Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Full Sized Vans

Comments

• pemulispemulis Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the very good points xfiles, mrnimmo.

Yup, my terminology was off: we do not plan to lay new tracks across the pristine wilderness with our van. Poor-roading is a much better description for what we like to do.

We're leaning towards a 2001 Ford E350 Ext., but having a damn time finding one that matches our mug shot. Finding one with a limited-slip diff seems unrealistic at this point, so we're facing an expensive ($1800) post-factory install of an option that only costs $221 if factory-ordered. This expense is causing us to waffle on the used/new decision.

Interesting aside: I heard through the grapevine that my fair city ordered a whole lot of Ford E-350s. To 'save' money, they opted out of most 'luxury' options, including the limited-slip. After a bad storm when most of the new city vans got stuck, the city has decided to retro fit the vans. Ouch.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Finding one with a limited-slip diff seems unrealistic at this point,

I ddin't say limited slip. These aren't particularly helpful offroading/poor-roading, but are better than nothing on gravel or light snow. Get a true locked differential, like a Detriot Locker or Lockright. The part should cost $400 or so and labor should be around 3 hours. See www.drivetrain.com for the parts and info. But locked diffs do make handling different and cause understeer. In other words, slow down and know your vehicle. But the offroad guys swear by them. Note that the earlier link I sent you concerned installing a locked differential. Here is another article covering the different types: http://www.angelfire.com/my/fastcar/diffey.html. The guy really likes Torsen and dislikes Powertrax and similar lock diffs but the analysis is sound. A factory LSD is similar to the Auburn type listed in the article.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Here's an article far less critical of the powertrax locked diff: http://www.4x4wire.com/reviews/no-slip/review/?
  • wsc9ttwsc9tt Member Posts: 3
    We finally decided to do it.

Today I bought a 2001 Chevy Ext Express 3500 LS in bright RED. Very nice.

I will put a hitch on the back and we will be driving across the country this summer with our Coleman popup.

Question: I have small children and that van is very high. Where can I buy some running boards that fit? I am pretty handy and it would be great if I could just order some and install them myself.
    (Or does finding a local shop make more sense?)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check sema.org for some ideas. They have a link to suppliers in their consumer pages.

Steve, Host
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    The 2003 GM/Chevy full sized vans have optional 4WD and it is one of the better systems, same as used in GM SUV's. Still costs a bundle but I beleive it is a better way to go then the conversions if you are buying a new van. For what it's worth...
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    modern and are overall much more well rounded than the Econoline and Ram van.
  • onalaskaonalaska Member Posts: 21
    Hi, I just purchased a new 2003 Savana long wheelbase cargo van, 6 liter engine, 3.71 axle for my A/C business. Enjoyed reading everyone's comments and their experiences on this forum. I got 14.1 MPG on the first tank which I felt was pretty good for such a large vehicle.

Steven
  • libertycatlibertycat Member Posts: 593
    "For prices similar to those of the Suburban and other full-size sport utility vehicles, you can have a full-size van with even greater utility and ease of access."

The virtuous van (Albuquerque Tribune)

Steve, Host
  • a6biturboa6biturbo Member Posts: 5
    I currently own a Ford Excursion. Purchased it mainly because our family needed something bigger and a big bonus was that it fits 12 feet of whatever with the doors closed. It's a little rough riding and frankly I go through cars every couple years. Anyway, my wife owns a steel company and often times I'm picking up 12 foot lengths of steel up to about 3 inches in diameter for her. I'm wondering which vans have a straight shot up to the engine cover so that I can easily run the bars under the seats? I'd like to be able to run a few 12 foot bars into the van with my kids in their child seats and still be able to close the barn doors in the back. Is this an option or are the seats installed in such a way that the 12 foot run would be obstructed? Also does anyone have a measurement of what lengths I can fit in various full size vans? Do 12's fit or do I need an extended van to haul them? Actually my length will be about 12 foot 6 inches as the bars are usually tubed. What will the extended vans fit length wise? Thanks in advance!
  • rsmmacrsmmac Member Posts: 22
    I just brought home a stack of 14-foot long baseboards using my extended wheelbase GMC van. I set them on the floor diagonally from the back-left to the right-front (passenger footwell) with a little room to spare. The regular wheelbase is 20" less, so 12' 6" may not quite make it.
    Is anyone shopping full size vans much? Why? Cargo or lots of people to haul?

