Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volvo V70 Wagon Experience

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I would not put my children in the 3rd seat. My friend was rear-ended while waiting at a red light. Fortunately, he had just dropped his children off at school - their stuffed animals that were left in the seat were completely mangled. He went out the same day and bought a Lexus SUV.

Don't put them in the left or right outboard 2nd row seats either because you might be T-Boned while going through an intersection. Oh, and of course, don't put them in the front passenger seat because in a frontal collision, the airbag might seriously injure them.

Now that you mention it, don't let them outside the house, they might be hit by a car while crossing the street.
  • stmssstmss Member Posts: 206
    Your'e right of course. It all comes down to risk and exposure. Intersections are most dangerous. Don't know if T-bones or rear enders are more common - I think t-bones?

Can't single out Volvo here - take a look at any third row seat in most any vehicle. - most are no more than a foot or two from the rear glass. Some better than others. Depending on what hits you, the Lexus SUV will likely be no better.

Unfortunately, life is such that many of us need a vehicle that can hold more than 5 and we are no longer allowed to put all kids in the back seat like Dad use to do with the Chevy Biscayne.
  • volvomaxvolvomax Member Posts: 5,238
    Were the animals belted in to the 3rd seat?
  • driveindrivein Member Posts: 15
    We own a 1997 Volvo GLT wagon with 99K miles and this year had the 3rd seat installed by our Volvo dealer. We used a Volvo rebate offer [use Volvo genuine parts and receive $ back] to try to minimize the price but I grant you it wasn't cheap.

We have 3 children, ages 6,4 and 2 and needed a way to have a 4th child in the car [car pool, friends, etc.]. We made the investment because we want to have this car long enough that our 6 year old can have it when he gets his license. Additionally, the 3rd seat gave us some breathing room [no pun intended] while we decide what car to buy to replace my husband's 1997 850 GLT sedan [an XC90 versus Honda Pilot debate that we haven't resolved] We do not have our oldest ride in the 3rd seat on the highway, and use it merely around town. I do have fond memories of traveling to Florida in the back of my parent's station wagon [with 7 total in the car!]. The dealer never once suggested from a safety standpoint that we shouldn't install it.
    Your approach to this is identical to ours - use the third seat for casual/occasional use and try to keep risk low when using it. It wasn't too long ago that you simply put 4 in the back seat for the occasional trip but no longer acceptable.

I just went through the replacement option and also looked at XC90 and Pilot but went with the Freestyle (based on Volvo platform) due to ergonomics - better interior layout and space. Of course less money than either (quite a bit). I just wish Ford would put the Volvo seats in it. Should look at it. Getting very good owner reviews!
    The Freestyle is going to be dropped due to poor sales.
    In addition to not using the Volvo seats the Freestyle doesn't use Volvo's hardened steels in the chassis.
    So what - it is still being made and being sold now. The debate is on about the future of the Freestyle from being discontinued to showing up as a renamed Mercury to everything in between. As far as sales go, the debate is similiar and ranges from Fords lack of promotion to stealing sales from more profitable Explorer to media reviews.

I am not trying to say that Freestyle is a replacement for, or same as the XC90 but only an alternative. And for almost $20k less money for similar equipment it is a good one. But if you want the Volvo prestige, go ahead.
    And for almost $20k less money for similar equipment it is a good one. But if you want the Volvo prestige, go ahead

$20,000 less?

At Ford.com I built a Freestyle Limited AWD with Safety Package, Homelink, and Moonroof for $32,000 after rebate.

At volvocars.us, I built an XC90 2.5T AWD with free premium Package for $38,000.

Personally, I think $6,000 is a reasonable premium for the Volvo's luxury ride, comfortable seats, higher quality materials/build, additional built-in safety features, more powerful engine, longer warranty, and 4 years free maintenance.
    First of all I am in Canada so I need to assume that the Freestyle and Volvo prices are similar here other than exchange rate. Second, we need to ensure we are comparing similar equipment.

I just picked up a 06 Freestyle Limited, loaded with nav and dvd for $43k cdn (35.8k US?). A base XC90 '5 Seater' is $50k ($41.7k US). A base XC90 7 Seater is $56.4k cdn ($47k US). The 7 seater is over $6k more than the same 5 seater here. Add the premium and convenience package which you need to do to get the same level of equipment along with $5k cdn worth of nav and dvd equipment and you quickly get to $64.4k ($53.6kUS). of course, if you upgrade again to V8 add some more cash.

