Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Taurus/Mercury Sable Wagons

Comments

• baxterqualitybaxterquality Member Posts: 1
    Thank Jon

I did the same procedure except unbolt the transmission range sensor. You save me at least a couple of hundred dollars on troubleshooting.

Art B.
  • geo63geo63 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 taurus wagon and i love the power of the duratec motor. when i brake, there is a growling sound coming from the pedal, not a pulsation, which would indicate a warped rotor. and it also feels very spongy, i know the sponginess is air in the lines, but would it cause the scrunching sound also? how is the reputation of the ohv duratec, i have 90,000 miles on it, but i got a very good deal on it so i couldnt pass it up. any comments would be appreciated. thanks
  • mowog1100mowog1100 Member Posts: 1
    Hi All....On a recently purchased 1996 Taurus, this past weekend I had the exact same electrical problem....radio sound inop in R or D,...[OK in P or N],...seat belt light came on, went out at times,...and power steering acted up...........
    A new transmission range sensor [neutral safety switch] cured all the problems.............$25.00 from Advance Auto Parts............

Steve
  • chrisptownchrisptown Member Posts: 11
    took delivery of 2005 SEL wagon. dealer had obtained same from dealer in Ma. vehicle driven 375 miles to my dealership. Vehicle seemed perfect @ delivery. drove it 4 dys. , backed out of drive way and noticed a lrg. puddle of liquid. T was transmission fluid! vehicle flatbedded to dealership 120 miles away. Dealer told me the problem was the auto trans. fluid was overfilled @ the factory and when it got hot came out the "overflow" drain. Does this seem possible. what about quality control @ the Atlanta factory?? I do like the vehicle overall. Hope this is the only issue I need to deal with. thoughts
  • paisanopaisano Member Posts: 1
    I HAD A PROBLEM SIMILAR IF THIS IS A FORD OR MERCURY YOU HAVE TO TRACE THE LINES BACK TO THE ENGINE.THERE ARE TWO LOCATIONS WHERE THE LINES CONNECT TO A BRASS BUSHING. THERE ARE RUBBER WASHERS OR GASKETS IN THESE FITTINGS. YOU HAVE TO BACK THE FITTINGS OUT AND GET A SHARP TOOL LIKE AN ICE PICK AND
    BREAK THE PLASTIC LOCK WASHER INSIDE. THEN YOU CAN SNAP THE NEW FITTINGS WHICH YOU HAVE TO BUY OF COURSE ON TO THE LINE AND THEN CONNECT TO THE BLOCK. THIS LEAK DROVE ME CRAZY FOR MONTHS AND WORD TOTHE WISE REPLACE BOTH FITTINGS I HOPE
    SOLVES YOUR PROBLEM STRANGELY ENOUGH SOME MECHANIC TOLD ME THE SAME THING THAT SOMEONE OVERFILLED MY TRANS FLUID.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    paisano... just a word about using ALL CAPS. It's generally harder to read and long stretches of it are the equivalent of yelling. Much better to save it for EMPHASIS.

You'll also tend to get more responses as some folks will simply ignore any posting that's all upper case.

Just a bit of 'net etiquette!
  • ricksdadricksdad Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with my 97 taurus. Just loosen the motor bolts and push in on the motor it will work again normally then tighten them up again.. I have to do this once every couple of months. Takes less than five minutes.
  • iridesceiridesce Member Posts: 1
    Nick - you are a god - ;) :shades:

I just traded for a 97 Taurus - got through the many times mentioned coolant issue - wow, severely brown sludge ( flushed and backflushed once, ran distilled water through it four times before color was close to clear - on these engines you MUST use distilled water mixed with coolant in these engines - you MUST flush at least annually ( it always surprises me that most don't ) or clean it out again and again ... ) - now have the lack of heat issue { we must just love to wrench ... } after I had a stereo put in

Anyways to all out there, Nick's procedure Nick's procedure solved my power window - power steering ( ??? )- radio - clicking relay, intermittent seatbelt light / only in Park, not in Drive issue.

In my case, the previous owner was a little lax in maintenance and had spilled some baking soda solution over the connector - a little parts cleaner, a little finger grease with a toothbrush and a little electrolytic grease and the windows roll up without having to switch to neutral going 75 mph.

Thanks to all who contribute to the forum - I'll be back with any solutions I find

Enjoy,

Remember - use your search terms in your posts - you will be surprised how many people think like you do
  • alfistaalfista Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 3.0 V6 that is showing similar behavior more and more frequently.
    Please let me know what you find out.
  • 97tauruswagon97tauruswagon Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a 1997 Taurus GL Wagon with a broken antenna. Does anyone know if it had a power or regular one? I found an unused wire near the spare tire area.

