,American made with Volvo as parents,check it out.
    lizzzard
  • Options
    Sounds like a nice car, but $16,500 OTD won't get it done.
    If fact, being that it is at a Volvo dealer I don't know that you could buy it for $16,500 plus fees.
  • Options
    Yup. We offered 18k otd. But, they say they're in to the car @ 17k and lowest they could go is $17650 + fees.

Oh well. Problem is, now I want one almost as much as the wife :(
  • Options
    need2buyacarneed2buyacar Member Posts: 1
    Hi, did you happen to go for the '01 XC70? I am looking at one too with 53K miles for 19K. I too am somewhat concerned about the reliability of this car...I figure what I save on this vs. a new car will help offset any repairs, but I don't want to find myself stranded or without a car b/c of lots of repairs. Any suggestions on how to get this thing checked out? It's being sold by an individual. Can you get a Volvo 'certified' yourself by taking it to a dealer?
  • Options
    Only a Volvo sold by a Volvo dealer can be "certified".
    You could buy an extended service contract though.
    If you are buying from a private party an inspection by a reputable Volvo technician is a good idea.
  • Options
    dobesigndobesign Member Posts: 1
    I am hunting for tires for my car. I'm moving to Phoenix and it's very hot and sandy there. Further I like the moree aggressive look and am considering larger rims. Any suggestions? I'm also thinking of getting a nose bra to help avoid desert sand blasting on the front end paint. Any ideas?
  • Options
    More like it is very hot and dusty here.
    Bigger rims on a 98 Cross Country isn't a great idea. It can damage the AWD system.
    Bras really aren't either, the dust gets under the bra and can sctrach the finish.
    A clear bra is a better idea, although some of them can be turned yellow by the sun.
  • Options
    lemonade1lemonade1 Member Posts: 2
    Got it on eBay. Maybe a bit of an impulsive thing to do. Now reading that year has a lot of problems. Paid $8000 for fully loaded with third seat and 90K miles. Should I be sorry? What kind of trouble am I looking forward to?

:confuse:
  • Options
    lemonade1lemonade1 Member Posts: 2
  • Options
    As with any used car, it depends on how well it was maintained.
    Most of the issues w/ the 98 XC's were covered by recalls and upgrades.
    Timing belt is coming up for replacement, might want to see if that has been done.
  • Options
    jroyjroy Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1998 V70, and I have an issue with the interior door handles. I had problems with them opening smoothly for a while, and today when I pulled on the driver's door handle to get out of the car it just snapped, inside the door. I have to open the window and use the outside handle to get out. I need to purchase a new handle now, does anyone have recommendations for where I can get one?
  • Options
    kmcgkmcg Member Posts: 14
    I'm considering a base V70 2.4 and a base XC70 (both 2005) because there's this sell-down dealer incentive right now on base cars, and it puts them within my comfort zone, price-wise. The XC70 is only about $3k more than the V70, but my hubby is not convinced that we really need the XC70. We're also considering a 2004 Saab 9-5 linear wagon for $2k less than the V70; it has 8,000 miles on it, so I consider it practically new.

So can anyone give me some great arguments on how the 2 Volvos compare? (Or how the 3 compare, if you have an opinion of the Saab?) We drive in the rain, a lot, and in the snow for ski trips about 5 times a year. We would use the car for a daily short-trip commuter, and for family trips that include 2 teenagers. The main differences I see in the 2 Volvos are: AWD, more powerful engine, electronic climate control, better seating material in the XC. Less important to me are raised suspension, roof rails, body cladding, although I do like the more burly look of the XC. Are there features I'm missing? As owners, how important are these various features to you?

Also, any comments on reliability issues with 2005 models? Does the throttle problem seem to be resolved? Any issues with AWD?

Thanks so much for you help!
  • Options
    silvercloudiiisilvercloudiii Member Posts: 10
    Help! I have the "check engine" light come on and the message is emissions system needs servicing. Problem is the codes say the O2 sensor and fuel filter.

