Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Conversion Van Pricing

Comments

• mboyermboyer Member Posts: 2
    We bought a Dodge Hi Top Conversion van - or shall I say we were pushed into buying it!!! we cannot afford it and we need to sell it - it seems impossible to find out how much it is worth. It is exactly one year old with about 15,000 miles.The garage were we purchased it is being very unhelpful and evasive when we asked for help.
    Anybody ideas? Please?
  • gus1943gus1943 Member Posts: 2
    Karen:
    Why doesn't Edmunds have a appraisal value listed for conversion vans. It is very hard to come up with a selling price. Car dealers only want to give you the price for the cargo van with a few upgrades. I have a '98 Ford E150 Hi-Top conversion (American Liberty). How can I figure the best selling price or trade-in. Please help.
    Thanks,

Gus Adams
  • jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    American Vans, Danielsville, Ga.
    The NADA guide does not have the '98 models listed. The 1999 Liberty had an msrp of 11,392. current whsle is 5,600. and retail is 7,560.
    The '98 likely would whsle at 4,500. and retail at 6,500.
    Add these values to the cargo van values at Edmund's for approx. market values.

Jerry
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...and one that I've asked before, but have not received a definitive answer. I will try again.

But thank the heavens for jboater! :-)

You can get the trade-in/retail for the chassis here on Edmunds.com, and then search http://www.nadaguides.com/ for a price on the conversion package.

Sorry I can't be more helpful.

KarenS
    Vans host
    Can you provide specific make and model of the conversion? I may be able to help.

mboyer,
    also check your loan contract for cancelable add-ons. These would be credit life and or disability insurance, and any other such items. It may be possible to lower your payoff and reduce any shortfall you may have. Delivery of conversion vans for the 1st nine months of 2000 are down 28% from 1999 levels and you may find a soft market for your van. If so, a price compromise may be necessary in order to sell it.

Gus1943:

A PS,
    Also check your local "auto trader" type magazines for comparables for sale.
  • gus1943gus1943 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, Appreciate your response.

Gus1943
  • edbianchi1edbianchi1 Member Posts: 8
    Hi, I've decided to buy for first time a hightop
    van, and I've been looking around and the Savana
    conversion by GMC is the one I liked the most.
    I was looking through internet and I couldn't find
    prices for used ones. I'm looking for 1997/98
    hightop with no more than 25000 miles. I know it's
    hard but...
    Also I would like to know what is the best
    conversion brand, and what are the pros and cons
    for the GMC vs Ford, Chevy, etc.
    Thank you
    Hi johnsell, did you sell you conversion van?
    Please e-mailme @ edgardo_bianchi@yahoo.com
    Thank you.
    did you sell your conversion van?
    Please e-mailme @ edgardo_bianchi@yahoo.com
    I saw your post regarding the '95 GMC in topic #18.
    I may be able to help with pricing if you can provide me with the make and model of the conversion.

Jerry

PS. Like you, I have no kids at home and I don't travel or camp with my van. I'm still going to buy another van and it will be #5.
    Once had a '95 Chevy/Tiara. Pro, very reliable over 42000 miles, averaged about 14mpg daily driving during warm weather (13 winter). Con, too much wind and road noise around doors, door hinges collect dirt quickly and adversely affect door opening/closing.
    I much prefer the '97 Ford/Coachmen I've been driving for the past 3 years.
    Hi jboater,
    Ok, this is a GMC 2500, Explore Ltd. It's has a V8-350, 2TV/VCR,nintendo, leather seats, telephone (old cellular type), CB radio, CD player,a AM-FM-cassette player, moon-roof. Remote start, radar under the panel, 61000miles. The interior is in excelent conditions, no scratches, clean carpet, etc. Beside the price I would like to know pros/cons of this heavy van. I drove it and of course you can heard the wind but it's not that bad.
    thank you so much!
    I'll let you know tommorrow what I find.

In and around '95, conversions built on the 3/4 ton chassis were sorta the norm. Mine was too.
    Also had the 350 V8.

Some here have said if it isn't Explorer, they won't buy it or, don't buy anthing but.......While I won't debate the merits of Explorer, I do think there are other converters worthy of our consideration.

Jerry
    As I thiught, Explorer is one of those converters that choose not to disclose pricing.

I'll give you what I believe is a good comparable in the "Discovery Limited" by Sherry Designs. Oddly enough, they have no pricing available after the '96 model year.

In any event, this puppie had an original msrp of 16,195. current whsle is 4,310. and retail is 5,690. As you can see, depreciation is pretty high.

