Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen EuroVan

Comments

• bobcorbobcor Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 Eurovan is the Winnebago camper model. It has two identical electric cooling fans. The auxiliary fan, the one that only kicks on when you run the A/C or the engine is REALLY hot, had a crack develop in the fan blade assembly. Every repair shop I've talked to has said that I must replace the entire fan (over $500!), but the fan is FINE! Most fans appear to have replaceable fan blade assemblies, but they say this one does not.

Does anyone know if there is actually a way to change just the blade assembly? Could I substitute a similar fan blade assembly?

Can anybody help me to find a replacement blade assembly from a scrapped vehicle? Or direct me to someone who might?

Thank you!

Bob
  • coryparkcorypark Member Posts: 1
    I had my main fan bust the other day on the freeway. It was so loud and shakey that I thought my engine was about to blow up. I just started looking for a replacement today and so far have found a replacement blade at https://www.1stvwparts.com/partscat.html for about $50
    I also found the whole assembly at http://catalog.vw-auto-parts-wholesale.com/?make=VW&year=1999&Submit=Search+Now%- 21 for about $370
    I don't know if there is a difference. The picture of the whole assembly looks like maybe the blades aren't replacable. I still have to pull the assembly off the EV and take a looksee. good luck
    Thank you! The dealer has told me that this particular model of Eurovan has fans for which the blades can't be exchanged (but every other model can). Which Eurovan do you have? Is it the Winnebago camper van? I'd be curious to hear if the blades on yours look removable.

I'll be trying to check that out on mine as well.

Thanks!
    Bob
  • wulffman1wulffman1 Member Posts: 16
    Any update on this. I would never try personally importing it, as if the VW running costs in this country are not already insane, that is a recipe for disaster.
    That said I eagerly await them putting the T5/Multivan/Caravelle on the market, specially if they put in the new 3.6 V6. It doesnt look like its going to happen though since this model has been out in Europe for at least 2 years. I used to have a '96 Caravelle 2.6i (vanagon) in South Africa where they are still cult vehicles to families and outdoorsmen alike, and like the thought of getting its latest incarnation when it finally arrives here.
  • mcm133mcm133 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for right rear tail light lens. Thanx for any help
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,146
    A reporter is looking to interview people who have abandoned the Volkswagen brand in recent years because they needed an affordable minivan or compact SUV - the kinds of models VW doesn't currently offer in the United States. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, June 30, 2006 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about your decision.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• aran73aran73 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2000 full camper Eurovan. I am looking for something to put on top of the roof for extra storage. There is a space right above the driver and passenger side that measures 42"x14". Does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheers
    Aran
  • clydetheguideclydetheguide Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a full '01-'02 EuroVan camper. Anyone know of an indiviual seller? Thanks.
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    taillight lens - try partsplaceinc.com

roof storage - try yakima or thule - they make mounts where you can drill a hole in the roof to mount brackets to mount their racks. used mostly on the fiberglass covers that go over the beds in pickups, but i imagine that this is similar.

i saw recently that VW put the bigger engine in, put a sliding door on the left side and dropped the price drastically - i suspect that VW will have another go at bringing the eurovan to the american market before too long.

if they do, and its available in a stick, I'm there. A diesel would be even better, but....
  • bethtbetht Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at purchasing a 2003 EuroVan. I really love the vehicle with one major exception! The lack of shoulder harness seat belt in the middle row is of major concern for me. I have two small children and would feel very uncomfortable letting either of them sit in one of these seats. Really, anyone, for that matter. Does anyone know of a safe aftermarket application to install a shoulder belt restraint? If I can only resolve this one issue, i will buy one in a minute (or however long it takes to find one).
    Thank you.
  • sickboyjg2sickboyjg2 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me what happened to, or where this EV is?? I called H&R and they said they sold it 3 yrs ago...

http://www.hrsprings.com/site/index.html
  • hangaralf1hangaralf1 Member Posts: 107
    are your still using your child seats? if so, use them. strap child seat down using the lap belt, and use the five point child harness in the seat.

if not, you'd have to check into this, but sometimes you can get five point racing harnesses, check with a local performance store or racing shop - they might be able to help you. i like the five point harnesses better anyway.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    great . I'm not the only person in N america to have that happen to then! I have a 02 Winnebago Rialta which uses the eurovan cab/powertrain where both fans disintegrated. it was $444 a fan at the VW dealer in burnsville, MN. I have an ext warranty so what they paid made little difference to me, but check out europarts-sd.com , it was under 300.
    Do you still have the cooling fans? If so, what diameter are they?

Thanks,
    Bob
    I've got a 1999 Eurovan that I can't shift out of park. The mechanism that blocks you from shifting from park into reverse unless you have the brake pedal depressed appears to have failed.

1. Any ideas on the easiest way to disable the interlock so that I can take the van to the shop?

2. Is it a simple process to change out the switch?

Thanks,
    Bob
  • wholesolutionswholesolutions Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for this tip! You have saved me hours of troubleshooting. I had the same problem: the emergency brake was released but the brake light warning light stayed on on the dash. The lights don't come on and the climate control system doesn't work. I try this trick and POW! it worked.
  • greensoupgreensoup Member Posts: 1
    question to any eurovan owner? I drove up north to go skiing in my 2003 Eurovan (perfect van for the trip)the temp. went down to 8 below zero the first night. Went out side to start the car the next morning it started perfectly went to put it in drive and the stick on my automatic stick was frozen solid it would not budge.I let it warm up for ninety mins.and was able to slowly pull back (with the brake pedal depressed)and kind of chip my way into reverse then nuetral and finely drive!!!!!!! Has any Eurovan driver ever had this happen before and how do you resolve the problem.If any body has please respond thank you.
  • skampvanskampvan Member Posts: 3
    I have been pulling a 1600 lb Skamp and am in Mexico. The transmission hates the Skamp.
    Every small hill confuses the EV until it stays in first and I have to stop and re-start the engine. Then it's good for twenty minutes or so until it happens all over again. Any thoughts from anyone?
  • jeb3jeb3 Member Posts: 1
    A great suggestion is to change the transmission fluid very regularly towing especially with an automatic tends to burn the trani fluid yes it burns. change the filter in the trani also. you can do a visual test look at the color of the new fluid a drop on white paper and the dipstick put a drop and compair you cannot really put a defined milage to change at when towing.
    I had that awsome Dodge V-10 and I had recently changed the trani fluid and filter and then towed a very heavy dozer with it that everyone said could not be done and after I towed it about 53 miles and started my trip home I thought my trani was going out doing things like you are having and shifting in and out of gears unneededly. try it its not hard get a manual you may have to drop the pan and the filter shouldnt be much more than 10 bucks or so and reseal with rtv red silicon try not hurting the seal if so by a new one be very careful torqueing all the many bolts so as not to strip them in the aluminum trani.
    Thanks for the tip. Unfortunately, the 2002 EuroVan has a sealed transmission with no filler or dip stick and no filter.
  • gafgaf Member Posts: 1
    I would like to know how many Eurovans between the yrs. 2000 and 2004 have had transmission problems. VW doesn't seem to want to discuss this issue.
  • mcm133mcm133 Member Posts: 2
    Not sure on 2000 to 2004 but my 1993 Transmission was replaced at 52,000 under warrenty and I have heard VW has had lot's of problems with Transmissions on the 93's.
  • eddie30eddie30 Member Posts: 1
    yo, i have a 92 euro van i love the machine but it has been giving me some grief lately. this is the problem: if i leave it sit for a few days without starting it, when i go and try to start it i have a real hard time to start it. but when i get it started i have no problems starting it through out the day, but my temp light flashes and it is not my coolant level and it is definetly not over heating it is actually running to cold when it is under normal driving conditions. i just had the thermostat replaced so i dont think it is that. so if you have any questions or answers pleas let me know, thanks for you time ,, my e-mail is rjevn@hotmail.com so you can e-mail me or just post a reply.

Eddie
  • nen999nen999 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I was wondeing if you had any luck finding your middle seat? We just bought a 1996 Eurovan and are trying to find a middle seat, without much luck. If you have any leads-that would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Nancy
  • zavfejzavfej Member Posts: 13
    I do not know if this is the correct place to post this, but sadly, after 6 years or so of loving our EuroVan Weekender (although we never did get around to camping in it), it must be sold.

We are in NJ, are original non-smokers and (mostly) used VW for all service. It has >75K miles and all options (6 CD changer, summer/winter wheels/tires, all in realy good shape, carpet and rubber custom mats etc). We've had sheepskins on the front seats from the first week, so they have barely even seen the sunlight - same with original carpet - it has been covered by either set of mats every day since we had it.

We just had major tune up done (w/3 months) and changed O2 sensors, thermostat and a pan gasket. It looks, feels and drives like new - really. Just having it detailed didn't hurt!

I do know we are not supposed to list our email addresses or phone numbers, but mine have been listed in my profile. Please let me know if you or someone you know is interested in buying one. I'd like to get what they are selling for on ebay (usually over $20K) as this one is in incredible condition with absolutely no flaws or non-working parts, no dents, rust or anything wrong with any of the interior - we have all the original paperwork, owners manual and all receipts for work done over the years. It has all the original screens and additional privacy curtains - new, never used. Anyway, it's a great Weekender, and someone will get a terrific ride.

Thanks, Jeff
  • ClairesClaires Member Posts: 1,222
    Folks, I've created a DIY Tips topic and, to get it started, I've moved the ignition switch replacement posts there.

Need help getting around? claires@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Tell everyone about your buying experience: Write a Dealer Review

• jcolombojcolombo Member Posts: 6
    Hello,
    Did you ever use the 2002 Eurovan to tow anything? We are considering purchasing a boat and towing it with our 2002 Eurovan MV.

I have read the booklet info that came with the van and it states it can tow 4500lbs., but towing a boat for a long distance concerns me.

We love this van as it is our main family transportation and I don't want to kill it by towing something.

Thank you,
    jcolombo
  • wilsonm73wilsonm73 Member Posts: 1
    We have an 02 MV and tow with it regularly. We live in Germany near Heidelberg and tow our camping trailer 1500kgs or 3400pds all over Europe. The Germans use the T4 Eurovan/Multivan to tow all kinds of stuff. Biggest difference is that they mostly have manual transmissions. If you are going to tow make sure your Auto transmission has been serviced and fluid/filter changed. Tune up wouldn't hurt either.

By law we can only tow our trailer here @ 100kph and we can even tow in 4th gear until we get to the hills ;) The MV has good tow qualities with the ESP and ABS systems. Our trailer has it's own brakes but the MV has enough to do the job for us. If you want to go 75mph with your boat in tow you might look for something with a V8.

How big a boat are you talking about?
    I have been pulling a 1500 lbs Skamp trailer for about a year. In Mexico it was a nightmare. I have 100,000 miles on the EV and the transmission blew in Santa Fe and cost $1600 to fix. The cause was the transmission sensors. I think the problem was mostly age.
    The mechanic, who was very knowledgable, said the EV was designed to pull NOTHING. Rating and all.
    Hope this helps.

Steve
    Hello,
    Thank you very much for your response. I have spoken with the VW dealership as well and they have assured me that the van can handle the load. They did state however that the trailer needs to have brakes - which it does. We tested for a short distance today and all worked fine.

Interesting you live near Heidelberg, as I used to work for Heidelberg USA and have visited Heidelberg in Germany, it is a beautiful city.

The boat is a 20 footer, and weighs approximately 2900lbs. With trailer we are thinking we will be below 3500lbs no problem. :)

Kind regards,
    jcolombo
  • 99eurocamper99eurocamper Member Posts: 5
    I know it was a long time ago....but did you ever find that EV middle seat? If not....I have one that I would sell.

