Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    my crummy 95 Windstar had a feature which turned off all interior lights after about 10 minutes and a chime for the headlight. Our 00 Venture had auto on headlights (so my wife never turned it on unless it was raining etc) and had the same interior auto turn off lights. Toyota were obviously trying to save a buck. Unfortunately I had to get the LE as I had to have 8 seats and the Toyota is the only real mccoy for that as the Odys 8th seat is for dwarfs.
  • reusareusa Member Posts: 2
    I was driving one night and stopped at a set of lights. As I was waiting for the lights to
    change the engine completely turned off. It was like I ran out of fuel all
    of a sudden. So I started the engine again and it started as if there was no
    problems. All the warning lights went out and there seemed to be nothing
    wrong with it. As I was continuing to drive I noticed the tacho needle to
    suddenly rise to 1500 rpm and then dramatically drop below 500 rpm after soon
    returning just below 750rpm. This only occurred when the vehicle was
    stationary. It also sputters along at this event until you get it to 40-50. Then there is no problems. On other days it drives fine. It is intermittant. Seems to be happening more frequestly. The vehicle is a four speed automatic if that is of any
    assistance. Can anyone tell me what the hell is going on with my engine? Any
    help will be greatly appreciated.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Could be any one of a number of problems. I'd start with fuel filter, then plugs, wires, coil pack, and finally after that a MAF or MAS sensor issue.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • nornetnornet Member Posts: 24
    What model/year and mileage?
  • reusareusa Member Posts: 2
    It is a 1995 Legacy. It has 170,000 miles. Full tuneup done at 125,000. Dealership has no clue until it does it in the shop. It is so intermittnat that I cant reproduce it at will. One mechanic verifed it and thought that they had it. Carbon in the ?? it didn't work.

RE
    2.2 or 2.5 engine?

-mike
  • outback04outback04 Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 Outback's (LL Bean Edition) engine always smells hot when I turn it off. It's not running hot per the gauge, and I've had it checked (dealers and independent service folks) several times. Is this common of this car, as it's been happening since I first got it? It just seems like it is melting in there! I'm almost up on my lease and contemplating buying it, so I want to know if this is common...normal.

Thanks!
  • steveknystevekny Member Posts: 6
    Well, I'm going to stick my neck out here and recommend that you walk away. I'm guessing that you have around 50 or 60 K on the thing, and that's about when the check engine light starts to come on for various reasons, when main seals begin to leak, and sooner or later the head gaskets will blow.
    My Outback has one redeeming quality: it is simply phenomenal in the snow. Other than that, though, it's been nothing short of a series of niggling problems punctuated by major, expensive hassles. I keep mine because I fix it myself (and have more $$ into than I could ever get back by selling), but I spend more time under the hood on that car than I do on all my other cars combined. I have a 4Runner of the same vintage and mileage (140K) that has required nothing more than routine maintenance and runs as well as the day I bought it. Not so for the Subie.
    I'd trade it in for a RAV4 and have a trouble free blast.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    And you might end up with a problematic RAV4, too. Engine hesitation, transmission hesitation, just to name a few.

No vehicle is perfect.

PS I own a Subaru and a Toyota, before anyone screams bias.
    Your engine IS HOT under the hood. It is about 175-200 degrees. So I'm not sure why you are suprised that it's HOT!

As for reliability?

I have a 1994 Legacy Turbo w/150k original miles on it, the last 25k miles have been on track being pushed to it's limit at or near redline the whole time. Routine maintenance is all we've done....

-mike
  • ic_designeric_designer Member Posts: 28
    The H6 3.0 engine in LL Bean Edition of Outback (00 - 04 Year) does not have head gasket issue like in H4. As for smelling hot, it is difficult to quantify with sensory skill. I would trust the temperature gauge. So far, I have done only routine maintenance on my 02 LL Bean and am happy with the car.

Alland
    I'm not surprised that it is hot, as I am fully aware that an engine is hot under the hood. However, I have been surprised at the smell (as have my husband and father). This is the first car I've had (out of 6) that had smelled as if the engine/oil is is burning when I shut off the engine.
    Thanks for your thoughts and information on your car.
    Thanks so much!
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Take a look under the car and check for any signs of oil leaks - especially anything that might be dripping on the exhaust system. Additionally, if there was an oil change recently, there might have been something dripped or smeared on the exhaust.

