Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    this is a nice additional resource for those of you with questions about the eurovan

http://www.egroups.com/group/ev_update/info.html
  • dplehndplehn Member Posts: 1
    The dealer is offering a 2000 MV for 29,200. Good deal?
    Last MV on my local VW lot was being sold for around $27000. That was on the window... new van. I'm sure they weren't going to lose any money, but they may have not been making any.

You need to look at the new car section of edmunds to calculate their real cost. Basically add up base price, shipping, and all your options. Then deduct holdback (I don't think Vw has any). Also check edmunds rebate pages. This will tell you how much the vehicle costs. You should be able to drive it off for $500 more.

Good luck. Post the accessories if you need help coming up witht the price.
  • hamburgerhamburger Member Posts: 1
    It might be interesting for you to know the prices for these products where they are made. In Germany a top MV (2.5 TDI with the most powerful engine) will sell list for 62879 DM without tax. Anybody of course can knock down this price for cash. At the present level of the dollar to the euro it could well be worth a look. By the way - virtually nobody in Germany would even consider a petrol driven version: the TDI is popular because of it´s parsimony with diesel. As to exotic - I defy anyone to drive 500 mtrs (or yards if you must) in Hamburg without seeing at least 3 of these cars.
    Dealers have a $3000 incentive right now. See the link (near the very end)

http://www.edmunds.com/edweb/Incentives.html

So the math goes like this
    Dealer price $29722
    + $590
    - Incentive -3000
    - Holdback -626 (2% of the Base MSRP)
    Equals 26686

You should be able to get the car for 350-500 over this...
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    ...Please check out Edmunds.com Marketplace.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Vans host
  • andi13andi13 Member Posts: 1
    What a crushing blow we experienced!! We have raised our three kids since 93 in our wonderful Eurovan. We got so spoiled by the room that the high price tag of repairs were secondary. Feeling our 150,000 mile van may not be the most realible to travel 8 hour trips in, we embarked on our search for a 2000 MV Eurovan. The technology of the net was grand. We located a 2000 gorgeous blue Mv Euro, with only 11,000 miles and a good price of 25,000. That took care of the high price that had scared us off since they came on the market. We put a deposit on it and drove 2 1/2 hours to get our dream car. We sadly ended up walking away, resigned to making our 93 last to the bitter end. I had my 6'5" husband sit behind the wheel.(head clearence is a very important feature for us) B. could fit behind the wheel, if he straddled the steering wheel with his knees. If he tried to move his foot from the gas to the brake, his knee hit the steering wheel. B. is mostly tall in the waist. It's not the legs as much. We even pulled out the back seat that abutted the driver seat, but the seat locks only so far, seat in or not.
    Our second realization was that the rear facing captain chairs only have lap belts. The seat closest to the sliding door sure appears to be a real danger. The table was a little disappointing too. We thought it would be great for the kids to play games on during long trips.
    If you start a trip with the table down, the person sitting in the captain chair would have to unbuckle, get up, fold his seat up to raise the table.
    All in all, the design could have been great. Instead it seemed so poorly planned, it really shook my faith in Volkwagon. What else didn't they plan well? I've driven VW's for the past 30 years, since my first Beetle at 16. It seems the price keeps going up, and the quality is dropping. It seems the company is getting away with alot, riding on the loyalty for the VW lovers. This one is wising up! Going to check out the Honda Odessy tomorrow.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    VW slept throught the minivan revolution even though they probably invented the mini.

VW is slow to change.
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Member Posts: 88
    From cars.com

VW sold 3,395 EuroVans in the United States, up from 1,742 during 1998. The automaker sold 2,535 EuroVans through October of this year.

About 66 per state. No wonder hard to get parts.
  • diogenesediogenese Member Posts: 6
    I've been looking for a new van and have been smitten by the Eurovan. It brings back great memories of camping in my neighbors Westy when I was young.

My question is, can a rack be installed on the pop-top? I need a way to transport my 17' canoe; my family has outgrown my Toyota pickup.

Also, I read on the VW.com's news releases that the 2001 Eurovan will have a 200 hp V6, should I wait for the extra 60 ponies?

Cheers
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Please visit the Edmunds.com Marketplace to buy or sell a used car. Thanks.

