Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback

Comments

• needanewcarneedanewcar Member Posts: 3
    You're right, that is exactly the problem. With a sedan the rear window is much closer so the view isnt as wide!

That being said, the legacy also has a thick pillar and I find that bothersome.

I can adjust my side mirrors so I guess I can see as wide as I need to
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    RO-
    Short of getting a narrower width mirror, it will take getting use to. What I've done is adjust my mirror where both pillars shows up equally on each side. After a while, I don't notice them there anymore.

-Dave
  • keith53keith53 Member Posts: 4
    Hi. Dumb question I know but how do you check the ATF level in a Outback ('01 6 cyl). The manual says there's a dipstick on the right side of the engine (looking from the front) near the firewall, but for the life of me I can't find it. Thanks for any responses.

Keith
  • hypovhypov Member Posts: 3,068
    where the manual guided you, look farther down in the vacinity where the AT meets the engine.

Finding it is one, getting to it is another.

-Dave
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Dip stick should be yellow, if that helps.

-juice
  • silverladysilverlady Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the tip, but I guess my dealer is not willing to try this. As it is under warenty, I don't dare try to do anything on my own. I feel the dealer should fix it, but since it only leaks at this one car wash, they won't fix it. I am very disappointed with the warenty fix! Love the car, hate the service department I must deal with!
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    I've seen a name mentioned repeatedly but cannot recall it for the life of me. Who's the best for mail order Sube parts? I did a Google search and was lost in a jungle of aftermarket imitator parts, used parts, reconditioned parts and the occasional OEM part here and there. I want OEM Subaru front brake rotors. Thx

IdahoDoug
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    Opinions will vary but I have had great luck with the two orders I have placed at 1stsubaruparts. They took my Subaru credit card dollars without any issues and I received exactly what I ordered.
  • c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    www.subaru-parts.com
    www.subaruparts.com
    www.newsubaru.com
    www.allsubaru.com

Pick the one closest to you with the best price.

Craig
  • dcm61dcm61 Member Posts: 1,567
    Also, have a friendly conversation with your local Subaru dealer's parts department. Ask if they will give you a discount. "Mechanics / Jobbers" discount is usually 20% off list. I asked at my dealer about 12 years ago and have been getting the discount ever since; I don't even have to mention it as they give it to me automatically. :-)

DaveM
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    Ditto on 1stsubaruparts. They are in Washington state. I called them to verify part numbers, prices, and their address. Then sent Subaru bucks to cover the purchase.

Also, you can look-up lots of parts on their site.

Very pleasant experience.

Jim
  • idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    Thank you kindly

IdahoDoug
  • nic519nic519 Member Posts: 9
    Hi,

I am interested in buying a used 97ish Outback.

I have owned serveral Toys and have had nothing but great experiences.

I have looked at the consumer rating for this year (97) on Edmunds and they are not particularly inspiring.

Several people metioning alternater problems, the gaskets, eletical problems, and of course the recall on the suspension. Still, I am taking about a population of 14 reviews with maybe 5 bad ones. Thats high for the number of reviews.

So, please help me by giving honest testimonials as to your experience.

The car I am looking at is a 97 OB, LT and has I think 140k on it and is going for $3995. The odometer was rolled back and I don't know why, and that bothers me, but it fits the bill.

Honestly, I want the car because it really meets my needs, but I can't buy something that I will be sinking money into. I have a great 96 LC with low mls that I am selling to cut costs in my life.
    Buying something that I will be sinking cash into is defeating the point. I need 2 years of trouble free ownership, after which the car could die and I wouldn't care.
    Rolled back odo is a major red flag, I'd walk away, could be a real money pit.

-juice
  • rob_mrob_m Member Posts: 820
    I had to have my odometer replaced at 38k. The new one was set to zero, and there is a sticker on the door post.
    Check for such a sticker, in that case.

I'd want to see service documentation as well.

-juice
    I did a carfax on it and it looks like it had 120k on it in 2001-2002. It then went to a dealer, and sat there from March - November. The next inspection showed 70k on the odo. If the odo was replaced, I would imagine it should be zero, not 70k. I think it was rolled back somehow. There is a linear progression in milege till it went to the dealer for sale. I think they couldn't sell it with the mls it had and it was sitting around costing them $$$, so they cheated.

I don't know.

The car really siuts my needs and the price is right, and it has all the options, but I would rather buy it from a person who had all the maintenace records then a dealer with no idea.

I do know that the previous owner had it for about a year then sold it to a private dealer. He bought it with the rolled odo.

My inclination is that the thing Is a money pit - why else would the guy buy it and sell it so soon?
    Too many unknowns for my comfort level.

It is hard to find a used Subie for under $5 grand, though, even with high miles, unless it's more than a decade old.

-juice
    I'd follow my gut impression and keep looking. There have to be quite a few used 96 - 99 Outbacks around.
    I aggree.

So tell me, are these reliable?

