Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    The name of the thread is "Passat Pricing"- cut the guy a break!
  • its_kristyits_kristy Member Posts: 37
    Hey cliffy-

Exactly! Which means that pricing, and ALOT OF IT, has been discussed on this forum. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that because the topic IS pricing, that perhaps the same question has been asked before. Part of the protocol on discussion forums is to do your part in researching the information, not to post a question and let others do the work for you. Especially on extremely common questions that have been asked before, and in this case, at least 10 times.

My reference to looking at previous posts was not meant as a flame, although I am not surprised you took it as such since you obviously like to infer and/or promote negativity and hostility whenever you can.
    Auburn Volkswagen called me today to say that they are having an Invoice Sale(I already bought mine) and that they would sell ANY Passat in stock at dealer invoice this weekend. I don't know if there is any BS surrounding this deal but any of you in the bay area that have dealers reluctant to give you invoice, its only a couple hour drive.

Oh Yeah...ItsKrusty-GFY!
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    is harsh!!! On a more positive note I had to look Crossroads VW, on the ole
    Grass Valley Hwy., up in my Dealer Directory...I did not even know that they were
    there...I would bet you that the *Ad* is supposed to refer to *old-skin* Passats.
    If not, maybe that is another way of saying, "going out of business sale". VW does
    not endorse *Distress* Advertising, nor do they assist in paying for it.

We are running an *Ad Car* this weekend...strippy 1.8T, 2001.5 and they put in
    a picture of a 2001...Mistakes happen all the time...

Are you enjoying your new ride???
    They called me on the phone. It was not an ad. When I was there a couple of weeks ago I don't even think I saw any old style Passats. It is odd though that they would go from "we're not discounting these much" to "Every Passat sold at invoice" in a matter of a couple of weeks. Like I said, I was just passing it on...who knows what they are really up to, they're car dealers!
  • rivasmmmrivasmmm Member Posts: 5
    This message is in response to a message posted on 4/10/01 by vwpassat20015. I just bought my passat 1.8T with the Leather Package and the luxury package. My mom helped me negotiate and apparently she's pretty darn good at it. We walked away happy with a deal for $24,460+fees. This price is actually below the TMV price quoted by Edmunds and it's approximately $400 over invoice. My mom really knows how to play hardball, she just made an offer, the guy came back and said a couple hundred higher, my mom stood firm with her offers raising only by $50-$100. I thought I wasn't going to get a car that night, but the guy went to the office with the sliding door and talked with the finance manager. The entire ordeal took less than two hours of paper signing and negotiating. The advice I have for you potential buyers is to stand behind your offers and don't smile and joke with the guy who's trying to "break your pockets". Just remember that the dealer is never losing money- if they start telling you about all of their expenses, simply tell them that you are there to make a deal at $(what ever your offer price is). Make it clear that if you do not get your deal, you can simply get up and go somewhere else (even if you feel like you want that exact car, don't give in)--They will and you will walk away happy.

The VR6 Passat drives like a dream, but the 1.8T offers 170HP now, so acceleration is very comparable to that of the 190HP VR6. If you have never dealt with a European car company, maintenance costs will most likely be your greatest shock. The 1.8T will be a lot cheaper down the road. All maintenance procedures are a lot more expensive on the VR6's, so that's just something to think about. The TipTronic tranny is sensational. I originally went to the dealer seeking a 5 speed manual, It turns out that they will not be available for another couple of months. The TipTronic is an automatic transmission that you can convert to a manual transmission- you have control over when the transmission changes gears this can be good if you get a thrill out of fast acceleration but sometimes just wish that you could relax on the drive home. The auto tranny will definitely help your resale value and leather is just too cool.

If you're wondering where I got all this free time to type this up--> The configuration I wanted Indigo Blue with black leather interior, they didn't have in stock. They will locate it and deliver it within 5 days. So I hope my advise has been at least a little helpful.
  • jpvwaudijpvwaudi Member Posts: 139
    We have plenty of new Passat 5 speeds on my lot....
  • kimmers71kimmers71 Member Posts: 55
    I bought my Passat Saturday. Well, they actually have to find one yet but I'm confident they will.

