Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• dave594dave594 Member Posts: 218
    Any opinions in this group on the Sprinter van? It comes with the Mercedes 5 cylinder 2.7 liter turbodiesel standard.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Hi Dave594 - we've actually tried a couple of times to generate some conversation on the Sprinter (do a search for 'sprinter' when you get a chance), and they're in our archives. The discussions never took off, so good luck getting feedback on that van :)

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• mrnimmomrnimmo Member Posts: 271
    >small engine that has to be geared down considerably to produce good power,

Why? Why was the Chevy Astro the vehicle the target competition? VW solds millions of vans by producing vehicles that were simple and easily maintained, with good mpg. Poor acceleration was never a concern. Why alter the equation and try to out-chevy Chevrolet??? Because the Kalifornia design studios say that everyone wants a big v6 or v8 with leather everything and power glovebox door? The Kalifornia design studios wouldn't have approved of their old products either, but VW built an automotive empire with them....only to squander it away seeking to enter the upscale market.

>aerodynamics of a refrigerator,

Not a problem with the right engine, as you noted with the TDI getting 35+mpg.

>and high curb weight (over 4000 lbs).

Ditto

>The auto transmission does nothing to help the fuel economy either.

Again, why? Even today, VW owners appreciate a manual tranny more than consumers who buy other makes. Why not aim for the market they used to have, instead of entering the "just like every other minivan" segment?
    A fullsize van even in passenger configuration is regarded as a cargo vehicle by those in the media and few consumers even know there is an option. I rarely see the vehicles on the lots, except for the cheap interiored conversion variety.

It's funny, considering that a fullsize van gets the gas mileage of the commonly encountered Explorer/Trailblazer/4Runner/Pathfinder midsize SUV segment, yet has about three times the interior space.

I see a lot of Sprinters, usually in cargo form, but don't see consumers talking about them on any of the boards. The VW van owners segment is a natural place to look for future Sprinter owners though. I must admit that the boxy, utilitarian design with European features and the nice diesel engine are all very attractive.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Anyone shopping Eurovans? I'm still bummed that the new Microvan didn't get past the concept stage in North America.

Last I looked, annual sales were less than 1,000 units.

Steve, Host
  • armchair67armchair67 Member Posts: 4
    I had a 73 VW Microbus up until 3 years ago-a sale I truly regret. It was a fun, useful, very reliable and durable vehicle. I put 160,000 miles on it over 8 years-very hard miles as my plumbing service vehicle-for a total of 293,000 when I sold it-and it is still going(the guy I sold it to uses it in his antique furniture business). I also had a 1988 Wolfsburg Vanagon that was in nearly mint condition, also, an absolutely excellent vehicle. Drove a couple of Eurovans but could not bring myself to buy one-they have less interior room than the rear engine VWs particularly the Vanagon. The rear engine allows for a much longer,more usable interior space. I had to buy a larger vehicle for work in 2000, so I got a full size Chevy,what a piece of crap. By 90,000 miles it was just falling to pieces. It had been in and out of the dealer mulitple times for the last 20,000. Transmission went, door hinges broke,doorlatches, fuel guage, electrical problems-thank God for extended warranties. Some of you asked about the Sprinter-well thats what I bought 4 months ago. have 10,000 miles on it and love it. It is like a large Vanagon-fun to drive, very well engineered,very well made. I wish they still sold a rear engine VW Van or Bus, but they don't so I consider the Sprinter a larger, spritual successor.
  • hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    Your experience with the VW Bus vs Chevy van was just the opposite that I had.
         My new 7 passenger 1976 VW Bus was shot by the time it was 4 years old with 60,000 miles. It was traded in on a new 8 passenger 1980 Chevy Van that was much more reliable and we kept it 14 years and 200,000 miles. In addition, the 6 cyl Chevy van had more power AND a real heater !! My VW Bus was more like your 2000 Chevy (and my 1970 Dodge van).
         Never saved enough on better fuel economy with the 76 VW Bus to pay for extra cost of repairs and maintenance vs cost of fuel, repairs, and maintenance of the 1980 Chevy Van.
         Apparently most people had the same experience with expensive repairs and maintenance with VW Buses, Vanagons, and Eurovans that I did because sales of VW Eurovans dropped below that of the Vanagon which did not sell as well as the VW Bus.
    My sister has had various electrical problems with her '00 New Beetle - too bad, since it's otherwise fun to drive and comfortable.

