Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Montana

Comments

• vanman1vanman1 Member Posts: 1,397
    I'm getting about 15 in the city (some stop and go) and we did a 3 hour trip on the highway doing about 65-70 mph and got around 21.

I don't speed up fast and I'm not aggressive at all (I have a family) so I'm a bit disappointed. Hopefully it will get better. It's nice warm weather so mileage should be at it's best now which is what scares me, especially with gas prices where they are.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I own a Silhouette 02 and this past weekend I was getting 31 mph doing 65-70 mph. I usually get around 24 mpg in the city and that's more stop than go. Check your tire pressure.
    Will do though it looks fine.

The tank of gas I'm on right now seems to be burning a bit slower than the last, maybe I had some bad gas. Will report back in a few weeks.

I am happy with the smoothness and quiet of the 3.4L though. Some people have said it's not very refined but compared with the DOHC V6 in our Intrigue, I don't find it much different. Perhaps it's well isolated in a big vehicle?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    '05 pricing info is up:

2005 Pontiac Montana

Steve, Host
    Wow, this is a quiet area. Anyway, the last tank of mixed driving yielded about 20-21 MPG so it's much better. Need to go for a long highway ride and see if I can get close to the 26-27 I should get. Seems like some of the 3.4Ls may need a bit of breaking in.
    2005 Montana? I thought 2004 was the last year?
    Beats me - since you're hanging out over in 2005 Chevrolet Uplander/Pontiac Montana SV6/Saturn Relay/Buick Terraza, what's the scoop?

Steve, Host
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    GM will be building a run of the previous generation vans as 2005s from May '04 to Sept '04 before switching over to the new generation vans, also as 2005s.
    Thanks, Montanafan - that makes sense.

Steve, Host
    It makes sense to who?

I don't see why GM would confuse everyone with a run of Ventures and Montanas?

Oh well, whatever.
    Nissan did something similar with the Quest. They didn't have an '03 Quest while waiting for the revised '04, but they still managed to sell some '02's in 2003.

Steve, Host
  • zitfacezitface Member Posts: 6
    As some others I have had trouble with my drivers side power window. After some investigation it seems the actuator is shot. Since my research someone broke out the window also. I have found parts. Is replacement of these parts (window and actuator) within the realm of a do it your selfer? Any tips or howto's on doing the task? Thanks in advance!
  • zitfacezitface Member Posts: 6
    Clips can be purchased at any auto parts store. Usually a pack of 4 to 6. Take an old one with you. There are lots of different sizes.

p.s. Did you have to replace your window actuator? Mine is shot.
  • montanarocksmontanarocks Member Posts: 3
    My 99 Montana has recently developped a problem which stumps my mechanic. The automatic load levelling system seems to have stopped working. I can no longer hear the compressor engage after I start the engine. It appears that the shock on the left side has been inflated or whatever it is that happens to shocks to its very maximum, raising the rear end of the van and is not releasing. This causes severe thumping and bumping and makes for a very rough ride. Mechanic can release the shock manually (I do not know how he does that!) but then, a few days later, the same thing happens. Has anyone run into a similar problem and what can be done to fix it?
  • mikek777mikek777 Member Posts: 3
    I have the older style Chev Lumina with a 3.4L engine in it. (1st year for that engine I think) I have had very few problems with it. It has been a good vehicle. I got the intake gaskets changed at 170,000 kms due to leaks and changed the transmission at 105,000 kms. Those are the only 2 big problems I have had. It now has 185,000 kms on it and it seems very reliable. The plastic body keeps it looking good even though they salt the roads like crazy around here in the winter. The modular seats are still a great idea as it makes a very good hauler. It is so easy to create a completely flat floor for hauling stuff to the cottage and then switch back to haul the kids around.
    Try asking in Got a Quick, Technical Question? too.

Steve, Host
  • montanarocksmontanarocks Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the tip, Steve.

I just posted there as well.

