Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagons

Comments

• johnwngjohnwng Member Posts: 24
    I have a '97 Taurus GL. About 3-4 months ago, the "service engine soon" light came on. Took to the Ford dealer and spent $2000 to have it fixed. Now the light is on again, and only 3K miles after last repair. Although the previous $2000 repair comes with one year/12K warranty, the dealer would not honor the warranty, saying (and without checking it out first) it could be some new problem and would need $200 to do a check. I am really reluctant to spend more money on this car. Does anyone have similar experience with this "service engine soon" light problem? Also if I want to make a complaint, where will be the right place? Does Ford Motor have an office taking customer complaints about their dealers? Thanks.
  • dixaronedixarone Member Posts: 21
    $200 for a computer diagnostic?! I had a "check engine" light problem (actually a continuing saga) on my 97 Explorer. 1st time into the dealership was a $95 (CAD) fee for finding out what was up...turned out an o2 sensor was sending a false signal to the computer. Well, the light went on again, and the dealer ran the diagnostic, found the same problem, and didn't charge me. They indicated it could come on from time to time unless I replace the sensor, but that given the sensor is sending false signals, to not worry about it unless I notice a drop in performance of the vehicle.

In short, it seems that $200 is outrageous for a computer diagnostic check, considering I paid half that in Canadian dollars at a Ford dealer up here (which is essentially $60USD)...at the very least you should get a guarantee that they won't charge you for the diagnostic if it reveals the same problem.
  • mykem1mykem1 Member Posts: 29
    I liked it well enough after we bought it, but it has now had 4 recalls, air bag sensor failure (which would be great in an accident), and now it is vibrating heavily with an engine warning light (don't even want to know what this will be). It is what I have come to expect from Ford. Never had a good one and I don't know what I was thinking when I bought this one (my wife liked the safety rating and 3rd seat, I liked the gas mileage). But even the gas mileage stinks. We achieved closed to sticker rating at first, but after the car turned 1 year old, it has never done better than 23MPG hwy and 13MPG city. My old minivan did better, so we are going back to that.

Hope you all do better with yours. My Montana never had a problem in 56,000 miles (CAN YOU BELIEVE I TRADED IT IN ON THIS HUNK OF JUNK?) and My Aztek has 20,000 miles with no recalls and no problems (it gets 27MPG hwy and 20MPG city). The 00 Sable has only 16,000 miles, and has spent over 2 weeks total in the shop for all the problems mentioned above. And now it gets worse mileage than my 76 Caddy.
  • smmsmm7smmsmm7 Member Posts: 2
    I have a '97 Sable wagon w/ 114K miles and it also has Check Engine Light on. Spent $ 150.00 @ my own mechanic and then $ 300.00 at Ford Dealer, only to have them tell me they wanted to replace processor, w/ no guarantee that it'd get fixed....

I am trying to sell car, can't seem to give it away, especially w/ that damn light on. Earlier msg. here suggested "loose gas cap", I will try that and be shocked/happy if it works. Don't know if this matters or not but car's not being driven since I am trying to get rid of it (ugghhhhh!!!)
  • jeff187jeff187 Member Posts: 2
    hi just bought a 93 sable wagon from a sweet old lady!1 boy did i get screwed! ac doesnt work', door lock wont work when door is close..works when open, had mechine checked out the ac found that the engine mount was loose causing a rupture in the ac hoses! engine had been re-mounted before and mechanic says the 3.8 v6 engine was poor design! i gave up a toyota camry wagon for this crap! anyone having the mount problem!! cant get a deceit american wagon... going for volvo/japanese please advice
    jeff187
  • danielj6danielj6 Member Posts: 285
    CNN Headline News did a short news listing regarding Ford's and GM's contributions to the relief and recovery efforts in New York and Washington:

Ford: $1 million to Red Cross and 10 Excursions to NY Fire Dept.
    GM: $1 million and a fleet of vans.
    Daimler Chrysler: $10 million

Hyundai $100.000
    Audi, BMW, Daewoo, Fiat, Honda, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Porshe, Subaru, Suzuki and Toyota gave $$OOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    This has been posted ad nauseum on many mailing lists and all over the internet over the last several months. It's an urban myth that refuses to die. There are some grains of truth, as with most urban myths, but it's mostly untrue.

