Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Conversion Van Pricing

Comments

• bridgemanbridgeman Member Posts: 4
    I just paid 26K for a 98 Glavel Gladiator high top(before the 5K GM card rebate).
  • fburatfburat Member Posts: 1
    please give me some idea on the dealer cost of the conversion package-also the dealer cost of the ford van before it was sent to be converted-factory rep mentioned mark iii receives a stripped down version of the cargo van to convert
  • nationnation Member Posts: 1
    We are looking at a 98 Grand Caravan with high top conversion. The dealer is asking 26,900. Is this a good price or a rip off?
  • jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    nation,
    On the surface it sounds somewhat pricey. Is the van a base model, LE, SE, or ES and how many miles are on it? Also, what is the make and model of the conversion package?
    Jerry
    nation,
    Also, look for major options such as all-wheel drive and rear air.
    Jerry
  • johnc4johnc4 Member Posts: 5
    Any experience with a Ford conversion called the GTRV Westy, or, GTRV Grand Tourer? They look good but are quite new and I don't know anyone that owns one. Any dealer recommendations and suggestions on a reasonable price? Thanks.
  • coxeycoxey Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for the cost of a Mark III SE conversion on a Ford van 1998 or 1999(Full size). We started looking and the dealers list the conversion at 7 to 8K. The van price was 22K plus conversion at 8k puts the package at 30k. By just talking to the salesman he will sell the van for 24K. Need to know what the true mark up is in the conversion package. Thanks
    Coxey,
    NADA doesn't show anything for the Mark III on the '98 Ford chassis but here is data for the '98 Chevy chassis.
    Low Top MSRP 4198. Whsle. 2250. Retail 3170.
    Sport(Hi)Top MSRP 6298. Whsle. 3380. Retail 4760.

Jerry
  • crush1crush1 Member Posts: 2
    I need some advice on a Chevy Chassis Mark III Hi-top conversion van. I am currently looking at a LWB LE Model. The MSRP on the van itself is 25,162 with destination. The invoice total is 21,727. The van with the conversion listed at 41,210. The dealer is selling it at 30,210. is this too much to pay? What is the MSRP and INVOICE for The Mark III conversion. The options are Pro air, Exect seating, Removable mid-seats, Game ready hook-up,& Rear AM-FM Stereo. I also noticed a destination charge of $350 just for the conversion. I want to negotiate quick. Could someone please help me.
  • hermionehermione Member Posts: 2
    I have recently moved to Indiana. In starting my research on custom vans, I discovered I live 1 hr away from custom van mecca -- the Elkhart/ Mishawaka IN area! Hooray!! Can anyone give me any suggestions on custom companies in northern IN that they really liked? Price is important, but I'm particularly interested in a quality conversion that will last with kids and big dogs.
    Hermione,
    I drive a Coachmen conversion that I like a lot. You might find this of some help as well:

Ford Recognizes Top Quality Van Converters
    4 March 1998

Ford Recognizes Top Quality Van Converters

DETROIT, March 4 /PRNewswire/
    Ford Motor Company (NYSE: F) today announced the results of its customer satisfaction survey for 1997-model Econoline conversion vans.

The Ford Van Conversion Top Ten Quality Awards are given annually to the converters rated highest in customer satisfaction, owner loyalty and quality.
    This year's winners:
    1. d'Elegant, Inc., Schoolcraft, Mich.
    2. Coachmen Vans, Elkhart, Ind.
    3. Superior Vans, Louisville, Ky.
    4. Tuscany Motor Coach, Shipshewana, Ind.
    5. L.A. West, Lagrange, Ind.
    6. Seven-O-Seven, Ind., Elkhart, Ind.
    7. Eclipse Conversions, Elkhart, Ind.
    8. Companion Vans, Inc., Kosciusko, Mo.
    9. Mark III Industries, Ocala, Fla.
    10. Osage Industries, Inc., Linn, Mo.

"These converters have excelled in customer satisfaction and moved the quality needle forward," said Jerry Mittman, Recreation and Specialty Vehicles Sales Manager.

