Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Yes, I think there was. You can try nhtsa.gov if you want to look it up. I think it was also announced at Subaru.com.

Heads up - anyone currently buying a new Subie? If you have a Galyan's in your area, they offer a $25 store certificate just for test driving a Subie, and $250 if you buy one! :-)

There's one in Gaithersburg, MD, but they are not nationwide (though there are many locations).

I'm going to get one for my little sister, she's actively shopping for a Forester right now.

-juice
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    I know that Subs sold overseas have higher rated towing capability than the ones sold in North America.

See http://www.autoweb.com.au/start_/showall_/id_SUB/doc_sub0210182/c- ms/news/newsarticle.html
    for example.

Does anyone know why?
    Are those australian cars equipped with transmission coolers, HD transmissions, oil coolers or any other parts which would explain the diffrence?
    Or does this simply reflect the nature of our litigious society, as once explained here?

The reason I ask is that I tow a 2400-2500 lbs boat/trailer rig for distances ranging from 10 miles to 60 miles (yes, with trailer brakes and with transmission cooler) and I wonder if I should expect any drivetrain surprises in the future. So far so good.

BTW, the handling is surprisingly good even at speeds of 65 mph (I try not to go higher than that). I use a 3rd gear lock for lower speeds and uphills.
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    Reason:
    Because of someone called "Sue Happy" here in USA ;-)

-Dave
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    The recall will be announced starting late June. It has to do with the rear suspension. The vendor did not coat the part(s) properly and they are prone to rust. Similar recall to the front springs on some 00? models. They will inspect, clean and apply oil and a wax? sealant. There was a thread opened for this.

Greg
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    that we don't: A self-leveling rear suspension and a full-size spare tire, both of which would be greatly appreciated by those who tow.

Having said that, I too agree that the biggest reason is for the fear of lawsuits here in the USA.

BTW, '03 H-6 Outback wagons are now rated to tow 2400 pounds, if you have trailer brakes. In the past, they were limited to 2000 pounds.

Bob
    There is a definitive, proven scientific explanatoin for that: Lawyers! ;-)

Tow ratings are higher in the UK also, even on models without the self-leveling suspension.

-juice
  • viktoria_rviktoria_r Member Posts: 103
    also, will they notify by mail? tx
  • montsuemontsue Member Posts: 6
    How do the dual moonroofs work on the Outback? Do they both slide open or does the front just pop-up? I can't figure out how they could both slide open without the front interfering with the back
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Front pops up, back slides.

DaveM
  • luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    Anyone heard anything about future OBs? I saw the pics of the proposed 05 Legacy Turbo....nice. Wondering if OBs are going to change in 04-05 as I will be in the market (trading in my 00 OB).

Cheers.
    It's still early, but it looks like they'll be wider and longer. I hope they use more aluminum to keep weight down, like they did with the Forester (hood and roof rails are alum).

-juice
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    another spy pic @ auto express:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_library/dir_19/car_portal_pi- c_9730.jpg?7000

plus video of testing at Nurburging
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/video_gallery/video_gallery_story.ph- p?id=36159

unfortunately, my quicktime isn't working, so haven't seen the video.

despite some camouflage, you can make out most of the lines evident in the apex "first pics".

I'm surprised the door handles are the (now)old-fashioned flip-up kind, as everyone (Subaru included....Forester & Impreza) seem to be going to the grab-and-pull kind.

Pic view is from front 3/4, so you get a bit of the side profile and can see definite "shoulder" lines and a very sculpted hood.
    The white one with all that tape looks like a freezer lying down! :-)

I like it, though, nice and boxy rear, front looks more aggressive.

-juice
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    1) Looks bigger but that could be because of all the junk they have pasted to it. My hope is that its 3-4in wider and 6-10in longer but I seriously doubt that will happen.

2) Hood scoop means turbo. Its likely the 2.5L with 225hp but we can all hope its the 300hp version or the H6 turbo from the show car.

3) Yikes those are big rims!

4) The front end looks more like the STi and both are moving toward the B11 show car front end look (at least to my eye).
  • rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    What d'yer think, did they go back to a more conventional single sunroof (hope so) or will this be another two-holer?
  • mrk610mrk610 Member Posts: 378
    Went to the dealer today to get my filter and crush washer. The guy that took care of my seemed very nice . So I asked if he is new and he said that he is the new service manager . I said great now I may start to bring my car back in for service. He said that they had a lot of complaints about the old manager . We talked for about 10mins concerning the issue's with my car ,and he said that he has to find out when the dist service rep is in the area . Who by the way is also new . He wants me to drop my car off so they can hear the cold engine knock . I'll cross my fingers again and see what happens .

Mike k
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Looks like 1 big roof :)

The model you see there is probably a 2.0l Turbo version, very common in non US markets due to high taxes on vehicles with >2.0 displacement.