Larry in Boise
  • eaglewingseaglewings Member Posts: 20
    Jeff, can you tell me what is the difference between the Weekender and the MV model? I might be interested in a Eurovan that has the features of the MV model, i.e., a convertible bed and a pop up roof. Can you email me photos?
    Email: daluz@sonic.net
  • naturesvictorynaturesvictory Member Posts: 1
    I have a 92 Eurovan. The cooling light is on op. temp. is around 110 c. Neither Electric fans turn on.
    Could this be a relay problem. Thermostat and sensor have been replaced.
  • 5inline5inline Member Posts: 1
    My 92 Eurovan gas with 440,000 kilometers began hard starting during a -27C(-16F) cold snap last winter. Initially the problem was that it would go too rich and flood. If I disconnected and removed the cold injector it would eventually go with much cranking and black smoke. Once it started it would run fine-good power, response and fuel economy and start normally as long as it was warm. Over a short period of time the problem worsened until it did not want to start at 0C/32F. It has been into several dealers with no success. Computer scans yield nothing,new plugs, distributor cap, both coolant temp sensors and fuel pressure regulator have been changed with no improvement, in addition the starter has been changed after wearing out grinding the van to life. Now in warm weather there is no fuel delivered to the cylinders at all. Fuel pressure checks out and I can hear the fuel pump cycle when the key is turned. Other than this problem the vehicle runs very well, less than 1 liter of oil consumption for 6000 km. oil change interval. I am suspecting a computer problem but would like to be able to trouble shoot before buying an expensive part that may not fix the problem. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • 2001eurovan2001eurovan Member Posts: 1
    If anyone knows of a used transmission for a 2001 Eurovan please
    contact me lenny@rocktripper.com as soon as possible.
    LennyE
  • dfattigdfattig Member Posts: 1
    I am putting a diesel motor in my eurovan. The problem is it came an automatic transmission and the diesel works best with a 5 speed so I need complete shift linkage from shift knob to the transmission. If you have one the best way to contact me is by email as I am posting this in far more sites than I will be able to keep up with.
    Email beanfarmer(at symble)hughes.net
    (don't you hate spambots)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    That's one way to get around spambots, but it doesn't totally protect your address from them. The best thing to do is go into your profile and mark your address public. That way you don't have to post it and someone has to click on your profile to get it. The web crawlers can't get to it there. ;)
  • vw_ilovevw_ilove Member Posts: 3
    VW Parts Online might help you guys one way or another...
  • eurotrashereurotrasher Member Posts: 3
    I'm looking for a deep cycle battery as a replacement for my auxiliary battery. After hitting a few stores without luck, I thought I post this here. The problem is the hight restriction, because of the seat (max 7.5"). Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
  • rubenkoolmanrubenkoolman Member Posts: 1
    My ev is from 93 and I had the same problem. there is a little black box behind the left headlight with 2 fuses of like 30 amps that were broken. That fixed the problem.
  • tobarbertobarber Member Posts: 1
    I haven't had this myself, but read that some people have the shifter fill with water somehow. They drill a small hole to make sure that it is always drained. Not sure how the water gets in.
  • hectorr22hectorr22 Member Posts: 2
    I am unable to down shift into a lower gear using the shifter on our automatic transmission. It will only go into drive, park and reverse. This is a 2002 VW Eurovan Weekender with 32k miles on it. Any ideas?
  • jordo1jordo1 Member Posts: 1
    I know this is really old but did you every find a way to fix the idle problem when your 93 erovan was cold? I recently bought one and it has the same problem. Any advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated.
  • boehnleinjhboehnleinjh Member Posts: 1
    How can I get to the burned out bulb behind the furnace and converter etc. It appears almost impossible! HELP!
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    I have a 02 Winne Rialta which uses the 02 Eurovan drivetrain and if you are pressing the button on the shifter when trying to go from D to a lower gear?? don't!! I found that out the hard way coming down the Smoky Mountains! the VW ystem is different from some other types where pressing on the button on the VW will lock you out from downsifting!!
  • peterraopeterrao Member Posts: 4
    Is the microbus something that will become a reality? Looks great in the pictures!!
  • cclcalcclcal Member Posts: 20
    Here's the detials: 03 EuroVan MV
    White with gray

6-cylinder VR6 engine, Automatic 4 Speed Overdrive transmission, anti-lock braking system,heated outside mirrors,6 CD changer, sunroof, 7 seats.

thanks guys!
  • rhelberrhelber Member Posts: 2
    I have a roof rack VW part No. 701 071 126 that I bought after I purchased a 93 Eurovan. I've never used it and am interested in selling it. It has been mounted once. It is made just for the Eurovan and requires no drilling etc. I believe it is made by Thule. It is very simple to mount and I have the instructions and 3 tools it came with for putting it together and mounting. Also, I have the keys and locks. I can send pics if anyone is interested. Any reasonable offer.
    Hello,
    I have not reviewed the earlier discussion - what are you asking? Where are you located (what area of the country)?
    Thank you.
  • rhelberrhelber Member Posts: 2
    I'm sorry. I seem to have entered a discussion inadvertently. I didn't see how this site works. Anyhow, I'm in Columbus Ohio. To all of you in this discussion I sincerely appologize.