Jerry (not Mittman)
  • hermionehermione Member Posts: 2
    Thanks Jerry! 5 of the 10 are within an hour's drive. Started looking tonight and I was a little overwhelmed by the choices and the sales pitch. It's really difficult to comparison shop the conversion packages. I'll do do more homework before I venture back to a dealership...
  • jekylljekyll Member Posts: 4
    We bought a 1999 Ford Tuscany conversion a few months ago and we love it. We've already clocked nearly 5000 miles in less than three months, (most of it actually in the first six weeks!). Quality is excellent throughout. They are converted in Shipshewana, Indiana.
    Hermione,
    My pleasure.
    Here are some web sites you might want to look at:
    www.coavans.com
    www.lawest.com
    www.markiii.com
    www.starcraftcorp.com/scdiv.htm
    www.tuscany-vans.com

Jerry
  • hockeydad8hockeydad8 Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I've been in the market for a used hi-top conversion van for about a month. I have found a '96 Dodge 2500 with the Mark III LX package, leather seats, Traveler's Convience pkg, game hook-up, etc. The only catch is it has 53,000 miles. I seem like it is in excellent shape . All service records.(dealer is even willing to let me talk to people who traded it in) The dealer wants $15,540. Does this seem reasonable or should I pass and keep looking? He originally wanted close to $17,000. Also, have come across a Ford E150 with a conversion called Infinity. Does anyone know anything about this? Thanks in advance
  • crush1crush1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the possibility of purchasing a Ford E-150 Explorer Hi-top conversion van. I have all the retail data I need on the basic Ford van. What I need is the retail cost of the Explorer Packages. This one seems to be basic- meaning there are no markings on the outside, saying SE or Limited SE. There was no sticker on the window describing the conversion package. The only clue I could find was the dealer's sticker that marked the conversion at 12,494. What is the markup on the Explorer conversion packages? How about any info on the cost of the explorer packages. Thanks
    Does anyone know anything about a conversion called ELK. The one I'm looking at is on a '95 Dodge Ram 2500 platform. Is this a good conversion. How does it compare to Mark III?
    Thanks in advance
  • serienserien Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a reliable high top used conversion. Does anyone know what the best make and model is? Thinking in terms of longevity
  • mrh3108mrh3108 Member Posts: 41
    Jerry,

I need a loan and retail value for a '91 Vandura with a Cobra conversion (back when Cobra was manufactured by VanAmerica--now bankrupt). It is a hightop with cloth, TV/VCP, rear stereo, power sofa--loaded except it has steel wheels. I do not know the trim line.

Thanks for your help.
    Mark,
    This one is a little difficult. The NADA Van Conversion book doesn't list a '91 so I'll give you the '90 values, and our car guide goes back 7 model years which means I'll give you '92 values on the chassis. You can also check Edmund's for the '91 chassis value.

'92 Vandura G2500
    whsle 5,600. retail 7,400.
    deduct 350. if V6 engine
    deduct 200. if G1500
    average mileage range 75 to 80 K

'90 Cobra Conversions, 3 models listed.
    Adventurer: whsle 4910. retail 6050.
    Ambassador LTD: whsle 5690 retail 7030.
    Diplomat: whsle 5020. retail 6200.

Jerry
    Can anyone tell me what a good price should be for a 1996 Dodge 2500 high-top Mark III LX conversion with leather interor. Mileage is 53,400. When I first started negotiating for the vehicle it had a problem where the battery would completely drain over the weekend, the dealer contacted Mark II and they traced the problem to something called the Smart-Box and replaced it. Does this sound right? Has anyone had any experience with them? I have a deposit on it now and am delaying taking delivery until I get more info.

Thanks in advance.
    Hockeydad8,

NADA book values:
    Chassis whsle 10775. retail 13075.
    Less high mileage 600. to 900.

Mark III LX
    whsle. 5350. retail 7090.