Changed the front O2 sensor for $350.00. Light came on again in 20 miles.

Put in a new fuel filter ($110.00) Light came back on in 30 miles.

Where do I go next. I hate to put $1,000 of dollars in the car for nothing?

Can I just turn the light off and sell the car? ( I know that woldn't be fair) but I feel like killing the light.

What else could it be. The codes say we fix what was wrong. Ya right!

Thanks, TJ
  • Options
    itrollsitrolls Member Posts: 11
    I've been comparing the same two vehicles for my family. I prefer the the XC70 because of the additional power and the AWD. My mother lives in the northwest and she has the V70. She spun out on black ice several years ago (over $10k in damage). Ever since then, I thought that I would get an AWD for my family even though I live in SoCal....just in case.

I know that there would be more mechanical or maintenance issues with a turbo, AWD which are standard on the XC...but I think safety aspects of the AWD as well as a slight higher stance would help with your vision as well as better protection in case of frontal or side impact.

In over all reliability, Volvo is not that great. I always hear from my parents regarding "this or that" going wrong with their car. I currently own a 95 Landcruiser...nothing has gone wrong on this beast. But, I'm getting bored with the car so these Volvos may just fit the bill....

What prices are you seeing on the XC70s and V70s?

Regards
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I personally think that, unless you live in the Northeast and frequently drive in snow, the V70 is the better choice.

The extra power of the XC70 is offset by the extra weight of the AWD system, so power is a wash. The added complexity of a turbo engine and AWD hardware could cost extra $ down the road in maintenance and repairs.

When I test drove these two vehicles last year, I didn't even notice the difference in height (4") from the drivers seat - and I seriously doubt if that extra 4" will have any effect on crash safety. If anything, the higher curb weight and center of gravity degrades handling and emergency avoidance.

My opinion is that AWD is far from the panacea that many people think it is. The only time it comes into play is when you are accelerating from a stop or low speed on slippery surfaces - it has no effect on traction when you are cornering, cruising, or stopping.

My V70 has hauled my family to and from the ski slopes at Snoqualmie and Mt. Rainier numerous times without a hickup - on all-season tires. Put snow tires on a V70, and you're pretty much unstoppable. Unless you frequently venture out in Northeast snow storms which demand more ground clearance, the XC70 is a waste, and then in those conditions, I'd argue that a 4WD or AWD SUV (with locking differentials) is the proper choice.

No, I don't see the value in the XC70 at all. In my opinion, it's a "tweener" wagon - a wagon that is compromised on dry pavement, and inadequate in tough stuff.

Just my $0.02
  • Options
    Great feedback - thanks so much. I should have mentioned that I live in Seattle, so both comments hit home. I can relate to what fedlawman says about not really needing AWD here - we've done fine without it, and when we briefly owned a Suburban, it was not a life-changing experience. But the amenities in the XC70 are awfully tempting. The base V70 (base = no sunroof, cloth seats, etc) is about $25,850 and the XC70 base is priced at $28,742. For less than $3k extra, you get quite a lot more in terms of interior features, even ignoring AWD and a body that might hold up better to scratch and ding stuff.

These are prices that seem quite low to me, especially for the XC. They come from a high volume dealership that appears to be experimenting with no-negotiation pricing on some of their cars. It works for me! I tried to get another dealer to match it, and they wouldn't.

Regards, and happy car hunting!
  • Options
    itrollsitrolls Member Posts: 11
    What's the name of the dealership....? What is the sales tax rate in Seattle?

I think the XC is still the better choice. It looks better than v70 and the AWD does make a difference...even if it isn't black ice or snow, the AWD gives you better handling and control in rain or on off road conditions.

