Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• annandale2annandale2 Member Posts: 1
    This forum has exposed my ignorance; I had no idea that one could purchase an extended warranty from another dealer and that prices varied so widely.
    We are just beginning the search for a Legacy wagon in California and I would greatly appreciate tips on where to look for alternative warranty providers...names, websites, or anything else helpful. Thanks.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    certain subaru parts sellers like subaruwrxparts.com sell the Subaru ext warranty on line, also Curry Subaru in MA used to have a website doing so which doesn't seem to be up right now but you could probably contact them by phone, they had lower prices than subaruwrxparts.com. I got the one from Curry for my WRX. it was a breeze dealing with them, literally gave them VIN and name, address, they send you the Subaru paperwork to sign (and pay!) and you receive the warranty paperwork direct from SOA.

when I was getting my WRX ext warranty, 2 local delaers were willing to match Currys price (but not the dealer I purchased from!), both of those willing to deal wanted me to come into the dealership, since all I had to do was send the paperwork back to Curry in the SAE they sent it was a pretty easy decision. When I got my Tribeca, the selling dealer matched the Curry on line price.

if you do get one just make sure you get a real subaru one and not some other aftermarket one, some of the biggest names in aftermarket warranties went out of business a few years ago leaving a lot of people in trouble
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, Warranty Gold went under and those are no longer worth the paper they're printed on.

Stick with a Subaru Gold, you get free roadside assistance, cooperation from the 800-SUBARU3 people, and a guarantee that they'll use OE parts and trained dealership staff to fix the issue rather than some fly-by-night lo-budget place.

-juice
  • chrisl22chrisl22 Member Posts: 24
    I was told that the base asking price for Subaru Gold warranties would increase on June 1. Does anyone know if that happened?
    Not sure...
    No, there was no price increase on June 1st, I just found out.

Make sure you ask for Subaru Added Security, that's the new "name" for the OE warranty. The others are really just insurance policies, a la Warranty Gold, i.e. down the tubes.

-juice
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,789
    Wow! That sounds like quite a chore. From a "pondering it" standpoint, it seems plausible as long as you transfer all of the control mechanisms and sensors that interact with the ECU's engine management. Sounds like far more trouble than it is worth to me, but then again, all projects like this are except to the person doing it! You would probably get more feedback to also post your question on a modification thread or forum like legacygt.com or similar.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    has anyone seen the video , filmed in a scandinavian country that pits an outback against the V70 awd. It consisted of two runs, up a muddy incline, with and without a towed load. In both cases the outback reached the summit, but the volvo failed in both. Is the video real, the Volvo only managed to reach about 1/3 or 1/4 of the way up the slope.Is the haldex system they use so inferior to subarus awd system. I've watched the video several times, it really shows the superiority of subaru awd vs haldex.
  • mike1944mike1944 Member Posts: 16
    have read rumours of a legacy hybrid, for 2007, is the correct, is a hybrid forthcoming.
  • carolynnccarolynnc Member Posts: 2
    I'm not sure if this is the place to ask this type question but I sure would like a more knowledgeable opinion than mine. I own a 96 subaru legacy wagon with a bad motor. The dealer has estimated a cost of $2200 to replace it with a used motor. I figured that was too much money to invest in a car that old. I also own a 04 subaru legacy wagon and handed this one down to my son to drive. He needs a car to drive to work so I thought I'd find him a used car. Unfortunately I haven't found anything under $3000 with decent mileage. My son's a recent high school graduate working a part-time job. He says he's going to join the service. Since he's not sure what he wants to do when he grows up I don't want to co-sign a loan for a more expensive car. After looking at the cars out there I'm beginning to wonder if the devil I know is a better option than the one I don't. Does anyone think it's worth fixing this car? I know you don't know anything about this specific car but I'd welcome any opinions. It's been regularly maintained but has had several engine leak repairs. I don't think there is anything else major wrong with it but when a car gets that old just about anything can go wrong.
    The URL expired, I had it bookmarked but it no longer works. I'm sure they got a lot of hate mail from Volvo fans, that Outback simply owned the Volvo. :D

Hybrid in 2007? No way, no how they could get one here that fast. Some 2007 models are already in dealers, Foresters for instance. We've even seen the face-lifted Legacy and Outback, which will debut here in 2008, and there are no signs of a hybrid powertrain.

Whether they do diesel or hybrid, I think it will be 2-3 years at the very least.