When I was faced with this difference in price it wasn't much of a decision. If the Volvo was only $6k more I probably would have picked one up for some of the reasons you state. All $6k here gets me from the Freestyle I have to a base XC90 5 seater - and I already had a V70 7 seater.
    Yup, Canadians definitely get the short end of the stick when it comes to car prices.
  • growwisegrowwise Member Posts: 296
    True... Canada sucks when it comes to car prices, gas prices, astronomical insurance costs and congested traffic because of poor planning. Anyways, I digress...

Can anyone give some input on volvo car seats? I am more keen on upper back support.
    Canada sucks when it comes to car prices, gas prices, astronomical insurance costs and congested traffic because of poor planning.

high car prices - Maybe (depends on cdn $ value which is now high compared to the poor US $), high gas prices - yes (it is about $2.50us/usgal where I live, is that high), high insurance - yes (pay $500 US/year - is that high), traffic (must be thinking about Toronto), poor planning - maybe but we have no toll roads to pay for new ones.

It isn't all that bad - uniiversal health care, more work than we know what to do with and more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia.
    My insurance cost is 300 bucks per month. I used to pay 100 bucks a month with same history in states... btw, 300 is the cheapest I found (most wanted 400 a month with same history with which I paid 100 a month to GMAC, Esurance, AllState etc)

Gas is right now 90 cents a litre which is around 4 bucks almost with 15% tax.

Cars are priced ridiculously high.. 28K CAD for same cars that are around 20K USD which is around 23K CAD.

Universal healthcare is a bunch of BS. If you add up your taxes, it amounts to taxes + health insurance in states.. Quality however is a different story.. You will have to wait for hours on end before you see a doctor.. and if you need surgery forget it.. If its not related to heart.. wait for several months or even years.. BTW, its like a frozen tundra right now here...but I digress...
    Then you need to move to Alberta (or,if it is so bad, move back to US). Health care is a total other story. Despite its faults here it will not backrupt you. My Dad who use to live in Florida can no longer as he can get no insurance. Can't fathom those car insurance rates - 16 yr old with Ferrari?, lots of speeding tickets, DUI?
  • sandylghsandylgh Member Posts: 4
    Be very careful in this car! My 24 year old daughter was killed while driving mine. It was a freak accident and the only reasonable explanation the expert accident reconstructionists have come up with so far is the replacement ETM failed and the car accelerate out of control while she was changing lanes. There were no passengers in my car, and no one else was seriously injured although she collided with another car, but my car went over the guardrail on a bridge, was totalled, and my daughter was killed instantly. Volvo is well aware of the ETM problems but refuses to do anything to correct them on the older models (the design has since been changed on the newer cars). I bought this car to be safe and it wasn't. I'm doing everything I can to prove the replaced ETM caused the accident, but others are still being injured in the meantime...
    You have posted this before and it is simply impossible.
    An ETM failure causes the unit to either shut down or go into limp mode.
    Unintended acceleration is a discredited farce.
    This was disproven years ago after the so called experts accused Audi and Mercedes of it.
  • pete51pete51 Member Posts: 20
    I have been looking at the messages and it seems to be proud group of owners. Just purchased an off lease V70 and must say that I am pleased. I a replacing a Toyota Camry, my wife drives an E320. I was looking at a M-class, but I was very disappointed with how it handled plus the nightmare stories of reliability records did not help. Took a look at some the large suvs and just didn't get that comfy feeling plus gas prices are just to unpredictable. Went by a Volvo dealer to look at an XC90, but out of the price range I wanted to stay in. Salesman had V70 2.4 with third row and it worked out perfect, good price, good ride, good flexibility (kids with friends-third row) and kinda sporty. With the E320, we have been overall pleased. It has had some little Mercedes :surprise: Gremlin problems but at 170k it still runs great and treats us pretty good. Are there any little Volvo Gremlins I should be aware of, because my plan is to have this for a while? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. :) Oh yes, what kind of gas mileage should I expect from the 2.4 engine I assume it burns premium only?
  • kharlamov17kharlamov17 Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone, this is my 1st post here, and I'm happy to be aboard. I have a question(s)...I was recently looking at a 1993 volvo 240 wagon, automatic, w/164,000 miles, excellent condition, leather interior, smogged, registered. This is my 1st foray into buying a car...I don't really know much. The seller is asking $5000. I checked the Kelly Blue Book value and it listed $4300 as the appropriate asking price?

