Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• altairsfaltairsf Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 Eurovan. Most of the options I wanted came standard with it, with the exception of floor mats. Any ideas on where to purchase floor mats?
  • tjparkertjparker Member Posts: 25
    It is, indeed the most favorable review of the Eurovan I've seen yet, although they still mistakenly call it a minivan.

I'm absolutely baffled by their reaction to the concept Microbus, though. I think it's uglier than the Pontiac Aztec (itself uglier than that ridiculous "rubber truck" the Chevy Avalanche), doesn't remind me at all of the original Transporter, and I have absolutely no desire to own one. The Eurovan is a box, which is the most efficient use of space for a van anyway. At least it doesn't have the high rear floor over the rear engine of the vanagon, which was an otherwise decent box (with a Subaru engine, perhaps).

The first generation Transporters are still attractive today, in a truly retro sort of way. A few years ago, a concept microbus sketch was floating around the web that retained a lot of the original lines, which the current concept does not. Wish they'd built that one instead. The new Microbus doesn't even come close to approximating the original lines like the new Beetle does. It should be buried and forgotten. No way it'll be as successful.

I don't care a hoot about front/back viewable lcd screens in the back seats, game stations, or any of the silly Gen X, Y, or Z concepts I've heard about. And I STILL don't want an automatic transmission, even if it means not buying another Eurovan to get a stick.

Somewhat like an old cartoon in a Model A Restorer magazine once read: "Milady can have her Sport Coupe, Let the fancies fondle their Phaetons, and the snobbish are welcome to their Town Cars. But give a man a Truck!!"

-Tim.
  • jts545jts545 Member Posts: 1
    I took a look at the eurovan, and fell in love with it! My only hesitation is how it is at towing. It's towing capacity is 1500lbs.with an unbraked trailer, and 4500 with a braked trailer. I have a fairly small boat(1200lbs.)that is near the max. for a unbraked trailer. I would like to know what others have experienced while towing. Does the van seem to strain under a load? Does the gas milage significantly drop? etc.... Any feedback and comments is appreciated.
  • sweeney5sweeney5 Member Posts: 9
    We have had the EV for a week or two now and we are really pleased. Our only gripe, when going above 60mph it feels like it wants another gear - am I missing an overdrive button or changer somewhere. Before we bought I thought I remembered seeing it advertised with O/D? help??
  • johnj62johnj62 Member Posts: 10
    Much to my dismay, it sounds like the Microbus will replace the Eurovan at some point. Does anyone know how long I have to buy an EV before they are gone?
  • mtgouldmtgould Member Posts: 2
    Our 2000 Eurovan displays a flashing OIL or INSP message in the trip odometer at regular intervals. How do I reset the display? The procedure is not spelled out in the manual, but it has something to do with holding the trip odometer reset button and turning the key on then off then on. Does anyone know the exact procedure?
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    Here's a very interesting item. They are starting production of Eurovans in Puebla Mexico and these are the long wheelbase models. See: http://www.vw.mx.com

It's all there with pictures, prices and specs. The vans are only available with the 5 cylinder 2.5 engine and 5 - speed manual transmission and they come in Cargo van and Passenger van configurations. The vans are all short-nose models that are dead-ringers for what we know in the US as 1993 Eurovans (except they are longer and a tad higher). Apparently they are not intended for the US market and they most likely can not be imported (I think due to safety requirements that the short-nose no longer meets).
  • zavfejzavfej Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone else (in a 2001) had the snow/wheel package that VW gave us mounted on the EV? Our Weekender looks weak without the wider tires and alloys...but it handles as good. I noticed that the "snow" tires they gave are actually all season M+S tires. Dunlops. Did everyone get the same tires?
  • jjgittesjjgittes Member Posts: 54
    Get a load of Edmunds current review of the 2001 EV. Could they have hated this thing anymore? By the way, anyone have any links to info the the EV's replacement?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Here's the link to our, ahem, less than enamored review of the Eurovan.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Okay, you guys asked for it. (well, actually you didn't, but you're getting it anyway... sorry!):

Point by point:

"a combination of floppy handling, archaic ergonomics and a lack of family-friendly features": My 1993 EV handles very well for a VAN (it's not a minivan, dammit). I bet the current EV is at least as agile. ergonomics? Who cares? I've gotten used to where things are in my 93, and can adjust the radio or heater/AC without looking at them now. I guess if I were hopping from one vehicle to the next, constantly, like an Edmunds reviewer perhaps, I'd be more likely to complain about each vehicle being different. Family-friendly? I guess I'm so old and have had so many old vehicles that I don't know what this means these days. I thought my folks' 1961 Ford Econoline was family-friendly. It sure hauled the 7 of us around alright (though not exactly comfortably!).

" the latest Vee-Dub van should surely rival the current domestic and Asian models, right?" Once again, why are you guys still comparing the EV to these Family Transport Pods? I bought my 93 because it ISN'T "car-like". I wanted a van that could carry stuff and people without buying a full-size van. Characterizing a van as "car-like" just turns me off. They're fine for taxis or hauling babies around, but my kids are grown and I'd just like to do stuff like haul plywood or go camping for a weekend in the dirt. Can't do that with one of the Pods. The only thing comparable to the EV is the Chevy Astro, only it's bigger, heavier, more archaic by about 10 years, and has less interior room.

"captain's chairs (as opposed to the standard bench seat) in the second row": Groan. I LIKE the second row bench seat! Even better would be a front and middle 3-person bench seat like the ones I saw in Europe, making the EV a 9-passenger vehicle. But the so-called "American car-buyer" has to have extremely limited options. The lack of a 5-speed or 4x4 option, both available in Europe (and the 5-speed now available in Mexico) is another casualty to this American Buyer nonsense. That bothers me.

"can't make a 10-year-old platform feel like a 21st Century minivan" THANK GOODNESS FOR THAT!

"The EuroVan's floppy handling is perplexing when one considers that, other than the Odyssey, it's the only minivan that currently utilizes an independent rear suspension": Heck, the 1949 Microbus used fully independent suspension, front and rear. They didn't handle that well by modern standards either. What's this got to do with anything?

"The driver's footwell area, for example, proved a constant annoyance for one driver with size-11 feet": Mine are size 9.5. I'm quite comfortable in my EV. The steering wheel is in just the right place for me, and the seat backs are the most comfortable (for me) of any vehicle I've driven. No complaints here.

"the EuroVan's tall, upright windshield and generally boxy shape": Unfortunately, this will still be the most efficient use of space for a van for centuries to come. The Pods are lousy for interior volume efficiency by comparison to the EV.

Can't help you with the temperature displays or controls. I just tweak the knobs (again without looking at them) to make myself comfortable inside, and put my hand against the door glass if I want to know whether it's hot or cold outside. And since I drive up and down I-15 through the California desert, I've got that big thermometer at the Bun Boy in Baker to tell me what the temperature actually is!

"did figure out how to fold the third-row seat flat, but only after three editors spent about 10 minutes trying to figure it out": That's pretty good, actually. I once spent 45 minutes with a couple of friends WITH the owner's manual trying to lower the spare tire in a Nissan Pathfinder we'd rented, so we could change a flat. Couldn't line the jack/crank handle with the socket DEEP inside the body to turn the crank for that long, and we KNEW where to put the crank.

"Even after figuring out how to drop the third-row seatback, we couldn't figure out how to remove the seat completely. Obviously, an owner's manual would have helped here...but we've never needed one for seat removal in the current Dodge and Honda offerings.": Hm. I've never actually measured this, mind you, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the EV has more cargo volume with the second and third seats folded down than the biggest Pods with the seats removed. Where would you put the seats? What if you needed them at your destination? I once put a full-size dining room table and all 6 chairs in my EV without taking out any seats.

"Almost every other minivan comes with dual-sliding doors, too, but not the Volkswagen": Once again, who cares? If it had a left side sliding door, the MV wouldn't have a place for the folding table. That's a cool item that the Pods don't have a match for.

"As a former Odyssey owner, I was repeatedly annoyed after exiting the driver's door and turning around to retrieve my three-year-old son before realizing " Boy, are you easy to annoy! In a few years, your 3-year old will be self-propelled and won't NEED for you to get him out of his seat. Mine hasn't been 3-years old for over 11 years now.

"the price, which is roughly equivalent to a better-equipped Honda Odyssey EX": but the Honda Odyssey would bottom out on a piece of gum on the pavement... Okay, that's an exaggeration, but you couldn't take a Pod down a dirt road and camp away from everybody else. Though my EV doesn't do so well off-road as my 67 Microbus did, it does much better than a Pod.

"those who want something different": like me. Trouble is that this narrowing of options by this perceived need to make every van just like the Honda Oddity or the Mopars results in an EV without the nifty things I'd want most: Like a 5-speed, or 4x4, or TDI diesel, or a REAL Westfalia Camper (not a Winnie) - all of which are produced in quantity in Europe. VOA won't flex either. I get no response from them when I ask whether I could get a stick shift in my next EV. Which is why I may not ever get a next EV.

"Please, Volkswagen, hurry up with the Microbus!" For RICE CAKE, NO!!!! The old Microbus had charm, though some think they are ugly. The new concept Microbus is hideous. I, at least, would much rather have a Eurovan.

Bottom line: I'm very much "Pro Choice" when it comes to buying vehicles. Choices for US buyers are getting more limited all the time.

-Tim.
    Nice counter-points, but I'd still like to see the concept Microbus :-). But a 5 speed would be nice too.

Steve
    Host

(yeah, I had a '69 bus back then for a year or so).
    I don't know what got into the reviewer, usually Edmund's is reasonably fair. If you read their previous review of the EV, apparently they liked it better when it had less horsepower, smaller wheels, smaller brakes, etc. I think a big point is that the EV has useable space more on par with a big van, and they hardly mentioned that the EV interior is huge (even though cubic feet does not tell the story, it's the interior height that makes it so usefull in my opinion). So they are indeed comparing a true utility vehicle with "pods". There really is nothing else in NA comparable. BTW, check out my previous post on Mexican Eurovans. If past history is any indication, VW will be producing Eurovans for another 15 years, so there should be a good pipeline of parts down the road. Re : the Microbus, VW struggled to make a prototype that would pass crash standards, I will wait and see. The concept is a bit gimmicky, making a new FWD to look like an old RWD, which means getting the driver as far forward as possible behind the front engine. A tall box like EV is indeed the optimal utility shape.
    That's a more "encouraging" review than ours, unless you're into "plush" rides I guess. Thanks for the link.

Steve
    Host
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    Who really cares about their cali-fornicated opinions? These are people who think that rate Subarus as the superior form of SUVs, think that Oddities are vans (rather than thinly disguised station wagons), and think that electric cars are the highest form of motorized transportation. They have no clue about utility and want everything to ride like (and be as bland as) a Civic. Why even read their opinions?
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    We purchased a NEW 71 VW Super Beetle, a used 65 VW Pickup in Germany in 1973, a NEW 75 VW Rabbit, a used 71 VW Bus, and lastly a used 77 VW Bus in January 1979. I initially loved all VW for comfortable seats and "fun to drive". However, it did not take long for the arrogant, rude dealer service departments to alienate me against VW.
    In fairness, we did find one OUTSTANDING VW dealership that was able to correct the problems the original dealership caused on our 77 VW Bus.

How do VW dealers treat the customers now in the year 2001? Thanks. Carl
    I don't want anyone to get the impression that I'm down on people that get paid to drive lots of different kinds of cars, compare them and review them. Heck, these people have to write SOMETHING for the large sums of cash their employers are paying them every week. It is simply unfortunate that the results are so narrowly focused that they don't relate at all to the broad range of interests/needs of the American car-buying public. People like me that need a van that's reasonably economical, can haul large furniture items or construction materials, camping gear, and can also easily accomodate PEOPLE in comfort for long drives to Utah and back are simply not addressed by these reviews. I don't even think I've ever MET a "soccer mom." My wife was never one, nor was my own mom. We hauled girl scouts around in my 67 bus and 80 vanagon for a number of years, but I still used those vehicles for hauling heavy furniture and plywood and the like.

No, I don't think automobile reviewers are inherently malicious toward the VW Eurovan, just because they insist on comparing it to the Pods. (Heck, remember: one or two of those reviews came out favorably). No, I just think they're basically stupid.

-Tim.
    Like, for example, spelling it "Volkswagon" instead of "Volkswagen". I see mechanics that specialize in VWs spelling it wrong all the time.

But then, I posted this message just before this one with just the Title! I blame it on my computer keyboard.

-Tim.
    I did a bit of "housekeeping" on your "empty" post, tjparker. For those who want to see what others say about the editorial side of edmunds.com, please check out the December Letters to the Editors.

Steve
    Host
    See? I did it again. Hit the return key instead of the tab key.

Well, at least I like to think I'm not as hard on the Edmunds reviewers as some of the people posting to your letters to the editor page.

All in good fun! ...but if my rants ever result in a little variety available in autos in the future, then I'll feel like I've accomplished something. More likely, though, people like me are down in the noise.

Like I heard on the news this weekend that Cadillac or Lincoln (I honestly can't remember which) has a new SPUTE at the LA Auto show that has automatic retractable running boards and other silly gizmos. Why, when I was growning up, a van or a 4x4 was a "test of a man's ability to withstand pain", or at least a method of entirely practical, if spartan, transportation. I want another one of those!

-Tim.
    You can always delete your own posts at any time with that Delete button next to the title of your message :-)

My '69 VW van wasn't all that painful (except when the head pulled apart on the engine).

Steve
    Host
    Hm. I never noticed the delete button! How cool!

You're right, of course. Especially at the time, "old vehicles" weren't painful. It's only when I contemplate driving my 60 VW pickup across the desert in 100 deg. heat at 55-60mph, being passed by trucks and BMWs going upwards of 80mph, that I think it's painful. Would be too, if one of those twits on their way to Vegas on I-15 were to rear-end me passing another twit that won't get out of the left lane for several hours. Doesn't anybody read the "slower traffic keep right" signs anymore? Guess they don't apply to illiterates.

In summary, it can be a bit scary driving the freeways at 20mph+ slower than the flow of traffic. And I actually did that drive last year! Poor truck's case bolts all loosened up. Had to tear it down almost to the short block to tighten everything back up again. First time I had head leaks that didn't indicate pulled case studs.

-Tim.
  • kagedudekagedude Member Posts: 407
    Hello. We are looking for a new minivan. We currently have a 1988 Mitsubishi Van LS with 150K+ miles. This van is boxy and has so much interior room. I've looked at all the minivans and although they are car-like, it doesn't give us the same amount of room space that we are used to from the Mitsu. I came across the Eurovan and I'm like - it looks exactly the same as the Mitsu except for the longer nose. I've read the posts on ride quality and power. My question would be on reliability. I've heard Volkswagen engine's (Jetta specifically) are only good up to 70K miles before it starts acting up. Also, I've heard about electrical problems. Any truth to this? Comments please. Thanks.
    Kagedude:

I remember driving alongside one of those Mits vans in my '93 EV in a strong, gusty wind. Poor driver was all over the road, swinging that steering wheel back and forth trying to keep between the lines. I honestly didn't notice it was that windy until I saw him and thought he might have been drinking... I saw a bunch of those vans in Iceland last year. There, they were available in a really capable-looking 4x4 configuration. I wonder if one of ours could be modified using drive components from a Montero or something... hm...

You'll find the Eurovan is a lot bigger inside than the Mitsubishi, too, particularly without that big engine compartment inside the van.

Reliability? Better get someone else to comment here, because I've never owned the VR6. Mine has the 5-banger. That engine has been flawless for the 140K miles I've put on it, but that particular van has been a lemon since new. Mostly electrical problems, but the transmission has also needed to be rebuilt about 4 times. The first three were under warranty, the last was at 100K miles and at my considerable expense! I used to follow the Eurovan email lists, and it seems to me that my van was unusual for it's large numbers of repairs (lucky me!). So, I may take a chance and buy a new EV when I can. I still prefer sticks, though, but VWoA won't let me buy a new one with a 5-speed. I doubt very much the engine would need work at 70K miles but, once again, probably better wait for comment from someone that has one with some miles on it.

-Tim.
    I don't own a Eurovan but I can tell you what I have gathered from people who know. First, the Eurovan is based on a delivery Van and is designed to last. It has a good reputation worldwide where it is a huge seller. A delivery van would not sell well with a 70K mile engine. The US market is not that keen on practicality apparently so the EV is sometimes considered a "freak" here. The 5 cylinder can last 200K miles no problem but there were a few problems mostly in the 92's that were sold in Canada. The VR6 has a good rep in other VW's and it should also be a 200K mile engine if well maintained. Maybe someone out there has piled up a lot of miles on their Vr6 EV and can tell us more about it.
    are reporting that this is, again, the last year of the EV in USA.
    And the Eurovan feels much larger than all other minivans. Many people were asking how people get into the bed in the top. Obviously, large heavy people do not.
    But rather the current bodystyle will be finished and the new one will be imported:

http://www.geocities.com/harald_nancy/new_t5_eurovan.htm

As for the bed in the poptop, you climb up using furniture as a stool in the camper or perhaps the rear facing jumpseats in the MV.

WIth the T5, VW is clearly continuing the tradition of placing exterior styling as the very last consideration. The "un-styled" van. On second thought, they must have gone to some funky styling spiritual guru for this baby. How refreshing to have a really ugly van in this world of minivan pods. Good for them, but I don't know why they even bothered with the "waterfall" grill, why not,just punch a hole up front some place for the air intake and then it would look 100% functional.
    We owned 2 VW Busses (1971 and 1977) but unfortunately the 2 busses did not like us as well as we liked them. Too bad VW dealers were not very pleasant when VW was the #1 import vehicle. Volkswagen bus/van are by far the most space efficient of their genre.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The current VW Jetta Owners has been changed to simply Volkswagen Owners. This way all VW models (and owners) are now included in the Town Hall clubs.

Please drop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members.

Thanks!

KarenS
    Host
    Owner's Clubs
    >We owned 2 VW Busses (1971 and 1977) but unfortunately the 2 busses did not like us as well as we liked them.

Let me guess fuel injection problems and ultimately dropped exhaust valves, right?

>Too bad VW dealers were not very pleasant when VW was the #1 import vehicle.

Hence the fact that they sell only a few thousand EV's per year now.

>Volkswagen bus/van are by far the most space efficient of their genre.

Yes. What I want is a Eurovan powered by a fuel efficient engine (TDI) and assembled by Toyota or Honda. Is that too much to ask???
    How did you know the problem? YES. Injectors plugged but also a defective Air Flow Control Box and Cylinder Head Temperature Sensor on the 1977 Bus. The 1971 Bus was just a matter of too many miles on that little, overworked Beetle Engine.
    I think Volkswagen does a fine job engineering and assembling....it was the arrogant, greedy, incompetent dealerships that alienated me with these 2 busses, a NEW 1971 Super Beetle, and a NEW 1975 Rabbit. Hopefully VW dealers learned their lesson well with the drastic drop in sales and now treat customers properly.
    In fairness, there were 2 excellent VW dealerships...1 in South Tacoma, Washington and the other one in South Salt Lake, Utah but we only had brief encounters with these 2.
  • diogenesediogenese Member Posts: 6
    Is it possible to purchase a Eurovan with a TD engine form Europe and import it to the states? I know that Volvo offers an program to do exactly that. Thanks in advance.
    Gee, if Volvo offers it, why not have them import your TDI Eurovan! ;oD

When I asked VW of America about doing just that, their response was that there is no such thing. When I pointed out that there was, I got no further replies.

Guess the answer is no.

-Tim.
    I believe whatever car VW sells in the US must met all sorts of federal pollution and safety standards. The testing is expensive. Even though they already sell TDI's with other cars in the US I don't think these tests validate the same engine in a much different vehicle. I think to even import a few TDI vans means expensive testing by VW which only makes economical sense if they sell several thousand. Therefore, they will not bring in just a few. Nothing is stopping anyone from bringing one in on their own, except you wouldn't be able to register it or drive it! That being said, I also wish I could get one with a manual transmission of course. Another import I would be interested in is the reincarnated 93 Eurovan with 5-speed which is now manufactured in Mexico and this is the long 200" stretch version that the full EVC campers were based on. If only there were some way!
    that can be imported into USA. I've seen a few for sale, usually up north. These early EV's have a ton of miles on them now and parts are even harder to get than gasoline EV's.
    If it's just testing for pollution and safety, it ought to be possible to at least get an EV with the VR6, a 5-speed, and all wheel drive. But they won't even consider it. This is doubly frustrating because the EV I would want - an MV weekender in the bright red paint - would probably have to be ordered from Germany anyway. AHHHhhh!!!!

-Tim.
    Now, this really burns me up. Being a native Californian, I can't even buy one of these here!

http://www.vw-nutzfahrzeuge.de/
  • steveo15steveo15 Member Posts: 1
    there is a news letter out there for about 6 years now that owners have tracked problems and
    unique quirks of eurovans. go to www.VWupdate.com
    or contact www. gregoryw@paducah.com
    i do not represent this business nor do i profit from it just a source of info for me. Steve O
    Sounds kinda pricy considering all the info available for free on the net (not just Town Hall, but a google.com search for "EuroVan" turns up enough reading material for weeks).

Steve
    Host
    The biggest internet eurovan club I know of is here: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ev_update/ There are something like 800 folks on that list.

Eurovan issues are often discussed on the vanagon.com list also.
  • mcc32mcc32 Member Posts: 4
    I know it's not a Eurovan, but does anyone know the status of the Microbus??
  • jamesfletcher2jamesfletcher2 Member Posts: 127
    I feel the same way that I have seen others in this thread note. That the real VW Eurovan that US consumers want is the new 201hp V6, 5 speed manual transmission and all-wheel drive. If they would offer this configuration in the US I would buy one in a heartbeat.

The sorry part is that they have this exact Eurovan available in Germany.
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    Hi everybody of this forum!

I am a brand new (ha, ha, ha) owner of a 1985 Vanagon! I just bought this vehicle with 150000 miles on the clock (body is in decent condition, brakes seem to be good, steering is nice and tight. It has the 2 liter opposed four, and it runs fine. I want to clean it up and give it to my son as his first vehicle (he just got his permit). My reasons behind it, it is very slow an lame, it shouts and screams if it comes close to its limits in cornering, it uses lots of gas (result is not much driving), and he can haul his band stuff around with it. I am locking for any suggestions on what can/will happen with this vehicle and what preventive measures I should undertake (engine, transmission, etc). I am pretty well equipped with tools & car knowledge (I am presently re-building my third old English roadster, which will be my sons summer car).

So any advise and help is greatly appreciated!
  • triumphertriumpher Member Posts: 58
    Thanks for you advise. I have the vanagon site now in my bookmarks and will work through it!

thanks again.
  • erobinsonerobinson Member Posts: 4
    It's difficult for me, but I'm looking to sell my beloved 1993 Eurovan GL with 73,000 miles, strong durable 5-cylinder Audi truck engine mated to 5-speed manual transmission, front and rear a/c, power locks & doors, cruise control, power heated mirrors, rear wiper, premium sound with cassette and CD controller, and four-wheel disc brakes with ABS. Condition of beige-grey interior is excellent. Condition of maroon exterior is excellent but for a cracked rear bumper (hidden beneath bumper sticker) and slight crack at corner of front bumper. I'm wondering what to ask: Kelley dealer retail says $10,800, but I think that's too much. Does $6,900 sound reasonable? These vehicles are rare, it's spring and the cavernous Eurovan is unbeatable for a summer roadtrip with friends, all their outdoor gear and the dog. I'm located in Sacramento, California. Aside from newspaper classifieds, where else is a smart place to offer this vehicle? Are there Eurovan or Volkswagen enthusiast web sites that don't mind ads?