Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ek01ek01 Member Posts: 37
    Anybody have any thoughts on when the Outback will be redesigned. The current design seems to have been around for a few years.
  • kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    The OB will probably be redesigned with the Legacy. We should see the new Legacy introduced in Japan later this year. The new model will probably hit the US sometime next year as an '05 model year.

Ken
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    I've seen MY 2005 mentioned several places as well for a redesign.
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    for USA market. Japan may get it this spring.

Bob
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    unless you need the H6 or can wait for the 2.5T (yum yum yum), the Legacy GT has a stiffer suspension than an Outback. For that matter, the Legacy L may too or at least the L it isn't as high off the road as an OB is so shouldn't wallow as much.

Can't wait for that future 2.5T GT, just in time to replace my 98 GT! Now, if they put a real "manualmatic" on it rather than the pathetic sportshift they have on the 03 it will be really something. I read somewhere that the Subaru WRC cars can change gears in half the time of the Ferraris - like less than 100msec!! Get a production version of that on the GT (and STi) and it will be awesome!
  • outback03outback03 Member Posts: 1
    I have been noticing an engine (2.5liter) rattle between 30 to 40mph. It's not that loud but noticeable. Is this normal? Anybody have the same experience? It only has 1400 miles on it. Could it have something to do with the gasoline octane? I used Chevron regular unleaded 87 octane.

I lived in CA, the factory recommends 5W-30, does anyone use 10W-30? Do you notice any difference on gas mileage?
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    My coolant gauge is just a hair below center also. Even after I just had the coolant changed.

If the engine rattle is "pinging", mine does occassionally do this very lightly under load. It does not really effect anything unless it is severe. At 1400 miles, your system might not have adjusted to your driving habits yet (yes, it does learn). As for 5W-30, check your manual and it will show you the grade to use for your temp climate. I currently use 5W-30 Mobil 1, but hear some knocking when cold. I am going to try 10W-30 next.

Greg
  • ladywclassladywclass Member Posts: 1,713
    Maybe it's because I drove 3 different Suburbans while raising 3 kids (and their friends, girl scouts, and church youth) before I got the Outback, but I take exception to the use of the term "wallow" as regards the Outback. My car hugs the road. I call it "sure-footed".
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Don't expect the rallybread manumatic in any production car, those trannies for rally cost $50-$60K and that is just the TRANNY!!!!

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I tried Shiftronic and thought it was okay, not the fastest but quicker than VW's or Volvo's systems.

-juice
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Where is the rattle coming from? I've noticed a rattle near those same speeds, but have determined thats its probably a heat shield near the muffler/tail pipe area.

--jay
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    Yeh, what she said.... ;-)

Seriously, I did not feel that much difference between the OBW and a Legacy L when I was shopping for my '02.

Steve
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    I have noticed that when my H6 engine is at idling speed, I can hear an extremely high pitch noise ( probably higher than 10 Khz; that is not an exact measurement; just guessing ) when I am standing outside next to the car. I don't hear is inside the car. That tells how good the sound insulation is on the Bean. I suspect from the fuel pump. Does anyone have any feedback for this noise?

Alland
    I hear a similar noise when standing outside. It's been there since new and I consider it normal.

Greg
  • pschreckpschreck Member Posts: 524
    Loved your post #7307. I do the same manuver in the snow when I get that guy that just has to ride my tail up a hill. It's not like I'm just puttin' along. Whether I'm in my Sequoia or the wife's Outback, there always seems to be somebody who wants me to go faster in the snow. I just slow to a stop and then roll away laughing while he sits there spinning in his big spoiler mobile. My wife hates this and lets me know. That's what happens when you get married I guess.
  • subirsssubirss Member Posts: 5
    I also had the same whine at idle and pointed it out to a subaru technician when it was in for a service. He just sprayed a little bit of lubricant on the alternator belt and the whine disappeared. He said that I could use WD40 as a substitute if the whine reappeared. It's been quiet since then.

Give it a try. Just remember to give only a tiny squirt because the friction between the belt and the pulley is important.
    Will destroy the belts IIRC. Someone else will jump in and verify that though.

-mike
  • gxb159gxb159 Member Posts: 46
    I have a 1997 Outback. My problem is that during the winter the window will freeze to the rubber weatherstripping and prevents me from opening the door. I can pull hard to open but I fear that I will rip the rubber weatherstripping. Anyone have a solution?
    This problem increases when the rubber ages, becomes porous and absorbs more moisture. One solution is to keep it slick and supple by using a rubber/vinyl treatment. I use Meguires (like Armor All), but there are many products that will do the job.

Also, keep the window spotlessly clean where it contacts the rubber. Crud holds water.

