Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• mikek2mikek2 Member Posts: 5
    Caution:
    I have a 1996 Lumina APV van which needed a new/rebuilt transmission. Because this van has the newer powertrain like the Montanas and Transports (3.4 litre with computerized transmission)it cost much more than the 1995 and older transmissions - $3000.00 Canadian. Fortunately some of it was covered by a used car warranty. I had 110,000 kms on the car. I bought this van because GM seemed to have the best track record for reliability. (especially transmissions)
  • ammieammie Member Posts: 1
    Hi! My Trans Sport currently has 61,000 miles on it and is equipped with the overhead computerized console that tells you the outside temperature, gas usage, compass etc.. Back in February my outside temperature reader stopped working. It still tells you which direction you are going (North ,South) but where the outside temperature should read it says "SC". Is this any easy fix? Does anybody else have this problem?
  • tinindianatinindiana Member Posts: 46
    My recommendation would be to buy an Odyssey from Honda or the Toyota Sienna. Both are much more reliable and will most likely save both money and headaches over the life of the vehicle.
  • SAhladasSAhladas Member Posts: 35
    Which would you reccomend first: The reliable sienna (that pulls right) over the Odyssey (with the sticky door/bum tranny AND pulls right).

I guess in either case its better then having broken thermometer.
  • nmrfreaknmrfreak Member Posts: 5
    We recently purchased a loaded 97 Trans Sport Montana and in general are loving it. It has the quad captain's chairs with the 50:50 bench in the back. The only annoyance is accomadating our 3 children - 2 of them still in car seats and the third in a booster. Our current set-up is the 2 car seats in the captain's chairs with the booster in the back. It is extremely difficult if not impossible helping our daughter in the back buckle up and I find myself going to the back of the van and helping her from there. Our previous van was a Venture with a 60:40 split in the middle and 2 integrated child seats which was much slicker in this respect. My questions are:

(1) I am sure others have faced this problem and I'd love to hear how they've handled it. Are child seats safe in the rear row?

(2) If I could find someone willing with the same interior, is a swap to either the 8 passenger or a split bench possible i.e. are the clasps in the floor the same regardless? How would one go about doing this? What do people think is the best seating arrangement in this case?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Mike
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Canada
  • tsjewantsjewan Member Posts: 13
    Hi-- this is my first post. I've recently started "pre-shopping" for a minivan (2 daughters, oldest [8]starting to get into some sports, etc.)and we've pretty much settled on an Odyssey at this point. We'd still possibly consider a Sienna-- but for the same money and mpg, I guess I'd rather have the extra space even with only 2 kids. Plus the infamous Sienna torque-converter problem doesn't sound like much fun. Thanks to everyone for their posts, it has helped me out with my decision and given me some things to look for after I order one and before closing the deal, and also after closing and in the early months of driving. I owned an Acura Integra for 11 years and other than "normal" wear-and-tear items like brakes and exhaust, only did one A/C repair and a head gasket replacement in that time. I consider Honda products to be very reliable, but obviously there can be problems with any vehicle as shown by some of the things plaguing at least a small number of Odyssey owners here.

