Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• barbieb131barbieb131 Member Posts: 1
    Add me to the clutch shuddering club...
    2000 Outback Limited Wagon, 32,xxx miles

It's most pronounced in 1st gear when the engine is cold, like most people have said. We've had it back to the dealer 3-4 times for a check, but they always say they can't duplicate the problem.

Like bbrandle from this morning's post, we've always had manual transmissions and haven't had any trouble, so I doubt it's our driving. Our other car ('98 Passat GLX 5-speed) has no problem either.

Barbara
  • web3web3 Member Posts: 10
    Add us to the list of chattering clutch owners. We have an '02 OB Limited with 7700 miles. The clutch chatters intermittently in 1st when cold. We have had Honda sticks for years so I don't think it is bad driving habits. It seems like there are enough owners with this problem to warrant a response from the factory.
  • subaru_teamsubaru_team Member Posts: 1,676
    Hi all! FYI - if there is a characteristic of the car that you do not like, I'd like to recommend that you follow the steps indicated above:

Notify your dealer and let them test drive and check out the car to confirm the condition.

If you are not satisfied with the explanation you receive, please contact us at 1-800-SUBARU3. The Representative will create a case file documenting your displeasure.

We report all customer commentary to various folks around SOA. FHI will often try to find a countermeasure to improve the characteristic, but it can take a bit for them to gather enough data. It's still worth the effort because we take the comments seriously.

Thanks.

Patti
  • lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    The dealer in Ann Arbor, Michigan is offering the base Outback at 5% over invoice. Edmund's TMV indicates 2% over.

Doeas anyone have a recommended strategy for this deal?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Do you have other dealers near you? Try an e-mail request for quotes, or check the papers for any dealers that have a no-haggle policy.

5% over is IMO way, way high. Outbacks have a $500 dealer incentive, so you should see prices below the invoice price, not above it.

fitzmall.com is in MD but check them out for comparison's sake.

-juice
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Mark,
    If you get the skid plates from primitive, we can put it on @ a Install-fest at my house. I want to have one soon to put in my PS pump and lines and Bedabi has some stuff to install etc.

-mike
  • eric102eric102 Member Posts: 122
    Go to CarsDirect.com and get their price, then subtract $300-$500 (their fee) to get a price that you should be able to negotiate. Right now in my region (Seattle area) you can get an Outback for invoice through CarsDirect.com, so I would be able to get one for about $400 under invoice. CarsDirect notes that there is a manufacture to dealer incentive going on now, they don't say how much, but it must be at least $500.

Eric
  • jeijei Member Posts: 143
    Does the front skidplate have to be removed for oil changes? Does it depend on the model?

John
    From the photos it looks like there are two sections that are plastic or rubber and pop off. I'm sure they are for accessing the drain plug and the oil filter. At least they seem to be in the vicinity.

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Paul does say on his website that you can do the oil change with the skid plate still on. That is one of the things I was hoping to confirm here from anyone who has them.

Mike- Still not sure, but I will decide by this weekend. If I do go for them, an install-fest sounds good to me.

Mark
    SubieGal from i Club has them, maybe you could hop over and ask her?

-juice
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    Thanks Juice,

I'll give it a shot.
  • bbrandlebbrandle Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the advise, Subaru Team. I will give the car to the dealer to hold overnight and test drive in the am when cold. I am most concerned that this will be a problem over the life of the lease (still 27 months to go) and will, in the end, be charged as excessive wear and tear.

I think that I will start a case file as you suggested. Doesn't seem like Subaru has an effective fix for this problem. Is the manual in the WRX designed better? Can't see myself buying the car at the end of the lease if I this problem persists.

Thanks for the attention, in any event. Now if only Volkswagen had customer service like this...
  • mfsbmfsb Member Posts: 17
    New LLB owner. I bought the rear gate bar and find the instructions vague. I would like to hear some pointers from anybody that has installed this before I dive into the project. Is there some place I might find some detailed instructions? Thanks,

Bill
  • oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    How do you remove the grill that covers the fog lamp on an outback? 1999 if it matters. If it is not too difficult, I'd like to remove it to clean the lens.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    you turn the fog light cover counter clockwise a bit to get it to pop off.

somebody will chime in with a '99, but you may want to post over in the Subaru Crew topics (see link at top of page) to get a quicker response.

-Brian
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    John-
    Sad to say :( you can't remove the grille without dismantling the entire fog lamp. That's for MY98 except SUS, I guess it's the same for MY99. Go to the manual for instructions to remove fog lamp. :)

-Dave
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    2k OB Ltd. (auto) is at 3000rpm at 75mph.
  • oregonmanoregonman Member Posts: 60
    Thanks for the info, Brian and Dave. Looks like I have one more reason to trade in my Outback for a new one!
  • senturisenturi Member Posts: 27
    My '02 base Outback has a gouge mark in the speaker grille on the driver's side door. This defect came with the car. Can this part be replaced under the 3 yr 36K warranry? Is the speaker grille easily replaced?