-mike
  • wheelz4wheelz4 Member Posts: 569
    Auto Express has more info and pics of the new Legacy......unfortunately, the pics are only in the mag and not on the web....will try to check the newsstand later but it may be a few days or a week before we get the new issue. Anyway, here's a link to the article:
    http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=36395
  • jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Just curious: Are all new Subarus built with safety cage construction, and what is your opinion on the new Saab 9-2s coming out next year?
    From the above autoexpress article posted by Mike (wheelz4):

"By employing a completely new dual exhaust system, Subaru has also been able to tone down the distinctive boxer sound, a move it feels will help attract a wider range a buyers."

No more Where's the Porsche; I hear it but I only see a Subaru.

I personally love the boxer sound as I winds to redline.

DaveM

P.S. Thanks for posting the link, Mike.
  • ncvolncvol Member Posts: 196
    I'd like to see them improve the cargo space by a few cubic feet.

And my biggest question for Saab is why their first foray into AWD went into something small. I'd love to see them put Subaru's AWD system into their 9-5 wagon.
    I have dual exhaust on my SVX. It does tone down the boxer sound a bit. But the SVX is really so silent with the stock exhaust you don't hear anything :)

-mike
    I bet they go with one moonroof.

Hey, I noticed the B11S-ish grille too. Very subtle cue.

Paolo: yes, all Subies have a safety cage, I think they have for quite a while. Note that the Forester, Impreza, and Legacy are all IIHS "Best Picks" for safety, and that's the industry's toughest test.

We've talked a lot about the Saaburu 9-2. I think it's a mistake for Saab to offer a non-turbo version, big-time, because right now all Saabs are turbos.

I do like the idea of putting a more plush interior in a WRX and charging more for it. We'll see how they execute.

-juice
    I hope they go with one moonroof as I've never been a fan of the dual moonroofs.

DaveM
  • schizaschiza Member Posts: 31
    Update: Subaru told us they will be replacing our car with a new one. They couldn't figure out what the problem was.

Even though I was disappointed in having the stalling issue. My loyalty to Subaru has strengthened for the customer service they provided. We own 2 Subaru's (LL Bean & WRX). My WRX has had no problems exept for the clutch shudder plagued with the earlier models which the dealer replaced the clutch and has been running great with 20K miles. Subaru's commitment to customer service has sold me on being a loyal customer for a long time. Now we're looking forward to our New LL Bean which the dealer said should be ready by Saturday.
  • nygregnygreg Member Posts: 1,936
    Great news! Customer service like that will keep many of us Subaru owners. Are you getting the same color, etc?

Greg
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    That's certainly good news, John :)

-Dave
  • hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    Legacy L SE wagon on the way for Mother's day present! To complement the current WRX

hg
  • schizaschiza Member Posts: 31
    Yes we're getting the same exact color Pearl White. Can't wait to pick it up. They gave us a decent pontiac Grand Am in the mean time for a rental. I'm very impressed with Subaru's commitment to customer service.
    Sweet John. I also says you were tactful with your negotiating with them. Kudos to you.

hg: NICE present! :-)

-juice
  • fdourfdour Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone out there drive an OB H6 sedan? I've had a Rabbit, an Explorer, now and Audi A6 Avante. Now I want a sedan. The best thing about the Audi was the AWD. Very secure feeling in all weather. But it is heavy and not very exciting to drive. Plus I just felt funny putting kids with muddy cleats in the back seat. I'm considering the Passat (4motion and FWD, new and pre-owned) and a pre-owned Saab 9-5 SE. I just don't want to spend $40K on a car. The OB looks good, but the back seat is a little tight.
    Any comments out t here?
  • gtlimitedguygtlimitedguy Member Posts: 6
    I can't wait to see the next generation Legacy when it comes out. I hope that they are able to maintain the high standard of quality and standard features while keeping prices in check...just as they did when replacing the 95-99 with the Y2K-present version. Just don't mess with the sound of that BOXER! I love it! A former coworker always told me that my car sounded like a sewing machine. He was just jealous because his crappy Jetta would keep him stranded when we got about an inch of snow! LOL
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    My wife owns a 00 Limited Sedan and loves it. She wanted a trunk for "hiding things" and leather. Yes, the rear of the OB is a little tight for three, even if they are 11 year olds. We have no problem with puttin muddy soccer boys in the back as the leather is easy to clean. I have an VDC Wagon. The H6 is smoother and more powerful (which is preferable when you're carrying a full load). And the VDC gives you a great sound system.
  • self_mechanicself_mechanic Member Posts: 95
    According to JD Power initial quality study, Subaru ranks 13 out of 15 with 146 defects/100 cars. Industrial average is 133. Even Hyundai ranks better than Subaru. There is something fishy about this study. I sure don't have any problem with my Bean except the recall. May be that counts as 100 defects (lol). CR will be a better indicator for reliabilty IMHO.

http://www.jdpower.com/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2003028

Alland
  • newcar4newfamnewcar4newfam Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the link Alland.

I also found it interesting that they said the American Subaru plant shows higher quality ratings than the Japanese plant. I had thought that most of the recalls and problems with Subies were coming from the American built Legacys and Outbacks.

I agree, Consumer Reports is probably a more realistic source for such information.