Edmunds doesn't even list the Eurovan after 2003 - I know sales are way down, but are they officially discontinued in the US?

Steve, Host
  • evfanevfan Member Posts: 1
    I have to ask details on your electrical problems. I am, check that, was a very proud owner of 2000 MV, and in the last 6 months have developed a slew of small, but nagging electrical problems. A/C compressor went. VW does not consider that a major component; consequently they did not cover that. Driver side window stopped operating, and the hand brake light stays on, preventing headlights from operating. HELP!!!!

I am blessed to have a very honest mechanic who is about to retire. He owns no computers, but can tune and air cooled bug better than any butcher at the half a dozen dealers in my area.

He can not help me read codes.

Has any one had or heard of these types of problems in the past?

Anxiously awaiting advice...
    "Volkswagen has dropped plans to build a new version of the classic Microbus, favored transport of flower children and backpackers for four decades. Instead, a "lifestyle" version of the European T5 Multivan light commercial vehicle will be built, said VW chief executive Bernd Pischetsrieder."

VW Drops Microbus, Announces Pickup (Inside Line)

Steve, Host
  • tlriiitlriii Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1999 Eurovan, VR6, with only 40,000 mi. The engine recently has been having problems shifting gears when traveling around 40 - 45 MPH. If I continue to increase the speed, it will eventually shift, however if I maintain the speed it's a hit or miss on shifting. Any one else have this problem or know what kind of issue I'm looking at? I worry that it could be the transmission, but I believe it would be covered under the warranty.
  • scott12scott12 Member Posts: 3
    I have a '96 eurovan with 120,000 mi. and I cannot get it out of park. My mechanic showed me a trick to get it into drive but he has no idea why this is happening. I have to do this "trick" every time. Has anyone ever heard of this before?
    I have the same problem with my '96. My mechanic doesn't seem to think there is a problem. Whenever he drives it there doesn't seem to be a problem and apparently other than checking the fluid level there is no other adjustments that can be made. I know it's not right and I worry that I'll need to replace the tranny soon. I hope someone has a good answer for you(us).
  • papa3papa3 Member Posts: 2
    VW Germany is offering a 2005 Eurovan Diesel in Mexico. It is economical (1.9 turbo diesel), environmentally friendly (clean burning), and capable of carrying up to about 2000 lbs. The Mexico version has 9-10 passenger, or commercial versions. With some minor modifications, this van would be a major hit in the U.S. I wonder why it is not offered here.
    Papa3
  • roseroyceroseroyce Member Posts: 2
  • roseroyceroseroyce Member Posts: 2
    Would anyone who owns a VW Eurovan Camper in or around Montclair NJ allow me to have a peek inside to help me with my process of buying one? Most of the ones available are not near here, and I may have to buy one sight unseen. Having had a chance to look at the interior of one would be a big help.

Thanks in advance.
  • tlriiitlriii Member Posts: 3
    My van is now locked in park and I cannot get it out. Can you let me know your trick? I had my van transmission inspected a week ago and it came back with nothing wrong. It's beginning to really frustrate me and my patience is wearing thin with VW. I'm finding that dealers are not willing to assist me with this issue, even though I've been a loyal VW driver for 20 years.
  • surfamily4surfamily4 Member Posts: 3
    yesterday I saw a track system mounted to the roof only (not sides) of the weekender. What can you tell me about this system?
  • jack_sonjack_son Member Posts: 4
    Hi Roseroyce,
    I wish I lived closer - I'd be happy to show you my 2003 EVC [Eurovan Winnebago Camper, essentially identical to 2001 & 2002 models]. I live about 40 miles E of NYC.

As you may know, the [2003, etc.] Eurovan Campers came in 3 models - MV, Weekender, & Winnebago. You can run a 'compare' search to get a chart showing the specs of the 3. The Weekender has the Winnie pop-up top, but I THINK the full Winnie Kit is the only model built on the 1.5 ft. longer chassis.