This is like a tacticle thing for me to save money. I want a used cheap car. It doesn't have to be particularly beautiful and high mls don't really bother me eigther - I don't do a lot of driving.

My other options are a used pathfinder or 4runner.

I'm comfortable with high mls on either of these because of there reputaion and my own personal experience, but I'ld rather have the OB.

Are the OB's comperable to these others in terms of reliablity?

Thanks
    It'll probably cost less to own and operate than either SUV, but to be honest a cheap FWD beater will cost you less if cost is all that matters.

Honestly, I think with high miles what matters is how the original owner took care of it. I don't think you can expect a 4Runner or a Pathfinder with 140,000 miles to be reliable, not any more.

-juice
    Im sure that everyone has had some type of problem at one time.

I had a 96 Outback, traded for an 03 Outback at 85k. Did maintenance, tires and brakes. No other reason than wanting a new car. I have a 99 GT sedan with 110k. So far, maintenance, one set of tires at 40k and one set of brakes at 80k. I drive this 90 miles a day.
    I'd really consider spending a little more. 140k miles and any car or truck is pretty much spent. By that age *everything* is about to do. Exhaust, wheel bearings, water pumps, belts, hoses, etc.

If you spend maybe $8-9 grand you can get a '98-99 with maybe 60k miles or so, plenty of life left in it.

-juice
    For 8-9g I can keep my LC.

Thanks for the help.

I have no idea what to do.
  • steine13steine13 Member Posts: 2,818
    ...are just painful, they're so expensive.

The last clean '97 I saw on a lot was nice enough that I took a closer look... outback, leather, 5sp, all the stuff... 169k miles... for $5k.

It seems everybody wants an older Subie snow car, and under $5, it gets ugly. Best bet is a '99 Legacy L or some such, should be significantly below $10 even with short miles... and then you better be sure the maintenane has been done... these ain't no Toyotas...

Still, one of these days I'm gonna get me one.
    -Mathias
  • friendly_jacekfriendly_jacek Member Posts: 96
    The phase 1 2.5 engines have one major weakness:
    headgaskets. 97 is about the worst year with this problem. I would definitively stay away. It is possible that there is a mild/intermittent problem already and thus the car is changing hands so much.
    If you consider an used subaru, go with 2.2 engine (almost indestructible) or at least phase 2 2.5 (99 or 00+ depending on model) with the less catastrofic external HG leak .
    Good luck!
  • amsbearamsbear Member Posts: 147
    ... of course juice gets post #10000.

Alan
    98 OBW Ltd
    I've read a lot about the gaskets - definately don't want that.

So, you think an older or newer subi is a better bet?
    It's true, Subies do hold their value well. Very well, actually, if you look here the WRX is best-in-class:

http://money.cnn.com/pf/features/lists/resale_values/

I agree with jacek that the 2.2l is probably a best bet at that age. Look for a Legacy Brighton or L model from around '95-99, those might be a tad cheaper.

-juice
  • tracker175tracker175 Member Posts: 2
    I know Subaru says OB and GT can tow 2700lbs,But does anybody here tow any boat around 1600lbs.If so I would love to hear about it.
                          TIA

John
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Keep in mind, if the trailer is over 1000 lbs, you need trailer brakes.

Bob
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    How common is the head gasket problem? Are we talking 2-3% (97-98% trouble free) or worse? Is it so common that used car buyers should stay from 97's as suggested above?

I'm the original owner of a 97 Outback with 75K miles. Other than routine maintainance and replacing the tires and brake pads, I haven't spend a nickel repairing the car in seven and a half years.

So is the car fairly reliable or am I just whistling past the graveyard?
  • zman3zman3 Member Posts: 857
    I don't think anyone here is going to be able to answer that question, even though I wish we could. It is definitely a vast minority, but I have no clue if it is a fraction of 1% or a few percent.

I hope someone knows enough to comment.

Karl
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Bass boat, I'd tow a bass boat with an outback, depending on the length and terrain of the trip.

-mike
    all I know is if you go to the edmunds used car research for th 97 OB, there are quite a few posts for the head gasket problem.

Other problems include alternater, electical and of course the recall on the suspension.
    all I know is if you go to the edmunds used car research for th 97 OB, there are quite a few posts for the head gasket problem.

Other problems include alternater, electical and of course the recall on the suspension.

I think most have the headgasket problem around 80-90k but I'm just "recalling" at this point.
  • grahampetersgrahampeters Member Posts: 1,786
    G'day

The Outback is a superb tow vehicle. There has just been an extensive test here in Australia, towing caravans into central Australia which is very demanding. A lot of the 4WD magazines have written it up as they were very impresssed.

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/story_page/0,8269,9549578%255E2- 7286,00.html

I addition, Edmonds list the Outback amongst their ten best two vehicles amongst things like the Dodge Ram and Shevrolet Suburban

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/102426/article.html

If you are towing, auto is a better idea and definitely remember the supplementary brakes.