Steve
  • hashmanhashman Member Posts: 33
    I've never heard that one before. Permatex makes a belt dressing that increase the efficiency and quiet the whine between the belt/pully. I would think putting lubricants on belts would not be a good thing. Belt dressing works great on all belt driven things like lawn mowers with wheel drives, table saws...etc. Not a bad thing to keep in the tool box. I would use belt dressing before using any lube on belts.

my two cents.
    on the window seals...from being frozen to the window.

now that's 4 cents.
  • leo2633leo2633 Member Posts: 589
    Try some silicone spray on the rubber. It keeps things from sticking, and it will help keep the glass from freezing to the rubber.

Len
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    WD40 is petroluem-based and while it may help short term it can dry out any natural materials like rubber. It also is water-diplacing (hence the name) and could actually remove needed lubrication if you use it in spots like sway bar bushings (so don't).

Use a lithium based lube instead, they even make that in a spray can like WD40. That might make windows greasy, but I'd look for another alternative to WD40.

-juice
  • hammersleyhammersley Member Posts: 684
    An alternate method of applying lithium, silicone, whatever on the door seals: spray a spot onto a cloth, then rub onto the rubber. I've used silicone onthe door seals this way, helps the window freeze problem quite a bit. I wonder if alcohol wiped onto (& then allowed to dry) that part of the glass that contacts the window seals would help?

Cheers!
    Paul
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    with the tech at Lou Fusz Subaru. He (shall remain nameless) claims that Subaru has a Legacy STi in the works and will be in the US by 2005. Says its not the 2.5T but a twin-turbo variant of the 3.0 H6 that makes 350hp. He went on to claim that the price would be $45k. I have no idea where he is getting his information. I looked around a little and asked around too but I was unable to find anything about a TT H6 that Subaru has under development. No spy photos, no mention of a TT H6, nothing. So has anyone else heard this?
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    It's been on the net. There's a post regarding it in the "Subaru Crew Future Models" thread, that I posted several weeks back about it, including some spy photos.

Bob
    So if I start saving now, tell my kids they can't go to college, sell my neighbor's family on e-bay....hmmm....maybe.

Greg
    Haa if it's 45K for 350hp of Legacy STi, I'd probably pass. As much as I love subies that's just crazy pricing.

-mike
    You said it before - the most HP and leather seats does not make the best car or driver. I prefer good HP with excellent handling characteristics. There is always the next car coming that is quicker. Witness - the WRX STi.

Greg
    In relative terms IF it really comes with 350hp, AWD, leather, massive brakes, HID, traction control, stability control, manual transmission or better yet SMG-like shifter, and is at least the same size (or a little bigger) as the current Legacy, it would be a great deal.

Other options:
    The S6 and RS6 Avant are not realistic even though I dream about them all the time (are $60-80k if you can find one). Granted they have V8s and are a premium brand but the price is too high for me. I did consider saving for the S6 but the price just floated too high.
    I always thought there should be an M3 wagon BUT such a beast does not exist so the 330Xi is all thats left. BUT at nearly $45k loaded its not that interesting to me.
    Mazda will release a Mazdaspeed 6 wagon at some point (I hope) but if its not AWD I will not even look at it. I like my 01 Protege ES but I dont like big power FWD cars.
    Subaru will have an STi WRX wagon but its too small and I really really dont want the wing and all the gold stuff.

On the other hand a 2.5L 225hp Legacy GT turbo for $27k would be fine with me.
    But for me a 45K subie better be like a poor man's A8, maybe with an H6 rather than an H8 :)

-mike
  • tamara6tamara6 Member Posts: 38
    Our local Subaru dealer has very low mileage (6000-7000-8000 miles) Outback wagons (basic wagon, no cold weather package) priced at $19350 or so. This is about $1000 less than the Legacy L/SE wagons.

I am wondering what the differences are. Aside from the body cladding (OB) and sunroofs (L/SE), I don't see much of a difference. Can anybody help me? Should I see one as a much better deal than the other?

Thanks,
    Tamara
    have a heavier duty suspension and bigger tires. Compared that to the Legacy wagons.
    I believe their tires are larger, but the shocks/struts just have higher mounting points. I don't think it's heavier duty than that.

-mike
  • originalbitmanoriginalbitman Member Posts: 920
    A while back I offered the plastic wood from my 01 Legacy free for the asking. I had swapped it out for the standard L black/gray dash pieces. I had a response but lost it. Anyone interested? The pieces include:

Shifter surround
    HVAC surround
    Left side of wheel fog/cruise panel.

(sorry for the cross post)
    bit
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Tamara,

There isn't much difference. You can do a comparison on the Edmunds main page to see all of them. Basically the Outback has a slightly raised suspension and higher profile tire. It also has more head room due to power driver seat and no sun roof. The outback also has the outside plastic trim/cladding. Otherwise there are just a few little odds/ends but overall they are the same vehical. Both are great.

--jay
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    About the only "functional" difference that I can think of (aside from the additional ground clearance and larger tires) is the standard limited slip rear differential on the Outback -- it's not available on the Legacy LSE. Otherwise, they are going to be VERY similar vehicles.

