Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• charles1234charles1234 Member Posts: 1
    Have 99 V70 R with 32K. Car is a lemmon.. or does Volvo just make lame cars like their parent company Ford?. Recently require new front hub bearins, sprung multiple oil leaks, new breaks, new CV boots. My 30K service ended up costing 2K+. Asked Volvo for some compensation due to low mileage.. got a lame response about outta warranty. I should have heeded the consumer reports rating.. avoid this brand. There are so many alternative cars.. I regret now not considering that Suburu for 20K less, that Mercedes for 10K more, ( I have another one an love it ), or that Audi. So many other quality choices!
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    got a lame response about outta warranty.

No, you got a perfectly valid response about out of warranty...by two years!
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    Because a five or six year old car broke it is a lemon???????????????? Do you honestly think the Mercedes or Audi is better in reliability? I acn guarantee you they are no cheaper to fix.

There is a reason warranties are 4/years OR 50K miles.
  • joajoa Member Posts: 8
    Thinking about buying XC70, have not decided between this and Outback Sub. Reliability is a big sticking point and of cost has something to do with it. Are there any major complaints about the XC70? My wife and I wanted a 4WD SUV for skiing, winter driving and room but with gas prices we are looking at a wagon with AWD. Any advice would be apericated.

Thank you all,
    Joa
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    My advice is to check out the upcoming 2005 Outback before you make a final decision. Snazzy new interior, classy style, choice of 250HP turbo or 250HP 6-cyl, 5-speed auto, improve passenger space, etc.

The XC70 is a nice-looking wagon, but I have a feeling the new Outback will give it a good run for its money.
    To be fair though, his car didn't just break. It sounds like it fell apart on him. If I had to pay over $2K for my 30k service, I think I might be a tad upset too.
    I would be upset too, but you can't fault Volvo. And it certainly isn't a lemon.
  • rcn1rcn1 Member Posts: 3
    I plan on buying an R, but want to wait for the '05s. Any idea when we will start seeing them at the dealers? Thanks in advance.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Probably not till October. Best to order one as availability will be very limited.
    Thanks volvomax. The reasoning for me waiting for the '05 is for the second generation chassis control and other updates, most notably the color coded bodywork

Do you know if the V70R will be in more limited supply than last year?

Also, the '04 I drove is a red 6-speed that the dealer has had for some time. They say they will deal. The msrp is 42,500. Any guess as to how much room there is to bargain? Maybe I shouldn't wait if I can get this one for a fair price.

Thanks again.
    Thanks volvomax. The reasoning for me waiting for the '05 is for the second generation chassis control and other updates, most notably the color coded bodywork

Do you know if the V70R will be in more limited supply than last year?

Also, the '04 I drove is a red 6-speed that the dealer has had for some time. They say they will deal. The msrp is 42,500. Any guess as to how much room there is to bargain? Maybe I shouldn't wait if I can get this one for a fair price.

Thanks again.
    This isn't the exact forum for it, but since the actual discussion has been archived since '01, I'd like to get your impressions of the last of the RWD Volvos, the S/V90.
    I imagine the V70R will have a limit on its availability.
    1000 units would be alot IMHO.
    I believe thats how many were built for 2004.
    Right now you can get a free Premium pkg on the V70R. Value $1715, plus whatever discount you can work out.

lancer,
    Wow, the S90!
    That takes me back a long way. I had just started selling Volvo's the last year the S90 was available.
    What I liked about the car:
    Turning radius
    Ride
    seats, better than the S70
    What I didn't like:
    style
    handling
    back seat
    ergonomics
    All in all the S90 was a nice car, but obsolete.
    The S70 was a better car. the S90 being a warmed over 740/760.
    The S90 was a great buy however, at the end of the run we had big rebates on the car. You could buy a loaded S90 for under $30k. All the old school Volvo people were lined up to buy them.
    In many cases, the S90 was the last car we sold them. Most of the old school Volvo geeks don't like the new cars.
    I can get a pretty agressively-priced, low mile S90, and I was wondering if I should take the plunge. This would be a replacement for an '89 740, so obviously it'd be a step up...style-wise, I actually like the conservative yet not super-boxy S90...I know that it was passe in '98, but I think my sense of style is being vindicated as sharp edges and creases return to cars, and the ovoid look is being abandoned. The back seat would be occupied by car seats, and as I live in the midwest now, knife edge handling takes a back seat to refined highway cruising; those two issues wouldn't be a big deal. Now to convince Mrs. Lance...
  • snoopronsnoopron Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone comment on the V70/V70T performance on snow. I am debating between getting the V70 Turbo or the V70 Turbo AWD. I hear the non-AWD is very good on snow and would rather not go with the AWD due to cost and slightly degdraded acceleration.