Can anyone help? Were can I buy cheap "new parts"? Used ones, besides ebay?

Thanks
  • sable2002sable2002 Member Posts: 5
    I bought a 2002 Sable GS Wagon, 25K miles, about a month ago. Recently noticed a pop sound, usually from the rear, medium/low pitch, perhaps from around the wheel wells. To hear it, I stop, press the gas to begin moving again, a few seconds after the car starts moving I usually hear the pop. Can sometimes hear it in the front, and sometimes when going around a turn. I can sometimes also get the sound from the rear when removing my foot from the gas. Anyone know what it might be? Is it serious? Maybe the sedans have the same sound, but the noise stays in the trunk? The sound is somewhat quiet, similar to a knock.
  • sable2002sable2002 Member Posts: 5
    I posted this message yesterday, and have some new information: The problem goes away with a full tank of gas. After I use some of this gas I will check to see for sure that it originates in the gas tank.
    I once had the same issue on a rental car. Very anoying and tracking it back to the "slosh" in the fuel tank. Most fuel tanks are still plastic but will be moving back to metal as the metal ones have lower hydrocarbon emissions. You may want to sit in the back seat and have someone drive it the way you do and check it out!!
  • ourbestcarourbestcar Member Posts: 1
    i have a dual lighter- top & bottom, recently the top stopped working-(fuse ok)
    suggestions? also drivers side window makes a rubbing sound goning up.
  • happyharristonhappyharriston Member Posts: 1
    I've got a 1997 Taurus GL Wagon too. Mine has a power antenna. I'm afraid I don't know where to get an antenna besides through a dealer or a junk yard. I've had a good experience with autopartswarehouse.com, but they don't seem to carry an antenna.

Good luck.
  • klucas1klucas1 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 91 sable gs wagon. Runs great until yesterday the digital dash lights....book calls it an electric cluster....started to click on and off. Still ran fine and made it home ok. When I stopped the car, the clicking sound continued. Like it was still going on and off. I restarted the car with no problem. This AM I went out to start it up...NO power at all. Would not turn over. Has anyone had any experience with this type of problem and know what it may be???? I am on disability due to pregnancy complications with VERY limited income. I can't afford to take it in to the electrical shop and have them take advantage of me....seems to happen being a woman.... :mad:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. If I can't find someone to do the work for me I would at least like a little knowledge taking it in so they think I know what I am talking about!

karen
  • klucas1klucas1 Member Posts: 2
    does anyone know how to change the keyless entry code? I purchased my car used and the lot didn't know the code. I would like to be able to use this. Someone said the "stock" code should be on a sticker somewhere in the car...any ideas?

91 sable gs wagon

Karen
  • calodosocalodoso Member Posts: 2
    I can believe I just saw this posting. I’ve had the exact same problem with my 97 for the last two months. Nobody could figure it out, I looked all over the web and nothing; it was driving me crazy. I eventually figured out myself with the help of friend and fixed it, neutral safety switch ($26) from advance auto.
  • carnovuscarnovus Member Posts: 1
    Need some help. For some reason my hatchback latch will not latch. I have a 91 Taurus wagon. Sorry for the dumb help question, but I am a car novus. I can change the oil and do a few other minor repairs, but that is about it. Any help is GREATLY appreciated!!!!
  • fdthirdfdthird Member Posts: 352
    The code should be on a sticker on the car's computer.
  • rgov12rgov12 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Taurus , and when the gas tank gets below 1/2 it cuts out, like it's being starved of fuel. Really bad going up a steep hill. A full tank of gas corrects the problem until it gets below 1/2 tank. Any ideas what may be causing the problem?
  • myfordmyford Member Posts: 1
    Had this problem with another vehicle - Turned out to be a loose clamp on the fuel pump pick up tube. When the gas level went lower (ie: under half tank or going uphill) it would act like it was starving for fuel. Actually bought a new pump and discovered this in the installation process.
  • elizabeth9353elizabeth9353 Member Posts: 3
    Ok, I looked at a 91 Taurus Wagon, 119K miles. Interior good, body great, mechanically seems great. No apparent tranny problem. Have looked at all messages on this forum and from my understanding its the 92 - 97 models that have head gasket and tranny problems. Any suggestions, other than taking it in for a whole 21 point inspection? Were these models engines and trannies mechanically sound? I know all cars have their issues, but in general, are these models sound? No visible signs of leaks under hood, no problems with oil or transmission fluid, nothing coming out of tail pipe. I just need help. And yes, I'm a woman whose husband isn't all that car smart. He's gotten us into alot of trouble with older cars that he so desperately loves. He had a 91 wagon almost 10 years ago and loved it. Sister in law had one and ran til over 300,000 miles with no problems other than general maintenance. If anyone has any info, its greatly appreciated.
    Thanks so much!!
  • grassergrasser Member Posts: 1
    Our Sable wagon had the power steering hoses replaced a year ago, now it is leaking from the top of the steering box (or whatever it is) The thing leaks fluid almost as fast as I can put it in. I had a mechanic look at it to find the pricise location and it leaked 4 times as bad after he looked at it. Is there any way I can stifle the leak in that vicinity without replacing the part (650.00 dollars is the estimate for the work) honestly an 89 wagon is not worth much. will power steering stop leak help at all. Is there anything else I can do?

