Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes E-Class Wagons (E320, E500, E55 AMG)

12346»

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,145
    A reporter from a national newspaper would like to speak to consumers who have purchased a high-end or high-performance wagon, such as the Audi A4 Avant, Mercedes-Benz E55, Dodge Magnum RT or the Volvo V70R, as examples . If you would to speak with the media, please respond to ctalati@edmunds.com with your daytime contact info. and city/state of residence no later than January 6, 2006.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gtr3gtr3 Member Posts: 1
    This feature can be overridden. The override can be incremental. The service department had to spend time on the telephone, but did disable the feature after almost a day of trying. However, the passenger seat was still not going to its full rearward position. After I told them it still was not acceptable they took it back, and the next day it was fixed. Tell you service department to get on the phone to MB, and that you want full rearward travel, and that you know it can be done.
  • mie320mie320 Member Posts: 2
    I have three all wheel drive wagons, a 1998 Volvo V70 XC, 2004 MB E320 4-Matic, and a 2005 BMW 325xiT. blckislandguy asks why buy an E class? There are several reasons I chose to get an E class over another XC when I gave the XC to my son. One reason is that I really didn't like how it drove. The steering on the new XC didn't feel very well connected to the road compared to the E320, and especially the 325. The steering seemed closer to our Ford Excursion than the E320 or 325. I also drove a V70 R and the steering "looseness" was gone in that car. The 1998 that I have seems to have much better steering. Secondly, the handling didn;t feel as crisp or smooth as the 325 and E320. What I mean by that is that bumps are felt more in the Volvo but at the same time it doesn't seem to handle as well. The XC also seems noisier when driving, especially during hard acceleration when the turbo 5 screams some really aweful sounds. My third reason was that the new (2001+) XC does't have good visibility for changing lanes for me. I loved my 1998 XC, and would have kept it but my son needed a car in college (colorado) and the XC is perfect for that. Overall, the Mercedes seems to be a more refined car, which it should be since it costs significantly more. The cost of maintenance should not be downplayed either. So far I havn't had to pay for anything on the Mercedes out of pocket, but the Volvo has been quite expensive to maintain. There are many 1000$ shop visits for various sensors. (ex. ABS sensor failed, about $1000 to fix) I expect the Mercedes will have similar problems once it gets more miles. I hope this helps.

Sam
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Member Posts: 1,150
    Mie320, without having extensively driven the E Wagon, I'll concede the noise and steering issues. I do think that the 2001+ XC (the one I am familiar with) has much better all weather capability with more traction directed up front (and, yes, one does feel some torque steer), better fogs (front and rear), more ground clearance, more load capacity, and IMHO a nicer interior especially the center stack. I won't argue if you with more experience in the E Series finds it more refined. I just don't think it is worth the upcharge of perhaps 20K (34K or so vs. 54K or so).

The service experience at MB may be more upscale. It may even be akin to the treatment at a good restaurant. I have become an expert on the mid-market service experience at Volvo and can tell you it is akin to the experience you would get at a casual dining place like Applebees: very casual and certainly not very cheap.
  • mie320mie320 Member Posts: 2
    blckislandguy, some of your points are valid. However, I disagree about many of them. First, I think that the Mercedes interior is far, far better. The wood in the Mercedes is better placed and looks nicer, the leather is higher quality, and the overall appearance is nicer I think. If you are comparing to the 1996-2002 E class, then yes, the Volvo may have a nicer looking interior, but the new one is just wonderful. I can't compare the all weather traction between the E320 and the 2001+ Volvo, but the E, and even the 325xi that I have, have far better all weather traction than the 1998 Volvo XC that I have. The newer Volvo's use a Haldex AWD system I believe, and that provides better traction I'm sure. The Mercedes also has electronic stability control standard, which helps a lot on ice/snow and even rain. My Volvo only has traction control, and even that only works up to 30 mph or so. AS for the foglights, we rarely get fog here. However, I have bi-xenons on the E320 which are amazing. The amount of light they provide is better than any other headlight I have seen. They are a lot better than the bi-xenons on my 325xi, and they make my 1998 Volvo XC's look terrible (which they are). Interior space seems about equal. I havn't compared the EPA numbers, but I imagine they are a little deceiving. The E320's back end is angled fairly sharply forward, which reduces cargo space. Practically speaking, this space is rarely used, so there really isn't to much lost. On the other hand, the Volvo basically has a right angle at the back, which maximizes theoretical cargo space, but in practice that space is rarely used. As for service, they are practically the same, except I get a loaner whenever I take the Mercedes in. The dealers have the same owner (Barrier motors) and they share the same parking lot. You really can't go wrong with either car, and it's just up to each person to decide which one they like most.

Sam
  • sullyaksullyak Member Posts: 30
    I have read about the 2007 320 CDI V6 4-matic sedan. I am very curious as to weather or not they will also be offering it in a wagon. I called MB but they couldn't tell me. Does anyone know?