I got the 1.8 5-speed, lux, cold weather, monsoon and homelink for $700 over invoice and gave me $2500 for my car which I owned nothing on. I'll only owe $13,600 on the car when I drive off in it so that is a GREAT feeling!! There's always that nagging feeling, "what if" I had tried to get them lower but oh well. I've been waiting for this day for 2 years and I can't wait to get the call that they found my car and I can come pick it up!
  • alldogpocalldogpoc Member Posts: 2
    jaymew asked: Where is the best place to buy in Houston?

I hope this not too late. My wife and I bought a 2001.5 GLX automatic w/ Tiptronic in March from Momentum VW on Richmond with 6-disk CD and tinted windows and paid $750 over the base invoice. We could have spent $180 less for the same car at West Houston who through in a month's free detailing, but Momentum offers better servicing and was more convenient (we live in SW and work downtown). My neighbor bought a 2001.5 1.8 from Momentum as well and I believe he paid $4-500 over invoice. We didn't know they were in the market for a new car, nor did they know we had bought ours until we brought it home. That's when he told us he had just bought one from the same dealer.

Good luck shopping!
  • rurounirurouni Member Posts: 6
    Anyone has any experiences w/ VW dealers in Chicago area? more specific, NW suburbs. I'm interested in 2001 Passat GLS, 5sp, luxury package. I'd like to what deals you got and if it's a good deal. Thanks in advance!
    RURONI...If your interested in taking a drive, They have 2 2001's in Appleton, WI. The dealership is Van Dyn Hoven. It would be about a 4 hour drive though.

If you want their number, I'll look it up for you. Otherwise, try EVS in Menonomonee Falls or Frank Boucher in Racine.

I didn't get very far in my negotiations with Van Dyn Hoven or EVS but I was dealing on a 2001.5.

Good Luck
  • nouvier2001nouvier2001 Member Posts: 4
    anyone have any dealings with dealers in the st. louis,mo. area? Have been shopping around but only getting 5to7% overinvoice. Looking for a 1.8 tip, lux,leather,monsoon,disc changer. drove the passat made me pass on the bmw. great car but one dealer was actually charging over msrp.
    How much was the BMW Dealer charging???
  • hummyhummy Member Posts: 3
    Hi eveyone,

My husband and I just leased a 2001 minivan, but of course my other 10 year old car looks like it's ready to be put out to pasture (Isn't that the case - as soon as you get one car the other one goes). Anyway I'd love to be able to get a new 2001 passat but since that may not be economically feasible, I'd like to know if anyone has purchased a 1998-1999 passat and if so how much? Has anyone had any positive experience with VW dealers in the NY City area? I've always owned American/Japanese cars so maintenance cost is definitely a consideration.

I welcome all suggestions/comments. Thanks very much and congrats to the new passat owners. Perhaps I'll be able to join your ranks in the not too distant future!
    First rule of thumb...go to Jersey...Essex County, Morris County, etc. you can
    go to www.vw.com and look for the Dealer locator...or you can go directly
    to VW Certified Pre-Owned...this page will allow you to spec out what you
    are looking for, and who has it...A Certified Pre-Owned VW will give you a
    2year/24,000 mile Bumper to Bumper Limited Warranty, and 24 months of
    RoadSide Assistance to the nearest VW Dealer.

These Certified Pre-Owned cars will probably be priced at Kelly Blue Book
    suggested retail, which you can find at www.kbb.com

We display these cars seperately from our other selection of pre-owned/used cars
    which carry a 90 Day/3000 mile Powertrain Warranty only.

I am sure that, although the selection will be limited...VW folks generally tend to
    hold onto their cars...what you find will be great cars, and hopefully one will catch
    you eye...Good Luck!
  • tstuhrmtstuhrm Member Posts: 5
    A local dealer in New Jersey and I had different numbers for what the Invoice is for a Pas sat.

I used the Invoice from the Edmunds site and included the $550 best Charge.

The dealer's idea of invoice cost was $217 more than mine citing "advertising costs" which consisted of:
    Northeast association fee $100
    Floor Plan Fee $92
    Port Pep Fee $25
    I was shown an invoice which listed these charges.

Has anyone ever heard of these costs and what are they??

Thanks,

Tom
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Edmunds misses those fees, they are genuine. I have access to VW invoices and the ad fee varies regionally, yours is on the low end of average.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    It could be an option...

However, bear in mind that the Passat has, by far, the best resale value of anything in its' class.

Trying to buy a nice Silver or Black one (Well a Black one up north) or Indigo or Blue Anthracite etc... at the auction can be tough. When it comes to used cars color canplay a huge differenc in the value of a car.

Nice low-mile ones are scarce and they bring huge money.

What kind were you looking for? Base GLS? GLX?

Bill
  • spellboundspellbound Member Posts: 77
    Bill,
    That's always nice to hear and confirms the little research I did before buying mine. It also seems like the V6 holds a good portion of its price premium which was of concern to me since I wanted the V6.

I've only had mine a couple of weeks or so but it's been flawless and I'm very pleased.
    I got a V6 as well. Not only is the resale a nice bonus buut...

Man is this car FUN! :)

Bill
  • passatdvrpassatdvr Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased the following:

2001.5 VW Passat V6 GLX
    Tiptronic
    Reflex Silver exterior/Black leather interior
    In dash CD & 6 CD Changer

$27187 INVOICE
    $550 Destination Charge
    $1075 Tiptronic
    $150 Area Charge
    $92 Floor Plan Interest Reserve
    $25 Port Prep
    $590 6 CD Changer (not sure if this is the actual cost, but what the dealer said it cost)
    = $29669

We made agreeded to the deal for $29200. Was this a good deal? We felt so and took it.

We also were offered 8.8% financing, but when we told them we were pre-approved at 7.25% through Peoplesfirst.com they countered at 6.89%. Is this normal? We didn't hear of any special financing being offered by VW at this time.

Also, we didn't by the extended warranty. From the research we did. Didn't think it was worth it.

We are happy and are looking forward to driving our new Passat for many years to come!
  • peete_rocpeete_roc Member Posts: 10
    The tiptronic tranny is a standard feature on the GLX so why did you pay extra for it? Just wondering..... as i'll be buying one next month. It's my understanding that the $27187 invoice includes the tip.

Thanks and congrats on your new purchase
    Pete
    I have repeatedly mentioned the wisdom of always coming to the table
    knowing exactly what your credit score is, and if possible having a
    pre-approved loan in hand...Every Dealership has a fixed rate in the computer
    as a *default* setting...The first rate was, I think, the *Retail* rate currently
    available from Volkswagen Credit...There are no "subvented rates" from
    VCI on Passats, as there are for some models of Beetle, Jetta, and Golf.

Your Sales Rep. probably would have been better off asking if you had
    a Pre-Approved Loan, as well as the Rate & Term...would have saved him
    a trip to the Sales Manager's Office. The Rate that they got for you is OUTSTANDING.
    Best Subvented Rate from VW is 5.90% for 60 months.

And because there will be folks who love to preen...Let me say first...Congratulations
    on getting a Great car...you two enjoy!!! But, there is a slight error in the numbers that
    you posted above...the $27,187 is the Base price of the GLX With the Tiptronic...
    you don't add it in as an option...at least not on the Invoice...MSRP on the 2001.5
    is $30,375 without the Changer, of course; so if you struck a Deal for $29,200 including
    the Changer you got a Great car; at a nice discount, and the two of you are happy...
    that is really the bottom line.

There will be posts claiming paying less, and that you paid too much...ignore and
    simply rejoice that you got what what you wanted at a great rate, and with a nice
    discount...can't ask for much more than that...

And give some additional thought to the VW Masterguard Warranty...In this world,
    people either believe in them, or they don't, and there is nothing wrong with that...But,
    that Warranty can come in real handy three or four years down the road with Computer,
    electrical, compressor, or other similar problems. With so many complaints about
    VW's 2/24 B2B, and the fact that a comparable Audi is a few thousand dollars more,
    you can have the same coverage and still be a couple of thousand ahead...nuff said.

Once again, Congratulations, and Welcome to the VW Family!!!
  • passatdvrpassatdvr Member Posts: 2
    2001.5 VW Passat V6 GLX - Chicago
    Correction:

$26114 INVOICE
    $550 Destination Charge
    $1075 Tiptronic
    $150 Area Charge
    $92 Floor Plan Interest Reserve
    $25 Port Prep
    $280 In Dash CD Player
    $350 6 CD Changer
    = $28636

$29200 - $28636 = $564 or 1.97% Above Invoice

Not as good as I had originally thought, but inline w/ 2-3% above inovoice.

Thanks for the feed back! Is the extended warranty really worth it?
  • stamkisstamkis Member Posts: 12
    Posted this same message on the Passat forum. Didn't realize that there was a Passat pricing forum as well. (Sorry for this re-post)

I plant to buy a Silver 2001.5 Passats GLX with gray leather interior without 4-motion.

Checked out Edmunds TV for this model. The invoice is $27,737 and the TMV is $28,723. The MSRP is $30,375. Thus, there almost a $1000 mark-up for the TMV. Is Edmund's TMV too much of a mark-up? Seems like some people in this discusion group are getting Passats $700 over invoice.
    If you shop around, you can definitely get a Passat for less than Edmunds TMV. I didn't even have to haggle and got mine for $700 over invoice. (Mine should be here within 2-3 weeks!!)

Edmunds does explain how they arrive at their TMV (http://www.edmunds.com/products/tmv/about_new.html) but I've read on another site, www.carbuyingtips.com and from others' posts that if you can get the car for 2-3% over invoice you are doing good.
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    Very telling actually.

Market value is different on every car. A radical example would be a Honda S2000. MSRP is a good deal.

A chevy cavalier 3% over invoice isnt
    I would use the pricing posts here as a guideline...only. It will depend
    upon the availability of the color and configuration that you are looking
    for, and the Dealership. Like all things in life...some are better than others.

Inventories are better controlled, color mix is good, trim levels as well...these
    stores will probably be less inclined to give a car away, than one that is rather
    poorly managed...Try to find a dealer that has a big inventory of the same
    colors and trim levels...You will find your best deal there.
  • car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    Curious as where you found a gray leather interior. I've been waiting for some time for blue anthracite I/I l. Called WV US, and was told gray leather is in some pine green cars.
    They said I'd have to wait till 2002's arrive in
    Set/Oct.
  • dpr5dpr5 Member Posts: 32
    I was able to get a Silverstone GLX with grey leather interior...
  • davidfosterdavidfoster Member Posts: 5
    I signed the dotted line on a 2001.5 GLS 1.8 5spd with cold weather and the (inevitable and unwanted) Monsoon for ~5% ($1000) over invoice. Probably "too much", but, given the car's availability, the good value we got for our trade-in, and the fact that we (dealer and I) both left the table happy, I'm ecstatic. (Now if it would just hurry up and get here....)

My last VW was an '86 Jetta 2-door (loved it for all 140k). If VW had had a wagon in '93, it would have won out over the Corolla wagon we got, no doubt. Can't fault the Corolla, though: it's been flawless, if bland.
    Congratulations!!! & ENJOY!!!!
  • michaellnomichaellno Member Posts: 4,120
    I'm guessing, from your posts, that you represent a VW dealer.

My wife and I are thinking of getting a Passat wagon (w/ 4Motion), when the lease on our current vehicle is up (Nov 2001). A couple of questions for you:

Is there a big difference between the GLS and GLX? Will the price we pay (as a % over invoice) be reall different?

Just trying to get a feel for the cost of the deal.

PS, our other vehicle is a '99 New Beetle, and we love it!
  • stamkisstamkis Member Posts: 12
    Haven't seen any gray interiors either for reflex silver. Thought since it was listed as an optional match that it would be easy to find.

Most silver models I have looked at are black or dark interiors if I remember correctly. May not be able to get the model I am looking for from what you are telling me. Will contact area dealers for availability. Thanks for the for-warning.
  • origkdsorigkds Member Posts: 2
    I just received the following "Customer Purchase Proposal" from my local WV dealer.

GLS V6 Automatic 22,049.00
    Leather Package 1,325.00
    6 Disc DC Changer 450.00
    Destination 525.00
    ----------------------------
    24,349.00 (Invoice)
    500.00 over Invoice
    ----------------------------
    24,849.00 + Tax and License

Does this look correct and if it is not, how would you approach them.