If the interior and body of that '96 are in good shape, I think it may be worth it. The EJ22 motor is generally very durable so if you get a rebuilt one, especially with a warranty, I think the $2200 is easily worth it.

Look at it this way, the average new car payment is $400 or more. So you're only talking about 5-6 months' worth of car payments. The car will surely last longer than that.

I say go for it, i.e. fix it.

-juice
    Yeah, I have to go with Juice on this one. It depends a lot on the condition of the rest of the car's mechanics, not even so much the aesthetics or the interior. If you can reasonably run it a minimum of another 6 months to a year without an additional repair, then you are far ahead, especially if the seller of that replacement warrants it for 12 months / 12K, which is typical. Is this used engine a rebuilt or just "used?" If just used, then all bets are off unless it is has a warranty. If it is rebuilt, well, honestly - the same unless it has a warranty, but if done correctly has a good chance of giving you many years of service. The EJ22 will last a long time, the EJ25 is more problematic (and I am guessing that is the one you have in it now). I have 208K on mine now and still running, so they can take the miles, they just need extra loving.....
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    that was apparently a early V70 with the non haldex system. IIRC the haldex came a year or two after the AWD V70 came out. what system they used initially I dunno.
    Some swedish consumer organization almost got into a court battle with Volvo over the lousy early AWD system as they really panned it badly in the scandinavian press and Volvo cried foul.
  • carolynnccarolynnc Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to you both. It sounds like I need to get more information from the dealer. I actually don't know if the engine is used or rebuilt. I also don't know if it comes with a warranty. It's been a great car with few problems other than engine issues. I've had leaks repaired twice and it developed another leak. Since I bought a new car I just warned my son to keep tabs on the oil level. He just did a recent oil change on it. He wanted to learn how to do his own maintenance. I guess he might have done something wrong or it just may have been time for it to blow up.

I've had all major services with normal maintenance repairs expected for a car with 189000 miles. It does have some minor body damage as a result of a learning teenage driver but it's never been in a major wreck. It ran great up to the minute it blew whatever it blew. I think I'll have a chat with the mechanic that checked it out when it was towed in. Maybe he can give me an opinion on the mechanical condition.

Thanks again for the advice. Anything else I should check out before I decide?
    What else to check? A gut check.

Go with your gut. If you feel like the car will last, go for it.

We had a '95 626 and it kept breaking on us, 5 times in two years, $2500 later I went with my gut - and got rid of it!

But if yours has been good to you, and it just needs the engine, I would keep it.

-juice
    Out of curiosity, I would want to know what is actually wrong with it. Granted, at 189K, even a head gasket might trigger a mechanic to say "replace the engine," but still, I am curious, so I would want to know.

Some things whose condition you might want to ascertain in particular - CV joints, auto tranny (or clutch if manual), differentials, brakes, steering linkages, air conditioning system, maybe alternator. These all wear with use and time, so if any of them might go a short time after a repair, then better to know up front.

Really, it will come down to the ol' gut. Whatever brings you the most peace of mind is the route to take. My guess, from what you have said, is that you will not find another car near the repair cost of your '96 that will bring you as much peace of mind as just repairing it.
  • PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    The Crew chat will be open shortly. Just click that link in the left sidebar to join us for the fun.
  • angelobanjoangelobanjo Member Posts: 14
    I’ve been a lurker here for a while and wanted to thank all the big posters for their insight. We just got a 2006 XT limited black on black (with tinting of course) and it’s a blast. When testing out the 3.0 in the mountains here in Colorado compared to the XT, the low end torque and “fun” element made the decision pretty easy.

Took it for a nice road trip this weekend and jumped off the road on some four wheel drive only forest roads. Man, the thing works in the mud and ruts! Even forded a few streams and passed a big 4x4 crawling along!

Eagerly awaiting some snow to play in this fall. Instead of leasing again, we bought this car and look forward to years of fun.
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Congrats to you! MT or AT? Enjoy it.

Mark
  • angelobanjoangelobanjo Member Posts: 14
    Automatic--finally had to give into reality with kids and city driving. It's just not that fun in bumper to bumper traffic with a manual. I guess the only up side is that it will be better for the slow crawls on the rough trails...

Angelo
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    I know that feeling. That's one of the reasons I switched to an auto as well. I miss the MT, except when sitting in traffic for a hour ;) .

Another upside that others have told me is that it is far easier to tow stuff with an AT.

Once again, enjoy! (BTW - I like your choice of color as well. Only problem is it is a pain to keep clean.)