Thanks.
  • wkaiser1wkaiser1 Member Posts: 2
    I just returned from my dealer (MB, Manhattan). I was looking to lease a 2006 E350 NON-4matic. My salesman said there are none left in the country (well there are 8 on the west coast) I can only get a 4matic wagon and they also are in short supply. I wanted the non-4matic because it had the 7 speed automatic (4matic has only 5 speed auto) and that I do very little winter driving. Does this suggest to anyone out there that the 2006's are depleting their last inventories and the 2007's are near?
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I would suggest calling a few more local dealers. In the NE, most of the wagons sold are 4-matic, but I can't believe all the inventory is gone. I have been told things in the past by the salespeople at MB Manhattan that I knew to be untrue. Its one of the reasons I no longer shop there.

"Trust, but verify."
  • jhiguy377jhiguy377 Member Posts: 1
    I'm getting ready to change the fuel filter in my 1990 300TE 4-matic...geesh- where is the fuel filter located? my dealer told me in the rear compartment by the tool kit... not so. HELP- thanks- Jeff
  • 87path187path1 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2002 E320 4matic wagon and love it. The general consensus from Mercedes enthusiast forums is the last year of the W210 model E class is the best one. This would be yr 2002 for sedans, 2002-2003 for wagons. A lot of the problems that plagued the 1996-2000 years were ironed out by 2002. The biggies were rust problems (front spring perches and door seals)and motor mount wear. Awesome sources for e320 (or any benz) research are benzworld.org, mercedesshop.com and mbworld.org. Two of these have w210 specific forums with lots of helpful people, plus several do it yourself write-ups.
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    our data with Y2K E320 4matic wagon is consistent with other postings indicating that was a buggy year for E320. we never had motor mount or rust problems. we owned it for about 5 years. problems we did have with the car are too numerous to list. it did become more reliable after its first year - like the "bathtub curve" of reliability for extremely complex systems such as commercial aircraft!
    i'll never expect reliability out of a mercedes, but i think the features/ride/comfort/safety are so incredible that i would consider another Benz purchase - diesel for sure!
  • dennisl2372dennisl2372 Member Posts: 1
    we just purchased an E320 4MATIC! While we are still learning how to operate everything my wife noticed there is CARPET between the threshold and the door.
    We can't keep it clean! Does anyone have any suggestions on how to cover or clean this area?
  • rktekrktek Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 E500. Has anyone had a problem with the electric door locks? The drivers side lock bounces up and down when the key is pressed. Sometimes the catch does not reset it's self. I cannot figure out how to remove the interior panel to see if something has become disengaged. any advice other than go to a dealer. Thanks
  • robm3robm3 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a wagon and my dealer claims that this adjustment cannot be made. Could you let me know where and which service person you dealt with?
    Thanks
  • rhondapbrhondapb Member Posts: 4
    I am wonderin what year you ended up buying and what you finally thought! We are looking at a 2003 - E320. THanks.
  • kevfirstkevfirst Member Posts: 1
    I find that my E500 (2004 wagon) doesn't want to coast; I have to "drive" it forward, even down steep gradients. As soon as I lift my foot off the gas, it slows right down - as if it was changing down gears. I've checked that it's not locked into a low range (cleared by holding the shift lever to the right for a couple of seconds). But it feels like the car is down-shifting to avoid free-wheeling.
    Is this a feature of the design or might there be a problem with my particular model? Maybe I've missed something obvious. Help!
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Ordered the 2007 model and have now had it for a year and 4 months.

Has been a joy in all respects.

Have not posted of late and returned to find Edmunds format a pleasant upgrading.

Just checking in.
  • sseell2sseell2 Member Posts: 9
    My grandmother is offering to 'sell' me her 1996 Mercedes E320 with only 15,000 miles (she can no longer drive). I am a Toyota Camry/Honda Odyssey owner and have never considered a Mercedes until now. The E320 is rear wheel drive and I live in a winter climate (roads are mostly clear though) in the foothills near Salt Lake City. Any comments on the reliability of the E320, winter handling, history of problems ... would be appreciated.
  • rolandthrustrolandthrust Member Posts: 14
    2004 E500 4matic wagon...recently upgraded the dvd (275.00) from MBNA...since then have intermitant problem where screen says "navigation activate ..please wait"...sometimes this wait is for an hour...it`s unacceptable. Dealer in Tampa thought it was due to car overcharging and after repair ,it again worked intermittantly with same problem.It`s caused us grief as I`ve been traveling extensively and depend on it. Anyone have similar problem or thoughts on what may be causing this? Should I ask to have unit replaced?
  • bermanslawbermanslaw Member Posts: 6
    For a new E320 Wagon, my N.E. New Jersey dealer offers to absorb $2400 worth of remaining lease payments on my current '04 CL500, against a sticker of about $60K on the wagon. A 39-month no money down - lease with a 50% residual prices out just under $1000/month incl. NYS sales taxes (which I would pay up front). However, there's a program now in place to finance a purchase at a 3.45% interest rate, up to 66 months with no pre-payment penalty. Dealer says there's no more than a token reduction off sticker to be had, though I haven't shopped the car or pressed. He also tells me that this interest rate, or any incentive program for that matter, is very unusual on this model. Finally, he says the E-Class will be remodeled for 2010, at which time the wagon may be eliminated from the US product line altogether. I usually lease my cars, but this lease feels expensive relative to cost, while the finance option sounds attractive at first glance. So, buy or lease? Should I expect more price flexibility in either case? Is the possible discontinuance of availability a plus (for later resale) or a minus (outdated styling)? Thanks for any advise you have to offer.
  • bwana4bwana4 Member Posts: 1
    I'm hoping the nice folks on this forum can answer my question...