So my question/ questions:(1) is the $5000 crazy?
    (2) What problems does this model have or will/might have given the 164,000 miles?

Any words of wisdom or advice, insight regarding the '93 240 would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    pete51, the 2.4 runs fine on 87 octane with no mpg loss according to my many tests. same with the 2.4T. same with the xc90 2.5T. for mpg i bet you'll see lower 20s city, upper 20s highway.

regarding other posts, regarding V70 ETM & "sudden acceleration":
    i do not agree that the only possible ETM failure mode is "limp home" and believe that plenty of ETM/software failures could theoretically cause an acceleration burst. software bugs are unavoidable. also unavoidable is the fact that a Yugo's brakes could stop a Dodge Viper at max torque. on the other hand, any sudden/surprising change in a vehicle's behavior can have dire consequences.
    IF the 240 has no rust, new tires, and is perfect, $5000 is all the money.
    I would offer $3500-4000.

As for problems, same as any old car. Things wear out. Alternator, a/c compressor, electrical issues etc.
    How is the back seat (second row not rear facing kids seat) for three adults? Is it more suitable for 2 rather than 3?
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY ALL HAVING KIDS FOR ANYWAY? IF WE DIDN'T HAVE ANY KIDS, ALL THE WORLD'S MAN MADE PROBLEMS WOULD BE OVER IN LESS THAN 120 YEARS!

I know that would wreck the auto industry, but it would sure save all the oil.
  • clarkkentclarkkent Member Posts: 154
    I have been told by my dealer that the A/C comes on after you turn your car off, IF , the interior gets too hot. It will cool the interior down even if the car is off.

It will save your dog or kid life if you leave them in the car. It might, however, kill the battery? I assume it goes off when the car gets cooler. Then will go on again when the car heats up again. Moral, Leave a window down and leave your dogs and kids at home.
  • volvodan1volvodan1 Member Posts: 188
    "WHAT THE HECK ARE THEY ALL HAVING KIDS FOR ANYWAY? IF WE DIDN'T HAVE ANY KIDS, ALL THE WORLD'S MAN MADE PROBLEMS WOULD BE OVER IN LESS THAN 120 YEARS!"

Hmm. :surprise: :confuse:
  • marinadavemarinadave Member Posts: 20
    I just purchased a 2006 XC70 and want to do my own oil changes. Does anyone know the procedure to reset the 7500 mile service reminder light? Thanks
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Our '01 XC has given us good service although the maintenance experience hasn't been great. Two truts and the automatic transmission have been replaced under warranty, the ETM failed when I was in the middle lane of I95 one weekend, we have had various electrical problems with the doors, light bulbs burned out regularly for the first couple of years, a recent brake job cost $1100 or so, front control arms have been replaced, etc. (This is the short version and from memory.)

All the work has been done at a local Volvo dealer in central New England whose dealer principal lives out of state and is invisible in the community. The work hasn't been great and mechanics tools have been left in the engine compartment. The car has never been washed after a service which doesn't bother me but it is their policy and leaves me wondering what else wasn't done?.

A week ago a warning light came on. Some of the time it was accompanied by a message saying that the right rear door was open (it wasn't). The dealer diagnosed it as a bad seal on the right rear door. They have ordered the parts. This may be expensive and unecessary (we do not use the back seat.)

Now at 68K miles the right rear wheel bearing became noisy. We were quoted $250 for the wheel bearing and $200 installation labor by the local dealer. Once at the dealers they called to say that the left one also needed replacing. We never heard a noise from the left side, not even when I went with the tech on a diagnostic drive. Never the less, we gave them the go ahead and $900 later we have two new wheel bearings.

When we got the car back to our company yesterday we tried to mount our winter tire/wheel package and discovered that the gorrilla at the Volvo dealership had put wheels back on with an impact wrench set at 650 foot pounds of torque. We had to use a 3' cheater bar and an impact wrench to get the wheels back off.

By personality (we're New Englanders), driving habits (only 10K per car per year), and the number of cars available to us, my wife and I tend to keep cars. Do we dump the Volvo for something else (I do though hate depreciation), stay with the very convenient local dealer, start taking it to a less convient dealer, or find an independent shop?
  • xcv70nevragainxcv70nevragain Member Posts: 3
    Got rid of my 01 xc v70 today. Here is my story which is remarkably similar to yours.