First of all, this is a Taurus wagon forum, which the post has nothing to do with, and second, please don't just mass-post something (especially off-topic) without verifying something you read on the net (since you made the identical post on the Taurus forum). A poster there replied to that post with a URL you can read to debunk this.
    First of all, this is a Taurus wagon forum, which the post has nothing to do with, and second, please don't just mass-post something (especially off-topic) without verifying something you read on the net (since you made the identical post on the Taurus forum). A poster there replied to that post with a URL you can read to debunk this.

Some of your statements are wrong: 1)This is Taurus/Sable wagon forum, not just Taurus. 2)I did not read it on the net, nor did I ever know that had been circulated over the internet. I read it in a local paper on Sunday. It is your choice to believe it or not. I am still trying to verify the story with CNN. Not that it is any of your business, but I happen to live in New York and on September 11
    I was close to the buildings. So the article touched a nerve in me.

I have not been criticized by the forum's hosts. So if you don't like what I write either ignore it or take it up with Edmunds.com. I will continue to speak my mind without trying to attack anyone unless you or somebody like you decides to censure or cowardly attack my posts like you just did.
    Didn't mean to upset you. After seeing that message about 6 times on one mailing list I am on over the last several months and having people shoot it down, it touched a nerve with me and I posted.

Please accept my apology--I guess my post was harsh, though I didn't intend it that way. It certainly was not meant as an attack on your or your opinions, nor was it meant to belittle the seriousness of the events of September 11th. It ended up as a poor attempt to point out that the story seemed to have been rejected as untrue.

By the way, it is true about Ford's assistance. They also offered an entire warehouse they were not using in NJ for whatever needs had to be met. That I saw on Ford's media website.

I am surprised CNN picked it up so late, true or not, as I first saw that message circulate about 3 months ago now.

That's the last you'll hear from me on that subject. Back to Taurus AND Sable wagons. Again, I'm sorry.
  • bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    Folks- I have an odd problem, and I am wondering if anyone else has experienced it. I have a 2000 Ford Taurus SE Wagon. I added an aftermarket CD player with the special cable that allows it to be controlled by the buttons that are already on the Taurus radio/cassette deck. All has worked fine for 18 months. Just recently, I've noticed that if I am driving with the lights on, shut the car off (but leave the lights on), and then take the key out of the ignition, the radio or CD player continues to play. As soon as I turn the lights off, it stops. It didn't used to do this, so I figure there's a short someplace, but I didn't know if anyone else had experienced this before.

Also, sometimes if I shut off the car, and the CD player was playing, when I turn the car back on, the CD player is on ANOTHER CD and track then the one I left it on. Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help. Feel free to post responses here or e-mail me at bbeisel@bellsouth.net
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    I have a 2000 Sable wagon and it has a function that allows certian power options (I cannot remember which ones) to used even after the car is off and the key removed. It will provide power to them until you open a door. You did not mention if you opened a door after your lights, keys were either removed or turned off. Not sure if your problem may be related to any of that. Good luck.
  • jeff187jeff187 Member Posts: 2
    DO NOT BUY any Ford or Mercury!! They SUCK in quality!!i bought a 1993 sable wagon with a 3.8L engine from a 'sweet' old lady!! she told me the AC didnt work and it happened to be the year that the new freon was introduced and the car was retrofitted to accommodate it. i am third owner of this car and has only
    54K miles when i got it! After a mechanic review my ac problem he told me Other problems! my coolant line leaks!! the clutch compressor has 'some' damage and WILL need to be replaced ($600 for a USED one!) ! the worst of all, the engine mount has been repaired once before and now it needs to be repaired again!! how many cars have anyone experience that had engine mount problem?? i GOT RID of a 1988 Camry wagon ( which was getting old and the body was rusting! I LOVE this car but thought i needed an upgraded!
    I am SO PISSED that an american car company are so INferior to the japanese and german cars! american do NOT hold their value like their competitors! My car is less than 6 months old and It is already loss 1,000 in value! My advice is check out a used Volv0 wagon,
    a 850 model looked pretty good to me!!that might be my next car as soon as i can figure out how to ditch the sable! i paid 4,500 , she asked for 4,900! at the time it was the kelly blue book value! Oh and the cssatte player didnt work!!
    Good luck finding a GOOD RELIABLE wagon, just NOT Ford or Mercury!
    jeff187
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    Gotta remind people though that this is a family oriented website, and to please be careful about the language used to describe your vehicle problems.... Some of the words used in recent posts are questionable by our Town Hall standards. For further clarification, please refer to our Membership Agreement. Don't want to have to use that delete tool. Okay?