The additional height and clearance of the XC changes the point of contact with another sedan in the event of a collision (lower the point of contact on your car is safer for you). For example, if a nissan 300 zx t-bones you in the xc, the point of contact is where the full metal body panel can protect you...If you t-boned the nissan 300 zx your fenders will crash through a weaker point in the zx. If I t-boned the zx in my landcruiser, I'll crash through the window and crush his skull.
  • Options
    It's Sandberg Northwest Volvo in Lynwood WA. Tax rate is is over 9%, but I believe you would pay tax in the state where you register the car, if you are not already a Washington resident.
  • Options
    Take the XC, it will resell better down the road.
    As for the turbo, there is no difference in maintenance.
  • Options
    hopeforvolvohopeforvolvo Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I am new to the board and looking for advice on a dealer V70 2.4 non turbo. Leather, sunroof package and they are asking $21,900 certified. $42K miles. Drove it and LOVE it, but worried about the miles and high costs of problems. Is the warranty a good warranty and is the price OK? They will not budge as I have a trade I am upside down in. Thank you so much.
  • Options
    unhappy3unhappy3 Member Posts: 1
    I have a "99 XC70 and the engine light goes on constantly. Currently failing inspection because of it. Car is at the dealer again today. Last time it was fixed the car hadn't been driven 20 miles before it went on again. Was told could cost between $400 to $2000 to diagnose and correct. I would welcome any advice.
    Thanks
    Unhappy3
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I suppose it's too late today, but next time, swing by an auto parts store and ask them to pull the codes from the check engine light. That should help narrow it down some, and the parts stores around here will pull the codes for free.

The "Check Engine" light discussion may shed some light too. Good luck!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is hoping to talk with someone who purchased a European, Japanese or Korean crossover vehicle since January 2005. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com before July 2, 2005 with your daytime contact info, the make and model of your crossover and a few words describing why you chose it.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    pj1949pj1949 Member Posts: 4
    Planning on buying an XC70. What are the pros and cons of bi-xenon lights?
  • Options
    PRO: They look cool. Provide good low beam illumination. Bulbs last longer

CON: Cost, you have to get the climate package w/ the lights.
    Regular halogens are better on high beam. Expen$ive to replace.
  • Options
    Why are halogens better than bi-xenon on high beam?
  • Options
    Because the xenon high beam is merely the low beam being tilted up some.
    Instead of a more intense light.
    In the European versions there is a second light that comes on the augment the xenons on high beam.
    Not offered over here though. I think Volvo feels it is too bright for this market and may not be legal.
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Because the xenon high beam is merely the low beam being tilted up some.
    Instead of a more intense light.

Well, this is the case with many non-xenon cars, too...my S70 uses the same bulb type in the high and low beam positions, simply with a different pattern in the high beam housing.
  • Options
    Does the XC70 use the same halogen bulb for both positions or is there one bulb for the high beams and one for the low?
  • Options
    Well, this is the case with many non-xenon cars, too...my S70 uses the same bulb type in the high and low beam positions, simply with a different pattern in the high beam housing.

Not quite the same, in the S70 both the high and low beam bulbs are on at the same time. In the xenon its the same bulb, no extra illumination.
  • Options
    sotampasotampa Member Posts: 1
    We have a 2002 V70 and need to program a new set of key fobs for added driver.
    What is required to set up a key fob? Really appreciate the help...

THANKS !!! :shades:
  • Options
    dina33dina33 Member Posts: 1
    For as long as I can remember, I have wanted a Volvo wagon. We have decided to "go for it" and are moments away from purchasing a 2004 V70. BUT..We have three kids, ages 9, 6 and 2 (two car seats).
    Are we foolish to buy this car? Are we going to outgrow it too soon? It will have a third row seat for emergencies. Does anyone have experience with these wagons and older kids?
    Any input is appreciated! If this is not the wagon, is therre one out there that is? I have an Expedition and must downsize...
  • Options
    You have to take the car to the dealer, only they can program the key fob.
  • Options
    nelsoncmnelsoncm Member Posts: 103
    That is gonna be one tight back seat! Though you'll be down to one car seat very shortly it sounds like. The only bigger wagons are the Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable twins, which I think you can still get though they are phasing our production. Used to own a Sable, very generous back seat, plus it has the third row for emergencies. My friend with 3 kids has a Taurus wagon and uses the third row regularly though to me they are not safe! They have about 81 cu feet compared to Volvo's 71.5 cu feet. Also the Saturn wagon is supposed to be about 79 cu feet but no 3rd seat. Have you looked at the Ford Freestyle? Three rows, all comfortable, nice interior. I test drove one and really liked it except they do need more horsepower. You'll be hating road trips with 3 kids in a wagon. Good luck.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    My 8 year old and 5 year old love riding in the 3rd row, and there's plenty of room for them back there. Just know that with 2 kids back there, there's little room for baggage.