I went to CT, Queens/NYC, NJ & PA looking at left-over 2002s, etc. before purchasing my new 2003 EVC from Holbert's VW, Warrenton, PA. The 5 cylinder was reported to be more than a bit sluggish, and the earlier VR-6 6-cyl was somewhat better. My 201 hp [added about 2001] is pretty responsive, and I keep up with most traffic under 80 mph. Long trips are comfortable, even though my other 13 VWs were much smaller. It is nice to see through the large back door/window, & that door opens to horizontal, serving as a high 'roof' when loading rear cargo.
    Hi Roseroyce, Most of my long msg # 498 was not posted. Did you find interior floor plans and pix online? I have VW & Winnebago ad brochures I could scan & email What questions can I answer for you?

I have a lot of info on the following, if you or anyone else is interested:

My EVC Accessories & Tips: [1] inverter [2] gasoline 115 V AC generator - Honda 2KW [3] 3rd battery [4] Floor & inside roof cargo lash points [5] Ham radio antenna, equipment, & coax installation notes [6] warm shower notes [7] 'Fridge 12 VDC/115 VAC/LP notes

I'd like to swap notes with others re their EVC mods & notes.
    jack_son
  • andylykeandylyke Member Posts: 1
    HELP - I'm responding to this one because it has to do with Eurovan transmissions.
    My brotherin-law (disabled) has an '03 Eurovan 6 cylinder Automatic transmission. He ran over , cracked the tranny case, and now needs a new one. VW America is stonewalling the dealer and my brother in law on the transmission which, variously, was shipped, arrived in country, didn't, is lost, was never ordered, ...
    Does anyone have a lead on a recovered, rebuilt transmission for this thing? I'm sure we could start with a wreck and work from there, but the dealer has no knowledge.

Help us defeat VW America's customer no service department!!!

Thanks
  • jthughesjthughes Member Posts: 5
    Purchased (new) a 2002 VW Eurovan Weekender (MV) - wish I had gone the $3000 extra and purchased the camper version. Eventhough we are not a "camping family" (three small kids), we probably would be if we had the camper version. Of course, it seems the camper is only for an overnight or two.
    Love our Eurovan, cannot even touch the cargo space with a Suburban or any other vehicle short of a full size van - and who wants to drive one of those if they don't have too.
    Service seems expensive and that is too bad becuase one tends to avoid expensive scheduled maintenance. I think it is somewhat due to our local dealer being a VW/AUDI/PORSHE dealer whereby VW customers are the lowest on the totem pole and must oull in behind the Porsche Carerra set and have the service techs look at you like "wow, nice Eurovan...".
    Oil changes are a go to the dealer, buy filter for $16, take to local quick oil change and get it done.
    Original Michelin tires are expensive to replace and lasted to 40k, also a bit stiff. Replaced with the goodyear advantage and they are great.
    Brakes - dealer wanted huge dollars to change brakes. Brake sensor light on dash went on at 40k. Drove the car for qite a few miles after that (approx 8000 more miles). Ordered new pads from Europarts-ad online for cheap. Excellent source for Eurovan parts. The eurovan brakes were the simplest brakes I have ever changed. The reason the dealer wants so much if the rotors have very little "extra" on them from the factory - so the dealer standard is to replace instead of turn them. the first time through I just threw the new brakes on right over the origional rotors (no turning) they work perfect. Simple allen wrench to take off the front calipers and a 13mm socket to take off the back. 20 minutes each wheel.
    Complaints: 1) No shoulder belt in back middle. 2) Cd Changer is in BS location under passenger seat and is finnicky. 3) Paint chips easily on front of car, no dings, just tiny chips of the top paint exposing primer underneath. 4) Plastic panels under back seat do not stay on and tabs break.

Otherwise love the car. Solid.
  • lizard2806lizard2806 Member Posts: 8
    We are the proud new owners of a CPO 2002 Eurovan Weekender. I absolutely love it. We bought it in Wisconsin and drove it back to Connecticut with an overnight (in the van) at Allegany State Park. Due to the temperature (we had our 3 yr old son with us) we decided to keep the top down for thie night and just sleep on the "bottom bunk". It is surprisingly comfortable.

I am dismayed at how many little problems are being discussed, but then again, these are Volkswagens. I am hoping for few (or no) problems with this one, but it will be our 7th or 8th VW over our lifespan and know that is wishful thinking.

I am sure I'll be back with more questions, but just one for now. Being a camping "snob", I like to stay away from "RV" camping sites. Does anyone have any good suggestions in the Northeast for EV Camping without the RV's?