Used car buying
    at Edmund's

Steve
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences

• carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    Bought NEW: 1971 Super Beetle and 1975 VW Rabbit. Bought used: a 1965 VW Pickup (in Germany while in the US Army), a 1971 VW Bus and a 1977 VW Bus. I liked the comfort of the seats, the good visibility, and the fold-a-bed conversion of the 71 Bus. However, the VW were underpowered, VW dealers were despicable, and all 5 VW needed alot of expensive maintenance.
    My 1991 Astro CL with 4.3L V6, Air conditioning, Heater that had warm air, POWERFUL engine, etc. got better gas mileage than did the lethargic 71 or slightly-less lethargic 1977. Our 1999 Grand Caravan SE is light years superior to any Volkswagen. I hope Volkswagen goes bankrupt.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I don't think it's fair to compare vehicles built in the 1970's to ones that are built in the 1990's. VW's are pretty nice nowadays and have (the luxury division) state-of-the-art Audi technology at a bargain price...look at the VW Passat 4motion, for example. Excellent race proven Quattro AWD (renamed 4motion) but at thouands cheaper. Perhaps it's time for you to stop by a VW dealership? Who knows? You may become a repeat owner again! :-)

As for your comment about VW going bankrupt, be careful. I wouldn't want to have to remove any flames from you or others about this as it can quickly get out of hand...FWIW though, it won't happen anytime soon. Don't forget that VW bought Rolls Royce and Bentley just a short while ago...they already own Audi, Seat, and are working with Porsche. When their new SUV (developed with Porsche) the VW Colorado debuts in just a short while, it will almost definitely be a huge hit.

Good luck,
    Drew
    Edmunds.com Townhall co-host
    Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories conferences
  • olliedawgolliedawg Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I go back and forth from NC to upstate NY practically every weekend. He is a painter and brings all sorts of items in our current cars, a '99 WV Passat GAS wagon and a '98 Subaru Forester. We like both cars, but the Forester gets a bit crowded with his stuff, groceries and our dog. We're thinking about replacing it with something else, but what? We drove and loved a '01 Saab wagon, but hear so many negative things about Saab in general; my husband disliked the '01 Volvo AC (pronounced it a' piece of junk'); he's now going to test-drive a Nissan Xterra, but we're leery of SUVs...now we're looking at mini vans, but they are...well...nerdy. But, wait, there's the Eurovan, which we saw in Europe a week or two ago, happily rambling down the road at 160 kilometers an hour, loaded with stuff. Can I hear from you Eurovanners out there about driving, maintenance, pricing and dealers who might have these beasts? Finally, I just saw the Microbus concept vehicle on the internet -- wow! Thanks everyone.
  • whatkindwhatkind Member Posts: 2
    I test drove a 93 MV with 118K. Like the vehicle, but the interior engine noise was high. Is this normal. If it is, can it be reduced.
  • vwvanvwvan Member Posts: 3
    Can anyone give advice about buying a eurovan in europe, traveling for awhile and importing it back to the U.S.? VW has some terrific options for the "California Exclusive" modification including a bubble top, synchro four wheel drive and TDI diesel engine. Thanks for your help.
    You can't import a TDI eurovan. These are not American spec vehicles and the TDI engine is not available in the EV over here. VW had no european delivery plan for American spec vehicles currently.
  • fischdafischda Member Posts: 272
    I've heard VW is redesigning the Eurovan to make it more like its competitors, and thus boost sales. Anyone heard this? Know of any source on the news?
    See the new VW microbus thread. It seems to have been taken off the VW website. Also a discussion on

http://forums.vwvortex.com/vwb/Forum20/HTML/00006.htm
    Boosting sales? to boost sales they should try not pricing an entry level van with cloth seats and few conveniences higher than all other vans, even premium models, from the competitors.
  • w00drow00dro Member Posts: 1
    My '95 Eurovan GLS has served me well thru 230,000 Km. so far, but the transmission just gave out. VW Canada offered me a rebuilt tranny for $6700. + 3 hours labour + taxes ( 15% here). I opted to have it repaired at a local transmission shop for $3500. ( taxes and labour in ). I love the comfortable seats and ride quality. I would like more passing power. Mine is equiped with the 2.5l 5 cylinder engine. The V6 was offered about 2 years later...a big improvement I'm told.
  • leejpleejp Member Posts: 3
    I'm in the market for a bigger vehicle as my family is growing.

I wouldn't have considered the Eurovan because of the price but the price reductions on the 2001 models coupled with the new 201 hp VR6 makes me want to take a second look. Somequestions for those that own the vehicle...

Are the newer models more reliable?
    carry a 4x8 building material in a pinch?
    how's the luggage space with all 7 passangers?
    handling and driveability? Does it drive big? My wife is a little nervous about big vehicles.
    safety? economy?
    Thanks for any help...
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    leejp,

I looked at Edmunds prices and they show a substantial price cut (about $5K) as you indicate, however, the VW website lists the higher prices. Why would they cut prices and not tell anyone?

