Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    I have posted previous message about vibration.
    This weekend I have replaced all 4 tires for the new Michelin destiny.
    Now the minivan rides as a dream. I could not believe that tires can make so big difference.
    I started to like this minivan.
  • alexhm3alexhm3 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 1997 Montana EXT in 1998. This vehicle is loaded and everything is still working after 146,000 kms (88,000 mi) This has been one great van.

It has excellent traction in these Canadian winters. I also have experienced the occasional smell of anti-freeze/coolant in the winter but have learned to ignore it. Seems to come from the heater core.

There is nothing I don't like about this vehicle.

I will buy another
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I own a Montana 2002 and so since over a year. Not one single problem, never returned to the garage with it.

One thing bother me , the rear washer, that nozzle spray not even above the wiper blade, it is virtually impossible for me to wash my rear window with it, it is the same with you ?

I waste lots of windshield washer fluid if I want to have the window really clean, if I can !
  • bcd99bcd99 Member Posts: 45
    I have the same problem with my 2001 Silo. Forgot to mention it to the dealer when I had it in last time for replacement of the rear door shocks. They didn't lift the door in cold weather, new ones are not much better. Everything else is good though, no gasket leak, yet.
  • mustang65bobmustang65bob Member Posts: 1
    We have a 99 Montana. Everything works great and we enjoy this van a lot. We have one bug that the dealer has been unable to solve. From time to time, the driver's door will lock all by itself. None of the other doors will lock. It often happens in our garage, but in other places as well.

Has anyone else had this problem, and if so, how was it solved.

Thanks in advance,

Bob
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My Venture doesn't do this, but my Firebird used to when either the weather was very damp or some rain actually got on the switch.
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    the first couple weeks we had our '01 silo that happened a couple times...van mysteriously locked itself. After it happened to my wife, I didn't believe her, but I went to the store a couple days later, 100% sure door wasn't locked when I ran in, came back out & sure enough, it was locked. Odd. That was several months back, hasn't happened since (?) I got one of those magnetic key holders and put it in a hidden spot under van but haven't needed it (I'm sure we won't need it until I'm in slush or mud, lol)
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    Sometimes the fob in your pocket/purse will get one of the buttons pushed by some other key and it will set off the locking mech., although that's usually all doors.

DD
    This morning I have notices that my windshield washer arms stop in vertical position on both sides of the windshield when. I have tried to move them to the right position manually, but after certain point they resist and return back.
    Just though may be somebody had something similar.
    Is that possible that it happened because of cold?
  • rayjs1rayjs1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,new to board, great info here. I too was told I have an intake manifold leaking coolant. Local mechanic said 7 hours labor. Is that about right? It looks like a big job to me. Anybody else have this problem? Also, rear window wiper motor needs to be replaced again, 2nd one in two years.Anyone else have this problem? Thanks, Ray
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    I got a '97 Pontiac Transport with 63k miles .. has anyone noticed a loud fuel pump - loud as in
    loud hum/buzz noise coming from the back of the van.

It been getting increasingly louder ... anybody
    else experience this ?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I'm no mechanic but it sure sounds like the pump is dying.

Steve, Host
  • pmk63366pmk63366 Member Posts: 5
    Recently 2000 Montana seems to lose power steering when I turn to the LEFT. Only the left. Dealer can't get me in for a few weeks? Anyone else experience this, if so, what was the problem?
    thanks.
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    Steering is a safety issue. If your dealer can't get you in for that long, call another. Or even a Chevrolet or Oldsmobile dealer, as their vans are the same. Can't remember seeing anyone post this problem, and my brothers (1997&2001) haven't had anything like it. Get it checked out and post back any info.
    My wife transport is in the shop for a recall ..
    I don't have the notice since we had to give it
    to dealer but it had to do with turning left and
    losing power .. I really think you should find out if this is symptoms of the recall .. we got
    ours in the mail approx. 1 month ago.