Thanks and keep up the chatter!
  • SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    We pretty much stick to discussion cars here only...there are plenty of travel sites where you can discuss locations for camping.

Thanks for helping us keep the discussion on-topic.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    anyone gotten rims to replace the stock ones?? the Tirerack ones offered seem to have a very large difference in offset to the stock ones.
  • jthughesjthughes Member Posts: 5
    Correction to my previous post: Besides spelling errors, wanted to correctly state I replaced the original Michelin tires with Goodyear ASSURANCE tires (not advantage) and they are excellent!!!

Also, if anyone is interested (or knows where) I can get a 2002 aluminum OEM rim for my Eurovan, please let me know - somehow one is silghtly bent and causes a small shake at high speeds.

Just finished replacing all four disc brakes - it was very painless. You need to use an allen wrench on the two front caliper bolts. A 13mm socket (and open end wrench to hold the adjacent collar from turning) on the rear caliper bolts. A special caliper tool for disc brakes (you need this to rotate the caliper as you press it back in) can be purchased from www.Harborfreighttools.com (part # 40732-0VGA). All pads, etc. can be purchased from www.europarts-sd.com
  • mgsukimgsuki Member Posts: 3
    Hi James -- I have a '97 with the same problem. I've looked at the vapor control system and checked for leaks but found nothing. Have you made any progress tracking the problem down on yours? Have you had a smoke test done [apparently smoke can be pumped into the fuel tank to check for escaping fumes]?

- Mike
  • mgsukimgsuki Member Posts: 3
    I have a 97 that has a strong gas fume smell when its hot out. I had a mechanic check for leaks, the gas tank cap, and the vapour control system but found nothing. Anyone have any ideas?

- Mike
    Surfamily4 - I have a 2003 EVC, w/Winnebago pop-top, & I'm planning to get rails for the top. Were the ones you saw mounted flush against the plastic top, or did they have standoff mounts? Were they white, black, or aluminum finish? The Winnie Yakima bars mount across the van, adding wind resistance. Anyone else with EV pop-top rail info?
  • kkhamptonkkhampton Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for your tip. I own a 2001 Eurovan also and I purchased the NITTO 460 235/60-16 104H Reinforced tires. I paid $84 installed in New Jersey. The alternative were the original Dunlops or Michelin Energy's. Both twice the price in my area. The larger tire size fits and provides a bigger footprint as well as deeper tread. I expect them to last much longer than the originals. My tires are new, but I find the performance to be very good. They are also rated M+S so they should be good enough for Jersey snow. Go to www.nittotires.com for the closest distributor as not everyone carries them. Oh, for the Eurovan, you have buy this larger size because it is the only reinforced tire for this line of tire and Eurovan's require a reinforced tire.
  • tdachenhausentdachenhausen Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a '93 MV Weekender. I love it (so do my son and wife), but I'm having trouble with some things, and I don't have an owner's manual to help me. Can anyone here help with any of the following:

1. I can't figure out how to raise the side table table in the back. It appears to have a VERY strong latching mech., but, for the life of me, I can not find it (not to mention release it) and so the table is still tightly closed against the side of the passenger compartment.

2. There appears to be a small, electrically operated refrigerator under the left side, rear-facing passenger seat. I can not figure out how to get to it to open it up, etc., and I am afraid of breaking it or the seat above it. Also, how does it work? Is it hard wired into the vehicle? How do you turn it on and off?

3. Should I get the VW owner's manual? Will it cover the MV Weekender with all its particular equipment (pop-top, frige, etc.)? If not, are there supplements that cover that stuff, or is there a good after market manual (Haynes, perhaps) that does the trick even better?

Sorry for all these questions in my first post, but I need help.

Dach
    Tdachenhausen,

Congratulations on the new van. I've only had mine for a couple weeks now, but I am loving it!

Anyway, I have an '02, but the answers should be the same...I think. It's worth a shot:

<<1. I can't figure out how to raise the side table table in the back. It appears to have a VERY strong latching mech., but, for the life of me, I can not find it (not to mention release it) and so the table is still tightly closed against the side of the passenger compartment. >>

As you look at the table, on the right side there should be a small area where your fingers can sneak behind it. Just pull-the only latch is a pressure latch-it should just release. Make sure the rug isn;t in the way or anything as well.