Anka
  • bill221bill221 Member Posts: 8
    have a 2002 silhouette and am amazed how stiff the horn button cover is on the steering wheel, was hoping that a few yrs time and even warm summer weather would soften them up, but coming up on 2 yrs old and still very hard to work the horn, so hard its got to be a safety problem. anyone have any solutions? i'm hesitent to try any kind of chemical to attempt to soften up the plastic, since any changes to the plastic would probably affect the workings of the airbag if it ever had to deploy. any montanas have this problem? any solutions?
    Our 2004 Montana horn is a little stiff, but not much more than anything else I have driven. I find it's a common complaint since air bags started started being installed though.
  • just4fun2just4fun2 Member Posts: 461
    I believe it just depends on the car makers design. I have a 02 Silhouette and I have to press very hard to make the horn sound, but my 00 Sebring is so sensitive that I just have to lightly tap and the horn will sound. I much perfer the Sebring horn set up while driving.
  • t431jamt431jam Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in purchasing an AWD model, curious to here thoughts from someone who has a AWD model and how it's performing. Thanks.
  • chris413chris413 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 acord ex (that i love!! with 165k) Also 94 plymouth voyager with139k.My wife's mother passed away and we recived a 99 malibu. We are keeping that one . The honda runs great and the van is falling apart. I can get a D.blue with tan bottom
    One owner new car trade . New Trannyand rear main seal Power window driver side actuator, wheel cyiderand both power vent moters in the back .The van just turned 75K when i drove . 3500 and my two cars and it mine .Also when i drove the raido lite out
    Help i herd good and bad
  • montanafanmontanafan Member Posts: 945
    My family has had good luck with their TransSports/Montanas, so at that price it is well worth having the car checked by a mechanic. Or perhaps you can even buy an extended service plan. Make a good educated choice based on what you see and your experts recommend.

My 1994 Grand Voyager is running great at 145,000+,the one problem is my driver's seat frame is broken. How much is the dealer giving you for the van?
  • chris413chris413 Member Posts: 2
    Sorry took off for awhile . they wanted$ 3500 plus my cars . So iIam selling the cars on my own . I must be crazy becouse i bought one on ebay!!!! For 7 grand and 190 fees ,$300 to bring it to MA from MI .$7450 total .Below book. 98 Trans sport almost 72kand loaded with every option for that year Cant wait until monday am
  • jservicejservice Member Posts: 11
    I have a '97 Trans Sport (was branded Montana in U.S.) and my turn signals stopped working completely. Checked appropriate fuse in internal fuse panel and it's OK.

I can't seem to locate the flasher under the dash. The 4-ways work, and when I put them on I can hear that flasher clicking, but damned if I can find it. Can anyone help?
  • jservicejservice Member Posts: 11
    One more thing...

I have an intermittent problem with my heater controls.
    When I have the temp setting at maximum cold, it works OK for about 15 minutes, then suddenly maximum heat starts coming out of the vents. If I whack the right hand side of the console around the heater controls, it returns to blowing cold air..sometimes for a few minutes, sometimes for hours.
    Has anyone experienced this??
  • 52mike52mike Member Posts: 1
    smith104,

I am in the process of buying a 99 Montana. I mentioned to the dealer a similar problem of a friend who owns an 01 Montana. The dealer said Pontiac had sent a service bulletin on this problem recently. He said that some keyless start systems are not compatible with the vehicle anti theft devices. He said the vehicle would run for a short while and then the computer would think the vehicle was being stolen and shut down the fuel source, etc. He also said one of his customers had the problem and the installer of the keyless system had to redo their software, signal, or whatever. Anyway, it solved the problem. I don't know if this will help but it's worth a try.
  • nelson1nelson1 Member Posts: 41
    I own a late 99 Montana Ext. It has 81,000 miles on it. The only problem I have ever had is the power window switch on driver's side, which I changed myself. As I read about the problems folks have with Honda and Toyota mini vans, I can't understand why anyone would consider buying one. As for me, I am awaiting the arrival of the 2005 Montana. If the new styling suits me, I will trade in my '99 for a '05. The '99 is the best vehicle I have ever owned, plus the overall gas mileage on it, since the day I drove it home is 26.2.
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    If you can wait a bit, GM is well known to use customer as guine pig the first year of production.Don't ruin your great Montana experience ;-)
    Our 04 is till flawless since April. It's getting great mileage, especially on the highway. I recommend the van to anyone who asks. With the discounts they now have and a 5 year power train warranty, how wrong can you go.
    Has anyone here replaced their OEM stereo? I want to put in a better one with MP3 but I'm wondering if I might screw up the security systems.
  • veestarveestar Member Posts: 16
    I have 90,000 miles on my 97 montana and I don't know if the transmission fluid and filter has ever been changed. I've heard that you can start having problems when you change fluid if it wasn't done on a regular basis. Has anyone else heard this?
  • veestarveestar Member Posts: 16
    I'm also looking to replace my oem system with an MP3 unit. The folks at Crutchfields may be able to answer your question concerning the security systems. They sell lots of car audio.
  • wijocowijoco Member Posts: 462
    You might, but you'll definitely have trouble if you never change it. You can get a complete change at your dealer for around $150.
  • n7donn7don Member Posts: 188
    If your transmission is working ok now changing the fluid/filter now shouldn't be a problem. The Montana's transmission is fairly easy for a DYIer to change but it's messy. My 98 takes 6 1/2qts ATF.
  • muellermueller Member Posts: 3
    Can the 2nd row modular (3seats) be changed for two captain seats in the second row? Will they fit into the floor mounts? 2004 Montana.

