Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara

Comments

• mgw1mgw1 Member Posts: 11
    I had the same concern about having to use premium gas in my Solara SLE. Mine is a '00 with all available options except gold trim and it now has over 17K miles. I've only used regular unleaded and never had a problem--plenty of power, no knocking, etc. It's by far the smoothest, quietest car I've ever owned. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. As compared to the Honda Accord coupe, I find the Solara more plush and comfortable, easier to get in rear sear, and far more leg room for rear seat passengers. Good luck with your final selection.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    '00 DWP SE-V6 5-speed: great zip, gas mileage sometimes unbelievable, somewhat bouncey ride now and then during spirited driving, gas tank baffling (I think) could be better BUT has anyone out there experienced the on-again/off-again non-operation of the driver's side power window? Sometimes it works, sometimes not. Toyota sez "we need to see (read that 'verifty' the problem prior to fix" AND I'm afraid it will work perfectly in front of the service tech...........
    Thanks for listening and over to you, cliffy1 (or any other of you tuned in folks I've noted in monitoring these forums)
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    Thanks for the confidence, but I really can't help with this one. If it works when the service guy looks at it, try to engage him in conversation about the car. These guys are funny this way. Their instinct is to say they can't do anything until it acts up for them, but if you spend a few extra minutes talking to them in a civil manner, many of them will go the extra mile to help you out.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    WOOD - Thanks! A little bit of wood REALLy dresses up the inside. I got it from www.exoticwooddash.com. The prices are reasonable and about 1/2 the price from the dealer. However, they give you WAY too much. If I installed every piece it would look quite busy inside, and a little tacky. I was at a car dealer a week or 2 ago, and the "wood girl" showed up to install wood on a new car, and it was the SAME kit - then they add $200 to put it on! ! Actually this is typical of dealer add-ons - they are VERY VERY VERY high mark up items. Lotsa profit for the dealer. They are entitled, but just be aware. I usually use these items as "deal makers" or "Throw Ins" at the end of negotiations. "OK. I'll take the car, but you will need to 'Throw In' the gold kit, mud flaps and floor mats" etc. Low cost for the dealer, high value for the buyer.

GAS - YES - your car will run fine on 87, but it is a false economy. The computer and the knock sensor will prevent knocking and pinging while using 87 - but they can only do this by constantly RETARDING the engine spark timing. The result is less power and less gas mileage! Guaranteed. It is simply the laws of physics and internal combustion engines. Anyone that used to do their own tune-ups will know this is true.

I, as well as others on this forum, found that the cost savings of using 87 was outweighed by the reduction in gas mileage, so it actually COSTS MORE per mile to run 87 than 92. Try 2-3 tanks of each from the same source - you will find this out for yourself if the overall driving is about the same for each trial. AND the car is much zippier on 92, another by-product of the more advanced timing allowed by the 92.
  • har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    I live in Northern Cali and the only rating for the premium fuel i see is 93 (i think)... Since the cars that require premium fuel need 91 octane, how about if I mix the 93 and 89 octane fuel half and half? I have no idea what the science behind the octane ratings is but that might be a way to save a few bucks here and there
  • solara11solara11 Member Posts: 78
    The mantel says use premium, use premium!. Toyota is not in on some elaborate scheme with the oil/gasoline industry to make No use premium, if it were not important. If you all wanted an economy car, try Echo, or Hybrid! I would hate to have some long term problem with a car that should go beyond 150,000 miles, easily, because I used cheap gas, and messed up my car.
  • bwiebebwiebe Member Posts: 27
    After all this talk about octane levels I got curious and pulled out the owners manual and it states that fuel with an octane rating of 87 or higher is recommended. For improved vehicle performance use premium with a rating of 91 or higher. When I asked the dealer he said regular gas was fine and will not harm the engine. I certanly haven't detected any problems and have been running on regular. I have been impressed with the power with regular and if the power improves even more with premium, look out! I'm curious about the gas mileage though as discussed by automophile. I only have about 10,000 miles on the car but haven't hit the mileage stated in the brochures. The dealer assures me that I should surpass the stated mileage in the brochure but maybe that is with premium. I think I will start to do some testing to see if the mileage increase will pay for the approx 15% preimium price for premium gas. Somehow I just don't think it will be worth it.
    From 18-month old gas mileage notes I jotted down for a few weeks after delivery of my '00 SE-V6 5 speed: First fill up=25.1; #2=27.1;#3=26.96 (used a calculator!);#4=27.86 and #5=27.5

I believe - using the 89/91/92 - the V6 will turn in surprisingly better mileage........especially on a long road trip. Enjoy!
  • phatnastycatphatnastycat Member Posts: 73
    If we knew why, should some sort of system of prior knowledge be known, then the archieving action on (for example) Toyota Solara Part VI would be much easier to fathom (to accept)........ just a little feedback here.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    For reasons yet to be determined, active discussions in Sports Cars are randomly being archived and/or made read only. At this point, these discussions must be returned to their proper setting individually.