<<2. There appears to be a small, electrically operated refrigerator under the left side, rear-facing passenger seat. I can not figure out how to get to it to open it up, etc., and I am afraid of breaking it or the seat above it. Also, how does it work? Is it hard wired into the vehicle? How do you turn it on and off? >>

As you look at the seat above the fridge, there should be a lever on the left side between the seat and the side wall (the one the table is on) lift it up and the bottom of the seat pops up and you can slide the fridge out. To get the top off the fridge, slide it towards you and up.

As for turning it on and off, there should be a swithch and a fuse visible on the back. When the fridge is on, the switch glows red (in mine). It should be plugged in, of course, in the 12 volt outlet under the driver's seat (there is a second battery under the seat).

3. Should I get the VW owner's manual? Will it cover the MV Weekender with all its particular equipment (pop-top, frige, etc.)? If not, are there supplements that cover that stuff, or is there a good after market manual (Haynes, perhaps) that does the trick even better?

My owners manual includes info on the extra things included in the weekender. I would recommend it, as in my brief glance through it, I found many interesting things-like what little levers that appeared to do nothing were for.

I know nothing of the Haynes, but plan on getting one for myself.

Best of luck.
  • wingsolwingsol Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have any tips for finding a middle bench for a 97 Eurovan...other than the dealer. We are in the Los Angeles area.
    I do not know if they have them, but try these guys:

www.gowesty.com
    www.eurocampers.com
    www.bus-boys.com (more older stuff, but some EV)

You can try Ebay and Google as well.

Good luck.
    Sorry It took so long to get back to you. I hope it's not too late . You need to turn the key to the first position, then push the button in on your shifter, if it won't go in turn the key just a tiny bit more until the button will go in, and then while holding the button in start the engine and then shift it into gear. Don't let the button out until you have shifted into gear. Let me know if it works.
  • ennessenness Member Posts: 2
    looking to buy a '93 EV camper with 120,000miles on original engine. what is the life expectancy of the engine? other major systems? read a lot of horror stories in this group ..just looking for any experience/comments on above.

thx
  • ennessenness Member Posts: 2
    maybe the question should be about Eurovan engines in general? Back in the 80s we used to see the engines go at about 100000 miles on the vans.
  • surfamily4surfamily4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I only saw the eurovan pass by thru my window. As far as I could tell, the rails were flush against the roof, and black, and there weren't any racks on it at the time. We have the Weekender, not the Winnie (don't they recommend rain gutter tower mounts for the Winnie?) and the EV I saw was also a weekender. I am leaning towards this setup because it seems more versatile (I like the fact that you can slide the towers to accomodate surfboards or snowboards) but I am concerned that it might make the racks stand up higher and so be harder to access the boards on top. (I'm not the tallest person in the world).

I'm also a little concerned about drilling through the poptop and what effects this might create.

There's got to be others out there with poptops and racks. Any advice out there?
  • coloniuscolonius Member Posts: 1
    Hello all, may I give a short introduction of myself: I´m living in Cologne, Germany owning a ´93 Eurovan Syncro (short wheelbase) and a ´86 Vanagon with a Porsche V8.
    After looking for alternative sliding windows instead of the original, i found several pictures of the Winnibago sliding window, which is (only?) for the large wheelbase and for the last window, passenger side. Several contact to Winnebago or suppliers failed (because of mybad english :confuse: ) or ??
    I´m looking for someone, who wants to help me find a) the manufacturer, which produces these Winnebago sliding window or b) helps me let the window be produced fitting the short wheelbase and also those windows for the sliding door and the opposite side (replacement)
    Thanx for reply

Colonius :)
  • woodymwoodym Member Posts: 3
    www.vw.com isn't showing any market for new Eurovans in the U.S.
    What's the best way to buy a eurovan this year?
    I like the track record of VW cars. I like the passenger space and the cargo space in the eurovan. How can I convince my wife that it is better than a minivan?
    Anybody with some compelling arguements?
    Can U.S. Customers buy the Mexican version and import it?
    I was sitting in the Stop and Shop parking lot the other day (while my wife ran inside) and what did I see, but an EV weekender with a roofrack. Of course, I flagged him down. He was in a bit of a rush, but I got out of him that he used a Thule rack with "false gutters". Basically a plate that he screwed into the side of the pop top and attached the thule mounts to them. He siad he had done a lot of research and thought this was the best solution...then something about lateral stability. He also claimed that he has had a canoe up there and gone 85 with no problem.