One point I wanted to raise, forgive me if it's been discussed before here but I haven't run across it yet. To preface, I'm not knowledgeable about car mechanics the way some of the posters here obviously are, and have also driven very few miles in my life compared to most people my age (41-- my age, not my driving mileage). However, one of the things I do know to be true both from reading I've done and personal experience is, highway gas mileage can vary considerable in relation to the speed driven. "Experts" have said the difference in mpg at 55 mph compared to 80 mph, can be as much as 30% for many cars, probably at least 15% for all production-model vehicles. Many drivers may be aware of this but I suspect a fair number aren't. I know as a result of doing very careful checks with my '96 Subaru Legacy, that during "pure highway" driving on 70 mph-limit roads with no A/C, I don't get more than 25.5 mpg; while on 55 mph roads, I get 27 to 28.5 mpg. Not a huge deal, but this is only a 10 mph difference-- I normally drive 60 in a 55 zone, and 70 in a 70 zone (yeah, I'm one of those "slow" drivers some of you probably detest, but I do always stick to the right lane). So anyway, in case some out there aren't really aware of this, if you'd like to save some gas at the expense of arriving 5 or 10 minutes later to your destination (for most work commutes, that's all it amounts to), you can try slowing it down a little. This may mean more in the future as I'm guessing we'll see $2/gallon (maybe higher) gas in the next couple years or so. I do know that on some roads at some times, you almost take your life in your hands by driving as low as the speed limit-- so I sympathize with those who drive faster mainly because they feel it's actually safer.
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Welcome to Townhall! You may also want to post your message in the Montana's sister vans topics: Oldsmobile Silhouette topic, or the Chevy Venture topic.

Good luck!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • metcalfr1metcalfr1 Member Posts: 1
    I am wanting a Montana Van, and all I have heard is good things. I do not know where you got your
    crash test result at but everything I have seen has been excellent. That is on the 1999 and up, even the insurance test rate the Montana Good. As for the others. have poor ratings. Please let me know where you have gotten your information at so I am look as well.
  • hondatoyotahondatoyota Member Posts: 3
    Please before you buy a minivan that you are most likely going to haul your family around in, check out the crash tests! This van did the POOREST in the national institute crash tests. Check it out for your self, you can see the pictures and everything. @ www.highwaysafety.org it will be worth your while. These crashes were done at 40 miles per hour, just look at the contrasts.
  • nicklesanicklesa Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at buying a 1998 Montana. It is loaded. I would liked some feedback on problems- Likes and dislikes. Thanks!
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Hi there,

I suggest that you click on "See all responses" at the top of this page (or click here), and read through the messages in this forum if you haven't already.

You may also want to visit the Montana's sister vans topic: Olds Silhouette topic, and the Chevy Venture topic As with this forum, click on "See all responses" to start reading from the first messages in the topics.

Hope this helps!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
  • quepasa1quepasa1 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 1994 Pontiac Transsport and I DO NOT recommend to anyone to buy one. I had multiple problems with my van, small one and big ones, the list is pretty long.
    Please see crash test on this vehicles, I am so upset. The reason that i still have mine is because I have no chice at this moment. Please read about other vans or any other vehicle that will fill your needs, but not this van. Learn from my mistake.
    Take care friends!
  • shookershooker Member Posts: 1
    We own a 1990 Pontiac Transport and are looking to sell it or keep it. We've had yearly problems with it and don't find it very reliable. Wanted to know if anyone else has had the same expeience. This van has 100877 Miles. Please share your experiences with this same type of van.
  • chrisvan1chrisvan1 Member Posts: 1
    Had the same issue with the TCS on my 97 Trans Sport, Needed to replace the switch on lower panel. Still doe not light up indicator when switch is off as manual indicates. Have you had any luck with the dealer? I just bought this van and had a GM dealer do an inspection before I purchased it($81). They happened to MISS at the time that the rear wiper motor was shot($500), traction control switch inoperative ($257), rear compressor shot(replaced a line to fix it $100)- Didn't solve the compressor problem, when I took it back they told me needed a new level ride sensor (want $600). Has been back 3 times for long start (cleaned injectors @ changed plugs- $299) and they still haven't solved that problem either. I am going to have a serious talk with these people. I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY INFO ON ANY OF THESE PROBLEMS....PLEASE HELP. I have spent a considerable amount of $ and they have only been able to get the changing of two fuses right to fix my sliding door and electronic mirrors ($80.) I also own a 99 Jimmy from the same dealer - love it but am really losing patience with GM!
  • mommydaycare1mommydaycare1 Member Posts: 1
    I was considering purchasing a 95 Transsport at a reduced price of 7200, it has 89,600 miles. There are two previous owners of which took excellant care of the vehicle. It is in beautiful shape. 3.1L V-6 power throughout. What is the dependable life span on these vans?
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    The crash result tests for the montana can be found on this web site www.hwysafety.org/.Have a look at that then tell me you're willing to spend that amount of money on a van that isn't designed with safety in mind.G.M. claims 5 star rating but have a close look at the fine print,that's only if the van is hit on the passenger side near the back of the van.WOW everybody crowd into the back corner of the van...passenger side only!!!!!
  • cmgirlcmgirl Member Posts: 1
    a 1995 Pontiac Transport. It has 77,000 miles on it. Lots of extras. Seems to possibly have some air trouble and the steering wheel moves up and down when it should be locked into place. We are diehard Honda fans but can't afford one yet. This van has a 3800 V6 engine and is in great shape. The are asking $7100, it seems like a good deal but would like some advice. You can email us direct at cmgirl@ocalanet.com THANKS
  • pargyropoulospargyropoulos Member Posts: 1
    Dear Interested Readers:

While I love my Transport for it's looks, versatility and performance, I have experienced several minor quality problems and one major problem --- Oil Consumption. Ever since I bought this van it has consumed a significant amount of oil. They have been monitoring it for the past 40K miles. In addition, the 3.4 engine has a tech bulletin out on it for noise (engine piston knocking). It has and continues to sound like a diesel engine, particularly on cold start-up. The dealer actually changed the pistons out (per the tech bulletin instructions) and the noise persists and after a year even seems to be worse.

Good looks and performance aside, I would be wary of reliability and quality. This van may go for ever, but because my issues persist, I continue to have concerns.
    Best of Luck!
    please check out this site www.highwaysafety.org they are an independent government funded agency with no ties to any auto. manufacturer.they tell it like it is.why are german , japanese and swedish cars always ranked higher than north american cars in safety and quaility...WAKE-UP G.M.
    THE AGENCY IN QUESTION IS FUNDED BY INSURANCE COMPANIES NOT THE GOVERNMENT SORRY..PLEASE CHECK OUT #264 IN THE 2000 MONTANA TOPIC 861 ...GOOD LUCK ,IT'S A NICE LOOKING VAN BUT!!!
  • kurt2001kurt2001 Member Posts: 2
    Have 43000 on it and no problems other than few little ones when new.Was my wifes and childrens van, until 3 weeks ago, bought them a 2001 odyssey,sold my car and I am now the proud driver of the transport.Took good care of it when my wife had it,I know how it was driven and maintained,so hopefully will have good luck with it! I really like it,rides good,3.8 liter good power. Took it for a 900 mile camping trip last week.Avg.70mph with a peak speed of 104mph(I live in Texas,flat straight empty roads).Avg 26.4mpg which I was very happy with.Took 3 seats out of it and slept in the back,put padding down,and was verrrryyy nice.By the way i was by myself.Biggest problem had was one time the power door motor did not shut off when my wife went to work, so it ran for 8 hours and killed the battery.Was under warranty they replaced motor and battery and no other door problem.If I had more power door problems I would not have bought the new van with 2 power doors.Twice the chance of something going wrong!Well anyway like the van and have had good luck with it!
  • gomontanagomontana Member Posts: 1
    Yesterday and today I smelled electrical smoke so badly inside my 2000 Montana that I took it to the dealership at noon today for a check up.
    Has anyone experienced this burning electrical smell when the ehater and /or defroster was on? And what was the cause?
  • guestguest Member Posts: 770
  • kntheboyskntheboys Member Posts: 5
    We are having a problem with our van not starting. It first happened in July on vacation in Ontario (we live in MN), then 3 weeks ago, again today. It simply will not start. We had it towed to the garage in Ontario, then it started up when they took it off the tow truck. They disconnected the battery and couldn't find anything wrong. Said it was probably the computer -- needed to be reset.

