Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes E-Class Wagons (E320, E500, E55 AMG)

deviandevian Member Posts: 1
I am considering buying a 1995 E320 wagon. This
will be my first Mercedes and have my concerns
regarding the horror stories about the cost of
maintenance. The car I'm considering has only
35,000 miles on it and I'll have it checked out by
our mechanic who specializes in Mercedes, but what
"normal" expenses should I expect. I just read
about the guy whos A/C compressor, head gasket, etc
went out to the tune of $3000.

While the cost of this car isn't a stretch for me,
I certainly don't want to be spending tons on what
I would hope would be a reliable means of
transport.

Also, I understand this uses premium fuel so what
kind of gas mileage can I realistly expect. I'm
getting rid of my Ford Expedition because of the 12
mpg (decided when gas hit $1.50+).

Am I buying this auto for the wrong reason and
expecting too much? I'm looking for a great vehicle
with room for hauling some "stuff", but with a
little comfort and isn't going to make me regret
buying it due to maintenance.

Comments

• editjeffeditjeff Member Posts: 5
    Devian,

European cars in general tend to undergo a "midlife crisis" that usually involves a great deal of expense. Mercedes are not immune to this phenomenon. Our 1988 Volvo 760 went through an AC compressor, AC condenser, radiator, front brakes (couple of times), fuel pumps (it has 2) transmission mount, rear Nivomat shocks ($500 parts alone), struts, oil leaks, water pump, on and on and on.

Many people will stick it out and pay the ransom because they love the car. We stayed with our Volvo a little too long I think. A Mercedes should be somewhat better about overall durability of parts and systems. But be prepared in case it is not. It is very easy to have a single visit to the shop cost $3000 and that may happen every year.

We now have a Subaru Outback wagon which I like, but it does not have that european feel. It is primarily my wife's car so I don't complain too much. I would love to have a Mercedes wagon even with the chance of high maintenance costs.

Jeff
  • mark156mark156 Member Posts: 1,915
    Hi Folks, I'm thinking of getting a 2001 E-wagon around xmas time when I trade my '99 Jeep Grand Cherokee in. I've had two Jeeps in the past and would like to try something different. I like the fact that the wagon gets considerable better mileage Also, the third seat would come in handy. I had an older Mercedes in the past ('91 560SEL) that started to cost me a fortune in repairs with only 82,000 miles. So, I traded it in on a 2001 E430 sport (currently 4,000 miles).

Happy travels, Mark
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • cchow2cchow2 Member Posts: 1
    I've heard that Mercedes E class seats are uncomfortable on long trips. Any comments?
    I have a 2000 E430 that I'm getting ready to take on a 1,800 mile trip. With 4,000 current miles, I find the car very comfortable. I have the optional multicontour seats that make them very adjustable. I'll let you know if there is a problem.
    2010 Land Rover LR4, 2013 Honda CR-V, 2009 Bentley GTC, 1990 MB 500SL, 2001 MB S500, 2007 Lincoln TC, 1964 RR Silver Cloud III, 1995 MB E320 Cab., 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach
  • swimmomswimmom Member Posts: 23
    I am planning an E320 Wagon purchase next year and heard through the rumour mill that the E series would go through a major redesign for 2002. Does anyone know if this is in fact true and will that also apply to the wagon?
  • alingaling Member Posts: 598
    Nope, for model year 2003 (meaning that the cars should start arriving here in fall of 2002) but definitely not next year. That would be far too soon!

Drew
  • thegeneraltsothegeneraltso Member Posts: 25
    hi all --
    i would like to update my '00 e320 estate with 17" wheels. just wondering if bigger rims would deteriorate the ride. thanks --edward
    You can expect the ride to definitely be firmer, but also expect the handling to be slightly better. With the larger wheels, you'll need tires with lower sidewalls (this is called Plus One sizing) to compensate so that the overall diameter is still the same as before (so you won't run into any speedometer or odometer errors). This lower sidewall is why the ride deteriorates - less cushioning - and handling improves - less sidewall flex in turns.

Hope this helps!
    Drew
    hello drew -
    thanks for the great advice. i think 17" on a set of amg wheels would do nicely on my wagon. --edward
    Yes, the AMG wheels would look nice. I recommend that you check out the AMG wheel prices at www.tirerack.com. They're usually much cheaper than buying from your dealership. But, also have a look at the MB accessories catalogue since they have a wide selection and something may meet your fancy.

