Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    I now notice a humming sound coming from the front of my Montana. It's audible in front of the driver's seat, and can also be heard from outside when the vehicle is at idle. Doesn't seem to change intensity or frequency as the vehicle speed changes. The Montana is a '97. Almost sounds like it's coming from the area of the brake system.

Any thoughts?
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
    Just about to pick up our new 'family truckster' - a 2001 Montana with Montanavision, and was wondering if you can add a TV tuner to the system. Also, what have you used to play DVD's? Is there a player that can be mounted under and wired into the VCP?

-Dan
  • dfairdfair Member Posts: 2
    We are looking at purchasing a 2001 Montana with the 1SG package (sporting package w/o Montanavision). On Pontiac's website, at Edmund's, at Kelly Blue Book, at the display at the dealer, etc: - it says that after Jan. 01, the driver's side power sliding door is STANDARD with the 1SG package. Fine. Yet, when you actually go out and look at the sticker on these vehicles, you find two types of Montana's with the 1SG package:

1) No power driver's side door at all (does this mean that this vehicle has been sitting here since before 01/01?)

2) It has a power driver's side door, but it isn't listed as standard w/ the 1SG package, it's listed as a $350 option.

I don't understand the discrepancy between Pontiac's own information and the actual window stickers. Is it likely I could argue my way out of the additional $350 for an alleged "standard" feature?

Finally (sorry 'bout the long length): a second question. I'm having a little trouble finding a local dealer with exactly what I want - I found one that has exactly what I want, except it also has the $165 towing package. What exactly is in this towing package and is it a big deal to get a Montana w/it and never use it?
    We're picking up our 1SJ tomorrow, and in our search have only seen 1 or 2 vans with dual power doors. Dual power doors was supposed to be (like the 3rd row folding bench) a midyear production change.

The specifications (according to the brochure and website I see) list a sliding drivers door, but not power. Power drivers door is even optional on the silhouette premier - so I'd expect it to be on the Montana as well (even 1sG/J)

Regarding the tow package - I wish I had it, but keep in mind that production has stopped on Montanas - availability is limited to whats in the field. The package provides the wiring harness, and (why I wanted it) heavy-duty oil and transmission coolers - no trailer hitch. I think it may help with reliability if you intend to keep the vehicle a while (which I do).

Hope this helps,

-Dan
  • dfairdfair Member Posts: 2
    That helps a lot! Another weird thing is the one dealer seems to only have "older" 2001's as compared to this other dealer (maybe after the production change). For the exact same vans, they have a different "Standard Vehicle Price" on the window sticker: $29,800 for the 1SG vs. $29,580 for the EXACT same thing - this is before any other options or the destination charge is added. They also have a $10 difference on the destination charge.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    The driver's side power sliding door was going to be ready for January production and included in the 1SG and 1SJ packages. When it was not ready until April production, Pontiac dropped it from the 1SG/1SJ packages and became a option on any package except 1SC for $350.
    The difference in window sticker prices is because of price increases throughout the year. 10/20/00 $10 Destination. 1/26/01 $115 base price. 3/2/01 $105 base price.
  • stukesmdstukesmd Member Posts: 1
    My'99 with 54,000 miles developed a tapping noise in the engine after a cold start. It disappears after about two minutes. I took it to the dealer and was given two technical service bulletins on this condition (57-71-06A and 57-61-24A). GI's explanation is that "under normal design tolerances, when the piston pin bore is produced at the maximum tolerance and the piston pin is produced at the minimum tolerance (min-max tolerance) trace noise levels can occur. This level of noise does not affect the reliability or durability of the product." The dealer told me there was no guarantee that if these parts were replaced that the noise would disappear and also that since my van was out of warranty the fix would be at my expense. I am learning to live with it.
  • edinmdedinmd Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering buying a 2002 Montana and have never owned a minivan before. Does anyone know how the safety ratings are on the 2002 model or if they will be improved over the 2001 model?
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    So far it looks like the only major change to the '02 GM minivans is the availability of (optional) AWD. Structurally they will remain the same and as such, the NHTSA and IIHS offset crash test results should still apply. FYI, the GM minivans used to be sold in Europe as the Opel Sintra:

Here are a few links for you to look at:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/96026.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/html/summary_passvans.htm

http://www.fia.com/tourisme/Ncap6/OPEL_Sintra/OPEL_SINTRA.html

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/cars/1566.html

Curious as to how the NHTSA full width test differs from the IIHS offset crash test? Have a look at these links:
    http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/offset.htm

http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle_ratings/ce/def.htm

http://www.crashtest.com/explanations/nhtsa/usncap.htm

"Full-width and offset tests complement each other. Crashing the full width of a vehicle into a rigid barrier maximizes energy absorption so that the integrity of the occupant compartment, or safety cage, can be maintained well in all but very high-speed crashes. Full-width rigid-barrier tests produce high occupant compartment decelerations, so they're especially demanding of restraint systems. In offset tests, only one side of a vehicle's front end, not the full width, hits the barrier so that a smaller area of the structure must manage the crash energy. This means the front end on the struck side crushes more than in a full-width test, and intrusion into the occupant compartment is more likely. The bottom line is that full-width tests are especially demanding of restraints but less demanding of structure, while the reverse is true in offsets".

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • bprice4bprice4 Member Posts: 3
    When driving my 2000 Montana I can hear water sloshing around somewhere in the back and it is not the gas tank. Dont know if its in the sliding doors or somewhere else. Have not taken it to the dealer yet. Anyone else have this problem?
  • offhamoffham Member Posts: 344
    Re your post. Across the three GM van sites, it has been reported that water can get into the rear wells, especially where the jack is located.

This water enters through the plastic boots on top of the rear edge when you lift the hatch. It requires to put clear silicone sealant around the rubber boot.

However, it is unlikely that you would hear it, and suspect it is gas in the tank, especially when it is full and gradually subsides as the gas volume goes down.

Try testing at different levels, and especially if you have to brake hard with a full tank you can hear it. Have a Venture 2000 and noted similar circumstances.
  • mizeumlmizeuml Member Posts: 50
    We have a 1999 Montana with the rear A/C unit located inside the left rear quarter panel. There is a drain hole for this unit just behind the left rear tire. This drain hole is formed into the sheet metal body panel and was sealed shut on our van with caulking. I removed the caulking from this drain hole and about a gallon of water drained from it. If your van has the rear A/C, check behind the left rear tire and see if this drain is open or if it has been sealed shut. The drain is oval shaped and is about 1/4" by 1/2" or so. You should be able to see water draining from it when the rear A/C is running. I found our problem by crawling under the left rear of the van and pulling the rubber grommet out of this quarter panel. The grommet is around an electrical harness that goes into the quarter panel. When I pulled the grommet out, water started coming from the grommet hole. I then located the drain hole and used a screw driver to dig the caulking out. Everything has been fine since.

Good luck,
    Matt
  • rgarryrgarry Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a 2001 Montana and with 750 miles on it the motor for the fan went. Was wondering if anyone else has had like problems.
    Thanks
  • jmurawskjmurawsk Member Posts: 1
    On my 2000 Montana I have the door ajar light staying lit. It goes on and off while driving down the road and sometimes it just stays on.. I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem it is driving me crazy. I brought it to the dealer and they already changed the drivers side sensor to no avail. Thanks in advance..
  • tauberjtauberj Member Posts: 61
    Bill, I have a 2000 Silhouette which had the same problem. It turns out the water was in the bottom of the jack well (right-rear fender). Since the water in my jack well had a lot of silt in it, I determined that the water was leaking from the seam on the inner-wheel well behind the right-rear tire. I gave this info to the dealer who corrected the problem by sealing the seam with black silicone sealer. They also sealed it from inside the jack well.

To determine where your leak is coming from, check to see if there is silt in the bottom of the jack well. If yes, then the seam i described. If no, then the wire harness boots at the top of the hatch opening (inside) are suspect. Good luck.
  • todobomtodobom Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting ready to replace the original equipment tires on my 2000 Montana and hope somebody out there has some real life words of wisdom. My van has the sport suspension that included self sealing "General" tires as part of the option. I'm not convinced I need to purchase replacement tires with the "self-sealing" option. What's been your experience? Thanks in advance!!
  • railroadcparailroadcpa Member Posts: 3
    I have been in the market to purchase a 2001 Pontiac Montana with G package, 7 pass rear stowable seat, pwr driver side door, trailer package, cloth trim and 6 CD changer since February. I searched on Buy Power and at several South Florida dealers. I (nor the dealers) have never been able to find one. I guess now it will have to be a 2002. Does anyone know what differences there will be. I see from these messages AWD will be added. I heard elsewhere 16 inch wheels will be standard. Is there any other rumors that would make the wait more bearable?

John
    2002 Montana will not have the 7 passenger with rear stowable seat. Only seats will be the 7 passenger with split fold rear and 8 passenger with rear stowable seat. The AWD will add over $3,000 to the price. It was $2,700 I think addition to the Aztek which uses the same system. The 16" wheels will only be with the AWD or the Thunder Package (Leather Trim). With the rebates or low rates offered on the 2001, I would consider slightly changing my requirements ( w/o LH Power Door or 7 Pass w/Folding Seat). If nothing works that way, I would try to run up my rebates on my GM card and go for the 2002 that best fits your needs. Good luck.
  • mmayermmayer Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new 2001 Montana. When I got home I realized there was no valet key. Did CM do away with it, or did my dealer forget to give it to me??

Thanks!
    When my brother picked up his 2001, he was told because of the cost of the valet key with the passkey theft deterrent chip and the fact that valet keys haven't reduced the usage of the no charge road side assistance, GM has done away with them.
  • kenx4kenx4 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99' Montana and an alarm sounds from the rear of the vehicle whenever I take it out of park. I can stop the alarm if I take the automatic door off of automatic and make it manual. The automatic door "seems" to shut completely and sometimes the auto door just tries to close but then pops back open again...Has anyone else had this problem and please tell me it's a simple fix.... Thnxs in advance..we love the vehicle
  • gregathygregathy Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem with my Silhoutte. On the side of the automatic door and side of the van there is a little plate, take a cloth and rub it off. You should do this periodically because it gets dirty and the connection won't take. Hopes this helps.
  • fkatufkatu Member Posts: 3
    I am thinking of buying a 2001 Montana with two weeks...I need a car. I haven't read all that much here about people really enthused about it.
    Could I get a quick show of thumbs up or thums down on this vehicle.You can email at FKatu@aol.com so not to clog this forum up
    thanks
    Frank
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hmmm, so you're cross-shopping the Montana vs the Santa Fe? Probably better if folks just chime in here so we can all keep score :-)

fkatu "Hyundai Santa Fe" Jul 19, 2001 6:44pm

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    Railroadcpa:

Given the news from Montanafan, I'd go with the 2001. Sounds like GM is restricting the possible seating configurations for the 2002 and grouping other options together. If you really need the LH power door, consider getting an Olds Silo or Chevy Venture. Essentially the same cars as the Montana. In fact, my wife and I were all but ready to put down money on a Montana when we realized that the Olds looked pretty darned good too. In fact, we ended up getting a 2001 Olds because it was EASY to find one with the LH powerdoor and all the features we wanted (tow package, SJ option cluster, LH powerdoor, seven seat w/ fold flat third row and leather).

In addition to the same features as the Montana we were looking for (but never found), we got THREE zone climate control and a bumper-to-bumper warranty for 5 years/60K miles (whichever comes first) vs. the typical 3yr/30K warranty. Our Olds dealer told us that GM was doing this to reassure Olds customers that even with the demise of the brand name in two to three years, GM will still stand by its vehicles (not that it had much choice under current federal law anyway!). These extra perks plus the features we wanted convinced us we got the right GM van.

Price and financing were also factors. We got our Olds for $200 over invoice, got the dealer to through in a rear class II hitch and wiring for FREE and went with the 0.9% financing. The money we would have put down on the van is now earning MORE money in a savings account than if we had put it into the van.

So check out the Montana's twin vehicles. You might be pleasantly surprised.
  • yzfyzf Member Posts: 65
    Frank:

My wife and I have the 2001 Olds Silo - twin car to the Montana and the Chevy Venture. We love the minivan. BIG thumbs up (of course, I've always been a big GM fan - just plain like their cars - no, don't work for them). My prior post talks about some of the great features we like.

As for which is better, Montana vs. Santa Fe, I think you are really comparing two vehicles with different purposes. The Montana is a people/pet hauler and sometimes cargo hauler. It can tow light loads (max 3500lbs) with the appropriate package (oil cooler, trans cooler, etc.), but really is meant to haul people/pets on public roads in comfort. The Santa Fe is an SUV built to haul fewer people but to be more rugged (i.e., capable of off-road operation). It's probably geared more for singles, couples or those with only one kid/pet and not too much baggage. I understand it can also tow light loads. So as far as which is better, I would guess you would need to look at what you need in terms of carrying/hauling capacity over the type of terrain you will be in. Whichever vehicle you decide, best of luck!
  • billybob21billybob21 Member Posts: 2
    Re message No. 460 and follow ups. Thanks all for your help. My 2001 Montana had water leaking into the jack well area and the carpet around that area also got wet every time I washed the van.
    After two attempts the dealer has yet to solve the leak. I took your suggestions and sealed the boot at the top of the tailgate. Hopefully, that will fix the problem. I'll keep you posted if that doesn't work. Keep up the good work. I really like this van. On a recent 400 mile trip, it almost got 26 MPG.
  • 3darcher3darcher Member Posts: 2
    Is it possible to buy another captain's chair for the middle row in the 6 passenger Value Van and make it 7 passenger, whether at a junkyard or dealer? This vehicle has all the features I need and room for now, but I am just looking down the road. Anyone who has compared, is the suspension here the same as the Venture "Soft Ride Suspension"? Thanks in advance.
  • ftpftp Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone know how to program a replacement key less remote for a '96 Transport? I know the dealer will do it for a fee ($35.00 in sunny FL), but I was hoping to find the secret out from a knowledgeable friend.
    3dArcher,

I've seen this topic covered elsewhere - I think the best answer is to try to procure one from a junkyard.

-Dan L.
    '01 Pontiac Montana / Montanavision
  • merrilldemerrillde Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2001 with all the upgrades except the sports suspension in October. It has been troublefree, until the heavy rains last night. I'm both glad and disappointed to see that leaks are in the current topics. I'm glad because I have an idea of what to look for, but I'm disappointed that this common problem exists. My leak was at the top of the rear hatch, which a previous posting suggested may be from the boot at the top.

The best feature about the van for our family has been the Montanavision. We have a one year old and a seven year old, and they watch it all the time, even around town. It's a built-in passifier. If I could make a suggestion to GM, I'd let the driver control the volume, and I'd make the control buttons on the VCP bigger so that the driver can see them more quickly while driving. Another feature I like is the 2nd row captain chairs. Originally we had been considering the 8 passenger seating, but the ease of getting around inside the car from front to back in the center aisle between the captain chairs, more than makes up for the lost seat.

Now, if I can just get my newly found leak fixed...
  • billybob21billybob21 Member Posts: 2
    RE Message 482. I should add that my 2001 Montana actually had two leak areas. The one mentioned was the boot at the top of the rear hatch. The initial one found was fixed by my dealer. This leak was at a body seam below the right rear window where the rear power door channel is located. It was sealed with silicon.
    Both leaks were noticed inside the jack panel.
    Good luck. Hope this is helpful.
  • ddietelddietel Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    Hope someone can shed some light on a problem we have with our Montana
    (2001). Occasionally, buy always during hot weather and the air conditioning on,
    we get a loud, sharp noise coming from what sounds like the front left side of the engine compartment. The dealer has tried twice to find out the souce and cause but is struggling. The noise is just like the sound that a large truck makes when "jake braking". Another description would be the "water hammer" noise that can be heard in water pipes. Has anyone out there ever had a similar thing happen? I think it is either the air conditioning system or the anti-lock brakes although the noise is the only symptom. There doesn't seem to be any effect on the driveability other than the shock and adrelalin rush that you get when it happens.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's investigation includes 635,965 Montana minivans and Grand Prix from the 1998-2001 model years. GM's recall involves only 1999 models."

Associated Press story

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• harris5kharris5k Member Posts: 7
    I love my 2000 GM minivan, but I have a question about a pronounced wind noise coming from the edge of the door and the edge of the windshield. It could also be coming from the mirror. Did anyone have this problem? How was it corrected? By the way, it isn't from the black cowl at the base of the windshield. Thanks.
  • harris5kharris5k Member Posts: 7
    I had a '94 Lumina that had a similar noise, but it got louder with the fan speed. I found it myself and it turned out to be a piece of foam that fell off inside of the fan that was attached to the firewall under the hood. It probably isn't what's happening to you, but it's worth checking.
  • dash73dash73 Member Posts: 1
    I just had to have my 2000 Montana repaired for a electrical wire that burnt in two. The dealer said he had seen this before but this is first I heard of it. Anyone else with this problem?
  • fear_hopefear_hope Member Posts: 90
    I drive a '99 Venture, sister to the Montana. I too have had problems with starting (sometimes just won't on the first try.) Also airbag light stayed on. Fuel injectors were replaced and system cleaned but still have start problems. Airbag module replaced 6 months ago and now light it starting to come on again. Did anyone find permanent resolution to these issues. Please post if you have any experience with either of these problems. I have the van up for sale, but no serious inquiries in 2 months.
  • suzannevansuzannevan Member Posts: 5
    I am sorry to say that my van leaks also...the water comes through the back hatch and drip out of the back dome light. If it is easy to fix with silicon, great, but I am worried about a moldy headliner. Other than that I love, love, love my 2001 extended van.
  • michgndrmichgndr Member Posts: 160
    '97 Montana, 3.4L engine. Which AC Delco filter?
    I have a '99 Montana that has had problems with Air Bag light staying on also. It has been doing this since 20,000 miles and we are up to 55,000 miles now. The first time it came on, the dealer fixed a tensioner cable to the drivers seat. This fixed the problem for a while. Then the light started coming on again. Took it back to dealer and they fixed an electrical connector to the passenger seat. Problem went away and seemed fixed. Now the light is coming on again. It does not stay on every time, but seems to be more often now. I would like to know what is going on also. The first 2 fixes were covered under warranty, but I am afraid they may charge me to fix it now. Our van has had several problems, been to dealer over 15 times for various repairs. GM has really turned us off with the reliability problems on this vehicle.

As for the AC Delco oil filter, I don't know the number off hand, but it is in the owners manual. Keep looking because it is hard to find. It is in the area where they show part numbers for the air filter and or maintenance items.

I would appreciate any info on how to fix Air Bag light also.

Thanks,
    Matt
    If there is a paper trail showing that it has been a problem in the past, chances are that they will not charge you to rectify the problem. You could always check to see if they will charge you before they replace any parts. If the problem has been occuring repeatedly, obviously something else is causing the malfunction in the first place. Have you tried going to another dealer?

Good luck and please keep us updated!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Matt, the only way to get the "Air Bag Light" fixed is to have whatever is causing it to come on fixed. Your dealer will be able to check the system for a trouble code which will tell them what is turning the light on. Just as they did when the light came on for the Driver's Tensioner and the Passenger side connection. Then they can prepare an estimate of your cost. Please have the car repaired. As you can read in the manual, when the light is on the system will not operate as designed, and you or family could be hurt in an accident that the bags could have helped. If after it is fixed, you feel that special consideration is due because of past problems. prepare a request to the dealer for reinbursement and forward to Pontiac if needed.
    Again for you safety so you can post again, get it fixed.
  • mljoynermljoyner Member Posts: 3
    I have to procure new tires for my 99 Montana. The tires I got seem really noisy but they are worn out anyway. I am looking a set of BF Goodrich T/A's or Michelin's All season tires. Just wondering if anyone has a suggestion. We have 5 kids and we got the 8 passenger seating and absolutely love this minivan. Got rid of a Grand caravan that had seen better days.
    Few minor things like the leaking that others are having and the smell in the A/C. We had all that taken care of at the dealer with no problems. charges.
  • nmrfreaknmrfreak Member Posts: 5
    I have a minor (I hope) but annoying problem with the wipers in my '97 Transport. The wipers do a great job while swiping the windshield but when turned off, they do not park below the top lip of the hood as they used to. The problem is intermittent - will work sometimes when the van is moving slowly but they never park while travelling out on the highway. I've received a couple of different suggestions thus far but am curious as to the thoughts of this group. Thanks in advance.

Mike
  • soobrietysoobriety Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I bought a 98 Transport used from a local dealer and it has had a host of problems, but the most recent and most troubling is a failure of the heat shield between the exhaust and the gas tank. Has anyone had this problem? It has about 88,000 miles on it.
    I have a '99 Montana and just replaced the original tires at 54,000 miles. I checked all around and the best deal I found was at Pep Boys, I believe they have stores all over the US. I bought a set of tires made by Cooper, it was called Futura Touring or something like that. They are an 80,000 mile tire with a tread wear of 640, most other 80,000 mile tires only had a tread wear of 560. I went with a larger size also, 225-70-15. The tires were $56 each and with mounting and all the total bill was around $285, that comes with life time rotating and balancing. We have been pleased with them so far and I can't remember ever hearing anything bad about Cooper Tires. Good Luck with whatever you choose, just don't install another set of the original tires because the General XP2000 white letter tires do not last long.
  • mljoynermljoyner Member Posts: 3
    Someone I worked with suggested Cooper as well. I would agree the Xp-2000's I got, the dealer put new ones when I bought it cause the others were worn out. Now here it is 30,000 miles later and already have to replace them. Thanks for the info.
  • dave231dave231 Member Posts: 17
    I have noticed a smell in my 97 Pontiac transport.
    There seems to be water leaking in through the e-brake cable grommet and soaking the underside of the carpet, I did not even notice it until I had to lift the carpet up to install something. Has anyone else found this problem. I also noticed that most of brake line holders on the drivers side underbody have broken. The driver side window does not close properly, I have to push it back as I roll it up. Has anyone seen these problems? any fixes???
    I welcome any info.
    Dave at: ufpa97@hotmail.com