Dana
    niemidana@yahoo.com
  • badtaurusbadtaurus Member Posts: 5
    The number usually is on a sticker unless it has been removed by the former owner; usually in the glove box or in the spare tire compartment. The only other way as far as I know is to pay your nearest Ford dealer $79.00 to reclaim the old number and to change ot to whatever you want. Sometimes the number is on the front cover of your auto manual. Good Luck to you.
    I just puerchased one today with 43,000 miles on it. The stats I ead say it gets 18 mpg city and 26mpg open road. Does anyone have the real gas mileage figures for me and some information I should know about that will make me a happier driver. Thanks, badtaurus
    Join the club. I just bought one today (97 wagon) ; a real jewel with low, low mileage in the 40's.
    There is a button to turn on the CD player but all I see is a cassette player. It's not a big issue with me if it's not there but where is the darn thing if it is there? The button works real well with a little light that come on and says "no" after you push the button. Does that mean , no you can't play it or no, it's not here? I give up!! Help, Help!
    I went to the Ford dealer today expecting to pay $79.00 to retrieve my code for the car I just bought. I colud not find it anywhere. The Service Dept. Attendent immediatel went out to my car and retrieved it off the module locaated under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. The original code numbers are listed on top of the module. Hope this makes someone's day. I saved $79.00 because of this act of kindness. I pray you are also blessed. Have anice day.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    Your Taurus radio is equipped to run a remote cd changer. The remote CD changer was an optional device. On Sedans it was trunk mounted. I do not know where it is mounted in the wagons, but if you have the manual, it should show you where it is if you have it.

It is entirely possible you do not have this changer in your particular wagon.
  • rustic1rustic1 Member Posts: 4
    CD changer is in two possible places in late model Wagon. It is either in the far back of the wagon's "trunk" in that little compartment on wall of the passenger side OR (if you have the bucket seats not the bench seat) it MIGHT be in the console between the seats. Either way it is in a black thing with a little sliding door, slide it open and hit the eject and the 6disk holder pops out.
    Thanks for your replies and proper advice! I have no CD player even though there is a button to push to get to it. How much for a CD player guys?

Shocking News!!! Ford wants $105.00 to make an ignition key that will start my Taurus. To my knowledge, they are the only ones that can make and program a key. There is no way out unless you are an electronic wizard that can monkey the system!

If you can't find yout lost keyless entry code.. look under the dash to the right of the steering wheel. It's on the moduule. Have a great day!
  • ceeceeceecee Member Posts: 5
    Hi from way up here in Montreal.I am thinking of buying a 92 Ford Taurus Wagon.
    The asking price is $700.00,and the body and interior are like new.It has 170,000
    kms(that's like 150,000 miles)Drives real nice,but has a huge engine(3.8)
    I have 2 kids,and it would be a get around town car.What do you people think??
    Any advice??I sure do like it..... ;)
  • beeman57beeman57 Member Posts: 1
    Had similar problem.
    It was the $10.00 voltage regulator located near the battery
  • rapidrickrapidrick Member Posts: 70
    A locksmith will set you up on the key, usually around $35 American, including the key. :P
  • harveycharveyc Member Posts: 4
    I am considering buying a 1996 Taurus Station Wagon, 79000 miles, with AC, PW, PL, Cruise, AT, Keyless entry for $1995. It has a dent in the front passenger side that affects the hood (doesn't close tight, but closes) and some paint scratched away in the same area.