Boxer engines are sensitive to oil over-fills; if that happened at any point then there is a chance that one or more seals/gaskets could be developing a leak.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    I received this notice this morning from Joe Spitz at Carter Subaru, in case anyone in the Seattle area is interested:

"Sunday Feb 24th we're having a free Child Seat inspection from 10am-2pm. There will be experts here to make sure that the child seat is properly fit in your car. It's from 10-2 and food will be served (!), and it's First Come, First Served so arriving early is a good idea!! It's in our Quick Service building next door and there will lots of room for you and kids."

I will not vouch for the grammar, but there you have it nonetheless.

Have a great weekend, folks!

-Wes-
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • daytonbulldogdaytonbulldog Member Posts: 2
    I've read about a lot of problems with head gaskets and catalytic converters in the 00-03 range. I am looking to buy a used legacy but don't want to up the price to an 04 do the previous models eg 95-99 era have better reliability in this area? I've also looked at some vehicle which have already had these items fixed. Is this a one time fix or a potentially reocurring problem due to design flaw? Any input or experiences is appreciated. Thanks
  • porlandoporlando Member Posts: 2
    Hello,
    I'm thinking about buying a Legacy or a Forester 1998-2000 less than 80,000 miles, I have several options in my areas, but suddenly I'm hearing head gaskets rumors. Are those serious?
    What else should I been concerned with these two cars. I know anything can go wrong with used cars, I'm talking about problems specific to those two models
    Thanks
    Phil
    It depends - the revised gasket material is better, but you want to make sure that block never overheated severely. It's an alloy block.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Not sure how widespread the issue was, but yes, those early DOHC 2.5 Subies from that timeframe were prone to head gasket failures.

Bob
  • porlandoporlando Member Posts: 2
    Well, that's pretty bad, I'm not sure I want to risk having a head gasket failure. That's a serious repair.
    Phil
    Yep; it is spendy if you have a shop do it. For a DIY, the repair is insanely cheap and takes, oh, about 18 hours for a novice from start to finish. I think that eventually the majority of these cars will end up in the hands of mechanics or DIY's, for whom the repair costs are minimal and infrequent. They are fantastic cars, but they do have a few weak spots that must be addressed.
  • daytonbulldogdaytonbulldog Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the advice. Is there any good way to tell if the engine has been overheated other than driveability and a visual inspection?
    You could try a compression test on the cylinders. Look for no more than 10% variation from cylinder to cylinder.

If the seal is bad, it will likely fail that test.
  • bflynn22bflynn22 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased an 08 OB 2.5i and the AM Radio Reception is awful. Aside from the poor overall sound quality, it seems like every time i hit a bump i get static... is this normal for outbacks? Or do i have a loose connection somewhere? If this is normal, has anyone installed an aftermarket antenna to improve the reception... Also, am planning on tinting the rear windows.. Will this further reduce the reception..

FYI, < 1,000 miles on my ride and car is currently at the dealership having a bad bearing replaced.
  • blackbeanblackbean Member Posts: 100
    I have an 02 Bean (85k) and recently started smelling a "hot" burning smell (oil or ATF is my guess) after longer car drives. After the last oil change, there were a few drops of oil on the garage floor and I brought back to the dealer. They said the oil level was "high, but not overfilled" and that some oil may have been forced out the dipstick and landed on the exhaust (hence, the hot burning smell). They only wiped off the underpart of the engine ans sent me on my way. I still get a faint hot/burning smell (grr!). I am now due for another oil change and will see if the smell goes away with a proper oil change.
    Hope that helps.
    Matt
    Could also be the CV joint grease. This is usually the case if you only smell it on long drives as it takes a while for the cv grease to heat up and start to flow out a cracked boot and drip onto the exhaust.

-mike
    Good point, inspect the boots to make sure they're not torn.