Good luck!
    Drew
    hello drew --
    i have finally bought a set of 17" amg monoblock from the tirerack as suggested. they do look great and the handling is pretty fantastic on dunlop 5000. the ride is a little rougher over unsmooth roads. thanks for the great advice. oh i need now is the e55's engine :-) -ed
    Glad that you're enjoying the ride and the wheels, Edward. LOL, the E55's engine would be nice, but not when gas prices are double what they were last year :-)

Best of luck!
    Drew/aling
    Townhall Community Leader/Vans Conference
    As I mentioned above, I took my E430 from TN to CA on a 1,800 mile trip. I averaged a little over 25mpg with my V-8. The car was smooth and quiet. Although I'm looking to replace my '99 Jeep GC with another SUV, I just might end up with a E wagon. I'm curious if the new E wagon will come out in 2003 with the new sedan? Mark
  • daveb58daveb58 Member Posts: 1
    I've read more than once in the past year that M/B was to offer a V8 in the "E" wagon. Does anyone know anything about this? Dealers seem to know nothing about it. Daveb
    hello dave --
    the rest of the world has always enjoyed the power of a v8 in their mb wagons. even an amg e55 wagon! my dealer said mb does not plan to sell it in america because of the lack of interest. suvs seems to be the trend here. brabus (www.brabus.com), a well-known tuner in europe (bigger than amg), can shoe-horn a v8 into an e320 wagon. they have just open a 'garage' in california. good luck -edward
    i am looking for the new style amg bodykit for my 2000 wagon (just love the twist ribbon sideskirts). it would be a chore to get the '00 euro amg e55 wagon bodykit directly from germany since my dealer doesn't seem to know much (can't believe the dealer doesn't even know there's an amg wagon out there!). does anyone know if the sideskirts and the front valance of the '00 e430 sport package or '01 e320/e430 sport package would fit on my '00 e320 wagon? it would seem so since they share the same length (wheel well to wheel well) and width. much help would be appreciated. --ed
  • harleybobharleybob Member Posts: 2
    Like a few others noted here, I'm considering the purchase of a 2001 E320 Wagon. My questions include:

1. Does the "Command" system really work for providing driving directions and is it easy to use?
    2. Does MB offer a roof luggage carrier for this car?
    3. I sat in a new 2000 and found the seats to feel a little hard. Are they comfortable for long-distance driving?

Many thanks.
    hello harleybob --
    the command system is difficult to use. one has to thoroughly read to owner's manual but once mastered, it is very nice to have.
    mb dealer does offer a lugguage carrier for the e-wagon but it is expensive. just ask the dealer for the accesories catalogue. but you're better off getting it from yakima or thule.
    and the seats seem hard but are comfortable in long trips. i drove from dc to detroit in 11-12 hrs and had no problem. my wagon is very quiet at high speed and alot better than my trade-in lexus rx300. although my lexus looked nicer.
    good luck with the purchase.
  • hhm1644hhm1644 Member Posts: 13
    Can anyone suggest alternatives to the classifieds for finding a super nice, low mileage E320 wagon with all the options, like leather, htd seats and traction? I'd love a starmarked car, but finding one without tex is hard enough, much less with those other options.

Thanks in advance.
  • bobs5bobs5 Member Posts: 557
    I suppose you could try some of the online search engines as found in Edmunds or www.cars.com.

http://marketplace.edmunds.com/marketplace/index.html
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Anyone with history on 4-matic e wagons?

Would like to trade my ML when 02 e's are announced.
  • jwbontjwbont Member Posts: 2
    Since I'm one of those gear geeks that likes to work on my own car, I called the Mercedes 800 numbers to see if a workshop manual was available for my 2001 E320. Imagine my surprise when I was told that it would not be available for another 5 years (this time to correspond with the warranty period during which all expenses were to be paid, so she said). Moreover the factory rep implied that I shouldn't work on my own car as it was too complicated and intended for authorized persons only.

I also own a 1988 BMW 735. It has 160,000 miles on it and with rare exception, hasn't been touched by anyone other than myself. Even if the E320 needs zero maintenance, I want to know about the internal workings.

Can anyone out there shed any light on the availability of a workshop manual?
  • jjmcgjjmcg Member Posts: 2
    While my 2000 e320 4-matic wagon is a truly impressive vehicle, I am seriously looking at a BOW 540 with sports package which has more muscle.