No problems until 3 weeks ago. Towed to our mechanic. Couldn't find anything wrong with it. Disconnected the battery and then tried to start it -- wouldn't start. Left it overnight, and when he went out the next morning, it started right up. We've been driving it almost daily for the past 3 weeks and haven't had any problems till last night. My DH turned the key, and "click". He then moved the tilt steering wheel up and down (suggested by my brother to see if it might be the ignition wiring/switch causing the problem), and the van started. I drove it this morning with no problems. Then went to start it 2 hours later. It just makes a "click" when you turn the key to start it, and another "click" when you turn the key back to the off position. Tried moving steering wheel tilt up and down, disconnecting battery, jiggling wires, etc. Still won't start!

It's not the battery -- all the lights, etc. work. It just won't start. Anyone else have this problem???

Also, as far as the reliability of this vehicle, here are the problems we have had with it-- what I can remember off the top of my head. (We bought it with 65,000 miles in 95. It now has 135,000.)

serpentine belt, alternator (2 or 3), driver's side seat broke off! (welded it back in place!), sliding door handle wouldn't work from inside (fixed), rack and pinion, shocks, brakes, emergency brake will not hold (when adjusted to hold, it drags when you release it), handle came off parking brake (like described by peter in England above), drink holder in front falls out(little tiny clip broke off that is supposed to hold it in!), wipers sometimes decide not to come on, new head gasket, lock on back hatch will not open without key or won't lock -- ever, sliding door will open only with excessive strength and you need to pull on the handle 2-3 separate times first (tried the WD40 etc!), ABS brake sensor (about $200). That's all I can remember at the time!

We change our oil every 3000 miles, keep tires inflated at appropriate pressure, etc. ("well-maintained"!)

CR DOES recommend avoiding the 92, so I'm wondering if the newer models have improved???? What kind of van to go with when we can afford to dump this one??? Can't afford a Honda or Toyota, either! :(
  • koala616koala616 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1996 Transport last October and we have always had a problem when you are driving over 60 mph, I get an awful howling sound on the driver side by the window. I cannot tell if the window is not properly sealed or if it is the wind going through between the side mirror and van. But it is driving us crazy when we drive on the expressway. If I roll down the driver side window a little I cannot hear the sound any more. Has any one else had this problem? Other than that the van is great. Please e-mail me at koala616@email.com Thanks.
  • dwsterrettdwsterrett Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted to weigh in with my experience.

We bought a new 2000 last year. We selected based
    on price and features versus both the Chrysler
    and Honda products we looked at.

We were able to get a 1500 rebate and 0.9 financing so we saved a considerable amount over
    the competition who acted as if you should feel
    privledged to buy their product.

After 25000 miles we feel like we made the right
    decision. The Montana is not perfect. We think
    the suspension is a little clunky and the engine
    could be quieter (I would prefer that GM put
    the 3.8L V6 in this van). However, the interior
    seems to be holding up well, the tires and
    consumables seem to be doing fine and overall
    we like the ride and handling. I think for the
    money, it is a very solid minivan. Time will
    tell whether it holds up over time. But for now
    I would give it an A-.
  • bobvvbobvv Member Posts: 1
    I've just bought my '01 Montana ext. a week ago and I think this van is great. I got a loaded one with everything but the over priced montanavision . This van has all the looks,ride,comfort,and power that was looking for,( Dodge=old lady grocery getter, Chevy=beater,Ford=its a Ford!, Honda=no looks andits foriegn!,Toyota=beater) I know its still new and will keep you posted on any problems , but for now I'm going to load up my family of 5 and go for a cruise to the Smokey Mts. and put the sports suspension to the test on some of those hilly roads,and see how the van holds up.
  • jacobjojacobjo Member Posts: 1
    perhaps someone can help me - i am looking at crash test results for the montana in consumer reports. The offset crash test results show it as having a poor performance, but it is shown as having above average results with respect to injury claims. My hypothesis is as follows: 1) the offset crash test results do not accurately portray real crash situations 2) there are features in the montana (such as superior braking for example) that prevent it from getting into the simulated crashes 3) injury data unreliable Can anyone out there shed some light on these possibilities???
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    There was recently a lengthy discussion about this in the Chevy Venture topic. Rather than have it repeated over here again, I recommend that you have a look at the posts in that topic starting with #658, by clicking here and reading onwards.