Sorry for the inconvenience and thanks for your patience!

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owner's Clubs

• cunnrcunnr Member Posts: 9
    My 2000 Solara had the same rattle. Seems to come and go. As far as I can tell, it looks like the rear deck is vibrating slightly (for me it was both sides - although the driver side was worse). I went so far as to place some cushioned bumpers between the bottom of the rear pillar and the rear deck (you will see a gap there) and this seemed to stop the rattle. When I removed the bumpers after about a week the rattle stopped and has not reappeared - other than when I go over large bumps in the road. I had to sit in the back seat and listen while someone else drove the car to finally figure out the source of my rattle. Hope this helps.
    I busted the driver's side rearview mirror and need to replace it. I have called a few dealerships and the best price I am getting for a new mirror is $176 (ouch!!!), with another $145 to install.
    My question is, if I have the right tools, is this something that I could install myself? It appears that on the Solara you have to remove the inside door panel to connect the electrical cables and I have a friend who feels confident in doing this for me. However, while I trust my friend, I also don't know if it something that someone should really do on their own or not.
    Any advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks-
    PNC
    I actually don't think you need to remove the whole door panel. I think it is only the speaker cover in the top corner that needs removed, but I could be wrong there. It really shouldn't be that difficult a job.

Good luck.
  • scsolarascsolara Member Posts: 47
    I was wondering what it would take (how much labor) to change out the head gasket on a 2000 Solara? I was thinking of installing a thicker metal gasket (like Supra people do) to lower the compression and accomodate a larger boost from the supercharger.

Look at my new intake...

http://users.ev1.net/~gunpilot/intake/

• ka9zywka9zyw Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone had a problem with the 6 cd changer scratching your cd's. The scratches are in a circle fashion 3/8" around? Any recalls on the ad changers? 2000 ale with 14,600 miles
  • luphyluphy Member Posts: 31
    Anyone know where the thermometer for the outside temp gauge is found? I think my sensor might be a few degrees off. How much would it cost to replace, and can we do it ourselves?
    Thanks.
  • hambone32hambone32 Member Posts: 68
    Hi everyone. Has anyone heard if there will be a bigger 4 cyl. in the 2002 Solara? Also, are there any pictures of the new front/rear bumpers? I'm ready to buy one as soon as they come out. I was quoted a $1000 over invoice on a 2001, so I figure I can get that deal on a 2002, you know?
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    hambone32-

A $1,000 over invoice sounds kind of high to me! Too high. Have you checked the fair market value here at Edmunds? Maybe cliffy can help you.

fastdriver
    Thanks, Fastdriver. Yes, the dealer looked at me like I was crazy when I wanted it for less. They had "dealer advertising" packed on top of the invoice price, it was about $550, and they wanted another $500 over that. Then they took off a $700 rebate, but that's still $1050 over what they get it for. No way, not on new car at the end of a model year. I figured, if that's the deal I'll get on a 2001 in July, I'll wait until August to get a 2002. I would apreciate any advice. I'm in the Philadelphia area. Any news on a new engine? I like the 6 cyl., but it's a little too much. I also looked at a Honda Accord coupe, 2 dealers wanted $1000 and $870 over invoice for them. Nope, I left. Someone told me that they would bargain on four door models more readily, it makes sense. Any advice? Who's Cliffy?
    wow... I havent shopped around just yet (still waiting out a bit) but those prices sound pretty ridiculous.
    So they really offered it for $450 over invoice. The advertising is part of the invoice.
  • zookergillzookergill Member Posts: 4
    Two weeks ago I bought my new 2001 Solara SE V6 for invoice, no haggling. Had to shop around, and ended up going with a dealer two hundred miles away who was willing to sell at what I wanted to pay. (I expected to pay Edmund's version of invoice price, and yes that does include the advertising fee, and the dealer's invoice was actually thirty or forty dollars less. So that's what I paid.) I listed all the options I wanted, and he found the exact Solara on a lot a hundred-fifty miles away from his dealership. He absorbed the cost of fetching it to his dealership.
    Shop around, hambone32, and don't expect the local dealer can or will offer a rockbottom price.

