Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    "Only problem with the EV Camper is Winnebagel's camper conversion. (I had
    one about a year ago...now drive a Syncro Westy w/Subaru Engine.)

It's very noisy while driving,particularly the bedframe, which squeeks and
    rattles like hell. There's no sound insulation in the vehicle. The thing
    makes more noise while driving than a symphony tuning up. The camper
    lists significantly to the left. The water pump would wake up all the
    campers within a few blocks. The EV is a "good road only vehicle", i.e
    very little ground clearance. No off roading. Wierd footwell gives no
    place for your left foot while driving. Hell to work on...only midgets and
    fairy's can do it.

Still it has a few strong points. Proper (up front) air conditioning and
    really love that forced air furnace. (Gotta get one of those in my
    Vanagon). More storage space than a Vanagon. Nice pop-top canvas with
    three large windows, but poptop lifts with only gas struts, no locking
    frame, so can't put anything on the roof or the top will fall down. The
    foam mattress in the top has no retainers except little velcro tabs which
    come off and every time I stopped hard, the top bed would slide forward and
    hit me in the back of the head.

Winnebagel needs to go back to the drawing boards on the camper interior.
    Or maybe they should just get Wesfalia to do it.

Just one opinion, I'm sure there are lots of others that think a EV is
    just great!"

His opinion, not mine.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Why not invite the members of the other list to post here in Town Hall as well? It would be nice to see this discussion topic active again (and even more than now) just as it has been for the last few days.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    but they're a weird lot, except me, of course.

That is the vanagon and eurovan list on vanagon.com. Problem with that list is its very esoteric. Lots topics like how to improve your fuel injection sensors, bolt in exotic engines, make your van run on vegetable oil, adding solar power, etc.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    It's nice that some of the VW bus crowd continues to live up to our "hippie" expectations. I carried a goat in my '69 VW bus once for a few blocks, but that's about as esoteric as I got.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• stansibleystansibley Member Posts: 6
    Fairly scrutinized one at the dealer yesterday. It was locked, but I got a good look-see. Interior looks the same as the 2000 except for the Sony stereo (does IT come with a remote?).

The two most notable things about the exterior are the 16" styled steel wheels sans cheap-looking and hard-to-clean wheel covers, and fog lights. I'd pay for those. Judging from the light switch, the headlights may need to be on to use 'em; couldn't test 'em. Of course, most folks drive around with their fog lights on for no apparent reason other than to draw attention to themselves anyway.

The larger wheels give it slightly less of a roller-skate look, and possibly provide a tiny bit more ground clearance (however, 60 series aspect ratio vs. the 2000's 65-series 15" tires and wheels). German Dunlop 225/60 R16 SP Sport Reinforced vs. yesteryear's Italian Michelin X Agilis 205/65. Load range nearly identical, Max PSI was 49 now vs. 55 then. 2000's PSI is supposed to be 51 front and rear, although my dealer sets my rears to 45, like the regular van, and get to I fix it. The Michelins handle wonderfully (for a truck/van -- my ol' RX-7 is a poor comparison vehicle); I wonder how the wider Dunlops will do. Personally, never met a Michelin I didn't like; never met a Dunlop I did, but those were on smaller cars.

I'd like to get a 2001 on a freeway on-ramp, but I wonder how that 43+% increase in hp will wear on transmission components, CV joints, fuel mileage, etc. Neck muscles, too.

Sticker price and features were obliterated, actually not even printed for some reason, but the radio adds $203, the two-person middle seat adds $709, for a suggested conversion price of $11,943 in California anyway. As I recall, that's _about_ the same as the 2000 package. (Does that stereo have a remote? Did I ask that already?)

According to my "precise calculations" from info I collected, dealer markup was right around 10% last year on the vehicle, barring rebates, holdback, large federal tax cuts, etc.