I remember reading that symptoms are when turning left you lose power thus the recall .. Call Pontiac to confirm the recall ...
    General Motors to recall 1.5 million vehicles

Friday November 15 9:15 AM EST

Detroit, Michigan - General Motors is recalling about 1.5 million model year 1996-00 Chevrolet Cavalier and Pontiac Sunfire cars, Chevrolet Lumina/Venture, Oldsmobile Silhouette, and Pontiac Transport minivans, and Pontiac Grand Prix cars to repair a lower pinion bearing condition in the power steering gear assembly. Of the total, about 240,000 are in Canada and 1.2 million of them are in the U.S. The vehicles were built between January 1, 1996 and October 31,

In some of these vehicles, the lower pinion bearing in the power steering gear may separate, permitting movement of the pinion shaft. Most reports indicate the driver experienced an intermittent loss of power steering assist when making left turns, usually at low speeds. If the pinion shaft moves too far, some drivers could experience higher resistance when turning left followed by unintended power assist to the right. There have been 15 reports of crashes and three injuries that may be related to the condition, but no fatal injuries.

Beginning in January, GM will notify owners of the affected vehicles, instructing them to bring them into their Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, and Pontiac dealers. Dealers will install a new lower pinion bearing or, if necessary, replace the steering gear assembly. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the customers.
    Balich--Thank you Thank you Thank You--I called dealer and they are getting me in Monday.
    If you could get any more info on the recall, I would appreciate it, they are still telling me my vehicle is not affected. Obviously it is. Again, thanks for the great help.
    Actually your info is incorrect years are 1996-1998.
    http://media.gm.com/news/releases/021114_recall.html so pmk63366's Montana is not covered.
    I have sent an email to the names on the lower pinion bulletin, I will advise of my reply from GM once I receive it. Thanks for the info.
    The email addresses are for PR people. That is a press release / media site. Thay are not technical people. Your van is not covered, it is a 2000 you posted. Recall is for 1996 (old style) and 1997 & (some) 1998 (new style) vans.
    So if my van is truly not in the recall, Am I just stuck for the repair bill? It would seem that this is a known problem for this type of vehicle. Any suggestions?
    Simple answer--yes. You didn't post where you stand in regards to the 36/36 warranty, but I have to assume you are over time or mileage.

First, you have to wait until monday to have the cause figured out. It may not even be simular to the recall.

My brother's 1997 is involved in the recall, so we have some info. Before the recall came out, the steering racks would have to be replaced if the bearing failed. For the recall GM came up with replacement parts, new tools, and a service procedure to replace the bearing. So, if your problem IS the same, the cost will be much less then it would have been a couple months ago. My brothers repair order showed something like $7 for parts and around 2+ hours labor.

So you will have to wait and see, and then see if the dealer can get any assistance in the repair cost from Pontiac. And whatever happens save the orig copy of the RO, proof of payment, and copy of your reg to prove ownership. These are the things that would be required for reimbursement if a recall ever happens that includes your year. Post back and keep the board updated.
  • denjonesdenjones Member Posts: 7
    I just purchased a 2000 Montana from a local dealer who promised the vehicle had been GM certified. We picked it up Saturday afternoon and the heater blower quit after about 30 minutes. Monday morning I took the vehicle in and they replaced the blower. Wednesday I took the van in again because the heater temperature would drop when coming to a stop. They said there was a leak in the intake manifold and fixed that problem. Saturday on my way to work I believe the same problem existed with the heater temperature dropping when coming to an idle. At lunch I noticed a hose to the thermostat had fallen off and antifreeze was leaking. They put the hose back on and refilled the fluids but it seems like when I come to a stop the temperature blowing from the heater isn't a warm as when I'm driving. Is that normal or should I be alarmed?

Thanks in advance.

