Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Volkswagen Passat Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• malik71829malik71829 Member Posts: 14
    hello,
    i leased a 2001 .5 passat gls (auto, monsoon,luxury) with zero down for 442.00/mo. for 48/mo and 15k/yr. was that a good deal? i have to know.
  • its_kristyits_kristy Member Posts: 37
    Don't know if that is a good deal or not, but isn't that something you should have found out *before* you leased it? Try doing a search on this and other forums. Many people have asked the same thing on this site.
  • 2001520015 Member Posts: 16
    if u r willing to pay 4-5K downpayment, then u could have bought the car for about $550/month !
    May be u could still do it ? try out...
    and at the end of the day, u could own it and after 4 years, could sell it for atleast $15K-$17K

but, thats my 2 cents...
  • applestemapplestem Member Posts: 4
    $28,300 (GLX, with Tip, In Dash CD and all fees, sorry I can't break this down more, but I just worked on a bottomline number rather than negotiating all pieces separately).
    ~ $944 (Tax, Tags)
    Driveout Price - $29244

I did my negotiating over the phone, there's 5 dealerships within about 15-20 miles of my home (Wash. DC area) and a total of 20 in the DC Metro area. So I called all of them with my top two color choices. Found three dealers with potential cars (one was a GLX 4Motion demo with 700 miles on it). Couldn't get the dealer with the demo to drop below invoice but worked with the dealer with my second color choice car down to the above price (but without including fees). I then called the dealership with my top color choice and asked him to meet the price and include fees. I was able to offer that I would pay for the car in full that day which I'm sure was a help. When I got to the dealership I was worried that they'd back down from our phone agreement, but they were great - very smooth and painless actually! I may have been able to drop the price a little bit more but I was happy with the price I paid, I know they made a little bit of money and bottom line is I got a car I love!
  • bullseye10bullseye10 Member Posts: 5
    I am confused about invoice on the 2001.5 GLX with Tip. I was quoted invoice of $28262, which is the standard $27187 plus $1075 for the Tip automoatic. Is this correct? Is Tip considered an option and the price tacked onto invoice? I was quoted a sales price of $29500 (Silverstone Grey/Black Leather). Seems I can do better...
  • mdugalmdugal Member Posts: 14
    was that deal you got with automatic??
    I guess my deal is somewhat comparable then. I'm getting $30,900 for the same car you have, but just brand new. Sounds fair you think?
  • ffxvwffxvw Member Posts: 93
    Actually, it was an automatic. I know this because Jodi bought it from my dealership! LOL
    What a small world...

Jason
  • yieldyield Member Posts: 1
    What happens when you negotiate for a car and when it arrives it has miles on it - lets say 300. Are you justified in asking for a discount for each mile on the car? What is a good discount?
  • mdugalmdugal Member Posts: 14
    was that deal you got with automatic??
    I guess my deal is somewhat comparable then. I'm getting $30,900 for the same car you have, but just brand new. Sounds fair you think?
    If you mean that the dealership went to get it for you, then no, you don't. That's part of selecting a car that has to be obtained from a distant location. However, your dealer should have informed you that they might have to go out of your area for the car.

Jason
  • pgh_carshopperpgh_carshopper Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had good experiences with dealerships in the Pittsburgh area? I test drove a 2001 Passat GLS at the Monroeville dealer. They made me feel like I was taking up their time by wanting to take a test drive. The salesman made no effort other than to ask how much I wanted my payments to be. He didn't explain the options, various trim levels, colors, etc... really liked the car and I am serious about buying or leasing a new Pas sat. I would like to go to a dealership that knows how to treat people.
    That price of $27,187 is the invoice price of the *Tip*, so the addition amount tacked on is their markup. The invoice price on the manual tranny is $26,664. Here is a link to ScottVW. that has MSRP and invoice pricing.

http://www.scottvw.com/newcars/passat/pricing.html

I need to correct my previous posts. The $27,187 is the invoice price of the Tip, excluding destination of $550. So invoice on the tip is 27,737. Sorry about that.
  • applestemapplestem Member Posts: 4
    Mona, yup, mine had Tip and it was brand new (the demo with 700 miles was from a different dealership and I didn't buy it). But you're looking for different options than I have so that would obviously change the price

