Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• stevewastevewa Member Posts: 203
    On all the XCs (pre 2002 or so) watch out for viscous coupling wear. If PO did not keep tire pressures correct and didn't rotate tires correctly it's possible the VC could be on its way out. Get the car on a parking lot (warmed up), roll down the window and make some tight turns at slow speeds and listen for excessive tire scrubbing. If you can hear scrubbing or feel binding in the movement of the car the VC might be starting to go. When they go they ususally seize up which is not pretty.

At least the 98s did not have the infamous electronic throttle module.

We owned a 2000 XC which we bought new. It's a very nice car, but the fuel economy driving around town is terrible (16 mpg) so we just traded it on a Ford Escape Hybrid. It does everything we needed the Volvo for, cost less brand new, and gets almost double the mpg. Certainly the XC was a safer car, but improvements in all cars have pushed the state of the art forward. I suspect the Escape is safer than the last of the 240 series cars, for instance.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Seen too many Explorers end up mangled, I'd rather be in the 240.
    Remember the Explorer was (is?) a traditional body on frame design. The new generation of SUV (especially the smaller ones) are unibody design and are really more car than truck.
  • ytjkytjk Member Posts: 9
    This is my second volvo, my first was a 1986 240-- lovely car that.

I got this car through the Overseas Delivery Programme. Nice.

My wife drove it for 5 years. Now, with the third (and last) child, she moved onto a minivan, so the '86 had to go, and I moved into the Station Wagon.

I like it-- solid 30.5 MPG to work. 66 Miles round trip, so it's real good.

Here's my problem. I idle at about 875 or so. When braking, right before the car stops (2-7 MPH or so) the RPM's sometimes retard down into the 500-650 range, almost stalling. I occasionally get a loss of power braking assist, it's so bad.

Anyone have an idea?? It also "chugs" pretty good on startup in the mornings-- if I don't drive it for more than 1 day.

I did all the MX on the 240 myself, I look at this V70, and it's greek to me.

The V70 has been dealer maintained up through the 45,000 miled service. Ready to can them. It has 56,000 on it now.

Any advice?? I don't see a V70 MX board here...

Thanks

Jeff
    Yes, still they are small vehicles made of cheap materials, no high strength steel.

None of the chassis reinforcements, made simply to pass govt safety tests.

Even if you only get rear ended, no anti whiplash protection.

They are not bad cars, just nothing that you can hold up as a credible alternative to a Volvo.
    If it happens on braking I can think of two things that might be happening. 1. a vacuum leak, or 2. a tranny issue.

I'd look at the vacuum leak possibility first, it's usually the cheapest to fix anyway. There's also a possibility the computer might have stored a code, if you have access to an OBD-II scanner you might learn more (you'd know at least as much as the dealer tech at that point!).
    Perhaps. But much of Volvo's safety technology is appearing in other Ford models. The new Escape has side impact and side curtain airbags, it has the Haldex AWD system, and the hybrid technology could be seen as an offshoot of the Environmental Concept Car of the 1990s.

Volvo, meanwhile, is clearly heading in the opposite direction. The fact that Volvo's answer to $2/gal gasoline is a bigger engine in its SUV, and a bigger engine in its "entry level" model speaks volumes on the shift from one of their core values, care for the environment. I've owned 5 Volvos (2 PV544, 1 244, 1 855 and 1 V70XC) and with the exception of the 855 wagon, each has been a step backwards with respect to fuel economy. The V70XC, even though it was 5 model years newer than the 855, had a higher pollution index.

Someone said "Without a liveable environment all other considerations are irrelevant". The crash safety of my car doesn't mean much if I can't breathe the air.
  • bing330ibing330i Member Posts: 89
    Hi, I am debating if I should get a 2003/04 XC70 for $27-29k or so or a Mercedez C240 wagon for $25k, for Metro DC use. Both are less than 10k miles. My thinking is the XC70 is bigger, but it may repeat the path of Audi Allroad (eventually decommissioned), at least newer model will come sooner than the C class. There are not a lot of info (regaridng reliability on XC70 as it is not too popular). Also, I know MBZ better as my family has always used MBZs. I know nothing about Volvo. Your insight on this debate would be appreciated.
  • ytjkytjk Member Posts: 9
    Thanks Steve--

I'll start trying to track down the vacuum system. I'm sure nothing is as easy as it was on the 240, but as I move into the "MX required" years of the car, I guess it's about time to get under the hood.

Jeff
    Airbags alone are not a measure of safety.

If the underlying structure isn't strong enough an airbag won't be enough.

As for Volvo's and the environment. A 244 pollutes more just sitting than the ULEV II V8 does running.