And now, back to the subject of the Ford Taurus & Mercury Sable Wagons. Thanks for your participation. ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
    So now that you had such a lousy experience with you 93 Sable wagon we owners of Sables and Taurus wagons should sell ours.

I honestly believe that you should check the performance of other model year Taurus/ Sables and not pass judgment. You will find that some of us are quite satisfied with our wagons. But again, this is a free message board and you have the right to shoot these wagons down.

I can tell you that Volvo cars are very expensive to repair and the parts are also expensive. I also don't know that Volvos are particularly reliable although they are said to be safe.
    Volvos do have a safe reputation. True indeed. Let me point out that so do the last two generations of Taurus/Sable ('96-'99 and 2000-up). They perform well in the NHTSA (flat barrier frontal and side-impact) and IIHS (offset frontal) crash tests. They are quite safe as well by these measures (in most cases, equal, and sometimes better performance than Japanese mid-size cars).

I agree with danielj6. The Taurus and Sable of today are quite nice wagons, and serve hundreds of thousands of folks reliably daily. The '96 and up design (and the 2000-up cars that came from that) has begun to prove itself as reliable.

The other thing is that the original post dealt with a 9 year old car with low mileage. It's bound to have a few problems (as are ANY cars of that age) and in fact, very low usage can cause more problems (especially with AC units, which need to be used periodically so the oil can circulate in the system and lubricate it) than high mileage.

Engine mount replacement is a common thing for many front wheel drive cars. They are basically rubber sandwiches, and they do wear out. They have become more of a maintenance item than on the older rear-wheel drive designs because of the weight, vibration, and torque they must work with.

I'm sorry for that person's misfortune with his or her car, and it's not to be made fun of. But, it is not necessarily representative of all Taurus/Sable wagon owners' experiences. And the problems are also not necessarily found only in Taurus and Sable wagons (or sedans), either.
  • tjf2000tjf2000 Member Posts: 61
    My Sable will be 2 years in August, so far it has 62k miles on it and has given me no trouble at all. For what I paid I cannot complain. I drove the Volvo wagon and compared it against the Sable, for the extra $17k the Volvo was going to cost I could see that great of a difference. (Just a quick point in the last 17 years I been driving about 40k miles per year, had 8 cars from many different car companies over that time and the cost of the new Volvo was not a problem, I do purchase my own cars they are not company cars) I have also owed a Volvo wagon and it held up well, but in three years I spent close to $4,500 in maintenance on it. I would have to go back and add up my receipts for the Sable, but it's about $1,000 or less to date. Am I completely happy with the Sable no, there is to much tire noise, no headrest in the middle back seat, and no three point seat belt either. Just my two cents worth....
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    Perhaps the post should be labeled "Do not buy 9 year old car from sweet little old lady". Seems you have more of a problem with the old lady than with Ford! Also, Volvos are no wonders either. My Mom had a 95 850 that should have been painted yellow it was back at the dealer so many times. She took a bath when she unloaded it in 1999 so don't be singing Volvo praises to me either!

We had a 89 Taurus wagon that we sold in early 2001 to buy a new Taurus SEL sedan. The old wagon had its share of problems (as do all older cars)but is still running strong for the guy I sold it too!