Denny
  • carrottopcarrottop Member Posts: 1
    #1 of 2 Key stuck in Montana ignition by carrottop Mar 05, 2003 (12:28 pm)
    Has this happened to anyone else? It I tilt the steering wheel up before shutting off the ignition, the key will often be impossible to pull out. This only seems to happen if the tilt is anywhere but fully down. I need to start the car again, sometimes move the gear shift and move the tilt down in order to get the key out - sometimes having to do this several times. Very frustrating. I don't think this is isolated to Montana as this happened when I drove my mother's LeSabre. I find if I leave the tilt down I can get the key out without a problem but once it happens, I have to do lots of shenanigans to retrieve my key. The dealer couldn't figure it out and just lubricated the ignition.
    Not to bad mouth GM or anything .. These Montana's/Transport are cheaply made and are
    priced accordingly .. When you buy a GM - you
    are basically getting for what you paid for ...

You probably purchased this minivan because it
    was inexpensive for the model year compared to
    a Foreign competitor ..

I know alot of you will dispute this but folks
    YOU GET FOR WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

I own a Montana and its a cheaply made vehicle ...
    and all Montana owners have problems as you
    can witness .. you have two options pay the piper
    or trade it in for a better quality vehicle ...

I had a hard time coming to peace with this but
    I now truely believe it .. Hope this helps ..
    I know this one, have brothers with 1997 and 2001 Montanas. At idle, the water flow through the heater is reduced and the temps go down. In 2000 GM added an additional coolant pump (electric I think) to the vans to increase flow at idle. You should be able to see this unit on your heater hoses under the hood. It is possbile this unit isn't working. (Assuming enough coolant, no air bubbles, temp doors in dash ok, and heater core not clogged.) It is also possible that you might be too sensitive to the temp difference.
    Montanafan,

Thanks for the reply. I couldn't locate the additional coolant pump you were referring to but today my wife got roasted out when I ran the heater during some errands. I may be too sensitive to the condition. I tend to run on the cold side and wish for 75º even in the dead of winter! Ask me why I live in Michigan?!!??! I've left the same question with The Car Show which airs on WJR in Detroit. I'll post their reply.

Thanks again.

Denny
    Know where you are at. My wife and I inhabit two different tempature zones also.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    "I own a Montana and its a cheaply made vehicle ...and all Montana owners have problems as you can witness"

That's a pretty bold statement that all Montana owners have problems. You must assume every owner posts here and has problems. I would argue that.

I have a 2001 Montana with 30,000 miles on it and have had only a few issues addressed and both were related to rattles that the dealer fixed. Other than that it has been a good vehicle for our family.
    Here's the reply I received directly from Pontiac. FYI.

Thank you for contacting the Customer Assistance Center regarding your newly purchased 2000 Pontiac Montana. We are sorry that you are experiencing concerns with your vehicles cooling system.

We have contacted the service manager at Jim Waldron on your behalf. The dealer states that some variation in the temperature is normal upon coming to a stop. We may suggest that you check the coolant levels in your vehicle to ensure that the coolant is not low. If you are still experiencing a concern, you should refer to your dealership to have your vehicle inspected. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may cause you.

If you should need to contact us in the future, simply reply to this message or call our Pontiac Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-762-2737. Customer Relationship Managers are available Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m., Eastern Time.

I guess it's normal and I may be too sensitive to the change in temperature.

Thanks for listening.

Denny
    I knew from owning GM cars in the past that the van was not going to be Lexus quality on interior seats, switch gear and trim, exterior trim.

But I also knew from reading these boards that this van was going to be reliable, get great fuel milage, fit full sized american type bodies comfortably, and have adequate AC/Heat - something that imports are typically lacking.

My research proved to be 100% accurate in my case, our van has been a workhorse and gets 23 mpg even in heavy traffic driving.

Hondas have had a lot of transmission problems, are not as comfortable, pull to the right, are loud, etc. DC/Ford each have their own reliability problems. Toyota v6's get hot and sludge the oil up, causing engine failure. None of the makes are flawless. I'll take a coolant leak that can be fixed for <$1000 than getting stranded and needing a tow for a $2000 transmission job that is only temporary fix.

You make an educated bet with vehicles and sometimes you get a winner and sometimes you get a bit of a lemon.

