Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• bkjohnsonbkjohnson Member Posts: 17
    We are in the market for a used minivan. We were considering a Transport/Montana, but now I'm not so sure after reading several pages of this board. For those of you that bought used or even new, would you recommend this minivan?

Right now, our choices for used minivan have been narrowed down to the Chevy Venture and Pontiac Montana. The Dodge minivans are everywhere, though after owning a Dodge a few years ago, I'm not sure I want to own a Chrysler again. Foreign minivans are out - too expensive and husband would kill me.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    We have a 2001 Extended Montana w/ 29000+ miles and are very happy with it. We love the dual power sliding doors and it suits us very well with two small children. We have had it in a few times for rattles and such but no major mechanicals.
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    i had a transport 1998 with the montana package.power sliding side door,second row captain chairs,separate rear stereo system,self leveling suspension,air shocks,a/c,power this &that,aluminum rims,cruise,tilt,alarm,cd player,ect.ect.it all sounds nice ,right? well it was THE worst vehicle i have ever owned.i don't know if it was a monday morning or friday afternoon van on the assembly line.the heart of the van,the engine&transmission,were terrible.at 40,000km it developed a marble like sound in the motor only in the morning,it was quite loud.i found out there was a service bulletin only sent to the dealers.because it was not safety related it was not a recall.only customers that complained about that noise would get it fixed.it involved replacing the pistons and connecting rods.apparently some parts were over sized,some were under sized and the noise i heard was piston slap.ever since then the engine had other major problems.some of the push rods were bent(yes this engine is an old push rod type),the lifters needed replacing,some of the fuel injecters wore out.the tranny also needed repairs .the power sliding door had to be repaired no less than 15 times(after that i switched off the power to that door and we never used it again)the brakes wore out way too early,some front end parts gave up too.then the safety record of this van compared to other vans.i have two kids and when i found out about the safety of this van coupled with all the problems i've had since day one,i traded it in. i lost alot of money on it but i lost all the problems too.my blood pressures back to normal.i bought japanese,it's a little more but you get what you pay for.it's amazing the difference in build quality .have a good look at any japanese vehicle again.look at the ratings in any magazines,the top cars are all foriegn.don't be fooled they still use the same engine/tranny combination in all their montana's
  • scozimscozim Member Posts: 10
    We purchased a used 2000 Montana 2 1/2 weeks ago. So far we're completely happy, especially with the mpg. My wife is averaging about 25 of mostly highway driving which is better than our Outback. We looked at all the vans out there and like you the Japanese makes were out of our price range. The Windstars and the Dodge's had too many drivetrain problems as far as I was concerned. For the most part my biggest concern was the leaking gaskets on the GM vans. Despite that We narrowed it down to the Venture/Montana.

Our search was at least a month to find the right one at a really good price. The dealership replaced a coolant sensor and bad window switch and also recoded a key for us that wouldn't work. For piece of mind we bought an extended warranty up to 100,000 miles.

Bottom line is we are extremely happy as are the kids. And, the mute button on the steering wheel for the stereo comes in handy when the kids are being a challenge.
  • owenm1owenm1 Member Posts: 29
    Anyone have the roof rack weight capacities?

Any failures?

Thanks!
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    The roof rack weight limit is 125 pounds. I've had probably close to a 100 pounds in a car top carrier with no problems.
  • denjonesdenjones Member Posts: 7
    I tried searching this forum for day time running lights and it came up empty so I'll ask my question. My 2000 Montana is suppose to be equipped with day time running lights but the head lights don't come on unless it's dark. The only lights that come on are the parking lights. Is this normal? In my 2000 Blazer, the head lights came on unless the vehicle was in park.
  • inuvikinuvik Member Posts: 163
    My 2002 Montana is the same way. The front parking lights are the DRL's. If I want to run with something more than the park lights I'll turn the fog lights on and turn the light switch to the park position. The fog lights will come on without the headlights.
  • artgpoartgpo Member Posts: 483
    The GM Triplet Vans have the parking/turn signal lights as their DRL.
  • denjonesdenjones Member Posts: 7
  • pop88pop88 Member Posts: 13
    The Montana has their park lights(signals) as their driving lights. But be careful because soon one of the lights will blowout and you would think it was a shortige but it just needs a bulb. you would know if you turn on your signal lights and they start going fast when you turn it on. Your clock might go out too.
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    Anybody out there with a Pontiac Transport with
    a loud fuel pump ... We hear a loud humming noise
    and it was determined to be the fuel pump .. I hear the part is very expensive and the gas tank
    needs to be removed .. if anybody has had one
    replaced .. what did you pay for the fuel pump
    to be replaced ?

The van has 65000 miles on it.
  • aralpharalph Member Posts: 1
    Your flasher relay canshould be by your steering column, all right. Remove the trim panel(s) under the left side of your dash and feel for the physical click to find the can. But you may have a 2 trick issue - some relays are affected by the emergency flasher relay,which is a totally separate, and differently located, identical relay on my '90. Cheap enough to change both, but do not until you have checked all bulb filaments first. A broken filament can screw up things, too.
       To be sure, go to Auto Zone or similar, and buy a Haynes manual ($12-18) for your rig. Then look it up. Haynes manuals are valuable because they deal with only 1 model in a limited range of years. These are arguably the finest manual for the general public and independent mechanics. My mechanic uses them.
        Good luck! aralph@innevi.com
  • cigsmhcigsmh Member Posts: 16
    Hi everybody,

Just to let you know. I bought Montana 2000 5 month ago. Since then I have got following problems: Broken wipers (do not park), broken fuel tank sensor (gauge shows full tank constantly), leak from one of the break cylinders, coolant leak from intake manifold, high oil consumption
    I have an extended warranty (most expensive one) so yesterday I brought the car to North York Chevy dealership to fix all the problems. They gave me a loan car to get to work. It was yesterday. Today they called me and told that coolant and break leeks are fixed, by my Wipers and Gas Tank Sensor are not covered by the extended warranty so I will have to pay for it. So they want me to pay 200$ to fix wipers and 465$ to replace Gas Tank Sensor. I just wonder whether this sensor made from GOLD….
    I will shop around to find better deal and I know I will. I think they trying to compensate somehow the work they spend fixing parts under the warranty. The never lose.

Just to let you know that this car is amazing on the road, but I will never buy it again.
    I still have 2.5 years of extended warranty and then I will sell it and buy Sienna.
    I have enough worries in my life, I don’t need another one
    Good luck with your vehicles.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    2005 Pontiac Montana

Seemed to be a good time to drop the "Transport" in the discussion title too. It'll still show up in searches for Transport.

More HP anyone?

Steve, Host
  • balichbalich Member Posts: 62
    '97 Pontiac Transport wiper problem ...

My wife's transport wiper blades do not close (point down under the windshield ....
    They work fine in all speeds but when you shut
    them off .. they appear to go down under the windshield but then go straight up and shut off in a full straight up position (both blades do the same thing.... we had this problem 4 years ago under warrranty but the dealer won't fix it again .. we called Pontiac .. they said same thing .. has anybody else had this problem and is there a easy fix ? Under warranty - they said
    they replaced the wiper motor ?? I would think their should be a less expensive fix ?
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    I cannot help you, but that seems to be a problem on a lot of those van.
    I,ve seen a lot of those van with the wiper in the upper position, samething with the Grand-Prix, there is a flaw in their design, you shouldn't have to pay for that
  • willie340willie340 Member Posts: 59
    look in the section GM's triplets...they talk about wiper problems there..
  • mivesmives Member Posts: 1
    I am really lost. We are looking for a vehicle to suit our family of 4. Would like a van, would settle for an inexpensive SUV. We are limiting ourselves to GM because buying with GM card earnings and my father's GM employee discount. Thinking about the Montana or Vue. I know completely different, but need alternative if Montana is as bad as all the postings say. Any thoughts? Lots of long distance travel and like the idea of putting the kids in the way back.
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    The GM vans are a good bet in my opinion. Their reliability is not as good as Honda or Toyota, but not that far behind. I have a 2000 Olds Silo, and am quit pleased with it. Has 47k miles, and no serious problems so far. Because Olds is being phased out by GM, you can get better deals than with Pontiac or Chevy. Someone reported getting the top of the line 2003 Silo Premier for about 25K. If you need seating for eight, go with the Pontiac. You don't want a SUV!
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    RE. "bad as all the postings say"