FDIII
    Thanks for the tips. The radio does stay on when I open the door...as long as the lights are on. I don't know actually how long the radio would stay on as I have never tried to test the theory (I don't have the auto-shut-off lights). Once you turn the lights off though, turning them back on DOES NOT cause the radio to come back on. Weird, ain't it. I do have an extended warranty on this car, so perhaps this would be covered. I need to look into that. Thanks for your help.
  • jdiaz2jdiaz2 Member Posts: 16
    Well, its been a year since my last update, and our 2000 Taurus wagon w/ Duratec just keeps trucking along. Just turned 35k miles, and celebrated with a transmission service, new fuel filter (very easy to change!!), and an oil/filter change. Gas mileage continues hover around 25mpg in mixed driving.

The only issues right now are lightly warped brake rotors, and windshield wipers keep wearing out. :) But other than that, no problems.
  • revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    and thanks for the update! ;-)

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • maryacmaryac Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know ANYTHING about safety for the third seat in the back of the Sable/Taurus stationa wagon. I am debating about a wagon and a minivan and have two children (young) I would like to fit 7 people in my car from time to time, but if the safety of those rear facing seats is very poor, then I would never take the chance. Any ideas?
    Thanks!
    The third seat is designed for children or short-legged adults who would take a short ride. Passengers seating there face the back. It has no head restraints but does have shoulder and lap belts. In a minivan third seat passengers face forward and have head restraints.

To me there is is a safety issue with it in case that another driver would rear end me which it already happened 2 weeks after I took delivery of the wagon. I was hit at 35 MPH by a mid size sedan with my bumper sustaining cosmetic damage. I was driving alone at the time. The vehicle that went into me was a 2000 Accord whose bumper held well but its hood buckled a bit. Mine is a '00 Merc. Sable

I am sure my fellow Taurus/Sable owners can add more to my statement.
  • sable1990sable1990 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 1990 mercury sable wagon. Just recently my air bag light started blinking. It will blink 8 times, stop for a second, then blink 8 times again. This continues doing this the whole time I am driving. Does anyone know what this means and how to fix it or disable it.. I would appreciate any help..
  • anydaynowanydaynow Member Posts: 3
    I appreciate the recent post from jdiaz2 about the mileage on the Duratech engine. I know earlier messages have been about usually exceptionally poor mileage. I was curious what some of you (those that are not having mileage issues) are averaging with the Vulcan or the Duratech. I am wondering how much mileage difference is between the two in order to help in my purchasing decision.
    I have a '98 Taurus with 46,000 miles on it. It has the Vulcan 3.0. Since I have owned the car (since 11,000 miles), I've kept track of the mileage. I have averaged 22.5 MPG, with maybe 60-65% city driving and the rest highway. On trips, going 70 or so MPH with a couple of people aboard, I get 25-28 MPG, depending on the traffic and terrain. The highest I ever got was just under 29 MPG, the lowest was around 19 (lots of busy city traffic and idling in that tankful). Usually I get around 21-23 on my usual commute.

I find the Vulcan perfectly adequate for my use (I've had a couple of four cylinder cars prior to the Taurus), but have not driven a Duratech, so I can't compare. It accelerates just fine.

Hope that helps.
    I have a 2000 SE Wagon with the 3.0 Liter Vulcan FFV (Flex Fuel Vehicle). When I first got the car (used from Hertz), I was getting 16 - 18 MPG. Then Ford replaced the fuel pump due to a recall and did some work to eliminate a chronic knocing and pinging that seems to be endemic of FFVs. After that, the MPG increased to around 20. On highway trips, I've gotten as high as 26 MPG. I generally drive a mix of highway and city.
  • bg729bg729 Member Posts: 6
    I would welcome anyone's experience with the air filters in the new Sables.Do they thoroughly screen out street and exhaust fumes? I currently drive a '92 Sable Sedan and am considering buying a Sable LS Wagon. I do mostly bumper to bumper inner city travel and in the winter, have set the dial knobs on the old Mercury to red/hot and turned the other dial to MAX A/C, since with the compressor running the air gets recirculated within the car and does not pull fumes in from the street. However, I have a circulation problems in my feet and they freeze. Most foreign cars allow you just to recirculate the air and set the heat to floor. This is not the case in either old or new Sables. In the 2002 LS- all computerized- I attempted to replicate my old strategy: pushed the button to increase the temperature to 80 degrees, but also pushed the button to floor ( yes it was hot), and then pressed the MAX/AC button and that cut off the heat and the temp dropped to A/C levels , although the readout still said 80 degrees.