I kind of like the VW van. It is large inside, bigger than most minivan, has good towing ability, and I like the MV option.

I wonder why their drivetrain warranty for that vehicle is half that of their other vehicles.
    > I wonder why their drivetrain warranty for that vehicle is half that of their other vehicles.

Maybe because it would cost them a fortune to extend the warranty?

(Understand I bleed VW. Owned more than I care to admit. Been treated poorly by every last one.)
  • cgillespcgillesp Member Posts: 1
    I am hardly an expert, but I saw the new Eurovan at the Autoshow this weekend. Yes, the price dropped substantially. $26K will get you a basic Eurovan w/ V6 engine. 10 year 100K mile warranty on the powertrain and engine, according to the saleperson we were talking to at the show. He may have been talking about what kind of extended warranty you can buy, though, knowing car salespeople.

It was a really nice roomy van - bigger than "mini" but smaller than "cargo." LOTS of cargo room and leg room for 7 passengers.

Can't test drive at the Autoshow, so I can't answer any other questions.
  • jsennettjsennett Member Posts: 1
    Hate to give up the '93 Eurovan I have owned since new. But now that it is reaching the age where significant repairs are more frequent, I am desparately seaching for alternate, less expensive (non-dealer) parts sources. My internet searches have not been very productive. (I think there are probably more Rolls Royce Corniche convertables in the US than Eurovans.) These low numbers just don't support an aftermarket supply for parts, I guess. Any suggestions? What about Canadian sources? Thanks.
    try

http://www.busdepot.com

also go to http://vanagon.com and look for the eurovan mailing list. send those folks your question. you may need to subscribe. they will know if anyone does
  • mexicanprimrosmexicanprimros Member Posts: 1
    I am a diehard Subaru fan but with 3 rapidly growing kids need something a little bigger as a second vehicle. Would it be foolhardy to buy a 93 Eurovan? (being sold by my sister at a bargain price--my brother says I'm crazy to consider it) I had many positive experiences in the past with my 69 VW van so maybe I'm a little sentimental. I live in New Mexico. If anyone has any opinion on this, please write.
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    I saw in a newspaper article that VW is mowering ev prices by $5k. Anyone have any hard number on how much they will actually be, starting with the basic model, and then moving to the MV, weekender and full camper?
    >>I am a diehard Subaru fan but with 3 rapidly growing kids need something a little bigger as a second vehicle...

Well..... there is another option. Buy a clean, low mileage later-model Vanagon (there are tons of them out there due to the head gasket problem), and hook it up to a Subaru engine. Quite a few folks have done this.

See

http://www.mcn.org/b/roadcow/convert.html

http://www.cycoactive.com/urabus/

• rmaldonadormaldonado Member Posts: 1
    Just traded my 93 Eurovan and now I have for sale a cover, barely used, and an used Bentley Manual for sale. The cover will fit any model without the weekended top. You can send me an e-mail if interested.
  • dlscottdlscott Member Posts: 1
    I read on the VW web site that retail price of the 2001 model Eurovan will be reduced by over $5,000. However, when I contacted Winnebego to ask about the new camper model I was told it would increase by nearly $2,000 compared to the 2000 model. What gives here?
  • msilcoxmsilcox Member Posts: 1
    Could anyone help me find out what kind of towing capacity that my 1980 VW camper will tow? I am interested in towing a boat?
    With an 2.0 liter four cylinder aircooled engine? Towing? Not much, brother. I don't even think they are rated to tow anything. Putting that much stress on your engine will undoubtedly further shorten it's life span.

I currently have a watercooled vanagon and I doubt it will tow more than a thousand to maybe two thousand. Again, the owner's manual does not say it's rated to tow at all.

If towing is your thing, then the vanagon isn't.
  • 93vw93vw Member Posts: 1
    Like #180, I too am thinking of buying a '93 Eurovan, after having a '69.

Good idea? What is their reputation?
  • dplachtadplachta Member Posts: 109
    Given the price drop in the Eurovan, it is now competetive with the Astro for cost and shares a market with Astro for 4500 lb towing, more than most minivans.