Perusing the manual, it describes a nifty full-featured trip computer ("Multi-Funktion" something-or-other) with its display where the clock is. You know: instantaneous mileage, trip time, yada yada. Does the 2001 EV have this available, even as an option? Is Winnebago reading this? I'd pay for that trip computer, too, especially on a traveling van like the EVC. And a remote for the stereo, did I mention that?

Oh, thanks, mmimmo, for settin' me straight about the Weekender features (battery, etc.). Sometime I don't know out of which side of my mouth I speak. And honestly, the guy told me $36K. Maybe, just maybe, with his rather thick Russian accent, I misunderstood, or maybe he got took. Niello in Sacramento once offered me an EVC for 7% above invoice, FWIW.

As for the guy with the Synchro Westy with the great, great, Subaru Legacy engine conversion: I possibly would get one too if I could get it new, but I couldn't, so I didn't. Of course there are the issues of having nothing between me and utter disaster but some thin sheet metal and and a boiling hot radiator, no ABS, no airbags, etc. His EVC must have been older, as I've experienced none of the problems he's described, except some of the cabinetry rattles, but what did I expect? Haven't tried it, but I suspect you could put more than a few pounds on a roof rack (I've seen it done), as it takes quite a pull to lower the pop top for driving...
  • joseph35joseph35 Member Posts: 6
    Any news about its anticipated redesign?
  • bcambobcambo Member Posts: 3
    The Eurovan sounds very interesting after reading several hundred Chrysler/Odyssey comparison posts. Can someone please tell me if there is a VW dealer in the Chicagoland area that actually cares if they sell any Eurovans or not?I can't seem to find any who want to take an interest.I did see one GLS at the Autobarn on Rand with a sticker of $34,000.00.I can only assume they have heard about the growing interest of these vehicles. Also, can someone tell me the road/wind noise level at speed on the highway in a Eurovan GLS? The reportedly high noise level of the Honda minivan on the highway seems kind of off-putting to me.
  • goblue96goblue96 Member Posts: 33
    Did you try Jennings in Glenview? Just a thought, I know they move a lot of VW's.
  • erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Has anyone compared the GTRV Westy to VW's Winnebago Camper conversion? Saw a GTRV Westy at Costco and it was priced in the low 30's with a number of options.
    No. Never seen or even heard of anyone buying a GTRV. But I have seen a few Sportsmobiles, http://www.sportsmobile.com , and heard very favorable reports. Quality in the Sportsmobile I saw was excellent. Especially the cabinetry.

Most of the EVC types wouldn't buy a van based on an American van. The ride is just different, as is the image. YMMV

• jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    Car and Driver reviews the MV weekender in the current issue. They pretty much hate it and think it is still way overpriced. Better as an airport shuttle . . . .
    doesn't like anything that isn't biturbo-ed and tri-spoilered. What a surprise.
  • lmac1lmac1 Member Posts: 13
    I'm now considering a '01 EV to adapt to carry two wheelchair passengers. I've got two questions that, hopefully, someone can answer (the EV I'm considering is 200 miles away and I haven't been able to see one locally):
    (1) is it possible to move the rear beach seat in an '01 GLS back some (by unbolting, adding new mounts closer to the rear door, etc.)?
    (2) What's the floor to ceiling distance in an '01 GLS (I've seen reports between 53" and 58")?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Consider directing these questions to the Eurovan list. Go to www.vanagon.com and browse through the various vw van mail lists. It will give you a link to the Eurovan list. I'm sure those folks would be glad to help. Interior height shouldn't have changed, but it will vary between a camper, weekender, and standard EV. I would trust the numbers at vw.com.
    "The EuroVan is so boxy that it makes the old Ford Aerostar, former holder of the minivan car-as-carton trophy, look curvaceous."

Columbian review

Steve
    Host

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Job /Volkswagen/EuroVan/2001.asp

http://carpoint.msn.com/vip/Heraud /Volkswagen/EuroVan/2001O.asp

You'll have to cut and paste as the word was too long for the program.