WRT the real world crashes, the offset crash test can predict the performance, but there are other variables to consider as well, of course. You may be interested in these real world front offset collision pictures of the GM minivans. Note the same buckling of the roofs/doors as in the IIHS offset crash test in all of these vans, as well as the updriven steering wheel columns. Again, there are other variables to consider, but it could happen: http://albums.photopoint.com/j/ViewPhoto?u=137587&a=10126395&p=40511478 (Keep clicking on the "next" button to move to the next picture).

Good luck

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • engine12engine12 Member Posts: 17
    I swore up and down left and right i would never buy American again....Well we bought a 2000 Montana in Nov. of 1999 and have been turned around,On certain GM vehicles that is!,Pontiac seems to have there ducks in a row.I'm actually researching a 2001 Grand Prix GTP for my next Vehicle,after driving 4x4 trucks for 16 years i've had it with the lousy gas mileage!The Montana is a big vehicle and is VERY comfortable,We drove from Central Mass. last Summer to Lake George N.Y. ( fully loaded with 4 adults and two children,and a soft sided storage pod on the roof)and was shocked at how comfortable this van is,rides like a dream,This trip is what turned me on to Pontiac and getting a car again!
    I recommend this van to anybody!Thanks PONTIAC for getting me psyched about GM again and wanting a car again!!!!
  • eddiemadeddiemad Member Posts: 5
    Hi.. my wife has a '99 Montana with 42,000 mi on it. The "Check Engine Light" just came on. Was wondering if this light is programmed to come on at this time for periodic maintenance (oxygen sensor, etc) or if there's actually something wrong with the engine. Has anyone else had this light come on and, if so, what was the problem? Thanks.
    Eddiemad.....Bring it to the dealer,I hope you have a extended warranty on your van!
  • drivesman2drivesman2 Member Posts: 2
    eddiemad,

The check engine light doesn't come on unless there is a problem. I had the same thing happen with my 99 Montana (now with 43,000 miles). The solution to my problem was the gas cap wasn't on tight. Carefully check to see if it is loose before tightening. It takes a couple of minutes for the light to go off but solved my problem.
  • drivesman2drivesman2 Member Posts: 2
    The only time the TICS light on the dash should come on is at start-up and if there is a problem with the TICS system in which case the light should remain on.

The reason for the switch is to disable the TICS system in case of getting stuck in mud etc. When the TICS system senses wheel spin, it automatically applies brakes and limits ram. Being able to shut the system off is important when performing an emission test with a dyno where both front wheels must spin at highway speed.
  • bcbobbcbob Member Posts: 13
    since I picked up my 01 Montana. My wife and kids love it, and I kinda like it too (staunch Ford fan, eh). I'm impressed by the ride and handling. Pick up isn't too bad for the engine and size of the van. Get a loud vibrating sound from the left rear that lasts for 5 seconds or so, most often just after start up but sometimes after shut down too. I kind of suspect that it's got something to do with the compressor or air leveling. Fit and finish is much better than many here described, only a small burn spot on the driver's seat for which they're going to replace the cover. No rattles, no creaks, no leaks. Fuel consumption is off it's Energuide rating by about 4l/100km but maybe that will improve as I get a few more km on it. Had a weird one happen this morning: got a scraper out and one of the overhead lights stayed on after all the others went out. Had to get in, let the lights turn off, then push the light off. Light wasn't on last night or this morning. At least I didn't think I left it on. Started fine, no sign that anything was wrong after, ie., light didn't stay on again. Overall, not too shabby.
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Although I have the Chevy Venture version, Montana owners may be interested in a new halogen bulb by Sylvania 9004CB which produces a white light. This gives better spread on low beam and longer range on full. About $15.00 each @ Pep Boys
    It has been posted on the Chev Venture site that State Farm have listed the Montana as one of 36 vehicles that could get an insurance break. This comes from an article last November when SF made this list available. It is not clear whether it applies to all States. In NJ SF do not know anything about this although I gave them the article.