Werner
    I don't think that will work. The mounts are different in out 04 Montana for our captains chairs in the middle row.
  • ucanskiucanski Member Posts: 5
    99 Montana 95,000 miles.
    Problem: Noise associated with serpentine belt.
    History: Took belt off and checked for looseness found water pump had a lot of play, leaked and replaced it. It was time for a new water pump.
    The noise is still there, but goes away when I apply (oil or water) to the teeth side of the belt and comes back when the belt dries off. The new suspects are the tensioner pulley and the next pulley in sequence on the top from the water pump.
    The problem I have is that I don't know and can't figure out how to get that pulley off. A large 6mm or there abouts allen wrench goes into it, but it doesn't loosen either way.
    Help needed: Does anyone have experience with this type of thing? Does anyone know how to get that off - so I can check it on a bench?
    Thanks
    I haven't taken one off but the service manual shows removing the belt and unbolting the tensioner as an assembly. In other words the pulley comes off with the arm. There appears to be 2 idler pulleys and again just shows unbolting from the block. Retorque to 37 ft-lbs to reassemble.
    Well the temp dropped big this weekend and my washer fluid froze up and blocked the line. Is this common on Montanas? I have never had this happen before.

I enjoyed driving on some snow north of Toronto where they had some. Van handled well, I was impressed.
  • luggknutsluggknuts Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had a problem with the abs and tcs lights coming on while you were driving. This has started happening to us about 6months ago. It usually happens in wet weather. We took it to the shop and they cleared the history codes. Did fine for a few days but the lights are coming back on now. Also our low traction has been kicking in when it is dry outside. I am getting pretty frustrated with this van. We currently have 99,000 miles on it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
  • tszydlowskitszydlowski Member Posts: 2
    any one have any idea how to get to the back spark plugs i have to change and it's hard to put your hands back there.

please help
  • terrehillterrehill Member Posts: 8
    CAN Someone tell me what I have to do to change the bulb in the fog light on my 2000 Montana? All help appreciated.
    Look at Edmunds forum on GM Triplets: Venture, Shilhouette and Montana, message #1017 & #1018. Not sure if the 96 is the same but may be close.
  • dipstickdipstick Member Posts: 1
    Help, we have a 1999 transport(montana)and have had a problem w/the vehicle getting hot and going thru alot of antifreeze. We thought it was a head gasket problem and consulted a mechanic who replaced the rear intake manifold gasket, then the o2 sensor, ran a few days okay, then tempt. gadge went hot and loss of power. Now we are told the head gasket needs replacing.(from the very beginning of this mess we asked about head gasket,the car had a smell like...maple syrup if that means anything)The mechanic assured us it was not the head gasket. Now were looking at another $1,000 to $2,000 more in repair cost. Does anyone have info out there about this problem?
    Is the same mechanic that replaced the manifold gasket the one telling you it's now a head gasket failure? The fact that it ran OK for a "few days" is suspicious. Generally a new manifold gasket install doesn't disturb the head gasket. If the head gasket wasn't leaking before then it shouldn't leak because of a new manifold gasket. First I'd ask the mechanic that did the manifold gasket install why he didn't think it was a head gasket leaking..... then I'd ask the mechanic that thinks it's a leaking head gasket what tests he's run (like a compression test) to confirm a leaking head gasket. If it's the same mechanic he should share in the repair cost!
  • ford 4x4ford 4x4 Member Posts: 3
    what you are going to have to do (if this is a side mounted engine) is roll the engine forward. it sounds hard but is actually quite simple. I have a 99 montana. refer to your maintenance manuall.
  • nscrfannscrfan Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 montana and the SERVICE TRACTION SYSTEM light is on. What is the cause for this? Can it be fixed by myself? Would changing the front pads cause this condition?
    Could be a bad sensor or something along these lines:

Jim Grant's Tech Tips

Try asking in the GM's triplets: Venture, Silhouette, and Montana or Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussions.

Steve, Host
  • crayhorncrayhorn Member Posts: 1
    I have a similar problem. The brake light and the trac off light are constantly on. My traction control no longer works. Occasionally the service traction system light comes on but re-sets when I turn the ignition off. Any solutions?