If I thought the air filter worked, I could just increase the temperature in the winter and heat the floor, but I am wary...very wary...since Ford tends to skimp on quality. I would appreciate your experience and thoughts.
    The passenger compartment filters on the newer Taurus/Sable work very well at eliminating smoke, pollen, dust, and other particle-type things from getting sucked up and entering the car. They don't work on smells, but that isn't Ford's fault. I've been in several GM rentals with the filters, too, and they also work well on the particles but not the smell. They aren't designed as odor filters, I guess.

If you can't turn the system to recirc with Max AC, the system does close completely when you switch it to 'off.' That works well when you have an intermittent odor like diesel exhaust or a skunk that you want to keep out of the car.

I never tried running the system on Max AC with the temp all the way up (I have the manual AC system, not auto temp control), but there's no reason why you can't do that. I have had the AC on with the temp part way up, and that's fine. Plus, the AC compressor only runs down to 50 degrees F; below that, the airflow is the same but it's not refrigerated by the AC compressor. You should be able to do it that way, though you'd only get heat through the dash vents (given that the AC settings give you airflow through the dash vents only).
  • 610looper610looper Member Posts: 20
    I've come across a '93 Taurus GL with the 3.8v6 and ABS, and a '90 Camry "dx" with the 2.5., both for $2K; although I want the Taurus mainly because of the ABS. Reliability would be very nice too, since I may have to work part time with school and can't afford to w/o a car. I don't want to waste money, yet at the same time I want something safe.

I'm going to have them both inspected, or atleast that's what I keep reminding myself when I go look at them again. Are there any major problems with either?

I've heard about the 3.8 head-gaskets. How hard are they to replace? What price range for that job?

I'm willing to live without ABS for a year, considering that I've driven vehicles w/o it before, yet the situations really got suspenseful when it was wet out.

Oh, the "Camry" a '90 model had only been on sale since '88. Although, I don't remember when the wagons came out, nor if Toyota was a reliable enterprise back then???

Any opinions????? Please help, thank you.
  • drofkufdrofkuf Member Posts: 1
    I own a 94 sable wagon and have a long history of problems with this car (brake system, a/c, head gasket,power steering, coolant, oil and transmission leaks...) I woke up this morning and wipers no longer work. They seem to start and just stall few inches above hood. Anyone know what the problem may be?? Costs to fix??
  • ccoachccoach Member Posts: 6
    My '91 had a really flaky wiper switch on the turn signal stalk - they wouldn't go unless it was actually standing on top of a "step" in the movement of the rotating part of the stalk - hopefully that might make sense (if not, try reading again after a 6 pack of beer!;)

I honestly don't know if it was in the stalk or down into the wiper relay or the wiring between the 2.

This plus $1.00 might get you a cup-o-coffee
  • babaausbabaaus Member Posts: 10
    So far, the car has 4200 miles on it and I'm averaging 21 mpg mostly-highway driving (average speed 73 mph). While that IS disappointing, the car is so darned comfortable I'm able to overlook the gas consumption issue (that oughta make W and his cronies smile).
  • rogertc1rogertc1 Member Posts: 66
    I just got my 1999 Taurus wagon. Did they have a compartmrnt filter and where is it and how does one replace it?? Nothing in the manual.
    Thanks
    Roger
    You might have one. My '98 has one, and I think they were standard those years (though a quick check of my owner's manual says "if equipped"). It's in the manual in the maintenance section, between info on the battery and the wiper blades (Ford calls it a 'cabin air filter.' In the '98 manual it's on page 147, and it explains how to change it).