Our 626 had a torn boot and leaked grease. It made a mess. The wheel, the wheel well, and eventually even an oxygen sensor were damaged.
  • parrett2parrett2 Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if anyone knew if the 98 Subraru Legacy Outback Unlimited were ever recalled for wireing problems? Here's the deal...I bought this car from a private owner and it has been the biggest pain in the butt...i have had so many problems with it and i have taken it to somone to look at it a few times and they cant tell me anything. The last time i got it fixed the next day it wouldnt start. It's been out of commission now for about 6 months and noone seems why it wont get spark to start....I have changed a lot of things on this car and still nothing.......I have taken it to 3 or 4 different people that is supposed to know about Subaru's and they still dont know.......Does anyone know or maybe can think of anything that may help in to start this car? It wants to start but there is no spark there for some reasonand i changed the coil pack thinkling it was that and its not......they changed all the wires and plugs and still nothing......If somone can help please do! thanks...
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Are you sure you're getting fuel into the cylinder?
    That i dont know ....Im assuming there is gas getting in there as they also changed the fuel filter when they were trying to fix it.........This is bumming me out as noone seems to know what the heck is going on and why its not starting..... :mad: there is just no spark getting in there to start for some reason and was wondering if anyone knew if the 98's were recalled or not or if its just somthing else.... :cry:
  • corygoosecorygoose Member Posts: 1
    Send a private message to corygoose Find all posts by corygoose Reply With Quote
    I need help with my odometer on my car. I had to change the whole dash out because the speedometer died. Now the mileage on the car say 113,000, but there is actually 140,000. Is there anyway to raise the mileage on the speedometer to make say the right amount of miles?
    I don't think so - otherwise people could do the reverse, to reduce the mileage.

In my state you can do to the DMV and basically fill out a form that states the true mileage. Look into that, perhaps.
  • chartierschartiers Member Posts: 6
    Hi Guys, Just got a 1992 Subaru Legacy wagon with 86K miles on it. It runs good and I have not noticed any problems so far. It appears to be in good shape but I don't know much about Subaru's.

It just passed vehicle inspection, at a shop I know, so hopefully the safety stuff is good.

I want to bring it up to a known state of maintenance as I plan on keeping it a long time. So far I've changed the plugs, wires, oil, fuel filter, air filter, changed a couple of vacuum hoses, cleaned the MAF sensor, have new fan belts ready to go on, and adjusted the air pressure in the tires.

It's going in the shop next week to have the auto transmission serviced. After that, I may have them change the timing belt. I think the A/C is still running on R12?

Are there other things I should do, or check, on a Subaru with this age and mileage? Helpful hints on things to watch out for would be appreciated. Jim
    Front and Rear differentials (On an AT the front Diffy has it's own resivoir) would be just about the only thing I'd add to your list. You may also want to flush/drain-fill the coolant as well.

-mike
  • chartierschartiers Member Posts: 6
    I'll have the shop check the differentials since they will be doing auto trans service next week. The coolant looks real clean so I suspect it's been done recently.

I'm almost afraid to ask the shop how much it would cost to do a timing belt. I know a lot is based on labor rates, but do you have an idea of a ballpark cost, and does Subaru recommend you change the water pump and/or seals at the same time? Jim
    Should be about $500 for the timing belt and water pump all said and done. It should be done at 60k intervals, You can check it by taking the plastic cover off the front of the engine on one side to see if it's cracked etc.

-mike
  • drdave1drdave1 Member Posts: 1
    on occasion after the car has been running and you shut it off to go to gas station, store, etc when you come out it will not start -- about 5-10 minutes then it will start and run fine. Did finally have it happen to me at home so I was able to check a few things and found I had no spark. I checked the computer for codes -- no codes present at that time. Tried to restart it and it started and has been running fine since. I know there is a problem since it has been happening off and on for a couple of months. Any help on this situation would be appreciated.
  • driverightdriveright Member Posts: 91
    I don't know much about Subaru's

One thing you want to know about Subaru is that they offer a credit card which applies 3% of your credit card purchases to maintenance at a dealer, as well as purchases and leases of new cars or CPO cars. Reportedly, some dealers will let you apply the vouchers to tire purchases also. The limit is $500 yearly and each $100 voucher is good for 4 years. By the time my 5-year service is due in June, I should have enough vouchers to cover the entire (major) maintenance expense. This is the link: link title
    I have that Chase Subaru card, it's brilliant.

We've used $400 already, and saved up another $1600, which we will use to buy a Forester soon.

Basically we hit the $500 cap for each of the 4 years we've had it. My wife uses the card for business expenses, most of them reimbursed, so it's like free money! Woot! :shades:
    hello there...I was wondering if you were able to figure out your car??? I have a 98 and it doesnt start either and has no spark...we have replaced a lot of things on it also and still nothing.....Please let me know if you figure out yours so I can let the person trying to fix it know.........I just hope its nothing serious.....Please let me know.....thank you...
  • feliciatwofeliciatwo Member Posts: 68
    Hi , I plan to sell my Outback because I use it less often than my toyota Van (for work purposes)and want to save of for a Diesel when they come out in 2010.
    I live in Ft. Lauderdale where you don't see many Subarus. When I was in Ashville, NC about 1/3 of every car on the road was not only a subaru OUTBACK, it was the same color as mine. Quite an unusual experience. Wondered if I should try to sell it up there...and how having never sold one by myself OR out of state. Is it worth it?
    Car is in excellant shape. Brand new Kuhmo tires, leather, 10 spker upgraded wonderful radio,ONLY 19,000 miles. I would supply any records. so, ...
    what are your best results in selling online; which sites etc.?
  • steveknystevekny Member Posts: 6
    Are the radiator and heater hoses good?
    Check the axle boots for cracks or tears and replace them ASAP to prevent CV joint damage.
    If the inspection didn't include it, check the rubber brake lines for cracks or bulges and replace as needed, and in any case bleed the old fluid out of the brake system. If you have the timing belt done have them do the water pump at the same time (which will also get you new coolant).
    -Steve
    There will be more buyers, but there also might be more sellers.

Can't hurt to try, I suppose.

If you sell it in Florida, put something like "Great traction in the rain" in the ad.
  • levell1levell1 Member Posts: 2
    HI. I HAVE DONE THE BASIC PART CHANGES, GASKETS, ALT, STARTER, ETC. HOWEVER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW SHOULD I BE AFRAID TO ATTEMPT CHANGING THE TIMING BELT. MY RESEARCH INDICATES THAT IT WOULD BE WELL WORTH IT. HOWEVER I CAN ONLY IMAGINE WHAT A MECHANIC WOULD CHARGE, MUCH LESS BEING ABLE TO PAY IT. IT'S NOT THAT I'M AFRAID BECAUSE I LOVE THE CHALLENGE AND I DON'T USUALLY BACK DOWN. I JUST DON'T WANT TO BITE OFF MORE THAN I CAN CHEW AS THIS IS MY ONLY VEHICLE WHICH I LOVE. THANK YOU.
  • tedchorlyonetedchorlyone Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

I have a problem. The headlights won't work on my outback, but the high-beams do. All fuses are good, haven't tried replacing the headlight relays yet, but I don't really know if that's the problem.

The switch is on for the lights, running lights go on, fog lights go on, and the high beams work, but the regular headlights won't come on. I don't get anything from jiggling the switch or moving wires around by the fuse box either...

Please help, I'm very confused, and I really don't want to drive at night without headlights (otherwise I'll be blinding everyone with the brights).

Thanks!
    --Josh
    Sounds like the bulbs are blown. The high beams are seperate, so it looks like just the low beams blew out. Try new bulbs.
  • tedchorlyonetedchorlyone Member Posts: 5
    I'll try that out. I had always assumed low and high beams were on the same bulb, just different power levels or something... haha...

Seemed strange that they both went out at once, if that's the case... They're relatively new. About 3 -5 months old... But, I think it happened around the time that I was checking fuses to make sure nothing was blown out, so maybe I messed something up doing that causing them both to blow out or something...

Anyway, I'll try new bulbs and see if that does it. I really hope that's all it is.
    In some cases it is the same bulb, but with 2 filaments. Other Subarus have 2 seperate bulbs.

It's common for both sides to go at roughly the same time. I had a set that blew within a week of each other after 8 years or so.
  • dbike1dbike1 Member Posts: 7
    Usually, both lights do not go out at once.

Have you ever noticed how many cars are driving around with only one operational light? In general, one headlight gives enough light to drive by, and it is often difficult to tell (from the inside of the car) that a light has burned out. So you drive around unaware of the problem until the second one burns out. It is difficult to miss that event.

If both lights did burn out simultaneously, it is probably due to a larger electrical issue.

Are you aware that the Outback has a third pair of light (fog lights mounted down low)? I almost never use them, but they can be called into service to act as low-beams. They only work when you are using the low-beams

DB
  • levell1levell1 Member Posts: 2
    GRAZIE, EH?