Thanks
  • bhuppertbhuppert Member Posts: 9
    98 Outback left in driveway while out of town for the weekend. Returned Sun. pm and battery was dead. Put charger on it and turn signal bulbs, glove box light, radio lights and instrument lights began flashing and won't stop. They flash for 30 seconds, stop for 7 seconds and continues to repeat the cycle. The hazard signal and all other lights still work. Hopefully there is a simple fix otherwise I see an expensive solution at the dealer.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
    Bob-
    Behind the hood release lever, feel for a (reset) button. Depress the button and all will be well again.

-Dave
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    Bill,
    I installed the bar two years ago on my 2000 OB. I agree: the instructions were useless...less than useless; they were DEAD WRONG! I'm accustomed to this however, so I measured and remeasured before drilling. Its actually a very simple installation, just check the template they provide against the gate bar; make sure the holes line up. You need to pop open the trim panel on the inside of the gate (I seem to recall you use a phillips screwdriver to back-off a few plastic screws and then pop it loose, at any rate, it was straight-forward enough). Drill your holes (go easy, start with a small pilot hole and work up; the sheet metal is thin: 18 gauge/1 mm). Apply a healthy dose of silicone sealer to the inner edge of the drill holes (I smeared it on the back of the foam gasket and anywhere else moisture might reach as well). Finally, as you tighten the bolts (from inside the hatch; through the "tight" cut-outs provided: hope you have small hands) keep an eye on the sheet metal: the ends of the bar...mine anyway...are not cut at the exact same angle as the hatch. If you tighten too much you'll buckle the sheet metal slightly (that's the voice of experience). If you notice any distortion just back off the bolts slightly and the metal should recover. After installing mine I started looking closely at the bars on other cars and found quite a few with that slight bit of distortion. As you can tell, I'm what folks call a "detail freak".
    Good luck,
    YetAnotherDave
    Great excuse to trade it in? LOL!

senturi: maybe that happened during a test drive or something. I'd visit your dealer and see what they can do for you.

-juice
  • bhuppertbhuppert Member Posts: 9
    Dave, thanks for your response but I tried locating a reset button behind the hood release to no avail. Maybe the 98 Outbacks have it located in another place. The lights are still blinking when I reconnect the battery.
    Bob-
    ??? It shouldn't be somewhere else...
    I have a '98 OB too. It's behind the lever in the void. Try to feel around, it's towards the left. It's not a big button.
    Good Luck

-Dave

p/s reset after re-connecting battery :)

OK, anyone with their '98 OB reset switch located in another place?
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Thank you to those who offered advice regarding installing my spoiler on an 01 OB wagon...they proved to be very helpful. I finished the job over the past weekend and it went about as well as I expected. The spoiler looks great, but I ended up breaking off one of the plastic tabs on a trim piece on the inside of the hatch and it's not too solidly attached anymore. Crap. I'll work on it more later. Thanks again!
    Brian
  • kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    Just returned from a week in Hawaii (nice break - it's still in the 40s in Seattle) - imagine my surprise when my rental car turned out to be: a 2002 OB (base) wagon (we own a 2K OB Ltd.)! Even the color was nearly the same - the deep red follow-on to Winestone. I was pleased not to have to locate all the controls - but I had to be careful not to "shift" the auto (especially into "3rd")! Liked the new cupholders, seatback storage and the key light - thought the cargo mat was flimsy, although perhaps more practical with the raised edges. I couldn't detect any difference in seat comfort (some have posted that the leather is more comfy) - thought it odd that cloth seats would have heaters. The auto seemed fine, but confirmed my choice of a 5-speed. Strangely, on a couple of occasions the car was hard to start (obviously not due to cold temps) - mine has never failed to start instantly. It had been sitting out baking in the sun after having been run to full temp. Reminded me of the bad old days of carburetors and vapor lock. Car had only 5K miles on it.

I, too, thought that my OB ran at high RPMs at cruise (compared to other 5-speeds I've had), but it gets decent mileage and is quiet enough, so I don't consider it an issue. I had a 1968 Fiat (with a nifty little 1.2 or 1.3L DOHC engine) that turned 4K at 60 MPH in 4th (no 5th). Ate a set of exhaust valves every 25K as a result. Lots of fun anyway!

I've also noted the cold clutch chatter - we have to back up our drive in the morning, and it will chatter every time unless I'm really trying to avoid it. OK after that.