You will need to add these values to the cargo van values found at Edmund's.

Jerry
  • frederick5frederick5 Member Posts: 2
    We have a 1996 Chevy 1500 Van that has the
    Gladiator (Glaval Corp., Inc.) conversion done to
    it. Anybody have information on how to add the
    conversion to the price when you go to re-sell or
    trade? Of course, dealers only want to give you
    what is listed for the van itself and forget the
    conversion even though they will up the price to a
    consumer because it has "extra" features. Any
    information ASAP would be appreciated at my e-mail
    address of: TFred296@aol.com. Thanks, Tamra
    Hi Jerry, thank you so much for your information and time. You were close enough to the price I bought the van finally ($13900). Today the mechanic said that it is in excellent conditions and that it's hard to find a vehicle 5 years old like this. The rest is history. So, I can't wait to drive it during the weekend. thanks again and keep in touch. Ed
  • conversionwrldconversionwrld Member Posts: 1
    If you or anyone who reads this is looking for pricing, maybe I can help. I have pricing on conversions from Mark III, Eclipse, Universal, Choo-Choo Customs, Southern Comfort, Tuscany, and
    can get it from any Ford certified manufacturer.
    Send your request to conversionworld@netscape.net
    THANX,
    Chuck Taylor
    ConversionWorld
  • blackvanblackvan Member Posts: 2
  • blackvanblackvan Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1995 GMC Vandura 82,000 miles converted by choo choo customs ext. is perfect black int. is perfect light gray. this van has everything! I need to find its value and n.a.d.a. says choo choo stopped converting in 87. any other pages to get accurate values?
  • havanesehavanese Member Posts: 3
    I was "sort of"looking at a conversion van last September. A 2000 Chevy with a 5.7 Explorer Conversion Limited SE. Brand new no miles. Had a couple of extra bells and whistles. I could never convince my husband to go in with me so I haggled myself for a couple of days. The dealer went down from 47,000 to 34,000. I was ready to buy, but not my husband. I am now thinking about approaching this topic with my dear hubby again...... The van is STILL sitting on the lot! Same exact one, I called the salesman. With more months sitting on the lot and all of the tax sales starting to run now, does anyone know if there would be a good chance this thing could get lowered even more? I sure wish there was a way to determine exactly what the invoice is on the conversion packages. I have always done great with purchasing cars due to researching and haggling, but this conversion stuff is turning my hair gray! By the way, I don't know if this matters, but I only live two hours from the Explorer factory. I don't know if that helps with costs since it is not transported across the country.... Please help, if anyone can. I really want this van, but I have to be able to get it down as low as I possibly can. I am not sure if it is at the lowest.....
    Thanks!!!!!
    I too have been looking for a new set of wheels. It seems to me that conversions (new and used) are slooooooooow selling vehicles. I've got a '97 Ford/Coachmen and at 15,900. haven't even received an offer. It is in very nice condition too.
    Like you, I've got my eye on a couple of vans at a dealer and they too have been on their lot a long time. It looks as though most of 2000 model year customer rebates expired on the 16th of Jan. I'm presently waiting to see what they come up with next. The new programs should be announced pretty soon. My hope is to pay no more than invoice (get em out and show em to me) plus tax minus rebate.
    A couple of other conversion companies worthy of consideration are Discovery by Sherry Designs and Sherrod Vans.

I've checked the NADA book for Explorer values and none are listed.

Jerry
  • havanesehavanese Member Posts: 3
    I am just going to stay home and not walk into the dealership until next week. I figure the end of the month will be a time for the dealers to really want to bargain at this point.

Is there really such a thing as the tax time? I mean, all these dealerships are advertising that they have to move as much of their inventory as possible before March 1. Is that really true?

I set myself up back in September. This dealer knows I want THAT van....... Maybe I should have my eye on another van with a different conversion company to use as my ace. The dealership knows that I am not a meek woman and have done all of our car purchasing in the past. I do know quite a bit, but the conversion stuff really has me baffled. I have never had to go in blind before. Maybe they will show me the invoice... If not, I can always take a two hour drive up to the factory and see what I can work out with them. I have dealt with the rep for this area. He was very helpful, but I still get the feeling that there was more room to play financially.

Why can't someone get a hold of all the numbers for conversion companies and let us in on the invoice price? I understand that the companies do not have to share this with NADA, but wouldn't you think that insurance companies, at least, should know the "real" figures? I have never been so frustrated in all of my years of car buying. This better be worth it in the end, because I see myself not wanting to have to deal with salesmen/women again for a VERY long time!