Steve, Host
  • mmcnamarammcnamara Member Posts: 27
    After several trips this summer in the Honda Odyssey with my wife and three kids, I'm thinking about a Ford Econoline, solely for the cargo space. The increased tow capacity will be welcome, but these vehicles bring so many compromises to the table. Compared to the Honda, full-size vans handle ponderously, accelerate more slowly, take a longer distance to brake, are lousy in the snow, and get half the mileage. As for reliability and depreciation, there's no comparison. Now, keep in mind that I'm a Ford man saying that, and not a domestic-basher. If only there was some serious competition from the Japanese to make these vehicles join the 21st century. Lamentably, I think the vast majority of full-size vans are sold as cargo vans, and aren't used as passenger haulers, with the exception of conversion vans- a species of which I have never seen to equal OEM standards in anything.(Just my opinion, folks.)So, while I am shopping, it's certainly a reluctant pursuit.
    Maybe you should look at the Dodge/Freightliner (Mercedes/Sprinter) too.

Steve, Host
    No one buying a full size van these days?

Steve, Host
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    ...sales figures, surely lots of full size vans are being sold. However, the people involved in buying them may not be showing up here at Edmunds, methinks.
    There's a theory tossed around that owners of domestic cars don't chat about them as much as owners of foreign nameplates. There are plenty of GM/DC/Ford minivan posts in Vans though.

Steve, Host
    ...on how to test this theory?

Even the minivans boards for the ChryCo triplets used to be fairly active a while ago, and every now and then Ody vs Sienna flares up, but by and large this whole section is fairly quiet.

I have a minivan and continue to lurk around to contribute or read something interesting.
    how to test this theory?

Maybe with some heavy data mining. You buying? <g>

Steve, Host
  • FlyercvgFlyercvg Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 Ford E250 Explorer high top conversion. It appears the outside edge of the front tires are wearing more than the inside edge. Anyone with similar experience or is there any fixes for the problem. I had the dealer do the front end alignment after a change of tires and it still appears to wear on the outside edge.
    Flyer, check out Tires, tires, tires.

In site news, here's the Lowest True Cost to Own Vehicles for 2004

Steve, Host
  • setzersetzer Member Posts: 127
    has any one actually seen the new Dodge Sprinter? Dodge is the only company that has actually came out with a new large van! I personally like the looks of it for being such a large van, but I wouldn't need one that big. A MPV is more my size of mini-van.
    There are a few here that FedEx drives around.

We could reopen the Dodge Freightliner (Mercedes Sprinter) discussion, but there's not a whole lot of interest in it yet. Maybe if they started pushing a camper version?

Steve, Host
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    It seems that all of the Ford Econoline van forums are read only. Where can I go to post a question specific to Ford Econoline 150 vans?

Frank
    Now reopened for your posting convenience:

Ford Econoline

Steve, Host
    Can you list the heading "Full sized Vans" in the main Ford directory instead of under Econoline 250. this will make it easier to find and may attract more readers.

Thanks
    Yeah, we can try that. Maybe if we keep asking enough questions we can generate some more interest in big vans.

It's funny, but the new minivans are probably as big or bigger than the full size ones are. The Eurovan sure is a big box too.

I saw a conversion van today with a Winnebago topper replacing the factory roof. That thing was tall!

It sounds like you currently have two full size vans? What's the attraction? I looked at a couple back in '98 when we got our minivan for our big road trip, but decided that a smaller one would work ok and be a little easier to commute with and park when we settled back down.

Steve, Host
    I am on my 4th Econoline since 1977. They have not been without problems, but I like them. the first 2 were basically large comfortable means of moving 5 people to and from school, camping, family gatherings etc. I have always been impressed with the mass of the van vs. a car. The visibility is much greater, the comfort is unequaled and the utility is unmatched. My 3rd and 4th Ford vans are cargo versions which I use for my alarm installation business. We recently bought the 4th Ford econoline cargo van and also a Chevy Astro cargo van. The reason we bought the Astro is because the Ford version of a mini van is too nice to use as a cargo van. I could never understand why so many Ford jokes abound. I guess they are due to jealousy.
     I agree that there could be more entries made in the full sized van forum. It may say a lot about drivers of full sized vans, less interest in computers, fewer problems with their vans, etc.

Frank
    Thanks - and I found it interesting that you had more than one brand in your hanger.