Nothing will persuade us to get a minivan - we plan on keeping our V70 for many years to come.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    How long is the S60/V70 going to stay in its current model form before a major redesign is due? I know the 2006 models are already on sale, so I'm guessing another two years?
  • Options
    newsuenewsue Member Posts: 3
    I just bought an XC 70 yesterday and I'm so excited! But I need to hear from Volvo owners about any extended warranties you think are must haves: we were offered an extension of the bumper to bumper for another three years, Zilon that protects paint, leather, and floor mats, and a warranty for tires and rims. Any advice?
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I haven't heard of Zilon, but the mop and glow packages are usually wax and something like Scotchgard for the fabrics. They are a big profit center for the dealer and usually it's cheaper to do it yourself.

While waiting for responses, check out the Extended Warranties discussion.

And congrats on the new ride!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Stay away from the mop and glo warranties. They are near useless.
    VIP is a very good extended service contract.

Tire and rim coverage is most useful if you have low profile tires.
    Replacement tires for any volvo can be quite expensive.
  • Options
    pimlicopimlico Member Posts: 2
    Which dealer are you working with? I am in Portland but that is a much better price than I am getting and it would be worth going to Seattle for a big savings.
  • Options
    newsuenewsue Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. Sorry for my ignorance, but do I have low profile tires on the new xc 70? I'm not sure what that means.
  • Options
    lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Low profile tires are tires without a lot of sidewall between the edge of the rim and the ground...like most sports cars (or Volvo's R models.) An XC70 would not fit in this category.
  • Options
    sf_siennasf_sienna Member Posts: 13
    I suppose I'm a little late in adding my two cents. I have a '99 V70XC that's had a ton of problems (see my previous posts) and a 2004 Sienna XLE that's performed nearly flawlessly (as I expected). We find the XC to be pretty tight for longer trips but we compensated by adding a cargo box which works well -- we have a 5 yr old and a 3 yr old. We have the 3rd row seat but have only used it two or three times since it eliminates all cargo space -- my kids do love it. The Sienna is so comfortable and roomy and handles well enough except in rainy weather were the XC is far superior. The Volvo AWD system performs very well although I don't really have anything to compare it to since I've never owned or driven any other AWD/4WD vehicle. The AWD feels heavy and a little sluggish compared to the standard FWD V70 -- we were between the two when we were looking. If I could only have one of these two vehicles I would chose the Sienna for it's higher reliability, roominess, and gas mileage -- yes, the Sienna gets much better mileage than the XC. I would guess a FWD V70 would get better mileage than our AWD model. But, if your priority is 'fun to drive' then the V70 would be a better choice. By the way, when we bought the XC in 1999 just before our first daughter was born the XC was a compromise -- she wanted a Jetta or Passat and I wanted a minivan (Odyssey). In 2003 she decided she needed a minivan and now she loves it. She was the type that swore she would never drive a minivan -- her previous car was a Miata -- how things change!
  • Options
    rtkyrtky Member Posts: 2
    Hi Gang,

Tell me what you think please.

'05 2.5t V70
    Silver Metallic
    Prem
    Conv
    Clim

$30335 + TTL of 1877

Will be making a decision in the next two days.

Thanks in advance
  • Options
    yogi8yogi8 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking for a used v70 wagon and it seems like there are alot out there with low mileage. Are these being unloaded by unhappy owners? I'm wondering if I should reconsider?
  • Options
    What model years?
    If it is an 04 or 05 chances are it was in rental service.
This discussion has been closed.