Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

We have two kids and formerly used two tethers, now down to one as Tamsin keeps growing rapidly. In the Outback, I have had no difficulties at all with the tethers but removed the rear head restraints which can obstruct vision. We may need to reinstall one now as Tamsin keeps shooting up (no question that she'll be taller than her mum but wondering now whether she'll beat her 1.8m dad- long legs, broad shoulders and slim - that's the kid, not dad!)

Seat folding is no drama and I do it regularly. I don't even bother to remove the tethers but just sling them to the side of the load area.

My recollection of the Passat is that there is effectively no difference on the child seat attachment front. Both are good.

Cheers

Graham
  • red927red927 Member Posts: 118
    The Special Edition does have intermittent wipers, however they are only one speed. The GT and the Outbacks have variable speeds.

Phil

• mjmille7mjmille7 Member Posts: 10
    Brian....I am having new parts put in for my clutch today as well ('02 Outback). The parts being replaced are the flywheel, disk and cover. Hopefully will help the problem. I mentioned something about the TSB on this, but the service rep looked at me like I had two heads.
  • cdndrivercdndriver Member Posts: 86
    HI,
    I thought about this wiper business, too. I find it rather silly that Subaru flaunts getting a "variable" intermittent wiper at the GT level as a big point in there many upgraded features. COME ON! This is a BASIC safety feature that you get standard on most GM cars and other base level vehicles. I don't consider this as a "luxury" accessory like a sun roof, or leather, or dual climate, etc.. but a basic safety item. It must cost pennies to go from installing an intermittent switch to a variable one, and it's one place where I think subaru drops the ball. I certainly isn't something that I think justifies the steep increase in price from the SE to the GT, and should be standard on ALL levels. That's like saying on the top of the line, you get TWO wipers, not one, or adding a mirror on the right side door as a bonus. Be real...be safe Subaru.
    cdndriver
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    the price difference comes from the different interior - leather, adjustable seats and the different suspension. the reality is they are making the SE a steal compared to prev prices for the same spec level till this MY, the 03 SE is essentially my 98 GT with a softer suspension and no seat height adjust!

yes, the intermittent wipe feature probably costs them only a few bucks, if you think GM is safe, what do you think about them making ABS optional on their base cars as they have announced?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yeah, our Legacy L has intermittent wipers. The delay is just about where you'd usually have it. My Forester is the same way, and even though my previous car had it, I don't really miss it. You ended up fiddling with the variable adjustment all the time as your speeds change, that's the hassle you're trying to avoid in the first place.

What would be cool is a speed-dependent intermittent setting. Set it and forget it. Didn't the SVX have that?

cdndriver: remember the base Honda Civic from the late 80s? Vinyl seats, 4 speed manual, and no right-side mirror? The Sentra was the same way. No wonder there were reliable, there were no features on them that could break!

Tether anchors are purely about safety, they have to be sturdy first and foremost. I'd rather have them anchored to a reinforced metal D-pillar frame, then a floppy seat that folds.

The view is only partially blocked, it didn't bother me.

GM used to have ABS, but mostly on lousy braking systems. Subaru's stopping distances are shorter across the board, and they've kept ABS standard while GM cut costs to compete with the Koreans. Seriously.

Having said that, I would like to see Subaru standardize more features. Put 4 disc brakes on every car, no more drums. The lit key ring, too. Vanity mirrors. Shiftronic. Even the AWD systems, use VTD in every model.

-juice
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    "It must cost pennies to go from installing an intermittent switch to a variable one...."

May be even more cost effective for Subaru if they just carry just one type too.
    I agree. Standardize, guys!

-juice
  • dudedude Member Posts: 123
    Filled up my GT yesterday after a weekend road trip. A combined city driving plus mountain road climbing and some highway miles rendered a 24.9 MPG. Not too bad considering that I was climbing a lot with tach @4000 RPM.
  • bigelmbigelm Member Posts: 995
    That must have all the options then...

I just bought my wife a '03 Outback Wagon Limited MSRP $25,600, I paid invoice price $23,400. Only option; dimming mirror w/compass. But what else do you want...? It's fully loaded, even a 6 disc changer with decent sound.

Now...time to adjust those foglights :-)
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    my last fill up (this morning) came in at 19mpg! I think my wife has been rallying without telling me. I will install the K&N filter within a week and clock it again. (I am ashamed to say that I have not even looked at my filter since it was new - now has 32K on it). Bad Dobby, bad Dobby.

Greg
  • mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    96 legacy l wagon 108k

Since its started getting cold i've been getting around 19mpg. The best I've ever gotten was 27mpg on a summer driving trip.

I've owned this car for 5 winters now, its always averaged less than 20mpg in the winter. I've gotten as low as 15 mpg when its been really cold in January. I'm in MN so, really cold is -10 to -20 or worse.

Don't get me wrong, this is a great car.... starts every morning no matter the temp and only 1 unscheduled repair, the alternator.
    It's probably two things - it's running inefficiently until it warms up, and oxygenated gas.

A block heater would cure the 1st, but not the 2nd.

