Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    I'd go with the Subie VDC for several reasons:

• It's an all-new vehicle with a complete warranty, plus it's always nice to have a "new" car rather than a used car.

• I think over the long haul, the Subie will be less expensive to own, especially when it comes to repairs and maintenance.

• I think the interior ergonomics with any Japanese car is better than the ergonomics of European cars. I just like the way switches and gauges are, especially the secondary items. The Japanese, by and large just think things out better, IMO.

• I think either one will offer a rewarding driving experience.

• I think the Audi is better looking, but that the Subie is still good looking.

Bob
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Subarus don't do great on initial quality , but by 2-3 years they hold up very well to the other brands who slip and start to have major mechanical problems as opposed to little cosmetic things on the initial quality surveys.

Well, lucky JD Power doesn't have a checkbox for head gaskets.....
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure they do, actually. Those are most definitely factored in.

HG were an issue mostly from 99-01, and Subaru covers them with an 8/100 warranty anyway.

Not to mention the head gasket issue *NEVER* affected the EZ30, only the EJ25, a completely unrelated engine.

I don't see how that should affect anyone shopping for a VDC in any way. The H6 engine has been near bullet proof. If anything, the fact that even the common problems you point out did *not* affect the VDC is perhaps the strongest endorsement possible to buy the VDC.

Other common issues:

Wheel bearings on '98-'01 Forester and Impreza (Leg/OB not affected)
    Clutch chatter pre '03 (N/A for automatics)
    '02 WRX manual tranny gears

None affect the VDC.

Now, shall we list the things that affect Audis? Sludge, ignition coils, electrical gremlines. We don't have enough time for that. :lemon:

;)

-juice
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I had the dubious privilege of doing a JDP for my 02 WRX, pretty sure the initial quality one did not ask questions as specific as headgaskets though there was quite a lot of detailed questions about various pieces of trim.(I was stumped as to whether the 3 scratch marks all in the same place was 1 or 3 defects!)
    the 3 year survey had more details on engine drivetrain etc but I don't specifically recall headgaskets per se.In fact it wasn't that much more detailed than a consumers report survey.
  • ebony5ebony5 Member Posts: 142
    Well, back from the service dept, I told them about the play in the steering wheel and I had to replace the inner tie rod end on the passanger side,( I could feel play when gently swiveling the tire when the car was on the lift on the passanger side wheel). This of course made it necessary to have the wheels realigned. They have a Hunter alignment machine in the shop & I was given a printout of the before and after specs.Secified Range-Camber,Caster,Toe, angle etc. For what's it's worth, while talking to the Subaru mechanic I mentioned the infamous "Head Gasket" situation and he mentioned that only Subaru Coolant should be used that other brands could cause damage. I mentioned this to the Service Rep. and he said Subaru had sent out a service advisory to that affect. I also the changed the oil, fuel filter, air filter, air control valve and rotated the tires. Those Subaru Bucks sure come in handy.
  • thepdmmthepdmm Member Posts: 82
    So I talked to my dealer again and he said that they went to some subaru meeting and he claimed no cloth interior option for the 2006 Legacy GT anybody else heard this, or have an opinion or know for a fact about the interior options for next years Legacy GT? I am not as concerned about the leather but I don't want a sunroof (tall need the headroom?).. I would LIKE cloth just because I feel like I stick to the cloth better then the leather and Leather just costs more!

thanks again for input!
    We were hearing the same thing. But I'm not sure if it was just on the Outback, or also on the Legacy GT.

Basically we expect the turbos to come only with the Limited package. In a reversal, the H6 will offer a cloth option on the Outback.

-juice
    Now why would they do that? first off they make the car more expensive? they (if the limited package still forces a sunroof) make the car too small for taller people, and there are tall people here!.

on top of all of this the new Tribeca which has about a 30K starting price is going to be offered with cloth?? or is their a smaller engine also?

BUT at the same time I am not a car economist either!

so how sure are you guys about it no cloth carrying over both outback and legacy? I understand now that the Legacy and the Outback are completely different cars now right?

how much carry over does subaru usually do with new model year stats out and old model year still being produced?

anybody know how long until concrete stats are out?

thanks
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    anybody know how long until concrete stats are out?