I specifically chose the OB over the Legacy in 01 when I bought my OB because of the LSD rear end...I think it's a very worthwhile feature to have in the really nasty stuff. Having said that, though, I would probably choose the LSE if I were walking into the showroom today. It's an outstanding value, a bit more fun to drive than the OB, and doesn't have the 2 tone cladding (which I've never really fallen in love with). Either one, though will be a great choice!

Brian
    Thanks for the responses. I didn't realize the OB base wagon had the LSD. That does seem to tip the scales a little bit.

Where do people store their cds in the Legacy/OB? I think I tried to put a case in that little storage compartment under the radio, and it didn't quite fit. Do people keep their cds in the center console?

Thanks again,

Tamara
    I keep my CDs in the console. Of course, between my wife and kids, none of the CDs are in their right box (Drives me nuts, no pun intended). As for OB vs. L/SE, choose the one you like. Let your emotion have a little fun.

Greg
    01 OB in Winestone /mud/sand/salt/ice
  • ffsteveffsteve Member Posts: 243
    CDs in the console. After almost two years of juggling the individual cases (and trying to match up the right CD to the right case) I bought a small zipper book that can hold about 40 CDs - it slips into the center console just fine and best of all, does't slap from side to side like the cases would when cornering. Cases are now stacked in a closet at home.
    Steve
  • scubazscubaz Member Posts: 4
    I recently bought a 03 LL Bean. I have a dog gate from my old OB that used pressure top and bottom for the gate. Can I use this with the Bean? If not, why not? It looks like it would press far enough away from the moonroof.

Thanks.
    S
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    I was very tempted to go for the L SE. Still am, but...

The base OB has the All Weather Package. The OB has larger breaks, better suspension (IMO, and I believe the seat is height adjustable. You are giving up on the dual moon roofs.

I think the price is now more comparable as you can snag a Base OB for about $20,300-$20,500.

Has anyone had problems with the headroom in the rear seat of the OB? I sat in the Legacy GT and was almost bumping the roof.

Decisions Decisions... Wish it could be one of each. lol

- Lou
    Lou - where can you get a 2003 OB for $20300? The MSRP is over $23000, and Edmunds lists the TMV at about $22000.

The 2002 OB doesn't come standard with the all weather package. I have found one at a dealer about 2 hours away - new, but with 3600 miles on it, manual transmission, for $20500. If I could get a 2003 for that price, I'd go for it! (I live in Arkansas, so shopping at a car dealer in the DC area is definitely out - unless they deliver)

In fact, I was going to write to ask the list if the $20500 price sounded reasonable for a car like this. I guess I'd still like to know what people think....

Tamara
  • xccoachlouxccoachlou Member Posts: 245
    Here are the links...

Liberty Subaru Base Outback with 5 Spd. The 20,299 is on their "specials" page. Unfortunately, I don't think they deliver to Arkansas.

Van Bortel Subaru

The Van Bortel site reports a $500 cash back incentive although their prices are higher.
    What year was your other OB? If its 00->03 then it should fit w/o a problem. Pre 00 had a different body style so I dunno if it would fit.

-mike
    My local dealer in NY was running ads for '03 base model OB wagons with automatic for $21.6K, about $800 less with stick. And the '03 included the AWP and CD. That is in your ballpark, and you would be getting a new model. You are currently comparing a year old used OB with a new Legacy.

Last year I was willing to go $2k higher for the OBW over the Legacy L wagon (neither had sun roofs then) for the following items std on the OBW:

Limited slip rear and more ground clearance (I live with snow), power drivers seat, upgraded headlamps (4 bulb vs 2 bulb) with fogs (which I re-aimed for more 'down the road light'), better roof rack, larger tires on alloy wheels, rock salt and stone resistant lower body cladding.

You have to decide whether these items are important to you (or maybe even fall in the negatives category).

Steve
    Like the idea of realigning the fog lights. I might give it a shot.

Tamara - can I ask which one you like emotionally? and what color?

Greg
    I like the Outback! But, until now, I didn't think we could afford one. The Legacy is nice, but sunroofs/moonroofs don't speak to me. I like the strange two tone body. I like the look of the raised suspension. I like the idea of the rear LSD (even if I never use it here, which might be true). I'd love to have the all weather package. I don't need it much, but sometimes (like tomorrow morning when it will be 7 degrees outside) it just seems like it would be handy.

I am not sure, however, that I can get my local dealer to match prices with dealers in NY, NJ, or DC. I will go and ask, but I'm sure he'll just laugh at me. That is why we are considering last year's model at another dealer 2 hours away. It would be a way to get into an Outback.

Also, the local dealer has those low mileage 2002 OBs that we may go for. They are automatics, which we don't really want. It is a tough decision, drive 2 hours for a car we'd like better or buy local and save the hassle.

As for the colors, I really like the red and white ones, the seamist green is OK. The dark blue is OK, too. In a perfect world I'd get a red one, probably.

Sigh.

Tamara