2001 XC V70 Car full of christmas presents, 2 kids, wife and father-in-law stalled on Christmas morning. It was jerking and hesitating intermittently for months when problem started getting worse. Then "performance decreased" message came on. Towed and car sat at volvo dealer over holidays. Became aware of throttle problem last summer. I was in denial. Volvo not only has a throttle problem. I believe the car is poorly constructed. Numerous suspension components needed replacement, problem with computer chip, wiring harness, seat motor, door locks, windows, gas cap, faded trim, etc. The dealer was moving and I asked for a print out of service records. It was 28 pages long at the end of last summer. Bought extended warranty for thousands so I could keep car longer. Got back half of cost in few months from repairing faulty computer chip.

The car is still a bit jerky on the ride from the Volvo dealer after software upgrade. I was told the throttle was clean and did not need any service but only a software upgrade. I am wondering how a software upgrade can fix a defect in a faulty throttle??? I was told the car was fixed and drove like a dream on a 10 km road test. It is more of a nightmare. I drove home, cleaned it up and went to the Lexus dealership on same day. Got an RX 330 and only $15k for the trade in value. The Lexus dealer told me they called 3 volvo dealerships. None of them wanted it but suggested that low ball price as wholesale anyway!!!

Driving this car has been emotionally similar to although not as serious as spousal abuse. You always get let down. You fear the next episode. You think you will make up and things will be better after just one more trip to the repair shop but it never ends until now. I do not want to sell this junker privately as I do not want to lie to some unsuspecting buyer. It is with great sadness I sell this Volvo. My mom and dad had 3 before and drove 2 into the ground. I was planning on doing the same. These new Volvos are junk. Shame on Volvo. Shame on Ford. Putting families at risk when there motto is Drive Safely. Do they not even care about repeat business?
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have purchased a high-end or high-performance wagon, such as the Audi A4 Avant, Mercedes-Benz E55, Dodge Magnum RT or the Volvo V70R, as examples . If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info. and city/state of residence no later than January 6, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• xcv70nevragainxcv70nevragain Member Posts: 3
    SOFTWARE UPGRADE NOT ENOUGH, STALLED DAY AFTER!!! Throttle now changed and software reloaded. Told service advisors I wouldn't be seeing them because I bought a Lexus. One told me it was a good choice. He showed me his watch with a Toyota logo on it. He use to work there and drives Toyotas. This car runs smoothly but I do not care anymore and it only has to last another 2 weeks.
  • pilotpatpilotpat Member Posts: 18
    Replying to: marthacooper (Sep 05, 2005 6:31 am)
    "I have been told by my dealer that the A/C comes on after you turn your car off, IF , the interior gets too hot. It will cool the interior down even if the car is off.

It will save your dog or kid life if you leave them in the car. It might, however, kill the battery?"

THIS INFO IS WRONG! Do not rely on the AC to come on to cool your interior or occupants - you will kill them.

The electric blower will come on for a short time around 30 minutes after shut-down in certain circumstances to remove humidity from the system. There will be no noticeable change in interior temperature due to this, and negligible battery drain.

For the Air Conditioning system to function as a cooler, the compressor must turn, which is mechanically linked to the motor by a belt. In other words, the motor needs to be running for the AC to work.
  • lightsmithlightsmith Member Posts: 2
    I am so sorry to hear about your loss. I don't understand what went wrong. What is the ETM? I just bought a 2005 V70 and wonder if the problem was fixed before that model year.

Regards,
    Helene
  • lightsmithlightsmith Member Posts: 2
    The Volvo dealer said that the auto-rain sensor can be damaged if the windshield mounted E-Z Pass is used, so I got an external one.

Here in Delaware, we do not have front license plates and so making holes just for the UGLY transponder is something I would like to avoid. When I contacted the E-Z Pass folks they just said I would need to make the holes in the bumper :(

It looks like it will fit in the grill area, but I do not know if that will work in the toll lanes. Does anyone have any suggestions for mounting an external E-Z Pass transponder. :confuse:

Thanks,
    Helene
    Thanks for the nice analogy about the roller coaster emotions one feels owning a V70 XC. We just rolled back in from a very long weekend in Montreal. Drove 800 miles in some nasty weather. The car has great foul weather capability (front fog lights are helpful; good HVAC for seats and cabin, etc.), great handling at 90 MPH on the Vermont-A-Bahn (I89), rides quietly, good load carrying capacity (we had four adults and the rear compartment packed tight to the roof with middle class accoutrements) without any sag in the rear suspension or dimunition in handling, etc. The overall performance of the car was superior to our Porsche Cayenne in which we made this same trip this summmer.