I'd guess my Firestones will last well into the 40s at their current rate of wear (21K so far) - I run them at 33-34 PSI. I have had to replace fairly "young" tires with plenty of tread left (Michelins) due to sidewall cracking - in sunny South Texas. Despite regular Armor All.

Cheers from (soon to be) sunny Seattle!

Ken M.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    It seems I've wanted a taller top gear in every car I've ever owned. Therefore, the 3500 rpm at 75 mph doesn't bother me that much.

The old 1.6L DOHC Fiats would wind to 8k without problems. Mine was a '71 Spider refitted with dual Weber IDFs just like the UK version. Fun cars.

Jim
  • mfsbmfsb Member Posts: 17
    Dave,

Thanks for your response. I just got through trying to do the install and I wish I would have never attempted this project. Too late now because the holes are drilled. I don't see how I can get to the right hand side hole on the inside to put the washers and nut on. I'm wondering if the 2002 is different than your model. I was able to get the washers and nut on the left hand side but could not get a wrench on it. I thought I might be able to enter where the indented grab handle on the bottom of the gate is to reach the right hand side and in trying to pull this piece of plastic off I cracked it. Needless to say I am not a happy camper. Has anyone tried to do this on a 2002 LLB? I'm going to call the dealer tomorrow to see if they will finish this blotched attempt up for me. If someone knows the way to access this area please let me know.

Bill
    bhuppert Apr 22, 2002 8:21am

Bob-
    I hope you've found the reset button. :)
    I know it is annoying.

Patti-
    The owners' manual should include a section for trouble-shooting. You know, the little annoying things like the 30 second flash of the parking lights whenever the battery gets disconnected.

-Dave
  • teamjdcteamjdc Member Posts: 12
    I've got a '93 Legacy wagon that has a mysterious ooze coming from holes at the corners of the rear hatch. It makes a real mess of the bumper and is difficult to remove.

Has anyone else seen this and have you been able to eliminate it?
    When you call in, please ask the Representative to review your case with me. I'll "snoop" around to see what can be done and help the Rep.

I will not be in the office today (jury duty), but I can check tomorrow.

Thanks!

Patti
    Great suggestion. I'll forward it on. Thanks!

Patti
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Hello everyone I haven't posted in a while have myself spread to thin. I just got my best mpg last tank. 26.7 mostly highway 02 outback base 4aet 8200k on the clock. Love the car except fot the cold start piston slap noise . It getting warmer here so hopfully won't here it untill next winter. My car runs at 2800 rpms at 70 with cruise set . I run with the air pressure at 32psi all 4 tires.

mike k
  • peterson10peterson10 Member Posts: 116
    Sorry to hear things didn't go smoothly. I remember finding it difficult to get to one end or the other, but not impossible. I think I had my (then) 9 yr. old squeeze her arm up in there to get the bolt started...maybe she finished the install...can't remember. Anyway, I'm sure your dealer/service techs have been through this before, so hopefully they can lend a hand.

best of luck,
    YetAnotherDave
    Hey Mike. 27mpg is great for an auto.

Join us for Thursday's chat?

-juice
  • ccampbell4ccampbell4 Member Posts: 60
    Why would there by a 500 rpm difference between the auto and the manual in the same car? My 02 base OB 5sp runs at about 3300 at the same speed as mike's.
  • mortpeaberrymortpeaberry Member Posts: 69
    I've had to reset my rad-didio and clock about 5 times because of removing battery terminal. I've never seen this is it <my'00 specific or only when batery goes dead (or niether)
    steve-v
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    5th gear in 5-speed manuals are usually geared shorter to give a little more power for passing without having to downshift. You don't run into this problem with a 4EAT since the TCU downshifts for you.

Ken
  • heatherbeanheatherbean Member Posts: 82
    Hi, I just joined the club and just read the first message about wanting to buy a H6. I bought one 3 weeks ago! We have already a 2001 Outback with a manual. The H6 is automatic only, so I am not used to it being a manual type of person. But I can say, if you stomp on the gas the car rockets forward! I test drove the WRX 3 times and it never di that off the line (only after 4000 rpm's or so) So yes, you should drive the new H6 and see for yourself. Still, I prefer our 2001 Outback since it is manual. I traded a 99 Outback Sport in for my L.L. Bean and I do regret it. Boo Hoo! But for my family it is great! My 20-month-old's legs are no longer slammed against the back of the seat and I can easily put the stroller in the hatch now. The engine is quieter and the ride is far smoother then the 2001 Outback. It seems to be a completely different car to us! And the leather seats are so comfy and the Momo wheel is extra nice! It looks best in Timberline green with those new gold accent wheels for sure (that's what I got). So, yes there are vast differences in drive feel, handling, road feel, comfort that must be tested to experience. My only complaint is it is only offered in an automatic! What were they thinking! Will I ever get used to it? If not, it's by by Green Bean when they do come out with a manual one, or a manual GT with the H6! Unfortunately no WRX for us until my baby is off to college (16 years!). Whaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!
    I hope that helps.
    Heather
    I'm in the same boat - I like the H6 we both me and my wife want a manual tranny. We may end up with a Legacy GT, or even an L.