All point to the obvious. This vehicle is for utility. Look for dual electronic power leather comfy gizmos elsewhere.

• tjparkertjparker Member Posts: 25
    Okay, I've just read the Edmund's review of the 2001 Eurovan. Though this review is more favorable than many reviews out there, like those other reviews, they continue to miss the point in a couple of key areas:
    1) The Eurovan is NOT a mini van! Why keep comparing it to the mini vans? Mini vans make me sick, because the auto makers in this country seem to think that, because they sell well, EVERYBODY wants one. I don't want one! They're cars with a thyroid problem. If I want a station wagon (what they really are, after all), I'd rather have something like a nice old 57 Desoto.
    2) Where do these reviewers get the figures for cargo volume? One of them (don't remember which) actually says the cargo volume of the EV is only about 19 cubic feet! So, no surprise, the Honda and Mopar minis have more cargo volume than that! Take another look, guys, ALL the minivans are TINY inside compared to the Eurovan!

The closest thing to the Eurovan today is the Chevy Astro or GMC Safari. I rented one of those recently to use on vacation. It's bigger outside and smaller inside than my 1993 EV (which has AC problems and a lot of miles, so I didn't want to take it across the desert). I would have been a lot more comfortable in the Safari if I'd had my left leg amputated before the trip - there's just no place to put your left leg in that thing! The fender well intrudes into the driver's legroom MUCH more than does the EV's fender well. Also, the engine cover in the Safari, though less in the way than it was several years ago, is still this big ol' box right there, jutting out from the middle of the dashboard. The Safari has gotten better reviews from the same people that reviewed the 2001 EV. Heck, my 1993 handles better than the Safari, so I'm betting the 2001 does even better. The Safari blew all over the road in windy conditions, whereas in my EV I have to check the bushes along the freeway to see if the wind is blowing at all, because I've never felt it in the EV. The 2001 EV has a smaller, and yet more powerful engine in it than the Safari, and it can tow nearly as much even though it's front wheel drive. Go figure, though.

Then VW misses the point in having the poorest marketing of the EV in the US of just about anything imagineable. While I was in Iceland last year, I was amazed at the number of "eurovan" (still called transporters, which is what they should be called over here, dammit!) models available. Like, why can't I buy a VW "Californian" here, with my choice of gas or diesel, synchro 4x4, 5-speed stick, and a camper package made by VW, not some after-market outfit with poor quality control and customer support like Winnebago??? Many of the taxis in Iceland are long-wheelbase "eurovans" with 9-passenger seating, 5-cylinder diesels and 5-speed stick shift transmissions. I was amazed at how well they got up and went with the driver, myself, and about 6 friends on board.

My 1993 EV is a stick. I don't like automatics, but that's just me. I'd be much more inclined to consider upgrading to a 2001 EV when it's time to give up on the 93, if I could at least get the currently-available MV (even with the automatic) with 4-wheel drive. That'd be nice. Swap out the "little girl's transmission" with a 5-speed and I'd be happier than a...

-Tim.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    VW has a real marketing problem indeed. The Eurovan is very European. To those that have driven much over there the name of the game is to cram as much space as possible into the shortest length and narrowest width. You can get a hint of this by looking at the external dimensions of a Passat compared to an Accord, or look at the lengths of BMW's. Length in and of itself is a bad thing. But Americans look at it differently and want size for their money - e.g. SUV's. The Eurovan does the best job possible in meeting this European concept by building a tall box, it is shorter than any US available mini van (except MPV by 1inch) and it has way more space than any of them. Worldwide, it is a very popular van. In the US most everyone thinks it's weird. I think VW should cater more to the European-thinking niche market in the US and offer it with the TDI engine and 5 speed manual like they do in Europe. Then it would be the MPG champion of all Vans in the US and stil have that great TDI torque. Instead they give us a version that is unpopular in Europe with a real gas-guzzler engine requiring PREMIUM gas, and a slush-box transmission, so it becomes a weird hybrid indeed.