I have been buying new cars on the average of every two years, this is really freaking me out! I can't even figure out what the wholesale price of the conversion is to get a true quote from my insurance company. I never buy until I know what my insurance price is going to be..... I feel like I am totally in the dark here and feeling very insecure about this purchase. I want the van, but I want to know exactly how much that dealer paid for it in the first place. Second, I feel that since it has been sitting on the lot for several months (Conversions move quickly here) the dealership should want to get it off of their lot..... UGH!

Should I just walk up to my salesman and ask him to see the dealer invoice on this particular van? Do most dealerships agree to take a loss if a vehicle has been sitting for an extremely long time? What I am getting at here is, if I can see the invoice, which if I can't I am going to walk, being last years model, sitting for a very long time, end of the month, right before their "tax time", do you suppose I could get it for even less? I know this is a reputable dealership that has been around for over 50 years. We have purchased from them in the past also.

Okay, I am starting to ramble here..... Sorry. Do you think there is hope????? I need to get them down at least another 2-3K.......
    Deb
  • hiwaysanityhiwaysanity Member Posts: 216
    I've scanned back to the beginning, and see very few who are buying. I think we might be, but, sorry folks, I want a new van. We are considering a hi-top camper conversion. Most of the conversion packages I have found seem to like the Dodge 3500 platform. Anybody have any guidance for a newby?
  • kanga97kanga97 Member Posts: 2
    I would like to determine the cost of my Van with 16000 miles. It has a 5.4l engine. The interior is in excellent condition. Valure seats and rear manual bed along with 4 captain chairs.
  • nwraaanwraaa Member Posts: 177
    What model Explorer are you negotiating for? If its the taxed out model (this one has the ground effects kit, bumper step for cleaning the windshield, hot/cold cup accessory, swivel seats, heated seats, rich tires, Nitro wheels, etc.)and has a popular color, then a price near 34k is not bad. Also, you are negotiating for a top of the line van.
  • kanga97kanga97 Member Posts: 2
    I have looked in NADA for subject cost on used vehicles, but found no recent entries. Is their another place to look for said information?
    Thanks.
    kanga97,
    NADA does publish van/truck conversion and limousine guide.
    It may not be accessible via the net.

I know of no other sources.
  • classiccarnutclassiccarnut Member Posts: 2
    Can someone please advise the fair market price for the following.
    1998 Dodge B1500 W/Chariot conversion.
    5.2L V-8, 19,532 miles. Following options:
    Power Steering, Compact Disc Player, Driver Side Air Bag, Power Windows, Cruise Control, Power Brakes, Passenger Side Air Bag, Air Conditioning, Tilt Steering Wheel, Automatic Transmission, Anti-Lock Brakes, Cassette, Power Door Locks.
    I'm looking to buy from a local dealer.
  • sclearmansclearman Member Posts: 1
    The conversion van my husband and I have has 85,627 miles on it(just went out and looked). I am thinking of selling it. It is in great condition. We have had it about 2 years and put about 6k on it. Would probably ask $5500. Would like to know if this seems reasonable.
    The 1998 Dodge should cost about $14,700.00 from a dealer.
    The $5500.00 for the 1989 Chevy seems a bit high for the van unless it was converted by a high end conversion company like Explorer or Starcraft and the van is in excellent condition.
  • classiccarnutclassiccarnut Member Posts: 2
    Looking to buy a 1987 DODGE B250 RAM VAN Looks like a Westport conversion??. Has 65,000 original miles. Has the following: A/C (no rear A/C), cruise, tilt, power steering, windows, locks. Cloth interior. Nothing fancy but pretty clean for 14 years old.
    Looking to buy from local dealer who took this on a trade. Any ideas what this may be worth??

Thanks - Arthur
  • rickh3rickh3 Member Posts: 1
    We seem to be "in the same boat" as many conversion van owners! We are trying to decide on a fair price to sell/trade our van. We considered downsizing in 1995 when the van had 42,000 miles. The dealer said conversions are very hard to price and offered us $9,000 back then, however we felt that was low because of the conversion package and the fact that the van was clean and in excellent condition. So, we called Explorer and the man there said that if the van is in great condition with low mileage we should be able to sell it for apx. $15,000 with the Explorer conversion package. In the middle of negotiating with the dealer we were relocated to North Carolina... Now its 2001 and we are still very happy with our van, but ready to downsize once again. The van now has 105,000 miles and is still clean and in good condition. Always garage kept and shows gentle wear on the interior. The dealer is offering us $3,000 as a trade (Blue book is $3,080 without a conversion). What's it worth? The local papers don't have anything listed to compare our van with. Most have a lot more mileage or a conversion package that doesn't compare with Explorer.