-juice
  • 4petite4petite Member Posts: 30
    The invoice listed on CarsDirest is over $24,600 for a new, base model Outback Ltd with manual transmission. I can see getting a few hundred under invoice but $1,200? Where are you located if I may ask?
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    mn_pat, I agrgee! I normally get 27ish to maybe 28mpg all summer, but lately I hope to get 24. I'm not very knowledable about engine performance but its running way to rich when cold. You can watch the gas gauge drop in the first 5 miles of driving. I may invest in an engine block heater even though the car is garaged.

--jay
    I average 25mpg over the long haul, but just 22mpg in winter.

-juice
    my garage is kept at 50C and I am still getting 19-21 mpg. I think it may be the cold air (running rich) and a block heater won't help here. Oxygenated gas probably too. Perhaps it will improve as we really get into winter and the ECU adjusts. Maybe resetting the ECU, as recommended, would help. Need to collect some data.

Greg
  • mjmille7mjmille7 Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like low 20's is common in the cold. Under mixed driving, cold temps, I've been around 20-21 MPG last couple times I checked. Was closer to 25-26 over the summer.
  • goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    Has anyone else encountered this problem? I find the battery holddown on my 00 OB is constantly corroding. The top of the battery is always slightly damp with acid and despite regular cleaning with baking soda solution I have now been forced to remove the holddown and repaint it. I suppose I could replace it with a rubber one but why should I? Anyway, it could spread down the battery to the tray too.

The battery is by Johnson Controls. It has two raised covers for the filler but no little lip around them to contain spillage. I've never had to top up the battery, but I'm wondering if the dealership might have overfilled it during routine service. If this is not a common problem I might try sucking a little out from each cell.
  • mn_patmn_pat Member Posts: 67
    How does one do that? Disconnect the battery?
    Yes. Disconnect the negative and wait 20 minutes. Reconnect, start it and let it idle until warm.

My batteries have been clean, even up until the OE battery died.

-juice
    are clean also. I tend to rinse them down when I wash the car.

Sounds like we all need a road trip to Florida to increase our mileage.

Greg
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    The only accessory I miss from my Suburban (97 model) was the radio ... it had a 'speed-sensitive volume' .. when you slowed down, the volume went down and when you sped up, the volume went up ... was very nice .... but not NECESSARY ... (I still love my Outback more ...)
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    My '97 Chevy Z71 had that radio too. That probably is one GM option that is nice-to-have, but not necessary-to-have.

I've long forgotten it by now with our Outback (and MPV). ;-)

-Brian

• ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    I've found that once a battery starts having corrosion problems, the only way to fix it is to replace it! I've removed clamps, washed everything with baking soda and rinsed down the battery compartment - but the white fuzz always returned.

As for the top of the battery remaining "dirty", you might have an over-charging problem forcing the acid out through the vents - a nasty situation. Regular rinsing might keep this under control, but you might have the charging system checked.

Be careful when rinsing, the restultant wastewater is still acidic and carries a red rust stain that will spot other painted panels in the engine compartment, and outside too! Also stains concrete real good.

Steve
    Oh, and my previous problems with batteries wasn't on a Subaru. So far my OB is free from this ailment - although now that I've said that, the next time I open the hood I expect to see a big problem! :)

Steve
    Brenda: that's because big trucks have more road noise, and need it! hee hee!

-juice
  • captain022captain022 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a new 2003 LL Bean (Titanium Monotone color) with 21 miles on the odometer. Paid $40, that's right "forty" over dealer invoice. I got a great Subaru lease with a lease factor of .00165 for 36 months and 15,000 miles per year. With $1500 out the door and 35 more payments of $400 including Utah sales tax. Got it from a dealer in Orem, Utah. Ask for Subaru sales manager. Love the car. The ride is fantastic, after 5 years in a Toyota 4-Runner. Looking forward to a few ski trips into the Utah mountains.
  • aviatorvisaaviatorvisa Member Posts: 21
    Gasoline is reformulated in winter, generally with oxygenated additives. This causes a drop in fuel economy. Don't forget to check your tire pressure, remember the ideal gas law from high school chemistry? PV=nRT, pressure drops when temperature drops. That equates to high rolling resistance, so be sure to check your tire pressure as it gets colder out there.
    Congrats, cap'n! Monotone, too, very nice!

-juice
    Congratulations. A good pair of snow tires will really make your trips to Utah fun. You can go when everyone else is stuck in snow.

Greg
    Sorry for the error... that number stuck to my head because it was the base wagon my wife and I first looked at; it had all the bells and whistles.

The Lmtd. was $25550 w/ Dimming Mirror & Compass.

I live in NJ by the way... :-)
  • reblack_jrreblack_jr Member Posts: 57
    I do not have the battery corrosion problem on this car. In the past (other cars) it was eliminated with some felt fibre like washers placed under the cables. They may be called acid eaters?? I think they are available in stores like Pep Boys etc.
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Where in NJ? I'm in the great Garden State also, and lookin for a Subaru. If you don't mind telling us, what dealer did you buy from?