Thanks for your help.
    rg
    Good luck lancer,
    Just get used to the valve clatter from the I6.

V70 in snow,
    If you get the T5 you'll proably need snow tires.
    Most T5's came with high performance summer tires.
    AWD is very nice, but rare. Most of the production went to the Cross Country which is what I would recommend.
    I've owned several Hondas, so a noisy valvetrain is old hat. :-) What do you think, though, am I better off going old school with the S90 or getting something like a late 850 or S/V70?
    I love the 850-S/V70. When I think of those I think RWD vs. FWD & highway cruiser vs. sportier. Pre S80/S60 no Volvo looked better than an 850/S70 with a spoiler and nice wheels.
    I go w/ an S70.
    More versatile car, fold down seats for example.
    Dual zone climate control.
    More rear seat room.
    Better safety, newer chassis design.
  • tunguyen99tunguyen99 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for a reliable and affordable wagon and am torn between Subaru Outback 05 2.5i and Volvo V70 2003. Fitzmall quoted me $23963 including freight (plus tax, title and processing fee). Is it a good deal and good car compared to Volvo V70. I like Volvo V70 03 very much because it looks very stylish, stable. Don Beyer from Falls Church, VA quoted me $27200 for this car with 20K miles equipped with standard options plus extra 2 seats in the back. Is it a good deal. Does it cost a lot more when it comes to maintenance? I always own Toyota or Honda so maintenance costs is relative low. Thanks for any advice.
    I've not driven the new Subie Outback but plan on doing so. On paper, the Outback looks to be a winner, and I'll be seriously considering one if the testdrive proves positive.

The V70 is no doubt very stylish (I like it too), but I think the Outback will offer more performance, reliability, and value.

I think the new Outback/Legacy may be the car that puts Subaru on the map as a serious mainstream contender, rather than just a niche player.
  • one less suvone less suv Member Posts: 2
    Responding to the question about driving your volvo wagon in the snow - my '01 T5 was terrible, but a good set of snow tires and rims that were smaller solved the problem - got through when many others were stuck in the driveway! I must say driving on the snows all winter when there the roads were dry was a bummer, although I live in the Northeast and travel north enough to justify snow tires. If I had to do it over again and had the cash I would look at the V70R - the extra hp to handle the added weight of the awd - when I bought my v70 it was not an option, only the XC has AWD and it was slow!
  • gibogibo Member Posts: 22
    My battery died this morning. It finally held a charge once I realized it was low on water. But now I can't get the key out of the ignition. (And I don't have the code to deactivate the anti-theft feature on the radio to get it to work again.) The Volvo dealer near me hasn't heard of this problem. Anyone have some thoughts on how I can get my key out?

Btw, I have a 2000 V70XC which I bought in October. It has been nothing but a huge headache. I cannot wait to get it off my hands.
    I had asked several weeks back about possible replacements for my aging 740, trying to decide between the S70 and S90. Friday I pick up my '98 S70 GLT. :-) Thanks for the advice.
    Great car!
    98 was the best year for the S70 GLT.
    Really, why's that? I've actually been reading it's the most problematic (but I'm buying it anyway...I AM a Volvo nut...)
  • garydoyle1garydoyle1 Member Posts: 8
    Where was that red 6-speed R wagon you drove?
    Actually was a good car.
    The steering was more exact than the 99.
    Plus, you had the better tranny, with the programmable Sport and Economy modes.
    Car was a full second faster than the 99 or 2000 models.
  • tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    We've put 116,000 miles on a 2000 V70 (base model, manual transmission) since we bought it new for about $27k. We had owned a 240 wagon, for 10 years, before this one.

My wife loves the car (though the engine is really showing its wear). The seats are exceptionally comfortable and supportive. It handles well and has plenty of room. With the 2001 model change, they look even better, and I believe they got a strengthened frame.

However, in my opinion, Volvos tend to be way overpriced for what you get. Maybe the V50 will begin to change that. I hope so, because I do admire the way Volvo pays more than skin-deep attention to safety. It is in things like the head restraints and power window switches, not just the number of airbags.
    My impression is Volvo prices are competitive or slightly lower than similar offerings from Audi, BMW, or Audi. But I think the kicker is Volvo is not generally thought of as in the same premium league. Even compared to Japanese brands, in people's minds Volvo is not even up to the level of Lexus. It's sort of comparable to Infiniti or Acura, in terms of public perception.
    When I say they are overpriced for what you get, I have in mind the V70 vs. the Passat wagon. We paid about $27K in 1999 or 2000 for our new 2000 V70. This was the base trim, manual trans with no options but a 6-disk cd player, at a below-invoice price.

Today, 4-5 years later, we could get a new 2004 Passat GLS Wagon with diesel engine, pay about MSRP, and still be under under $27K.
    This includes many features our Volvo does not have: automatic trans, sun roof, heated mirrors/washers/seats, roof rack, head curtain airbags, electronic stabilization program, as well as a diesel engine. Fuel economy is about 10 mpg better than our V70's, and the engine seems more powerful. This is for a nice-looking, comfortable car that has excellent safety features and build quality, and gets excellent reviews.

Now, I still don't think the Passat's seats are quite as comfortable (or as well designed for safety) as our Volvo's. My wife found it a little harder to steer. Rear leg room might be a tad less. But overall, the Passat seems a much better value.
    No doubt the Passat IS the better value. But that's mainly because VW is a "lower" brand than Volvo. So, to further illustrate, if you compare the V70 to a brand new Mazda 6 Sportwagon (a even lower brand in the automotive food chain) the value discrepancy is even more pronounced.

I guess what I was trying to say in my original post #1212 was that Volvo probably think of themselves in the same level as Audi, MB, etc. and as such, their prices are in line. BUT, IMO, the public perception of Volvo, in terms of brand prestige, is at a lower level. Therefore, there are many people who, like you, think Volvos are somewhat overpriced.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "the Passat seems a much better value."

According to edmunds.com, the Passat GLS with leather/wood package invoices at about $25,500.

I'm not sure about VW incentives, but Volvo is currently offering the "premium package" for free on the V70. That means a V70 with premium package (leather, moonroof, power seat, auto climate control, wood trim) and auto transmission invoices at about $28,500.

Although it's still $3000 more than the VW, I think that the V70 is a lot more car than the Passat. With current incentives, the V70 is an outstanding value.
    It may be a lot more car than the Passat, or not, depending on what you're looking for.

We have a 2.4L V70 with manual transmission. The Passat TDI I've test-driven, with Tiptronic (automanual) transmission and stability control, seems to get a lot more power from all the torque in that diesel engine. It also gets about 10 mpg better fuel economy. Just in terms of the drive train, I'd say it's more car than the V70, for less money.

But we still prefer the V70 interior, with or without the premium package.
     I think the seats are much more comfortable. So we would probably buy another V70 over the Passat. My wife definitely would.
    No doubt, VW's 2.0L TDI is a fine piece. It's hard to argue with 247 lbs ft of torque at 1900 RPM!

At about 10.5 secs to 60MPH, it's pretty quick for a diesel, and given all that low-end grunt, it probably feels a lot quicker than it actually is.

It's too bad diesel powered cars have such a negative image here in the US. I hope that VW and Mercedes can eventually change the way Americans think about diesel power.
    Yes.
    A V70 with diesel engine would be wonderful.
    If Volvo offered that, and kept the price within a few thousand of the Passat TDI, I probably would not even be looking at Volkswagen.
    What about the new Subaru Legacy?

Great boxer engine (with or without turbo)
    AWD
    Good looking inside and out
    Japanese reliability
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    "We can't keep used Cross Countrys in stock and the V70's just sit."

Yes, and the good thing for us drivers who aren't so fond of body cladding is that you can get a much better deal on a regular V70 :) When I bought my T5 in 2001 the discounts and lease rate were absolutely fantastic. Give me the extra horsepower and beautiful 17" wheels over AWD and SUV looks anyday!
    We have a new 2004 V70.
    This evening I was driving around, went for the highbeams,
    and found they would not stay engaged. I had to HOLD them on. But after parking the car and starting it up again, they seem to work just fine. There is nothing about the stalk that feels loose or otherwise defective. Am I dealing with a service problem, or is there something about the headlight operation that I have not understood?
  • tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,240
    What position was the headlight switch in? Was it turned to the off position where the low beams/DRL's are on or in the full on position? On my C70 the high beams flash when the stalk is pulled when the switch is in the off position(DRL) and stay on when in the on position.
    I believe I tried it with the headlight switch in all positions. It continued to behave the same, until after I'd parked the car and started up again.

I'll keep observing it to see if it's an intermittent fault, or controlled by the position of the hl switch. The sales rep had recommended we always leave the hl switch in the full on position, but old habits die hard.
    Congrats on the 2004 v70!

What features did you end up getting?
    I traded in our 2000 V70 for the basic 2004 V70 2.4, with no options but automatic transmission. This is our 3rd Volvo wagon, but the first with automatic.
    In the past I never would have wanted that feature, but now that I have it I'm liking it, and pleased by the fact it supposedly does not sacrifice fuel economy.