Zooker Gill
    hambone32-

Sounds like some good advice above. Research, Research, Research. I am not an advocate of buying a car at the end of the model year, UNLESS you're going to keep it for a long time and you get a fantastic deal, because the car has already DEPRECIATED a year. Do a search for automobile buying services. I believe there are topics here in TH that discuss these services. I remember a long time ago that someone in this very group, if memory serves me, had his Solara delivered, by truck, right to his front door!

BTW, Cliffy1 works at a Toyota dealership in VA. He has been in this topic for a long time and has been a great help and source of information for Solara owners.

Good luck.

fastdriver
    cliffy1-

Quick question- my aunt is thinking of selling her 1999, sand beige, Solara SLE. She wants to get a Camry because at 80+ years old, the doors on the Solara are too big for her. She has the spoiler, side airbags and traction control. I believe those were options in 99. I don't think there is any other option that I can think of right now. She has about 9,000 miles on the car. Would you say that a "ballpark" figure for its value would be about $22,000? I know that once the 2002 models come out and she gets serious about the Camry, she will have NO trouble selling it. I know several people already who are interested in buying it. There is no way that she is going to trade it in.

Thanks.

fastdriver
    Used car values are not really my specialty. My guess is that you would be looking closer to $20 to $21K as a retail figure. We just sold a '99 with 19K miles for $22K but also sold two others for $20500 with similar miles.

The equipment and miles are what make that car so attractive. Combine that with the fact that whoever buys it will see that it really was driven by a little old lady should make the sale fairly easy.
    cliffy1-

Thanks. With only 9,000 miles, she should have no trouble getting her price.

fastdriver
    No, that would be $500 over invoice if invoice is Edmund's invoice plus $550 for dealer advertising. Don't you think that's a little high for "dealer advertising". I do. I asked him what the $550 was for he said "dealer advertising and holdback". Nope, not going for it. I used to sell cars, cliffy, and something was wrong there. They can make up any number they want to, and call it "advertising". How about the changes for the 2002's? Nobody responds to that....you have to know something cliffy.
  • radracerradracer Member Posts: 96
    What the heck are advertising fees? If I put an ad in the paper for a $200 dresser am I supposed to charge the buyer the $35 it cost me to place that ad?
    I hate this discussion but the same thing resurfaces every few month so I'll do it again. Every region in the country has an advertising fee. If you look at the Edmunds invoice data, they tell you this. They don't tell you how much it is because it varies by region. Here in the Central Atlantic Region, it is 2.1% of the base invoice. In New York and Northern CA, it is a bit higher. In Southern CA and the mid west, it is lower.

We pay this amount and it is itemized on the invoice. If you're talking about paying an amount over invoice, you need to use the real invoice. We are NOT rebated this money. It does not pay for the individual dealer's advertising expenses. It pays for Toyota's national advertising campaigns in each region.

Radracer, your analogy is flawed. A better one would be buying fries as McDonalds. If you were to ask what the store's "invoice" was on the fries, you would find that a certain percent was for the potatoes, some was for the shipping and handling and some was for McDonalds to advertise to bring customers to their franchised locations. When you spend your $.99, you are paying for the advertising on the national level.

Keep in mind, what a customer pays for a car is retail. The advertising line on the invoice is part of what the dealer pays on a wholesale level. Don't confuse the two.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    having owned toyotas and hondas, i agree the toyota invoice clearly shows the advertising fee, and i have paid it...but i wonder, why doesn't the honda dealer show advertising fees on their invoices?
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Where in the Philly Area are you? I bought my '00 Solara in Pottstown last year. I saw no mention of an advertising fee anywhere in the sales documents (though if you really wanted me to check, I'd dig the papers out again).
    Maybe ALL car makers have this advertising fee, but if they do, it's not as evident or as controversial as Toyota's. Maybe Toyota is just right up front, in your face with it? I have never seen this fee on any cars that I have ever purchased or leased. Then again, I don't think I ever purchased a car that is advertised on TV every 5 minutes like Toyota! I think this is something that should be a part of a dealer's operating budget. If Toyota wants to advertise every 5 minutes, why does the consumer have to pay for it?

fastdriver
  • zookergillzookergill Member Posts: 4
    Confused -- It's really not complicated. Cost is what the dealer pays Toyota Inc (or Honda Inc, or Ford Motor Co., or BMW), plus smiling salesmen, showroom rent, utilities, inventory interest cost and a bunch more. Price is what you pay the dealer. He wants to recover all costs and make a profit on top of that. You want the car at the lowest price, period. How far the dealer can/will go in cutting price varies, but it is rare that he will not recover his costs. When negotiating, it helps to know what his costs are, so you can judge whether his price quote is truly rock-bottom. But whether 'advertising' cost is listed separately or the accountants have buried it somewhere in the vehicle cost, it is a very real cost of every car sold. (Every branded product sold, McD's fries included, for that matter.)