Yea, GM interiors are weak in terms of refinement compared to competition, but overall these are decent vans.

The new v6 coming out 2004 models is supposed to be world class, although we've heard that from GM before, but it will be interesting to watch.

DD
    I have recently add almost half a gallon of oil after 2500 miles. I have heard that this type of engine consumes oil.
    Does somebody has some info about this?
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    Is that half a quart (pint) or really half a gallon (2 quarts) in 2500 miles?
    1/2 quart is nominal for 2500 miles, that's well within "normal" range. Is it really at "add" or just below 1/2 way in the range of "full"? Did you check it when it was just changed? I hear the quickie places are not adding 100% of what you normally would add to save money. Also, dripping a little is not as bad as burning it, emissions speaking.

Dd
  • irvkirvk Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montana and the brake lights stopped working. I have checked several postings but nobody with the same problem. I checked for power to the connector going to the left side and have 12 vdc OK . The problem seems to be in the Assembly with all of the bulbs. If anyone has had similar problems I would like to know what can be done. Thanks Irv
  • mwatsonpvecmwatsonpvec Member Posts: 1
    What is the best (and cheapest) way to transport 4 bicycles on a Pontiac Montana? Mine is a 2000 model with roof cargo rack.
  • wlarsenwlarsen Member Posts: 3
    We bought an 02 Montana about 6 months ago. We also had a problem with the door locks. The drivers door would lock and unlock all by itself as we were driving. What they told me was a pinched wire in the dash. This took about three days to figure out, but it has not done it sense. I am extremely happy with this van. We still have a 92 Olds Silhouette, which is the best vehicle we have ever owned. Anyone have any comments on the General Tires which came on the van?
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    They were especially bad in the rain, prone to hydroplane. We replaced them with Aquatred 3s. The Goodyears are noisier but the handling has greatly improved. We have been very fortunate with our Y2K Montana. We are pushing 70K miles and have only had some minor fit and finish issues. Oh, the shocks need replacing but that's about it so far.

Phil
    I have yet to do this with my van, but I have a Thule rack I used on a Shadow and with a pickup. Its is not cheap, but you can find parts on Ebay.

4 bikes is lot of wind load and what not, I would not use the stock rack, I doubt it would hold that many. If you took off the pedals and put some padding down, you could lay them flat if the bikes are not really good ones you care about.

Yakima (spelling?) also makes a great rack.

another option if you bike a lot is to get a 2" square trailer hitch installed and use a swing-away bike hitch rack. This is the easiest to load and most aero, but you can't use it for canoes cargo boxes and other stuff like you can with the thule or Yakama.

see those two brands websites for more info, or performance bike, nashbar, etc.

DD
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I use one rack for 3 bikes mounted on the tailgate, and 1 bike inside ,
    I previously posted about problems turning to left in my 2000 Montana, dealer how has in shop and says the problem is "power steering short rack" cost $580.00 for parts, plus $600.00 labor.
    $1100.00 to fix a car with 47xxx miles on it. I find this sickening. Anyone have any ideas here on how to get GM to help me fix this. It is ironic that is "does not fit any recalls" yet it is the same symptoms as a recall for 96-98 models. Any ideas welcome before I have to pick up this vehicle.
  • jujumanjujuman Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montana. The battery was drained yesterday when the lights were left on. I jumped the battery and got it started. Now the power sliding door doesn't work. Is there a connection between the two? If so, does anyone know how to correct this?