Should really be anytime soon. Subaru apparently has already started production of the 2006 models so somewhere, somplace are the concrete stats. Unfortunately, most dealers often have to be informed by enthusiasts on this forum as well as other owners groups.

Ken
    Keep something in mind - they will shuffle the option packages to get people that would not buy a 2005 to buy a 2006. In 2007 they'll probably come up with yet another package strategy to woo a yet another customer.

This year they're selling to the tall folks that wants the H6 with cloth.

-juice
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    they (if the limited package still forces a sunroof) make the car too small for taller people, and there are tall people here!.

I am 6-0, and find that there is more headroom in the 05 Legacy GT Sedan, than my 99 Legacy GT sedan. Rob M.
    Ateixera? they are putting an H6 in the Legacy Sedan next year? so why does subaru only want to appeal to a few types of people at a time.. wouldn't it make sense to appeal to as many as possible at a time? or am I misunderstanding what your saying?

rob_m. I am 6-3 and I have JUST enough room in a legacy with the limited package. (but plenty without the sunroof) but I am guessing in the mornings and the nice cold winters with more clothes on I am going to be a bit cramped... However, before the redesign it didn't matter what the Legacy was equipped with I wasn't fitting!

Please let me know if you hear anything.
    I had the dubious privilege of doing a JDP for my 02 WRX, pretty sure the initial quality one did not ask questions as specific as headgaskets though there was quite a lot of detailed questions about various pieces of trim.(I was stumped as to whether the 3 scratch marks all in the same place was 1 or 3 defects!)
    the 3 year survey had more details on engine drivetrain etc but I don't specifically recall headgaskets per se.In fact it wasn't that much more detailed than a consumers report survey.

NP. My post was really tongue-in-cheek. The Cheerleaders point out that not as many of the newer Subarus have had head gasket problems. Of course, they also don't have as many miles on them.

It's a durable engine that has to work hard in this application. I kept my '97, despite having to replace the headgaskets, a wheel bearing, and an axle, all of which were expected because of others posting on Subaru forums.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    Garand,

Out of curiosity, at what mileage did you need to replace the axle? I had to replace both of my fronts - one at 112K and the other at.... well, I replaced it at 144K, but it really went out at 135K and I stubbornly pushed it until I was able to do the engine work simultaneously.

Anyway, I thought the first one went out pretty early, but this is also the first car I have had that has CV joints.

Is this something that other owners have found as well, or is it more likely that my extreme climate (dry, cold) took its toll on the boots?

-Wes-
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    The axles seem to go in the range of 125-150K miles. The automatic transmissions hold up well also. There are some advantages to having less power.
    Subaru is a small company and can't do every possible variation like, say, Toyota can.

But even Toyota doesn't offer a manual tranny with a V6, for instance.

You can't win. ;)

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,795
    Unless you get a Tacoma.... wait. About what were we talking again?! :D

I saw that the Subaru website finally has the Tribeca listed in the model lineup, but it looks like all the other models still have 2005 specs. I'd like to see the '06 (or maybe for '07?!) Legacy lineup have the mahogany red exterior - maybe even with a two tone (my preference, though obviously not real popular since they seem to be going away from it). Other than the atlantic blue, and that one is marginal, I can describe the '05 exterior color options on the Legacies in one word: boring.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I hear you! I don't know why they are taking away options..

I am just going to wait till the 06 specs come out..I should have a couple weeks to make my decision on 05 or 06 when I know 06 specs..

If they get rid of cloth fine but I need to be able to not have a sunroof, that is the major concern.

good thing is that 05s seem like they are pretty sturdy and rattle free, so that is all a plus!
  • derf4derf4 Member Posts: 1
    I spoke with a Subie sales manager today and she was in the middle of her first 2006 Legacy order. For 06, at this time, there won't be a 6 spd manual tranny (she call her Subie rep and he confirmed this). The factory options are also unchanged and the exterior color aren't changing either. She did tell me that Subaru is making a special run of 500 Sedans. Platinum silver exterior and Burgundy interior no other changes, once again this was confirmed by her rep. She didn't have full spec so some of these things might change.

Fred
  • masteryodamasteryoda Member Posts: 41
    Hey everybody, I'm just about ready to do the 90K service for my 98GT wagon and I was wondering if anybody had this service performed in the denver metro area and how much did they pay for it. Also, is there a list of things that need to be done for this service so that I know I'm not getting charged for something I don't need?