Before I do, if anyone has suggestions for tweaking the handling/performance of the e320 wagon (AMG?) do let me know. If not I will sell it.
  • jwbontjwbont Member Posts: 2
    faced the same decision that you are. I decided to select the 2001 320E for the following reasons:
    1. The MB was not that less powerful. If you want a wagon with real performance, look at the Volvo T5 with 5-speed box. Real fast.
    2. The MB was 49K$ as opposed to 54K.
    3. For overall similar size and weight, the BMW has an appalling lack of carrying room compared to the MB, the Volvo, and even the Saturn L wagon.
    4. The BWM is a gas hog.
    5. Most importantly, the wagon ergonomics for the MB is clearly at the head of the pack.
  • dmalleydmalley Member Posts: 1
    I own a 91 4-Matic wagon with 57k. The car has been terrific and I am enjoying it as much as any car I've owned. Is anyone aware of problems with the early 4-Matics? I've heard that two types of differental fluid was used in these models and when the seal/gasket between the two goes, it causes a failure and the differental has to be replaced. This was supposedly corrected in later models. Any thoughts or comments?
    Thanks,
    dmalley
  • taratara Member Posts: 30
    Hello! I just wanted to introduce myself, my name is Tara and I've just started working for Edmunds.com. I'll be your new host for Station Wagons:)
    john --

consider an engine makeover? try www.renntechmercdes.com .. they have experience on tunning mercedes since the owner worked for amg in the past.

enz wagon has more room than the bmw's ... also the 4 wheel drive can't be beat

last resort, if you can import one ... spring for an amg wagon :-)

http://msnhomepages.talkcity.com/BondSt/thegeneraltso/amg.html

good luck

• mojojojo1mojojojo1 Member Posts: 6
    After going through the alternatives, I will be buying a new E320 Wagon with 4-matic. I live in NY, and from the forums and sniffing around it looks like the going rate is basically the list price with no discount (or premium). Am I correct in this ?

A dealer offered me a floor model which "a customer had ordered but did not want", and I think there were 17 miles on the clock. He offered to give me the CD changer free, which I think he would not do on another stock car. It wasn't the color my wife wanted, so it was a no-go, but I feel I'm "missing something" on why he would offer the free CD on one car and not another - can someone tell me what it may be ?

I looked at European Delivery, but it doesn't seem particularly worthwhile. If I'm missing something, please tell me.

Also, at this point, is it worth waiting for 2002 model year, which presumably will start coming in this summer/fall - are there any significant differences in price/spec ? (I read the re design would not be out till 2003 model year).

If I can get this info elsewhere in the Town Hall, please point me, and thanks in advance for your help.
    david --
    don't let the salesman scare you off ... all prices are negotiable especially on wagons. they don't sell many of them. when we purchase our '00 4-matic wagon, i did the research and gave them $5000.00 under invoice, he came back with $3000.00 under invoice. at that time, the price was still pretty good but i wanted more. i accepted the offer but also wanted a cd changer and a roof rack. i told them a car this expensive should have a built-in cd changer! he gave me the go-around that the benz clientele overwhelmingly listens to tapes because of the book-on-tape deal. however, they accepted and now i have a 4-matic with almost every option except for the nav system.
    good luck
    Ed, thanks for the encouragement on dealing with the dealers.

Anyone else manage to get a good discount recently ? Ed's experience runs contrary to what friends who have dealt with Mercedes dealers recently have said, and what one of the town halls from a while ago said, that they were basically sticking to invoice, but obviously I'll have the numbers and try anyway.

Anyone got any comments on whether it is worth waiting for the 2002 models, or if European Delivery is worthwhile ?

Thanks again.
    Sorry, instead of sticking to invoice price, I should have said the dealers are sticking to MSRP (a lot of difference)
  • l943973l943973 Member Posts: 197
    Does anyone know when the C-Class wagon is coming out? I'm wanted to purchase a E-Class wagon for my wife on her birthday, but I've been researching the C-Class and noticed that there are more options in the new generation C-Class than in the current generation E-Class (i.e. 3-memory driver seat vs. 3-memory for driver and passenger. 1 sun sensor vs. 4 sun sensors). I'm sure the next generation E-Class will have all the new features but for now, the C-class has more features. I did the comparison on the Mercedes website and cross compared each feature. The E has one or 2 more distinctive features, but the C has much more.