But, after tonight's flawless high speed run, when I pulled into the garage tonight, the orange light on the right hand side of the drivers display came on, "svc engine". Great, now I have to wrestle with the bozos tommorow AM who use an impact wrench to install wheels. (The dealer pricipal wisely lives out of state and has not been seen in years. How can Volvo tolerate an absentee owner of a one location dealership???)

You know, owning one of these things would be more tolerable if the service people, with whom I am now on a first name basis, treated the customers would some modicum of respect. But then again, maybe they go home chuckling about the stupidity of the Volvo owner.

On a side note, I heartily recommend the Michelin Artic Alpins and would not have attempted the trip without them or a similar modern winter tire.
  • jrkontjrkont Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 V70 also has the rain sensor option. I live in Mass. and have a Fast Lane transponder. I mounted it under the inside rear view mirror, just like the instructions called for, and have not seen any problems with the wiper actions. Maybe I'll have to be careful if I have to remove the velcro mounting strips at some point. My dealer never mentioned anything about possible damage from mounting the transmitter inside. I'd try to exchange the exterior transponder for an interior one and mount it inside. Just keep it off the window sensor and it should be fine.
    The Artic Alpins work well. Have had them on my Saab for 4 yrs and this car is excellent in the snow and ice and is only front wheel drive. Still running the original Nordfrost winter tires on our Volvo after 6 years - likely the last year for them. If we still have the car next year I will be replacing them with the Michelin. Not sure if they still make the 'Alpins' or have replaced them with the 'Ice'.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I know this is a tired old question, and I apologize, but I'm hearing a variety of answers. I was checking out an '05 V70 2.4 yesterday at the dealer. Salesman said that regular grade fuel is okay. From what I can tell after research, he's blowing smoke. I did get the impression he'd say anything to make the sale. While I have your attention, he also said a loaner car would be available even for oil change service. Is this typical of all dealers or something special? Thanks for any help.
  • merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I use premium in my own cars and recommend my volvo clients do so too. My dealership also provides loaners for even small jobs like oil changes...
    You know, it used to be that you bought a new car, drove it hard as the primary travel vehicle in the household and then over the years gradually moved it down stream to where maybe it was Junior's ride back to Cornell for his Sophmore year. After maybe 125-175K miles and about 15 years of ownership, you would sell it for small change rather than face an engine rebuild or other drive train issues.

It strikes me that newer cars, particularly the European cars, could be different. For example, I don't doubt that our now 67K miles 2001 XC has a drive train that with Mobil 1 and some diligence could last out to 150K. Maybe more. But the equation may have changed. Maybe you can't keep a car as long as you could before because the issues have changed. Rather than the drive train issues of a generation ago the concerns of today are electronic and HVAC. I'm told that some cars ( e.g., a Lincoln Town Car) require the removal of the dash to take out the heater core. Probably at that point, the car would get sold.

OK, so whats the relevance to Volvo? We like our 2001 V70 XC. Great seats, great handling, nice load capacity, and probably the best foul weather capability of any car out there except for perhaps the Audi All Road. (Volvo's foul weather capability extends to their high placement of the rear turn signal and tail lights. On a dark and snowy night, you KNOW when the V70 in front of you is changing lanes.) But can we keep this thing out to 150K in the face of costly repair costs? Can you really afford to own and older Volvo, Audi, etc.?
  • peteg6peteg6 Member Posts: 1
    I'm about to begin a serious search for a used volvo wagon. I like the looks of the v70 but my cursory research is scaring me away from the '99 and later models due to the etm issues. So, I'm focusing on the '98. Any thoughts out there? :confuse:
    The equation has changed and it is mostly due to electrics and technology and subsequent cost of repair. Cars are just more complex now and generally 'disposable'.

Most people cannot fix them themselves anymore and as they get older they will nickel and dime you to death (except the nickels and dimes will be hundreds of dollars each trip to the service dept). Sooner or later the nickels and dimes amount to loan or lease costs on a new one - or close to it.

I had an older BMW like this. Every 3 months into the shop for 500-1000 bucks of repair. At this rate, a new lease wasn't much more money.
    My problem is though that even using your figures, 4k a year in maintenance is going to be lower than the sales tax and depreciation. I recognize though that at this point the vehicle is pretty iffy.