If you go back a few months in postings for the various gm minivan discussions (they're all virtually identical mechanically) you'll find plenty of people are quite pleased with them (myself included)...any of the vans regardless of brand will have plenty of good & bad experiences described, but if you look at the overall $$$ picture, for example of a gm versus a oddysey or toyota, each with say, ~ 10 or 25K miles, each a year or two old, IMO the gm's are a pretty darn good bet.
  • flash26flash26 Member Posts: 2
    I am new to this forum, but my sister has a '98 montana that she has had a lot of problems with. The most concerning and major problem happened when they were driving 60 miles an hour on the freeway, then they took their foot off the gas, with no response! It did not decelerate...basically it drives on its own! At first they thought it was a problem with the cruise control, but that wasn't it. Has anyone else had this problem? GM had suggested replacing the intake gasket. ANY help would be really appreciated.
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    My friend has a 1998 Venture LS and they love it. They take it on long trips and now have almost 80k miles, not having a warranty since 36k miles they seem to be doing fine. Personally i like the looks of the "GM TRIO" better than Honda, Toyota, and Chrysler. One thing I'd look at if buying a GM minivan is getting the AWD version. If also thinking about the SUV market an AWD minivan is the perfect combo! also the reliabliity of then now is great! after having a similar body since 1997 the resale value is still good and ALL the bugs have been worked out!!! HOPE IT TURNS OUT OK FOR YOU!
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    will someone say something please???
    Everyone is on their way to Glacier Nat. Park in their Montana.

Steve, Host
  • georgiogeorgio Member Posts: 3
    Our 2003 Montana is experiencing front disc brake lockup after the brake have been applied 20 or more times (varies). Opening the bleed line fitting on either front caliper relieves the pressure and all is OK for another 20 + cycle. One caliper was replaced recently due to front end damage along with some body panels and the van became a salvage vehicle due to mileage and cost of repairs (34 K out of rental fleet). This is our fourth Montana (second salvage) and all are still great except for this strange problem. What could it be (booster,ABS, or what)?
  • dlubindlubin Member Posts: 66
  • georgiogeorgio Member Posts: 3
    Followup on message # 851- The problem was with the brake booster. Having two Montana's side by side in the shop, the 'mechanic' switched parts out until the condition went away. First try was an ABS part then the Brake Booster. The shop was for body rebuilding only so they aren't the sharpest knife in the drawer but it works. Someday I hope to hear an explanation what was really wrong in the booster.
    That sounds like the technique most computer techs seem to use - just keep swapping stuff out until it works again.

Steve, Host
  • dseldersdselders Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

We bought a used 1997 Transport with the montana package about 4 yrs ago with approx. 47,000 miles on it. We have had very good luck with this van. We currently have 118,000 miles on it and runs very well still.

I do have a question for you guys,

we have noticed lately that when you are going 60-75 mph and the RPM's are between 2000-2500 that we get a bad vibration/shaking through out the van. I guess the best way to describe it would be that the tires are out of balance but worse. It doesn't happen all the time. I recently bought new tires and had the tires checked again for proper balance twice and they said everything looked good and tight.

So any idea's on what this might be caused from?? I had a cousin that thought it might be from the torque converter. I plan on taking it in and having it looked at, but thought I would ask you guys also.

Thanks for your time,

Dwight
  • koolhatzkoolhatz Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to find the appropriate after market rear shocks as well as the front strut/shocks for my 1998 Transport Montana with the rear load levelling system. The AC Delco shocks from the dealer are outrageously priced. I have noticed that many auto parts distributors are quoting the Monroe air shocks part MA824 that can be used with the Montana load levelling system. Does anybody have any experience with non AC delco shocks on these systems? Help is much appreciated.

Koolhatz
    I thought I had the message bookmarked but I lost it. Someone in the SUVs board a few months ago was talking about shocks and how they are designed and engineered to work with one make/model of car or truck.

Shocks you get aftermarket often are spec'd to work with a variety of vehicles.

The poster went on to say why use a generic shock from Monroe or Midas instead of getting an OEM replacement that was designed for the van?

One good reason, obviously, is cost....

(edit) Found it!

idahodoug "Toyota Land Cruiser" Feb 10, 2003 9:24pm

Steve, Host
  • psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    dirkdaddy "GM's triplets: Venture, Silhouette, and Montana" Nov 19, 2002 10:13am.

I ended up going with AC Delco shocks in our Y2K Montana.

Phil
  • ua727ua727 Member Posts: 2
    How do I get head restraints out of quad seats (1999 Montana)so they can fold forward without hitting front seat. I understand there is a special tool that my GM dealer does not have. Really a poor set-up if you want to maximize space to haul something.
  • jfxckljfxckl Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have a 1995 transport that has ben bucking for three years now. we have spent thousands of dollars trying to figure it our. sensors modules you name it I feel as if we replaced it. The engine seems to stop running for a split second. You can either let off the gas or hit the gas to get threw it. The latest thing we were told was we needed new tranny mounts . i am no macanic but that does not seen to logical. can anyone help. Thanks Jim, Email me jl@healthcarereview.com
  • ebirjrebirjr Member Posts: 1
    Have a question regarding the rear power windows. It seems my rear windows very slow opens and closes. Sometimes when I give a shot of a lubricant it helps but shortly thereafter it gets REAL SLOW again!! Any suggestions as to the cause. By the way my front side windows work fine.
    My driver's side power window is doing something similar. I lubed it a couple of times with some spray oil and grabbed the glass and worked it back and forth. It helped; for a while there it didn't like going up at all.

I don't know any way to really fix it without tearing into the door somehow and adjusting the tracks. There's probably some fix buried over in Maintenance & Repair somewhere but I haven't played with the search tools over there yet.

Steve, Host
  • dooper67dooper67 Member Posts: 26
    Just when I think that everything that can break on my Trans Sport has broke, they manage to find something new. After my coolant light went on, the dealer estimates $1,000.00 (yep, one thousand) to fix as they have to tear the engine apart. Supposedly, the coolant will eventually leak into the engine and cause real damage. Anyone else have this problem and/or have an opinion on what this should really cost. Thanks.
    Jerry
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    This is a common probem with GM 3.4 v6. You can find a lot written about it.

DD
  • jeberjeber Member Posts: 91
    the quotes for this intake gasket repair I've seen discussed here seem to be quite a bit less than $1000...usually around $450 - 700ish. You might shop around.