Woul be interested to know whether any Montana/State Farm clients have any info.
  • frosty_00frosty_00 Member Posts: 11
    In reference to:

http://townhall-talk2.edmunds.com/Web?14@@.ee93a0a/385

As you suspect, the vibrating noise at the left rear is the air compressor for the load leveling. Assuming it behaves the same as my '98, it will come on whenever the load in the rear is increased, even with the ignition off.

As for the light staying on. It probably was on the night before and was not noticed. There is a provision in the electronics on the vehicle that will shut off power to all the interior lights after some time (don't know how long) to save the battery. So the light would no longer have been on in the morning, but would have reactivated when you opened the door or started the vehicle.

• publius24publius24 Member Posts: 4
    The pictures at highwaysafety.org are disturbing, but keep in mind that you are only looking at one source there, and they are not independent. It is certainly true that a car can perform significantly better on a test than another, but keep in mind that the results are for 1 type of test only. (Frontal offset - deformable barrier)

The NHTSA ratings show a different picture, out scoring the Sienna in one category of crash. I am not sure if I am comfortable with the Montanna's performance yet, but keep in mind that looking to one soure that evaluated one test, ON A MODEL THAT IS 4 YEARS OUT OF PRODUCTION AND THEN EXTRAPOLATED TO 2001 WITHOUT ALLOWING FOR ALL THE ADDITIONAL SAFETY FEATURES (SIDE AIRBAG, SIDE HEAD AIRBAG, PRETENSIONERS ETC.) added since the model that was, in fact tested, is not something that I would consider conclusive.

Plenty of resources out there, don't hang your hat on just one of them.
    The IIHS has not retested the GM vans because there have been no structural changes made to the platform. They do this with all of their tested vehicles, not just the vans. Even with pretensioners, the results wouldn't have changed much in the offset crash test. The safety cage would still have be compromised and the dummy would've ended up in about the same location. Side impact airbags are irrelevant in the IIHS since they don't deploy in front impacts.

FYI, the NHTSA also carries over the crash test results from previous model years if there have been no structural changes. They just don't tell you about it.

The Sienna that was tested did not have side impact airbags, so the 4 star side impact rating for the front passengers does not apply to a Sienna with that option.

Drew
    Host
    As I said, I am still not sold on Montana's performance. Your point about the Sienna and the NHTSA scores reinforces my overall point, which is don't take one source as conclusive.

As far as your conclusory allegations about the pretensioners not changing the offset crash test results, yes and no. The same safety cage intrusion would be expected, but I don't think the femur load predictions can be reliably extrapolated. One of the things that an accident re constructionist looks at in trying to set out the kinematics, at least as my limited experience goes, would be the pelvic forces. In fact, I think one of the measures at NHTSA is some kind of force measurement for pelvis I load or some such thing. Now, the lap portion of the belt should function the same regardless of pensioners, but I am fairly confident I'd tear someone up in Court if they were attempting to offer expert testimony saying they could reliably and accurately predict the movement of the pelvis when the torso is allowed different degrees of movement in two different scenarios.