It's located in the cowl, below the right (passenger) wiper blade. There are some plastic head fasteners that hold the black plastic cowl cover on. Remove them (a pack of 6 or 8 is cheap at the dealer if you break them, which is easy to do) and take off the metal clips that hold the cover on. Remove the cover, and the filter is inside. There are some screws that hold the filter frame in place, too.

If you want to see the process and it's not in your owner's manual, I think you can get PDF versions of manuals at www.qualitycareservice.com (click on 'glove box manuals' under the 'maintenance' column and pick a '98 Taurus--it's definitely in my manual).
  • walleye5walleye5 Member Posts: 26
    Just blew mine and took out a rod bearing with it. This is second time for the gaskets. Ford repaired under warranty 22,000 miles ago and won't stand behind. Any experience on how to best get Ford to pay for this chronic problem? Mint '94 wagon now is junk status.

Mike
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    Ours went but we didn't know it, and it wasn't until we heard the 'clattering sound' of bad main bearings did we know something was wrong.

New rebuilt engine - under extended warranty (AAA - not Ford). $3600 total.
  • footiefootie Member Posts: 636
    We just got a new radiator ($400).

Now the heat coming out of the ducts is sometimes on, some times off.

The card seems to warm up much quicker than before too, which is odd.

We also got a new thermostat. The mechanic said it is a 'new kind'.

I think it's either in wrong or doesn't work right.

Does anyone have a clue about this. Where should I post this if not in this forum?
    My 99 wagon has the 3.0 24 V 6. I was at a Ford dealer and heard the service mgr talking to a customer saying the head gasket on her 3.8 engine is leaking on her Windstar and she should get rid of it ASAP. I watched for her to leave expection to see a rusted van drive out but it looked new. Ford needs to get on the ball. They drop the 3.8 off the Taurus but keep them on other vechicles.
  • dianed1dianed1 Member Posts: 1
    Am considering purchase this week, has 34000 miles and after reading all these posts....well, is there anyone out there that has some positive info on this car? I will be retaining the car for several years so would appreciate feedback. Have driven 2 different Taurus wagons for a period of 16 years.....they, for the most part were reliable but after reading all comments on this board am wondering if I was just dumb lucky.
    Need info asap. Thanks
    My 99 wagon has been great. I put new brakes and 2 tires on her and it runs great. One of the better used cars out there that most dealers will take less to get rid of them. Wonderfull car. I however would not buy one made prior to 1999. A 2000 is even better..just don't pay list.
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    Anyone got the instructions, or a link to the instructions, for programming the transponder ignition key for a '96 Taurus? SHO in my case, but I think the keys are the same.

BTW - this has been a terrific car - no problems whatsoever, and it is a blast to drive.

Thanks,

Jonty Rees
    The key cost me $17.00 from a Ford dealer and the Ford dealer wanted $50 to program it. The non Ford dealer who sold me the car picked up that tab. If a key has been lost or stolen all keys can be erased from memory and existing keys reprogrammed back into the system. You can buy a Ford key programmer for only about $300.

https://secure.ksinc.net/techtrain/user_1.htm

NEW FORD TRANSPONDER SYSTEM

Beginning with the 1998 model year, Ford will have a new transponder system on many of their vehicles. This new system is known as SecuriLock™. There are four main things that you need to know about the new SecuriLock™ system:

The new system will still use the same key blanks (Strattec P/N 598333 with the Strattec logo, 597602 with the Ford logo, 597603 with the Mercury logo).

The new system will only accept a total of eight operating keys for any one vehicle.

Two previously programmed keys are required to program additional duplicate keys into the system.

If no operating keys are available, the vehicle must be towed to the Ford dealership for reprogramming. (This may change in the near future.)

New SecuriLock™ keys must have the correct mechanical key cut for your vehicle.Conventional (non- SecuriLock™) keys cannot be programmed to your vehicle.