This car was a service loaner w/3700 mi already on it. A completely new car with packages would have been too expensive for my liking. However, I think Volvo has been throwing in the "premium" package as an incentive. I'd have liked a trip computer and Electronic Climate Control. Some of the other features we could either take or leave (sun roof, fake wood trim). The premium HU-803 sound system is interesting, but unfortunately it's unavailable on the 2.4. To get it, you have to buy more of a "performance" vehicle that gets poorer gas mileage.
  • capoanycapoany Member Posts: 32
    Just got the Titanium Edition V70 2.5t. Love it. The wheels/paint/trim give the car a much improved look. The torque-y 2.5T engine is a delight from 30- 70 MPH, and The load of options baked in to the package make it a value...especially in light of the loyalty incentive and dealer cash. $32K out the door.

My third Volvo after years of Audi and BMW. While I cant deny the fact that Volvo is perceived to be a notch below the other Euro brands, I don't care about the status, and the actual transaction prices for Volvo make the spread significant.
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    Actually, I grew up in Sweden and always thought of Volvo as an overpriced "regular" car. When I moved to the US and heard that people here thought of Volvos as premium/luxury cars in the same regard as BMW or MB, I was shocked.
    I don't think people here think of Volvo as the same class as MB or BMW. But they definitely place it above being just a "regular" car which would include the likes of Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and even VW. I think many Volvo customers are people who want to move into the premium brands but couldn't quite afford a MB, BMW, Audi. I don't think there are that many people anymore who buy Volvo because of their reputation for safety, because, as someone else posted, so many manufacturers offer comparable safety features nowadays.
  • shieattshieatt Member Posts: 75
    I don't know... while Volvo doesn't match the performance of a BMW or the fit and finish of a MB, I would argue that they nevertheless are competitive brands. I think Volvo fills a nice niche for people who want an upmarket car without conveying the snob factor that goes with driving a MB, BMW or Lexus. I would put Audi into the same niche to a certain extent. The price variation just isn't that great anymore among these brands vs. Volvo. Also, I disagree that safety isn't still a huge selling point for Volvo... while other manufacturers continue to copy Volvo's advances from the 3 point seatbelt, to airbags, etc.), Volvo continues to maintain cutting edge safety (XC90 a great example, with RSC, inflatable curtains in all three rows, boron steel roof, etc.), as well as inherent safety engineering that doesn't necessarily come across in feature lists and crash tests. No other manufacturer does more intensive crash testing and modeling. Not to say that BMWs and MBs aren't safe cars, but I think that for a consumer with safety first on their list, Volvo will be first as well.
  • sdufordsduford Member Posts: 577
    A big part of what makes a car good value for money is your own set of values.

If you place safety and comfort above everything else, then Volvos are good value for money. But if you place handling, pure driving enjoyment, "prestige", or reliability first, then there are many cars that provide better value for your dollars.

I don't think the new S40/V50 change that equation much. For the price of an S40 T5 AWD, one can get an Infinity G35x, a much larger and more reliable car that many reviewers have placed ahead of the BMW 3 series.
  • yankyank Member Posts: 2
    B"H We are looking at the V70 for a 2nd car for my wife with two small children under three. My main concern is safety and reliability; I currently own a '92 240 with >120K miles and have been pleased on both accounts above. Since I have never purchased a wagon, I am in the dark about the way to proceed, and would appreciate comments on the following:
    1) Is there any advantage other than price of a pre 2004 model to the current 2004?
    2) If I get just the "base" model and forgo the extras, am I being penny-wise and pound foolish?
    3) Are there questions I should be asking that I am not?
    thanks,
    Yank
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    1) I assume you are thinking about getting a new V70? The 2004 model, not the yet-to-arrive 2005? In that case, there are no advantages OTHER than price for a 2004 over a 2005. With these incentives currently in place, there's no point in buying used. A base V70 with a free premium package, if you can find it, would probably suit you best (unless you're interested in some more punch, but if your current vehicle is a 240... Just get the base.)
    2 ) I kind of answered that already. Base, don't worry about money. Just get what's right for you, and don't try to be smart about it if you're thinking about resale value. Simply put, looking at the fact that you're driving around in a '92 240, it doesn't matter what you buy - there won't be a resale value when it's time to sell/trade in. And whatever extra equipment you get, you're not going to get anything for it later on so that would only be for your own enjoyment - if you like a premium stereo and you think it's worth the extra money for it, then get it. Just don't think of it as an investment becuase it's not!
    3) No. The Volvo V70 is definately a car for you. Two kids under three, they need to be safe and you also need to be able to carry around a bunch of stuff. So, a base V70, built in booster seats are cool but about $200 more than just getting the regular kind. However, make sure to get a cargo net so stuff in the trunk doesn't turn into killing projectiles in the event of a collision.