I will have to momentarily defer to you on the side impact and curtain air bags not deploying in the offset crashes, cause I don't know otherwise. But, it seems silly to me that this is the case. An offset crash induces a rotational force because 60% of the car is undergoing a different acceleration than the other 40%, thus an important measure is the travel of the head and does it slide towards the driver door (a pillar, b pilar contact, I believe is the jargon.) Cripes, if this is something that is measured, then why is all of that built in safety sitting there unactivated?
  • galergaler Member Posts: 3
    Our 98 transport extended van has been pretty reliable until now. We have had some electrical problems - front auto door lock buttons not working due to corrosion of wiring in both front doors (repaired by dealer several times even after warranty ran out), service engine light coming on (readjust gas cap position or fill with gas), seat belt light comes on when everyone is hooked, temperature gauge goes haywire occasionally. However, now with 59,000 miles on it we are told we need to replace the transmission with a remanufactured one (about $2000) or overhaul the existing one (about $1700) because seals are leaking inside. This started about a week ago when shifting from park to drive when van was cold. Wouldn't move - acted like it was still in park. Shifting back to park and then to drive again works. Dealer is offering no recourse and haven't heard back from Pontiac. Have serviced regularly but never changed transmission fluid because wasn't recommended. We bought this expecting it to last 10 years without major problems and have loved it to this point. Anybody else out there with transmission problems on newer transports?
    I have no information specific to Pontiac, but I can tell you I just 2 weeks ago got Ford to pay an out of Warranty claim by going to NHTSA's site, reviewing the incident reports for my make, model, and year, copying the posts that were about my specific problem, and presenting them to the dealer. There were about 10 posts out of maybe 125 from vehicle owners who had experienced my problem specifically.

Don't look in the TSB section, but rather look in the consumer section.
  • ricric Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1999 Montana and like it a lot. We wanted 8 seats, and didn't want the power sliding door. Accumulating $4300 of AM Card points and paying ~200 over invoice also brought the cost down quite bit.

We have a few minor quirks and wondered if anyone else has the same quirks

1. Wing windows on the sliding doors chatter when open (locked open)

2. the rear window washer pours rather than sprays the rear window. Had the dealer replace twice and still just pours.

The last item. Does anyone know how I can disengage the auto headlight system or know where the sensor is? I don't mean the DRL's. There are many times I don't want the head lights on and would like to have the ability to turn them off.

Other than that, we think the car is great. We had a 91 Transport before and liked it and never had a problem with it (~115000 miles).
  • onyxtayloronyxtaylor Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the Montana's have Teather Straps for child safey seats? If so what year did they start? I noticed there are hooks on the
    rear seats of the 2001 model, but since they did not actually have the strap i am unsure if they
    actually support a store purchsed teather strao
  • lcioffilcioffi Member Posts: 1
    We have really enjoyed our van! One catch, our 1999 Montana is now on its third transmission with a fourth coming soon. The problem was irregular shifting. No locking up as described above. They first tried to rebuild the original. Originally the seals had burned out. The last two times they have put remanufacuter units in. This all started at about 24000 miles. Fortunately it has all been covered by the warranty. We have also seen a new radio because of the display panel and a new gas gauge. We are now negotiating with the dealer/GM in leu of the lemon law.
    Our 2000 Montana has Tether straps,No Tranny problems yet,Radio was replaced,part of the display would not light up,Gas gauge is fine,Bought ours Nov. 99 and have 31500 miles logged,rear tail lens was replaced due to moisture inside,we are averaging 22-23 miles per gallon mixed driving,mostly highway,love the van and are planning to buy a PONTIAC G/P GTP within the next year,seems pontiac has improved a little and will buy American again after a long period of owning imports.....GM,PLease don't let me down again!!!

Drew
    Host
    I have Venture 2000 and the headlight sensor is on the top of the dash in a tiny hole next the the red anti theft light.

Of course if you cover it up they will be on all the time. I have looked in the fuse guide but nothing isolates this without disrupting something else. Why is it such problem ?
  • oemmanoemman Member Posts: 1
    We have our 2001 Montana for 2 weeks now and are happy we got it. My wife and sons wanted a van and I did not. We had a 94 Transport 6 years ago that we liked alot and was a good vehicle mechanically. We decided to test drive the Montana and were extremely happy with it's looks,ride,and features. We love the room and most importantly, the second row captain's chairs really keeps my 2 boys from fighting. Great vehicle!