Thanks,

Dave
    The Power Sliding Door need to be reinitialized. It involves something to do will a fuse under the hood. Check your owners manual, it is in there. Kinda like rebooting your computer.
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    i use to own a montana,traded in on a rodeo.don't you montana owners hate the way GM do their commercials about this van.the way they deceive you into believing this is a safe van. they flash the 5 stars across the screen so fast.this is the worst van for offset frontal crashes.don't let the 5 stars fool you,or did they,i like the kia commercial that's a safe van.if you have kids and are concerned about their safty and yours think twice....boy i'm mad,they'll spend tons of money deceiving potencial custommers on commercials instead of fixing their vans.well i don't own this van anymore but i still see those commercials and it makes me mad.oh and i spent half my time in the garage with it too!!
    Manufacturers advertise "5 Stars" when they earn them in testing done by the US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov ). This testing required by US federal law has nothing to do with the offset testing done by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety http://www.iihs.org ) formed by Insurance Companies. The GM vans have earned "5 stars" on some of NHTSA tests at times during the years since their introduction. A Pontiac TransSport was tested in the Fall of 1996 by the IIHS and given their worse rating.
     Someone thinking about safety , may be interested in the annual "Injury, Collison, & Theft Losses" study done by the Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI)(Available at http://www.iihs.org under the publications listing). US Federal law requires a summary of the results to be available at all dealers. The HLDI is closely associated with and funded through the IIHS. They rate compare the real world losses for vehicles in relative terms, most recently for 1999-2001 models. For "Injury" they rate the Montana "substantially better then average" (15% better then group average) and second best for mini-vans behind its sister the Oldsmobile Silhouette. As an comparison, the 2WD Isuzu Rodeo is second to last of the 18 mid-size utility vehicles 22% worse then the group average. Of 25 mid-size 4WD utility vehicles, 5 scored worse then the Rodeo which was 19% worse then the group average.

I am sorry your had bad service experiences with your Montana. Enjoy the Rodeo and the coming spring time.
    you say they earn 5 stars with nhtsa,and can advertise this.have a look at this site,only toyota,mazda,kia,ford,honda and nissan are full of 5 stars,WOW montana has one (1)5 STAR,impact to the passanger side,the rest of the group you're talking about is the rest of the GM line-up...and the other site you mention iihs ,well montana is full of red (poor)results.by the way montana/transport was redesigned in 1997.1996 is the long nose van,nothing to do with this conversation.as far as my rodeo ,i use it to reach out of the way fishing spots,my family drives in our other car a focus(full of 5 stars).i still say they shouldn't use their 1-5 star rating in their commercials,it's deceiving.anyway make sure the most important person in your life sits in the front passanger side and you have a great summer.
    I think I got it correct. I said the vans received "5 stars" in SOME test at different TIMES since their redesign. The TransSpot was redesigned for the 1997 MODEL year, appearing on Dealer lots in September of 1996 and used in the IIHS test of November 1996. I also acknowledged those tests as getting the worst rating. My main point was that thay also say the vans have the lowest accident injury rating in the real world (Montana/Silhoutte). I also understand a Rodeo is not a minivan, and assumed there was more to your purhase decission. I agree with you on the advertsing angle, somewhat. In general, I believe the star system over simplifies a complex situation. My point was if earned, they can be advertised. I do not think GM (on the Vans) pushes the stars as much as other manufacturers. All advertsing is misleading in that it only points out the best features in its limited time/space. But with available research people can find information that shows a bigger picture, as you did. And don't right off the spring, I sure there will be lots of great fishing before summer.
    i just seen another GM comercial about the rendezvous-5 stars,ya right..we should open up a new forum about false or maybe decieving advertising.i'd like to hear if their are other people out there who are just as mad as i am about this.they flash small writings at the end of the comercials to explain the 5 star rating but who can read that.i still like the Kia comercial, at less they earned it.
  • bengineer1bengineer1 Member Posts: 5
    My front, passenger turn signal on a 98 Pontiac Transsport is not operating properly. I'm thinking that the relay failed. Based on the clicking noise, it sounds like the failed relay is under the dash board/steering column. Can anyone tell me which module I need to replace (I can't see any nameplates/clues to know which one is the turn signal relay)? Also is this easy to do?
    just seen an accident between a montana and a camry.i'll bet you the guy in the montana wished the 5 stars were really true,if he's still alive.it didn't look too good.they were still trying to get him out when i left.the lady in the camry was sitting in the police car .she looked very nervous but alright.