Single mom of four kids here and this would be a MAJOR purchase for me, with not much of anything left over. Does this sound like a good deal? What kind of problems does the '96 Taurus wagon commonly have? I can't afford lots of repairs. Also, I moved to NC four years ago, from Michigan. I need a vehicle that will make it to Michigan once a year. Can you all give me some advice real quick? Thanks!
    Hi
    I'm a single mom too,waiting for an answer from this site :confuse: Did you get the car yet?? I know what you mean when it comes to $$$$ Gotta spread it around
    intelligently...Well,I hope all works out for you and your kids,maybe we'll get an answer from someone....
    Hi ceecee,
    The one I am looking at has a 3.0. I talked to several mechanics today and they all said the same thing. 3.6 engines are notoriously bad and 3.8s are even worse. Stay way. The 3.0 is a better engine. The other thing to watch out for with a Taurus is headgaskets (especially in 95 and older models) and the transmission. Those are the two big problems Ford had. I had this one looked over by two different mechanics and they both said it looked like a good car. (One is a friend so I trust him). I think I will be buying it this weekend. Wish me luck!!! And there goes Christmas! :)
    Hey again ceecee,
    I looked up the Kelly Blue Book on a 92 Taurus wagon with 150,000 miles, in Michigan cause I don't know a canadian zip code. In excellent condition, the car is worth $1795 and in only fair condition it is still worth $1175. And that's with just basics...no extras. You have to wonder why they are only asking $700? Something just doesn't sound right to me.
    Hi
    I bought the car,had it inspected from fender to fender,and the trans is on the way out.But....have a rebuilt one coming in for a great price.I have no regrets,this is an acceptable car. With the price of the tranny,I'm still :) How did things work out with yours??
    I bought the car last night...it is in the shop. The front left headlight mount is broken and the panel that holds it straight. My friend is going to fix it for me so that it will pass North Carolina Inspection. Even with the price he is charging to fix it, it will still come in under Blue Book value for fair condition....its just gonna wipe out everything I have in savings. Back to living from paycheck to paycheck. :cry: It's suppose to be ready by next Thursday, so I'm hoping the one I'm driving now holds out that long.
    Wow,
    Sorry to hear that. I really hope everything works out for you,
    and you and the kids will be sitting in the car soon. How come so
    long to repair?? Look at it this way...if that's the only thing to repair,
    you still got a deal considering the milleage... :P
  • BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    My brother has a 99 Sable Wagon with 35,000 miles on it. He's the 2nd owner. It has a water leak and the passenger side floor gets wet. Any ideas where the water is entering the car at?
    It's likely the heater core. When you touch it with your hand is it in fact water or could it be antifreeze? If it's the heater core, it's a pain in the *ss to do. Never done it on a tauris, but once took me 8 hours to do....
  • BobsGT235BobsGT235 Member Posts: 63
    My brother said its water, not anti-freeze.
  • bprewettbprewett Member Posts: 1
    Did you find an answer to the problem? I have a '95 Taurus GL giving the very same problem.
  • mikem9mikem9 Member Posts: 1
    i have a similiar prob. on my '95 Taurus LX sedan, it is on the driver's side.I have a moonroof,which has a small drain leading from it...how to get at it i don't know.do you have a moonroff in your vehicle.
  • dralphdralph Member Posts: 1
    Significant other arrived last night in her 97 Taurus wagon, with 3.0 Vulcan engine. She states that coolant guage never moved off cold, at bottom of guage range, except when off the four lane (~72 mph in cold air), in town, when it rose to more normal reading. We added about 3 qts of coolant mix this am. Any thoughts as to what may be going on? Themostat stuck open?
    Thanks. Dave R
  • jeoffreycatjeoffreycat Member Posts: 1
    I had a similar problem. Does this occur after it rains? Did you recently change your cabin air filter? Depending on how everything was put back, rain can come in through that opening and leak under the carpeting on the passenger-side floor.
  • 73ghia73ghia Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem with my 2003 Taurus. First thought is that the drains were plugged and causing overflow into the air vent above the heater box, but they are not. Have no idea where to go now...
  • fixitfordfixitford Member Posts: 3
    If you own a 2003 Ford Taurus the odds are very good that you already have, or are just about to have your Defrost Blower Motor go out.

We noticed a puddle of water on the passenger side floor very soon after we bought the car. It turns out that due to a design defect, water can get into the heater system and ends up on the floor. We took the car to the dealer twice (under warranty) to have this addressed. What the dealer didn’t tell us- is that the blower motor and resistor wind up sitting in a puddle of water.

You don’t need to be an electrical engineer to figure out what happens next. This week the weather turned cold and the blower motor burned out. Back to dealer, 3rd time, charged nearly $300 to replace the blower motor. They told us sorry, not a warranty issue!

Ford has issued at least 2 TSBs on this, and they know it is a design issue. There hasn’t been a recall so they tell you to get lost.

If you have a 2003 Taurus, this will probably happen to you. If it already has do us all a favor and file a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. Link below:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

You will need your VIN # to complete the process, but aside from that it is easy.

If enough people complain, they will make Ford issue a recall and correct this under warranty.
This discussion has been closed.