Description: 3/4 ton GMC Vandura, 5.7 L, V8 engine. Transmission cooling lines for towing. Cruise, Power windows and locks, intermitten wipers, AC, AM/FM cassette, tilt wheel, etc. Explorer conversion package including: deep metalic blue paint with silver pin stripping, fiberglass running boards, ladder to luggage rack, spare tire with Explorer hardcover on rear door, deep blue/medium blue two-tone interior, wired for TV, 4 captains chairs that swivel, electric rear bench seat that folds to a queensize bed, interior wood is all maple, interior track lighting, overhead storage compartments, rear heat and AC, rear door table storage cabinet and tailgating bar, accordion blinds and curtains, vacuum, full width garment bar, built-in first-aid kit, pull-down tables, 2 stand tables, etc. Any help or suggestions are appreciated.

Also, we are considering a GMC Safari van to replace our current van. It would be a downsize without compromising roomyness and cargo space. Has anyone got insider info on the 2002 due out soon? The dealer has told us only exterior changes are expected. Thanks! Rick
  • carquestcarquest Member Posts: 1
    We need to sell a great full size van. It has 75,000 miles is a 1997 Ford E150 Explorer conversion. Has lots of extras, rear radio and cd player, duel air, wired for a tv, four captain seats and a rear bench seat that lets down to a full sized bed. Eight cyl. 5.4 triton engine, duel airbags,excellent condition, one owner well mantained with all records. What's it worth to you?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Good question....

Until someone here pipes up, you can look up the True Market Value for the van itself and then try to guess on the extras. If you are looking for a place to advertise it, try looking at Edmunds.com's Used Vehicle PowerShopper at http://applications.edmunds.com/products/ups/.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• mykidsmom3mykidsmom3 Member Posts: 1
    I would like to sell my 1999 Conversion Van. It has a Geneva conversion package in mint condition with 18,000 miles on it. I would like to know if anyone has any information on where to get fair market pricing on these conversions or am I at the mercy of a dealership salesman. AGGGHHHH!!!
  • adeneveadeneve Member Posts: 2
    If the price of a new van drops 30 to 40% in the 1st year, why are people buying "new" instead of clean "used" vans? How do these vans do in the snow? Are locking differentials an important
    option? If so why didn't any of the 6 new vans I saw have it? A leftover 2001 Chevy with a top of the line Explorer conversion listed at $49,000 dropped to $38,000 before we even started to negotiate. Are there so few buyers?
  • fmgarciafmgarcia Member Posts: 11
    Hello . . .

I am looking at an Eclipse Conversion Van . . . hi-top, TV/VCP, leather, power sofabed, etc. Chassis is a Ford E-150 with the 5.4L Triton V-8. Dealer wants $33,700 + processing + taxes & tags.

First, how good is the quality of Eclipse? Second, is the asking price a good deal?

Thanks all.
  • truckgaltruckgal Member Posts: 1
    NADA does have pricing for Conversion Vans on their site www.NADAguides.com
    Re: post 337

I've been driving a my2000 E-150 "Lunar" Eclipse low top for the past year.
    Previously drove a 97 E-150 Coachmen.
    I've been quite satisfied with the Eclipse package. Early on, I had an issue or two and Debbie at the customer service desk at Eclipse was very helpful. Being a manufacturer though, I'm not too sure they are equipped to handle very many calls from end users.
    The weakest link (no pun intended) has been Ford Motor Company and the selling dealer service department.
    I found FoMoCo Customer Relations anything but. They are unresponsive and simply don't get things right.
    The selling dealer service department, when I complained of "steering wander", responded with the infamous "no problem found". An improvement, but not totally corrected, came about from a post here at Edmunds. Check the tire pressure and keep them at maximum psi. In my case the max recommended psi is 41. They were at 37-38. Strange as it may seem, 3 psi will be noticable.
    Pardon my rambling.
    The number of conversion companies has declined dramatically. I think Eclipse makes a pretty good conversion that you likely will be satisfied with.

If your like me, this post may not be too late. However, if you bought the Eclipse, I think you'll be okay.
  • fmgarciafmgarcia Member Posts: 11
    Thanks for the input, Jerry.

I actually wound up buying an Explorer Conversion with the Limited SE package. As of now, my family and I have only taken it for one long trip, and so far, we are very satisfied with it. I have seen many posts from people who are happy with their Explorers, and I just hope that we will be in for long-term satisfaction with our van.