Zooker Gill
  • gpoltgpolt Member Posts: 113
    The new, 2002 Camry will receive a larger 4 cyl engine this fall (2.4L). I'm assuming it is the same base engine as that in the Highlander. Having driven the current 4 cyl Solara, the extra 20 hp would be a very welcomed addition since the curremt Solara 4 cyl is underpowered. Remember that the Solara is heavier than the Camry. Toyota Customer Service (800 331-4331) is useless when it comes to - well just about everything, especially about releasing info on new models until, perhaps 6 months after the cars hit the lots. Perhaps Cliffy will impart his knowledge.

Fastdriver, for what its worth, in the Washington/VA area, used '2000 loaded V6 5 speeds with 15K miles are going for $17,500
    We all know that invoice is not what the dealer pays.
    If you're going to make US pay advertising fees, then shouldn't we make YOU pay them again when we trade in our cars? Toyota charges the dealers the advertising fee, not the customers. I guess Nike should charge everyone an extra $5 on their $30 shorts to pay for Tiger Wood's salary and mark it as "advertising fee".
    A $30 pair of shorts probably cost about $5 to make in some 3rd-world country sweatshop. So, yes Nike, along with every other manufacturer, increases the prices of their products to absorb their costs of being in business. That's how a company makes a profit on what they sell. It's a basic economics principle. You can't sell something and not attempt to cover your expenses. If you don't, you will be out of business.
    At least Toyota is being honest and letting the customer know that this expense is built into the price of their vehicles.
    Whether a manufacturer invoices this expense or not, you the consumer do pay for it. Guess what, we probably also pay for the "free" tank of gas they put into our new car, the furniture in their building, etc, etc. You even help pay for the salary of the sales guy who sold you your car.
    I know it sounds like Toyota is pulling a fast one, but they aren't. Just remember the next time you drop $70 on a shirt with one of those guys riding a horse on it, that it probably really cost about $10 to manufacturer that shirt. Part of that other $60 pays for their advertising in GQ, on TV, etc.
    If you don't like it, don't shop retail. Build your own. :D
    You've almost got it. The dealer isn't charging you anything for advertising. You made the "mistake" of asking to see an invoice and didn't like what you saw. Since you negotiated a price relative to invoice, you felt like the dealer (or Toyota) was charging you. The fee is to the dealer, not the consumer. The fact that you paid the price you did was because the dealer was trying not to loose money.

Let me put it another way. You didn't stroke your check to Toyota Motor Sales did you? You didn't see the Certificate of Origin did you? The car was not shipped from the factory to your door was it? That means you paid a retail price for the vehicle. Perhaps not the "suggested retail" price, but a retail price none the less. When you asked to see what the wholesale price of the vehicle was, you saw that the dealer paid an advertising fee for the right to own the car. You felt like you were being asked to carry a burden that was not yours. If the dealer thought he could get away with it, he probably would have said "no problem sir, I wont charge you for the advertising" but would have asked for an amount much higher over the "Edmunds Invoice" to cover what he actually pays.
  • hondaman22hondaman22 Member Posts: 7
    I am looking to buy a Toyota Solara SLE. However,
    I have noticed that the dealer's are overstocked in that car and I understand there is a manufacturer's rebate of $700.00. I was wondering if the high supply and low demand means something about this relatively new vehicle(3 yr old). Can anyone clue me in? I have test driven both the Solara and the Accord Coup and I like the drive of the Solara much better but all those cars in the lot and not many that I see on the road makes me hesitant. Any ideas folks?????
    There could be many reasons why there maybe a lot of solaras in stock... the many reasons I can think of are: 1) where you live... here in CA there are plenty of solaras on the road; 2) which dealer u visited... once again, depending on the region and the way the dealer handles things there, there could be many or little solaras in stock. Besides, why hesitate just because you don't see as many solaras on the road? You know Toyota makes great cars and how ironic issit that you're complaining about there being too few of what you want when there are tens of thousands complaining that their next door neighbors all have a Camry or an Accord. If you like the Solara, take it! You can't go wrong
    Thanks for your input. Do you own a Solara? I was just wondering since you did not hesitate to recommend it to me. Thanks for letting me know how popular it is in California. Maybe New Yorker's haven't caught on yet.
    no i dont have a solara...yet... but i've had plenty of experience with toyotas (my current pickup has 110000 miles and still running smooth). Plus, just going by the reviews, you could tell that the car has all the right components. I'd say the only viable alternatives are the Accord coupe and the Acura CL. I'd say if u have second thoughts, take a look at the base CL model if you'd be willing to put up another grand. Even though the CL costs a little more, it really costs pretty much the same as a loaded Maxima, but comes with things that the solara nor the maxima has, such as, xenon headlights, memory seats, power passenger seat, rear bucket seats (those could be a positive or a negative), roadside assistance, 3.2L V6 (more power), and 5 speed automanual tranny. I'd say $1K more is well justified over the Solara. But the solara does fit the bill very well and i doubt you will regret anything by getting the solara. :)
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    The Solara is a great buy. I traded in my Lexus for the Solara because the Solara is MUCH more comfortable, and drives exactly the same! In 2-1/2 years I have not had a single repair. The car is extremely smooth and quiet at all times, and is a great looking car. I added a little more wood trim to the inside, and it even looks like the Lexus.