Cheers

Graham
    dcab: 67k miles on my '98 and not a penny out of pocket.

I think the thing is people come here to complain, but conversely you don't get people posting "nothing wrong with mine again this week".

CR totals up stats like that, Forester still scores average or better in every single category for every single year it was made, FWIW.

My Forester tows about 1500 lbs well. Feels slower and braking distances are longer but what vehicle wouldn't?

-juice
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    here's a Forester near my parents house back in July:

If that doesn't work, it's the last pic in this album: http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4292788623

-Brian
    That's a decent load for a Forester to haul.

Outback is heavier and the longer wheelbase would only make it more stable for towing.

-juice
  • ace57ace57 Member Posts: 13
    I wouldn't do it! Short wheelbase, unibody construction, don't believe the ratings, I would cut by 33% any towing ratings from the government.

I have a small Champion bassboat, an '05 Outback, and a Toyota Tundra. Only the Tundra would get the nod.

Plus I would use a class 4 or 5 fullframe hitch with a 2" receiver, I seriously doubt the Subie would meet those requirements.

Trucks are for towing bassboats to keep everyone safe. Period

jmho though

ace57
  • dcabdcab Member Posts: 101
    My alternator was replaced under a recall in 2001 even though it was working fine.

There hasn't been a recall on the suspension for my car. Subaru did have spring guards installed under a recall in 2001 to protect against corrosion.

The only other recall has been to check the throttle body assembly.

I suspect that most 97's have more than 80K miles by now. I'd love to know what percentage of them have had the head gasket problem. Maybe my car will blow up tomorrow ;), but I can't recommend it highly enough for the way that it's performed thus far.
  • tracker175tracker175 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks to all the Subaru guys for answering my question.I tow with a 02 Liberty and no problems,
    But i like to trade in every three years,and always had a thing for Subaru.Did I mention turbo and 5 speed? But my trailer doesn't have brakes so I think I'll pass and look some more.
                    Thanks Everybody
    That's a bit of overkill, but it'll never be unsafe.

Guess if you have two vehicles picking the heavier duty one for towing makes sense. But what if you own a Miata and a Forester like me? :o)

I think Subies can take a Class II hitch. I think that's plenty for a small bass boat, aren't they hollow fiberglass shells?

-juice
    The boat is light. The outboard engine isn't.

Bob
    If you mean a championship boat with all the goodies, sure.

I guess I've seen more small, fiberglass boats with a 25 hp or so engine, mostly for fishing in fresh water lakes and stuff.

-juice
  • jay_24jay_24 Member Posts: 536
    Going by the post from Traker175. I'll take a guess he has a Traker "Pro Team" model 175. (trackerboats.com)
    Motor, trailer and boat package weight of 1592lbs.

Add 21 gallons of gas and 21 gallons to the live well and I think your close to 2000lbs. Not to mention all the other goodies you add to the boat.

Boat trailers for these smaller boats almost never come with trailer brakes. Why I don't know but I bet it has to do with being in/out of lakes and possible salt water a high number of times.

So I'll agree with Tracker175 and ace57. Get a bigger tow vehical it will server you better in the long run and be safer. If your like my Dad the boat is hooked up more than not during the summer months and makes a long trip or two as well. (700+ miles round trip) I don't see any Subie towing that much (1500+ lbs.) on a steady basis. Maybe once a month for short trips.

--Jay
    As we all know the '05 Outback is rated to tow 2700/3000 (H-4/H-6), but only 1000 if there are no trailer brakes.

That's here in North America. In Europe, Australia, and other parts of the world the essentially same vehicle is rated to tow almost 4000, depending on the engine. There is still a trailer brake restriction, but it's closer to 1500 in those markets. So, if anything, the North American Outbacks are underrated by global Subaru standards.

I think most of us here agree this is due to nothing more to the fact that Americans will sue over the least infraction, therefore SOA is being overly cautious with their tow restrictions.

Bob
    Also note that the 1000 lb limit (with no trailer brakes) applies to heavy duty trucks in some cases. I'm sure the Liberty has the same restriction.

-juice
  • ace57ace57 Member Posts: 13
    most states trailer brake laws state that any trailer with a GVWR over 3000 lbs. must have trailer brakes, not 1500 lbs.

fiberglass bassboats are not "hollow shells", and indeed weigh a pretty decent piece once you add the motor, rigging, supplies etc. A Tracker 175 with boat motor and trailer will probably weigh around 2K loaded. Also, Trackers are "tin" boats, and fiberglass bassboats weigh considerably more, foot for foot.

The problem with towing with a Subie is the cars weight and short wheelbase, especially if you need to launch the boat at a ramp or are towing at highway speed where wind shear/sway is a factor.

Y'all can think what you want, but take it from me, towing anything heavier for any distance with anything more than a jonboat with a Subaru is plum crazy! I sure don't want to be on the road when you're doing it!

ace57