The C could use more space, but she already has an SUV for that.

any info would be appreciated. thanks.
  • veeikleveeikle Member Posts: 13
    after spending the past couple of months in the town hall chat room. It has become quite evident to me that many people either do not know how to negotiate with a car dealer or just feel uncomfortable with it. Therefore, I hereby offer my services in negotiations (for free)in buying or leasing a car to anyone in the townhall chatroom................
    My credentials..20 years in my own business as a clothing manufacturer...and in that same time buying or leasing no less than 20 cars!!...for myself ,wife and two kids...oh yes..and mother-in-law...my E mail is ( alaneppy@aol.com ) good hunting!
  • nelly33nelly33 Member Posts: 3
    I am new to Edmunds. I have been looking for a new wagon over the past several months. I have on order and due to arrive a E320 4Matic Wagon due in the next couple of weeks. As far as the negotiating goes, I too was told that these cars sell at MSRP, I then scouted around and found that I could get one for less from online car dealer
    I went back to the dealer ( whom we had either leased or bought 3 other cars before) and after much discussion he agreed to knock off $1,400. I am now considering purchasing the Audio All road instead. The car comes with more standard options and seems to have the same safety features. Audio has a better Maintenance contract, 4 years/50000 miles which includes wiper blades and brake pads. I am concerned because my 98 Audio A6 Wagon needed a lot of repairs (albeit they were free) but they were an inconvenience. The long and the short of my question is-Is the E320 worth the approximate 10k more?
  • stephanpstephanp Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had any luck installing an after-market phone into the integrated Mercedes Audio system. When I bought my 1999 E320 Wagon I opted to not purchase the phone due to the excessive cost and service fees. I would like to know if I have any options (outside of the dealer) for linking my existing digital phone into the E320.

--stephan
    stephanp@iwon.com
  • rockypaulrockypaul Member Posts: 104
    Purchased a new 99 ML320 for $26k including tax and all options for that year - no nab system.
    This included trade-in allowance for a 95 Avalon, 4 years old. Sticker on ML was $41,500.
    I find negotiating for high end cars to be fun with quality trade-ins.

My 2001 BMW 525 at sport wagon is a great wagon/sports car. Like the BB 320 the 525 six has enough power for my taste.

Lastly, my 2000 Subaru Outback Lad is also a great wagon and does all things well.

So, therefore it follows that I must order a 2003 E320 4matic as my next wagon. My dealer says order taking will commence in spring 2002. Who knows.

Wagons rule!!!
  • markobodormarkobodor Member Posts: 17
    Do any of you have 4-matics? I test drove them side by side and loved the handling of both of the wagons - they have 50/50 wt distribution just like my Porsche 944. It seemed to me however that when I drove the E320 4-matic wagon I could hear the engine working harder or perhaps it was the transmission up front. Any comments on this? It seemed like there was additional drag on the system. Do the 320 4-matics handle anything like the audi quattros in the curves? Does the AWD pull you around corners like it seems to in the quattros? Are there any dry land handling advantages. I go to the snow quite a bit, but manage quite well with snow-tires. Also, if generaltso is reading this, did you get your car for $3000 below invoice or below MSRP? (You stated invoice above.)
    I see so many people saying that their dealer wants to sell at sticker price...95% 0f the time thats just nonsense...unless the car is a hot new model which has'nt gotten up to production speed..or the car company continues intentional hype...you should be able to get 4-6% off sticker on luxury cars or wagons...if you can't.. contact me and i'll negotiate for you!!
    anytime,
    alaneppy@aol.com
  • markobodormarkobodor Member Posts: 17
    Hello out there, "thegeneraltso", I am looking for you. Did you get your e320 at $3000 below MSRP or $3000 below invoice? I would really like to know because I am about to start negotiating with dealers, etc. If the host sees this, could you please e-mail "thegeneraltso" and ask him if he would be so kind as to provide me with this information. It will be for a good cause because some of the money saved will go to charity. Sincerely yours, mbodor@pacbell.net
  • nelly33nelly33 Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a Mercedes Benz E320 4Matic. I got the car for $1,400.00 below sticker. Although this was not as good as previous posts, at least it was below MSRP. When I first ordered the car, the salesman explained to me ( and take this for what it is worth) that the margins on Mercedes cars were lower than the rest of the industry and that they did not subsidize their leases like Audi. He said he might be able to get me $300 to $400 off the car. It took 3 1/2 months for the car to come in. During this time I went on the internet to research prices. Most often the price came up close to sticker($50.00). However, Greenlight.com. had a car for $1,800. under sticker. The car had everything that I had ordered except heated seats(E1,E2,leather, metallic paint and heated seats). This particular car was located approximately four hours from where I lived, and if I wanted it delivered there would be an additional cost. When I called the salesman and told him that I had done better on the internet than he had expected, he enumerated the benefits of buying a car from a local dealership where you intended it to be serviced. This argument waged by the dealer was probably more persuasive than he realized. My previous car was a 1998 Audi Quattro, and although I loved the car, it ended up in need of repairs far more often than I could ever have imagined. I had leased the car from a dealership an hour away, but had gotten a better price than I could locally. Although, all the repairs were covered by Audi, a couple of times, I was left without the car for 5 days or more. Dealerships give priority to the customers that have bought/leased a car from them. Furthermore, the salesman argued that most people in the northeast want heated seats and that the car on green light was probably ordered to a customer's specifications and then he/she decided not to get it. I ended up with the $1,400 below sticker because I too spoke of how we had previously done business with the local dealership (2 Mercedes and 1 BMW and that this too needed to be taken into consideration).