THanks a lot.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    If you've never taken part in one of our Subaru Crew chats, why not put it on your To Do list for tonight?

PF Flyer
    Host
    News & Views, Wagons, & Hybrid Vehicles

The Subaru Crew Chat is on tonight. The chat room opens at 8:45PM ET Hope to see YOU there! Check out the schedule
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    I have a 2001 VDC wagon with 35k miles and need to replace the OEM tires.

I prefer to buy tires at either Costco or Discount tires. Based on initial research on tirerack, the following seem reasonable choices and in similar price ballpark. Any experiences or comments on them? or other suggestions?

In increasing price:
    Kumho 716 Ecsta HP4
    Yokohama Avid V4S
    Goodrich Traction T/A
    Bridgestone Turanza LS-H

The Goodyear Tripletred appears also to be excellent but is quite a bit higher cost.

Thanks for any thoughts,
    Mike
  • kat95kat95 Member Posts: 49
    Do you have the 225/60/16 or 225/55/17? Is price a factor? I have purchased my tires from my local Walmart Supercenter or you can purchase tires @ walmart.com. I have purchased the Douglas Performance GT-H (Goodyear makes them) for $71.86 per tire, they are a 40,000 mile tire, wear evenly, stick to the road in downpours. I love them so much that when I recently purchased my 05 Legacy sedan, I replaced the OEM Bridgstone Potenza due to bad reviews from tirerack with new Douglas tires. I had my first set and experience with an Impreza, I did not use winter tires and got around just fine in VT winters. Though I do feel winter tires are superior than all-season if you really need them. Unfortunatly, I can't comment on the tires you are currently looking at. Just my 2cents

:)
  • reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    There is a black plastic shield below engine that is cracked. Should I be worried about it might brake off?
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Remove the whole thing.
    No more worries :)

-Dave
  • jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Those 500 special edition sedans will be Legacy Spec B. You can find photos and a little more info over in the Future Models II forum starting at post #16803 here:

kens, "Subaru Crew - Future Models II" #16789, 11 Jun 2005 5:08 pm
  • kevin13kevin13 Member Posts: 12
    Hi all. About to purchase a Legacy GT Premium 5 speed. I've heard about air conditioning problems, i.e. the air starts blowing hot when the target temperature is reached instead of blowing temperate air before the a/c needs to cycle on again. Are folks having that problem?
    replied in 2005+ Legacy thread. Rob M.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I have the T on my wife's minivan for a year and have the V on my Legacy since I took off the winter tires in April ( I plan eventually to have it as a spare set on my WRX which is why I didn't get the H for the Legacy). They are excellent tires. My dad has had the H on an Avalon for almost 2 years in FL and loves them. I got those for him back then after reading the Tirerack reviews. Got my Vs at Costco when they had a 100$ off sale then.
    It's optional, I removed the one from my Forester. Other models don't have it so it's fine.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    You can always replace it with a front skid plate for added protection :) . Check out http://azpinstalls.com/ then look at Rally Armor for an example.

Mark
    so I don't know a whole lot about intercoolers? I am assuming the intercooler on the Legacy GT is an "air to air" right? and I understand there are differant kinds.. I understand that an intercooler cools compressed air. now what are the advantages of the "other kinds"

I am assuming since the Legacy GT is stock air to air is probably not as good but probably less likely to break? or leak? (given air to air from what I know is just literally a big heat sink)..

so what do I need to know oh faithful subaru owners about intercoolers?
    The intercooler on all modern day turbocharged cars are essentially big radiators. Instead of coolant flowing through them, compressed intake from the turbine enters the IC which in turn radiates heat through the IC fins. Most turbo cars have some way to allow outside air to flow over the IC to assist with cooling (ie. hood scoop or FMIC).

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/turbo7.htm

I don't know of any other type of cooling mechanism that could take place with an IC other than a water spray. Even then, the water spray is a temporary measure to reduce IC temperatures and not a continuous mechanism. A car is not plumbed to an external water supply so it would be difficult to obtain a true air-water cooling mechanism.

Given that the IC houses compressed air, I'm sure there is always going to be a chance of a leak. However, I would imaging other parts of the turbo housing would more likely be prone to leaking vs. a crack in the IC.