I can not vouch for any of this, however the rack did look like it had been up there a while and there was no visible signs of damage to the top on the exterior.

The search continues. If I fabricate custom brackets that dont require drilling, how many of you would buy them (that is, of course, assuming they work). I might be willing to give it a shot.
  • sharkletsharklet Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1993 MV ith 174K miles on it and it is till running strong and has excllent compression. Just change the oil regularly.
  • sharkletsharklet Member Posts: 2
    There are only 2 things that need to be improved on my 93 MV Weekender. 1) Road noise - it is noisy inside when your dribing down the highway; and 2) the susspension is a bit stiff. Does anyone have any suggestions for how to add any noise reducing insulation or other product to the MV? AND Does anyone have any advice on new shocks - are they worth it??
  • sharonl1sharonl1 Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I are seriously considering buying a used Eurovan camper. Will be a car used both daily for very short local trips (5000 miles/year) and used extensively for weekend and longer camping trips. After some research and reading many of the posts, I have lots of questions! I appreciate any answers you may have. It seems that we may need to budget more for repairs, but are willing to make that trade off within reason.
    1) Looking at vehicles online, we noticed that it was not unheard of for these years to have a new motor or transmission, which is worrisome. Is this an aberration, or should we be concerned about the longevity of the drivetrain? We would most likely be buying one with around 100,000 miles and hope to drive it for years.
    2) I saw several posts asking about safety, but no real answers. I have looked unsuccessfully for crash test results. Also, do all '97 and new come with both driver and front passenger airbags, or was the passenger one an option?
    3) We live in Eastern Washington, and have not yet found any for sale nearby, although we have not really looked seriously yet. Anyone have any experience buying from the company "Pop Top Heaven" in California?
    4) Recommendations between the various years 1997 - 2000? Any quirks/problems that were only present in one year that we should be aware of?

Thanks!
    Sharon
    >>1)we noticed that it was not unheard of for these years to have a new motor or transmission, which is worrisome. Is this an aberration, or should we be concerned about the longevity of the drivetrain? We would most likely be buying one with around 100,000 miles and hope to drive it for years.

I'm a HUGE VW van nut, but I would have to say that, honestly, it has to be worrisome. More worrisome, I think, is the lack of parts availability for late EV's that sold so dismally in the US. Hard to drive the vehicle for years since they really aren't many sources for repair parts at least in the US. You'll notice that the Mexican EV's are more like the early EV's, so there are few parts that interchange.

>>2) I saw several posts asking about safety, but no real answers. I have looked unsuccessfully for crash test results. Also, do all '97 and new come with both driver and front passenger airbags, or was the passenger one an option?

Sorry, no idea.

>>3) We live in Eastern Washington, and have not yet found any for sale nearby, although we have not really looked seriously yet. Anyone have any experience buying from the company "Pop Top Heaven" in California?

I've heard that they are very expensive and but that they know their job.

>>4) Recommendations between the various years 1997 - 2000? Any quirks/problems that were only present in one year that we should be aware of?

Not really. All had electrical problems and FI issues to my knowledge.
  • williams6williams6 Member Posts: 1
    Hi my name is Lloyd. This is my first time on the site. I am interested in the Eurovan Diesel sold in Mexico. If I live in Arizona, can I get the vehicle and does anyone know how much it might cost or where to get it. Thanks.

Lloyd (williams6)
  • fallen1fallen1 Member Posts: 1
    i have a '93 Eurovan w/ a 5 cyl. and automatic tranny. i always let it run for about 15 minutes or so each morning B4 i leave. this morning, i let it warm up then left and the "door-open-warning-bell" started sounding, the ABS warning light came on, the radio shut off, and the engine started jerking, all at once. i pulled over and put it in park, and everything stopped and it idled fine. once i put it back in drive, it started all over again. i let it sit the rest of the day, about 12 hours, and it drives fine. what the "$#%@!" is going on ! is there anything i can do to check for the problem without a computer and diagnostic equipment? please help, i'm sick of getting stranded in my EV. i love this thing but it's costing me, in more ways than one.
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Welcome, fallen1. You might also want to post your question in the Electronic Gremlins: Electrical Problems That Are Driving You Crazy discussion in the Maintenance and Repair Forum.

ClaireS

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review