Want to know the best way to avoid trading too often? Treat your car to a regular detail job by a professional. Seriously.
    I don' think the durability of cars has changed for the worse over the years. Even 20 years ago, BMW built their cars to last 5-8 years. They reluctantly continue to support older models because of our fascination with "classic cars." Most germans don't understand this mindset...

The difference between an 86 Volvo and an 06 Volvo isn't in the durability of parts (I'm sure the 06 is better built and more reliable). The difference is that a shade tree mechanic can't work on an 06 like s/he could an 86.
    Yes, the maintenance is likely lower than new so to make the jump other intangibles are usually considered - ie reliability, new features, new technology, piece of mind, changing needs etc - and all it takes is one major bill like transmission or engine.

Having said all that we still have our 99V70 with 130k kms and no major out of warranty problems but the last two trips to service cost me over $2k for new brakes, air mass meter, timing belt etc - preventative stuff mostly. Teh car is likely only worth $10k. But now good for another 100k :D (I hope)
    I've posted before about the problematic service we are getting from our local Volvo dealer. Here is maybe the new low. Apparently, Volvo insists that the dealers monitor their service work by employing a firm to call recent customers to ask them how it went. Here in New England the dealers usually hire a company that employs women calling from their home. I don't know what happens to the responses but I suspect that they go back to the dealer not to Volvo. Anyway, after our last lousy experience (tires put on with impact wrenches set at over 650 foot pounds of torque), I was ready for the call.

When the call came the caller identified herself and then simply verified with my assistant that we indeed owned a car that had been in for service. He did so and she thanked him and then she hung up. She now can say she called, she can say she confirmed ownership and no issues were raised. Nice trick. When I called our dealership back for her number to continue the "survey", they wouldn't/couldn't give me her phone.

I wonder if Volvo really knows how rotten the service level is? I could stock a small Snap On Tools truck with the hand tools that have been left in our vehicle. A sign in the Service Department promises a free car wash after each service. This has never, ever happened. (Frankly, I could care less about their free car wash but it is indicative of the eye-wash Volvo propagates.) This leaves me wondering what else was promised and not done.

I'm the kind of guy who never haggles over a bill. But I abhor chislers. All I want is what the invoice says I am to receive. The Porsche service experience we get is fantastic. The work is done right the first time. Sure, an oil change is expensive but you are getting what you pay for. The Volvo experience is leaving me with three alteratives, none very palatable: move downscale into a Tahoe, move upscale into a E Series Wagon (a lesser vehicle IMHO than a V70) or move into something Japanese. Why doesn't Volvo understand that a lot of people want drive their cars but the dealership experience is a turn off?
    "The Volvo experience is leaving me with three alteratives."

My Volvo dealer experience has been outstanding. Car washes, loaner cars, and service performed right the first time. Heck, my kids have broken the rear center cup holder twice, and they have always replaced it without a word - for free.

If I were in your shoes, I would have found someone else (and written letters to the owner of the dealership) long ago.
    Bottom line, find another dealer.
    Not all dealers are good, not all are bad.
    Don't blame the motor co. for something that isn't their fault.
    We like our 2001 XC for how we live (weekend trips packed to the gills) and how we drive (fast in summer; on snow/ice in winter) we like our XC. Volvomax and Fedlawman, you are both right. Rather than argue anymore, we'll just change dealers.

Our maintenance records are located at this dealership though. Can I request a copy of the file? Can I get them to simply email it to the next dealer. Can I persuade the Volvo Care Hotline to get an electronic copy of these records? Does any of this even matter now that the car is out of warranty?
  • boston3boston3 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 V70 XC. I love the car, however I am concerned about a surge when accelerating. When I come to a complete stop (i.e. stop lights) the transmission shifts into neutral. When I remove my foot from the brake, there is a momentary delay, then the transmission returns to Drive. Is this normal? Sometimes if i go too fast from the brake to the gas there is a surge when the trans returns to drive. Any info or help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Jessica
    You can certainly get a copy from your old dealer.
    If the car is out of warranty, it really doesn't matter if you give the service record to the new dealer or not.
    Any warranty work is in a national database anyway.
  • ronbo1ronbo1 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase a 2001 V70. Are there any obvious areas of concern I should consider? I am a returning Volvo fan. Years ago I owned a 122s and later a 240. I loved my Volvos and am now bringing the family onboard. Is the 2001 an Ok year or is there a problem with this model? Anyone's advice and counsel would be greatly appreciated in Missouri.........thanks!! ronbo1