Ken
    Okay so the 05 Legacy GT has an "air to air" intercooler were compressed air travels through the inside (turbo charged air) and the hood scoop lets outside air run across the intercooler grill (or radiator kind of thing) to take away heat.

So that leaves me to the next question? I was checking out the Legacy's intercooler and it looked like it had a few little dents in the intercooler "grill".. is that a big deal.. they seem very fragile.. How much would it take to cause a leak in an intercooler? how easy would it be to tell if there is a leak?
    Okay so the 05 Legacy GT has an "air to air" intercooler were compressed air travels through the inside (turbo charged air) and the hood scoop lets outside air run across the intercooler grill (or radiator kind of thing) to take away heat.

So that leaves me to the next question? I was checking out the Legacy's intercooler and it looked like it had a few little dents in the intercooler "grill".. is that a big deal.. they seem very fragile.. How much would it take to cause a leak in an intercooler? how easy would it be to tell if there is a leak?
  • tiger10tiger10 Member Posts: 46
    hey, do you think the AWD Outback will be good for beach driving?
    thanks- Tiger10
    thepdmm: No, the small dents in the intercooler radiator fins aren't cause for alarm. The fins themselves don't carry any compressed air -- they are molded to the IC plumbing. If you were to have a leak, you'd notice a drop in power. Why the nervousness about getting a leak?

tiger10: Air down the tires a bit and the OB should be great for beach driving.

Ken
    well because I am trying to educate myself on the car.. and I have never had a car with an IC and I was checking it out, and the above questions are what I came up with.. I think I am about to buy one (it is coming from a differant dealer soon) so I am not a "proud owner" as of yet.. just an anxious wannabe so far.. so in the mean time I have been educating myself about things I don't know a whole lot about..

but thanks for the info kens!
    My '98 Forester drove very nicely on the beach. I have slightly wider than stock tires but less clearance than the new Outbacks, so I think they'd be OK at least on flat surfaces.

I'd worry about sharp inclines because of the angles of approach/departure, but other than that the AWD system is certainly capable.

Pic for fun.

-juice
  • rbyrdrbyrd Member Posts: 7
    I tried to install a 6 disc CD/cassette player in my legacy and when I plugged the male end into the radio the CD partially cycled and will not reset to accept a CD. Is there a re-set or perhaps a secret way to get this corrected ?
    Is it a new or used radio? Rob M.
    It's used but it was working when I took it out of our 96 Legacy. btw - it's a in-dash unit. not the one that goes under the passenger seat. While installing in the 2000 legacy, I heard it start to cycle when I plugged in the harness.
    Was there a CD in the unit? You may have to take it apart to eject the CD. I believe the harnesses are the same, so it should be plug and play. Rob M.
    Before removing the unit from your '96, you did eject all the CDs?
    After plugging the unit to your '00, the unit cycled but does not except CDs.
    Did you push the "LOAD" button?

-Dave
    Yes, I removed all of the CD's before taking it out of the 96. Holy CRAP - I didn't even see the load button. I'm going out right now & try it. I know the radio played & I think I played the cassette.
    Dave & Rob - Thanks a $100 - That's what I was going to spend to get another Radio/CD/Cassette. Dave, I plugged it in and pushed the load button and guess what happened ? The darn thing loaded and played. I guess the problem was me not driving my wife's car often enough.

THANKS AGAIN
    Dick Byrd
    Ohio
    hee hee
    Glad to help stir the memory ;)

-Dave
    Dave, Thanks for not laughing any harder or longer. I really feel dumb, I had that darn thing in & out 4 different times. I drive her car maybe twice a year & I never once thought about the load button. When I bought the '00' it had a AM/FM/CD/Cassette/weather band but I wanted her to have the 6 disc player out of the 96. She like's Van Clyburn (she plays piano at church) and has 5 of his CD's in the car.
    Well, I'm happy now & hopefully she is also.

Thanks Again,
    Dick
    Sort of reminded me of myself :D

Swapped my 6 in-dash for a aftermarket. Sured up everything, packed, taped, and stowed the OEM unit in the closet only to remember then that I forgot to remove all the CDs from the unit. :cry:
    Out came the box, unpacked, undo the aftermarket install, get the old unit plugged in to get the CDs out and redo everything. :sick:

-Dave
    Glad to help! I'll split the $100 with Dave for consulting fees. Rob M.