Taking advice from strangers in Northern California. Thanks
    That's the invoice on a manual tranny. The dealer didn't include his port fee ($25), floorplan interest reserve ($92) or advertising fee ($75). Not a bad deal, just make sure they'll do the same margin on an automatic.
    Shouldn't be too hard to get that ad-changer for
    $310. Good luck.
    Last Saturday called 37 dealers within 150 mile radius of home looking for gray interior. None had a GLX/auto with it. A few times I was offered a GLS; usually black w/gray interior. I realize as soon as the invoice area labeled "stock #" says LOCATE, car is weeks away. VW USA suggests ordering 2002 model for Oct. delivery.
  • telainetelaine Member Posts: 29
    I'm getting close to purchasing a 2001.5 Passat, probably a GLX. Dealer tells me he'll sell a demo for invoice price. It's the silverstone gray with gray interior (haven't seen it yet). Should I expect to pay less than invoice on a demo model a manager is driving? I haven't seen many posts about this. I don't know how many miles it has on it. Are there some guidelines out there about mileage and how it affects purchase price? Anyone with ideas, suggestions and prior experience purchasing a demo, please reply. I'll greatly appreciate it.

Jason, from VW guild, what do you think? You've very knowledgeable. Your prior post talked about financing - how do I get that deal of 5.9% I am planning to be pre-approved and have heard about 7.25% from PeopleFirst.com. I hope I get a counteroffer of 6.89% or even better. Anybody been shopping insurance?

Thanks!
    Re: financing, make sure your dealer will accept a site draft, many no longer do.
  • tuffeetuffee Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a reflex silver GLX sedan, tiptronic. I've been offered $900 over invoice, but the dealer also wants me to pay up to $600 to have the car transported here if he finds the car I want at another dealer.

I'm a bit irritated with this, as I haven't heard of anyone paying to have their car brought in, in the case of a dealer trade.

Does anyone have any input on this? I don't think I'm crazy to not want to pay for the car to be shipped from another dealer.
  • its_kristyits_kristy Member Posts: 37
    Tuffee-

I think it is standard practice for a dealer to charge you for the trucking costs if it is transported on flatbed from another dealer. However, if it is driven from the other dealer, there is generally no cost, however, you are then receiving a car with several hundred miles on it driven by an unknown person at unknown speeds and rpms.

If you don't want to incurr the extra transportation charges, I would suggest just buying it from the dealer who actually has the car and driving it home yourself.
    I'd like to know where they're getting this vehicle from...$600, that's a lot! I would NOT pay for the transportation cost though. I've dealt with dealers when they had to do dealer trades and never was anything said about paying the extra costs involved. In fact, my dealer is doing a dealer trade on my car. Now, I don't know if they're driving it or flat bedding it but I won't be paying any extra charges.

If you go to VW's website and do a dealer search, most dealers have their current inventory listed and seems to be pretty up-to-date. If not, call the dealers. If one has what you want, go directly to them.
  • sczechsczech Member Posts: 2
    I am waiting for delivery of a Passat wagon GLS since October 7th of last year. The car was supposed to be delivered on the past weekend, but now the dealer says that the car did not pass emission tests at the port of entry (Delaware) and some work needs to be done on the car before delivery. If find this story highly suspicious and consider stepping back from purchasing the car. Can anybody comment on how likely it is that cars need additional work upon arrival at the port? Any comment will be highly appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert Sczech.
    Robert, this Dealer wants nothing more than for you to be driving
    your new Passat away from his store...

Every new VW goes through an extensive & rigorous inspection process
    at each Port of Entry, whether that be Delaware, Boston, Brunswick, Ga.
    Houston, or the Port of San Diego. Transmissions have been replaced...they
    can replace Instrument clusters, or in your case they can be replacing
    any number of Federal Emissions components that are not testing
    properly...

Do not worry, do not be suspicious...He is simply telling you the truth...just try
    to be patient for the next few days...and your Passat will arrive just fine...ENJOY!
  • afk_xafk_x Member Posts: 393
    This sounds like the makings of a commercial.

I would never wait more than a month for a car.

Then again I sell cars so I could be lying!
    When I bought my Passat I got luck withthe color combo.

Talked to the dealer principal of the store I got my car from some time later (Think it was 3 weeks or so ago) and he said that he's got people waiting since January for Passat wagons.

I think they just hit, And if my Passat is anything to go on... the car is worth the wait.

I got it back and this car is starting to get some use. I love driving it!

Bill
  • youngedwyoungedw Member Posts: 4
    I am buying a Passat tomorrow, can someone tell me if the price is good?

2001 (not the 2001.5) Passat GLS Automatic, Leather package, Luxury Package, Monsoon, 4 cylinder

All for 23,315

Thank you very much

Ed
  • cc12359cc12359 Member Posts: 31
    I can say it is a very good deal, where are u locate?
    Very good deal! About $1000 below invoice?