-juice
  • seayakkerseayakker Member Posts: 57
    I learned to drive in a 50-something 4WD Ford pickup in the Montana mountains, and the only automatics I ever drove for the next [mumbledymumbledy] years were rentals. I couldn't see the point. The advantages of manual were so obvious.

Then I moved to San Fracisco.

Steep hills with a stop sign at the top of each one. Parrallel parking on those same hills. Left foot constantly poised over the clutch, right foot positioned with heel over brake, toe over gas, sweat beading up on forehead as you watch the car behind you get waaaaaay too close..... finally the vehicle I needed for work showed up at the right price in an automatic. OMG what a world of difference! I'm SUCH a happy camper w/ my Bean now!

However, should I ever move to the mountans again....

Jillian
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Jillian,
    Every trip I take over the hill to SanFran feels like it shaves years off my clutch! Good god those are steep hills to navigate. Judging by the looks of everyone's bumpers over there, I'd be looking for an auto-trans car with black plastic bumpers if I lived there. I'd cry if my bumpers were that scraped up, but they're ALL like that in town. Hmmm...a Bean with black bumpers...not bad...
    Hello,
    I want to know the differences between the GT and the Outback with MT please. In as much technical detail as possible. The only Dealer that has a Manual GT is 300 miles away! I guess they are hard to find. I bought a 2002 L.L. Bean H6 and it is Auto. Anyway, I was (still am in my heart) an Impreza person. I am heart sick since trading in my darling 99 OBS wagon three weeks ago!! I wanted a GT for the "Sports-tuned suspension" but could not find one. My husband has a 2001 Outback and wanted the H6- so he decided for us. I really want to know what the GT's are like. I know they are an inch lower to the ground and I know the springs are different and the tires are 55 rated. What does all this do? Does it drive more like an Impreza? That is fun and road hugging? Anyway, it still may happen since my husband knows how heart sick I am for my OBS that he says I can trade-in his 2001 Outback. It is paided-off next year and only has 5,500 miles on it, so that would be DUMB logically. But logic does not heal my broken heart and I am not vulcan. If you guys convince me the GT is great fun then I will plan our vacation to South Shore Motors in CA where they have a GT in Titanium Pearl!
    Thank you, Heather
    Um, yes, but let's change the subject to cheer you up instead.

The Bean is an incredible value. You get just about everything you could ever want - 6 cylinders, super smooth acceleration, quiet and luxurious ride, pot-hole tolerant wheels and tires, wood and leather, the works.

Here's a thought - let HIM keep the Bean, you get a new WRX. That'll make you quite happy.

-juice
  • mikenkmikenk Member Posts: 281
    Thats what I did. My wife has the OB VDC; I have the WRX wagon. Nice combo; a quiet cruiser and a practical fun-mobile. A car for any mood. They also look good next to each other in the garage.

An upcoming problem is our summer trip to Colorado. I am trying to convince her that the high altitude is not good for her engine, but is for a turbo.

Mike
    Nope, can do it. My husband says the WRX is not a family car. We are tall and with the baby seat behind the passanger side, we can not go in the car together (not that I mind since it will be MY car!) Niether of us can fit in the back seat.
    So that's not an option. I want a GT and if they come out, or should I say when they come out with a H6 or a H4 turbo MT GT I will be the first in line!
    Thanks - but someone who has a GT please fill me in and save me the 300 mile trip!
    Heather
  • hondafriekhondafriek Member Posts: 2,984
    I have a 2001 Gt wagon in Titanium pearl. I cannot comment on the manual trans as mine is auto, In canada you cannot get a GT wagon with manual trans.

However in the GT you get a more taut better handling car than the outback, the suspension is different and the 1 inch in ride height makes a big difference also.

My GT also has the cloth upholstery, and it is a better quality in my opinion than what is in the outback.

I absolutely love this car and the only thing I would I would be remotely tempted to trade it for would be a Legacy Blitzen,I drive it pretty aggressively, and have not come even close to getting into trouble with the handling.

So take the trip drive the car and fall in love with it.

BTW. I am probably biased but Titanium is absolutely the best colour.

Cheers Pat.
  • roger2001roger2001 Member Posts: 1
    The tires on my Outback 2000 only have 16,000 plus miles of wear. One is damaged and will need to be replaced. How serious is the recommendation that all tires have equal wear on them? Has anyone gone through this? Can I get away with replacing one tire? Or will I have to replace 2 or all 4?