Has anyone looked at these two vehicles compared to one another?
  • sobinysobiny Member Posts: 2
    My dealer here in New York is offering me 5.5% off the MSRP on 2001 Eurovan MV with or without weekender package. Does anyone know how rare/uncommon the weekender Eurovan is and is the 5.5% discount a good deal considering that?
  • hobyonehobyone Member Posts: 5
    Does your dealer already have them on order? I'd say it's a fair offer, depending on what he's saying MSRP is. Let me know the dealer(they have a website?), I might even come out and look at one!
  • sobinysobiny Member Posts: 2
    My dealer's MSRP and option prices are all the same as VW's home site. The general manager there "gave" me the 5.5% off when I wrote a letter of complaint after thier internet sales person treated me very poorly so I don't think they would extend that to everyone. To answer previous question, no he has not ordered any EVs, they typically don't at all but would order mine. Now due to the 3-4 month wait for delivery, I'm trying to negotiate with them so that after I put my deposit on the van and am waiting for it if any customer rebates come along I will be credited with these. Does anyone have experience with something like that?
    I did not find VW pricing on the Weekender model at their site. Our dealer has 8 Weekenders coming - 6 pre-sold. I suspect it unlikely there will be any rebates this time as they have already dropped the price so significantly for this years model. But certainly worth negotiating the protection clause. Apparently the first shipment of EV's are currently at port and awaiting a VW repair since it was determined that they got the wrong wheels or tires on the production line.
  • slick19slick19 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Eurovan w/ weekender package. We love the power of the V6. Passanger room is excellent as well as luggage space. Our kids and there friends thing theis van is the BOMB (which means good). We have 10,000 miles and no problems yet. We paid $200 above MSRP so 5.5% is GREAT! We looked all over the country for the weekender and at the time, we only found one in Atlanta. Luckly thats were we were moving to! They were more willing to negotiate than back in the west (Salt Lake City) were there seems to be a Eurovan on every corner. We rarely see one in the east.

Bottom line: I thing you are getting a gret deal and you will love the car!
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I think you mean "da bomb". Have fun tooling around Hotlanta:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Anyone know if you can get the optional Passat steering wheel with radio controls etc., on the new EuroVan? Also, my understanding is that the Weekender is only available in Red, White, and Blue(a patriotic gesture from our favorite German auto maker) So there are no special order colors, and therefore no surcharges for these right? Anyone know where I can verify this? - I have a local dealer adamant about surcharging me $275 extra for the blue, and I told her it just is not so. Any directional help would be greatly appreciated.
  • zavfejzavfej Member Posts: 13
    We've had a deposit on a Weekender at a dealership in NJ since early February. No one at WV of A can tell us for sure where our vehicle is now, or when exactly to expect it. We very easily secured a price that was just 2% over their invoice cost. On the NV Weekender only two of the colors are "standard" - the Artic White and one of the reds (Colorado or Tornado Red). The other two colors (Tecno Blue and the other Red) are additional money. The Camper is only available in White and is 15" longer than the other models.
    My experience so far is that the dealer network is so unfamiliar with this product (EV's in general) that any questions regarding anything out of the ordinary (or even "ordinary" questions) are met with either blank stares or mis-information ("Does it come with mats? Can a towing package be installed?"). All sorts of EV owners meet in yahooGroups "ev-update" and they could probably answer questions better than the dealers.
    Just my 2cents.
  • tedmaloneytedmaloney Member Posts: 1
    I would like to buy the 2001 Caravelle from Germany, mainly for the double sliding doors, but especially for the 9 passenger seating that the Eurovan lacks. I drove the Caravelle in Ireland last year, and the seating was great....but the EV only has 7 max. Doesn't VW know that we Americans want it all?
    thank you zavfej,
    same out here on the west coast - different answer from each person you speak to. WV should try to communicate with one voice to it's dealer base, and put the burden on them to be informed, so THEY can properly inform those of us with the checkbooks. I don't even know what invoice' IS on this product. $31,900? more? less? Is invoice different form 'msr'?
    Ours is "probably on a boat already" is the best we are being told.... but I doubt it.
    where is there a picture of this interesting sounding machine? What they really need in the new microbus is a 4wd version to capture the American market.
  • rxanandrxanand Member Posts: 33
    This is slightly off topic but I thought I would ask anyway.

Last year we rented a VW sharan in Europe. The van was truly wonderful. It has seating for 7 and the great 1.8 T engine. This fits our needs perfectly.

Why does VW not sell this car in the US?
  • lripanslripans Member Posts: 1
    Which dealerships have 2001 Eurovans? I've only found one coming in at one dealer in Bergen County. Not much negotiation room. Can anyone give me a name of a good dealer for this car in the area??? Many thanks.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    The Caravelle is what they call the Eurovan over in Europe :-). It is available in an AWD version over there, as is the Sharan. The VW Sharan was co-developed with Ford (Ford's version is the Galaxy).

A VW new MicroBus 4-motion would be very kewl. :-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards