Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    lstonelstone Member Posts: 8
    good deal..where are you located?
  • Options
    msoaremsoare Member Posts: 12
    i'm in CT, but i had other dealers offering me the same price, some in NY, so i guess they have the rebates until they get rid of the '06 models.
  • Options
    ddlllldddlllld Member Posts: 10
    Test drive tonight and like it very much, but pick a lot of small things and pretend to dislike them.

I got an offer as follows:
    bast + AT + package 1 + rear airbag+...
    sticker $27,8?? (do not remeber the exact number)

price: 21,500 + TTL and 0 APR for 3years.

Is it good enough? Or, too good to be true.
  • Options
    i think it's good deal..
    which state?
  • Options
    jrubrechtjrubrecht Member Posts: 2
    Can you please let me know if $23,872 plus TTL is a good price for a Passat 2.0 Package #1 + Cold Weather Package? This is after I took a 2K rebate for using my own financing. (My financing actually ended up ~$20 cheaper/month since they took off 2K) Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    jrubrechtjrubrecht Member Posts: 2
    Can you please let me know if $23,872 plus TTL is a good price for a Passat 2.0 Package #1 + Cold Weather Package? This is after I took a 2K rebate for using my own financing. (My financing actually ended up ~$20 cheaper/month since they took off 2K) Any help is appreciated.
  • Options
    atolkatolk Member Posts: 5
    I made a great and quick deal (used the numbers from CarsDirect) on a on 2007 limited edition wagon - which the dealer did not have. They spent 1/2 day getting the car, then another hour washing it, then another 1/2 hour to gas it. I finally came back at 8 PM to pick up my car and asked to take it for a spin. I almost felt guilty asking, but boy am I glad I did!

I had driven a dozen of Passat variants over the past few years waiting for the right moment to take the plunge. I have always been very impressed with every apect of the ride and the only doubts I had were over price and perceived reliability issues.

Now that I was ready to sign on the dotted line, I was a little disappointed. And I don't think it was a case of cold feet.

The main thing was the rattle coming from somewhere on the driver side and to the back. We took turns listening with wife and the dealer and agreed that it most likely comes from behind the back seat - the place where the narrow plastic grill meets the third window - not sure how to describe it more technically.

The dealer could not offer any encouragement other then that the service people will look at it on Monday. She suggested that it sounds like something fell behind the grill, but having read about nightmarish Passat rattles that no service visits can fix, I was very skeptical. I ended up walking away from a deal that looked very good to me and asking the dealer to call me on Monday with any updates.

This experience brought up a bunch of questions. Please feel free to answer as many as you feel.

1. Was I right to walk away from a brand new car thar rattled? Or should I have bought it and taken in to have the rattle fixed?

2. Should I request that the dealer's service department fixes this issue before I buy, or can it only be done once the car is purchased?

3. Should I even bother with this specific car, or is this a bad sign and I should just go look for another one?

4. Does this type of rattle sound typical for the wagon and has anyone fixed is successfully? I have heard of the other types of rattles - door, glovebox, etc., and some of them never go away.

Thanks!

AT
  • Options
    atolkatolk Member Posts: 5
    I offered $24,500 yesterday for the bare 2007 Value Ed Wagon, MSRP of $25,855, invoice $23,826 and my offer was accepted over e-mail by the internet manager. Then another dealer, which was located closer, matched the deal but acted like it was highway robbery and said they went below invoice - which is not true and a little disconcerting.

I based my offer on CarsDirect (24,493), but seeing as how the dealer did not balk, I am wondering if I could do better. I don't think there are any factory incentives for the 2007 that they can work with. And this is with 0% financing, not in lieu of.

Up until recently, CarsDirect quoted $300 under MSRP for 2007 value ed wagon, so I thought $1,350 under MSRP -and- 0% financing was killer deal. And yet it sounds like people here are able to do better. What am I missing?

Finally, what's the talk of $2K rebate if I use my own financing? Is this official? The dealer did not mention this.

Thanks!
  • Options
    jchinjchin Member Posts: 3
    Hello all,

In the market for a 07 Passat Wagon 3.6 4MOTION. At the dealer yesterday, found only one with the options I wanted (nav and bixenon). It had the following;
    Nav
    Xenon
    Dynaudio
    Rear Side Airbags
    Pakage #1 Luxury
    Rubber Mats, Trunk Liner and Splashguards.

Edmunds Invoice comes out to $37,503 including destination.

VW dealer is saying that the car invoices at $38,500 and this includes a port fee and a advertising fee that they cannot remove. Thi is BS right? All the Edmunds prices were correct on their price sheet except for pakage 1 which was $500 more at the dealer. Have you guys been paying the port/ad fees? Also, could there be a $500 difference between the Edmunds pakage #1 and the dealers? Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    oxx93oxx93 Member Posts: 67
    Just picked mine up tonight. Graphite Blue 3.6L with Sport Pkg 2, Navigation, rear air bags, 18" wheels. Window Sticker was $38,660, got it for $31,633. They were offfering $3500 dealer cash.
  • Options
    TOO good to be true....where did u get it?
  • Options
    anyone bot 2.0t auto with package 1 in bay area and what's the price?
  • Options
    smasssmass Member Posts: 2
    I just test drove a 2006 3.6L AWD sedan with cold weather. Sticker is $32.6k - they offered it to me for $26.6k. Seemed like a good deal. Car drove nice. I didn't like the fact that it had only partially power seats and no home- link as well as no automatic climate control. Also the gas mileage is 18/26 - probably average 20 in mixed driving - and it requires premium fuel. The AWD would be great if I was a skier - but living in Albany, NY I have had front wheel drive cars for 20 years and never been close to being stuck.

I think I am going to go with a 2007 Camry XLE with V6. Similar power, better interior, better gas mileage, regular fuel. All the toys (including bluetooth for my cell). I can get one for about $600 over invoice which would bring it in at the same price as the Passat. I really wanted to like the Passat - its a lot of car for the money - but I think the Camry is the better deal...especially with $4 gallon gas on the horizon...
  • Options
    werterwerter Member Posts: 8
    How is $23800 out the door for 2006 Volkswagen Passat 2.0T 4dr Sedan automatic no options? This is in mid-south
  • Options
    rodolanrodolan Member Posts: 6
    I just bought 06 Passat 2.0T Pkg.2 plus dynaudio and 17" wheels. Sticker was 29830, they discounted 4500 off. Wife really likes her new car. P.S. bought it in Houston, Could of maybe done a little better,but I only had 1 day to buy. Shopped about a week on internet. :shades:
  • Options
    kvikkvik Member Posts: 10
    Since 2006 Passat is not anymore build on more expensive Audi platform/hardware in Germany like the previous model (2001.5 - 2005), it's not anymore considered as the best value among the VW line of cars. As a matter of fact, the new Jetta and Rabbit (ex-Golf)are all built on the same platform/hardware as Passat with the only substantial difference - the size.

In this regard, other important features like gas mileage and cost of ownership should be considered when choosing 2006 Rabbit vs. 2006 Jetta (both seems a better value overall than Passat right now factoring-in the price).
  • Options
    hung8582hung8582 Member Posts: 9
    So i got a deal from the internet manager in LI, NY. she quoted me 32930 for a passat 3.6l 4motion awd with sport pkg2 and navi. do you guys think its a good deal?..i feel like i should get it lower..but she wont do it for any less. so did i find a good deal!?!?! please let me know asap..need to decide by tonite...thanks
  • Options
    Sure this price for all the great equipment you are getting is a great price only compared to the so-called upscale (luxury) mid-size sedans. No doubt, a great price for a great package considering one of the most safe/enjoyable advanced technology cars to drive today.

However, this is the most expensive VW package excluding the seller's failure - Phaeton (too pricey for VW to be a competitor with other luxury cars, brand image and etc). It is well known fact, thet folks with above $30K to spend for a car are buying instead BMW, Lexus IS 350, Audi, Infinity G35, even though these cars are not necessary a better package than VW Passat V6 Awd sport pkg. The question you need to ask yourself is whether you need all these features in this package, can you live without some of them and save money? I can discuss with you the major features also and which one make sense from safety point of view and which one only wastes your money, if you prefer.
  • Options
    thanks for the reply...but the thing is she quote me a sport pkg1 with navi for 31,800...i can do with out the sport pkg2, but i thought for the price it seems pretty good....maybe a 2.0t with navi..how much would tat run me?..im thinking it should be around 26k?
  • Options
    Hello Tonite,

Yes, it's right you can go for a four cylinder engine instead, no navigation systems, AWD is a good safety feature if you drive predominantly on icy/snow roads and off road. Otherwise, Passat has as standard features a traction and stability control, both are helping you to keep the car stable in slippery condition when accelerating and when turning/carving on a higher speed. In addition ABS breaks are standard also and are helping you to avoid loosing control when braking on slippery roads or a hard deaccelerating when breaking at a higher speed. With other words, you can save on gas a bit by eliminating V6 and AWD equipment that increases the car weigh, also you will drop the cost with a few thousands substantially. This way you are going to get as good a driving machine as BMW and Audi, only for much less! Hope this was helpful for you to make a right decision!

Good Luck!

Ken
    California
  • Options
    jtlajtla Member Posts: 388
    I couldn't agree more with kvik. The Passat 2.0T is a gem and great value. For $22k to 25k (depending on the option packages), you get a true autobahn-inspired driving machine. However, at $32k+ for the 3.6 model, you really should take a close look at G35, 325i, or Acura TL. The G35 and Bimmer certainly perform and handle better, and the TL has more luxury.

Just my two cents.
  • Options
    thanks for the responses guys!...i decided to go with something else. I test drove the tl, 325i and the g35...i finally settled with the lexus is250 AWD..basically its the passat that i wanted + 1500 more. the interior is amazing and you cant beat the service and reliability of lexus. was gonna go for bmw, but it jsut didnt quite fit my age(24)..the lexus has more of me in it, young and sleek..heheh
  • Options
    hmmm5hmmm5 Member Posts: 1
    Hey:

So did you get the Lexus? Thoughts?
  • Options
    yep! i sure did!! got the is250,i'm picking it up tomorrow. the only thing i dont like about the is250 is the headroom..its kind of low. besides that everything else is just perfect for me. passat was just not sporty enough for me. I wanted something sporty/luxury and is250 definitely fits my preferences. and the price isnt that bad at all compare to the passat that I wanted to get. first thing that caught my eyes is the interior design and comfort. i dont think passat comes close to the quality of the lexus. but again its a different car and totally different style. thanks for all the help guys.
  • Options
    I finally make it possible last weekend!!!
    2.0 AT: 21,500 + TTL and 0 APR for 3years

Here is my story.

It turned out that the dealer lied to me to keep the business from other dealers. It was too late to complete the transaction that day, so the SM dares to give me the above number. I came in the next day after making several calls, and was told it was Monday-only sale and was over. The SM, what a SOB!

I shopped around but decided to come back to them. Since I live just around the corner, I visited them almost every other day. I have test driven almost all their models from the new bettle to VW SUV, and had at least 20 price quotes. I really made them spend a lot of time and effort on me, which makes them hate to lose me a customer.

After playing enough with them, I gave them the same price as above+1500, and then found reasons to get the extra back. Such as for the same price I can get a honda with sunroof and those buttons on wheele, and how good price honda can offer me, honda has better reliability and low maintainence cost, etc. The SM is really an idiot and lies all the time, but he is so stupid that I believe all what I said.

I finally got the car for that price. It took me one month. I will start a new job next month. The car arrives right on time.

If you have a lot money and need a car right away, do not go there; they have too many tricks. If you do not have much money but have a lot of time like me (I quit my last job last month for the new one), go there and play with them. They do not have many customers in their showroom, so no need to feel guilty.
  • Options
    Oh.
    The dealer is the Northeast Volkswagen in Philadelphia.
  • Options
    deltron0deltron0 Member Posts: 1
    i received a quote for an 07 wagon w/ lux 2 package for 27641 (msrp 29630). this quote was from an internet manager in the chicago area. is this a good deal? if not, can someone recommend a vw dealer in chicago area?

thx
  • Options
    irishman13irishman13 Member Posts: 1
    Greetings All,

This is my first post and I am hoping to get some feedback. I am in the market for a new vehicle. I recently sold my 1996 Passat and would like to stick with the VW brand. I received a quote from an internet sales manager in central CT for a 2006 Passat 3.6L, sport package#1, rear side air bags, floor mats/trunk liner/mudflaps, and 18" alloy wheels for $31,990, TTL, doc fees, etc..not included. MSRP for said vehicle is $34,659. Edmunds TMV for my area for this vehicle is $32,526. I know it's below invoice, but the 2007 model, although it's a wagon is already out, and if/when I purchase a 2006 model, my car as I drive away has already depreciated in value with the addition of being a year old. With all that I have read with incentives, rebates, dealer cash, 0% financing, I feel like I could and should do better on a price. I have just started my shoppping, not in any rush, and am going to pay cash for the car. It sounds like hitting a few dealerships in my area is the best method of shopping; finding a dealer/dealership that I like and feel comfortable with, get a few quotes for the same vehicle.. Do I have any leverage by paying cash? Is the intial quote I received a decent one? there was a post back in July a guy got a whopper of a deal on a '06 passat 3.6 with rear side air bags, navi, trunk liner and matts, etc..for like 29 and change. I think it was like over 7g's below MSRP. I'm looking for advice, and anything is greatly appreciated. Best, irishman13.
  • Options
    charloscharlos Member Posts: 11
    Hey irish:

He's giving you no kind of deal whatsoever. I believe his cash back on that car is $3,500 and he's not even giving you that...You can buy a 4 Motion Passat with an MSRP of $38,330 at www.fitzmall.com for the price you were quoted and they don't tack on all of the dealer prep fees.

Also, I've found that the Edmunds TMV is always too high as well, probably because Edmunds doesn't want to offend any of its dealer customers who "pop-up" when you hit Pricing. Hmmmm, TMV, I wonder how Edmunds dtermines that number? Could it be....dealers??? Anyway, best of luck and I'd also note that here in Nashville, one dealer is offering $8,000 off select Passats - although that pricing is probably on the most loaded vehicles.
  • Options
    swsamswsam Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the dealer cash was extended through the Labor Day weekend, or did it actually expire on 8/31? And was/is it $2500? There seems to be very little info on it out there on the net. Looking for info on the Passat 2.0T. Thanks.
  • Options
    bat60bat60 Member Posts: 12
    Dealer in RI said VW extended the cash back ( 2500 on 2.0 & 3500 on 3.6) through Labor Day week. They do not know for how long after that..
  • Options
    Deltron-Check out the Autobarn in Mt. Prospect. I contacted them thru the internet.

Irishman-I bought an 06 3.6L sport 2 with navi, 18" wheels and rear bags. Sticker was 38,600 and they sold it for 31,600.
  • Options
    catherinetnccatherinetnc Member Posts: 8
    does anyone know if the $2500 sedan/$3500 wagon cash back to dealer incentive excludes any Passat models? I have a copy of cardeals and although it indicates these incentives exist, there is a list of models in the listing (GLX, 4 motion) and I'm not sure how they relate to the incentive for 2006 and 2007 cars. It does look like the exclusion does apply to 2005 TDI sedans.

Thanks for any info - I'd like to buy a VW this month!
  • Options
    ynn18ynn18 Member Posts: 6
    Please can anyone tell me what is a reasonable price for a 2006 passat 2.0T with package #1? how much should be lower than invoice? There is 0 APR going on right now and want to buy it soon.
    This is in Midwest area.

thanks and any information is appreciated.
  • Options
    swsamswsam Member Posts: 2
    22,500 plus TTL is not unreasonable right now for the 2.0T with package one (automatic). Might be able to get it down to around 22 if they've got many still on the lot.
  • Options
    ynn18ynn18 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks a lot!

But you mean 22500 is with 0 APR or not? I know the dealers would sell me the car with 22500 if I choose 2500 incentive instead of 0 APR.
  • Options
    bat60bat60 Member Posts: 12
    Car_Man / Anyone, I looked at a dealer demo over the weekend, It list at 37+ marked down to 28,900 with 4700 miles on it.. I can buy new (0 miles) with same package + 18" wheels for 31,600 and the color choice I want. ?? Is 2700 a good mark down for 5k in mileage. I thought the mileage discounts on demos was a dollor a mile (rule of thumb) ??? Thanks
  • Options
    catherinetnccatherinetnc Member Posts: 8
    darn that VW has no options available on the 2006 2.0T manual:

what do you think of this price (quoted in NC)
    2006 2.0T Manual Trans with cold weather (not value edition)

$20755
    $21825 o-t-d

Thanks
  • Options
    mdbpetry1mdbpetry1 Member Posts: 14
    oxx93- How does the sports suspension drive? Is it too stiff? Do you feel every bump? I had a dealer trying to talk me out of the sport package. I am worried that the seats in the luxery package are too squooshy?
  • Options
    fasterthanyoufasterthanyou Member Posts: 131
    If you are getting 0 APR too... is the best I've heard.
  • Options
    The sport suspension is firm, but I was driving a Ford Taurus before I upgraded, so I guess anything would feel firm.......The car is very solid and handles well, love taking off ramps at 45mph+ and not having to worry :)

I did not like the wood trim in the luxury package, so that is why I went with the sport package. I also have the 18" wheels, which really complete the car. I consider it an A6 less $20K.
  • Options
    kiddingyoukiddingyou Member Posts: 30
    Hello, forum

I was looking for a 06 passat 2.0T with pkg.1. One dealer emailed me a quote for 07 passat:

Sale $25531 plus tax (765.93) tag (69.00) and doc fee (399.00)
    Out the door $26764.93

Can I do better? When will the 2500 rebate expire? Can it be applied on 2007 passat?

Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    cincyzzcincyzz Member Posts: 2
    just got one pricing about 2006 PASSAT 2.0T VALUE EDITION AT. It is a new car with 48 miles.

22528 OTD.

Is it a good deal?

Thanks for any suggestion!
  • Options
    silverstarsilverstar Member Posts: 56
    Two weeks ago I test-drove a 3.6L sport Lux1 package.
    I could feel it was stiffer but not bothersome - my infiniti is way smoother - but the passat was more sure footed and more fun to drive. However, I felt the bigger problem (for me) was increased noise transmitted into the cabin - quite a bit of road thrum and slapping noise from tires.

Over long distances maybe more than I would care to listen too even though I would definitely enjoy the drive.
  • Options
    mdbpetry1mdbpetry1 Member Posts: 14
    Thanks for the feedback. Since my first message I have driven the 3.6 Wagon with the sport package and the 18" wheels. I was able to bring the car home and keep it over night. I agree with you that the car is extremely sure footed and powerful. I didn't notice the noise in the cabin, however, we already own 2 passats so I don't make a good comparison.

The car is for my wife and her major concerns were the lack of storage space in current passat, the turbo lag and 4motion. She like the new version, but didn't love it. I'm not sure what else I can have her drive as a comparison. She drove the A6 wagon, but it has poor storage. Both the BMW and MB are too expensive.
  • Options
    sammya_mdsammya_md Member Posts: 69
    Hi all,

Just wanted to share my experience. I bought a 2007 passat value edition/package (the base model, no package 1 or 2.etc) for 22,900 OTD here in MD. We have 5% tax which is included in this price. I think if you work backwards, the price before taxes, tags, etc is 21500 (roughly)..but we negotiated on an OTD price, so I am not really sure. They can break it down however they want.

Was a relatively pain free deal at King VW in gaithersburg, MD.

Great price on a great car, espically a 2007 i think so early in the year. Just sharing my expereience and to help others
  • Options
    roverguy76roverguy76 Member Posts: 13
    Looking to trade a 2001.5 New Passat with 70000miles for a 2006 Passat, possibly value edition, or one step up. Auto is a must. Any ideas on November incentives, apr, otd prices in NJ?
  • Options
    avillanuevaavillanueva Member Posts: 11
    Seeking advice on price of 2006 automatic 2 OT Passat Sedan with # 1 package + heated front seats. How does $23,970 sound BEFORE sales taxes and tags? Dealer is throwing in 4 car inspections. Thanks.
  • Options
    avillanuevaavillanueva Member Posts: 11
    Sorry, but I don't have any information on NJ dealers. The information I have is 0% over 36 months, or 2,500 cash for my Philly dealer. The offer I have is 4.4% below invoice. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    shoresailingshoresailing Member Posts: 29
    Received offer of $30K even in Southern NJ on Saturday. Dealer has other 2006 Passat 3.6 (without 4Motion)available. Is 4Motion and Navi worth it (about $2K)? How is the Navi on the Passat? According to VW website, special financing available for 2006 Passat. What is the rate for 60 months?

Also rec'd similar offer on 2006 TL on Saturday. Is VW worth buying over the TL?