And Jason, yes it is a small world. And for everyone on the Town Hall in the DC area, Fairfax VW was great to work with and very fair to me.
  • vwgator1vwgator1 Member Posts: 4
    Although I have never before posted on this Town Hall, I have been reading all of your posts for the past six weeks, ever since I decided to buy a Passat, and they have been very helpful. Today I took delivery of an indigo blue/grey leather 2001.5 GLX Tip for 28382 plus tax, tag, and state fees. By my calculation that is 645 over invoice plus destination. After driving one and talking to one dealer here in the Tampa Bay area (and realizing he wouldn't deal) I e-mailed the next five closest dealers telling them exactly what model and color I wanted, that I knew invoice plus destination to be 27737, and that I only wanted to deal from that number up. They were to e-mail me an offer and I would only give my phone number to those dealers who made a realistic offer.

I ended up talking only with the internet sales manager at Lindell in Tampa. The rest of these guys, with one exception, were clueless as to understanding the directness of my message. One told me to come in and sit down and tell him how much profit I was willing for the dealer to make and then he would go to his sales manager and, of course, he was certain I would be happy. If he had read my e-mail he could have known that I would not be happy. (Do these guys in the Tampa Bay area break in by selling white Buick Park Avenues before VW hires them?)

Anyway, Kyle Himpler at Lindell was so professsional and upfront that I was pretty sure I could get a good deal, and it turned out I was right. Although we talked about six times on the phone, today when I picked up the car was the first day we met. The other dealer costs like port prep, floor plan reserve, and advertising never came up because we dealt strictly on dollars up from 27737. How the dealer covers those other costs is his problem, and I'd advise you not to even get into a discussion of them.

The business manager offered me an extended warranty. I have since lost his quote, but I believe it was 895 for 4 years and 40000 miles with 500 deductible. That seemed awfully steep, but he did not push and I declined for now. Maybe you-all can give me some idea of what a good deal on a manufacturer extended warranty is. I can still buy the extension before 5000 miles are up.

Anyhow, thanks again for the schooling. The more educated we buyers are, the better that knowledgable dealers can relate to our wishes.
    I recommend that you visit vwvortex.com or ClubB5.com. Both have discussion formum dedicated strictly to the passat.

As far as the extended warranty goes, somebody just posted that question on the Vortex, and after doing a search on that topic, I saw about 10+ threads discussing warranties. Try doing a search on those forums. They are much more active that this one.
  • vwguy12vwguy12 Member Posts: 1
    Sorry guys, quick question, I am getting good deal I think on a glx auto 2001.5 (28,829 I/ad changer installed) and is the exactly color combo I'm looking for. Is 50 miles too much on a new car? When I go to take a long test drive before I purchase it, what should I look for?

Thanks!!!
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    You obviously ran into an incompetant in Monroeville...If you go to VW.COM you
    will find a *Dealer Locator*...you put in your zip code and the miles that you are
    prepared to travel and click...I started to do this for you yesterday, and, sadly most
    of the Dealers in Western Pa. have not discovered the Internet. When the list comes back
    to you, you can then click on the the name of that Dealer and it will take you to their site.

Unfortunately, they were all the generic set-up, direct from the Cobalt Group, with the
    very slight exception of Day Apollo in Coraopolis, Pa. At least they have listed an
    individual to contact for the net...John Softy...go figure, maybe he is...Check it out.

Wish I had better news, but I only put in a 50 mile radius...if you are prepared to travel
    further you might find a store where they take this as seriously as I do.

Good Luck...PS
    50 is a pretty average number of miles. (super approximations) The cars roll off the truck with at least 10 miles on them ordinarily, and they have to be driven after PDI inspection for another 5-10 miles. This means, that if you look at 5 miles per test drive, this car has been driven 6 times. If you look at normal usage for an owner of such a car, that's about 1 day of driving (30 miles per day = 1000 per month = 12K per year).
    One thing you should look for is how long the car has been there. If this car has been there for 8 months (obviously not possible with a new Passat, but good to do anyway), it really was barely driven, and you might want to have the battery checked. Also, inspect the body for scratches or dings. Try to see the car IMMEDIATELY after clean-up. I've heard some stories (probably mostly historical) of people using markers to hide scratches until after delivery.
    One last thing, at least in Virginia, a car has to have 500 miles on it to be considered a DEMO vehicle. This would neccesitate a disclosure of use.