Maybe a Quigley conversion is in your future too ;-)

Steve, Host
  • fulldominationfulldomination Member Posts: 2
    We purchased a nearly new Savana Van from Lou Sobh GMC in Lithia Springs about a year and a half ago. We were there for a number of hours when the threw us a curveball. They were offering us zero percent interest rate because it was new for the year. Then, when we got in the financial room, they jacked the interest rate up to 5.9. If we werent in such need of a new van at the time, we would have walked out, but it was needed. Now, we are upside-down by $9,000 and tried to trade it back in to the same dealership for a 2004 Safari. They just looked us in the eye and said "What am I stupid?"... So, learn from your mistakes. Since vans like this have bad depreciation, dont get stuck with a high interest rate and end up upside down. The more sensibble thing would be to buy a Safari instead of a Savana. Also, if your budget permits, Chevy and GMC Suburbans have excellent resale value. Although they cost more, in the long run, it will be better for you (plus they get better gas mileage). Also, Toyota Seqouias have great resale value, better than the Suburbans. Never buy minivans, though, they have terrible resale value and generally have bait and switch on interest rates and incentives.
  • raywhersraywhers Member Posts: 3
    I received a 1995 E-150 van last year without the manuals or any of the paper work that goes with a vehical. I can get the manual for the van part but the conversion part has become a big lost. I have a conversion made by CENTAURUS , it is the CENTAURUS LTD model manuafacted 03/07/1995 in IN.. The company has gone out of business and I been unable to connect with any one that has one of these vans or that knows any one with a CENTAURUS conversion. Please help, at this time I am having trouble with the conversion electrical system.
  • markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Well, I have mostly always owned PU trucks. Two years ago, my PU got the front munched in somewhat, while driving to a motorcycle race a few states away, and decided that, for racing, an additional vehicle would be great.

I bought a 2001 E350 on EBAY, with 1200 miles, for about $21,000. Had A/C, LimSlip, Power W and Doors, but not much else, other than the 7.3L diesel.

Here I am, two years later, and quite happy with the van. I still use my CC PU thru the week, but we use the van (to which a single bench seat and 3-place dirtbike tiedown system has been added) for weekend road trips. I'm at 44k miles, and average 16-18 mpg when running roughly 82mph on the interstates not towing. When towing my 5,000lb travel trailer, mileage drops to close to 10mpg at same speeds. Have added Sirius radio, and pretty much love the vehicle. When we want, I can hotel it, and not worry about getting stuff ripped off out of the back of the truck.

Well, thought I would chime in and let folks know that, at least for me, I am quite happy!
  • 6ontheroad6ontheroad Member Posts: 8
    I have read the archived posts relating to full sized vans and have found that generally most prefer the Chevy/GMC vans to the Fords. My question is:

Is there a marked difference in mechanical reliability between the Chevy Express/GMC Savanna 2500 and 3500 and the Ford E250 and E350.

I purposely omitted the 1500 models as I read they have had transmission problems; listed in the archived posts.

However, I have not seen any recent posts that address the transmissions in the 1500 models since 2001. I am interested in the years 2001 and newer. Maybe the 1500 models have improved their mechanical reliability? Any thoughts from current or former owners of each?
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Nope. The minivans all have about 200 cubic feet of interior volume. The Econoline has nearly 300.

Maybe people here think the GM vans are more reliable but Ford still has over 50% market share.

We have a 94 E250 HD with 155,000 miles on it. We've replaced a radiator and idler pulley in addition to tuneups, brakes, and tires. This vehicle has towed sailboat trailers of 2,800 to 4,500 lbs for over 25,000 miles - try that with a minivan. I know several folks with Econolines with up to 326,000 miles without any rebuilds. I may not even look at the GM vans when we buy tne next one.
  • mcase2mcase2 Member Posts: 160
    Most Mini vans do have terrible resale - but Hondas and Toyotas hold ther value very well
  • bobd3bobd3 Member Posts: 1
    I have wrecked two starters because the solenoid has stuck after the engine started and the engine and starter were both running. Even after a new solenoid was installed it did it again. What's the problem?
  • w6dwfw6dwf Member Posts: 2
    Dodge 1996 B3500 1-ton 12 passenger van
    I'm searching for an electrical connector to match an existing underdash connector. The shop manual labels this connector as "Van Conversion Provision" with no C- number. It has 4 wires: 2 fused high current wires, a control wire from the ignition switch, and a ground wire. I'd like to find a source for the mating connector.
    Thanks -- W6DWF
  • arielsgrannyarielsgranny Member Posts: 1
    I recentally purchased a 1992 E-150 full Conversion van, also with the Centaurus package. I too am having difficulty with the electrical system and have no information what so ever. Did you ever get any answers?