Thanks again.

Francisco
  • muddlermuddler Member Posts: 1
    I am in market for a conversion van. I can find a ton of information on chassi prices, but virtually nothing on conversion package costs. I am sure there is dealer mark-up in those little stickers in the window, but I have no idea how much. Anyone got any advice?
  • dayarbdayarb Member Posts: 8
    We need to sell our 2000 Dodge 1500 conversion van. It's in great condition with 36,200 miles. It's a V-6 with raised roof, vcp and TV, rear air, running boards, (Starcraft Imperial conversion). The car dealership offered 10,000 to start off, but that seems way too low to me --- even though that is wholesale. They also said that amount was just based on the van, that they didn't give anything for the conversion. Any estimates on what we could sell this for ourselves? Thanks!!!
  • emandlizemandliz Member Posts: 1
    Hi I'm new to the conversion vans (have been a minimomvanner for a long while) and am looking at a 1999 ford E-150 with a choo-choo conversion pkg. with leather, quad seats, manual fold out bed, mini cooler between driver & pass, very well kept, 47,500 mi. Air is very cold, tv/vcp, 2radio/cass, video game hookups, mood lights. The dealer has made a big deal out of the choo-choo brand, but I don't see it mentioned much in these postings. They want 15,999 - seems on the high side but I can't figure out how to price it AARRGH!! NADA doesn't list choo-choo conversions for that year. Any Help?? thanks, sharon
    Was nice, but they went out of business - like most of the conversion companies.

Try asking in Real-World Trade-In Values what they think it's worth. I bet they say your dealer is high :-)

Steve, Host
  • billmahanbillmahan Member Posts: 68
    and I'm sorry about that. But can anyone tell me how much the conversion portion of the price is inflated beyond true dealer cost? I can find what a GMC Savana package costs and figure out a fair price, but let's say Explorer out of Warsaw Indiana adds "so-called" $20,000 worth of conversion? How do I calculate that amount. You see some ridiculous prices at some dealerships. Like $60,000 MSRP but they will "give you" a $20,000 discount. Even then I still don't know what the true dealer cost is. Can anyone help?

Thanks.
  • jc1973jc1973 Member Posts: 63
    the explorer package bites i have it on my 90 ford van very cheap quality
  • djkcmkdjkcmk Member Posts: 2
    Currently own 94 Econoline conversion van with 124,000 miles on it. Had a horrendous cross country trip with it last summer but kept fixing it. Now that financing rates are at 0% or cash back of $3000 should I trade it in or just keep my fingers crossed that nothing else major goes on the current van?
    Buy a new one. You can get a 2002 or 2003 from $27,995.00 to $32,000.00 converted by Explorer, Regency, Cobra, Sherrod, or Tuscany.
  • red_baronred_baron Member Posts: 1
    I do see a few postings re: used prices (always a good starting place even for new vehicles) and a 'side-note' about NADA not having much...

Here's what I know:
    ALL of the conversion van mfrs are privately held - no info/profit margins etc. is avail anywhere...

'They' have collectively (gee price fixing anyone?) refused to allow NADA (likely the cause of other's Kelly etc. not posting as well) to post new and or used conversion prices! How can they do that? Some sort of trademark infringment lawsuit threat?

The conversion mfrs (I've asked a bunch) refuse to talk to consumers and provide full package/spec sheets and AT LEAST list/msrp pricing for their own stuff. Even makes comparing two of their own conversions impossible.

Conversions are not tracked (VIN etc.) resulting in never being able to even search for a vehicle on many dealer websites - the VIN is 'incomplete chassis'

Bottom line - You are at the mercy of the dealer. Period. They are making a TON and some I've found are so arrogant they've even refused to discuss what they have - one even lied to me about models they had (they didn't) just to get me to drive in (100+ miles for nothing).

Seems this 'cottage-industry' is about as corrupt as the mattress folx who take the same item, put 10 model#'s on it so they can advertise - 'Find a lower price on an identical item...'

Who's running this scam?
    Hey, Ralph Nader... I've got a crusade for you!
    Anyone buying a conversion van for summer camping?

Steve, Host
    Steve,
    I seems that the new hi-top conversion vans are not selling as quickly as they were a year ago. The vans have become quite pricey. The dealers are asking $50,000.00 plus for the Chevy and GMCs with the passenger doors on both sides. The dealers are asking more for these than they are asking for the new Hummer 2, Cadillac Escalades, and Navigators. The $2.00 + per gallon gas is not helping the situation.