Jason
  • bogueratboguerat Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased 2001.5 GLS Black/ 1.8T/ Triptronic/ Black Leather/ Luxury for $25,106.00 out the door. This is slightly less than 3% over dealer cost. The entire experience was fantastic and heartache free. The dealership was North Penn VW & Mazda in Colmar, PA which is between Philadelphia and Allentown. The salesman, Mike Thorrick, was down to earth and just there to sell cars and sell his dealership. Upon arrival I had explained to him I wanted to deal with them because they are my local dealership, only 2 miles away, but I had already had e-mail responses from 4 other dealers offering 3% over invoice. He valued my trade, and offered an extremely fair price, and made the offer. I am estatic about the deal, I have never walked away from buying a car satisfied that I had recieved the best deal on the purchase and the value for my trade, but now I have. I hope the dealership lives up to it's promise of being able to deliver on service. I love my new Passat!
  • taintedblutaintedblu Member Posts: 2
    After much thought and some haggling b/t two dealers so that I could get the color I wanted, I was able to purchase a 2001.5 GLS 1.8/Anthr. Blue/Leather/Luxury/Monsoon/6 CD Changer for 25,120 (including destination charge) not including tax or title. I feel confident that this is a good deal - or at least for me. I used a dealer's ad to leverage a price in my favor even though that was on a specific vehicle and not the one I wanted. Those newspaper ads are a croc anyway b/c they always list having 30 or so to chose and you get there and it is much lower. In any event, I haggled price with one dealer, then called the other after that price to get my color and he actually beat the deal and I got the color. Now I drive a car I enjoy - though the wallet is lighter.
  • titleist_ttitleist_t Member Posts: 2
    I am interested in a 2001.5 1.8T Passat - 5 speed. Does anyone have any experience with MO dealerships? I stopped by one near my house and they have the car I want at 25K plus almost 3K in "add-ons" such as moldings, pin strip, and other miscellaneous stuff I am pretty sure I can do without. Any advice would be welcome.
  • bullseye10bullseye10 Member Posts: 5
    I live in the Twin Cities. I have been researching (and saving) for a car purchase for 1 year. Edmunds and your comments in Town Hall have been invaluable. I decided on a 2001.5 GLX with Tip.

Internet buying is a concept that is non-existent in this market. There are only four VW dealerships in the area and I could not get a single quote via the Internet (even using Cars.com, Autobytel.com, etc.). 21st century???

I then went to two dealerships (something I was trying to avoid). I walked from the first when I was told they did not work up from invoice but rather down from MSRP. The second dealership claimed they could do no better than $1500 over invoice.

Down to two dealerships, I hit the phones. Both experiences were great. I didn't play them off each other (much), rather I explained exactly what I was looking for, that I would be buying in the next couple of days, and what I wanted to pay. Total time: 1 hour.

I ended up paying $884 over invoice (Indigo Blue, black leather, CD). Demand must be working in the favor of the dealers in this market... not much willingness to fight for business even on the last day of the month, last month of the quarter. But I feel I got a fair price and the dealer got a fair profit. Besides, great looking car!!
  • jsmillsjsmills Member Posts: 1
    taintedblu, Where'd you buy?

Any good experiences out there in Jax, Tampa or Tallahassee, Florida?
  • bdhsailorbdhsailor Member Posts: 24
    Hi,
    I just got the following lease on a GLX Passat.
    39 months @ 12K/yr for $417/month. No cap reduction, bank fee, security deposit or mumbo jumbo fee. Pay $417 and go. Sound ok?
    CD player is extra.
  • jpm10jpm10 Member Posts: 1
    I am going to be moving from Chicago to Dallas in the next two months and am planning on buying a 2001.5 Passat within that time frame. Has anyone out there had a good experience with a dealer in either of those metropolitan areas?

I have visited two dealerships in the Chicagoland area and they both said that Passats are selling at MSRP... Any help would be appreciated!
  • caryaloncaryalon Member Posts: 16
    www.carsbuytel.com is quoting a 2001.5 Passat GLX w/Tip at $27387 plus $550 dest. total $27937. They claim $27387 is invoice - Edmunds says $27187 - but they don't add the $92 and $25 seperately (they're included).