Mark
  • acoronisacoronis Member Posts: 4
    My car (1993 Subabru Legact Sedan) was running fine and then once I parked, the car died, and will not start again, it sounds like it's not getting gas and I replaced the fuel filter, but it's still just grinding. It should have enough gas, and has enough oil, and the battery has full power. I don't know what's wrong and I am scared that it will cost a fortune to find out!

Any suggestions??? :mad:
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    Hi,
    My daughter stepped on the cup holder in the back of our '03 Legacy spec. ed. wagon. The dealer says it'll cost 100.00 to replace. Any where on line you recommend for spare parts that might cost me less?
    Thanks,
    cdndriver
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Try subaruparts.com. They are a dealer out of Tacoma, WA which does a lot of on-line business. Rob M.
  • ozman62ozman62 Member Posts: 229
    John, it might be worth your while to check auto wreckers in your area as well. I'm sure it's a part you could replace yourself, and it's likely common on all Legacy wagons (and maybe sedans) of that generation. Hope this helps.
    Owen
    If you live in New England, these guys have spares:

http://www.fsautoparts.com/

-juice
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    There's also www.1stsubaruparts.com in Auburn, Washington. They accept Subarubucks too.

Jim
    Yes they do, in fact I've used them.

-juice
  • andmifandmif Member Posts: 2
    I am trying to decide on a subaru for ~20K and it may sound strange, but right now my choice is between newer 2005-06 standard and 2004 35th Anniversary edition. Both cars are used with low (~10k) miles on it. I know that std one is 4 cyl vs H6 in 2004 model, and my initial choice was hands down 6 cyl model (I am driving v6 accord now and I got used to some power in engine). I did test drive 2002 4 cyl outback and it didn't feel much underpowered, but not sure if I can trust these short test drives.
    Anyway after reading these forums I got impression that 2005 models have a lot improvements over prev years including more efficient engine and auto-manual transmission and thought I should consider getting newer model instead of H6 engine. Main reasons for going with 4 cyl seem tobe: ability to manual shift eliminates underpowered question, better mpg, more warranty left with newer year.
    Or am I just confused and 35th edition model is way better and clean choice? Any suggestions?
    Please help to choose.

Thank you
    ~andrey
    For only a bit more than $20k, you could probably get a new base model OB or Legacy after rebates.

Jim
    Yeah, I'd shop for a new 2.5i SE model, those are very well priced. Low $19k range for a sedan, low $20s for a wagon.

-juice
  • andmifandmif Member Posts: 2
    Looks like there are no voices for older H6 engine.
    I guess I'll go and do more testing side by side to make sure I am happy with 4 cylinders.
    Thank you, Jim and Juice
    juice and I have been with Subaru Crew since before it became the "Crew". I recall very few issues with the H6 engine. I'd say it's Subaru's most bulletproof engine if you are going to go used. With your budget, I think you are just in the ballpark for a new Subaru after the rebate.

It's a difficult decision! Best of luck.

Jim
  • nickelnickel Member Posts: 147
    I posted on the Prices Paid forum more on the experience, but for you to know that I got an '06 Outback 2.5i Auto, weather mats, cargo area cover, mat and net, autodimming mirror and 2 years free maintenance, for $21,836.
  • djettadjetta Member Posts: 22
    Hi all-I need an opinion, please. I will be picking up my new Outback LL Bean next week. Is the sound much improved with the woofer and is it worth the expense? Also, I know it goes under the driver's seat-can you feel it and is it annoying when driving? Thanks!
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    Huge difference in sound, and well worth the cost. Rob M.
    It's not the H6 per se, it's just used vs. new, I prefer new. Especially when Subies don't really depreciate much.

The H6 (EZ30) is a gem of an engine.

-juice
  • luvmbootyluvmbooty Member Posts: 271
    I live in NYC. Not sure if I want sedan or wagon. Just using mostly for back and forth to work. Have 2 kids, sometimes 3 (ages 13,9,3). Second car is 2006 RAV4 w/3rd row.

Want something with good city gas mileage. Also considering Toyota Matrix, Honda Civic, and Mazda 3.

Don't have much of a choice with my requirements. I want a car with good city mileage and good crash test scores and isn't a chick-mobile.

Matrix and Civic I think is a little fem. Mazda is border line on fem. I think the Legacy sedan is my favorite for style.

City gas mileage is good with all with Legacy being the lowest.

Crash tests are excellent with Civic and Legacy. Not so great with other two.