Barkley
  • hgutsteinhgutstein Member Posts: 65
    Also nice wife! Also, nice price. About $600 under invoice. Not quite fitzmall prices but OK for about an hours worth of negotiating. Great deal for the money - to my surprise my wife liked it better than the heavily hyped Passat wagon, that cost several thousand more!

hg
  • nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Sounds about right to me based on the people I know here. Most have had to take their Subarus back to the dealer for something and many have had to go back 2 or 3 times. Nothing major but eveything from leaking moon roof, to leaky door seals, electrical gremlins, rattles, leaky radiator, and a variety of other small things. I think everyone was happy that all was covered under warranty. No engine or transmission problems that I know of.

Its part of the current survey but our 2k OB Ltd went back more than 10 times in 24 months for defects. Since then its been fine but initial quality was pretty crappy.
    IQ means the first 90 days, when it's under a full warranty. So to me, who cares?

Show me the "right after the warranty expires" study, i.e. the Murphy's Law effect.

Also, they are counting one tiny, meaningless CEL with the same weight as complete spontaneous combustion. Yeah, that's fair.

90 days is, at best, a forecast, a SWAG, if you will, at long-term reliability.

Look at their Durability study, it's done on 5 year old models, and to me it's far more significant.

-juice
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Anybody tried replacing the wiper blades on their Outback? On every other car I've owned, you just buy new blades and slide them in. That works on the Outback's rear wiper, but the OEM front struts do not take universal blades. After three trips to the auto parts store, a cut finger, 2 hours of my time, and about $15 wasted, I ended up up buying entirely new Bosch struts and blades for the front. I'm really surprised the OEM front struts did not take the universal blades (universal blades are too wide); that would have been a 5 minute, $4 job. Anyways, just wanted to post a warning to other unsuspecting folks!

Craig
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    When it came time to replace the wipers on my '00 Outback (probably the first time was in Spring '01), I put on Anco replacements (not just refills, but the metal arm frame as well). These are the ones: http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/ancowipers.html. Now I'm on Bosch replacements (http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/bosmicedwipb.html). Both clipped onto the OEM arm just fine. I do remember the OEM wiper to be rather thin though.

Once you put either of those on, they will take their respective replacement refills just fine.

-Brian
  • aviatorvisaaviatorvisa Member Posts: 21
    I replaced the wiper blades with refills I bought at Walmart for about $4. Look past the Anco and TripleEdge refills and look for the OEM replacement refills (sorry, I can't remember the manufacturer's name) which come in narrow widths. They are only the rubber part of the refill and you need to use the two shiny metal support blades that are on the original wiper blades. These refills are also pretty long which is ideal since one of the wipers is a little longer. It's very easy to do once you find the right refills.
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I saw the narrow refills at Kragen but thought they were quite expensive. Ended up buying Anco replacements (like Brian above) from Walmart for almost the same cost. 8~)

Jim
  • fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    are pretty much the norm today on many new cars. My past two Toyota's used them, as does my Honda and my most recent Ford. The old style wide ones are just that - a legacy product. Time to move forward!!!

Steve
    I never use refills, I always replace the whole unit, cause that springy action that is on there helps hold the blade against the window, if you are only replacing the rubber portion it's not gonna work as well as replacing the whole she-bang. IMHO.

-mike
    Craig: they take "N" blades, as in narrow. You can find refills (I did), but they are slightly less common. Look for 21N, 19N, etc. The number is the length.

I usually refill once, then replace.

-juice
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    I replaced my OEM wipers (on an 01 outback) with Bosch's MicroEdge wipers (the whole blade, not just the rubber) and they are awful. The Trico OEM's were much better, with less streaking, MUCH quieter, and much cheaper. After all the marketing hype surrounding Bosch wipers, I thought I'd try them -- after 2 months with them, I'm ready to trash them and go back to the OEM Trico's. At least they were exceptionally easy to install...30 seconds tops.

B
    Could it be something on your windshield? I've had problems with wipers when there is a film on the glass.

-mike
  • bkaiser1bkaiser1 Member Posts: 464
    Could be something on the windshield, but it would be very coincidental that the new wipers started chattering/streaking immediately. Even the 2 year old OEM's cleared the glass better...I only replaced the originals as a precaution before leaving on a 2,000 mile road trip.
    B
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    Wouldn't hurt to give the new wipers a cleaning with some windshield washer fluid. They could have some powder or whatnot left over from manufacturing that is causing the chatter. Definately give the glass a cleaning as well.

BTW, I have the Bosch's on my OB and have had no problems so far - this after probably 1 year of use. They're not even really that worn out at all. I haven't seen much of any difference over the ANCO's, so I'll probably switch back to those.

-Brian
  • goosegoggoosegog Member Posts: 206
    Just two weeks out of warranty and with only 36,000 km on the clock I hear what I think is a rattling/buzzing heat shield on the exhaust system. First problem with Erfie other than the Firestones' white letters coming off.

Anyone else suffered this exhaust problem on a 2000 OB wagon? And what was the fix?