They quote the in dash cd for $395, the 6 disk changer for $400.

They claim that they are a registered NY new car dealer, but that they are not a VW dealer. (They sell all types of cars. They are located in Long Island City, Queens.) They buy the cars from new car dealers, the cars are fully (2/24,000, 10/100,000) warrantied (they will arrange for a VW masterguard warranty if desired).

Has anyone done business with them? Any concerns? Comments? Any reason not to buy from them?
  • carguy5000carguy5000 Member Posts: 146
    Find out if they are affiliated with Potamkin Autogroup, they just might be. Are you in NYC?
    If it is a group like Potamkin, they are legit but the question is...do you want to deal with any potential BS that might surface by not going through a franchised dealer?
    In reality, what is a couple hundred bucks when you are about to spend almost $29k to have someone to call when there is a problem or question?
    Several individuals in the houston and dallas area have reported purchasing their passats for $500 over invoice. Suggest you scroll through the messages posted on this forum and do a dealer search on vw.com. I know of one dealer, park cities VW, who gives personal quotes via e-mail.
  • jivarojivaro Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a reflex silver with black leather GLX, 5spd at $400 over invoice. Obviously, some dealers are willing to negotiate. I paid $27, 231 plus $344 for the indash CD for a total of $27, 575. The only fees above this are the taxes and motor vehicles expenses. I pick up the car Thursday afternoon and can't wait. After taking the car for a test ride, I was convinced this was a great car for the price.
  • caryaloncaryalon Member Posts: 16
    I'm from Long Island (grew up in Queens). I've been quoted 3.5% above invoice by the dealers that I talked to - Smithtown, Legend and Sovereign, so the difference is about $600 - 700.

Are you in NYC? Do you know of a dealer that will get close to carsbuytel price?

What kind of BS are you talking about? Is there much connection between sales and service in a regular dealer?

Thanks for your help and input.

Cary
  • ramsfan1ramsfan1 Member Posts: 2
    Since I want to be able to enjoy my new car but continue to be depressed reading about how much cheaper individuals seem to have gotten the same car in other parts of the country this will be my last post and visit to this board.
    Yesterday I took possession of a 2001.5 reflex silver/black GLX auto with in-dash CD for $30,075. I live in St. Louis and contacted every area dealer. This was the best offer I received. Some dealers told me they couldn't even locate my combination in the central region and the dealer I bought it from ended up trading with a dealer in Middleton, WI and having my vehicle trucked in. (He claims to have called over 80 dealers but who knows?) Aside from having to drive it home at night in the rain, the car looks and handles great. If you want a silver/black GLX in the midwest you'll have to shell out the cash or be lucky. Regardless, I suspect within a week behind the wheel I'll have forgotten the price.
  • jamgrafjamgraf Member Posts: 3
    Also known as "How not to sell a car" What follows is a transcript of the e-mail exchange I had with Bernardsville VW after sending in a form requesting a price quote on a Passat GLX wagon with a manual transmission.

Glenn Treich on 04/03/2001 04:04:54 PM
    To: "'Joe Graf'"
    Subject: RE: Quick Quote Form (Bernardsville Volkswagen)

Good afternoon Joe, my name is Glenn Treich from Bernardsville Volkswagen do you really want to drive from Virginia to get a car? or are looking to keep a local dealer honest? just let me know, I will do either of the two hope to hear from you soon glenn

--------------------------------------------------
    Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 4:30 PM
    To: Glenn Treich

Glenn,

Do you have a 2001.5 GLX manual transmission wagon? How much are you
    asking for it?

Thank you
    Margaret & Joseph Graf

To: Margaret Graf/

I do have two coming one is about 10 days away the other is about 2and 1/2 weeks, the price is 29,000 plus tax and tags. thanks glenn

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 4:58 PM

Glenn,

Thanks. Based on our research, we're willing to pay $27,500 plus taxes and tags. What colors do you have coming in?

Margaret & Joe

BETTER DO MORE RESEARCH THAT IS OUR BELOW COST LET ME if I can help
    Glenn Treich.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 5:33 PM

Glenn,

Actually, I think we've done adequate research. Our research shows the following figures: Dealer Invoice - $26,837; Delivery - $550; resulting in a cost of $27,387. A figure which includes nearly $600 of dealer holdback, which, while not negotiable, is all profit, if you have not received the car yet, as you mentioned. We already have no fewer than four bids ranging from $27,700 to $28,250. Would you care to discuss selling the car now? Once again, our offer was $27,500. What colors do you have coming in?

Thank you
    Margaret & Joe

ONCE AGAIN MY PRICE IS 28729.00 PLUS 84.50 FOR DOC FEE &10.00 FOR OUT OF STATE TEMP YOU PAY TAX IN YOUR HOME STATE. I HAVE IDIGO BLUE AND ANTHERCITE BLUE AND THE KEY WORD IS DO HAVE THANK YOU GLENN.

Sent: Tuesday, April 03, 2001 5:46 PM

Glenn,

I'm sorry, but you seem to be having a bad day and we are not interested in buying the car at that price. Thank you for your time.

Margaret & Joe

To: Margaret Graf

thank you hope you find a car before 2002

----------------------------------------------
    I haven't sent anything back, but needless to say, we won't be buying a car before or after 2002 from Glenn.
  • cliffybcliffyb Member Posts: 114
    Your post was humorous but ineffective in that you were not able to get what you wanted but rather effective at being an internet bully. The dealer was straight forward with you in that he did not want to sell the car to you for your price. Nothing wrong with that. Selling on price as a way of stealing business from the competition is like seeing who can lean out a window the furthest. I think that the salesperson from Bernardsville was on to the fact that even if he caved in and gave you your price, all it would result in would be your printing it out and taking it down to your local dealer. Gotta respect him for standing his ground! I have not seen anyone post here about getting the kind of deal your looking for.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    Cliffyb, I can certainly see why one would think that any reasonable price quote from an out of state dealership would be shopped around locally. Still, I have to agree with Margaret in that the salesperson from Bernardsville Volkswagen was highly unprofessional. If the salesperson thought that this shopper was only going to use any quote that he provided as leverage he should have just provided one polite and professionally written message and let that be the end of the story, rather than wasting his time sending numerous poorly written and unprofessional e-mails.

Car_Man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
  • edt2edt2 Member Posts: 1
    i was recently quoted following for a GLS V6 2001.5, with auto., leather and monsoon..$26,351 incl. destination, plus tax and license. is this a good deal?

E.J. Jr.
    Believe me, I am hardly ever on the side of the dealer. But that post was just an obvious attempt to inflate their own ego by harassing an out of town dealer and posting it on the web. I am not in the car industry but I do make a living selling. Like every industry there are customers like Margaret that we would love to just send five dollars to in place of being bothered by them. I guess my point is that I can understand the out of state dealer not taking the time to be more poignant in his responses-they were wasting his time.
  • rfh2rfh2 Member Posts: 6
    See posts 783, 828, and 878. I purchased a car about three weeks ago from Roy. I checked all around, (I am also from Long Island). My brother bought a car from this location in LIC several years ago. As you can see from the other posts I went all over and dealt with internet people and fleet managers. Anyway Roy quoted me a price of 28,500. Closest competor was $300.00 more and we'll talk about the cd changer when I get there. He could have a black on black in one week. Roy could have it in two weeks. Roy got the car from a dealer in NJ. It is stamped in the manual the vehicle check was done by that dealership. drawback was when the car was picked up by me, it was not as spotless as I had hoped. Remember the heavy rain a couple of weeks ago? That was when it was transported from Jersey to LIC. Car was clean looked great but not spotless. Anyway if a car comes in and you are not satisified they will send it back & get another. Don't like that one? Will send back and get another , give you your down payment (only $100.00!) back whatever you like. I didn't go that route. Took the car and am very happy so far. I am convinced by previous posting that when I go for service any nuances found will be taken care of. Sure I would have preferred the dealer a mile away but he wasn't worth giving my business to. The price quoted over the phone was the price I got the car for plus tax and tags. No nonsense. One other drawbacks are the location (LIRR to jamaica. E train to the stop (Queens Plaza) which is about two short blocks away and the ride home on the LIE which as you probably know is under construction. I have no problem recommending this way of purchasing. Good luck. PS Within the next year I will be looking for another car. I shop around and will be sure to check with Roy.
  • chickie3chickie3 Member Posts: 1
    I just put a deposit on a new 2001.5 Passat GLS,automatic, weather pkg, monsoon syst.,luxury pkg., and in dash CD, for $24,422 not including tax and $120 lic. fee. I think I did pretty well for a first time new car buyer that had to go it alone. What do you think?
    Note: I live in the NYC metro area.
  • 2001520015 Member Posts: 16
    Thats a the best deal i have heard... I had paid $1100 more than u for the same car... but, thats becz, i had only a couple of dealers here... so couldnt negotiate much and also, only one had the color i wanted... Good Luck !!!
    Also, u must have noted that u are getting it below the invoice !!! thats pretty good !
    I'm with Car Man and the Grafs. The tone of that dealer's e-mail was sarcastic, condescending, unprofessional, and that last response about 'hope you find a car before 2002' is just plain immature. That is a response you would get from a 16 year old.

I don't disagree with the dealer's position in not wanting to sell at the requested price, it's the juvenile way the dealer responded to the e-mail. By the dealer's response, he made it sound like they were asking for a free car! The requested price was only $200 less (~0.75%) than their lowest quote for crying out loud.

Bottom line, I just hope that dealer realizes that the ill-will generated from that e-mail cost him more than the $200 it would have cost him to come down on his price!
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    I am a dealer. A dealer principal at that (So I guess I have the biggest horns? :)

If I ever caught one of my emplyees sending smartaleck e-mails like that we would have a signifigant problem. That was rude and obnoxious and totally unprofessional.

However, I do agree with one point that they made but I would have handled it far differentl, something like this:

=====================================================================
    Hello,

I am John Doe and I am the Internet Manager for VW of Anytown. Thank you for your inquiry.

Currently I have one Indigo Ink with Grey Leather GLX Wagon on the ground that is unspoken for and I have a Reflex Silver and Anthracite Blue on the way that will arrive by the 15th of April. They are also unspoken for.

Our price on the car is $29,000. While I would love to earn your business, I am aware of the fact that I am quite a distance from your location and doubt I will be able to sell the car for substantially less than you will be able to get locally. However, I do have the 1 car available today, and the 2 available shortly if you are having difficulty locating the car near to where you live.

A Phone call and a Credit Card deposit will secure any of these cars and I can arrange shipping if needed.

Thanks again!

John Doe
    Anytown Automall
    ====================================================================

It's like I say over and over again... It's not WHAT you say but HOW you say it...

Bill (shaking head)
  • navy4navy4 Member Posts: 44
    Let me see if I got this right. A person would drive from Virginia to New Jersey to buy a car and save $200? I'm trying to do the financial math in my hear right now. Hmmmm, a 5 hour trip by car (basically, from the DC area to the NYC area), meals while there, two hours to do all the paper work (OK, maybe an hour). So just on time you have a minimum of 11 hours invested. When you are there you have to eat, two people eating at McDonald's $8. Gas costs, too. I'm guessing $35-40 for gas. Tolls, NJ is good for tolls, $10. In cash, $53-58 and 11 hours of time. $145 divided by 11 hours equals $13 an hour to save $200. Hardly worth the worry, as I've had bar tabs that size.

Oh and then, when you need service you take the Passat into the local dealership for service with the dealer stickers/license plate frame from New Jersey.

And, (from a former salesman) a guaranteed bad CSI score for the saleman/dealership. Truly a deal to pass on. Rude or not. Some people don't understand tact and you have to result to rude. The salesman stated his price, not asking price but price.

I agree with Cliffyb.
    As an Internet Sales Manager, I have been subjected to any number of rude customers. I have had customers call me a liar, f-word me left and right, and any other manner of abuse. That NEVER excuses the kind of responses this joker sent to a customer, particularly as the customer wasn't rude at all! Now I get more than my share of people wasting my time as well, and you still have to behave as a professional.

Jason

P.S. Who do I have to beat up to get cars like this guy has? I don't have a single Passat Wagon, and only two on the way from the factory.
  • shaq2kobeshaq2kobe Member Posts: 42
    if you could beat that price, why wouldn't you post it and leave it at that. If the person is that much of a penny-pincher they'll buy it from you, if not, they'll take that price to the local dealer and he either accepts it or he calls their bluff.
  • wantaglxwantaglx Member Posts: 1
    Edmunds claims it is $26,114 and my bank says $26,664. Comments?