The drive with the Matrix is the worst, according to critics. Legacy's drive is supposed to be descent. Civic has a excellent drive and the 3 is sporty. What do you guys think? :confuse:
  • gjksngjksn Member Posts: 35
    I have almost compulsively recorded the mileage for every tank of gas for every car I've owned since 1969. In practically all city driving, my 2003 Legacy SE 5 speed manual transmission wagon has consistently gotten between 16 and 18 mpg. On rare highway trips, mpg has gone as high as 25-26 mpg. I still love the car, but it sucks gas like an SUV, and I drive like the sterotypical little old (gender irrelevant) person. My 1995 Legacy automatic transmission wagon got almost identical mileage. My 1989 Civic and 1997 Sentra each got mileage at least in the mid-20s in similar driving and conditions. FWIW.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    do not buy AWD.
    If you do most city driving then hybrid might be worth the money.

Krzys
    In strictly city driving, my guess is that 18 is about the best you will see. Subaru is probably not the best choice if gas mileage is a major concern and AWD is not exceptionally important. In this case, you might even be better off considering something like the hybrid Ford Escape. They claim near 36 mpg in strictly city driving, though it drops to around Subaru mileage on the highway (26-27mpg?). Capacity-wise, it would feel somewhat similar to the wagon.
    Hahaha, there's a compact way to restate. :blush:
  • ddunbarddunbar Member Posts: 31
    We get the same mileage on our 2003 Legacy Wagon LE with the automatic transmission -- 16-18 in the city and at best 26 on the highway.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    Polish or English ;-)

Krzys

PS There must be some truth in our statements as they are surprisingly similar.
    The Forester is lighter but I do better in the city, in fact the EPA numbers for mine are about on target (21/27).

I've only dipped below 20mpg twice in 9 years, and both times I was towing a trailer.

-juice
    I guess I could do a lot better gas mileage with other cars. Too bad. I like the Legacy sedan. It's got a classy look, very dependable, strong 4cyl (175 Hp), and good crash tests.

I wonder, if it was made in 2WD, crash test result would change. I figure it might because the loss of weight, but gas mileage would improve. I know you guys like the AWD, just to make a choice between the two, at least for the sedan. I'd be happy with that.

I've researched a little more and I also like the Mazda 3 5 door. Crash tests aren't nearly as good. The Civic is having problems. The Impreza also has AWD and I think the Legacy's a better looking sedan. The Prius is too expensive (going for MSRP and above). The Chevy Cobalt, I hear, is not reliable. The Mini Cooper is TOO small and uses premium gas! I think the Corolla is a bit too femme. The VW New Beetle is also WAY too femme and too small. The Ford Focus also too femme and not as good of a reliability record as the 3. The Suzuki Aerio also isn't reliable, gets a POOR side crash rating even with side airbags, and the 3 is better overall. The Mitsubishi Lancer has the same crash test rating as the 3 by IIHS but the 3 has a better ride and fit and finish according to Edmunds and Consumer Reports. All other rated small cars by IIHS are too risky.

If only the Legacy came in 2WD! :cry::cry::cry:
  • mpansare1mpansare1 Member Posts: 29
    Hey luvmbooty, you're doing too much research (as if that's not good). By the time you finish, all the 2006s will be gone. :blush: The regular Legacy SE sedan will give you decent gas mileage. My new SE wagon is giving me 30-31 mpg hwy, no lead foot or overly aggressive driving (70 mph max), regular gas. I never go by the trip computer - I just do plain old math. Go buy the car and fuhget 'bout it.... :shades:
    Almost all my driving is city driving. Do you think the 2007 will be much different?
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    Have you estimated the operating cost impact of fuel milage? Assuming you drive 15K miles a year and that gas costs $3/gallon, a 10 mpg difference in fuel economy amounts to $750/year or just over $60/month more. Could you justify going with a lesser featured and less crashworthy vehicle for this difference?

$60/month is not trivial but neither is vehicle content and safety! If you can swing it, I'd get the Legacy. :-)

Ken
    Yes, I think I would have to offer similar advice.

Do not settle for a vehicle. Decide on your priorites and which vehicles you would like to own. Rank them based on priority, test-drive the subset that makes the cut, and then buy the one with which you are most content.

I think that if you end up buying something for which you settle, you will end up with buyer's remorse and/or prematurely trading it for something different. In the grand scheme of things, fuel economy is just one factor and is often not even the most expensive one. Heck, insurance can have greater disparity than fuel operating cost. It sounds to me like safety equipment / rating is your #1 concern, so rank it accordingly.