A PV544 is nowhere near as efficent as an S40 T5.

Time and technology have allowed for more performance and better efficency.

The 855 vs Cross Country argument is flawed. If you were to compare an 855 to a V70 that would be better. The V70 is more powerful, more refined and more efficent.
  • wyattwyatt Member Posts: 18
    I am looking for feedback on whether or not this would be considered a reasonable purchase price for the XC70, 2005 model. This would be a factory order car.

Base-32,756

Frght-685

Met Paint-387

Climate Pkg-537

Prem Pkg-2575

Conv Pkg-683

Wood St. Wheel-279

Bi-Xenon lights-602

16" Xenia Wheels-258

Sirus Sat Prep-55

HuU 850 Stereo/6 CD Changer-1032

Park Asst-344

DSTC-597

Int. Air Quality-150

Dealer Adv fee-250

$41,190

+ 3% over invoice (see above prices, all are invoice)

or a total of $42,425.70

This compares to MSRP of $44,220.

I need to make a decision fairly quickly. Also, dealer advises that Volvo is hiking prices by $500 the first of the year. Has anyone heard that?
    Quite a fair offer.

Haven't heard about a price increase though.
    Just found the price increase bulletin in my

@#$%! in- basket!

If you place you order before 12-31 you can be price protected.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Volvomax, I'm a Section 179 buyer and I've been looking at various vehicles that hit the 6000 GVW mark. If they aren't too big (i.e., the truck based SUVs), the money is wrong (e.g., the Cayenne and the X5), or the just don't do it for me (e.g., the FX45 and the XC90)

Is there any way to option out an XC70 to hit 6000 GVW ?
    I know all the safety arguments, I used to make them but if you've looked at the Freestyle it's basically an XC 90 without all the ugly bumps and edges. It has the same basic safety cage design.

I just can't see the Volvo value proposition any more. And with the dollar continuing to weaken it's not going to improve in the near future...
  • lancerfixerlancerfixer Member Posts: 1,284
    Agreed on the Freestyle (I drove one and was impressed, with the exception of the cheap-ola interior) but I don't see how that arguement transfers into the Escape. I just looked at the IIHS ratings for the Escape, and the crash results are nothing to write home about.
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    but go easy on the symbols, please - that is against the rules :)

kcram

Host - Wagons
    Actually the Freestyle doesn't.

It uses the Volvo blueprint, but without all the high strength steel.
    GVWR is a function of a vehicle's capabilities.

It is the sum total of a vehicles weight, weight of all possible occupants, cargo, fuel etc.

An XC70 can't achieve a 6000 lb rating.

The rating must be certified by the Fed Gov't.

What don't you like about the FX or the XC90?
    It doesn't necessarily transfer. The point I was making is that other car makers are designing cars that are competitive with Volvo in the safety department.

Volvo USED to be a special, different kind of company. I think they've lost some of that. Volvo used to be willing to buck perceived customer demand if it was in the interest of safety or the environment for instance. Now it seems to me that Volvo will deliver a car that is safe as long as safety concerns don't get in the way of marketing.

Consider the availability of "privacy glass". Volvo did not offer it on their production vehicles (I'm guessing the limos had it) until about 2002. Then it starts showing up everywhere. The problem with "privacy glass" is other drivers now can't see through the vehicle to traffic ahead of them or on the other side. With a large tall vehicle like the XC90 drivers need to be able to see through but I have yet to see an XC90 on the road without the darkly tinted windows (I know you can or could order laminated side windows that were not tinted, but I've never seen a vehicle so equipped).
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    I don't think that you can argue that Volvo has diminished in the least its emphasis on safety. What is happening is that other manufacturers are slowly catching up to Volvo with some models with some options. For example, the Ford Expedition has a safety canopy air bag system IFF you buy the sunroof. IMHO these are not across the board gains but dependent upon model and options. GM (with the exception of SAAB) I think is the slowest to emphasize safety. The General only has minimal air bags and only just recently moved their seat belt fasteners off the door (in a high speed crash if the doors opened the front seat occupants could easily fall out).

The privacy glass issue is a red herring. Large, glass structures need tinted glass to avoid cooking everyone inside like a Block Island lobster.
    I disagree with the assessment that large glass structures need windows tinted as darkly as the "privacy glass" product being pushed nowadays. My 2002 Prius has UV tinted glass that does a good job of keeping temperatures down. Volvo wagons have had a tremendous amount of window area for years and only now is it necessary to tint so darkly?

Privacy glass is a marketing requirement, and nothing else. It is a safety hazard (which is why percentage of window tint is regulated by law in some states) and by caving in to the marketing department Volvo engineers have compromised their integrity. The same goes for efficiency. Volvo could have designed vehicles with better fuel economy but they've become addicted to the enthusiast press for more, more, more power.
    For those unaware, only vehicles legally classed as trucks may have privacy glass installed at the factory. The XC70 and XC90 are classed as SUVa, not cara, therefore they comes with it. Dealers may install privacy glass on cars either as a dealer-installed option or at the request of a customer, but it must meet the regulations of the state the car will be registered.

The reason trucks are allowed is because, by legal definition, a truck only has to have three windows (windshield and front door glass - think of a panel van as an example). All other windows on a truck are technically "optional" and can be as dark as the manufacturer wants.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • larscalarsca Member Posts: 60
    Volvo has never, ever been ahead of the pack when it comes to fuel economy. That has never been their strong point. Only recently have they started getting better at it, and that's when Yamaha is building their engine! (The V8 is ULEV II certified and when coupled to the XC90 it has better milage than the competition.)

As for tinted windows, or privacy glass, at least here in SoCal it's if not a must have, a nice have. You're right that it's hard to see through vehicles with tinted glass. That means you need to keep your distance to the vehicle a bit farther and absolutely do not tail gate (I HATE tailgaters).

My point is that privacy glass is sort of in the grey zone to be a safety issue or not. You could argue that with the tinted windows the car doesn't get as hot so the driver is less bothered and more alert, hence it's safer. You could argue that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense. Neither does the privacy glass being a sign of Volvo no longer being safety conscience.
  • wyattwyatt Member Posts: 18
    I contacted an out of town dealer, and he has notified me that he can sell me the XC70 equipped as follows:

The car is equipped with the Premium, Climate, and Convenience packages and is also equipped with Bi-Xenon headlamps.

Their price: $39,052.

-$1500 incentive.

for a final cost of $37,552.

I think this is a vast improvement over what my local dealer offered. Comments anyone?
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    My mother found a nice, clean '00 V70 XC at a dealership in northern New England. It is a beige, one-owner car and has 56k miles on it. They're asking $19.5k for it. Is this a good deal or what? Also, had Volvo worked out the kinks on its AWD system by 2000? (Volvomax your comments would be appreciated)

p.s. I think this XC seems like an excellent buy.
    AWD system should be fine.

Car is being offered at retail Kelley book.

Is it certified?

If not, you should be able to do better.
    The 2000 cars still have the "syncro" AWD system. As long as tires were properly maintained it should be OK. The Haldex AWD didn't come to the V70 until 2002 or 2003.
  • kamala95kamala95 Member Posts: 14
    We picked up our 05 Titanium Grey V70 last week. Wanted to give first impressions (after approximately 300 miles of driving):

-Likes-

1- Ride & Comfort- Unbelievably good. We went down to a wagon from a EB Explorer, and my wife initially had concerns over the vehicle size difference. Seems that the rear seating area is more comfortable for all. Booster seat is a big hit for our little guy (6 yrs old). Air filtration & climate control (love the dual temp knobs) seem to work superbly. I really like the filtration system. Radio seems to work fine, and gets stronger reception than vehicle it replaced or my work car.

Usable cargo room is pretty comparable as well.

2- Performance & Fit/Finish- Again a success. I thought the 2.4 would drag a bit when all five (3 adults and 2 kids) were in the vehicle, but acceleration is more than adequate for us. Approx 30 MPG highway, and 25-27 in mixed conditions. Gas mileage has been fantastic. Again coming from the Exp, no comparison. Fit & Finish is as expected, excellent. Very solid vehicle.

3- Purchase experience- Worked with Stadel Volvo in Lancaster County, PA. Very favorable experience and recommend them highly. Not high pressure or expected tactics. Hopefully the beginning of a long lasting relationship.

Dislikes- Thus far pretty minor (obviously). Would like the clock in the center console/radio area, versus where it is located in driver dash. Seems that a 6 CD in dash changer should not only be available, but standard for a vehicle in this class. Auto dimming mirror should be standard too I think. Overall, has been a great experience (thus far). Will post additional impressions around mid year.