- Lou
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Picked my Outback up today from the body shop . If you don't remember . My aunt sideswiped my while I was on vacation. The total bill was $1600.00 . They did a great job . The only thing I have to get use to is they had to put on new Outback emblems on the 2 front doors .They said that they could not order the same ones that the car came with . The new ones are all gold colored, not the 2 tone color the old ones were . What do you think should I demand that they get me the same ones .Other then that the car looks great. I had a 02 Toyota solara as my rental car . It was nice ,no power seats ,not outside temp gauge, and I felt like I was sitting on a chair made out of plywood very hard and flat with no bolstering.

Mike k
  • rangerron7rangerron7 Member Posts: 317
    "Badges?? We don't need no stinkin badges!!"

Couldn't pass that one up.
    Ron
    Mike,

My opinion - let them ride. In a few days you'll never notice the difference.

Enjoy the holidays, and enjoy your ride. Its not worth the hassle.

Steve

Or, follow Ron's advice and just take 'em off! :)
    Keep the new badges, yours is updated. People will think it's newer than it is.

-juice
  • nancyjwnancyjw Member Posts: 1
    I realize my owner's manual says no chains for the Subaru AWD but we're driving over the Siskiyou Summit to go from Seattle to San Diego tomorrow. I sure don't want to buy snow tires for an hour or two's worth of driving but chains may be required. Does anybody have experience with or recommendations about using cable chains on an Outback. I have an LL Bean '01 wagon.
    What about the low-profile chains, Z chains or something?

-juice
  • tocatoca Member Posts: 147
    1998 Outback w/ 102,000. I'm planning on having the drive and timing belts, engine coolant flushed, engine seals replaced very soon. I have seen recommendations on this board that the water pump should be replaced as well. Plugs were replaced 50K miles ago but thinking of having this done as well.
    Any other recommendations while they're in there?
    I changed oil, PCV and fuel and air filters recently so don't need these done.

Thanks.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    If you don't wannna get the snows, try the low-profile chains or rely on your auto-insurance in case of anything. Worst case you don't buy the snows and the car gets into a wreck and you get it repaired. My personal opinion is to never skimp on brakes or tires, they are what keeps you from going out of control.

-mike
    toca: if you haven't already, I'd do the all the gear oils (tranny, differential). And of course things like the fuel filter, air filter, PCV valve, and O2 sensor.

-juice
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I don't know about Washington, but in California, they usually let 4wd and AWD vehicles pass. They generally close the roads before requiring them (4wd/AWD) to install chains. However there is a statement that "...you must CARRY chains..." although I think it's mainly directed at truckers in semis.

I'll probably get cable/Z chains this year just to be covered. Also, if you buy chains, check the return policy. Can you return them if they are unused?

Jim
  • bat1161bat1161 Member Posts: 1,784
    When I recently brought my car in for a 359-- check up, before the warranty was gone, the dealer noticed the battery hold down was corroding away. They ordered and installed a new one, all under warranty.

Mark
  • mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    Or do what I do. I have a set of chains I keep in the Wrangler that were for a truck I no longer own. They don't fit the Wrangler, and I can't use chains with the wide tires I have on it, but I'm carrying chains (letter of the law). I've never been told to put them on yet (and we had 18" of snow last night! No checkpoints though - California Highway Patrol was too busy stopping people at either end of the Grapevine to bother stopping all of us mountain commuters).
    Apologies tidester....

I made an honest mistake providing too much info...

I bought the Outback at Flemington Subaru... if you want additional info, like contact name and what not, email me:

bigelm@lycos.com
  • hashmanhashman Member Posts: 33
    My 00' Outback had signs of a leaky battery. I too had to wash with baking soda...the terminals took forever dipping them in a cup of solution and rinse. Repainted the hold down parts. I ended buying a new Interstate battery. I haven't had problems since.

Hasn't been really cold here ...yet...around 30s...mileage is still around 25 - 26 mpg.

congrats bigelm. great deal and enjoy.

Happy Holidays to all!
  • david55838david55838 Member Posts: 55
    Got the '02 Outback after the updated clutch plate and flywheel were installed. One thing they did was to forget to tighten the starter, so after driving the car once at the dealership, the starter backed out and the car didn't start again, and had to be flat bedded back to the dealership for a new starter. Not an auspicous beginning.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there's a LITTLE improvement. They adjusted the clutch to engage a little closer to the floor, so it masks the problem somewhat, but it's not completely gone. It still shudders at times unless I slip the clutch. Very disappointing. I guess I'll reopen my case with SOA after the New Year. Since they told me I'm a bit of a guinea pig in all this, you'd think they (or the dealer) would have followed up with me. Not a peep from either. And no apology from the dealer for messing up the starter.

Meanwhile, got a set of Hakkapelitta 1's for the car. I should be unstoppable if we get any snow!

Anyone else get the fix done yet?
    David
    a K&N air filter today. The car seemed a little smoother, but not sure if it was my imagination. Will keep you posted with mpg numbers and further impression.

Greg