Thanks.
    Certainly how you would have responded would have been more professional than the Bernardsville dealer. But if you read thru the posts the Grafs are really the first ones to get rude.

1.They request a quote.
    2.He quotes them.
    3.They counter offer.
    4.He declines their offer.
    5.They go off on him like they found the holy grail of car info because they know invoice pricing.
    6.The dealer sticks to his guns because he knows he will sell the car to someone local at his price.
    7. The grafs speculate that because the dealer will not give them the deal they want that he must be having a bad day.
    8.Now the dealer is annoyed so rather than telling them to get f***ed, he makes a retort to the effect that they want an impossible deal.
    9.The grafs post the whole thing on the net in an attempt to hurt a person(s) livelihood.

The grafs are the type of people that know the price of everything and the value of nothing!
    The Edmund's Price is for the Base Price...they clearly, or maybe not so
    clearly, point out that it is plus Destination-$550....$26,114.

What all neglect to add is Port Prep($25) & FloorPlan Interest Reserve($92).
    Interestingly enough...if you fill out a quote form for Cars.com or Carpoint, both
    of these items Are included...These are fees that are just like the attendant
    fees on your phone bill or cable bill...you have to pay them as part of those
    services or sooner or later the plug will be pulled. The Dealer does not have any
    control over the Manufacturers Accounting Policies, as we have none over the
    Phone or Cable Cos. Accounting Policies. We all just pay the bills...

I have contacted Edmund's about these omissions, but I guess my email was
    not too clear, and I will have to try again...they simply asked me if I thought
    there response was OK and they hadn't said anything.

Advertising Fees are added only for those areas that have them...for example,
    I pay none...In San Jose it is $75...In Sacramento it is $100, I think....

So there you have it...Go get your GLX and Enjoy!!!!
    Well...This certainly has been interesting...almost a pleasant change of pace, but having said that... what we have witnessed in this exchange is the quintessential illustration of
    employee irresponsibilty and incompetence...Mr. Treich has embarrassed his Dealership,
    and to a greater degree himself in a public forum...this one, The Internet; not Edmund's

I get inquiries from out of state everday, but I never assume that I am being shopped!
    When it comes to email one can never assume anything. Even if I get an inquiry from
    Sacramento or LA I treat it like the folks were from Carmel or Pebble Beach.

Error No.1 was SHOUTING at Mrs.Graf at 5:27:12 on April 3, for that set the tone for
    the rest of this, soon to become, public exchange. Does anyone here believe that he
    would have behaved like that in the Dealership? I think not...

Error No.2 was that he lost control of the sale, or for the lawyers among us, he started
    badgering his own witness...What in the world is the sense in that?

What if the Graf's were planning on Moving to Bernardsville? Certainly a beautiful, well
    moneyed community in No. Jersey...Last stop on the old Lackawanna RR for Essex Co.
    through Short Hills & Summit. Why did he Assume he was being shopped?...the word stupid
    comes to mind.

And instead of faxing these fine folks an invoice, or a pricing guide to perhaps enlighten
    them a bit, and help them get the car they wanted from Him, as Kristy said, he
    responded in a way befitting an adolescent. I hope they fire him. And it doesn't matter
    if they were shopping him either.

Here was an opportunity to create rapport & a possible sale. Maybe the Graf's are into
    horses and riding hunt, maybe the idea of flying into Newark on a Friday morning and getting
    picked up in their new Passat and spending a romantic weekend in Bernardsville at some
    quaint B&B, or driving over to Lumberville, Pa. and spending the weekend at the Black Bass
    Hotel was Exactly what they had in mind...no one knows...certainly not Mr. Treich.

Bottom Line...Take care of busines, be professional and try to make the buying experience
    the Best It Can Be...the rest you take to the bank
  • vdub1vdub1 Member Posts: 4
    hello. vwguild, jason, or anybody else know if there will be a price increase on the 2002 passat? any other significant changes from the 2001.5? i read at vwvortex that an in-dash cd will now be standard, can you confirm? thanks........