Regarding the other cars you mentioned, by comparison the Solara will provide a smoother ride, and has a much roomier back seat, if those features are important to you. There is actually more knee room in the rear of the Solara than was in my Lexus.

You can't go wrong with any of them, but there are differences. Good Luck!
  • airrideairride Member Posts: 2
    I have a new 2001 SLE convertible... more fun than should be legally allowed!

One of the things I have noticed with a 1000 miles on the car now is wind noise from the left(driver side) top, while the passenger's side is extremely quiet.

I've had the dealer check it out, and didn't find any problem. Wind noise was comparable to the other car on the lot.

So, why would the noise be much louder on one side of the car vs. the other?

Other than that, I LOVE THIS CAR! Since it's illegal to drive with the top up, it's not a huge issue!
  • mayzcrazemayzcraze Member Posts: 7
    Any advice is more than welcome...I'm in the market for a new car and am considering the above choices. The CL seems like a dream but I have heard horror stories about the paint quality and shoddy panel fitting. Performance-wise, the CL wins hands-down, but what is the best bang for the buck??? Overall quality and driver satisfaction??? Would appreciate any comments...THANKS!!!
  • trd81trd81 Member Posts: 2
    anyone know if 19' rims would fir on a solara?
    Sounds like you got it down as far as the CL goes... Price-wise, I think that all three of these cars carry similar values -- pay more for the CL, and you get more... pay less for the Accord, and you get less. In terms of build quality and dependability, nobody seems to beat Toyota. But, Honda and Acura arent far off at all.

Now, concerning your inquiry about the CL... I would give the benefit of doubt that Acura would have likely fixed the problems of body panel misfits because the CL just came out for '01 and first year models do usually have some bugs. However, seeing that it's the end of the year, and that you are likely to run into a car built recently, maybe Acura did fix its problems (look at the JD Power's initial quality survey for the TL -- it finished in the top 5). I would say that the CL is somewhat of a gamble, however, because it IS technically still a first year car.

To make this short, the Solara vs. Accord seems like a matter of preference. Solara has a better ride, but the Accord handles better. Solara has more room, but the Accord is more driver oriented. Solara costs a bit more and needs premium fuel (recommended) while the Accord only sips the good ol' 87 octane. etc. etc. You can't go wrong with these cars... see what kind of deals are out there and just go for it!~
  • hud116222hud116222 Member Posts: 46
    Everyone has their preferences in cars concerning handling, space, etc.. I just passed 2,000 miles on my 01 Solara SE-V6 Five Speed. I can say that I have never driven or ridden in a smoother or more quiet car. I am completely impressed with it. I don't even mind the coin box that has been the subject of great derision in this forum. :) My golf clubs fit easily in the trunk, too. In short, I don't anyone could go wrong with the Solara.
    I got a quote from a dealer on the Solara SLE V6 and she said she could give it to me at $300.00 above invoice which sounds good especially with a $700.00 rebate afterward. However, what Edmunds calls their destination fee ($455.00) she calls a Delivery processing and handling fee. Then there is a charge of $407.00 for what she says is the delivery fee. Does Edmunds leave that out or is she giving me a story? Any answers? I am from NY by the way.