Conclusion- We cross shopped to Passat TDI, Magnum, Subby GT & OB XT Ltd, and this vehicle bested all in our opinion (all factors considered). I'd say OB/GT were second, but seating room was noticably smaller.
    Is there a pattern that Volvo give more rebate than other times during a model year. For a XC70, Dec manufacturer rebate was $1500, now $2000. As I am in no hurry to buy a car, I can wait until the best deal time. TIA.
  • yminkcyminkc Member Posts: 2
    Check out this link

http://www.volvocars.us/FinancialServices/Overseas/

This program allows you to save thousands on a new volvo, but you have to go get it in Sweden, and they give you free airplane tickets, one night lodging, allow you to drive your car in europe, get insurance for it, then ship it home for you. This deal is cheaper than your dealer, and you get a free airfare to Sweden roundtrip for two. I am not a spammer or salesperson. Just a cheapskate that looks for a great deal. Screw a volvo salesman....they know the type of folks that drive volvo..frugle (another word for cheap..tight..miserly)
    Thanks, yminkc. I was aware of this program. As manufacturer rebates do not apply to OSD, I am not sure euro delivery is the best deal to go with Swedish cars, volvo or saab. Their marketing discounts are just too much IMO. Also, there is no bargain for OSD MSRP. I did my BMW thru OSD with price even $$$ lower than BMW's OSD MSRP. I do not know why, it seems with only BMW can negotiate down OSD price, not others. Maybe more younger (=poor?) buyers for BMW thus bargain harder :-)

Thanks,
  • newberrynewberry Member Posts: 2
    My Volvo V70 2.5T drives great. It's very quick and quiet. There is, however, a problem.

I get a "thunk-thunk" under the driver-side floor board when moving and turning slowly. The problem is intermittent and the dealer can't figure it out. Very disappointing.

I never had such a problem with my Dodge Caravan, Acura Integra, Honda Accord, Honda Civic, Dodge van, Toyota pick-up.

And my wife's S60 rubs a wheel when turning full left. The dealer said they all do that. Huh? Fix it! It's true they might all do that -- I heard a customer complaining about the same problem with her S60 while I was in the service department.

Not good. If it's not soon fixed, I will not buy another Volvo after I trade these in in three years.
  • duckdoggerduckdogger Member Posts: 6
    Would love to slap every sales person who says, "They all do that." Hey, all newborn babies are slimy just out of the chute, but hospitals do clean them up before sending them home. Sheech.
  • blackadder1999blackadder1999 Member Posts: 2
    I totally agree. I'm glad to hear that CR is not the final opinion on cars in the respect to Volvo. I LOVE my 2001 XC Turbo that I picked up for a tidy 18,000. Its not a sports car, so I'm not expecting it to corner like a Jag and its not a luxury car, so I'm not expecting it to absorb every bump like a Lincoln. It is what it is. I think mine has warped rotors. Has anyone had problems with their rotors being warped?
  • blackadder1999blackadder1999 Member Posts: 2
    I read somewhere that someone in this forum had a URL for a good wholesale tire company that sold the scorpions for like 90.00 each. Anyone hear of such a thing?
  • madmaynardmadmaynard Member Posts: 4
    I had a 1997 Volvo 850 with the same clunking noise. I must have gone back to the dealership at least 5 times. No satisfaction. Finally, I said fuhget it! I just lived with it. Minor minor annoyance. End of story...my nephew now has the car with 120,000 miles and it still runs like a top (sometimes I wish I didn't have the $500/ car payment and that car back in my garage!)

Story Part 2: I have a 2004 wagon and I noticed a similar clunking noise! Oh well...I guess if that's the worst thing....
  • gadgetfilesgadgetfiles Member Posts: 20
    My wife is insisting that we replace my current commuter w/ a Volvo - safety issues primarily.

I drive 130 mi. round trip daily - all interstate in Nebraska. I'm carrying some precious cargo in the form of my 3yr old daughter.

I have access to the Ford X plan.

I went to our local dealer and was checking out the V50 AWD units - which I would buy pretty loaded in terms of options - sticker around $35k.

He pointed me toward a 2004 V70. It's the 2.5T, metallic green (yuk) pretty loaded - sticker at $38k. It's a retired demo w/ 7,000 mi. - they are asking $29k.

Love the price, size, options, slightly better gas mileage of the V70.

Wondering about the AWD system and if I should insist on getting a car with that. I like the traction - but I really only need it 5 or 6 days a year. I figure if it's too bad, I shouldn't be on the highway. And I have a Jeep Liberty if it's really urgent.

The v70 is auto with the winter driving option and the DTSC skid control. Wouldn't that be enough for most situations? It's doubtful that I would be switching tires to snows BTW - although I believe in good, good all-seasons. (just being honest)

I'm wary of the V50 since this is it's first year. Since I don't know what the Xplan will yield for me, I don't know if this is a $9k decision or something more like a $4k decision (although that's still a good chunk of money)

Appreciate any thoughts about the AWD system and the V70 in the snowbelt. Or reliability of the '04 V70.
  • madmaynardmadmaynard Member Posts: 4
    I picked up a 2004 Volvo V70 T5 w/19,000 miles for 30K...loaded it topped out at around 39,000. So moneywise you are right on it...

As far as traction, unknown to me...this is my 3rd Volvo...with your daily mileage, it would be worth it. PS I have a 3 and 1 yr old...I'm banking on Volvo keeping us safe.
    First, get a price on the V50 AWD.

The V50 probably will be $3000 more than the 04 V70, if they are firm on the $29k for the V70.

The V70 would be fine, the combination of FWD and DSTC will see you through most days.

Obviously the AWD would be better.

Is it 3-4k better?
  • hugheshughes Member Posts: 3
    Need some help here.

I have a 2001 XC with 70K in excellent shape with $600.00 of new tires. I'm selling it and getting new one. I'm asking $20,000, and everyone says they would love to have it but I'm asking way too much. Why? the NADA book in my area says trade in is $20.5 to 21K and average retail (private person is about $23 to 23.5K. Anyone have any ideas? I don't think the book can be that far off. People seem to want it for about $12 to 15K max.??? The car is loaded and in perfect,really perfect condition. Puzzled?

Thanks for your comments in advance. Hughes
  • anotherwagonanotherwagon Member Posts: 301
    I've found books are indeed way off on trade values. Check w/Real World Trade in Values on Edmunds. Post the requested info and Terry will give you a real world estimate. Lots of good info re: book values there too. Good luck.
  • scottlscottl Member Posts: 109
    Once you get to $20K, there are a lot of options. You are within striking distance of an '05 Legacy. You can get a similarly used MB ML320, BMW 320ix, a gazillion SUV's, etc.

It is purely competition. When people buy used, they are looking at a lot of factors. Being a Volvo is not necessarily a good thing, when repairs are so expensive.

If the trade-in is 21K, why are you trying to sell it for 20K?

Trade it.
    Kelley Wholesale book is @ $17,500 after the mileage hit.

Trade-in is prob $14-15k real money.

Private party is probably $16-17k.

What hurts you is the mileage.

People tend to be wary of high mile luxury cars.
  • heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Two more things that are hurting you:

1. Current rebates on new XC70's

2. Dealer lots LOADED with Certified Pre-owned ones.

Yours isn't dealer certified, and it has no warranty. Besides, '01 wasn't the best year for this car, repair-wise.

My sister-in-law paid about $32K for a (loaded) 2004 Certified Pre-owned XC70 with 16,000 miles five months ago. I think she could have done better, but she didn't haggle as it was exactly what she wanted-- including the Ice Green color.
  • robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Hughes - go over to real world trade in values and post it. Terry will give you the word.
  • tom21769tom21769 Member Posts: 63
    DSTC is a good thing. It helps protect you 365 days a year,

in addition to improving snow performance those 5 or 6 days a year. An IIHS study recently showed impressive reductions iin accident rates and fatalities for ESC/DSTC-equipped vehicles.

AWD not only costs you more up front, it costs you in lost fuel economy every day you drive it. I can't see any cost/benefit advantage for it if you only need it a few days per year.

I have about 13k on the V70 we bought last summer. Only problem so far was a loose rubber seal at the rear gate, which Volvo replaced when they did an oil change. It's a very comfortable travelling and commuting car. Excellent cargo hauler, too.

For the kind of driving you do, I'd lean toward the V70.

The V50 might be better for mostly city driving where you'd want more maneuverability.
  • camydogcamydog Member Posts: 64
    Hi all, been awhile since I posted. We are back in the states now and are having culture shock problems after being in Europe for almost 4 years. Wow, Americans have a weight problem! And what's the deal with people hanging out in the left lane on the Interstates?

Anyway, I waxed my V70 before it was shipped and I got wax on the black side trim and can't get it off. Any help is greatly appreciated.

It is good to be back in the good U.S. of A despite culture shock. Support our troop.

Thanks.
    If it's not a lot of wax, a little rubbing alcohol will clean that up. If it's a lot, and the material can handle it, try bug/tar remover.

kcram

Host - Wagons
  • jsandek1jsandek1 Member Posts: 5
    Recently had this done on a '04 XC which had been delivered Fall '03. I had always noticed some strange shifting behaviour, sort of like two shifts for every upshift when under load, perhaps a steep grade. BUt took a recent high speed trip to the slopes... OK the Berkshires are not exactly mountains but you get the idea.... and the car performed what the dealer described as a power downshift at low speed part throttle. They downloaded latest software during a recent oil change....it feels really different. No more funny shifting up hills. Just curious if anyone else has experience similar.