As far as comparison with the Audi, I did not test drive the 2001 Quattro Wagon, because I was so displeased with all the extra servicing that my 98 had required. This could have been bad luck, but 1 tech told me that the Audi's were back for service far more often than the BMW's or Mercedes at this particular dealership. I love the way my E320 handles. The Audi did great in the snow and I'm hoping the E320 does the same. As for noise, there may be more engine noise, but the overall ride is not as noisy in comparison to the Audi- the heat/air was very loud as was the noise from the exterior and sunroof.

Good luck to you!!!!!
  • rablakerablake Member Posts: 16
    Does anyone have any wisdom regarding manufacturing and delivery of '01 E320 4matic Wagons ? I ordered mine October 13, 2000 and was given an approximate delivery of the beginning of 2001. Since February 8 it has been coded "99" which supposedly means "produced, waiting for shipment". The latest listing still has the auto sitting on a wharf or parking lot somewhere. What is the MBZ process for moving cars to the States ? How long does it take to get cars to California after the start sailing ? Starting to wonder if they only have one ship going back and forth :-)
    Thanks for any info.
    Richard
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...but, I'm here to announce the new club now available on Edmunds.com Owner's Club board. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.

I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Wagons.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
  • braguybraguy Member Posts: 1
    Started with a 190, then a 240, then a 320 and now a 320EWagon. We get bored every two years so we trade in or sell our MB for a newer demo. Thought about a BMW wagon for a change but think I like the MB. Anyone want a perfect 99wagon?
  • mchwemchwe Member Posts: 23
    planning on getting volvo v70 t5 2001, but also interested in late e320 wagon. how many miles, what is interior color, and does it have side head protection curtain?

thanks! feel free to email me directly mchwe@dbtech.net

myron
    I just leased a 98 merc 4matic wagon..it has a factory installed phone...the phone is analog not digital...does anyone know if I can update this phone to digital..thanks.. Veeikle
  • rainmaker1rainmaker1 Member Posts: 1
    Which is the better value in the long haul? Price does not matter, value does. Thanks...
  • albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    These are two completely different vehicles, and two significantly different price points and technologies. If price is not an issue, then the E-Class Wagon is the better value, if only because it holds it's value better, over time. That being said, if you drive the two, you will see that there is no comparison...the MB is in a different class, as it is meant to be.
  • scrapper2scrapper2 Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in a 99 E20 4matic wagon with leather seats, moonroof, heated seats, xenon headlights and cd player. Asking price is 49,995. It only has 8500 miles. What kind of leverage can I use to get the dealer to come down on price? Or is this a good price? I've never been to this dealer before.
    i am sorry marko ... i was having problem getting onto the net the last month. computer crashed (those emachines). anyway it probably is too late to give anymore advice but i got mine 3000 under invoice. it was a dealer in arlington va. he was very nice and a couple of weeks after i asked if they sell many wagons. he said the sedan is a hotter sale. and the ml is even hotter. from looking at his lot he has about 10 wagons and tons of sedans. maybe this was the reason for getting a great deal.
  • mersonmerson Member Posts: 7
    Does anyone know when the new e-class wagon will be released in the US? The MBSpy page is down so I don't have pictures or release dates.