We're looking for an 01 or 02 E320 wagon to haul my 3 kids and their friends back and forth to school and to activities. We would use the third row jump seat on a regular basis. Can you tell me if there is a/c in that area? I know there are vents for the second row passengers but don't know about those in the jump seat area.

I really appreciate your help and look forward to hearing from you!
    No third row a/c in my '07.

To regularly carry anyone in this third seat is torture for all but the smallest humans.

And, no baby/toddler car seat hook up either.
  • deadalousdeadalous Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,
    i have a mercedes E320 2003 and the problem is i am not able to change radio stations(the ones saved on memory) from my steering wheel buttons, it only searchs manually once i click the next button from my steering wheel,but i wanted it to switch between the channels saved on memory.
    is there any way to make this?maybe from the menu?
    i appreciate your help.
    thanks
  • bruhoganbruhogan Member Posts: 4
    Drive a 2002 E320 in Wisconsin. Have used Michelin snows for years on rear wheel drive wagons with great results. TireRack.com has nice sets of wheels and tires which will arrive balanced and ready to go your wagon.
  • sportsracer5sportsracer5 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone explain the huge difference in specs for the cargo volume between the current gen wagon and the previous gen? Current is 24 cubic feet, previous is 43. The dimensions of the two cars are not vastly different. Is it all due to the sloping roof of the newer wagon?
    am ready to trade my 2004 E500 AWD in and looking at possible new Benz purchase.Dealer sold only one so far and none in inventory. Seem to br rarer than hen`s teeth.Has N E one had N E experience wtih the newest model?..Very disheartened when told the beautiful " shooting break" would not be coming to the states .What a beautiful design.New E350 engine to be 300 hp V 6 .Hate 2 wait. Rolandthrust
    New e350 awd in Palladium Silver..it`s a very nice riding car ..slightly underpowered for its size. Electronics relatively easy to learn..did get extended warranty as well as wheel/tire warranty (remember the pot holes)..Will keep u posted RolandThrust
  • mseiboldmseibold Member Posts: 1
    I know this may be outdated now but I just bought a 2001 E320 Snow-white Wagon in April 2011 with standard rear wheel drive, and a low 102,000 miles- it's like a dream! Powerful V-6 221 hp, 5-Speed Tiptronic shifter. I think it is the most enjoyable car I have ever owned as it appears well maintained.

I live in the Portland Oregon area my entire life. Apparently some younger people had the Mercedes in LA and put low profile chromed alloy wheels on it with low 'flat-runner' tires onto the vehicle. At first I thought it looked too much like a 'boyz-in-the-hood wagon- Snow-white with grey leather interior, and the pristine white with chrome trim looks so clean, but it draws rave reviews everywhere I go. Even police officers comment that they want one just like it and “where did you find this awesome looking car!”

As a 6'1" 57 year old middle aged American male, I find the seats to be nearly like from heaven! I am sorry to hear that you wife finds the seat laps too long- as most auto reviewers over the years will complain of seat laps as too short and especially in many Japanese import autos. There is nothing worse to an average height driver feeling like he is falling forward off the seats because they are too short. I'd say if the seat laps feel too long, buy a nice luxury leather cushion for the lower back and this will push the lower derier forward a bit- adjust the seat back to lean slightly forward to make up for proper back support. If an adult is that small and shorter legs, I guess the only real sound solution is to buy a smaller car with shorter seat laps or to have a custom seat lap fashioned.

If you can afford a new car like this Mercedes at $50,000, you should be able to find a custom auto interior shop that can refashion the seat lap for the driver.

Good luck,

Mark Seibold in Portland Oregon
  • waid10waid10 Member Posts: 21
    Hi - I am considering a used 2011 E350 wagon. I was wondering if any owners of this vehicle could share their thoughts, likes/dislikes, etc.?

Thanks.
    Love it. Too many improvements over my 07 to list.

Things like push button seat folding flat, rear camera, hard drive nav etc.

Bought as soon as the new model came out in 11.
  • waid10waid10 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks for the response rockypaul. I have never owned a wagon (other than when my parents had one when i was a kid 30-35 years ago). I first considered an SUV, but I think I have convinced my wife this wagon is the better choice: (1) wagon drives much better, (2) we don't need to tow anything, (3) wagon is close, if not equal, to SUV in weather/snow, (4) wagon has a third row of seats if we need extra seating for our kids' friends in a pinch.
  • pelleetmanpelleetman Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2013
    Can you tell me what your problem ended up being? We have a 2004 E500 that seems to have the same issue. Thanks !