Unless maybe your in a high-cost area, D.C., San Fran, Boston, etc., maybe that's normal?
  • zlittlezlittle Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Montana that doesn't seem to have the best lights on it. Ok, they suck. The dims are actually better than high beams as long as you have the fog lights on; but as soon as you go to highs, the fogs turn off(pontiac says theres no way to keep them on with high beams) The lights are adjusted but the reflectors are where the bevels are, not the lense. I have a big floodlight that won,t let you see more than 30 ft. down the road. They just plain suck. Has anyone else ran into this and if so, how did/do you fix it so the headlights can be used?
  • drews18drews18 Member Posts: 2
    I recently have been having trouble w/ my Montana stalling out at stop lights/signs. I have had 3 garages look at it and they all say the computer doesn't show anything and it won't stall for them. I have had a new fuel filter, spark plugs, idler arm changed on it and nothing changes. If anyone has had anything similar please let me know what it may be. Also after stalling there is a strong smell throughout the van. Other than this the van has been very good. Please help!!
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    drews18, it may be helpful if you listed the year and mileage of your Montana. And more details releating to the three service visits for just the stall issue.
  • drews18drews18 Member Posts: 2
    Year 1999, mileage 96,000. The three visits the mechanics all put it on the computer and there were no diagnostics to indicate anything was wrong. I am just curious if anyone else has any idea what it could be. It is very frustrating never knowing when it is going to stall. Only stalls when not moving. Doesn't matter if in park or drive. When it is getting ready to stall the rpm will bounce between 1-0 lights dim alittle bit. Then stall and bad smell. We have also put new battery as well as battery cable. It has been seen by 3 different mechanics a total if 6 times!!!!!!!!!$$$$$$$
  • all4chevyall4chevy Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 pontiac montana with 23,000 miles. The problem is when im driving down the road the power locks keep trying to lock. sometimes it will do it just sitting in my garage with the keys in the ignition. any ideas? thanks
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Member Posts: 274
    My Firebird's locks would go nuts occasionally when it was raining, I couldn't figure out how to stop it. I think if any water got in the switch it would short it.
  • dirkdaddydirkdaddy Member Posts: 313
    that sounds like a stumper, but try having someone inspect the wiring harness under the battery and along under the washer container. Did you have to replace the battery recently? many of these Delco batteries were crap and leaked acid, causing some odd electrial problems. Definately sounds like an electrial problem. Also, did you have the alternator replaced? It sounds like the engine might be moving under load (when moving) and when not under load, maybe its connection is going bad causing the engine to stumble. Also check the coil packs for corrosion.

These are normally bulletproof power train except for coolant leaks.
  • lennxlennx Member Posts: 73
    Try replacing the sprak plug wires. If they are old, it will stall when it gets damp or rains.

If you want, you can test the wires with a spray bottle full of water. Spray each wire. When you find one that is giving you trouble, the van will stall.
  • jimbeejimbee Member Posts: 3
    The orginal light system is poor. We recently changed the bulbs over to the new Sylvania Silver STar bulbs. Much better.

They cost about $22 each and Canadian Tire. (About 18.00 US)

Changing bulbs is easy. Follow instructions in owners manual. Be careful not to touch the glass part of the bulb. Oil on fingers is bad for bulb.
  • jimbeejimbee Member Posts: 3
    Our ’97 Transport has 250,000 kms on it. (155,000 miles.) Only significant repairs to date have been a failed front wheel bearing and a new battery. Brakes have been replaced three times, as expected. This has been excellent service. Van still has original shocks and struts.

A number of minor problems are accumulating to the point we want to get them taken care of. Other readers will have faced them, too, so would like some feedback on what is the problem and the best way to get it fixed.

1.) The front wipers have only one speed – fast. No slow speed and no intermittent speed. They will not park when turned off, unless I turn them off at exactly the right place.

Is this a failed wiper control on the driving column or a failed wiper motor?

2.) The car occasional develops a severe shudder at around cruise speed. It goes away if I accelerate. It only lasts for a minute or so and then id gone for a few days. I have always assumed it was transmission related. Others had the problem and found the cure?

3) We lost all engine coolant, with no sign of a leak. There was a white emulsion around the oil cap, so we assume the coolant went through the oil system. This is BAD.

We replaced oil and coolant and added heavy duty rad sealant to the coolant. This has worked just fine (6 months.) I assume the problem is the manifold gasket problem we have heard about. If we have the gasket replaced, will that solve the problem – or will it come back?

My mechanic (not a dealer) assures me that the V6 and transmission of this series of vehicles is very reliable. He recommends the GM cars because the problems tend to be minor items rather than major problems. We bought the Transport because he recommended it to us. Other than the suspected leaking manifold gasket, his advice has been accurate. Problems have been minor.

Sure looking forward to hearing what is causing the shudder.