Jerry
    Thanks Jerry,

I guess that 15,795 with new tires, windshield, & smartbox is a pretty good deal. Does anyone have any insight on the wind noise in the front from the door seals. Also, on the Mark III conversion it has six switches to control lights, TV, Speakers, soafbed, etc. in the front over the drivers head. The back lights on these controls never seem to go out. Is this normal? The backlights seem to be low voltage, but I would think they should go out after a certain time.
  • eddemayoeddemayo Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at conversion vans for about a month and one has caught my eye. I haven't been back to the dealership and don't have all the particulars. The van is a 97, yes 97 with 216 miles and never been off the lot. Base price for the van is 24k. The MSRP with the conversion is $53,500. I know why they haven't sold it. The salesman said they could let it go for 36K, but after being on the lot for two years I told him I'd give him 25k. Does anyone have a feel for what a fair price would be.
  • goodngoodn Member Posts: 1
    I am selling a 95 GMC triple crown conversion. Full leather.power everything,including the sofabed,insulated everywhere,tv,vcp,10 disc cd changer,rear stereo w/ dual cassette,n/64 game,padded carpeting throughout,alarm,keyless entry,chrome wheels,no tow,5.7(350) engine,track lighting,28500 miles,fact. warranty ends in June 99, emerald green,you can stand up in this one..beautiful,ex. shape.18000 obo
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    #0 of 1: earl (earl) Mon 05 Apr '99 (02:38 PM)

I wish to trade my 92 Chevy Van , model 20, with
    Explorer Conversion package. Can anyone help me
    with its trade value?
    Karen,

NADA book shows G20 van value at whsle 7200. and retail at 9200. Average mileage range 80-90 k.
    Compare these numbers with Edmund's.

The conversion is a bit difficult. NADA only lists Explorer, by Anaheim Vans in Houston, TX. I suspect that yours is from Indiana.

I can provide values for Coachmen, Mark III, and/or Starcraft if you think any of them would be comparable in value.

Jerry
  • hanrahanbhanrahanb Member Posts: 2
    Am I able to get a Toyota or Honda mini van with a hi-top conversion package
  • dcngodcngo Member Posts: 14
    Can someone who had experience buy a conversion van share their strategy in bargaining with the dealer. Reading through the postings here tells me that a lot of people are having a hard time finding information on dealers cost for this type of car. Yet, it is also obvious that many people had bought these vans. How did you come up with a fair price? Did you pay list price? If not, how did you how much to bargain down? Thanks for any info.

dcn
  • gator78gator78 Member Posts: 1
    We're starting to look at GMC Safari Conversion vans. The lead choice so far is the EXPLORER version, but I have no idea as to the dealer costs for all those goodies. Seems to me there is a huge markup and was wondering whether anyone had a clue as to how much negotiating room there is. Thanks for the help and feedback. Also any comments as to the quality of the EXPLORER or other types would be appreciated.

Again thank you
  • keliinoikeliinoi Member Posts: 1
    I am currently checking into buying a Ford E-250
    cargo van. It would be a dual purpose vehicle.
    For work and Pleasure, I am looking into possibly
    converting the cab into a kingcab like the trucks. I would appreciate any input in this project.
    Thank you,
    keliinoi
    Kelly,
    NADA shows just one MarkIII conversion for the GMC.
    MSRP 12,149
    Used Whsle 7,670
    Used Retail 10,400.

Jerry
  • rjohnston1rjohnston1 Member Posts: 1
    We got $13000 off "sticker" on a starcraft top end van in 1994.
    We chose a van that had been made in march (it was now october).
    Our strategy was:
    1) we can't afford it. we just stopped by because we were curious. (true)
    2) We are only interested if you can match the price of the Windstar we were considering (about 25K). Again this was true.
    They let us take the van home overnight.
    They initially offered $5k off.
    I said I could not afford it.
    Extra gas cost when compared to windstar.
    They tried to steer me to a cheap conversion model.
    I said I wanted the safety of the Starcraft with their integrated belting system (again, true).
    Anyhow, we wound up $700 apart at about $12,500 off sticker.
    I thanked him for his time and effort and wished him well. The sales mgr overheard me say we were $700 apart. As I headed to my car with full intentions of buying the windstar, the salesperson stopped me ( I was in my car), and said the mgr met my price.

The key strategy is to ignore the sticker. I normally would not have had the gall to offer an apparently ridiculous figure, but I did so because it was all I could afford and I had an alternative in mind: a minivan.
    Also, this was the highest priced van on the lot and had been sitting there for 6 months.

Can't promise this will work again. Sometimes this opportunities are based solely on fortuitous timing.
  • chicksonchickson Member Posts: 4
    I have a 1993 Chevrolet G20 conversion van that I am interested in selling, or trading in on a mini-van. Problem is, the dealers seem to want to offer only the value of the van, and nothing for the conversion.

It has a Regency Brougham conversion: power everything, leather, insulation, door shrouds and pleated window shades, etc., etc.