There's my 2 cents worth ( I recently got back from driving a Turbo Diesel 5-speed Renault Megane Scenic van in France which got well over 40 mpg with plenty of torque. No problem at all doing 100MPH plus on the Auto route. With diesel the equivalent of $2.60/gallon my fuel costs were actually lower than if I was driving a minivan in the US (which get ~1/2 the gas mileage of the Renault.
  • zugbrownzugbrown Member Posts: 1
    Greetings from Wyoming. We just purchased a 2001 Eurovan MV and we love it. Now we're considering floor mats, seat covers, bra, and mud flaps to protect our investment. Is this a good idea? Can anyone recommend specific products? Should we buy genuine VW parts or is there a good alternative? Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • gdementgdement Member Posts: 4
    to zugbrown
    I just purchased floor mats and bra from gowesty.com and was very happy. Let me know if u find seatcovers.
  • erinsquarederinsquared Member Posts: 178
    Ok, I can only look at the German web site and deam of having the choices provided in Europe. The new 2.8l for 2001 has nice power and price drop is great, but only 188ft/lbs of torque for this heavy van? How about boring this out to 3.2l or larger to improve torque? Five speed would be nice since most of us that have ever owned a bus shifted for ourselves and like this feature. A syncro with a transfer case with low gears plus road clearance would be awesome for those of us that love to venture off-road and camp! Now add the great mileage plus altitude power compensation of the 111KW TDI engine and now we can get great mileage. I remember seeing someone post that VW only sold about 2000 EV here last year. When you're at the bottom, why not experiment with some new offerings? Don't try to be just another DC mini-van. Somebody pinch me!
    Hm...

Well, based on what I saw in Iceland last year as a guide, I'd like a long-wheelbase Eurovan with the TDI diesel, Syncro 4x4, and 5-speed manual. An MV would be okay, as my kids are growing and I probably don't need the poptop for extra sleeping space.

I actually posted something like this as a comment on VWOA's website. Got a couple of quick responses, until I contradicted the rep's remark that VW doesn't "make" any options for the Eurovan other than what's over here already. When I told him about what I saw in Iceland, I got no response.

A guy I met at a SOTO meet in the late 80s had a similar experience. He took a Canadian transporter brochure to a VW dealer and pointed to a double cab 4x4 Tristar pickup and said "I want one of those. Can you order it for me?" to which the dealer replied with something like "They don't make one of those." Even with the pictures right in front of him! He ended up buying a used 1984 or 85 doublecab 4x2 pickup from an outfit in Idaho that used to advertise in Hot VWs. Had it right there. SOMEBODY makes them (I'm betting VW ;o)).I checked their prices once, and found them too high for my taste.

Shortly after that trip last year, someone on the EVUpdate list noted that they heard of an outfit in the upper midwest that will import European cars and equip them for US safety and smog. I may look for them when it comes time to replace my 93 EV. Problem would be getting warranty repairs done, if you needed them (my 93 sure did! SEVERAL times!). I'd probably try to negotiate the price down to compensate for a lack of a powertrain warranty and do the work myself. But even then, I'd have to special order parts from Europe somehow.

-Tim.
    Don't know if it's a misprint or what, but I just got a brochure in the mail for the 2001 Eurovan, with an offer of a free t-shirt if I test drive one. In a small footnote to the base price, it says "equipped with the 5-speed manual transmission". I'd be a notch closer to going for it one of these days if they really do offer a stick. Add the Syncro to that, and I'd be even more tempted...

-Tim.
    I will tell you from experience that most dealer's are not supportive of finding parts for non-U.S. spec vehicles (let alone servicing them under warranty). It is sometimes hard to get insurance for these vehicles. I would highly recommend staying away from importing a new European spec cars unless money is no object.

One modification I was curious about is knowing if someone has added a supercharger on the VR6 engine since aftermarket kits are available for the Jetta & Golf. Don't know if it would bolt into a EV, but the extra power would be great pushing the weight up mountain grades ;).
  • richcolorichcolo Member Posts: 81
    I got the same brochure as tjparker, but I've checked Edmunds, Kelly Blue Book and VW sites, and they just don't show a manual transmission for the Eurovan. Darn. Oh well, I probably couldn't talk Mrs. Colo out of her Odyssey anyway.
    Sometimes manufacturers will put out their literature to press before making the final call about vehicle offerings. It is a shame if VW made a last minute decision to ditch the manual shifter. The cool million dollars that the EPA charges to get certification for every single drivetrain combination also doesn't help especially in light of the low sales volumes. If the EPA would revise their procedures and drop the price so that this cost much less, the American consumer would have a greater number of choices available.
    Detroit News article

Steve
    Host

Another horse-puckie review!

I'm convinced: These twits just read each others' reviews and propogate the same stupid misinformation from the previous reviews.

Once again, they're comparing the EV to minivans. It ain't. Why not compare them to full-size vans? The EV does pretty well by comparison, particularly since it's a lot cheaper to feed. Why not compare them to the Chevy Astro/Safari vans? It's got more interior room and much less of a "wheel well interference problem" than those goofy dinosaurs.

And 201 hp isn't enough!? Give me a break! These people can HAVE their 50K Mercedes and BMW Sputes with their nuclear seat warmers and 50 drinky holders throughout the cabin.

Who cares if the "design is a decade old?" If it was a good one, why replace it? (I think the Microbus concept is one of the ugliest vehicle designs ever, second only to that ridiculous Pontiac Aztec - Heck, even the 1960 Desoto was a prettier car!).

Dual sliding doors? What the hell use are those, even on minivans? Seems like an excellent way to reduce the structural integrity of the vehicle, though, by "installing" big holes on BOTH sides of the van body. Oh yeah, forgot to mention to the designers of these - the curb is on the right side! Then there's the rear hatch: Mine 93's isn't heavy at all. And when it's open, it's great for getting out of the rain under. And a lot less silly than the Chevy Astro/Safari solution to put 3 doors in one opening. THREE!!!

Don't understand the hill-climbing remarks. My 93 EV with the 109hp 5-cylinder keeps up with the so-called minivans up grades just fine - even passes them. with nearly twice the hp and a good third more torque, the new ones ought to do pretty well, too.

Can't comment on the complaints about the automatic. I've never driven one, and would rather not have one.

As for removing the rear seats: Most of the time, you probably don't need to do this at all. Even with the seats in with the backs folded down, the EV can carry more than a minivan. I've taken both seats out of my EV. Center 2-person bench is easy, but probably a tad heavy for some people. Doesn't bother me. The back seat requires tools and two people, but it's not hard either. I've probably had it out 3 times since I bought the van 7 years ago, though. And I haul a LOT of big, heavy, and bulky items with my van. Can't do what I do with my EV using a minivan. I know, I had a Toyota Previa (aka Jelly Bean) for about a year. And yes, the 93 EV had much more power than the Previa, even though it is a bigger vehicle.

Gawd, I hope we can someday get some decent, informed reviews about the Eurovan one of these days.

And a 4x4 with a 5-speed stick would be just the ticket for me...
    "Gawd, I hope we can someday get some decent, informed reviews about the Eurovan one of these days."

I think we just did :-). Thanks!

Steve
    Host

Anyone have information on what the next EV platform will be like?
  • lmac1lmac1 Member Posts: 13
    I'm not sure I have a dream EV any longer. After measuring the interior passenger compartment of a '01 EV GLS, I found the floor to ceiling height is now only around 53", compared to the 61" of my "90 Multivan. So, an EV is not for me.

Anyway, I did see this site http://www.expatica.com/germanymain.asp?pad=190,230,&item_id=11159 for a German EV which is clearly NOT one I would dream about (if my math is right, I believe it comes to something like $76,000 US.

Utility is cannot be measured with a skidpad or race track so it isn't sexy.

These folks (reviewers) aren't much different than everyone else with Madison Ave. Groupthink. There's really two brands of automobile journalist out there: 1: The Road & Tracker who thinks everything should sit three inches off the ground and have a v12 biturbo, and 2: The Consumer Reporter who thinks everything should be small and preferably run on batteries.

So every vehicle is compared to a Lamborghini (sp?) or Prius. And, of course, every vehicle falls short. Moreover, a fullsize van is just short of the dreaded, evil, assault SUV as anathema to the Consumer Reporter set, at least until they built a fullsize truck based vehicle out of recycled tofu and run it on batteries or biodiesel.

As for "vans" neither of these folks really like them at all. If they must review a van, they prefer a momivan-- everything is compared to the Honda. Momivans should be low and built on a car chassis with tiny payloads and lots of power gadgets.

You'll never see a kind word about any fullsize or midsize van because they simply do not value what these vehicles bring to the table.
  • greatguygreatguy Member Posts: 2
    Okay, so if you're 6 foot 4 and you'd love to get a new weekender or winnebago camper model, how do you alter the drivers seat so you can fit? The dealer doesn't know. Both models feature luxury seats that don't adjust vertically. Both have steering wheels that are fixed. Try to get into the cab, bump your head, jeeze. Then the knees sit so you can only drive with them and not the hands.

Is there anywhere we can go to fix this or get a fix? We had our heart set on replacing the 78 camper that fits perfectly.

Someone tell VW what a crappy deal this is. No way to fix means one less customer.
    EuroVan is updated offspring of '60s VW bus

Steve
    Host

This one is much better, actually seeming to describe the vehicle in the title of the review.

They did an okay job of describing the history of the transporter, though they are a bit off with the naming of the things. I don't remember seeing a sticker on any "barndoors" about a 50mph speed limit. It's possible, though (early microbuses had governors on the carburetor, but I never actually saw one still used on a daily driver). In fact, I was on a SOTO caravan in the mid-80's with a 52 microbus that kept up just fine at 55-60mph, and with the 25-horse engine at that. My 67 did fine up to 70mph, but the engine lasted a lot longer between overhauls if I kept it below 65. I ususally drove it at 60.

It truly is great that VW dropped the prices of the 2001 EV by about $5K, but considering they were prepostrously priced before that, it only brought them in the range of other vans (including the dreaded "minivans") in price. Still pretty pricey for my blood, but I'm still thinking about going that route someday.

I'd also have to spring for the $1k sunroof to keep the vehicle from getting too hot inside on summer days (but I paid half that for my 67 Microbus when it was only 8 years old). My 93 EV developed a crack in the windshield last summer when it got into the high 90's for a couple of days while the windows were buttoned up. Outside layer cracked because it was a lot cooler than the inside layer. The crack is about 18 inches long now.

Heated seats? Sheez!

An MV with a weekender package would be cool, but now we're well over $30K. Yikes! I could pick up 10 to 20 1967 Transporters for that.

I just have to come out in defense of that rotating seatback adjuster, though. Ever try adjusting the seatback in a car with the conventional kind? The kind that releases the seatback so you fall suddenly if you "leave" your weight on it and don't let go of the lever quickly enough. End of comparison!

15-20mpg for a mid size van isn't all that bad, and is all you could get from a Chevy Astro. Bigger vans suck more fuel, naturally, and cars (like so-called minivans) *sometimes*
    use less. No surprise there. Now if we could only get the TDI diesel, we could have 30+mpg and all that room to boot!

The rest of the review comes out pretty favorable to the EV, actually.

When I go to replace the 93 EV, I'd also like a 4x4 and a stick, so much so that I might just go ahead and bail on VW and buy a 4x4 crew cab Tacoma and use my 60 VW singlecab for hauling the big stuff. I'd truly like an old 4x4 collector vehicle instead (like about a 1988 VW Tristar), but can't see using one for long trips, so boring and new seems to be my only option.
  • osvaldoosvaldo Member Posts: 11
    I am looking to replace my Ford Expedition and think the Euro might do well. Problem is the only one around here is a very ugly White color. I know its not a pretty vehicle but I wish dealers had a better selection of these vans and especially the darker colors. I really enjoyed driving the white one but am not sure I can live with the styling. Its amazing how much room it has in a space narrower and shorter in length than my truck. It handles amzingly well and actually feels peppy. I can't seem to find much pictures of these vehicles on the web and the dealer brochure even is very unrevealing. Anyone with sites that show more pictures would be welcome.
    Did you see Edmunds' link to photos?

Steve
    Host

• carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    We got it from Bob Brunner Volkswagen on East Grand in December 1970. We loved some features and especially the scraper Bob Brunner himself gave us to scrape the frost from the inside of the windows in the winter when the "heater" did not provide heat to defrost the inside of the windshield. For us, the firm and well designed seats in all Volkswagens were a very nice feature.
    We got our next VW (a 1965 Kombi) in Neu Ulm, Deutschland. The 3rd Volkswagen was a NEW 1975 VW Rabbit from C.Pace Volkswagen in Laramie on South 15th Street since Clarence Pace had purchased the Laramie VW dealership from Bob Brunner. Got our 4th VW (used 1971 Bus) from a private party and our 5th and last, a used 1977 VW Bus in January 1979 from a VW dealer. That dealership was very incompetent and had mechanically ruined the 77 Bus. Their rotten, care less attitude tarnished the VW image. Hope you are enjoying your new Eurovan....which should give excellent service unless VW dealership mechanics ruin it.
    There are some VW dealerships that have outstanding mechanics. The mechanics at a different VW dealership fixed our 77 VW Bus so it would get 30 MPG whereas it got only 11.1 MPG on the highway at 50 MPH when we got it and the selling VW Dealership told us there was nothing wrong. Be very careful with whom you trust the maintenance of your excellent new VW.
  • vw_wannabevw_wannabe Member Posts: 1
    I am so undecided, I'm torn between which car to buy. My choices are the Hyundai tiburon, the toyota celica, the civic, the VW golf 1.8T, and the Jetta 2.0. They are all around the 18-20 thousand range. What should i do??? Theya re all nice cars, and i'm a valet so i've driven all of them, but i don't own any. I need to know what problems i'll have 3 years down the line. Any help would be appreciated. Oh and what is the difference between a 1.8L T 4a and the 5m?? thanks.
  • philtannyphiltanny Member Posts: 1
    Greetings all,

I was wondering if anyone knew where I might see a photo of the fold down bed in the MV?

And/or, could any MV owners describe the bed and their opinion of it?

Many thanks!
  • sphil906sphil906 Member Posts: 6
    I am looking to buy a new Eurovan. 2002's have been on dealer lots for about 3 weeks now, but no invoice prices are showing on Edmunds pages. Also, dealer tells me there is $750 dealer cash on 2001 models. Edmunds shows dealer cash in the amount of $1000 which expired 8/31/01. So, does anybody know anything about current dealer cash incentives. Apparently Edmund's is behind the times.
  • silberrucksilberruck Member Posts: 1
    I don't think you will get any cash incentives on a 2002. You will get good prices on 2001s whether VW is giving any incentive or not. I just took possession of a 2002 Weekender today. The only difference between 2001 and 2002 models is the warranty and the depreciation factor, assuming that being able to say that a vehicle is 2002 rather than 2001 affects depreciation (in the insane auto world it does).

I expect that you could end up with pretty identical situations by getting the best price on a 2001 and then putting the difference into extended warranty insurance. The best price on a 2001 at this point should be under $29,000 for a Weekender. I paid $30,069 for my silver 2002. I could have gotten the price down to $29,069 by going about 80 miles north of Seattle. Most dealers in the Seattle area wanted somewhere between $30,500 and $31,000 for a 2002.

Good luck

Dale
    Test drove a 2001 EV and here are my impressions. Has plenty of power and the chasis handles extremely well, but it seems to have low feature content for the price range. I know VW has taken a step in the right direction by dropping prices and improving the engine output, but I still think they are a way off from offering a truly competitive model. Gripes: no tilt wheel, no leather wheel or shifters, poor radio, fixed seat that only slides fore & aft, rediculous mount for middle seats, lack of interior storage and (dare I say) cup holders, lack of curtain/head/side airbags. These features may have been endearing on the older VW models before other minivan choices were available, but they have no place being absent on a modern vehicle. I would not even look at this model if it were not for the MV with weekender option which makes this vehicle unique. Hopefully, VW will get it right in the next version of the bus coming in a year or so.
  • osvaldoosvaldo Member Posts: 11
    This vans best value is with the base model, no options. Beyond that the value slips.
    Base model is not attractive, even to a VW nut like me. 4 captain chairs, but the crazy things don't recline!!!! You buy a van for long distance driving, right? And the seats don't recline?

The new v6 is peppy. BUT, the thing gets less MPG than the small v8 in E150. Amazing.

TDI. Forget it in USA. Manual tranny. Forget it. 4 WD. Forget it. Slider on the left (available in VW vans since the 50's). Forget it. All available in Europe. Forget it here.

Eurovan is a pretty neat product, really. Very roomy. Front wheel drive package. Real payload and towing capacity. But it is available only in such idiotic packages here, it will never be successful. How could anyone be receiving a salary to make these product decisions?
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    MRNIMMO you are exactly correct. VW is trying to "americanize" the Eurovan and the result is
    a what-the-hell-is-it unharmonious paradox. (see post 268). They would be well-advised to bring in Europe's hot-sellers and cater to the European-appreciative niche market in the US. The hot-seller would be a TDI with manual transmission, and how about the stretch Caravelle which is about 2 inches longer then the Odyssey and is comparable to an E150 in hauling space (this is the chasis the Winnebago camper is based on). There is no van available in the US with a manual tranny and they could bolster their meager sales with the inclusion of a manual tranny alone - there are lots of guys like me who feel driving with an automatic isn't driving. They could build on a small but loyal following with products they alrerady have instead of trying to turn a Eurovan into a Grand Caravan. But you are right, forget about it - they don't get it. PS. I only criticize because I like this car so much (with TDI and 5-speed).
  • junebugjunebug Member Posts: 8
    My husband and I are relocating to Denver from the Washington, DC area in the next month or so. We promised ourselves we would get an RV when we moved West again -- but we're now having trouble seeing ourselves in a big, honkin' barge. I've now focused on an EV since it seems nimble while having the things we'd need to get off the road.

I relied heavily on these Edmunds boards when buying my Passat a couple of years ago, and now I'm asking for help again. My memories of the Westfalia's of my "hippie" years stick in my head (refrigerator, sink, etc.) Can you get the EV's fitted out that way? Does VW do it or must one go through a "conversion" company?

Since I'm in SUV/minivans country, we haven't found any EVs on VW lots. So, I'm sure we wouldn't find a camper van new. Are there areas of the country where you can go look at them?
    from thecarplace.com on the Eurovan camper:

http://www.thecarplace.com/01eurovn.htm

Junebug, I think you'll find all of your questions answered in this review.

Drew
    Host
  • junebugjunebug Member Posts: 8
    Oh, my. I have to agree with the reviewer -- my generation will love the new concept design. I want one, bad. By the way -- I saw my very first EV commercial a week or so ago. It was good to see VW finally starting to market it in the US.
    You're welcome :-). Yes, I have seen the VW Eurovan commercials a few times now. The one that I've seen has a few kids riding in the back, and then they pick up a hitchhiker who goes to the cargo area, where we find out that they're all hitchhikers.

Drew
    Host