The battery drains when it is not used longer than 1 or 2 weeks. I do not know if the extras are on or off as the buttons don't say what is what. I love the van, but I am frustrated with the lack of info. If you know anything, please share. I appreciate it.

Thanks, arielsgranny
  • chevanchevan Member Posts: 10
    Hello Conference. Everybody happy with their full size vans? I'm ready for a new van and am considering replacing my '99 Ford Chateau with a similar model. I purchased my van in 2000 with 16k mi on it. I now have 112k mi on it with minimal problems. This Ford has been a great truck.
    Any comments, experiences, prices paid, gas mileage, etc. would be welcome.
    Thank you. PBL
  • drsmeddrsmed Member Posts: 2
    Hi. I have a 1993 Ford Conversion Van E-250. The conversion was done by Companion Vans. The van runs a little rough and occasionally stalls after being on for a couple minutes. If the a/c is used, the stalling and lurching pick up. I have taken it to my mechanic who has done everything possible with the fuel system and then some. He is very stumped -this never happens. I'm are being told it's electrical but we cannot find the schematics for the van's conversion. I have contacted the conversion company and nobody will respond to me. Can anyone help me with this?

Things that have recently been replaced since I bought the van in May:
    - oxygen sensor
    - spark plugs & wires
    - fuel, air, and oil filters
    - distributor cap & rotor
    - PCV valve
    - brake pads & shoes
    - radiator

Thank you for your help.
  • maddoggmaddogg Member Posts: 2
    Hello I just got a 1994 Dodge Ram 250 van and I'm planning to restoreing it. There are something missing and would like to find out what was there. On the engine cover (dog house) the front part is missing, I can't tell what it looked like. Also on the side door there was something removed, can tell by the screw holes. I did not get any owners manauls with the van. Does anyone know of a web site that will show the inside of the van?
    Thanks
  • drsmeddrsmed Member Posts: 2
    Just an update to my previous post (#710) - The van is actually a 1994 E-150, not a 1993 E-250. And I was finally able to contact someone at the manufacturer, he tried his best to be helpful but he says they didn't really have schematics for the conversion wiring back then, they didn't even make their own wiring harnesses. They simply ran individual wires from a common point behind the drivers seat to each of the items they added (TV, VCP, rear stereo, and so on).

So again I ask, can anyone offer me any advice or tips to try? With gas prices jumping like they are, I am desperate to improve this engine's behavior!
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    drsmed, you might also want to ask the folks in the Idle or Stalling Problems: All Vehicles discussion what they think.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• klarkeklarke Member Posts: 1
    Hi all, been searching the net for the right solution but can't find one; this is the next best thing. I own a 1998 Dodge Ram Van (1500) conversion. Great little wagon, love the upholstered interior. I have Capt chairs and recently, the driver's side armrests suddenly flopped down. Didn't realize how much of a difference they make as now my back is hurting me. The passenger side armrest doesn't go all the way down. Now the driver's side just hangs there. It can also be easily removed, which I did, and found a metallic 'stub' with a factory indentation in it. The stub doesn't appear to be damaged (nothing torn or stripped) and can be easily re-inserted in the opening. My guess is there's a clip that may have come loose. Anyone offer any advice?
  • jhartjhart Member Posts: 10
    I bought a 94 E-250 retired church "bus" and threw out the seats and use it for construction work. It is huge inside and has the headliner and floor mat which makes it quieter. I have found and fixed a few problems with it over the last 50,000 miles. It now has 200,000 miles and runs well. The tranny will "jump" out of gear on occasion and thump back in. Low speed or high speed. No OBD codes. I changed the fluid and filter twice. I will try cleaning all electrical connections on the trans next. Sometimes it will go weeks without doing it. If it rains it may do it more often. I wonder if the torque converter is unlocking for some reason. I had the clockspring replaced in the steering wheel but it still does it. I think the brake light switch may unlock the torque convertor when applied as it should and sometimes if I hit a bump at speed the cruise will de-activate. Any one else had this problem? My mechanic has tried everything. Thanks!
  • blackflag3blackflag3 Member Posts: 29
    I have a 1994 Ford Conversion van by Centaurus, and am having the same problems with the battery draining. Has anyone found any solution to this problem yet?
    Thanks,jumidory
This discussion has been closed.