Any help with pricing this conversion (jboater? ) and especially any suggestions on how to obtain a realistic offer on the value of the van *plus* conversion??

Thanks in advance.
  • led500led500 Member Posts: 3
    I am looking at a 1995 G-20 5.7liter conversion van (Gemini Deluxe Designer series) at 45k miles, priced at 14,800 miles. I'm having a devil of a time getting a NADA price (rode many miles to the library and the darn placed was closed).
    Anyone help me out? Thanks in advance, Lon
  • led500led500 Member Posts: 3
    Oops, price is obviously $14,800 eh,eh.
    Lon
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Chickson, in working with the dealer, you are at their mercy. Now, I don't know conversion vans well. However, I do know that many sports car enthusiasts make major and expensive modifications to their vehicles, and get absolutely zilch for the mods at dealers. The reason? That vehicle is personalized for the person trying to sell it. What are the chances the dealer will find someone who really likes that same package? Have you considered advertising in the paper? A little advertising fee in a paper that is delivered to households can go a long way. Always price high! You can always come down.

guitarzan
    Community Leader/Vans Conference
    Chickson,
    No data available for 1993.
    1994 data follows, however, there are four Regency Brougham models. I am providing the most expensive model data.
    Regency Brougham Eagle Hi-top,
    whsle, 5,390. retail 6,990. Original msrp 15,135.

Jerry
    Lonman,
    Looks like a strike out.
    NADA indicates no data available after the 1986 model year. Sorry.

Jerry
    We are closing in on that very conclusion, as your reasons have become obvious to us. It is just the time and effort that goes into selling such a specific vehicle can be considerable, being a busy family as it is.

But, we must weigh the return on (time) investment as we make the decision. If the price is right, it would be worth it, of course. We shall see...

Thanks for your imput and suggestions!
    That is helpful, yet ours is not a Hi-top. Would it be more accurate if I provided more complete listing of the features? (Well, I suppose that is a silly question, isn't it?)

I could fax/email/copy&paste here, the features list I typed up a while back, if you are interested and if you don't mind looking at it again for me. Just let me know.

Thanks!
    Craig
    Craig,
    These are '94 values for the low top.
    Brougham, whsle 4,030. retail 5,230. new msrp 11,375..

Brougham Eagle, whsle 4,440. retail 5,760. new msrp 12,490.

Jerry
  • mdeeba1mdeeba1 Member Posts: 1
    Sir, a 1999 gmc savana, regency,5.7l v-8, high top, leather, 2 t.v.'s..all the toys, what is a fair price.

thanks

mike
  • maurermaurer Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know the value of a 1997 Ford E-150
    with the Waldoch Sierra Conversion Package. The
    van has 61,000 miles. The dealer wants $18,000.
    Fair price?? The engine is the 5.4 Triton V-8.
    The van just came from the Ford Red Carpet
    Lease/auction.

Thanks in Advance!!
  • guitarzanguitarzan Member Posts: 873
    Also feel free to ask for pricing from Car Man:

What's a fair price for this used car ?

guitarzan
    Community leader/Vans conference
    maurer,

NADA shows used whsle 4,860. and retail 6,750. on
    the conversion.
    NADA also indicates the average mileage range for
    '97 vehicle @ 30 - 35 thousand.
    Miles on the prospective van should have a
    significant adverse impact on the value of the van.
    Check Edmund's on chassis value and look closely
    at mileage adjustment.

Jerry
    Mike,
    I'm afraid I don't have any info for you.

Sounds like a high-end conversion and probably very nice. Sorry I can't be of some help.

Jerry
  • jcarminajcarmina Member Posts: 2
    jboater,
    Can you help me out need info on the following conversions for a 99 Ford E150 with a 5.4l:
    dElegant 300 or 500
    LA West Excalibur Series or Elite Series.
    Thanks in advance,

Joe
  • ryaj12ryaj12 Member Posts: 8
    Joe,
    If you haven't already done so, you may want to check out lawest's demo prices on their web site www.lawest.com. They usually always carry about a dozen demos at 20-25% discount. These are low mileage demos driven by their reps.
    Joel
  • jcarminajcarmina Member Posts: 2
    Jerry & Joel,
    Thanks for the help. I'll let you know how this works out!
    Joe