You will need to have two previously programmed SecuriLock™ keys and the new unprogrammed SecuriLock™ key readily accessible for the procedure. Please read and understand the procedure before you begin.

Insert the first previously programmed SecuriLock™ key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition from OFF to RUN (maintain ignition in RUN for at least one second).

Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the first SecuriLock™ key from the ignition switch.

Within five seconds of turning the ignition to OFF, insert the second previously programmed SecuriLock™ key into the ignition switch and turn the ignition from OFF to RUN (maintain ignition in RUN for at least one second but no more than 5 seconds).

Turn the ignition to OFF and remove the second SecuriLock™ key from the ignition switch.

Within 10 seconds of turning the ignition to OFF, insert the unprogrammed SecuriLock™ key (new key), into the ignition switch and turn the ignition from OFF to RUN (maintain ignition switch in RUN for it least one second). This step will program your new SecuriLock™ key.

If it is desired to program additional SecuriLock™ key(s), repeat this procedure from step 1.

If the programming procedure was successful, the new SecuriLock™ key(s) will start the vehicle's engine. The theft indicator (located on the instrument cluster) will light for three seconds and then go out.

If the programming procedure was not successful, the new

SecuriLock™ key(s) will not operate the vehicle's engine. The theft indicator will flash on and off. Wait at least one minute and then repeat the procedure from step 1. If failure repeats, bring your vehicle to your dealership to have the spare SecuriLock™ key(s) programmed.

I found this by using a Google search. I found nothing on the year of your car..check your manual or try a search.

: A
    For 1996/1997 Ford and 1997+ Buick Park Avenue:
    Duplicating: Place original key in ignition and turn to 'on' position. On some models a theft security light should turn on. Wait a few seconds until light turns off. Remove original key and insert new duplicate transponder key. (Removal of original and insertion of duplicate must be done within 10 seconds). Theft security light will turn on for a few seconds. When light turns off, duplicate key is programmed.1998 Ford vehicles (mid-year change, some early 1998 models are still using the 1997 Ford program system A):
    Duplicating: Two original keys must be present. Duplicate correct cuts on a new Transponder key. Insert first original key into ignition lock and turn to 'on' position for at least one second. Remove first key from ignition lock. Within 5 seconds, insert a second, different original key into ignition lock and turn to 'on' position for at least one second. Remove second original key from ignition lock. Within 10 seconds, insert the the new duplicate key into lock. Turn new key to 'on' position for at least one second. Repeat entire sequence if additional new duplicate keys are being programmed. A maximum of 8 total keys can operate these vehicles
  • legalrightslegalrights Member Posts: 1
    Get Pre-Paid Legal for $26.00, then call your attorney and have them send ford a letter at no cost. Ford has responded favorably to this kind of action in the past.
    I don't think you'll get much legal help for a 1994 with how many miles plus 22,000. Perhaps 80,000 miles..who knows?
    My wagon has been great...I think the oval look of the 99 dash is great..not the cookie cuter look of all the new ones. Love the heck out of mine. Couldn't think of a better one.
  • danchristiansdanchristians Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,

This is a great forum for help.
    My local Merc dealer has 5 brand new Sable LS Premium wagons for sale. The price is only
    $17990.00!! I am asking myself why are these
    so cheap? The dealer has been in business for
    many years. When I asked the dealer, he says its
    just a special they're having. Is this a good deal? or will I be sorry?

Thanks for your help

DC
    There is a very limited group of people who want them. Kind of like a Lincoln Town Car. There is no young adult or middle age appeal. The down side of it is their resale stinks. They are more of a corperate lease work horse than anything else. A lot of car for so little. You could probably talk the dealer down even lower.
    Are you aware that Ford has a manufacturer to customer cash back incentive on the Sable? You may be looking at the best deal of your life.

Tell us please where this dealer is located. I'm interested. I'll trade my station wagon for an 03.

Happy new year!
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    for the key programming advice. I just had to turn the engine on for 15 secs, turn it off, remove the key, replace with the unprogrammed key and turn it on again within a few secs. Worked a treat.
This discussion has been closed.